Going Home by SherryG
FeatureSummary:

Here is my alternative universe of Jericho. This story is about as AU as they come. Welcome to my world!    Jake plus one comes back home.......


Categories: Green Family, Jake/Heather Characters: Jake Green
Episode/Spoilers For: 1.01 - Pilot
Genres: Drama
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 129810 Read: 1172272 Published: 10 Jun 2008 Updated: 13 Oct 2008
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho. I am borrowing them for a while and I promise to give them back.

Special thanks to Marzee!!!! Our 2am conversations are very idea inspiring!!!

 

1. Chapter 1, The Road Home by SherryG

2. Chapter 2, Getting to Know Each Other by SherryG

3. Chapter 3 by SherryG

4. Chapter 4 by SherryG

5. Chapter 5 by SherryG

6. Chapter 6 by SherryG

7. Chapter 7 by SherryG

8. Chapter 8: The Storm by SherryG

9. Chapter 9: Moving In by SherryG

10. Chapter 10: Jake's Story by SherryG

11. Chapter 11: Jake and Heather by SherryG

12. Chapter 12: Valentine's Day by SherryG

13. Chapter 13: A Lazy Sunday by SherryG

14. Chapter 14: March in Jericho by SherryG

15. Chapter 15: March Madness by SherryG

16. Chapter 16: Storm on the Plains by SherryG

17. Chapter 17: Far From Home by SherryG

18. Chapter 18: Family Reunions by SherryG

19. Chapter 19: A Happy Beginning by SherryG

20. Chapter 20: Honeymoon at Bass Lake by SherryG

21. Chapter 21: The Baby by SherryG

22. Chapter 22: No More Ordinary Days by SherryG

23. Chapter 23: A Lazy Summer Day by SherryG

24. Chapter 24: Late Night Conversations by SherryG

Chapter 1, The Road Home by SherryG

The Rockies sped by the window of the train as Jake Green sat drinking a cup of coffee and eating a sandwich. It had been 5, almost 6, years since he'd left Jericho. He had thought about Jericho often though...wondering what everyone was up to.

He smiled across the table at the dark fhaired little boy sitting there watching a movie on an iPod. 'How in the world am I going to explain Jacob to Mom and Dad,' Jake thought. Jacob was almost 8 and he needed to at least meet his grandparents one time, just in case something happened on one of Jake's frequent trips out of the country.

Jake reached across the table and tapped the boy on the head. "Hey, eat up. It's a long time until we get to your grandparents' house."

Jacob nodded absently at him, totally engrossed in Pirates of the Caribbean...again. Without looking, he picked up a grilled cheese triangle and took a bite.

Jake smiled and picked up his coffee cup and lost himself in thought again. 5 1/2 years ago Jake had left home....never to return. Before he headed west to California, he had gone to Rogue River to try to get Becca to come with him. No one, not even his mom, had known about Becca and Jacob. Theirs had been a very brief and intense relationship occurring while he and Emily were having one of their more and more frequent breakups. The result of that relationship was Jacob.

He had seen Jacob as much as he could but it wasn't enough. He'd wanted to try to make a home for Jacob. He'd hoped Becca would come with him. Jake had always found it hard to believe what had happened that night had really happened, though he could remember it clearly, even today....

Jake parked his car beside Becca's. He could see Becca and Jacob inside the McDonald's Playland. Becca was eating fries and reading a book while Jacob climbed around on the slide. He always got a goofy smile on his face when he saw the chubby baby that was his son. Tonight was no different.

He got a Coke and walked into the playground area. He walked over to the table Becca was at, bent down and kissed her on the cheek.

"Hey, how's it going?"

"Okay, I guess," Becca said, quietly, not meeting his eyes.

Jake looked at her, eyes narrowed. He wondered what was wrong.

Jacob caught sight of Jake, grinned and ran over to him squealing, "Da-eee."

Jake picked him up and hugged him. Jacob was the only thing in the world that felt good and right.

Jacob pointed at the Coke, "Nink?"

Jake handed him the cup.

A look of anger passed across Becca's face. She took a deep breath and slowly let it out. "Jake, don't let him have caffeine. He'll be awake all night."

"Okay, what's wrong?" Jake asked, take the cup back from Jacob and handing him two french fries. Jacob walked back over to the slide.

"Nothing, Jake. Nothing at all. I'm just tired. I have no help, ya know. It's all on me. He stays up all night, I have to deal with it. My family won't have anything to do with me. You're always gone. But, please, don't worry about me, it's a perfect world and I'm fine."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about, Bec. I'm leaving. I'm going to California. I want you and Jacob to come with me. I think we can do it. At least we can try. Did you bring your clothes and stuff?"

"Jake, what in the world would make you think we could make it together? We fight all the time. You don't love me. The only thing we have between us is a kid. That's it."

"That's a pretty big thing, Bec," Jake said.

Jacob walked over, "Mo nink?" he asked, pointing at Jake's cup.

Jake looked over at Becca and when he saw she wasn't looking, handed the cup to Jacob. He picked him up, sat him in his lap and handed him a fry. He looked at Jacob closely and noticed new clothes.

"Bec, where did he get these clothes and shoes? He didn't have them last week."

"Jake, I talked to a lawyer. He has a family that wants to adopt Jacob. They're doctors. They've already hired a nanny. They gave him a bunch of clothes and toys when they met him on Monday. They've seen him every day this week. They want him by next weekend. They're going to pay all my expenses for the past 18 months." She looked at Jake, "I don't want to do this, Jake, but I have to take care of Jacob and myself and this is the best way I know how. They can give him so much. They can take care of him better than I can."

Jake saw red. "Are you outta your fu...." Jake yelled. Jacob had been on the verge of sleep. he jumped and started crying. Jake stopped, shifted Jacob to his shoulder, hugged him tight and rubbed his back until he went back to sleep. "SShhhh. It's okay, Buddy." Jake took a deep breath, looked at Becca and quietly continued, in a voice calculated to intimidate. "Are you crazy? You're not going to sell my son!! I ain't signin' papers to get my kid adopted out. I'm on the birth certificate. You can't do it without my signature and I won't sign. I'll hire a lawyer and fight you for custody. You have no idea who you're dealing with. There's no way in Hell I'm losin' my kid. If you don't want him, I'll take him. We'll be fine," Jake said, rubbing the back of Jacob's head.

"You'll take him. Right. That'll work. Jake you don't understand. I have no life. I can't do anything anymore. Nothing but change diapers and give bottles."

Jake took a deep, calming breath. "Okay then, come with me to California."


"Why, Jake?"

"Because we have a kid. At least try it."

"Are we gonna get married?"

"Let's see if we can get to California without killing each other before we talk about anything else," Jake said.

Becca bowed her head and took an angry breath. "Jake, just forget it. We never should've happened. We were wrong from that first night at the bar. There never should have even been a Jacob. Just sign the papers so we can be done."

"That's a great way to look at your son, Bec," Jake said, angrily. "Where're his pajamas? We need to get him changed before we leave."

"Everything's in the diaper bag in my car. I'll get it."

"We'll all go. I'll change him in my car."

"Fine. Whatever," Becca said, standing up and walking to the door without looking back.

"Are you gonna follow me or what?" Jake asked.

Becca popped the trunk on her car. "Put these in your car. Your trunk's bigger," Becca said, pointing at two suitcases and Jacob's stroller.

Jake handed Jacob to Becca and transferred everything to his trunk. "Bec, there's not much here. Is this everything?"

"Yeah. It's everything you need," she said quickly, the last part very quiet.

"What?" Jake said, looking confused.

"Nothing. I'm tired of listening to his screaming. Put his car seat in your car. You listen to him scream for a while."

Jake quickly put the car seat in the seat beside him. He turned around to take Jacob and watched Becca kiss him and hug him tightly. She had tears running down her cheeks.

"Ya know," Jake said, smiling, "he's just in the car with me. It's not like you're never gonna see him again."

He fought Jacob into the car seat. As soon as he could get one arm through a strap, Jacob would jerk the other one out. He bucked and arched the entire tire, screaming and fighting to get out. By the time Jacob was secured in the seat, they were both red faced and sweating. Jake leaned back against the dash to catch his breath. Tossing 300lb drunks out of Bailey's, when he worked there as a bouncer, didn't wind him this much. Jacob immediately started screaming, "NO! Out out out, Da-eee. Out!" Jake tried giving him the Coke but he pushed it away. Jake handed him a toy. Jacob threw it in the floor and stepped up his wailing.

Jake turned around and Becca was gone. There was an envelope wedged under the windshield wiper, but no Becca. He could see his name printed clearly across the front. Sometime during the car seat fight she had quietly gotten in her car and driven away. Jake felt like someone had punched him in the stomach, he couldn't catch his breath. Where was she??

He grabbed the letter and ripped it open. Snatches of that letter were forever burned in his memory, "relationship had been a mistake", "Jacob should never have happened", "not cut out to be a mother at least not now",  "anyone else could do a better job taking care of Jacob", "I want to be carefree and do what I  want to do, not be tied to a kid for the rest of my life", "please love him enough for me too". He and Jacob had never seen her again.

His mind racing and his stomach churning, Jake drove. Jacob screamed half the way to Jericho, finally exhausting himself and falling asleep, drenched in sweat. It was only 10 o'clock when he hit town, and he even drove down his parents' street. The lights were on in the living room, and for a brief moment he considered stopping. But then he imagined what Johnston would say and do, and he'd kept going, heading west to California.

The first year had been awful but he and Jacob slowly learned each other and life went on and got better. He could tell within about half a degree what a temperature was by feeling Jacob's forehead and no ear infection would ever get the best of him. Where five years ago, he wouldn't have gone anywhere without his little black book and a condom, he now carried Tylenol and an asthma inhaler. He grinned to himself, he used to be the ultimate night owl, usually sleeping til noon, now he was in bed by eleven and up at six .....boy things had changed. He had talked to his mother a couple of times a year but had never told her about Jacob....he didn't know why... he just never did.

Jake pulled himself out of the past and back to the train. 'What a mother,' Jake thought. To this day, he couldn't believe she had been willing to sell Jacob to the highest bidder and then just ended up totally abandoning him. Becca hadn't been the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but at least she had given him Jacob without a fight. He was grateful for that, if nothing else. He looked at the little boy in front of him and smiled. Jacob was still away in the world of pirate ships and gold.

Jake tapped him on the head again, "It's only about 10 more minutes....eat your lunch and put the iPod away".

Jacob gave a sigh as big as the world and put his iPod in his backpack. Instead of eating he just pushed the sandwich around the plate.

"Dad, do you think they will like me?" Jacob asked worriedly.

"Do I think they will like you? Just wait til your grandmother sees you. She is going to hug you to death. I definitely think they are going to like you", Jake said while ruffling Jacob's hair.

"What about Grandpa?"

"Yeah, Grandpa'll like you too," Jake said, smiling. "Remember, your grandfather is grouchy most of the time but he doesn't mean anything by it."

"Oh...like you on mornings after you go out with Uncle Freddy?"

"Uh,yeah, something like that. Don't worry about your grandfather. Everything's gonna be just fine." Jake hoped that was the case. He was worried about his father's reaction. He knew what his mother would do, but Johnston Green had always been the unknown factor.

The train pulled into the station. They got out and walked onto the platform.

"Alright," Jake said, stretching and yawning, "it's a long way lets get started." He put his hand on Jacob's shoulder and steered him through the crowd.

"Can we stop at McDonalds? I'm hungry."

"What about that sandwich you just had?"

"Oh yeah, I forgot. But I really am hungry."

"Does it have to be McDonalds? Can't we stop somewhere else? Just the thought of McDonalds makes me sick. How about Burger King or Taco Bell? You like those."

"Come on, Dad. I want a Happy Meal. There's really good toys right now. Please??"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jake looked in the backseat as he made the turn onto Chestnut Street. Jacob was sprawled across the seat sound asleep. He made thru the Richmond's, Gracie Leigh's and Emily without any explanations. He wasn't ashamed of anything to do with Jacob, he just wanted his mom to be the first to meet him. He had called his mom yesterday and told her he was coming home for the day to see his grandfather and that he was bringing someone for her to meet. He knew that his mother had to have thought it was a girl that Jake was bringing home....boy was she gonna get a surprise.

He pulled the car up in front of the house he had grown up in and sat there a minute.... 'Okay...here we go,' he thought. He reached over the backseat and shook Jacob awake.

"Hey, wake up. We're here"

********** ********** ********** **********

Thanks for reading. Feedback is very much appreciated!!

Sherry

 

Chapter 2, Getting to Know Each Other by SherryG

 DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho. I am borrowing them for a while and I promise to give them back.

Special thanks to Marzee and Skyrose1025!!!! Our conversations are very idea inspiring!!!

************ ************ ************ ************

"Well, that could have gone better," Jake thought to himself as he turned his car west towards his ultimate destination, Lemoore, CA.   He couldn't believe that his father still treated him like a sixteen year old kid.
 
It had gone pretty much the way he thought it would when he went in the back door.   His mother was weepy and very excited to see him, Eric was his very politically correct self righteous self and his dad...well, dad was dad.    Nothing had changed about Johnston Green in the last five years.
 
Jake had left Jacob out on the back porch getting acquainted with the dog.   Gail kept looking over Jake's shoulder, obviously waiting for someone else to come in.   
"Well, Jake, where's the special person you brought home?   I don't see her....uh, anyone."
 
"Oh yeah.  I forgot about that," Jake said, openly grinning at his mother's anxiousness.    "I don't think it's exactly what you're thinking though."   He opened the backdoor and motioned for Jacob to come in.   He stood in the kitchen with Jacob in front of him. 
 
"Everyone, this is Jacob.  My son."
 
Gail's mouth was hanging open and tears started running down her face.    Johnston Green felt like a bucket of ice water had been poured over his head.    Jake had a child.   That wasn't possible.   
 
"Oh my goodness, oh my goodness," Gail kept saying with her hand in front of her mouth.   She was beside herself.   "Your son?!!  Jake, how could you not tell me?"   She sank down in front of the little boy and hugged him.
 
"Jacob, how old are you?" Gail asked with a quivering voice.
 
"I'm seven and three quarters," Jacob answered.   
 
"You're all grown up," said Gail, sniffing and hugging him again.
 
Johnston slowly walked over and looked down at the little boy.   His mind jumped back twenty years and he saw Jake.   This child was Jake's twin.   There was no doubt that this was Jake's son.   They looked exactly the same all the way down to the mischievous gleam in Jacob's eyes.     The cold feeling had settled into a ball of lead in the pit of his stomach. 

 
"Hello, Jacob, I'm your grandfather."
 
Jacob glanced nervously up at his father and Jake gave him a quick wink and nod.  Jacob extended his hand and said, "Hello, Sir."
 
That small hand in his was like a lightening bolt.    He had a grandchild.   A grandchild that he knew nothing about.     A grandchild that he hadn't been able to show off to his friends at church, that he hadn't been able to teach to fish or hunt.   A grandchild that Jake had kept from them.
 
Gail got Jacob settled at the kitchen table with some cookies and milk.   Jacob turned his iPod on and was soon back in the world of Pirates of the Caribbean.
 
In the living room, things were tense.     Johnston was mad....so mad he was turning red.   Gail sat down on the couch beside Jake.    Gail held up her hand to stop Johnston from yelling.   She turned to Jake and started talking.
 
"Jake, why're we just now finding out about Jacob?    Where's his mother?   Who is his mother?  What kind of boy is he?  Why in the world would you not tell us?," Gail's voice was starting to rise.   "We've lost years of our only grandchild's life.     He was what, almost two when you left?   In all this time you didn't consider the fact that your son might want to know his grandparents or that his grandparents might want to know him.   Why, Jake, why?"
 
Johnston had finally gotten himself under some sort of control.   "Jake, this is one of the most irresponsible things you've ever pulled.    I'm interested in knowing more about the mother too.    Was she one of those drug people you hung out with or one of Jonah's floozies?     Did Emily know?   It about killed her when you skipped out of town.   Is that why....she found out about this boy.     Where the hell have you been?   How have you taken care of a child?   Last time we saw you, you weren't responsible enough to keep a cat alive.   Are you doing something illegal....again?   When're you going to grow up and do things the right way?"
 
Gail heard a low bump and looked up to see Jacob standing beside the dining room table.    His eyes were big and his mouth slightly open.      Gail closed her eyes, feeling sick to her stomach.   'How much did he hear?' she wondered.
 
She cleared her throat loudly and pasted a smile on her face.   "Hi, Honey."
 
"Um....I need to go to the bathroom.    Where is it?" he asked, obviously uncomfortable.
 
"I'll show you, Sweetheart," Gail said.    She put her arm around his shoulders and led him back toward the kitchen.
 
Johnston looked back over at Jake.   "I want some answers Jake and I want them now," he whispered, madly.
 
Gail came back into the room.   "Jake, he's a sweet boy."   
 
Jake smiled at his mother, "He's on his best behavior.   He can be a handful."    Jake took a deep breath.   Here we go,' Jake thought, 'the lecture was pretty much the same as the lectures five years ago.'      "First off, no, she wasn't one of Jonah's people and she didn't use drugs.    She was a nice girl.   I guess she still is.    She wasn't from Jericho so you don't know her.    A lot of those times when I was gone and you didn't know where, I was with her and Jacob.    He was born early so he spent a while in the hospital and I spent a lot of time there.    Emily doesn't know.   It didn't really concern her.   I met Jacob's mother during one of our many breakups."
 
"You're not going to tell us her name, are you," Johnston growled.
 
"No, I'm not.   It wouldn't change anything.   There's no reason to," Jake said.    "After Chris died I knew I had to leave.   Get out or I would end up like him.    I went to Jacob's mother and tried to talk her into leaving with me.    While I was putting the baby in his carseat she left.   She taped a note to the car and took off.   We haven't seen her since.    It took a while but I have full custody.   She couldn't see him now even if she wanted to...but that's not a problem because she doesn't want to see him.    She decided when Jacob was 18 months old that she wasn't cut out to be a mother at that time and that was that.    I thought about coming back to Jericho but knew what Dad would do and what people would think.   Jonah was still here and looking for revenge.   I had to leave.    I took Jacob and I left."
 
"Why pick now of all times.   Are you trying to cost me my election?" Johnston asked.  "You've been gone for almost six years and you pick now to come back?" 
 
"I'm not here to interfere with your campaign, Dad.   All I wanted was for you to meet your grandson and get your signature on Grandpa's stuff.   Then I'll visit Grandpa and we'll leave.    No one has to know we were here."
 
It just went from bad to worse with Eric throwing in his two cents worth.   Johnston refused to turn over the money.   
 
Gail talked Jake into not taking Jacob with him when he left.   She wanted a chance to get to know her grandson.    She and Jacob were set to fly to California on Saturday.     Jake's plan was to "surprise" them at the Wichita airport. 
 
An hour after telling Jacob goodbye and visiting his Grandfather, he was on this way California.    He had forgotten how much nothing there was in Kansas.   Jake glanced right and out in the distance saw a mushroom cloud.
 
"Oh shit!"
 
And then he heard the screech of brakes and everything went black..........
 
************************************
It was a bright, sunny morning.    The breeze coming in thru the kitchen window had the sharp smell of the ocean.     
 
As Jake came downstairs he could hear Kate gently prodding Jacob to eat so he wouldn't be late for school.    Mrs. Kate Riggs was a 50-something English nanny/cook/housekeeper.    She was the only mother Jacob knew and she kept the house running.   Without her there, Jake shuddered to think what the house would be like.
 
"Jacob, eat your breakfast," Kate said in her clipped British accent.
 
"Yes, Ma'am"
 
"Did you get your book report off the printer?"
 
"Uh huh," Jacob mumbled while he read a comic book.
 
"Where's your tie?  Sister Mary will give you a demerit for out of uniform"
 
"Remember, if you made a hundred on the spelling test yesterday you didn't have to wear a tie today.   I made a hundred."
 
"Are you sure?    I don't want another red note sent home in your backpack."
 
"I'm positive."
 
Jake came into the kitchen and snapped off the TV.   "Ok, Bud, you have about five minutes before Mrs. Koger gets here for carpool.   Go get your stuff.   Remember, I'm picking you up at 10:30 for our trip."
 
"Oh yeah, I forgot," Jacob said as he slipped his backpack on his shoulders.   "Will we be back in time to go to Joey's birthday party?  It's an army party and I really want to go."
 
"I don't know.   We'll see," Jake said as he hugged Jacob.
 
"Bye, Nana," Jacob said as he hugged her goodbye and gave her a kiss on the cheek.   "I'll see ya in a few days!"   
 
Jacob was just about out the front door when Jake remembered the note .   "Hey, don't forget to give Sister Mary the note in your backpack or it'll be an unexcused absence."
 
"Ok, Dad," Jacob yelled as he ran out to the sound of a honking horn.
 
Jake grabbed a cup of coffee.    "So, you're going to fly out this evening.   You'll be there to pick us up, right?"   Jake asked........

**************************************
 
Jake jerked awake.   He was still in Kansas.   He'd seen a mushroom cloud.   Glass was everywhere.   His head was killing him and his leg was on fire.   He had been in an accident.    He shook his head trying to wake himself up.   He jerked his head to the right to look in the back seat....Where was Jacob?   Was he alright??    Everything turned gray and swam out of focus.    He closed his eyes and opened them slowly and everything came sharply back.     Jacob was safe.   He was in Jericho.
 
Jake took a deep breath and pushed open the door of the wrecked car.    There were only two things on his mind...... Jacob and getting back to Jericho.
 
***************************************
 
Jacob stood silently looking out the window, watching his father and grandmother drive away.    He turned and looked at the grandfather and uncle that he had just met.   Jacob bit his bottom lip.
 
"Son, why don't you have a seat," Johnston said, motioning towards the couch.    "Are you thirsty?   Do you want something to eat?" he asked.   He had no idea what to talk to his grandson about.
 
"No thank you, Sir,"   Jacob said, looking down and scuffed the toe of his shoe against the floor.
 
"Where do you and Jake live?" Eric asked.
 
"San Diego," Jacob said, so quietly that Johnston and Eric barely heard him.    He looked up.    "May I please get my backpack?"
 
"Of course," Johnston said, smiling, "you can do whatever you want.    There's some Cokes in the refrigerator if you want one."
 
Jacob nodded silently and quickly walked towards the kitchen.
 
**********     **********     ***********
 
Eric watched Jacob walk into the kitchen and looked at his father.
 
"Can you believe this?  After all these years, he shows up with a kid.   Unbelievable," Eric said, shaking his head.
 
"I think it's very Jake.   Irresponsible," Johnston said.     He looked towards the kitchen and then back at Eric, "He looks like he's well taken care of.    I guarantee you that's not a $5 haircut and those clothes didn't come from WalMart.    Jake must be doing something right.    It'll be interesting to see what comes of this."
 
"That it will," Eric said, standing up.   "I'm gonna head back down to Town Hall.   I'll see you later."
 
After Eric left, Johnston walked into the kitchen.   Jacob was no where to be seen.    He finally heard him, mumbling under his breath.     When Johnston walked out on the back porch, he saw his grandson sitting on the steps playing a video game.
He sat down on the steps beside Jacob and looked over his shoulder.   
 
"Whatcha got there?   That doesn't look like something a little boy should be playing."
 
Jacob stiffened and pulled his ear buds out.  "An iPod and a PSP."
 
"What are you playing?"
 
"Grand Theft Auto," Jacob said quietly.
 
"Your father lets you play that?" Johnston asked, his voice tinged with anger.   
 
"No, Sir," Jacob said, shaking his head.    "Dad would be really mad.    I'm not supposed to play anything rated teen or higher.   I borrowed it from my friend Joey's big brother."
 
"If Jake would be really mad maybe you should turn it off.    What are you listening to?"
 
"SpongeBob."
 
They sat in uncomfortable silence for a few minutes.   Both looking out at the backyard.
 
Johnston noticed that Jacob had changed out of the neat, tucked in, Polo shirt to a burgundy cartoon character t-shirt.   He smiled, thinking how that was just like something Jake would do.   Forget neat, go for comfortable.
 
"Who's that on your shirt?" Johnston asked, trying to figure out something to talk about.
 
"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends," Jacob answered, looking down at his feet.
 
"I don't know that one," Johnston answered.
 
"It comes on Cartoon Network," Jacob muttered.
 
He pointed to Jacob's scabbed over chin and right arm and elbow.    "What'd you do there?   Looks like you lost some skin."
 
"I wiped out on my skateboard.     I came off the ramp at the wrong place and skidded to a stop."
 
"That sounds like it hurt."
 
"It burned when I picked the gravels out."
 
Johnston slapped his thigh, making Jacob jump.   
 
"Do you like pizza?"
 
"Yes, Sir."
 
"What do you like on it?    Your grandmother is trying to starve me in the name of heart healthy eating.    I haven't had a good pizza in a long time.     I just happen to have Pizza Hut's number memorized."
 
Jacob smiled shyly at his grandfather.   "I like pepperoni and extra cheese.   Dad always gets sausage too but I pick it off."
 
"How about onions and peppers?"
 
Jacob grimaced.  "No, Sir."
 
Johnston laughed, "I don't like them either.   Let's go in and I'll call for a large pepperoni, extra extra cheese pizza and sausage on my half.     We'll get some ice cream, too.   What kind of ice cream do you like?"
 
Jacob smiled and put his game and iPod away.   "I like strawberry with chocolate syrup and chocolate chips."
 
"Whipped cream?"
 
"The spray kind," Jacob answered, smiling shyly.
 
Johnston stood up and held out his hand.     Jacob looked up at him and very hesitantly took it.   
 
"Son, I'm your grandpa," Johnston said, kneeling in front of Jacob, "there's no need to be afraid of me."
 
Jacob smiled and nodded, "Okay."
 
**********     **********     **********     **********
 
Gail walked in the house an hour later to find they had polished off most of a large pizza and were each working on bowls of strawberry ice cream covered in chocolate syrup.   
 
Gail raised her eyebrows in disbelief.   
 
"Johnston Green?  What is that?"
 
"Strawberry ice cream with chocolate syrup."
 
"No.  That," Gail said, pointing at an open beer in front of him.   "I can't believe you're drinking beer in front of your grandson."
 
"My dad and Uncle Freddy do it all the time.   You can't enjoy pizza without a beer."
 
"Pizza too?   What about your diet?"
 
"Your grandson wanted pizza and ice cream for dinner."

"Um hmm," Gail said, pursing her lips and looking at her husband.
 
"I really did, Gran," Jacob said, winking at his grandfather.
 
Gail started laughing.   "Did you at least save me a piece?" she asked, hugging Jacob and kissing his temple.
 
"Sure," Jacob said, putting the last two pieces of pizza on a paper plate and handing it to his grandmother.
 
"When we get done I'll take you upstairs and show you where you'll sleep while you're here.   It's Jake's bedroom," Johnston said, drinking the last drink of Coor's Lite.   "We were going to turn it into a den.  I guess it's a good thing we didn't," he said, winking.
 
"Can I call my Dad?" Jacob asked, pushing pizza crust around his plate.
 
"You'll need to give it a while.   The cell phone reception where he's driving at right now isn't very good.    When he gets closer to Denver you'll be able to call.   That'll be in a few hours," Gail said, smiling sympathetically at Jacob.    "You're gonna have fun here, Sweetheart.   You just wait, you'll see.   What do you like to eat?  We'll plan what we'll do tomorrow around your favorite places to eat."
 
"In 'n Out Burgers and Marie Callender's."
 
"We don't have those here.   Maybe we can find something close.    What do you get at the burger place?"
 
"I get a 1 by 2 animal style, no onions, Neopolitan shake and well done fries."
 
"Okay, what's that?   I can honestly say I've never heard of that," Gail said laughing.
 
"Cheeseburger fried with mustard.   It has extra cheese.   I could show you on the internet," Jacob offered, excitedly.     He stopped and looked at her, his eyes big, and asked, "You do have internet out here, right?"
 
Johnston barked out a laugh.   "Yes, Son, we live close enough to the paved road to get internet," he said, pulling Gail's laptop towards them from the end of the dining room table.
 
Johnston watched Jacob expertly boot up the computer and try to launch Internet Explorer.   An error message came up.   "Hmmm," he said, "that doesn't happen much.   We'll try again in a few minutes.   Now the only Marie Callender I've heard of is a frozen dinner.   I didn't know there was a restaurant."
 
"Yes, Sir.    Me and Nana go there every Sunday after Mass.    She says I need to go somewhere to practice my manners.     Last week Father Kevin came with us."
 
"Mass?" Gail asked, confused.    "Why would you go to Mass?"
 
"Because Nana says I have to.   Sometimes Dad goes but not much.   Him and Sara usually sleep late."   Johnston and Gail looked at each other, with raised eyebrows, over the top of Jacob's head.
 
"Sleeping late sounds like Jake," Johnston said, chuckling.    "I think what your grandmother meant is that Jake isn't Catholic.   It's strange that you would go to Mass."
 
"Yes he is," Jacob said, nodding his head.   
 
Gail looked at Johnston and shook her head quickly.   She looked back at Jacob, "We don't have Marie Callender's here either but we can go to New Bern and eat at Cracker Barrel.   You'll like that.   We can see a movie while we're there if you want to."
 
"Okay," Jacob said, biting his bottom lip.
 
"Who's Nana?" Gail asked, feeling an unbelievable jealousy towards a woman she had never heard of until 10 minutes earlier.    Jacob's obvious familiarity with her spoke of a long relationship.
 
"She's my Nana," Jacob said, shrugging.    When he saw a confused look on Gail's face, he tried to elaborate.   "You know, she makes me eat broccoli and picks me up from school, and takes me to karate.  She takes care of me, since I was little."
 
"Your nanny!" Gail said, relieved.
 
"Yeah.   Stuie Davis in my school has a nanny too.   Inga.   She's not very old and wears  short dresses and she has really big..." Jacob started to stay but Johnston cleared his throat and he stopped.   "Nana Kate gets a funny look on her face when she sees Inga....I don't think she likes her very much.    She's a lot older than Inga.   Nana even tells Dad what to do!"  At this Gail felt another stab of jealousy.
 
**********     **********     **********     **********
 
Johnston stood up, stretched and then looked down at Gail and Jacob.
 
"If you two will excuse me for a few minutes, I need to run upstairs," Johnston said, turning and walking up the stairs.    It was time to take his medicine and he didn't want to advertise that he was really feeling tired.   This flu bug was kicking his butt.
 
Jacob finished the last of his ice cream and looked around, having no idea what to say.
 
Gail, feeling how uncomfortable her grandson was, smiled at him.   
 
"We'll clean this up later," she said, motioning at the remains of dinner.   "I bet you've never seen any pictures of Jake -- your Dad-- when he was a little boy.   Want to see some?"
 
"Sure!   That sounds like fun," Jacob said, standing up and pushing his chair in at the table.    Gail smiled at this.    That was something Jake never would have done as a child.   She didn't know that Nana Kate had worked for years to get that accomplished.
 
Gail and Jacob sat on the couch with a photo album open between them.   Gail was absently stroking the back of Jacob's head.    She was thoroughly enjoying his laughter and questions about the pictures.   It was a good day.   Jake had come home.   She had expected to meet a fiancee but instead had gotten a wonderful gift.   A grandchild.   A very good day indeed.
 
They both jumped and looked up when they heard  a loud, insistent knock on the front door.
 
"Hmm," Gail said, frowning, "I wonder who that could be?   Stay here.  I'll be right back."    She got up and walked to the door.    Peeking out the window, she saw Jimmy and Margaret Taylor with their children, Woody and Emily.    Gail quickly opened the door.   "Jimmy?  Is everything alright?"
 
"You mean you don't know?" Jimmy asked, walking quickly into the house, followed by Margaret and their children.
 
"Know what?" Gail asked, getting scared.
 
"There's a mushroom cloud to the west.   Looks like maybe it's over Denver," Jimmy said.   "Is the Mayor here?"
 
Seeing how scared Woody was, Gail hugged him.
 
"Mama," Emily Taylor said, looking up from her mother's shoulder, "who's that boy?"
 
Margaret turned and saw Jacob sitting on the couch.   
 
Gail smiled at Emily and stood up.   "Emily, Woody, this is my grandson, Jacob.   He just got here today."
 
"Jacob?! Jake's son?" Jimmy asked, stunned.
 
The children looked at each other silently.   Emily smiled sweetly at Jacob and gave him a small wave before laying her head back on her mother's shoulder.   Jacob, unsure of what to do, looked at his grandmother with big eyes.
 
Johnston Green, hearing the commotion, walked down the stairs.
 
**********      **********     **********     **********
 
Jake limped down the road.     He had to get back to Jericho.      Every time he glanced over his shoulder he saw an angry, vicious pink sky to the West.    Denver?   Was it still there?
 
What was going on in Jericho?
 
"Mister?   Mister, help!"   
 
Jake looked up and saw two kids running towards him.
 
"Mister, please.   I think they're dying.   Help!" the little boy cried.
 
"The deer went crazy and started running all over the road.   We run over the deer," the little girl cried.
 
Jake followed the kids with a limping run to a stranded school bus.
 
He found the bus driver unconscious, laying across the steering wheel.    Jake felt a pulse when he checked.   'Just unconscious,' he thought.
 
"Is he alive?" a weak voice asked.
 
Jake turned around and saw a pale woman.   "Yeah.   Are you okay?"
 
"Yeah," the woman said, quietly, "but I think my leg is broken."
 
"Can you feel your toes?" Jake asked.
 
"Yeah," she answered, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.   "Don't worry about me.   Worry about them."
 
Jake looked up and was met by 30 pairs of scared eyes.    The bus was full of kids.   They all looked about Jacob's age.
 
"Is anybody hurt?  Anybody?" Jake called.   His head was killing him and he was starting to feel dizzy and see spots of gray in his vision.  'Stay awake, stay awake,' he said to himself.
 
"Stacey's sick.   She can't breathe," a little boy said from the back of the bus.
 
Jake rushed towards the back of the bus.
 
He saw the little girl laying in the bus seat.    Her breathing was very shallow and she was starting to turn blue.
 
"What happened?"
 
The boy sitting in the seat behind sat forward.   "She was sitting like this," he said, with his throat against the back of the seat, "when the bus stopped."
 
Jake looked at the little girl again, her breathing was getting more and more shallow.   She suddenly stopped.     'Oh, God,' he thought, 'what do I do.   She's not breathing.'He reached back into memory and found the medical training he had had to undergo.   Jake cleaned the knife, took a deep breath and quickly performed a tracheotomy.
 
**********************************************************
 
Jake pulled the bus to a halt in front of Town Hall.   His head was pounding and his leg was on fire.   He opened the door of the bus and screamed, "Help them, help 'em."
 
After the kids were off the bus he turned and looked at the young woman sitting behind him.    "What's your name?"
 
"Heather," she said, almost shyly.
 
"Jake," he replied.
 
"Nice to meet you, Jake," she said smiling.
 
"You too," he said, smiling back at her.
 
Eric helped him to the ambulance.   Jake saw Jacob with Gail.   He breathed a sigh of relief.    He lowered himself to the stretcher.       
 
Jacob broke free from Gail's grip and flung himself at his father, hugging him tightly.
 
Jake hugged him back, patted his back and then cupped the back of his head, hugging him again.   "I'm here, Buddy.   Everything's gonna be okay.   It's okay," he said, quietly.
 
He lay back, Jacob still clinging to his chest, and closed his eyes with relief.   His child was safe.     
 
Gail blinked tears back.   The sight of Jake with Jacob made her heart pang with regret for the years lost.   She couldn't lose them.   She had to figure out how to keep her son and her grandson in Jericho.    She sat down in the back of the ambulance beside Jake and Jacob.    She held his hand and squeezed his shoulder.
 
"Look at you!   You're a mess," she said.
 
"I'm fine.   Stop worrying about me," he said, rubbing Jacob's back.
 
"Well, good luck with that," Gail said, smiling at him.    "I was afraid I was never going to see you again."   
 
"You think I'd let Dad have the last word?" Jake said, chuckling humorlessly.
 
"Hey!   Quit talking about me," Johnston said, taking in the father son closeness between his son and grandson.   "You did a great thing out there tonight."
 
"Thanks," Jake said, not quiet sure how to take Johnston.     
 
Jacob sat up and looked at his grandfather.   Confused at the tension in the air.

"Your grandfather would have been proud," Johnston said, looking away with embarrassment.   He cleared his throat and looked down. "Yeah, well, I gotta see what's taking those guys so long," he said, walking away.
 
Jake looked and his mother and shook his head in disbelief.   
 
"You know, I go away for a few years, and the town goes to hell," he said.
 
"I'm glad you're home," Gail said, kissing him and hugging Jacob.
 
"Yeah, we'll see," Jake said.  "We'll see."

To be continued......


Thanks for journeying into my world.   If you enjoyed the story please help feed my writing poltergeist by leaving feedback.

Chapter 3 by SherryG
DISCLAIMER:   I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it.   The characters are not mine in any way.   I am just borrowing them for a bit.   I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.
************************************************************

Main street was lit up with hundreds of lanterns.   It seemed like everyone in town felt the need to be together this one night.     They had survived nuclear bombs and the nuclear fallout in the rain without anyone getting sick.   There were people everywhere.   Tables had been placed all up and down the street with grills down one side.    They were grilling up steaks, chicken, ribs....if it could be grilled it was being served.    There were also some pretty good looking desserts.    

Jake Green looked around Main Street for somewhere to sit.    It was pretty packed.    He saw there were seats beside his parents but he skipped over those....it would just be too weird.    He saw Stanley and Bonnie and almost headed that way but then he saw Heather sitting all alone at a table on the other side of the street.    He handed Jacob a plate with a hotdog and picked up 2 pieces of chocolate cake and headed toward Heather's table.    Jacob put his hand in Jake's back pocket so that they didn't get separated and they started to wind their way towards Heather's table.    Several people looked very surprised to see Jake with a child.   Stanley looked at him and smiled and mouth "Yours?".    Jake nodded his way smiling.     Stanley looked back at him with big eyes and nodded.   Jake waved and kept on going---he wasn't in an explanation mood right now.   He didn't see Emily watching open mouthed from the other side of the street.    

They finally made it to the other side of the street and down to Heather's table.   She was looking down at the table, off in another world.    She jumped when Jake asked, "Are these seats taken?" as he put a piece of chocolate cake in front of her.

"What, oh no not taken, please sit down," she said coming out of her daydream.   A daydream all about a certain member of the Green family.   She was glad it was dark since she was blushing to the roots of her hair.    Jake and Jacob pulled the other chairs out and sat down.

"Who do we have here? Whats your name, Sweetheart?" she asked the little boy.    She was totally in her element talking to kids totally unlike when she tried to talk to Jake.   Talking to Jake made her feel like a freshman in highschool again.

"My name is Johnston Jacob Green.    Everyone calls me Jacob though, except my dad...he calls me Jake."

"How old are you?"

"I'm 7 3/4," Jacob smiled as he said.

Jake watched them.   She was so at ease.   She was glowing.   He could see how much she loved kids.   No wonder she was a elementary school teacher.    She got Jacob to talk more in the 10 minutes they had been sitting there than he had talked in the past 2 days.

"So, what do you like to do in school?   You're in second grade, right?"

"No, I'm in third grade.   I got jumped up a grade.    I like gym best," Jacob said.

"I'm a third grade teacher.   Maybe you can come visit in my class one day."

Jake tapped his hand and said, "you need to eat some of that hot dog."

Jake and Heather half heartedly ate chocolate cake.    

"So, how long have you taught school in Jericho?"

"This is my 4th year.    Before I came here, I taught at a very exclusive private school for mentally challenged kids in Denver."

"How in the world did you get from that to a 3rd grade teacher in Jericho, Kansas?"

"Well, the owner of the school decided she needed to be able to concentrate more time on her autistic son so she sold the school.    I didn't really like the new way of doing things so I quietly started looking for another job.     Emily and I went to college together and we had kept in touch so I told her my gripes about my job and she told me about a position that would be opening up here in Jericho.    It was perfect.   My dad was a minister here in town.   He had just gotten sick with cancer and needed me to help him," she said this with a twinge of pain coming across her face.  " I interviewed and got the job and 4yrs later here I am, still here.   I love it," she said all this with a contented smile on her face.

"I'm sorry bout your dad."    Heather gave him a small tight smile.

"So, what about you?   I have heard all kinds of stories about the infamous Jake Green.    Are they true?" she asked jokingly.  

Jake grinned and laughed, "Lord, I certainly hope not!!   I thought those stories would have gone away," he said and laughed some more.

"Oh, no.   They get better with each telling.     My personal favorite one is the one where you "borrowed" the sheriff's car and lost it in a drag race."

"I am no where near as exciting as the stories make me out to be," he said.    "The whole drag racing thing was all a big misunderstanding.   I didn't actually lose it.    It all worked out in the end.    Of course, my "end" didn't sit for while but lets not go there," he laughed.   "It is a painful memory," as he laughed some more.    "I have been making a simple living and raising a kid by myself.   Pretty boring when you stop and think about it."

"Yea, right, not exciting at all.   Lets see, you know how to do an emergency trach, fix a fallout shelter ventilation system and set a dynamite load for detonation, but you have been quietly living as a single dad, " Heather laughed, "no, you are right...you are down right boring."

Jake gave her a lopsided smirk, "It's amazing the things you learn on cable these days ain't it?"

Heather laughed, "Yea....amazing."

They continued to talk about totally unimportant things.   They were just happy to be talking about something that was totally unrelated to the nuclear bombs and fallout.      Jake would think back later how totally comfortable they were with each other.    That it was totally unlike him.   He had only ever been this relaxed with one other woman...Emily.  

During the time they had been talking neither had noticed that Main Street had all but cleared out.   Jacob had pulled up another chair and was laid across them sound asleep.    Emily was still across the street with a group of people.   They were all laughing and talking.    Heather followed his gaze.    "You made her very happy tonight."

"I owed her."

"I think you paid her back"

Jake smiled and said, "no....not even close," as he continued to watch Emily.

Heather was getting slightly uncomfortable.    She knew a little bit about Jake and Emily's past.   She had lived with Emily long enough to know there was a LOT of history there.

Jake realized he had been starring and looked over at Heather.   "Sorry, zoned out there a minute.    So, what about school?   Do you think they will keep it open?

"Good question.   The plan as far as I know is to keep it open.    The kids need the normality.    But now with Scott Reney gone, I don't know.    I am hoping to keep it open.   What are you going to do about school for Jacob?"

"I don't know.    I really haven't thought about it to be honest.    Jacob is a handful at school.   During kindergarten and 1st grade he was always in trouble.   Always.   He was the most disruptive child in the whole grade.   They were just about to put in special education when someone suggested testing his IQ.   Turns out the reason he was so disruptive is that he was bored....he is so smart it is scary.    He can read and do math at a high school level but he is only 7 and has a 7yr old maturity.   I agreed to let him skip ahead one year so that he was more challenged but thats it.    The school he was in really went out of its way to keep him from getting too bored.   They had to or kick him out.   When they started the upper level work it really settled him down.   Last year was definitly a rough one.    He is doing really well in the 3rd grade classroom.    What do you think I should do?"

"He definitley needs to be in school.    A child like him needs a strict routine with very explicit expectations.    I'll bring some stuff over to your mom's house and we'll see whats what and go from there.    How does that sound?" Heather said, once again very animated and happy.

Jake looked around, now they were totally alone.    It was just the 3 of them.   Jake hesitantly put his hand on top of Heather's.    "Thanks for caring about a little boy who you don't know.    It shows how special you are."

Jake looked away embarrassed.    Heather blushed again.

Jake looked at his watch, "It's pretty late.   Where do you live?"

"In an apartment over by the library."

"Let us walk you home."

"I'll be alright.   It's just down the block.   You don't have to do that"

Heather was blushing again.   She was very happy it was dark.   Jake's hand was still over hers.   She hoped he couldn't feel it starting to sweat.

"No, I don't have to, but I want to, " as he very lightly squeezed her hand.

"Let me get the boy," Jake said as he reluctantly moved his hand.

Heather elbowed her napkin so that it fell.   When she bent down to pick it up he hastily rubbed her hands on her jeans to dry them.    

Jake picked his son up and held out his hand, "Ready?"

Heather put her hand in Jakes.   After helping her up, instead of letting go of her hand, he laced his fingers thru hers and they walked slowly towards the library.
Chapter 4 by SherryG
DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

NOTE:  The dialog with Emily in the last segment of this chapter was written by the writers of Jericho.   Except for a few lines about Jake's son and the last paragraph of the chapter,  that part of the story was not written by me.
************************************************************

Jake stood on the Tacoma Bridge.   He was in autopilot mode.   Wiring explosives was something he could do blindfolded--he had done it so many times it was just automatic.    He was thinking about other things.   He couldn't believe how ignorant his brother was.   Jake knew Eric hadn't  ever been in these kinds of situations like he had, but to take identifying information into a situation like Rogue River, Jake just couldn't believe he could be that ignorant.
 
Ravenwood had showed up.    He knew they would.   He had seen it too many times before.   They would be back and it could be any time.   He looked around, everywhere he looked he saw people he had grown up knowing.    And everywhere he looked, he saw fear.    Thank God Robert Hawkins was there.   He wished he knew the truth about him.   Right now he knew one thing, this was the man to have at his side and that's all that was important.   Earlier he had convinced Stanley and Bonnie to leave their farm.    After seeing that Bonnie and Mimi were safe in town he had come back to the bridge to help Jake.    Jake felt safer knowing he had Stanley covering his back.    Jacob was safe in town with his mother.    There should be nothing to distract him.   Suddenly, the face of Heather Lisinski popped into his mind.   A small smile that had nothing to do with wires and detonators played across his face as he remembered that kiss yesterday.   He could still smell her hair and taste her lips.   She had been coming over to the house and homeschooling Jacob since the elementary school had closed and he could feel them getting closer---but that kiss had taken him by total surprise---a very very nice surprise.   He pulled himself out of that memory---way to much distraction there.   He picked up more wires and got back to the business at hand.
 
Hawkins walked up beside him, "Jake, you have a problem."
 
Jake looked up at him, "What?"
 
Hawkins pointed down to the end of the bridge where Stanley stood holding on to a struggling Jacob.    "I found that boy trying to climb into your car.   He won't tell me his name but I have a pretty good idea.   You better deal with this and deal with it quick."
 
Jake handed the wires over to Hawkins and walked quickly down to the end of the bridge.   He didn't think he had ever been this mad at Jacob before---or this scared for his life.   He grabbed Jacob's upper arm and pulled him towards the car.    Stanley followed slowly behind them.
 
"How did you get out here," Jake said angrily.   "You could get killed, did you know that?"
 
Jacob looked defiantly up at his father.   He pulled himself up to his full 4ft 4 inches of height and said, "I hid in the back of Uncle Eric's truck.    I don't want to stay here if you are leaving again."
 
Jake looked back at Stanley and waved him over, "Hey, I need  you to do something for me."
 
"Sure," Stanley said, "what do you need?"
 
"Take him and keep him safe.   I don't have time to take him back to town.    Ravenwood'll be back any minute."
 
"No problem," Stanley said taking hold of Jacob's arm.  
 
Jake pointed his finger at Jacob, "You better behave.   I'll deal with you later," he looked at Jacob and then at Stanley, "If he misbehaves use your imagination."
 
Jake watched as Stanley put Jacob in the car and locked the doors.   He turned and walked back down the bridge.   Suddenly, a flair streaked across the sky.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
It was over....at least for now.   Ravenwood was gone.    Jake took a deep breath and turned the detonator off.   Now he had to deal with Jacob.
 
He walked towards the car.   He could see Stanley and Jacob.   Stanley got out when Jake got to the car.
 
"Is it over? Are they gone?" Stanley asked.
 
Jake nodded, "At least for now.   How did things go here?"
 
"Well, I have to say he is just like you when we were kids," Stanley said smiling.   "He didn't say a word.   He just sat there with him arms crossed.   He seems pretty upset," Stanley said, "When things settle down a bit we are going to have to have a talk about him.   I am dying to know about Jake Green's son.   You've been pretty close mouthed."
 
"I'll tell ya sometime, I promise," Jake said.   "Thanks for staying with him"
 
"Sure, no problem.   I'm going to get Bonnie and Mimi," Stanley said.   He clapped Jake on the shoulder and walked towards his truck.
 
Jake got in the car and sat there a minute.   He looked over at his son, "Well?  Why did you hide in Eric's truck and sneak out here?   It was dangerous.   You could have been killed.   Does your grandmother know you're here?
 
Jacob didn't answer---just shook his head.   Jake started the car and drove back towards town.   "Boy, you think I'm mad, just wait til your grandmother's done with you."
 
"She's not my mother, she can't tell me what to do," Jacob said quietly as they pulled up in front of the house.
 
Jake was getting very angry but working hard to keep it under control, "Uh huh, is that right?"
 
He walked behind Jacob with his hand gripping his shoulder.    Jake started to open the front door but the knob was jerked out of his hand.   Gail was standing in the door looking frantic.
 
"I can't find Jacob anywhere.    We've looked everywhere.   He's gone!"
 
Jake pushed the boy into the light, "He found me."
 
Gail grabbed the child in a bear hug, "I was so worried!   You can't leave without telling me.   What if something had happened to you, if you had gotten hurt.    No one would have ever found you!"
 
Jake glanced into the living room and saw April standing by the fireplace and Johnston sitting there watching everything from his recliner.    Then he looked down at Jacob, "You owe your grandparents an apology."
 
"No I don't," Jacob screamed at his father, "I don't like it here and I want to go home.   He turned and stomped towards the stairs and turned around and looked at Jake with fire in his eyes and yelled, " I WANT TO GO HOME!" he turned back towards the stairs.
 
Jake, barely controlling his anger, looked at Jacob.   He took a deep breath and said,
"I know you aren't thinking about stomping up those stairs and slamming the bedroom door, right?   If you are you better let it go, RIGHT NOW.   You go quietly upstairs, go to the bedroom, do not close the bedroom door, sit down in the middle of the bed and face the wall.   Do not get up.   Do you understand?"
 
Jacob barely nodded and slowly walked up the stairs.
 
"I'll be upstairs to settle this when I get over being angry."
 
Jake let out an explosive breath and dropped his head.
 
Johnston walked over to the foyer and looked at Jake, "Problems of fatherhood?   Got a little disipline problem there do you?   Been there, done that.   That boy is exactly like you," he said.   He patted Jake on the shoulder and walked towards the stairs.   Jake half smiled, half grimaced at him.    Johnston walked up the stairs.   When he got to the top he turned and looked at Jake, "You know where I am if you need me."   He slowly walked down the hall.  
 
Jake looked at his mother and shook his head.   He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a very crumpled pack of Camels and shook one out.    He looked at his mother and said, "I haven't had one of these in nearly a year.   I'm going outside for a minute."  Gail nodded at him.
 
Jake sat on the top step and lit the Camel.   'When did I lose control of my son?' he thought.   He knew he had been out of the country a lot over the last few years and Jacob had been with the nanny, but when did he lose control?    He finished his cigarette and went back inside.    He was still mad but at least he was under control now.   He hung his jacket up and turned around.    Gail was sitting on the bottom step looking at him.   Jake sat down beside her.
 
"What're you gonna do Jake?   He wasn't being bad.   He's confused.    His whole world changed 2 months ago and he's having a hard time dealing with it."
 
"Who are you?   This isn't the same woman I grew up with," Jake smiled at her, "If I had done what he just did, after you got done with me, I wouldn't have been able to sit.   I know he's confused."   Jake got up and started up the stairs, "I'm going to talk to my son"
 
Jacob was exactly where he was supposed to be---in the middle of the bed, facing the wall.   He was picking at the threads on the quilt.    Jake sat down beside him on the bed.  
 
"Now, do you want to tell me about today?"
 
"I didn't want you to leave me here.   I want to go home.   I don't like this place."
 
"First off, I'm not leaving you anywhere.   That part of our life is over.   We've talked about that, Jacob.   We live here now, with your grandparents.    This is our home now.    You have to be respectful of your grandparents.     They are helping me take care of you because I have to work.   I have to keep us, all of us, safe.   I can't work if I'm worried about you.   When I go to work you have to stay here with Gran.    I am not going to leave you, I promise.   Do you understand?"   Jake reached over and hugged his son.
 
"Ok, Dad, I understand.   I'm sorry I was mean to Gran."
 
"Right now you have a job.   You scared your grandparents and you were very rude.   It's time to apologize."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Bailey's sounded like a good plan as he walked down the street.    It was surprisingly full considering there was no electricity or real alcohol.
 
Heather sat at the end of the bar nursing a glass of whatever Mary was pouring today.   He walked over and placed his hand on her arm.
 
"Hey, mind if I join you?"
 
Heather looked blearily up and brightened quickly.
 
"Jake Green, back from the wilds of the Tacoma Bridge.    Stanley said you beat the bad guys.    That Discovery Channel lesson on dynamite must have been something else," she said laughing a bit too loudly.
 
Jake smirked at her, "It's just amazing how well those shows teach.    Are you alright?  You seem a bit different today."
 
Heather laughed, "I'm awesome.    Emily and I celebrated the day of her wedding and celebrated and celebrated a bunch more."
 
Jake smiled, "I can tell.   Let me take you home.   You seem to maybe have celebrated enough."
 
"Don't tell me I've had enough.   I am perfectly fine," Heather said as she attempted to defiantly stand up in front of him.   She stumbled and swayed.
 
Jake gave her his patented smirk, "Yeah, I can see that.   Come on, let's go.   I'm gonna take you home.   Where are the keys to Charlotte?   You're in no condition to drive."
 
"You can't have my keys.   I am perfectly caplable, capi, capa.....I'm OK to drive," she jerked the keys out of her pocket.   "Here, I'll show you."
 
"Oh no you don't," Jake said as he grabbed the keys out of her hand and threw them to Mary, "She can get these tomorrow.   I'm gonna take her home."
 
Mary looked at the two of them and smiled, "Yeah, I think that's a good idea.   I'll keep them in the cash register."
 
Jake got her outside, with her protesting the whole way.    He was getting the biggest kick out of this.    This was  a side of Heather that Jake never thought existed.    He slowly walked a swaying, stumbling Heather to her apartment.    He got her housekey and opened the door.    He led her to the couch and sat her down and started taking her shoes off.
 
Heather suddenly realized what was going on.
 
"Jake Green, stop it!   I am so mad at you I could kill you!" Heather shouted.
 
Jake sat back on the floor in surprise, "What?" he asked confused.
 
Heather continued loudly, "Yesterday you promised, PROMISED, to come home to me in one piece.   And what do you do?  Huh? Huh? You go and almost get yourself blown into a million pieces on the Tacoma Bridge.   Discovery Channel my ass.   Who are you?    You have to get it through your head that you have more to think about than your own ass.   Do you understand?   Do you? Huh?"  Heather put her head in her hands and started crying.    "I was scared to death, Jake."
 
Jake sat beside her on the couch and put his arm around her, "I'm sorry I scared you.   I'm not going anywhere.   I'm right here, I promise."   He hugged her and kissed her on the  forehead.    "You and Jacob are a pair, let me tell ya!"   He took her face in his hands and tilted it up so he could look into her eyes.   He slowly lowered his lips to hers.
"I'm sorry, Babe.   I promise, I'm alright.   Everything'll be OK."
 
Heather sighed and melted into his arms.    Within minutes she was sleeping.    Jake held her a while longer.   When he was sure she was deeply asleep, he picked her up and took her into the bedroom.    He took her other shoe off and covered her with a comforter.   He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a bottle of aspirin.    He shook out six and laid them on her bedside table.    She would definitely need those when she woke up.    Jake kissed her on the forehead and quietly left.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Jake walked slowly down the street towards home.    He had been given lots of things to think about tonight.   Heather was something else.    Jake stopped at the entrance to the church.   He felt pretty sure that Emily would be there.    He knew today would've been her wedding day and he wanted to check on her.    He slowly walked up the steps and opened the door.    Emily was sitting in a pew near the front.    
 
"Emily, is everything alright?"
 
Emily stood up and looked at him, "Yeah."
 
Jake walked towards her, "I saw Heather.   She's pretty wasted."
 
Emily laughed, "I've been a little overserved myself."
 
Jake leaned against the pew opposite Emily.
 
"I know what today is.   Mom still has the invitation on the fridge.    You know, we never talked about him, about Roger."
 
"What do you wanna know," Emily asked.
 
"How did he propose?"
 
"Champagne and caviar," Emily said with a smile.
 
"Beats the hell out of malt liquor in a video store parking lot," Jake laughed.
 
Emily bowed her head and laughed, "We were teenagers.   What the hell did we know?"
 
Jake laughed, "We knew enough not to go thru with it!"
 
Emily took a long hard look at Jake, "I've seen your son, Jake.   Is that what you were doing all those times you were gone there towards the end?    You know he should have been ours Jake.    It might have made a difference, ya know?"
 
Jake shook his head at her, "Emily, we talked about a baby---a lot.   A baby for us at that time would have been a disaster.   Can you imagine us then with a baby?   It would've been a disaster."
 
Emily looked up at him, "But it was a good idea with someone else?   Is that it?   You couldn't have imagined having a baby with me but someone who you didn't even know.... that was a good idea?"
 
"I didn't say it was a good idea.   He wasn't planned.   I'm not ashamed of him, Emily.   He turned my life around.   There is no telling what would have happened if he hadn't been born.  I'm not with his mother.    We haven't seen her in 6 1/2 yrs.   I'm sorry if it hurt you. "
 
"Why'd you come back Jake?  Why couldn't you have just stayed away??" Emily asked.
 
Jake walked over to her and leaned down towards her, "Are you sure that's what you wanted?"
 
Emily looked up startled, "What did you say?"
 
Jake leaned in and pressed his lips to her ear and whispered, "Are you sure that's what you wanted?"
 
Emily looked stunned.   Her image of Roger had asked her the exact same question.
 
Jake turned and slowly walked up the aisle and out the door.
 
Emily sat in the church the rest of the night thinking about the things that could have been, crying for the things that should have been and probably never would be and wondering where in the world she would go from here......................  
Chapter 5 by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho, the writers of Jericho or the actors.

This is, hopefully, the beginning of a great romance.........

*******************************************************
The day after the Ravenwood adventure dawned sunny and windy.   There had been an unbelievable windstorm after midnight.    Jake could tell winter was on the way, mornings were definitely getting colder.   He laid in the bed he had slept in, in the room he had grown up in.   He knew that he and his son's life had changed forever.    He had been avoiding telling Jacob that their home more than likely didn't even exist anymore.    He agonized over having to tell him that  Nana Kate, the only mother he had ever known, was probably dead.   After the meltdown yesterday he knew the time had come.   Every time he started thinking about how to tell him, the face of Heather Lisinski popped into his mind.    He could talk to her, she would know the best way to tell him.     He put his hands behind his head and smiled thinking about how cute her smile was, especially after the way she had gone off him last night.    Boy, did she have a temper.   He would never forget how good it felt  to hold Heather in his arms.    He smiled to himself, lost in the memory.     All of a sudden a hand came sailing through the air and landed smack across his face at the same time that a small foot landed full force mid-thigh.    Jake's eyes watered as he bit his lip to keep from yelling with surprise.   The sleeping arrangements had to change....today....before Jacob killed him in his sleep.

Jake quietly slid out of bed and quickly dressed in the half light coming in thru the window.   He looked out, everything was covered with frost.   Yeah, winter would be here soon.    Today he was going to head out to the ranch and check on his mom's horses and then to Stanley's farm to find out about getting hay and food for his mother's horses.   He thought Jacob might like seeing horses.   They needed some one on one time together....it had been a long time since they had had a day just father and son.
**********

Gail had made coffee.   She was sitting at the table with a steaming mug.    She smiled at Jake as he came into the kitchen and kiss her on the cheek.

"Good Morning, Honey.   Coffee?", Gail asked.

Jake stretched and said, "Umm...sounds good."

Gail started to get up and get the coffee for him.   Jake waved her down.

"I can get it.   Want a refill?" Jake asked, after filling his cup.

"Thanks," Gail said, holding out her cup.   "Jake, you've grown up so much.   I'm proud of you.   Jacob is a good boy.    It must have been very hard, taking care of a baby by yourself.   You did a good job."

Jake patted her hand, "Thanks, Mom."

They fell silent, each nursing thoughts of their own, and enjoyed their coffee.  

After about 10 minutes, Gail set her cup down and looked at Jake, "What do you have planned for today?"

"I thought that Jacob and I would go out to the ranch and check on the horses and see if there was any damage from all the wind last night and then head over to Stanley's and see about getting hay and food for the horses for this winter.   Want to come?" Jake asked.

April and Jacob came blearily into the kitchen.    April poured herself some coffee and sat down.

Jacob sat down beside Jake and laid his head down on the table with a big yawn.   Gail smiled at her grandson.   It was amazing at how much he reminded her of Jake at that age.   He was the spitting image of him.    Jake had sat down at that same table the same way for years and years.

"I think I am going to stay around here today and poke around in the attic and see if there is anything tucked away we might be able to use, " Gail said.

Jacob's head popped up when he heard that.    He loved exploring.

Gail smiled, "Do you want to help me?   I think there are still some toys packed away that were your dad's.    I think there are still a lot of books up there in an old bookshelf, too."

Jacob smiled, a rare occurrence these days, and looked over at Jake, "Can I?"

Jake smiled and nodded, "Sure, if that's what you want to do."

By 10am Gail and Jacob were on their attic treasure hunt, April had left for the clinic and Jake was ready to leave for the ranch.

On his way out of town, Jake decided to swing by Heather's apartment and check on her.   As he walked up the steps he heard a lot of muffled banging followed by a loud scream.    He ran the rest of the way and pounded on the door.

"Heather!" Jake yelled, "are you OK?"    There was no answer, just more muffled banging.

"Heather!" Jake yelled again.    Still no answer.   He tried the door and found it unlocked.    He went into the apartment.    Everything in the living room looked the same as it did last night.   He glanced into the bedroom, no Heather.   There was another scream.    Jake ran into the kitchen and a broom came flying down on his head.

"What the hell are you doing!?", Jake yelled as he pushed the broom away.

Heather dropped the broom and turned red in embarrassment.

"Oh, Jake, I'm so sorry.   I didn't know you were there."

"What was all that banging and screaming about," Jake asked, rubbing the top of his head.

Heather looked even more embarrassed.

"Um, well, there was a rat.   A very big rat.   I'm terrified of rats", Heather said.

"A mouse?   You nearly killed me for a mouse?", Jake said, starting to laugh.    God it felt good to laugh.

Heather reddened even more, "Rat, Jake.   It was a rat.   This thing was waaayyy beyond mouse.   It had really big teeth and claws."

"Uh huh," Jake said as he continued to laugh.   After a minute Heather joined in.

Jake sat down at the kitchen table, still chuckling.   Heather sat down across from him.   She put her hands up to the sides of her head.

Jake reached across the table and patted her arm.

"Hey, how are you this morning?", Jake asked.

Heather looked up over her hands, "I have a little headache.   Why do you ask?" she asked suspiciously.

Jake grinned and laughed, "A "little" headache?   Last time I got that wasted, I was so hungover I couldn't move the next day."

"What makes you think I was wasted last night and that I would have a hangover?" Heather asked hesitantly.

"I was at Bailey's last night too.    I took your keys and gave them to Mary and then I brought you home and put you to bed."

"Oh my God.   That was you?   That was real, not a dream?", Heather asked, blushing bright red again.   "I only remember bits and pieces."

Jake could see how embarrassed she was.   He took her hand, "It's OK,  ya know.   Everyone needs to cut loose sometime."   Jake smiled at her.    "You didn't puke or anything."

Heather groaned and dropped her head.   "Wait, I have a sorta memory of yelling.   Did I yell at you?", Heather asked very embarrassed.

Jake smiled his sideways smile and said, "Let's just say you were very to the point about how I should be considering things other than myself.    Now, really, how are you?"

"I'm OK," Heather said smiling slightly.   "I really wish I had a huge bottle of aspirin but other than that, I'm OK."

"I left you some on your bedside table.  Did you not find them?", Jake asked.

"I didn't take them.   I didn't know what they were...only that they had just appeared," Heather said quietly.

Jake took the aspirin bottle out of his jacket and shook some out, "Here, take these.   They'll help your head."

Heather got up, got a bottle of water and swallowed the aspirin.

"I was wondering," Jake asked, "if you wanted to go with me to check on my mom's ranch and the horses?   After the wind storm last night there might be some damage.     After the last few weeks it might do you good to get away from town for a few hours."

"Wind storm?", Heather said, confused.

"Yeah, it got really windy last night after you went to sleep.   Really windy.", Jake said.

Heather smiled, "That sounds like a good idea.   I'd love to go.   Let me go change my clothes."

Jake wondered into the living room and started looking at the bookshelves.    He smiled when he saw several shelves packed with romance novels.   He had thought she was a romantic, now he knew for sure.   He looked at another shelf that was packed with fantasy and science fiction.   Now these were his types of books.

Jake looked up from his inspection of the book shelves when Heather came back into the living room.   She sat down on the couch and began pulling on her shoes.

"You have a great fantasy and sci-fi collection.   Jacob could get lost in this shelf for days.    He loves to read fantasy and science fiction.   Especially, Star Wars," Jake said.

"You will have to bring him over and let him get some books.   I'd be lost without something to read," Heather said.    "Sorry, the geek is always lurking," she said, smiling.

Jake smiled at her, "He'd love that, he is out of stuff to read.   April caught him reading a Harlequin romance last week, " Jake said laughing.   "He was reading the Harry Potter books for AR reading at his school and Eragon at home so he would be ready for the movie."

Heather reached around Jake and pulled a blue book out, "Here's a copy of Eragon.   Take it to him.   It's a great book.   I'll go over to the school tomorrow and see what I can round up for him.   There're tons of books over there just getting dusty now that school is closed.   I have two complete sets of Harry Potter in my classroom, I know," Heather said.  "And there is nothing wrong with a good Harlequin romance," Heather laughed.

Heather grabbed her jacket and backpack and started towards the front door.   Jake pulled his jacket on and followed her out to the car.

The ride to the ranch was quiet but it was the quiet of people who are very comfortable with each other.

"I noticed your apartment has electric heat and all that is there is that little ornamental fireplace.   What are you going to do for real heat?   You can't live there with no way to stay warm," Jake said.

"I was thinking about trying to find a wood burning stove.   My apartment is small.   It shouldn't take very much to keep it warm," Heather said.

"I'll help you.  We'll see what we can come up with," said Jake.

They slowly pulled up in front of the barn.   Jake whistled as he looked around.    The wind must have been worse out here last night.   It looked like several trees had given it up.    He could see at least four down.   Thankfully, nothing had hit the barn.

Jake looked at Heather, "Looks like I'm gonna be here a while.   Do you want me to take you back to town?"

"No, I haven't had a chance to just sit in the sun and relax since September.    I'll stay, if that's alright," she said and then smiled and giggled, "I have a Harlequin romance to keep me busy."

Jake laughed too, "That sounds great.   I'm gonna check the horses and look around the barn and see if my grandpa's old chainsaw is still there.   I really don't want to have to use an axe."

Heather spread her jacket out on a bail of hay and sat down with her eyes closed and head thrown back, drinking in the sun.   After a few minutes she got up and wondered into the barn.   Jake was busy with the horses.

"Do you need any help?", Heather asked.

"No, I have this but if you wouldn't mind would you look at the chainsaw over on the workbench and tell me if you think it is worth trying," Jake asked.

Heather walked over to the workbench and started inspecting the saw.

"Jake, if you can find me some oil and gas, I think I can get it going.   It hasn't been used in a while but it looks like it is in pretty good shape."

"Look over in that cabinet and you should find some oil.   I have a gas can in the trunk," Jake said as he finished putting the food out for the horses.

With Heather's know how, the chainsaw was working within minutes.   There were two small and two medium sized trees that were going to have to be cut up.   At least this would solve some of the problem at home of where to get logs for the fireplace.   If he and Heather were able to find her a stove it would help her with fuel as well.   Jake surveyed the job and decided to start with the smallest tree and work his way up.    He stripped off his shirt and pulled the cord on the saw and got down to the business at hand.

Heather had taken a definite interest in the job when Jake stripped off his shirt.   He knew how to handle a chainsaw, that was for sure.   The muscles in his back and arms rippled with the motions of cutting the trees and the vibration of the saw.   Heather kept trying to get into her book but she just couldn't get into it.   'WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM HEATHER,' she thought to herself, shaking her head.   She had noticed that Jake had a long scar running down the left side of his chest.   She wondered what had happened to him.   She also noticed something that made her stop and stare.   Jake Green was wearing dog tags.   Now that was very interesting.
******

Jake had been working a couple of hours when he felt a tap on his shoulder.   He glanced around and saw Heather with a bottle of water.   Jake turned the saw off and wiped sweat from his face.   He drank the whole bottle of water in one drink.

"Thanks," he said.   "I'm gonna stack this up and get cleaned up and we can decide what to do from there."

Heather went back and sat and pretended to read while she watched Jake over the top of her book.   Jake was well aware of the attention he was getting but he didn't want to embarrass her by making a big deal out of it.   He smiled over at her and kept working.

Jake was putting the last piece of wood on the pile when the woodstack shifted.   Jake jumped back but the log he was holding slipped.    As he tried to grab it it turned and the bark scrapped off the skin on the palm and heel of his hand.    It looked like road rash and stung like fire.

"Damn!" Jake yelled.

Heather went running over worried that he had broken something until she saw the blood.

"Oh, Jake, are you alright?   Does it feel like anything is broken?"

"Nothing is broken.   Its just cut."

"Let me clean it up so we can see what we are dealing with."

"No, I'll be alright.   I'll go over to the well and pour some water on it.   It will be OK."

"Jacob Green, give me your hand," Heather said in her teacher voice.

He knew there was no winning this argument when he heard the commanding tone in her voice.   He slowly unfolded his hand and held it out to her.     Heather winced when she saw it.   She knew it had to be killing him.   From the top of his palm to his wrist was nothing but raw meat with dirt, splinters and pieces of wood.

"Oh my God, Jake.   That looks awful," she said, her voice full of sympathy.   "We have to wash this and get it cleaned out."

Jake winced, "I know.  There should be a first aid kit in the bunker."

"The bunker?", Heather asked.

"Storm shelter.   My grandfather named it that years ago.    My parents keep it stocked in case they are out here and there is a storm or an emergency.   It's in the back of the barn.   Get some water in that bucket.   I'm sure we'll need it.   I'll get the first aid kit."

Jake walked slowly into the barn.   He unlocked the door to the bunker and propped the door open with a chair.   There was a fully stocked first aid kit exactly where he remembered it being.    He brought it out and Heather gently went to work cleaning the wound.   She managed to get all the dirt, wood pieces and splinters out.

"Jake, I hate to tell you this because it is going to be painful, but I have to disinfect it.   I can't just leave it with germs," Heather said.

"I know.   Grab that bottle of alcohol and just do it.   Pour it all on at once and get it over with."

"I don't want to hurt you but I have to kill the germs," Heather said with tears in her eyes.

Jake smiled at her and stroked her cheek with his good hand.

"I know.   Babe, you have to do it.   I'll be alright.   I promise," Jake said, continuing to stroke her cheek.

Heather opened the bottle and poured the full strength alcohol straight onto the raw flesh.   Jake gasped in pain and tears ran down his face but he never uttered a sound.    After a few minutes he dunked his hand in the bucket of cold water.   He looked at Heather and gave her a weary smile.

"OK, put some Neosporin on it and bandage it," he whispered, barely loud enough for Heather to hear.

Tears ran down Heather's face as she finished bandaging Jake's hand.   Jake took her in his arms and held her.     "You did good.   You did exactly what a good medic is supposed to do....clean, disinfect, field medicine and bandage.    I'll let April look at it when we get back to town.   Don't worry."

Heather continued to silently cry.

"It's OK, Babe.   I'm alright.   I promise,"  Jake said continuing to hold her tightly and rub her back.

After a few minutes, Heather put everything back in the case.   Jake picked it up and went back into the bunker to put it away.   The sun was starting to set and throw shadows across the barn.

"Hey, would you bring that flashlight?   With the sun going down its so dark in here I can't see the shelf to put this on," Jake called to Heather.

"Sure," Heather said.   On her way into the storm shelter she stumbled over the chair moving it away from the door.

Jake looked up and yelled,  "Heather, catch the door.   Don't let it close!"

Heather lunged for the door but it was too late.    The door slammed shut with an audible click.   The only light in the room was the single beam of Heather's flashlight.

To be continued.......

***************************************************

Chapter 6 by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

I would like to give credit to my husband for helping me get in the mind of a man for parts of this chapter.    He is a great sounding board for my story.

*******************************************


The click of the door was the loudest sound Heather had ever heard.   It echoed over and over again in her mind.    The dark closed in around her and seemed to press in on her.

She stood there silently.   For a brief moment the only sound was the ever increasing heaviness of her breath.

Jake could see the terror playing across her face in the dim light cast by the flashlight.   He moved as quickly as he could across the dark room.     He got to her as she started sobbing.

"Jake, I'm sorry," she said with a heaving sob.

"Hey, its OK.   We'll be OK," he said.   He was talking to her softly like he would to Jacob when he was having a nightmare.    It broke his heart to see her so upset.   "It'll be alright," he said, hugging her.

"But we're locked in.   How will we get out?", she whispered.

"My mother and April knew I was coming out here.   If I don't come home tonight they will be here to look for me in the morning.    So we are here 1 night, tops.   Everything will be OK," Jake said, tilting her head up to kiss her forehead.

He held her a few more minutes while she collected herself.   She'd had a rough few days and her being upset was totally understandable.

Heather wiped her eyes and took a deep breath.   She pulled away from Jake and stood straight and squared her shoulders.  The voice that came out was the self sufficient, lets get it done Heather, not the scared, hated to be alone, afraid of the dark inner Heather that she kept hidden from most people.    Jake had gotten only the briefest glimpse of the real Heather.

"OK, are there any candles or lanterns?   We need to take stock and see what we have here," Heather said in her in charge teacher voice.

Jake was surprised at the sudden change but covered it well.

"Uh, there should be.   Bring that flashlight over here," Jake said.

Jake took the light and shown it on a set of shelves close to the door.    On the second shelf from the top there were 4 lanterns,  4 boxes of candles and 4 candle holders and 3 oil lamps.    Most importantly there was a box of matches.

Heather got an oil lamp lit and looked around the large room.    Against the far wall was a set of old fashioned iron bunk beds with the mattresses rolled up at the foot.     There was also a full bed.     In the middle of floor was a small table with 2 chairs.    There was a small counter area on the wall near where she and Jake was standing.    There were 4 flats of bottled water sitting on the counter.    Heather could see shelves underneath, one of which held the first aid kit.

"Ok...so we just have to figure out what to do for til tomorrow," Heather said.   "I am going to ask an obvious question but I have to ask.   Is there an extra key hidden somewhere in here?"

"Unfortunately, no.    We all have a key.   This hasn't ever happened.    A key in here would have been a good idea, huh?", Jake said sounding muffled.

While Heather had been inspecting the room Jake had been over looking thru the shelves underneath the counter.     Jake starting laughing as he pulled the shelves out from under the counter.

"Oh, I cannot believe this is still here.    I thought surely they would have found it by now," Jake said.

"What?", said Heather.

Heather could hear the scrapping of cement.  

"Back a few years ago, I wasn't the upstanding pillar of the community that you see before you," Jake said laughing.    "I was a bad bad boy.   I used to come out here quiet a bit and get drunk and for other things.   I have had quiet a few of those headaches you had this morning.     I always kept an emergency supply right here in this hiding place.   Look what I found."       Jake set 2 bottles of Boone's Farm wine and a box of strawberry and grape fruit rollups out on the floor.    "Yum... Apple Blossom and Strawberry Hill flavors.   What more could you ask for huh, fruit and wine,"  Jake turned back to the shelves and picked up a box of cheese crackers, "and of course the cheese!"

Heather was laughing by this point.    "Your own little seduction room.   Now if only you had music you would be all set."

"Wait wait....I just might have that covered.    My grandfather built this room to withstand a tornado so it is really strong.   He did this by reinforcing the walls with metal.   Do you know what a faraday room is?   Metal walls will usually block an EMP pulse.    Lets just see if I am remembering correctly here."   He walked over to one of the sets of bunkbeds and reached under it.    "Ah ha, here we go," Jake said as he pulled the box out.   Heather walked over and looked down in the box.   There was a CD player/radio in the box with some CDs.   He hit play on the CD player and Poison's "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" blared out.   He quickly turned it off.

"Ok....this should get you all hot and bothered.   Now we have wine, fruit, cheese AND music.    Interested? Huh?", Jake said, with an exaggerated lear.

Heather continued to laugh, "Ummmm, not now, maybe later."

Jake walked back over to the counter and replaced the cement block and pushed the shelf back underneath.   He started looking at the food on the shelf.

"Seriously, are you hungry?   There are crackers, chips, protein bars and some little cans of fruit.    It looks like my mom stocked this room last.   There is a box of flavor packets for water."

"Well, I don't want to mess up the whole seduction scene you have going but those cheese crackers look pretty good," Heather said smiling.  

"Here you start on these," Jake said handing her the box of crackers.  "I am smelling pretty gamey after cutting that stuff up.    I am going to take a bottle of water and a bar of soap and try to clean up a little bit."  

Heather sat down on the bed and started looking thru the box with the CDs in it.  

Jake walked over to the table and sat down pulling on his shirt.    He grabbed a protein bar and a bottle of water.  

"How are you feeling?   I'm sorry, Heather, this is all my fault.  I should have had those keys in my pocket.   I just wasn't thinking.", Jake asked looking over at her.

"I'm alright.   Sorry I lost it back there."

They smiled at each other in a silent agreement that the sorrys were done.    They listened to music and munched on snacks for a while longer.  

Jake got up from the table and went over to the bed and laid down on the side not taken by Heather and the CD player.    He stretched and rolled over on to his side and propped his head on his good hand.

"So....what are we going to do until the calvary gets here?", Jake said.

"Hmm...sleep?", Heather said.

Jake smiled, "Now that's boring.   We could talk about what happened before I left for Rogue River."

Heather blushed, "Why don't you tell me about San Diego?   I haven't ever been there.   I've never even seen the ocean except from an airplane."

"Now that is excellent avoidance of the subject," Jake laughed.   "What do you want to know about San Diego?  And how did you know I lived there by the way?"

"Emily told me," Heather told Jake, blushing deeper.    "Did you live close to the ocean?   Was the water warm?"

"The 4 of us lived in a beach house.   The deck was 100 yards from the water,"  Jake smiled, "it was so relaxing to hear the waves every night while you went to sleep.   Nothin' beats sitting out on the deck at night with a bucket of Coors Light on ice watching the waves."

"I bet Jacob's mother loved it.    What happened to her?", Heather asked trying to appear casual.

Jake knew what she was up to but didn't want to embarrass her.   He sat up and rubbed her back.  
"Heather, I wasn't referring to Jake's mother.   We haven't seen her or heard a word from her since he was 18mo old.    I was putting the baby in the carseat and while I was doing that, she got in her car a drove away like a bat out of Hell.   The only explanation was a note taped to the car saying Jacob was a mistake that never should have happened.    No word of any kind since then.   I hated her for a long time but I am over that.   I just want what's best for my boy.    I have full custody due to abandonment.   I did look for her about a year ago...just to see where she was in case I ever needed anything medically for Jake.   She wasn't a bad or evil person...she was just someone who couldn't cope with everything that went with being a single mom.   Turns out she had gotten married and had 3 more kids.    At that point she was still living in Rogue River.   I never contacted her....I just wanted to know where she was in case the need ever came up"

"Oh my God, Jake, how awful for you and Jacob," Heather gasped.

"We have been fine.   It was a rough go in the beginning but it evened out pretty quick.   When I said "the 4 of us" I was referring to me, Jake, Nana Kate, the nanny slash housekeeper and Brandee, the German Shepard.    I didn't even have a real girlfriend.   I was away with my job so much that I didn't even bother--no time to devote to a relationship."

"What was your job?   Why did you have to leave so much?   How did that effect Jacob?", Heather asked.   She wanted to ask about the dog tags but wasn't brave enough yet.

"I did a little bit of everything for the company.   Nothing really specific.   I fixed problems.   Unfortunately, those problems made me have to travel a lot.   I have so many frequent flyer miles I could go round the world first class.      Jacob was fine with it.   I found a gem with Nana Kate.    She was a wonderful mother for Jake,  for both of us to be honest."

"Oh, I bet," Heather laughed.   "I bet she was a young, blonde, Swedish woman with big bazoombas."

"Nope.   She was a 54 year old widowed English woman.    She reminded me a lot of my mother...only her hair was dark brown."   Jake laid back down and pulled Heather down beside him.  "What about you?"

"What about me?   You know all about me.    I was the textbook high school geek, never had a boyfriend in high school,  didn't go to the prom, got a full scholarship to KSU and now I teach 3rd grade at Jericho Elementary School."

"That seems a little abbreviated.    No boyfriend here in Jericho?", Jake asked stroking her arm.

Heather raised up and looked at him, "Jake, this is Jericho.   Think about what you just asked.    Did you date a lot of people when you lived here before?"

"Good point," Jake said, smiling.

"I've dated a few guys since coming back to Jericho but nothing serious.   I even went out with Stanley a few times.    We decided that it was too much like brother and sister dating so it never got past 3 dates.   Me and him and Bonnie go out a lot together but only as friends doing something together."   Heather skipped over her relationship with Joey in college.   That wasn't something she was ready to talk about.

Jake bent down and lightly kissed her while stroking her cheek not certain how far to take it.  A nearly silent sigh and a gentle movement toward his body alleviated some of Jake's uncertainty.  But still he couldn't help but feel that there was a sense of hesitancy in her movement.

Heather pulled away before it could go too far.   She didn't want Jake to know that she had never, that she was a..... she didn't even want to think the word.

Jake took a deep breath and laid back down "I hope I didn't push" he thought.

Jake looked at her and touched her hair, "I'm sorry."

With a gentle caress to his chest she said, "Don't be."

Heather looked around and took a deep breath, "So tell me, how does the original Jericho Bad Boy deal with being a single father?"

With a smile that was 1% understanding and 99% confusion,  he sighed, sat up, propped himself against the cold cement wall, ran his fingers thru his hair and said quietly, "I guess I'm not that bad anymore."

Heather, acting as if she didn't hear him, repeated the question.

"Just a minute," Jake said, getting up, walking across the room and getting the bottle of Strawberry wine and box of Cheez-Its.   He grabbed a couple of paper cups and came back to the bed.

Jake opened the wine and poured himself a cup, "Not the most romantic stemware but it serves its purpose.   Want some?", he said offering her the bottle and the box.

"Sure," Heather said.

"Now," Jake said settling himself against the wall again, "what was it, single parenting.    The most important thing I can tell you about being a single parent is that it is a hard job.   Harder than any job you can go out and get.   I am lucky enough now to have a nanny.   When it was just Jake and me, there were days I didn't know how I was going to make it thru the day, sometimes the next 5 minutes.   But somehow you just do.   Screaming tantrums, 103 degree temps and ear infections, asthma attacks, puking and no sleep.   It's hard enough when there is someone there to help so you can walk away for a minute alone but when it is just you and a kid you can't walk any farther than the bathroom and forget doing that alone.    I can't tell you how many times I left a screeching 2 year old in the hall while I went in the bathroom and locked the door for a few minutes.      I was lucky enough to be able to move to a good neighborhood and hire a nanny when Jacob was almost 4."   Jake smiled to himself, "But on the other hand, there is nothing like being the one who gets all the kisses and hugs either.   Jake is 8 now but I still can remember all words to every Wiggles and Barney song.    Now its iPod, XBox and Playstation.   I guess I deal alright with it.    He doesn't seem to screwed up yet."

Jake looked down into the cup of wine and then looked at Heather and smiled, "This stuff is really bad ain't it."

Heather smiled back, "It's not that bad."

Jake refilled his cup and offered  the bottle to Heather.   She shook her head no and continued sipping on the wine in her cup.  

"So what does a 26 year old, single 3rd grade teacher do in the roving metropolis of Jericho?"

"How do you know I'm 26?", Heather asked.

"Yeah, I can ask questions too.    I know that you are 26 years old and that you haven't seriously dated anyone since you moved back and started teaching here.    I also know that you were the Salutatorian of your senior class at good ole Jericho High School.   And I also know that you have a lead foot," Jake said laughing.  "So, tell me, how do you get a vehicle up to 70 on Main Street.    I know that your Explorer is a V8 but Main Street isn't that long....how did you manage to get it up to 70?"

Heather blushed and laughed, "It wasn't 70, it was 68.   I was mad and just wanted to get home.   It was 1:30am so there wasn't anyone on the street, except Bill of course.   Deputies are supposed to keep that kind of stuff quiet, not tell everyone!"

She took the wine bottle and refilled her cup.   "Being a 3rd grade teacher in Jericho was a pretty cush job.    Everywhere has their problem kids, but for the most part the kids were good and the parents decent.   I had years where I had a lot of parent help and could relax and years where I had no volunteers at all and worked my butt off.   All in all it was a very satisfying job."   She was quiet for a minute and then looked over at Jake, " I miss it, Jake, I really do."

Jake took another drink of wine and rubbed her leg, "I know you do.   I can see what a good teacher you are when you are around Jake.   Anyone could tell that you love kids.    Hopefully, people will decide that the kids have to have an education and will reopen the school in some form."

"The best thing about bad wine is, sooner or later it's gone."   He poured the last of it in his cup.   He looked at the bottle, "This was how I spent most weekends before I left.  In this room, on this bed drinking myself to sleep.   Life sure has changed."   He looked over at Heather and smiled at her, "For the better, definitely for the better."   He didn't feel the need to tell Heather that most of those weekends were spent with Emily, but the wine of choice would have been the Apple Blossom not the strawberry.                                                                                                                                        

This room and sitting on this bed with a bottle of wine was playing hell with his memory.    Those were stories best left for another place and time and probably not with Heather.    

Conversation slowed as fatigue and the wine took their toll.    

Jake looked at Heather, "A toast.   Till tomorrow, when someone opens that door."    They raised their cups and finished the last of the wine.

To be continued......

Chapter 7 by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

I would like to give credit to my husband for helping me get in the mind of a man for parts of this chapter. He is a great sounding board for my story.    

*******************************************************

The night wore on and the lamp burned down.    It got colder and colder in the room.   Both Jake and Heather kept nodding off.    Neither of them wanted to approach the subject of bed.

Jake looked at Heather and saw her nodding off again.   He sat up and stroked her cheek.

"This is ridiculous, Heather.   There's no sense in you sitting there nodding, trying to stay awake so we can avoid the embarrassment of going to bed.    Lay down and go to sleep.   I'll go over to the table or sleep in one of the bunks.   I'm a big ole growed up boy,  I won't be permanently scarred if we don't have sex tonight," he said, smiling softly, trying to break the tension.

"No, Jake, I wasn't doing that," Heather said, lightly laying her hand on Jake's thigh.  "Really, I wasn't.    You're right, I am getting sleepy.   I think I'll go to bed.   You don't have to sit at the table all night or sleep in the bunk bed.    You can sleep here too.   Are there any blankets?   It's getting cold."

Jake got up and went over to a  trunk in the corner and got a couple of quilts.    

"Go ahead and go to sleep.   I'll be there in a few minutes," Jake said, handing the quilts to Heather.

Heather took her shoes off and sat back on the bed.    She shivered.    Jake seemed to notice for the first time how thin Heather's shirt was.   He pulled his long sleeve white t-shirt off and tossed it to her.

"Here, put this on.   You're freezing," Jake said.

"What about you?", Heather asked, holding the shirt.

"I'm fine with this one," Jake said, smiling softly at Heather.    "If I get cold I will wrap up in a quilt."

She curled up under the quilts and went to sleep with visions of Jake in his black t-shirt and thinking "God, he smells good."

Jake sat down at the table and opened a bottle of water.   As he watched Heather sleep, his mind drifted between sleep and another place and time that still held part of his heart.   Dark hair, a calm, gentle smile, a ready laugh.    Sara.   He had last seen her at the airport before she got on the shuttle bus for her flight to Washington D.C.   Was she alive?   He didn't feel her anymore.  

He looked over at the bottle of Apple Blossom wine.   He reached for it and opened it.............

*********************************************

Gail and Eric pulled up in front of the barn.    Jake's dew covered car was parked beside the fence.   Something wasn't right.    It was 40 degrees out this morning but the windows were rolled down.   The trunk was wide open.    Gail had felt like something was wrong since the evening before but couldn't put her finger on it.    She had gotten up this morning and looked in the boys' room but Jake wasn't there, just Jacob and Dreyfuss, the dog.    Her mother radar went into high alert.   If this had happened several years ago she would have just sighed and wondered where she and Johnston had gone wrong.   Not now though, Jake was mature and responsible now.    Something was wrong--she felt it.   She had gone to find Eric and here they were.

"Mom, who did Jake bring out here with him?", Eric asked.

"No one as far as I know.   Why?", Gail asked.

"There's a pink backpack, romance novel and a pink jacket over here.   The jacket is too small and definitely not his style," Eric said, holding up a hot pink zip up jacket.   "I see him more in a lavender pullover hoodie."

Gail gave him her ugliest mother look.     Eric dropped his eyes and handed her the backpack.

"See if you can find any ID in there."  

Eric looked in the car and handed out a ponytail holder and a headband.    

"Mom, I think Jakey-Boy is up to his old tricks."

Gail looked at the name tag inside the pack, "Heather Lisinski".   She thought Jake and Heather were getting close. But she knew Heather and she thought she knew Jake and she didn't think they had come out her for a rendezvous.

"Eric, I don't think so.   Something is not right.   Let's take a look in the barn."

Gail walked into the barn.   The horses were well supplied with food and water.    "They made it into the barn," she thought.   She walked towards the back.   There were bandage wrappers and bloody gauze on the floor with an empty bottle of alcohol.   There was an overturned chair by the door of the Bunker.  Jake's keys were hanging from the lock.   Surely, he hadn't gotten locked in.   They approached the door and turned the key.      

Gail opened the door.   Harsh early morning sunlight fell into the room showing the small table with two empty wine bottles and a box of crackers.    She turned her flashlight on and played it around the room.    When she got to the bed she saw them.   Jake and Heather were sound asleep under Grandma Green's Wedding Ring quilt.   Heather's head rested on Jake's bare chest.   His left arm was wrapped  protectively around her.

Eric walked in behind Gail at that moment and gave a dirty chuckle.

"Oh no, not our Jake, he would never do something like this," Eric said with a snide grin.

Gail gave Eric a disapproving gaze then looked back at the sleeping pair.   Her eyes focused on the large white bandage around Jake's hand.

At that moment Jake and Heather woke up.   The bright sunlight coming thru the door stabbed their eyes.   They could see two people framed in the doorway but they couldn't tell who they were.

Jake held his arm up in front of his face to block the light and said, "Who's there?" in a gravelly voice.

"Jake, its me", said Gail.

"Mom?", Jake asked.   "Let me get the flashlight.   I can't see anything."

"Are you alright?", said Gail.   "What happened?   What's wrong with your hand?"

"Just a minute, Mom.   Let me wake up," Jake said.

Heather pushed the blanket back and swung her legs over the side of the bed and started putting on her shoes.

"Mrs. Green, I'm so happy to see you!", Heather said.

"Jake, what happened?", Gail asked again.

"We came out here yesterday to take care of the horses.   I saw some trees had blown down so I cut them up.    When I was stacking the wood, I cut my hand and Heather cleaned it and bandaged it.    I was stupid and left the keys in the door instead of in my pocket.    When we came in to put the first aid kit away, the door accidentally shut and we were locked in.   Boring, but true," Jake explained.

"Yeah, but what happened in here after the door closed?", Eric asked, chuckling with a knowing smile.   "Where's your shirt, Jake?"

Heather blushed and looked at Jake.    Jake looked at Eric with fire in his eyes.    Before Jake could say anything or get to Eric, Heather hand went sailing thru the air and the sound of the smack echoed thru the air.   Jake looked appreciatively at Heather.

"My shirt is hanging on the back of the chair drying.   I spilled a bottle of water on it," Jake said.

"Alright, kids, stop it.   This is ridiculous.   Thank God everyone is alright.   That all that matters," Gail said.

Gail ushered everyone out of the room and into the cold, sunny barn.

"Mom, I think it would be a good idea to load the food and stuff in that room up and take it home.   There is a lot of food and water in there," Jake said.

Heather looked at Jake and Gail and smiled a tight smile, "I hate to ask this but is there a bathroom anywhere around?"

Gail smiled back at her, "Sure, Honey, in the workroom up front."    Heather hastily walked towards the front.

Gail looked pointedly at Eric, " I need a few minutes alone with your brother.   Why don't you go check the horses in the corral."   Eric looked from Gail to Jake and quickly left the barn.

"Alright, Jacob Green, what went on here?", Gail asked.   "Two empty wine bottles, no shirt and you and Heather in bed together.   It looks bad.   I know Heather and I think she is a good girl.   You seem to have grown up a lot so I don't really think anything happened, but Jake"

"Mom," Jake protested.   Gail held up her hand and stopped him.

"Don't interrupt me," Gail said.   "I know you and Emily used to come out here and I have a pretty good idea of what went on and where that wine came from..."

Jake's head shot up and he blushed.   Gail gave him a very pointed look and went on.

"This girl is a very sweet girl, Jake.   She hardly ever dates.   It wouldn't surprise me at all if she was a...."

"MOTHER!",  Jake said.

"Anyway, like I was saying, you seem to have grown up in your time away.   I don't think you would intentionally hurt her, but be careful.   You also need to remember that you have a clone back at home who copies everything you do.    You have to set an example and taking your girlfriend away overnight isn't the one you want to set."

"Mom," Jake said again.

"Jake," Gail continued, "I believe you.   I don't think anything happened out here except what you said, but, son, two empty wine bottles and you in bed together.   It looks like something went on.   Don't do anything that would hurt Heather, or yourself."

"Mom, I have no plans to hurt Heather.   None.   I care too much to ever do anything to hurt her.   We got accidentally locked in, that's it, plain and simple.   We ate some food and drank some wine that I had hidden here years ago.   We went to sleep and you rescued us.   That's it.   There's no more."

"Um, hmmm," Gail said, "fine.   There's no more."

"One thing," Jake said, "how did you know I used to come out here with Emily?"

"Jacob Green, you need to realize something.   Your mother is neither blind nor stupid.  I know about lots of things that I think it best not to discuss."

Jake blushed again.    Gail smiled at him and patted his shoulder.

Heather came out of the workroom.  

"Hey, Heather, before you get too far this way, look in that room you just came out of.   Are there any boxes or anything we can use to pack the food up in?", Jake yelled.

Heather came back out with several cardboard boxes.   They went thru the storm shelter and packed up everything that they thought they could use and packed it up in the 2 cars.

"Mom, do you know what happened to grandpa's old wood stove?", Jake asked, while he was loading boxes.

"It rusted and fell apart, literally," Gail said, "Why?"

"Heather is looking for something to heat her apartment with.   All she has is electric heat," Jake said.

"Sorry, Honey, but the stove fell apart.   We'll see what we can come up with."

While they had been working, the sky had become lead gray and off to the West there were banks of clouds that looked serious.   The wind had been blowing all morning and now it was starting to bite.

"Let's head home, kids.   It's starting to look really nasty," said Gail, getting into Eric's truck.
*******************************************************************************

Jake and Heather got into the 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner and followed Gail and Eric back towards town.

Jake looked over at Heather and smiled.   He reached over and took her hand, the bandage making him clumsy.

"Heather, I'm sorry.   If I had just put those damn keys in my pocket.  We would have never been locked in that storm cellar."

"It's just as much my fault " said Heather.  "I'm the one with two left feet that kicked the chair from under the door."

No more words were spoken at the time.  But Heather considered the mystery of fate...Yes, if not for two accidents, they never would have been locked inside that storm cellar...together.

*****************************************************

Thanks for reading my stories.    This one isn't quiet as exciting as the previous couple of chapters but I had to wind up the whole cellar story.    I introduced a couple of new elements that will come into play in upcoming chapters.    I can't wait to get them written!!    Feedback is very much appreciated and welcome!    Thanks again for reading!!

SherryG

Chapter 8: The Storm by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

I would again like to give credit to my husband for helping me get in the mind of a man for parts of this chapter. He is a great sounding board for my story.

                                                                   
*******************************************************************************

The weather over the next few weeks seemed as confused as most of the residents.  As if it too didn't fully understand what had happened.   There had been a few days of biting cold and then a quick warm-up.   The temperature in Kansas should never be in the 70's in December.
 
The past few nights had brought thunderstorms.   Nothing severe but enough to make Jake wonder what would happen when the weather changing storm came.    There was no way to predict weather now.       There was no neatly dressed weather man on the 6 o'clock news forecasting tomorrow's temperature .   They were on their own.    All day today it was as if the wind was competing for direction.    First it would blow from the South and then it would change and come in from the northwest.    It was also muggy, like in mid-August.    Jake had a feeling that tonight's storm wasn't just going to rumble and blow itself out.    Tonight would be bad.
 
******************************************************************************
 
Jake and Heather walked in the door of the Green home accompanied by a loud rumble of thunder.    The antique clock on the mantel read a few minutes past nine.     They had been at Bailey's but Jake wanted to get home before the storm got bad.
 
"Have a seat," Jake said to Heather, "let me run up and check on Jake.   Storms really scare him.   This one is gonna be a bad one."
 
He went quietly upstairs.   There was a line of light under his parent's bedroom door.   Someone must be reading.   He peaked into his and Jacob's bedroom.    Jacob was asleep with the pillow over his head.    His arm was wrapped around Dreyfuss's neck.   Jake smiled and went back downstairs.
 
Heather had lit some candles and was looking at an old picture album of Jake and Eric when they were young.     Jake walked up behind her and looked over her shoulder.   She was smiling at a picture of him and Eric and Mickey Mouse.    He sat down beside her on the couch, their legs touching they were so close.
 
"Jake, it really is amazing how much Jacob looks like you," Heather said.
 
Jake smiled, "I guess it would be hard to deny him.   Eric was so scared of those characters.   Mom would have to bribe him to get a picture.   Look at the pictures again, he is never standing directly beside any of them.   We had meals with the characters and Eric spent most of the meal hiding under the table."
 
"Poor, Eric," Heather said, laughing.
 
There was a clap of thunder so loud the glass rattled and the living room was washed white from the lightening.    The wind shrieked.
 
"Wow, that was impressive," Jake said, blinking his eyes.   He sat down on the couch beside Heather.
 
"I looked all thru the barn and in the attic at my grandparent's house.   There is no heater or wood stove of any kind," Jake said.  "I did find a old hand crank washing machine at the house.   You would have thought Mom had won a prize.    I guess it is better than a washboard though.    I told Stanley what we were looking for and he is going to look around his place for something that'll work for you."
 
"Thanks, Jake," I really appreciate it.   "We'll figure something out."
 
There was an even louder clap of thunder with near simultaneous  lightening.  The storm now virtually over the top of the house with a  pounding sound announcing that the rain too had now arrived.
 
"I miss the Weather Channel," Jake said, blinking at the sudden brightness.
 
He and Heather continued looking at the album as the storm got worse.   The thunder rolled and the wind shrieked.    Lightening streaked across the sky.    Jacob came running downstairs.    He was unable to block the storm out with a pillow anymore.
 
"Hey, Buddy," Jake said, settling Jacob down on the couch beside him.
 
"It's a real bad storm, Dad," Jacob said, with a quick, shakey voice.
 
"Yeah, it is.   It's a lot different from storms at the beach, isn't it?"
 
"Yeah, it's a lot louder with more lightening," Jacob said, yawning.
 
Heather had been watching them quietly.   They were obviously very close.   She could see how much Jake loved his son just by looking at his eyes when he was with him.
 
 Fortunately, the storm was as swift to move away as it was vicious to come.
 
"Ya know, I think the storm is starting to go away," Jake said reassuringly.
 
"How do you know?"
 
"Because I can count," Jake said.  "Know what you do?   When you see the lightening you count til you hear the thunder.   If you can count higher each time the storm is moving away.   Wanna try?"
 
"Yeah," Jacob in a small voice with a slight nod.
 
Lightening flashed.
 
"Wow, that's a big one," Jake said.    "Ok," he said, with a reassuring nod.
 
"One, two," they said together.    Thunder rumbled.
 
"I bet next time you are going to get to three and four."
 
Heather smiled.   Her father had told her the same thing when she was a little girl. She was a little embarrassed to admit that she still found herself counting when a storm came thru Jericho.
 
After about 20 minutes, Jacob started dozing off.
 
Jake gently shook him, "Ready to go back to bed?"
 
"I guess," he said, stifling a yawn and getting up.   "Good night, Miss Lisinski."
 
Jake looked at Heather and smiled, "I'll be back in a few minutes.   Let me get him back in bed."
 
Jake followed the boy upstairs.   Even though she knew she shouldn't, Heather followed.   She stood back in the shadows and watched.
 
Jake got Jacob settled in bed and tucked him in.   He sat down beside him.
 
"Do you think you're gonna be able to go to sleep?", he asked, rubbing his back.
 
Jacob yawned, "Um hmm," already starting to drift off, or at least Jake thought he was.   He started to get up but a small hand grabbed his.
 
"Dad do you think Santa got blowed up?"
 
"Nope.   I think the North Pole was safe.   Who would want to hurt Santa?"
 
Jacob got quiet again and just as Jake was getting ready to get up he started talking again.
 
"Dad, do you think it's coming a bad storm where Nana and Brandee and Sara are?", Jacob whispered.
 
Jake looked down at him and saw tears on his cheeks.   "Come 'ere," Jake said, pulling his son into a hug.
 
"No, I don't think it comes bad storms there.   I think it is always perfect there.   You don't need to worry.  O.K.?", Jake said quietly, with a choked voice.
 
Heather crept quietly back down the stairs.  Filled with emotions, and a little guilt for eavesdropping.  She had never seen Jake like that before.   She didn't know what to do.   "Who is Sara?" she thought, "A friend of Jacob's or someone special to Jake?"
 
Jake came slowly down the stairs a few minutes later.   Heather was back on the couch looking at the picture album as if she had never moved.    
 
"Is everything alright?  Was he able to go back to sleep?", Heather asked.
 
"Yeah.   He wanted to talk for a few minutes but he drifted off pretty quick," Jake said.   He was digging thru the pockets of his coat.    He pulled out a battered pack of cigarettes and a lighter.  
 
Heather had no idea he smoked.  
 
Jake looked at Heather and smiled a tight pained smile, "I officially quit smoking a year ago.    This is only the second time I've fell off the wagon.   I'm gonna step outside just a minute.   I'll be right back."
 
Heather nodded.   She knew he needed a friend.    She wondered how she could go to him without him knowing she had overheard him talking upstairs.   She walked slowly to the door, took a deep breath and went outside.    The storm had passed.   All that was left was the rain.   It was a moonless night so it was almost totally dark.   She could barely make out a dark shape in the porch swing.   If it wasn't for the lit cigarette she would never have known he was there.
 
"I'm over here," Jake said quietly.
 
Heather walked slowly to the porch swing and sat down beside him.
 
"Are you alright?", Heather asked.
 
"I'll be fine.    Jake asked me if there were bad storms in Heaven," Jake said quietly.  "It just kinda got to me.   With everything we're doing to survive here and now, I sometimes forget what he's lost.     I think he's getting over everything and then he stops me cold with a question like that."
 
"That must have been hard," Heather said, taking his hand and giving it a slight squeeze.
 
Jake leaned back in the swing , put his arm around her and pulled her close.   He leaned down and lightly kissed her.     They sat in silence for a few minutes.    Jake shifted around in the swing until his back was leaning against the chain.   Heather leaned back against his chest.                                      
 
 "I can feel your heartbeat,"  she said.    In the darkness, she was just sure she felt him smile.  He held her with one arm and shook out another cigarette.  
 
"I promise this is the last one and I am back on the wagon.  But I have to confess, it's been a really slippery wagon lately."    As Heathers eyes began to adjust to the darkness, she did indeed see a sly smile.
                                                                   
 *******************************************************************************
 
"Did I ever mention I have a sister?" Heather asked.    "That part was true enough," she thought.
 
" No, I don't think so", Jake said, sounding distracted.
 
Now Heather could feel her own heart beat.    It felt like it was about to explode out of her chest.   Speaking again, this time rushing her words more than normal.
 
"Yeah, Sara, she's 2 years older than me.  We had a bit of a falling out. Hadn't spoken in years.  She lived in California."   A line that was somewhat less than true but she had to know who Sara was.
 
Heather could feel Jake tense briefly.
 
Exhaling a large puff, Jake paused for a moment and very quietly said, "I knew a girl named Sara once."
 
"Really!" Heather said, with a gust of emotion greater than Jake would have expected, "Someone you want to talk about?"
 
"No," Jake said, lighting another cigarette................

*************************************************************************
Thanks for reading my stories.   Feedback is very much appreciated and welcome! Thanks again for reading!!

Chapter 9: Moving In by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

I would again like to give credit to my husband for helping me get in the mind of a man for parts of this chapter. He is a great sounding board for my story.


*******************************************************************************


The next morning dawned clear, sunny and definitely cooler.   Heather woke up disoriented for a minute.   "Where am I?" she thought.    Then the night before came rushing back.   She was asleep in April Green's room.   Jake had convinced her that staying there was a good idea since they would be leaving first thing for Stanley's to look for a heater or stove of some sort for her apartment.    She couldn't believe she had lied so cooly to Jake to trick him into talking about Sara.   It hadn't worked.   He wouldn't talk about her.    She was glad that her sister had left town years ago.   She thought that most people in Jericho wouldn't even remember Sara and the ones that did wouldn't know that she had moved to Paris, not California.   At least she had been living in Paris the last time they had talked.....4 years ago.   Jake had told her that it was ridiculous to go home in the rain only to sleep for a couple of hours and come back.   She had wanted to just sleep on the couch but Jake told her that was ridiculous since April would be on duty til noon.     After that they had spent a very pleasant time together in the swing.

Heather laid in bed.   It was nice and warm and she didn't want to move.    The house was coming to life around her.   She could smell coffee brewing.   It sounded like Johnston and Gail were down in the kitchen.    It was so nice to wake up without feeling alone in the world like she did every morning.   She smiled at the conversation she was hearing in the bedroom next door.

"Dad?"

"Hm," a very still sleep voice answered.

"Da-ad?", she could almost see Jacob shaking Jake's shoulder.    It had been very late/early when they had made it upstairs and she wasn't surprised Jake was still asleep.

"Dad!", Jacob's said, his voice sounding very exasperated.

"What?", Jake said, his voice now muffled like maybe it was coming from under a pillow.

"It's morning.   It's time to get up.  We're going to Stanley's today.   Don't you remember?   We're going to see the puppies.   Get up, Dad!", Jacob said.

"Get dressed, I'll get up in a few minutes," Jake said, still sounding muffled.

"I am dressed.   Uncover your head.   Let's go!," Jacob said.

Heather then heard the unmistakable whump of a pillow hitting a body--hard.

"Boy!" Jake yelled, "that's it, you're in for it now."

Jacob screamed and then started laughing uncontrollably.

"Daddy, stop, stop it.   No tickling.   I can't breath."

"Are you gonna leave me alone for a few minutes?  You know what you have to say.  Say it!", Jake said, laughing.

"Never," Jacob gasped.

"Say it, say uncle."

"Ok, Ok, Uncle, Uncle!", Jacob gasped.

"Alright then.   Let me sleep a few more minutes before I come downstairs.   Tell Granna that Heather stayed in April's room last night."

"OK.   Please sleep fast though, OK?"

Heather smiled as she heard Jacob run past her door and pound down the stairs.   She got up and got ready to go downstairs.

She stepped out into the hall and peeked into Jake's bedroom.   Jake was still in bed with covers and a pillow over his head.    The only thing visible was Jake's knee and lower leg where the blankets had pulled off.   "He has no right to have a tan in December," Heather thought looking at her very pale arm.

Heather tiptoed into Jake's bedroom.    She crept up to the bed and started to grab Jake's leg and scare him when his hand shot out from under the blanket and grabbed her wrist.

"I know you're there.   Don't even think about it," Jake said pulling her down on the bed and covering her with the blanket as he started to mercilessly tickle her.  

Heather let out a startled yelp.

Jake instantly jerked his hands back and threw the covers back.   A look of shock on his face.

"Heather!  I'm sorry.   I thought it was Jake coming back for another go at tickle monster."

Heather couldn't stop laughing.    The look on Jake's face was priceless.

"Nope, it was me and I claim this round," she said, continuing to laugh.  With that she got up, patted his stubbly cheek and went downstairs leaving Jake speechless.


************

Jake walked into the kitchen 15 minutes later.    He grabbed a cup, poured some coffee and sat down.

Gail smiled at him, "You still look tired, Sweetheart.   Did the storm keep you awake?"

Jake shot a quick glance at Heather, "Yeah, something like that."

Johnston looked between Heather and Jake knowingly, sipped his coffee and said, "What are you two up to today?"

"We're going out to Stanley's and look around the old barn and old house for a wood stove for Heather's apartment.   We still haven't found anything."

"Dad, is it alright if I go see the horses with Grandpa?  He said there is a baby horse."

"Sure, if that's what you want to do."

********

Thirty minutes later Jake and Heather were on their way out of town.    

"Ya know, the last time we headed out of town we didn't come back for 2 days," Heather laughed.

Jake smiled his sideways grin, "I vaguely remember."

Jake looked over at Heather with a very serious expression on his face.   She didn't know what to think.   He had never looked at her like that before.  

"We need to talk about this morning."

"O-Ok...", Heather stammered.

"I have never lost a round of tickle monster.   Just so you know, you won't see it coming.   You will never know when or where but I will get you," Jake said, starting to laugh at the expression on her face.

Heather started to laugh too, glad he was joking.

"So, last night you told me you had an older sister.  Sara, I believe you said her name was.   Tell me about her.  Why haven't I ever seen her around?"

"OK," thought Heather, "how do I get out of this one?"  
"What do you want to know about her?", Heather asked.

"Does she live in town? Why haven't I seen her around with you?", Jake asked.

"Oh, no, she doesn't live in town anymore.   She uh, moved.   Years ago.   She couldn't wait to get out of Jericho.      We moved from Chicago when I was 11 and she was 13.  She never got over leaving the big city.   She left Jericho as soon as she was able to leave," Heather explained.     "We got into an ugly argument when Dad died.   I haven't seen or heard anything from her in years."  "Here goes nothing," she thought.
"She graduated from Harvard Law School and has been here and there all over the world working for the government.    Last I heard she was in California.....I don't know for sure.   I have a cell phone number but that's it."

"I know someone who graduated from Harvard.  That's a hard school.   Your sister must have been really smart," Jake said, his mind miles away.

They drove the rest of the way to the Richmond farm in silence, each lost in their own thoughts.

  ********

Several hours later, Jake and Heather were on the road back to Jericho.    They hadn't found any sort of old stove in working condition.     Stanley had loaded the car with overflow from the farm.   There was fresh milk, butter and eggs.   This was welcome after a steady diet of Spam, Velveeta and powdered milk.    Jake was still at a loss about what to do for Heather for this winter.

"You know you are welcome to stay at the house, right?", Jake asked, taking her hand.   "I'm not gonna let you freeze to death, at least not til my record is intact as the monster king." Jake smiled.

"I'll figure something out, Jake," Heather said.   "I am going to start by putting some plastic and quilts over the windows.   We'll figure something out."

********

A week passed.  Old man winter finally made his inevitable if un-welcomed  arrival.   Wednesday morning brought 8 inches of snow with more on the way.  

********
Gail and Johnston walked up the stairs to Heather's apartment.    Stanley had sent more food.   Gail wanted to make sure Heather had eggs and milk.   Actually, she just wanted a reason to check on her and this seemed a good one.    

Gail knocked on the door.   It was oddly muffled.    Gail looked at Johnston confused.  "That was an odd sound."

It took a minute but Heather finally answered the door.   She was dressed in a thick fleece sweatsuit, coat, hat and gloves.

"Hi!  I didn't expect to see you.   Come in."

Gail and Johnston walked in.   It was cold.   All the doors leading out of the living room were covered with quilts.   The windows were similarly covered.    There was a bottle of water on the table with ice floating in it.

"OK, Heather," Johnston said, "pack up what you need.   You are coming home with us.   Pride is one thing but freezing to death is ridiculous."

"Mr. Green, I couldn't do that.   I couldn't impose," Heather said, shocked.

Gail hugged Heather and patted her cheek, "You aren't imposing.   We have room.   We would love to have you.   If you stay here you will freeze.   There is no use in arguing with me, Heather.   Just go ahead and give in, in the end you're going to come anyway," Gail said patting her on the arm.

"Heather, just pack what you need for a couple of days.   Jake and Stanley can come in a few days and get the rest," Johnston said.   "There is a room downstairs that used to be my office.   I don't use it anymore.   There is a sofa bed.   It isn't the most comfortable but it will do til we can get a bed down there.    I knew your father very well.   He was a good friend.   I am not going to let his daughter freeze to death."

"Thanks," Heather said, hugging Gail and Johnston.

********
At the same time Johnston and Gail were bullying Heather into moving, Jake was at the ranch seeing to the horses.    His mind was far away.     His and Heather's relationship was slowly moving along.   He had come close, several times, to telling her the truth about life in San Diego.   He had told her he didn't have a girlfriend before the bombs, that had almost been the truth.   Sara wasn't a "girlfriend", she was much much more.   She had lived with him and Jacob for the past 3 years.   She had been in Washington D.C. when the bombs hit.    He didn't know for sure, but felt almost positive, that Sara was dead.   He couldn't feel her inside him anymore.   How would he tell Heather about Sara?   Should he tell her was another thing he wondered.

********

The next day Jake, Stanley, Mimi and Heather were packing up Heather's things.   Heather and Mimi had gotten the winter clothes and extra blankets packed pretty quickly.   They had put Jake and Stanley to work packing books.   Heather couldn't bare to leave her books.   Mimi started taking what little food there was in the cabinets and packing it in boxes.   Heather saw no reason to leave it.   They were going to need all the extra food they could get.   Heather was in the walk-in pantry trying to find her stepladder so she could dig on the top shelf and get into the top cabinets when Jake found her.    He slid in behind her and put his arms around her from behind and nuzzled her neck.   He loved to hear her giggle when he did that.

Heather smacked his hands playfully, "Stop, Jake, what will Stanley and Mimi think if they see?"

"What do you think they're doing right now?", Jake laughed.   He turned her around and gave her a soft, slow kiss.  

"We have your favorite books packed.   Now what?", Jake asked.

"Would you stand on that crate and look on the top shelf and in those cabinets?   I'm not tall enough," Heather asked.

Jake pulled a plastic milk crate over and took the flashlight and started looking around.

"How often do you look up here?", Jake asked in a laughing way.

"Not often.   It's too high.  Why?", Heather asked suspiciously.

Jake handed her down 3 large boxes of tampons, "I just wondered how many of these you need?", he said laughing.

Heather blushed a very deep red.   "I am so embarrassed.   I can't believe I left those up there."

He continued to chuckle, "It's OK.   I've seen them before.   I've even bought them, which is never fun for a man I might add.   It's part of life.   I bet there are lots of women in Jericho that would give about anything for one of those boxes."

"Just give them here and I'll pack them," Heather said quickly, wanting to change the subject.   "What else is up there?"

"There's all kinds of stuff up here.   Seriously, how often do you check up here?   There are all kinds of snacks.   Crackers, 4 huge jars of peanut butter, cereal, candy, there are all kinds of things up here.   Why do you have all this stuff?   There is no way you could eat all this before it goes bad," Jake said, still poking around.

"It was supposed to be for school," Heather said.

"Oh, makes sense," Jake said, handing down things one by one.

"Just think, lots of snacks for home though," Heather said.

"I like to hear you call it home," Jake said.

They finished packing and pushed the boxes out into the kitchen.

Stanley came into the kitchen as they were pushing the boxes out of the pantry.  
"It's starting to snow again.   Lets break the bed down and get loaded up before it gets going good."

********

Several hours later, Heather surveyed her new room.   She couldn't believe she was living here.

When they had gotten home Gail had surprised them with a huge pot of chicken stew and fried bread.   No one had eaten anything so good in months.   Even Jacob, the original Mr. Picky, had gone back for seconds.   By mid-afternoon the snow was piling up.   This snow wasn't going to blow away like it had earlier in the week.   This was a serious storm.   Stanley and Mimi left for home.   The Green household settled in for the first winter storm of the year.

********

It had been so long since Heather had experienced family life she didn't quite know what to do.   She had helped Gail with the dishes but didn't know where the dishes went so she wasn't a lot of help.    She walked out into the living room and saw Jacob sitting in the window seat reading by flashlight.    Heather walked over to him and sat down on the seat beside him.

"Hey, whatcha reading?", she asked.

"A scary comic book I found in the attic," Jacob said quietly, looking out at the moonlit snow.

"I bet this is a lot different than living on the beach, huh?", Heather asked.

"Yeah, the only time I saw snow was when we went skiing.    I miss the beach.   I miss my room and my stuff."

"Why don't you tell me about your room.   Maybe it will help you not miss it as much," Heather said.

Jacob smiled, "It was white with a blue ceiling and clouds.  I had bunk beds and slept on top.    There were airplanes hanging from the ceiling."

"What about your toys?", Heather asked.

"They were all the way downstairs.   Mine and Nana's rooms was upstairs.    The playroom was all the way downstairs.   The TV and my computer and Playstation was down there too ."

"What about your dad?   Didn't he have a bedroom?"

"Of course, Silly!", Jacob laughed, "His and Sara's room was in the middle beside the living room where it was quiet.   That's where the deck was too"

The front door opened and Jake came in carrying an armload of snow covered firewood.    

"It is cold out there," Jake said, noticing Heather and Jacob sitting on the window seat.   "What are you two in top secret meetings about?"

"Nothing," said Heather, "Jacob was telling me about his bedroom and playroom in San Diego."

Jake raised an eyebrow, "He was.   Did he tell you how messy they always were.   How poor Nana finally just gave up and said if it wasn't falling out in the hall she would live with it?", Jake said smiling.  

Heather winked at Jacob, "No, we didn't talk about that."

Jake smiled at them.   He tapped Jacob on the top of the head, "It's almost 10.   You need to go to bed.  Go wash up and brush your teeth."

"Do I have to?   I'm not tired.  Why do I have to go to bed?"

"Because," said Jake.

"Because why?"

"Because I'm the dad and I said it's time for bed," Jake said, very matter of factly.

"Oh, alright.   Can I take my comic book?"

"Yes.   You have 30 minutes til lights out."

Jacob quickly ran upstairs.    Jake smiled, "In 10 minutes he'll be out."

Jake and Heather sat down on the couch.    

Jake looked over at Heather, "So, are you unpacked and settled in?"

"I just need to make up the bed and I am all set," Heather said, stifling a yawn, "I'm pathetic," she laughed, "I think you need to put me to bed."

"Um....maybe later," Jake said, with a sly grin.

Heather smacked him on the leg, "You are so bad."

Jake smiled, "That's what they've been saying about me for years.   It must be true."

Heather got up and stretched, "I think I am going to go to bed.   I'll see you in the morning."

Jake smiled and nodded.   After Heather left he sat looking at the fire, lost in memories.    He made a decision.

********

An hour later Heather was sitting in the chair beside the fireplace in her new bedroom.   She was tired and thought she would have no trouble going to sleep but for some reason she just couldn't.   The more she tried to go to sleep the wider awake she became.    She looked down at the book in her lap and tried to read but realized she had been trying to read the same paragraph for 15 minutes.   It was no use.   She put the book down and looked out the window.    It was still snowing heavily.

There was a quiet knock on her door.  

"Come in," Heather said quietly.

It was Jake.  

"I saw the light from the candles.   Were you getting ready to go to sleep?"

"I can't go to sleep.  I am just sitting here relaxing.   Come in," Heather said.

Jake came in carrying a bag.  "We haven't officially celebrated your moving in.   I think a celebration is in order," he said walking across the room.

He sat down in front of the fireplace and started taking things out of the bag---aluminum foil, graham crackers, peanut butter and chocolate.    

"I raided some of the snacks from your apartment.   You haven't had a treat until you try chocolate peanut butter smores.    They only turn out right if made secretly, late at night, over a fire," Jake said, smiling.    He took the fireplace shovel and wrapped it in aluminum foil.   Then he layered graham cracker, peanut butter and chocolate and held it over the fire.  

He held the shovel out to Heather, "Here hold this while I get the next one ready."

Minutes later Heather was having her first chocolate peanut butter smore, and it was good.    After they'd each had their fill they sat in front of the fire.   Heather was sitting between Jake's legs leaned back against his chest.     She had started to doze.     Jake put his arms around her and kissed her check.   He lightly shook her.

"Heather, there are some things I need to tell you.     Some things that I think you need to know about my life before I came back to Jericho.    Things no one else know about...................."  

To be continued...............

*************************************************************************
Thanks for reading my stories. Feedback is very much appreciated and welcome! Thanks again for reading!!

Chapter 10: Jake's Story by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

Thanks to my husband for proofing the story before posting.

***********************************************************



Jake's Story, Part 1

The blizzard raged outside Heather's bedroom window.    She and Jake had just finished a feast of chocolate peanut butter smores and all felt right in Heather's world.   She was sitting between Jake's legs leaned back against his chest.     She had started to doze.     Jake was gently holding her.    He bent down and kissed her cheek.   Earlier in the evening, Jake had decided that Heather needed to know, had a right to know, about his past.    He gently shook her.

"Heather, there are some things I need to tell you.     Some things that I think you need to know about my life before I came back to Jericho.    Things no one else knows about...................."

Heather opened her eyes and stretched.    She laced her fingers with Jake's and looked up at him, "You don't have to, Jake."

"Yeah, I do," Jake said, "you have a right to know before we go any further.   Are you comfortable?   Warm enough?"

"I'm fine, Jake," Heather said.    She really wanted to hear this but now that Jake was going to tell her, she was nervous.

"Why don't we get on the bed.   It's more comfortable and this could take a while," Jake said.    He was stalling he knew.   He wanted Heather to know but he was afraid that her knowing would push her completely away.   He definitely didn't want that to happen.

They got settled on the bed with Jake sitting with his back against the headboard and Heather laying down with her head in his lap.   He absently stroked her hair and back as he searched for where to start.

"My dad was in the Army, stationed in France when I was born.   When I was about a year old we moved back here to Jericho.    I became a very unhappy big brother when I was three.    Dad was elected Mayor for the first time when I was seven.    Very shortly after that I started hearing "Behave.   Don't act like that.   You're the Mayor's oldest son.   You have to set an example for other kids".   You're a minister's daughter, I'm sure you and your sister heard pretty much the same thing."

Heather nodded silently.

"I spent a lot of time with my grandparents to get away from that.    Grandpa taught me all about horses and running a ranch and flying.    I was flying his plane before I was 13 years old.    The older I got the more I started to rebel against the whole "you must be a pillar of the community" thing.   Eric wallowed in it.   He was the perfect son.    Emily and I had always played together.   We went from friends to boyfriend girlfriend without really even realizing it.    I was really a punk," Jake laughed, "I was into drugs, lots of booze and being exactly what a "pillar of the community" wasn't.    I met Jonah because of Emily.   I don't blame her.   I could have turned away but his life was exactly what mine wasn't and I ran to it.   Emily and I were lovers by then.   Jonah knew it and used it.   Hell, the whole damn town knew.     Emily and I were bad for each other.   We would break up and get back together and break up again.   We just couldn't leave each other alone.    Finally, my grandpa had enough.    He packed me off to Embry Riddle in Arizona.   Do you know what Embry Riddle is?"

"It's a flying school.  Right?", Heather asked.    She took his hand and kissed the top of it.    She knew this was really hard for him.  

"Yeah.   It's the best one in the country.    I graduated with a degree in Aeronautical Science.     During the summers and vacations I was always right there with Emily and Jonah.   Emily didn't have anything to do with Jonah, even then.   She knew he was bad business.   She didn't like that I was involved with him.   I worked in his chop shop.   I transported stuff that I shouldn't have.   I wasn't good people, Heather.   It about killed my mom.   I feel so bad about what I put her through."

Heather sat up, leaned into him and gave him a soft kiss.    She took his face in her hands, "Jake this stuff doesn't matter.   You don't have to go thru all this.   I can tell how painful this is."

Jake smile softly at her, loving her even more, "Heather, this is stuff you need to know."   He hugged her and continued to hold her as he went on with his story.

"My last year of school was a rough one.    I really wanted to be home.    I didn't want to be in school.    I wanted to be done and be back here for the important things....drugs, alcohol.   Emily.    No matter what either of us did to the other we just couldn't stay apart....and we did some pretty bad things.  I went home for spring break and Emily and I had an ugly fight and broke up.   I thought that time was it...there would be no more.    I went back to school really down.    I had done very well in school so I got lots of offers from the recruiters.    I'm a very good pilot.   A man came to my dorm room one evening, which was strange.   All the other recruiters had set up appointments.    He worked for the government.    Heather, please, no matter what happens with us, you can't tell anyone what I am about to tell you, ever.   It's top secret.   I shouldn't be telling but I want you to know."

Heather looked at Jake and nodded, "Alright."

"This man was a very plain man.   He was dressed in regular clothes, no suit and tie.   You could pass by him anywhere and never really see him.    He worked for a section of our government that most people have no idea exists.    He told me all about how our government needed men like me.   Men who were good pilots.   People who could get in and out of sticky situations without getting caught.  He knew all about me....all my dealings with Jonah.    It sounded like a good job.    I joined right up.    I graduated Embry with honors.   I lied to my parents and grandpa about taking more classes.    I got all kinds of training over the next year...in medical, explosives, that kinda stuff.     I went deep deep undercover with the understanding that if I ever got caught it was my ass.    They didn't know me.   Period.   I was told to go back home and they would activate me as needed.   I got a hefty monthly check for my trouble.    Back to Jericho, Emily and Jonah.   Emily and I continued to be on and off, mostly off.    I met Jacob's mother during a break up.    He was born 10 weeks early and had to have heart surgery.  He had me wrapped around his little finger the minute I carried him up to the NICU.    Emily and I were pretty much done by then....I was always gone.   She thought it was because of another woman.   I guess it was in an indirect way.   Becca and I never were more than a few dates and sex if I want to really tell myself the truth.  I was spending a lot of time at the hospital with Jacob.    Much more than his mother did.    I should have told my mom then, I don't know why I didn't.    I was just being selfish.    Emily was dating Mitchell Cafferty by then.      I started having to go places with my job then too.     I have been all over the world doing things that we don't officially want to get involved in.     In the spring and summer of 2001, Jonah started really pushing Chris into the business.   Chris didn't want to disappoint his father so he went along.   It was a very hot and humid June night when Jonah decided Chris, Mitch and me were going to rob a bank.    Stolen cars and drugs weren't enough for him anymore.    I told him no.   I wasn't going to do it and I didn't.    Chris died that night.    I called Emily on my way out of town and told her everything about Jonah and Chris and everything we were into to.    I told her how sorry I was.     We were done then and there, Heather.   It was and is over.   There is no Emily and Jake.    Are you ready to run away yet?", Jake asked, turning Heather's face towards his and looking into her eyes.

Heather smiled at Jake, "It takes more than a wasted youth to push a Lisinski away, Jake."   She snuggled into his chest.

Jake let out a pent up breath and held her tightly, " Hang on, Sweetheart.  This ride gets bumpier.     Lot of turbulence ahead on this flight."

Heather tensed slightly, looked up at Jake and said, "Alright, I'm ready."

"Jacob and I headed to California.    My boss wasn't happy about it but he went with it.    He put us in an apartment and supplied me with a babysitter when I had to be out of the country.    I called my mom a few times a year but never told her where I was, what I was doing or that she was a grandmother.   She figured out that I was working for the government.   Blew my mind.    When Jake was 4, I couldn't stand it anymore.   I was away so much I was missing everything.       I told my boss I was going to have to opt out.    He refused.    He placed me in a job that would let me continue working undercover but would keep me in country more.   I went to work for Ravenwood."

Heather startled slightly and looked questioningly up at Jake.

"Yes, the same Ravenwood that was here a few weeks ago.    Different group than I was in but the same operation.     It worked well.    I mostly worked around San Diego and in southern California.    There were fewer trips out of the country.   I was home most nights in time for dinner.    I  provided high security for people and places of interest.    I flew a lot of planes with high ranking passengers the government isn't supposed to have contact with.  The Company provided me with a wonderful Nanny and a great house so I would stay with them.    I was very good at my job.    Alright, Babe, here is where the ride gets bumpy.   Are you ready?   Have you heard enough to make you run?"

Heather pulled away a looked up at him, "Jake, I am not going to run away.    You don't have to tell me anymore if you don't want to but I'm not scared of what you are saying.    I had imagined much worse, believe me."

"Alright, here we go.    Four or so years ago I did a job in Paris.    While I was there I met someone.     She was a lawyer who worked at the US Embassy in Paris.    Her name was Sara.    It was kinda like with you.   An instant click.    We spent a very nice week together before I had to leave.   I told her if she was ever in San Diego to call and I would show her around.     About a month after that, I was mowing the front lawn when Jacob came running out to tell me there was lady on the phone for me.   It was Sara. She was being relocated to the naval command in San Diego.  Sara moved in with Jacob and I a few months after she transferred to San Diego.    We never got married.  Sara didn't want to.  She wasn't the motherly type and didn't want to become an instant mom.   She was always sweet and loving to him but you could never mistake her for his mother.   Whenever I was away on a job she stayed at her own apartment.   She didn't want the responsibility of a child.   This past summer, I decided I wanted out of my contract.    I didn't like having to be gone so much.    I'm not the person I was when I went into that job.   It was going to cost lots of money to get out of my contract.    That's why I came back to Jericho---to get my trust fund so I could start living a normal life.   Sara and I had grown apart.   It  wasn't ugly...just distant.    There were 2 people in our bed but there was no couple.    Our relationship had been over for a long time but neither of us were willing to just walk away.  She was offered a transfer to Quantico and she took it.   The plan was to meet back in San Diego for one last weekend.    I put her on a shuttle bus to the airport the day before Jake and I left for Jericho.   Sara was in Washington DC apartment hunting when the bombs went off, Heather.   She's dead."

Heather sat up and pushed herself away from Jake, "You said that you didn't have a girlfriend, Jake.   That you didn't have time for a relationship."

Jake looked at Heather, "I know.    I don't have an excuse for telling you that other than it was and is painful to talk about Sara.    I was right about not having time for a relationship.   My having to be gone so much killed the relationship.   There's more when or if you want to hear it.   Or I can leave and go upstairs.    I don't want to hurt you, Heather."

"No, Jake.   If there is more I want to hear it," Heather said, hardening herself for what she was sure was going to be a major revelation.

Jake looked at Heather with raw pain on his face, "I don't know any way except to just say it.   Sara's last name was Lisinski.    I didn't put it together until the other night that she was probably your sister, Heather.   I didn't know."

Heather gasped and turned white.    The room started to whirl around.   "No, this isn't possible,"  Heather thought.  "Not possible."    

Heather fainted.

******************************************************************************************

Jake's Story, Part 2

Heather woke up to Jake patting her cheeks and rubbing her hands.

"Heather," Jake said, "Baby, wake up.  Come on.   Wake up.   We'll get thru this if you are willing.   I don't want to lose you.   Baby, you have to wake up."

Heather's eyes fluttered open.   She slowly sat up and the sobs started.   Her whole body heaved with them.   Jake held her.   Held her and stroked her head.  He talked low and calm like he would to Jacob when he was hurt.   He slowly rocked her while she cried.    Slowly Heather got herself under control.

"You aren't 100% sure are you?   It might not be my sister, right?", Heather said in a low voice.

"No, I am not positive," Jake said.   "Wait here, I'll be right back."

Heather could hear Jake go upstairs.   In a few minutes he came back in the bedroom carrying a laptop case.   He took out a laptop and a digital camera and started rummaging around in the case.

"This case has always gone everywhere with me.  It's where I keep important papers and stuff," Jake said, pulling a battered leather mini photo album out. "It's mostly pictures of Jacob but there is also one of my mom and two of Sara."  

Heather took the album and opened it.    There were pictures of Jacob from when he was blonde smiling baby to what looked like this past summer on the beach.   There was a picture of Gail that looked like it might have been taken before Jake left town.   Heather hesitated before turning the last page.   Her hands started shaking and she held her breath.   She started to turn the page and let it fall back.

"Jake, I can't do it.   I can't make myself turn the page.   We weren't close.   I mean we hadn't spoken in years.    I thought I had come to grips with the fact that she was more than likely dead," Heather said, looking at Jake with tears in her eyes, "It's more the thought of you and her.   She always got everything that was mine.   Everything.   It's not fair that she got you too."   Heather started to softly cry.

Jake took her in his arms, "She didn't have me.   I told you, it was over.   It had been over.    We were more habit than relationship.   We didn't hate each other.   We didn't really feel anything.   We were roommates who didn't want anything to happen to the other one.    The weekend we decided to officially call it quits was huge relief.   To both of us.    I couldn't tell her I loved her and she couldn't tell me she loved me.   We were friends and that was all.      If you knew she was dead and had come to grips with it then it shouldn't matter if you turn the page.     It will be a picture and that's all.   Right?", Jake said.

Heather took a deep breath and turned the page.    It was Sara.   There were two pictures.   There was one of Sara sitting on steps.   "It's probably the deck at Jake's house," Heather thought.   The other one was of Jake, Sara and Jacob sitting on the beach laughing at something in front of them.    Jake was right though.   Sara wasn't beside Jacob.   She wasn't touching him.   She was on the other side of Jake.    She didn't want to be a mother....yes, that was Sara.   No doubt whatsoever.    Jake was right.   It was just a picture.

"Ok, Jake, where do we go from here?", Heather asked.   "We have a start.   What do we do now?"

Jake took her in his arms and gave her a slow, soft kiss.   He breathed in the scent of her sweet smelling hair.    He laid down on the bed and pulled her down beside him.   She rested her head on his chest.    His heart was beating fast.    They enjoyed the love and security of the embrace and they went to sleep while the blizzard raged outside.

************************************************************

Thanks for reading my stories. I love to know if you like my story so feedback is very much appreciated and welcome! Thanks again for reading!!

Chapter 11: Jake and Heather by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

I want to give credit to my friend, Cindy, for proofing this chapter.   I have recently gotten her addicted to Jericho and she is a big time Jake/Heather shipper!    


***********************************************************




The next morning it was very cold and it was still snowing.   It was the kind of day to sit in a warm house bundled up under a blanket watching a good movie and eating chili or stew.    Unfortunately, Jericho, Kansas had no electricity.   There had been no movies since September.   The only warmth came under lots of blankets or huddled around a fireplace in warm clothes.
 
Heather woke up slowly.   It was so warm under the covers.    She didn't want to move from the flannel sheets.    Jake was spooned up against her back.   His head was propped up on his arm.    He was watching her sleep.   His arm slid around her in a hug.
 
"Good morning," he said, kissing the back of her neck, "I guess I should have asked before I got under the covers but it was cold and I only have on shorts and a tshirt and I didn't want to wake you up."   He smiled at her with his patented Jake sideways smile, trying to look innocent but failed completely, "I was going to get up and go upstairs but you were laying on my arm." He slowly ran his hand down her pajama clad leg threw his leg over hers and pulled her to him.  
 
Heather turned over on her back and smiled up at him and laughed, "You are a pathetic liar."
 
"I'm crushed," Jake said trying to look wounded but started quietly laughing instead.
 
"Babe, how are you this morning?   How are you feeling?", Jake asked, unease creeping into his voice.
 
"Jake, I really think everything is going to be alright.    It was a shock is all.   The fact that you had been living with my sister for the last few years is something that I never expected.    It caught me totally off guard.    Sara and I weren't close.     She might as well have died when she left Jericho for Harvard.     She never came back.....not even when Dad died.   She called but didn't come.    I might have talked to her three times in the past five years."   She reached up and stroked his stubbly cheek, "I'm OK.   Don't worry about me," she said smiling up at him.    "You're all stubbly, I like that."
 
"Is that right?  In that case," Jake said getting an evil glint in his eye, jerking the covers over their heads and began to tickle her and rub his stubbly cheek against hers.
 
"Uncle, Uncle," Heather gasped, laughing.
 
Jake laid back in the bed, laughing, "I told you that you wouldn't know when it was coming."
 
Heather looked over at Jake and raised up on one arm, her hair falling across his face and shoulder, "You have never messed with a Lisinski before.....".   They both stopped, embarrassed, and Heather continued quickly, trying to cover it, "well, I guess you have, BUT you have never messed with HEATHER Lisinski.   This isn't over, BuddyBoy," she said, jokingly.
 
"Oh, I'm counting on that," Jake said, leering at her.    She smacked his chest.
 
The smell of coffee started filling the house.    They heard Johnston, Gail and April talking in the kitchen.     Jacob pounded down the stairs.
 
Jake looked at Heather and smiled a soft smile, "He never walks.   Everywhere is at a pounding run."
They could overhear Jacob's excited voice in the kitchen.    Jake smiled listening to his son's excitement.
 
("Grandpa, Grandpa, have you seen the snow!?   Wow!")
 
"Um, Jake, how are we going to get out of the bedroom without everyone seeing you were in here all night," Heather asked.
 
"Don't worry about it.    Go ahead and get dressed and go to the kitchen.    I'll be there in a few minutes," Jake said, getting up and stretching.    He walked around the bed and gave Heather a deep, slow, soft kiss, "See you in a few minutes."   He quietly slipped out of the room and up the stairs.
 
***************************************************
 
Heather walked into the kitchen 5 minutes later.     She sat down beside April.    Jacob was standing at the back door looking out at the snow and eating a peanut butter sandwich.    
 
"Good morning, Honey," Gail said, smiling at Heather.    "Did you sleep good?"
 
"Very good, thank you," Heather said, getting a cup of coffee.
 
"Jacob," Johnston said, "go upstairs and wake up your father.   We need to decide what we're going to do about getting out to the ranch."
 
"He isn't up there," Jacob said without turning around, "he never came to bed last night.   It was just me and Dreyfuss."
 
"He wasn't there?   Where was he?", Johnston said
 
"Don't know," Jacob said absently, now at the counter spreading a hefty spoonful of peanut butter on a slice of bread.
 
Jake walked into the kitchen.    He grabbed a cup and poured a cup of coffee.   He noticed all conversation had stopped.   He turned around and looked at the table.   Everyone but Heather was looking at him.
 
"What?", Jake said.
 
Johnston picked up his coffee cup and looked over it and said thru the steam, "Where did you sleep last night, Son?   Jacob said you never came to bed."   Heather blushed brightly at this.   She never looked up from her cup.    Johnston was the only one to notice this.
 
"Good Lord, is that all?  I thought something was wrong.    I slept on the couch," Jake said, quickly glancing at Heather, "Jacob's feet are lethal weapons and I might want to have more kids someday."    Everyone laughed and conversation resumed around the little table.
 
"Jake, we have to figure out some way to get out to the ranch and check on the animals," Johnston said.
 
"Looking at the way the snow is still coming down, I don't think we will going anywhere today.   I was out there yesterday and left a lot of food out.   They are watered automatically so we don't have to worry bout that.    The snow will stop before too long and we can figure out what to do then.     How are we going to keep ourselves occupied here all day with no TV, snowed in, is the important question of the day."   He softly smiled at Heather thru the steam of his coffee.    Johnston caught the look.
 
Jacob's head popped up, "We could go skiing.   Like when we went up to the house in Tahoe."
 
"Uh, no, we can't," Jake said, " first, it's coming a blizzard and second, and more important, there aren't any mountains around here.   It's too flat.   There's nowhere to ski.   We always went to Colorado for that."
 
Heather finished her coffee and peanut butter sandwich and stood up, "I think I am going to finish unpacking my room unless you need me to do something, Mrs. Green."
 
"No, honey, you go ahead and get settled.   I am going to put some soup over the fire and it should be ready by mid-afternoon.   We'll just snack til then.   How does that sound?"
 
Everyone left the kitchen to try to keep themselves busy on the cold and dreary Saturday.
 
********************************************************************
 
The day passed very slowly.
 
Jake was sitting on the couch pretending to read a book.    He was trying to come up with some way to make this night special for Heather.    It had been years since he thought about things like this.   There had been no flowers in Jericho in months.    Maybe he could come up with a bottle of wine.   He felt eyes on him and looked up.   Heather was looking at him over the top of her New York Times crossword puzzle book.  She smiled at him and ducked back behind her book.   He smiled to himself and thought, "Yes, everything has to be perfect."   Johnston had caught the whole interaction.   He looked from one to the other with a raised eyebrow and slightly shook his head.
 
Jacob had found a box of old comics in the attic and was lost in the world of vampires.   He was curled up in front of the fireplace.   He was subconsciously pulling the neck of his shirt up.   Johnston watched him pull his shirt tight around his neck and eyes get bigger and bigger.
 
"Jacob," Johnston said.
 
The boy jumped and squeaked out "What?!"
 
"You alright, Boy?   You're pulling on your shirt like something's gonna bite you."
 
Jacob looked at his grandfather sheepishly and blushed, "I'm fine.   It's a scary comic is all."
 
Gail smiled at her grandson, "Too bad you don't have a silver bullet to take to bed with you."
 
"No, that's not right, Gran.   Silver bullets are for werewolves.   You gotta have a wood stake and holy water for a vampire.   A cross and garlic will repel them if you don't have stake.   Um, a key will repel a ghost.   Oh, and for a zombie you gotta cut their head off and bury it face down.   That's how you fight creatures of the dead.   Not a silver bullet," Jacob patiently explained, like he was teaching a class.
 
Gail stopped working her jigsaw puzzle and looked at him with utter surprise on her face, "How in the world do you know all that?   Where did you learn something like that?"
 
"I'd be interested in knowing that myself," Jake said.
 
Jacob looked around and noticed everyone had stopped what they were doing was watching him.
 
"Oops," Jacob said, biting his bottom lip.    Johnston was taken aback again at how much alike his son and grandson were.   That was something Jake had been doing since he was a little boy.
 
"Yeah, I think "oops" is a good word.   Why don't you fill me in?", Jake said, sitting up and giving Jacob his full attention.
 
"Mike and Joey and me ripped a bunch of DVD's to my iPod and I watched them in bed at night.   We tried watching them at school but Sister got mad when she found Freddie going during Chapel.   Didn't try that anymore.   Nana was so mad.   I almost didn't get my iPod back."

"How did 3 of you listen to a movie on 1 iPod?", Jake asked.

"Splitter on the headphones," Jacob answered like it was the most natural thing in the world to know.

"I never heard about the iPod at school incident.   Probably a good thing.  The movies explain why you had the light on in your room all the time." Jake said.     Jake tried to look stern but couldn't, "You are something else.   I'm not sure what but something else.    If the bombs hadn't happened, you three would have ruled the world by the time you were 18," Jake laughed.    The tension broke, everyone went back to what they were doing.
 
Jacob became totally immersed in the horror comic again.   Every time a branch scrapped against the house he jumped and cut his eyes over to the window and huddled deeper in his blanket until it was pulled over his head.    
 
The mantle clock rung nine o'clock.    
 
"Jacob, are you in there?," Jake asked, looking at the blanket lump.  There was no answer.   Jake pulled the cover back and found Jacob sound asleep.     He shook him awake enough to walk him upstairs and put him to bed.    When he got back downstairs, everyone was getting ready to go to bed.    Gail kissed him on the cheek and she and Johnston went up the stairs.    Heather smiled at him and headed for her bedroom.
 
"Good night, Jake.   I'll see you in the morning," she said, smiling at him.    She went into her bedroom and quietly but firmly shut the door.
 
He was left standing in the middle of an empty living room wondering "What happened? What did I do wrong?"    He knew it had been a long time since he had been near a woman in that way but he didn't think his radar was completely cracked.   There had been something there.  What could have happened.    He decided a cold shower and bed was in order.     He grabbed some clean clothes out of his bedroom and headed for the only shower in the house that worked.   The one in the downstairs bathroom.    He lit a candle and turned on the water.    He undressed and stepped in almost screamed the water was so cold.    He thought that should turn off anything that was still warm in his body.
 
Heather was lighting some candles and pulling the bed clothes back when she heard a sound she hadn't heard in months....a shower.   "What in the world", she wondered.    She put her robe on and went out into the living room.   The shower in the downstairs bathroom was running.    She walked to the door and very lightly knocked.
 
"Hello," she whispered, "is anyone in there?"
 
"Yeah, someone is in here," Jake said.
 
Heather opened the door and stepped in, "What in the world are you doing?  You're gonna freeze.   That water's got to be absolutely icy."
 
"It is," Jake said, "I needed to uh....cool down a bit."   The water turned off.   "Could you please hand me the towel?"
 
Heather grabbed the towel and handed it around the back of the shower curtain.    He stepped out of the shower with the towel around his waist and grabbed his clothes.
 
"I'll leave so you can get in here," he said.
 
"No, I'm fine.   I'm not getting in there.   It's too cold.   I just wanted to make sure we hadn't sprung a leak."   They stepped out into the cool hallway.   Jake was shivering.   "My room is toasty come in here and warm up before you get pneumonia."
 
They went into the bedroom.   Jake was struck by how warm it was.   This was nice.   He hadn't been this warm in days.    Then he noticed the room.   There were candles lit on the bedside tables and the bed clothes were pulled down.    Jake looked at Heather and smiled a soft smile and pulled her into his arms.
 
"Jake, there's something I need to tell you."
 
"What?," Jake asked with a muffled voice, as he nibbled her ear.
 
"I haven't ever..........I mean I'm a..........I haven't....," Heather stammered and pulled away.
 
"You're a virgin?," Jake asked, shocked.   "How could someone as pretty and sweet as you still be a virgin?  Oh, Babe, I'm sorry if I pushed.   I didn't know.   I don't want you to feel any kind of pressure."
 
"No, Jake, I want to.   I have never wanted to more.   I just wanted you to know," Heather said, "oh, forget it, I am so embarrassed.   I shouldn't have said anything.    Everything is ruined."   Heather sat down on the side of the bed.
 
"No, no.   Nothing is ruined.   Really.   We'll take this slow and very very easy.   We won't do anything until you are 100% sure," Jake said, sitting down beside her and rubbing her back.
 
She looked at him, "I've never been more sure, Jake."  
 
He laid back and pulled Heather down beside him.    He kissed her neck and slowly unbuttoned the bottom three buttons of her pajama shirt.    His hand slowly trailed across her stomach.   He could feel the muscles dancing under his fingertips.   Their kisses slowly deepened to pure passion.   The first time Jake's tongue touched hers was electric.   Slowly, he moved up so his hand was cupping her breast.   Heather gasped.
 
There was a knock at the door.
 
"Miss Heather?"
 
Jake's head dropped down on Heather's shoulder and he let out a deep sigh.
 
"Just a minute, Sweetheart," she said in a gasping voice.
   
"Do you know where my dad is?   I'm scared.   I can't find him anywhere," Jacob said.
 
"I'm here, Buddy.   Just a minute," Jake said, pounding his head on the mattress.  
 
"Why did I let him read that book.   Damn it to Hell," Jake said under his breath.
 
Jake got up and pulled on his sweatpants and tshirt.   Heather slipped her robe on over her pajamas.   Jake opened the door to find a shivering little boy.
 
He looked over at Heather, "I'll be back in few minutes."  
 
He put his hand on Jacob's shoulder, led him up the stairs and settled him back in bed.
 
"What's the problem?," Jake asked, looking down at Jacob.
 
"Listen," Jacob said looking towards the windows and pulling the covers up high, "there's something scratching the window.   I think its a vampire trying to get in."
 
Jake closed his eyes, shook his head and said in a no nonsense voice, "No, it's not.   It's the tree outside the window.   The wind is blowing the branches against the house.   We've talked about this.   There are no such things as ghosts, vampires or zombies.   It is all made up stories.   Do you understand?"
 
"Yes, Sir," Jacob said in a doubtful voice.
 
"Good.   Tomorrow we're getting rid of those comic books.   Now go back to sleep."
 
"Dad?"
 
"What?"
 
"Why were you in Heather's room at night?," Jacob asked, picking at the comforter and avoiding his father's eyes.
 
Jake took the boy's chin and turned his face towards him until their eyes met, "We were talking about adult business."
 
Jacob looked at Jake for a minute before speaking, "Oh.....that.   I'm tired, Dad.  Good night," and turned his back to his father and pulled cover and pillow over his head.
 
Jake sat on the side of the bed for a minute shaking his head.   He walked slowly back downstairs.   He hesitated outside Heather's bedroom before raising his hand and quietly knocking.   He turned the knob and walked in.   Heather was sitting up in bed reading a romance novel.
 
"Is everything OK?   Did he go back to sleep?", Heather asked.
 
"Yeah, everything is fine.   He is sleeping now," Jake said, sitting down on the bed beside Heather.   He put his hand on her knee and looked at her, "We need to talk about what you told me before."
 
Heather blushed and looked away.   Jake put his finger under her chin and slowly turned her face until she was looking at him.   There were tears of embarrassment in her eyes.
 
"No, don't do that," he said quietly, "it's OK.   We won't do anything that you're not ready for.   I'm not a rapist."
 
"I've never been lucky with sex, Jake.   It just never works out.   I don't want to disappoint you," Heather whispered.
 
He put his hands on either side of her face, leaned in and softly kissed her.
 
"You could never, ever disappoint me.   Your luck is about to change," he said, blowing out the candles and pulling Heather down beside him on the bed.
 

************************************************************

Thanks for reading my stories. I love to know if you like my story so feedback is very much appreciated and welcome! Thanks again for reading!!

Chapter 12: Valentine's Day by SherryG

I know it's a little late but I couldn't resist a Valentine's story.    I hope you  like it!!


DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

The song at the end is by Perfect Stranger.   I did not write it.   I did not play the music for it.  I am not in any way affiliated with the band.   I just really really like the song and thought it fit the story well.

                                       
**********

Valentine's Day morning was beautiful.    Jake and Heather woke up with a beam of sunlight hitting them in the face.    The reflection of the sun off the snow made the room dazzlingly bright.    
 
Jake rolled onto his back and pulled the cord on the blinds.   He got up and put a couple more logs on the fire and then got back in bed.   It looked like he was going to doze back off.   Heather looked over at him, "He looks like a little boy when he is sleeping,"  Heather thought.    She reached over and stroked his stubbly cheek.   He smiled a soft, happy smile.
 
"Mornin'," he murmured.
 
Heather snuggled up to Jake and laid her head on his chest.   She could hear the slow, steady beat of his heart.   Jake put his arm around her and hugged her to him.   He started running his fingers thru her hair.
 
"You sound tired," Heather said, smiling.
 
Jake laughed quietly, "Well, I usually get more than 20 minutes sleep a night."   He kissed her on the top of her head.   "And you thought I would be disappointed?   You're about as perfect as it is possible to be."
 
Heather sighed a happy sound, "I like starting off the day in your arms.   It's a good feeling," she said seeming to melt into his side.
 
"Good, I plan on having you in my arms every morning for the next 70 or so years," Jake said, hugging her tightly.     He felt Heather smile against his chest.
 
Jake put his arm across his eyes to block the light and yawned again, "I'm ready for a nap.   I think I'll sleep the rest of the day."
 
Heather raised up and pulled the sheet around her.  Jake moved his arm enough to open one eye.
 
"What?", he said.
 
"How are we going to tell your parents and Jacob?"
 
Jake sat up in bed and propped himself against the headboard, "Heather, we're grown ups.   We don't have to explain anything to my parents.   Jacob knows.    He doesn't understand the why but he knows what was happening.    There is nothing to explain to anyone," he smiled at Heather, trying to break the tension, "The only question I have is am I going to get my t-shirt back?"
 
Heather looked down at the long sleeved white t-shirt she was wearing and laughed, "There is absolutely no chance of that," she said, pulling it tightly around her.
 
Jake laughed, "Oh, I'll get it back."
 
Heather pushed the blankets back and got up.    The t-shirt fell to the middle of her thighs.    She pulled on a pair of sweatpants and put her robe on.    She picked up the old-fashioned wind up alarm clock that had somehow gotten buried under Jake's towel from the night before.
 
"Oh no, Jake, it's 11 o'clock.    What are your parents going to think?," Heather said looked worried.
 
Jake stood up and stretched.    He walked up behind Heather, put his arms around her and kissed her cheek, "Don't worry about it.   It's OK.   I promise."    He looked down at his bare chest and then around the room.   "What am I supposed to put on?
 
Heather looked around and picked up a jacket from the chair beside the bed.   She smiled and handed it to Jake "Here ya go."
 
Jake looked down at the soft pink hoodie Heather had handed him.  "Ya know, pink just washes me out.   Maybe you have something in melon?   It brings out the flecks of green in my eyes", he said laughing.   He threw the jacket back into the chair and hugged her tightly from behind.   "Ummm.... you make me feel good."    
 
He took Heather by the hand and led her towards the door.  
 
He opened the door and stopped so suddenly that Heather ran into him.   Gail was sitting on the stairs right outside the door.
 
"Well, hello, my sleeping beauties," Gail said with an edge to her voice, "is there something you want to tell me?"
 
Jake looked at his mother, "Um...no I don't think so.   I think you might have it all figured out."   Heather blushed a deep red.
 
"Well, I didn't," Gail said, "until your 8 year old son informed everyone this morning."
 
"He did what?", Jake asked, "Who exactly is "everyone"?"
 
"Well, lets see, who was here this morning.   Me, Johnston, April and Eric.     Johnston asked him to go upstairs and get you and he informed us you weren't upstairs.   You were doing that "thing" in Heather's room.   You need to explain a few things to him and to me.    How exactly is it that an eight year knows about that anyway?"
 
"And where would Jacob be now?", Jake asked, walking over and grabbing his zip up jacket from the hook by the door.   "That "thing".   I can honestly say I haven't ever head it called that.   Mom, good Lord, there isn't a child his age that hasn't caught their parents at the most inconvenient time.   And no...he didn't catch us last night before you ask.    Jacob also had friends with older brothers who weren't the most discreet people in the world and then there is always cable television.   The world hasn't been innocent in a long time."
 
"Jacob is outside with your father.   You need to talk to your son.   He is embarrassed."
 
"Why do you think he is embarrassed?"
 
"Well, it was pretty obvious Jake.    When he said "the thing", I looked at him and said "the thing".  It hadn't hit me yet what he was talking about.   He looked at me and turned bright red.   He said, "Yes, the "thing".  Please don't make me explain it.   It's really disgusting.   Why would anyone want to do that?"   I think that's embarrassed, Jake.   He looked mortified."
 
"How do you explain sex to an eight year old?", Jake thought.   "I think we just leave it alone.    I'll answer questions if he asks them."    Jake said as he grabbed his jacket, slipped on his shoes and went outside.
 
Heather turned redder.   Gail looked at her and patted the step beside her, "Sit down, Heather.    Are you sure you know what you're doing?   Getting involved with Jake could be a roller coaster ride.   I love my son and I don't want to talk bad about him but there are lots of things you probably don't know.   Are you sure you are ready it?   How do you feel about Jacob?   It's a package deal."
 
"Mrs. Green, I have never been more sure.   I love your son.   I don't care about his past.   It is totally unimportant to me.   I want to get to know Jacob better.   I want to be his friend and more if he will let me," Heather said, looking Gail in the eye.
 
Gail smiled at her and hugged her, "In that case, welcome to the family.   One thing, please don't call me Mrs. Green.   That was my mother-in-law (making a face as she said it).   My name is Gail or Mom.   Which ever you feel comfortable with.    The same goes for Johnston.   Call him Johnston or Dad.    We're glad you joined us."
 
                                       
**********
 

Johnston, Jake, Eric and Jacob came in stomping snow off their feet.      Heather noticed that the side of Eric and Jake's heads was plastered in snow.
 
"What happened to you?" Heather and Gail asked at almost the same time.
 
"I don't think I've ever told you about Jake's throwing arm have I?", Jake asked, brushing snow out of his hair,  "He has almost perfect aim.    It seems as if he and Dad spent the morning making a snow fort with lots of ammunition.   I tried to warn Eric before he walked up the driveway but he wouldn't listen to me."
 
Gail got up laughing, "I'm going to finish lunch while you guys get dried off.    I went digging in the pantry and found a few things I had forgotten about so we have a treat for lunch."
 
"Let me get dressed and I'll help you," Heather said.
 
Jake looked at Jacob and motioned towards the stairs, "Come with me.   We need to have a talk."
 
                                       
**********  
 

Jake closed the bedroom door and motioned Jacob to sit on the bed.
 
"Ok, I understand there was a discussion at the breakfast table this morning.    Gran thinks we need to have a talk about it.     Do you have any questions about sex, Jacob?"
 
Jacob's eyes got big and he turned bright red and vigorously shook his head, "I don't want to talk about it, Dad."
 
"You don't have to but if you ever do......"
 
                                       
**********
 

After Jacob left the bedroom, Jake got dressed and started digging in the closet.   He pulled out 2 wrapped boxes.   He had done some work for Mr. Clark, the owner of the toy store,  so  he could get two Star Wars Lego models.   Jacob had been wanting the Imperial Cruiser and X-Wing Fighter before the bombs.    Jake was happy he had been able to get them for him.     He pulled out his travel bag.   This bag had gone all over the world with him.    He dug around in it and finally found what he was looking for.    He had had to go to Saudi for 2 weeks during the summer and while he was there he had gone shopping for prizes for Jacob, Mikey and Joe Jr.    He had been walking thru a market and for some reason he had bought a delicate gold necklace with a blush pink diamond heart pendant on it.    He didn't know what had possessed him to buy it and he had kept it tucked in his bag for months.    He thought it would be perfect for Heather.   He would give it to her this evening.  The last thing he pulled out was a silver double picture frame he had bought on that same trip.   He pulled his laptop case out of the closet and got out his picture album.   He chose a baby picture of Jacob and a picture made this past summer of him and Jacob on the beach together and put them in the frames.   He thought his mother would like that.      
 
He stepped out in the hallway and yelled down the stairs, "Hey, Jake, come here a minute."
 
Jacob came bounding up the stairs.
 
"Do you know what today is?", Jake asked.
 
"No.  What?"
 
"It's Valentine's Day", Jake said smiling.   He handed Jacob the box with the picture frame in it.  "Give this to your Gran and tell her "Happy Valentine's Day".   It will make her very happy."
 
Jacob smiled and ran down the stairs yelling, "Hey, Gran, where are you."   Jake followed him downstairs carrying the gifts that Jacob had completely missed.
 
Jacob was standing in front of Johnston and Gail in the living room with the box hidden behind his back.   He pulled the box out and handed it to Gail.  "Happy Valentine's Day!"
 
Tears came to Gail's eyes, "What's this?"
 
"It's your present.   Open it, open it," Jacob said excitedly.
 
Gail slowly opened the box and tears started flowing down her cheeks, "Thank you, Sweetheart," she said hugging her grandson, "I love it."
 
Jake walked into the living room and looked at Jacob, "Ok, that's not the only present.    Close your eyes.   I don't have any candy but Happy Valentine's Day, Bud."
 
Jacob opened his eyes and grinned from ear to ear.    Jake was holding 2 wrapped packages.    Jake had counted on his mom to still have her stash of wrapping paper and gift bags and she did.     Jacob immediately ripped into them.      
 
"Wow, Dad, thanks!" Jacob said, giving his father a rare hug.   He took the boxes over to his spot in front of the fireplace and started examining the contents.
 
He caught Heather's gaze and he smiled at her.    
 
Jake walked over to Eric and quietly asked, "Is Mary having her usual Valentine's party?"
 
"Yeah, she has been saving her generator rations for a week.   I think it'll be a good time tonight."
 
"We'll be there," Jake said, looking over at Heather and smiling.
 
                                       
**********
 

After lunch Heather and Jake volunteered to clean up the kitchen.    Johnston and Gail went upstairs to take a nap.    Jacob was upstairs in his bedroom starting on one of his models.
 
"So," Jake said, drying a dish,"what did my mother say after I went outside this morning?"
 
"Not much," Heather said, handing Jake another dish, "she welcomed me to the family and told me to call her either Gail or Mom.   She said I am supposed to do the same with your dad"
 
Jake could sense a small bit of nervous tension in Heather.   He smiled and looked over at her, "Well, if it were me, I wouldn't call him Gail or Mom.    Try Johnston or Dad.   He'll probably go more for that."
 
Heather looked over at him and saw the joking smile on his face and relaxed and smiled back.
 
"I was wondering if you wanted to go over to Bailey's with me tonight?", Jake asked nervously, "Eric says Mary is planning her usual Valentine's blowout.   There will probably be a lot of people there.   If you don't want to its OK, we can hang out here but I thought it might be fun."
 
Heather smiled shyly at Jake, "I would love to.   Do you think your parents will babysit?"
 
"I'm pretty sure they will," Jake said.
 
                                       
**********
 

Jake and Heather walked into Bailey's holding hands.      Stanley and Mimi were over in the large corner booth.  Stanley stood up and motioned them over.    Emily had watched Jake and Heather come in.   She saw them holding hands.   The taste of sour jealousy quickly flooded her mouth.     By all rights it should be her holding Jake's hand and sitting beside him and laughing and touching him on the arm and leg.     She could take many things but seeing Jake looking so happy and content with another woman wasn't one of them....even if it was Heather.   Maybe it was worse because it was Heather.    Emily gulped her drink and motioned for another.    It had been a mistake for her and Roger to come here tonight.    
 
                                       
**********
 

The atmosphere up in the corner booth was friendly and happy.
 
"Come on, Stanley, dance with me," Mimi said, trying to convince him to dance.
 
"I don't dance when I am still this sober and the music is that fast.   Wait til a slow one," Stanley said laughing.
 
"You are such a nudge," Mimi said.
 
"Mimi, when your feet are as big as Stanley's it is dangerous to do anything but sway," Jake said, laughing and ducking as Stanley threw a piece of popcorn at him.
 
Jake, Heather and Mimi had danced to several songs while Stanley watched.    Finally, after about an hour someone played "My Heart Will Go On".      Stanley held his hand out to Mimi and they went to the dance floor.
 
Heather looked over at Jake, "I am going to go to the restroom.   I'll be back in a minute."
 
She got up and slowly made her way to the back of the bar.   Jake felt this would the perfect time to give Heather her Valentine's gift.   When he thought no one was looking to slowly walked towards the bathroom.     He knew that Heather was the only one in there.   He has been watching the door.    He jimmied the lock on the door and let himself in.
 
(Emily watched the whole thing from her perch at the bar.   Her eyes were starting to burn green with jealousy.   It wasn't fair.   They hadn't heard the end of this.)
 
"It's occupied," Heather called from the stall, thinking she hadn't locked the door.
 
"Yeah, I know," Jake said.
 
"Jake, is that you?"
 
"It's me."
 
Heather came out of the stall.   "Is everything alright?"
 
"Everything is perfect as far as I can tell," Jake said, "there is just one thing.   You haven't gotten your Valentine's gift yet."
 
Heather looked doubtfully around the small dark bathroom, "In the bathroom, Jake?"
 
Jake laughed out loud and smiled his patented Jake Green smirk, "Your mind is in the gutter little girl.  That's not what I meant.   It does have potential though", he said walking over to the sink counter and pretending to test the strength of it.   He turned around, smiled at her and pulled her over to him.   He kissed her on the forehead.   "Turn around and close your eyes," he said.
 
Heather turned around and closed her eyes, wondering what was going on.   Jake put the necklace on her and kissed her neck.  "Ok, open your eyes."
 
"Oh, Jake," Heather looked down at the necklace and tears came to her eyes,  "It's beautiful."
 
"Happy Valentines Day, Heather," he said turning her around.
 
He took her in his arms and gave her a soft,slow kiss.   Her hands went to his neck and into his hair as she leaned into him and returned his kiss.   Jake's hands slowly moved down to the small of her back.   He pulled her closer and his hands slowly moved down to cup her butt.     She started giggling.    
 
Jake pulled away and smiled in confusion.
 
She pulled his face down to hers and hugged him and pulled away with her hands over her face and laughed again.
 
"What's so funny," Jake said, confused.
 
"I'm sorry.   It's not funny.   It's just that....I mean it's us, it's me and it's you.   It's us.   We've crossed a line.   It's a thing now."
 
Jake leaned in and kissed her again.   "Yeah, it's a thing.   It's a big thing."
 
They left the bathroom.    The song that was playing was perfect for slow dancing.    Jake pulled Heather to the dance floor and took her in his arms.   They barely moved to the music, their mouths didn't say a word, but their eyes were locked and they were speaking volumes.
 
     Tonight we crossed the borderline into a world thats new
     And we dont know what we might find waiting for me and you
     Your wanting me to lead the way as you hold on to my hand
     Well this is all so new to me but Ill do the best I can

     Im glad its you thats here with me in this strange new place
     And you feel the same way too I see it all in your face
     Its hard for us to catch our breath as wonder fills our eyes
     The longer that were here the more this feels like paradise
                                                      -----Perfect Stranger

*******************************************************

Thanks for reading my stories. I love to know if you like my story so feedback is very much appreciated and welcome! Thanks again for reading!!

SherryG

Chapter 13: A Lazy Sunday by SherryG

Here is my alternative universe of Jericho.    I know that Heather is gone for a while and that her and Jake aren't together.....yet.   In my alternative universe they are and it is still new love so there is a bit of mush.     The show is dealing with all the everyday violent struggle of survival.   I have chosen to write about the everyday world that has to some extent still be going on.    Welcome to my world!


DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

*************************************************************



A spring breeze blew in thru the open windows.    Heather stood in the kitchen preparing a chicken pie.   She could hear her children playing on the porch.   She looked into the living room and saw the baby sound asleep in the playpen.    The baby inside her was wide awake and kicking her bladder.   With Jacob, four kids under the age of five and one on the way, life was busy at the ranch, but it was good.   Jake came up behind her and put his arms around her and kissed her neck.   "Um...you smell good," he said.   She sighed contentedly........

Jake watched Heather smile and sigh in her sleep and wondered what she was dreaming.   It seemed to be a happy dream.    He spooned up behind her and kissed her shoulder.    He put his arm over her and pulled her tightly to him.

Heather smiled again and snuggled into him, "Shhh....you'll wake the baby.    I just got her down for her nap."

Jake pulled back startled and said, "Baby?"

Heather jumped and woke up, "What? Huh?", she said confused.

Jake smiled a confused smile, "You told me to be quiet or I was going to wake the baby.    What in the world were you talking about?"

Heather looked at Jake confused, "What are you talking about?   What baby?"

"You were asleep.   I put my arm around you and kissed your shoulder.   You said "Shhh...you'll wake the baby."    What in the world were you talking about?"

"Oh, I was dreaming," she said with a sleepy smile, "Sorry.   Didn't mean to scare you."

"You were dreaming we had a baby?", Jake asked, smiling.

"Lots of babies.   It seems we're very fertile.   There was Jacob of course and then 4 yr old Jonathan,  3 year old Joey, 2 year old Jack,  1 year old Abby and I was pregnant.    We lived out at the ranch.    It was a nice dream."

"Hmm.   Do you think we'll figure out what causes that?," Jake laughed, "That's a lot of kids.   We'll go nuts," he laughed.    He ran his fingers lightly over her stomach (which he had discovered she loved) and kissed her deeply, "If we're going to have bunches of babies we need to get started."

Heather looked over at the clock, "It's 9:30 on Sunday morning.    I don't think your parents or Jacob are going to let us skip church so we can make babies," she said laughing.

He bent down, kissed her neck, looked up at her and smiled, "It doesn't take long."

She laughed, "You are incorrigible."

There was a quiet knock.     Jake groaned and rolled over onto his back.   The bedroom door inched open.    Jacob peeked around the corner of the door.

"Good morning," Heather said, smiling.   She patted the bed between her and Jake, "Come on up.   We're awake."

Jacob ran over and jumped on the bed, "Grandpa says its time to start getting ready for church."

Heather looked over at Jake and smiled, "See, I told you."

Jake sighed and put his arm over his eyes, "How bout we all get under the covers and go to sleep?"

"Dad, everybody will be there, you can't go to sleep and miss church," Jacob said, looking at Jake and shaking his head.    He couldn't believe his dad would want to miss seeing everyone.

 "Jacob," Johnston said, from the other room, "where are you?    I need some help with this fire."  

Jacob raced out of the room.    Any opportunity to get to play with fire was always an occasion to run.

Heather pushed the covers back and poked Jake in the ribs, "Come on, get up.   We don't want to be late.   There is enough gossip about us in the old hen circle.   We don't want to give them more to cluck about."

Jake moved his arm enough to crack open one eye, "I was up.  Now I just want to sleep.   Go without me."

Heather smacked the top of his head, "You are bad," she said laughing.   She leaned down and whispered in his ear ,"We can take a nap later."

Jake, eyes still closed, smiled, "Um, that sounds nice."

He grabbed her and pulled her down on top of him, took her face in his hands and gave her a kiss that spoke volumes, "I like the idea of making lots of babies."

Heather smiled and pulled back, "Stalling won't work.... you still have to get up."   She walked over to the dresser and started getting dressed.

Jacob stuck his head in the door and yelled, "Come on, Dad!"

Jake groaned and sat up, "OK...I'm gettin' up."

*************************************************************

They decided to walk to church.   It was cold but not brutal and they needed to save gas as much as possible.   Church services had been cut back to once a month to conserve fuel.

Johnston, Gail and Jacob were about half a block in front of Jake and Heather.   Gail sensed they needed some privacy and was trying to quietly give it to them.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?", Jake asked Heather as they walked towards the church.   "You know those old hens.   Sometimes they can get nasty.   I don't want you getting your feelings hurt."

Heather took his hand, "Jake, I'm not ashamed of being with you.   You're a good man.   If the old guard of Jericho can't see that then to Hell with them.   Being with you and Jacob and your family is the happiest, most fulfilled feeling I've had in years.    I'm not nervous and you shouldn't be either.    We're going to walk in there with our heads held high."

(She wasn't about to tell Jake, because she knew it would upset him, but this was a pep talk for her as much as him.   She was as nervous as she head ever been.   She had grown up feeling judged by these women.)

(Jake knew she was nervous.   He could feel it coming off her in waves but he wasn't going to say anything.   He didn't want to make it worse.)

Jake quickly pecked her on the lips, "For luck."

They laced their fingers together and quickened their steps to catch up with Jake's parents and Jacob.

*************************************************************

People were standing around in front of the church catching up on the latest town news.    With the gas shortage, the people who lived outside of town only came in once a month for whatever supplies there were and for church.   Here and there Jake saw new faces in the crowd.    

A group of kids ran up and Jacob ran off with them.  

Jake leaned down and whispered to Heather, "I've been so busy I don't know who Jake's been playing with.   Who are those kids?"

Heather smiled, "Brody Prowse (Jake raised his eyebrows).   Yes, Emily's baby brother.   And then there's Chris Cafferty, Mitchell's son, Woody and Emily Newsome, Jimmy's kids.   Oh, and Lucas Anderson, Gray's grandson."

Jake saw Stanley, Mimi and Bonnie on the far side of the crowd.   He leaned down, "Are you sure you're ready to face the dragons?"

Heather took a deep breath, stood up straight and squared her shoulders, "Positive."  

Jake put his hand possessively on her lower back and started to lead her thru the crowd.   Several people stopped them and lots looked at them with quiet surprise.   Jake could hear lots of whispering behind them.   He smiled to himself and thought, "At least the old ladies have something to talk about now besides the bombs."   Heather was getting more and more tense as they walked.   He rubbed her back with his thumb and whispered under his breath, "Relax.   Don't let them get to you.  Relax."

In addition to the whispers about him and Heather,  he heard snatches of conversation that was very disturbing:
"Gray Anderson's secret police"
"Home investigations with middle of the night searches"
"Interrogation"
"Questioning kids without parents"
"New people searched and investigated"

They finally got over to Stanley and he grinned at them and said, "You two certainly know how to make an entrance."

"I thought after the party on Valentine's Day everyone would know," Heather said.

"Apparently not.   But they sure know now.   This is better than me and "that IRS woman"," Stanley laughed, "You were spotted "kissing and holding hands on Main Street" by at least three of the senior members of our fine congregation.   I would say you win the disapproval prize."   Jake and Heather laughed along with Stanley.

Jake put his hand to his mouth and pretended to gasp, "Oh, the horror," he said laughing.  "Wait, wait, I'm gonna really give them something to cluck about."

"You're not going to moon them again are you," Stanley asked, grinning.

Heather giggled behind her hand, "Now there's a mental image."

Jake grabbed her in a tight embrace and thoroughly kissed her in front of the whole congregation.

"There, that should do it," he said, smiling wickedly.

Heather smacked him on the chest, "You are such a juvenile delinquent."

Johnston walked up behind them, trying not to smile, "Alright, Children, if you're finished, why don't we go inside.   I believe Reverend Dabbs is about to ring the bell."

*************************************************************

After church they spent a lazy afternoon doing not much of anything.   Just trying to stay warm and get thru another day.

Jake couldn't get the snatches of conversation out of his head.    Gray Anderson and his secret investigations were worrying him.   So far he had been exempt from this.   But he wasn't counting on that lasting forever.  

Jake had told everyone that his reason for the trip had been so Jacob could meet his grandparents and he could get his inheritance and go back to San Diego.    That wasn't 100% true.    Jake had never planned on returning to San Diego.   Ever.   Ravenwood was looking for him.    Before he left he had been informed by the State Department that Ravenwood knew everything about him and his son.    He needed his money to hide.     Jake had always thought that something like this could happen.   He was prepared to leave the country in a moment's notice.   He had passports and identification for himself and Jacob for themselves and 3 different names.    He had to hide those papers.    


He had been wrestling with the decision of whether to tell his mother and Heather.   He thought they needed to know.... just in case something happened him.     Would they be able to play dumb if the time came?    He picked up his laptop case and went into the kitchen where he knew his mother and Heather were.

Gail looked up when she heard Jake walk in, "Hi, Honey.   Whatcha got there?"

Heather knew that Jake carrying that case was not a good thing.

Jake sat down on the other side of the table for them and opened the case.    He took out a large manilla envelope.    He pulled out eight passports, birth certificates and social security cards and a stack of money.  

He looked up at the two most important women in his life, "We need to talk."

"What's wrong, Jake?", Gail said with a worried voice.

"Nothing's wrong right now but I need to tell you some things just in case.     You both know a brief version of my last five years.    I need to tell you little more," Jake said quietly.

Heather and Gail looked at each other.   Gail took Heather's hand and they both looked at Jake with fear in their eyes.

"OK, you both know who I worked for.    Before I left San Diego, a friend of mine had been in contact with a group called Ravenwood.      He was going to Iraq to do a quick job and he tried to convince me to go with him.    Thing is, is he told them all about me before he talked to me.    I told him no.   My people at the State Department wanted me to go and try to take down some bad people.    I told them no.     I told Freddy what was going on with Ravenwood.   He tried to get out and they killed him.     They still wanted me.    September 18 I received a letter and picture by special messenger.   It was a picture of Jacob practicing with his soccer team.   He was circled in red marker with his name, birth date and the school he went to written out beside it.     The letter said "Jake Green III would really like for you to complete your assignment.   Be at this address Friday, September 21 at 10 am."   Nothing more.   I got ready and the next morning we left with the story we were coming here for a visit.    My plan was to get my kid, get my money and get our butts out of the country.    The only question in my mind was who exactly we were going to become and where we were going to go.     All that changed on September 19.   Who knows, that group may still be out there.    The company still exists.   We know that for a fact but whether or not they know anything about me here and now, I don't know."

Gail and Heather looked scared.    Gail reached out and picked a stack of papers up and started looking at them.    The birth certificates were from all over the United States.    The stack she picked up were for a child.   They read Carter Greer, age 6,  Patrick O' Conner, age 9 and William Davis, age 8.    The passports didn't look like hers.   Her passport was blue.   These were red.   She knew that meant something but she couldn't put her finger on it.

"Who are these children?   Why are the passports red?  Why are you showing us these?", Gail demanded.

"These papers are Jacob's other names in case we ever had to pick up and leave," Jake said.   He picked up the other stack and thumbed thru them, "This stack is mine.    No one would ever be able to look at a passenger list and see the names Jake Green or Jacob Green.    This trip we were Scott and Will Davis.    The passports are red because they were issued by the State Department.    The reason I'm telling you this is because these have to go away.    With Gray's people investigating everyone, I don't want to risk them coming across these.    I need to hide them where they can't be found, but I can still get to them if I need them.    If anything ever happens to me I want you to be able to get to them.   If the world ever gets normal again and something happens to me, I want you to leave the country and hide.   Do you have any idea where these can be hidden?"

Gail looked at Jake, "I don't have any idea, Jake.   But you have scared me to death, just so you know."

Heather looked at Jake, "How about the storm shelter out at the barn?   That block behind the food shelves where you had the wine would be perfect.   Put everything in a plastic bag and hide it in there."

Jake smiled at her, "That's perfect.   Great idea."

"Does Jacob know anything about any of this?    How do you explain this to a child?", Gail asked.

"No.   He doesn't know any of it.   That's another reason I want this stuff out of the house.    If he found these I would have to explain and I don't have a clue what I would tell him."

Jacob came running into the kitchen pulling on his coat.   There were three boys following him, "Can I go out with Brody and Woody and Chris?"

"Where are you going?" Jake said.

"We're going over to Sam's and then skateboarding.   Can I go?"

"Sure, why not.   I have to go out to the ranch for a little while.   Be home by dark."

"Ok," Jacob said running towards the front door.

*************************************************************

There was a sharp, insistent knock at the front door.

Gail looked up with a worried look.   That kind of knock meant business.     Gail and Heather looked from their puzzle worried.   Heather quickly answered the door.   It was Robert Hawkins looking very intense.   He pushed past her, looking around the living room.

"Is Jake here?", he asked.

"No, him and Johnston are out at the ranch.   What's wrong?", Gail asked, walking into the foyer.

"My wife just took his son over to the clinic."

Gail put her hand to her throat and turned pale, "What happened?  Is he alright?", she asked in a scared voice.

"I'm sorry.   I didn't mean to scare you.   I think he's going to be OK but he is going to have some stitches and a cast," Hawkins said.

"Oh my God," Gail said, "What's broken?   Why stitches?   What happened?",  Gail asked, worriedly.  

"There is a large empty pool over near my house," Hawkins said.

"The community pool close to the park?", Heather asked.

"Yes.   Kids have been using it for skateboarding.   There have been a few injuries---scraps and broken wrists mostly.    Jacob, Sam and their friends were there today.    Jacob had an accident.  It looks like he has a concussion, several cuts on face--one pretty bad and his arm is broken.   Let's go.   I'll take you there," Hawkins said, ushering Gail towards the door.

Gail looked back at Heather with a look of panic.   "Find Jake," she said pulling on her coat.

*************************************************************

Gail ran into the treatment room at the clinic.   Robert Hawkins was right behind her.    It looked like they hadn't been there long.   April and Dr. Kenchy Duwhalia were busy working on Jacob.    He was extremely pale.   Jacob's head was still bleeding from a deep cut at the hairline over his right temple.    There were several small cuts that had stopped bleeding.    The right side of his face was scrapped from temple to chin.    His shirt had been cut off.    His right arm was bent in a way that arms are never supposed to bend.     His collar was red and swollen as well.     Jacob's eyes were closed with tears slowly rolling down into his hair.   He was breathing very shallow.    She started to cry.    

"Mom," April said, "we don't have time for that.   I know it looks bad.    You used to be a nurse, you know that scalp wounds bleed a lot.    It looks a lot worse than it is.    I need for you to stay calm.   Is Jake coming?"

"I sent Heather out to the ranch to get him."

Gail put her hand on Jacob's leg and squeezed.     She wondered how long it would take Jake to get here.

*************************************************************

Jake ran into the waiting room.   Robert Hawkins sat looking at an old issue of "Newsweek".

"Where is he?   Is he alright?   What happened?", Jake asked in a rush.  

Hawkins stood up, walked over to him and took him by the arm, "Calm down, Jake.   You're going to scare him if you go running in there like a wild man.    He's going to be alright.    He has a bad concussion and some cuts on his face.    The doctors are sewing them up now.    He also has a broken arm and collar bone.     He was skateboarding over at an empty pool near my house and had an accident.   There was gravel and dirt around the bottom of the pool so he is pretty scrapped up."

Jake walked over to the door of the treatment room and looked in.    There was blood everywhere.   His arm was obviously broken.    "A skateboard accident?   That happened from a skateboard accident?"

April came out of the treatment room wiping her hands dry and looking very tired.       She looked at Jake and smiled a small, tight smile.   Gail got up from her stool beside Jacob and walked over to where they were.

"Is he alright?," Jake asked worriedly.

"Kenchy is sewing up the cuts on this face.   He used to work in plastics.    I'm letting him do the cuts so there will be minimal scaring.     The scalp wound was bad.    It took a bit to get the bleeding stopped.   He lost a lot of blood but he'll be OK," April said tiredly.    "He has a concussion.   He was really confused when he got here.   His arm is broken in two places.   His collar bone is also broken.   We've still got to set the arm.    That's going to be the worst for part for Jacob.     We've given him morphine for pain.    That's all we have left.   Someone broke into the pharmacy and stole everything else.    The morphine was in a lock box here in the ER.    Is Jacob allergic to anything?  I want to start some antibiotics."  

Jake sank into a chair.   He dropped his head into his hands.    Gail sat down beside him and put her arm around him.     Jake looked up at April.   He was obviously scared.    "I want to see him.   I want him to know I'm here."

"OK.   Go on in.   He is pretty sleepy with the morphine on board but I think it will make him feel better if he knows you're here.     Jake, allergies?"

"No allergies.   He hasn't ever had a problem with anything.    He has asthma.   That's the only health problem."    Jake slowly went to the door and looked thru the window.   He took a deep breath and went in.     Bad was an understatement.    Jacob's hair was matted with blood.   It was all around his head.   His face looked like road rash.    Kenchy looked up at him and nodded briefly.   He had just finished sewing the last cut.    Jake walked to the left side of the bed.  He bent down and stroked Jacob's cheek.  

"Hey, Bud.   Looks like you're having a rough day," Jake said quietly.

"Dad?," Jacob whispered.    He opened his eyes and looked at Jake.    Jake could tell he was having a hard time focusing.   His chest starting to hitch and tears started rolling down the sides of his face.

"Hey, hey.   Don't cry.   It's gonna be OK.   I promise.   Everything will be OK.    What happened?", Jake said quietly, trying to calm Jacob down.

"Mr. Hawkins said I wiped out," Jacob said with a quivering voice.  "Dad, I don't feel good."

"I know.   I've had a broken arm before too.   It hurts.   Try not to think about it.   Think about something else," Jake felt stupid telling him that but he didn't know what else to say.    Jacob dozed off after a few minutes.   Jake quietly left the room.

He walked out into the waiting room and ran his fingers thru his hair.   Hawkins came up to him.

"Is he alright?"

"Yeah, he's gonna be OK.    Thanks for bringing my mom here and staying with her.   I really appreciate it.   It's getting late.   Why don't you go home," Jake said, patting him on the shoulder.

"OK, I will.   If you need anything let me know," Hawkins said, pulling on his coat and walking out the door.  

Johnston came in supporting Heather.    She was limping.    Jake looked up with wide eyes.  

"What happened to you?", he asked.

"After you went roaring away we finished with the horses.   On the way out to the truck she slipped and it looks like she sprained her ankle," Johnston said.

Jake picked her up and took over to the chairs.    He took her shoe and sock off.    It was red and swollen.   It definitely looked sprained.

Jake shook his head, "This is unbelievable.   Jake in one room.   Heather in the other.      Maybe we can get the gurneys in the same room.   That way I won't have to split my time."

Heather at him, "How is he?"

"He's going to be OK but he is definitely not going to have a good next few days.    His face is all scraped and cut up, his collarbone is broken and his arm is broken," Jake said while examining Heather's foot.   "April said they've got to set the arm and then they'll cast it.    Let me go tell someone they have another patient."

"No, Jake, let them finish with Jacob.   I can wait," Heather said.

"No, you can't.  You need to have that looked at."

April stuck her head out the door of the treatment room, "Jake we're getting ready to do the arm."  She saw Heather sitting there.   "What happened to you?", she said.

"I think her ankle's sprained," Jake said.

"Jake are you trying to get your whole family free medical care?", April asked jokingly.   "OK, I want Jake and Dad in here.   This is going to hurt and we might need you to hold him down.   There is nothing to deaden this arm with.   We've given him morphine but he will feel this.    Mom, will you get Heather settled in the other room.   I'll send a nurse out to help," April said, "Heather, it might be a little while."

"I'm OK," Heather said.

April stepped back into the treatment room.   Jake and Johnston looked at each other and reluctantly followed her.    

Gail helped Heather get settled on a gurney in the other treatment room.  

"Well," Gail said, " what a day.   The joy of raising boys.   We had broken bones and stitches with Jake and Eric but never together.   Jacob has outdone both his father and  his uncle in one short afternoon.   Hopefully, we won't have to go thru this again for a long time."

A nurse walked in the room.    "My name is Rebecca.   I'm going to do some vital signs.   I'm sorry but I think you will have to wait a while.  They will probably be in with the little boy for a while."

"Hi Rebecca," Gail said.   She smiled over at Heather, "We're not in any hurry.  Just take care of my grandson.    I don't think I've seen you around here before.   Are you new?"

"Yes, Ma'am," Rebecca said, putting a blood pressure cuff around Heather's arm, "I'm from Rogue River.   After everything happened my family came here to live with my uncle.   My husband and I didn't want to live in the camp there.   It wasn't a good place for 3 little girls to live in."

"Three little girls?  You're busy," Heather said, smiling.

They heard screams coming from the other room.    Heather and Gail looked at each other with tears in their eyes.   They didn't notice the tears that came to Rebecca's eyes.   The nurse hurried out of the room.

Heather looked at Gail, "Go check on him, please."

Gail walked out to the hallway and saw Johnston leaning against the wall outside the treatment room.   He was looking a bit nauseated.   "What's wrong Johnston?  Is everything OK?"

"It's done.    They're putting the cast on now.    I don't ever want to have to do that again.     April gave him another shot for pain.   He's asleep now."

"Where's Jake?"

"He's outside smoking."

*************************************************************

Jake sat outside smoking a cigarette.    That had been awful.    He never wanted to have to do that again.     He heard the door behind him open.

"Hello, Jake."

"Hello, Becca," Jake said, not looking back at her, "I saw you trying to avoid me.   What are you doing here?   You know you aren't supposed to be anywhere near him."

"We live here now.    We're staying with my uncle.    He's my son too.   I want to see him.   I want to know him,"  she said sitting down on the bench across from Jake.

"No," Jake said, lighting another cigarette.   He still hadn't looked at Becca, "You had your chance.    You chose to drive off and leave us standing in the parking lot at McDonalds.    When the court contacted you, you willingly signed away all your parental rights.   You even sent a letter with them saying you had no desire to have and maintain any contact with him.    "You had a new husband and family and that's all you cared about", I believe is what was in the letter.     When the judge heard what you did to him and then read both letters, she not only severed all your rights, she did a restraining order.  (Becca gasped out loud) Yes, I kept the one you left with me when you drove off that night from McDonalds.   You aren't supposed to be within 100 feet of him.    You know all this.   I have notarized copies of all the court papers.   I can prove it all.    Why did you come to Jericho?"

"Jake, I didn't know you were here when we moved in with my uncle.    My husband doesn't know I have a son.   I never told him.     I thought I had put him away in the back of my heart but seeing him tonight made me realize I have still have a son."

"No, you don't.   You gave your son away.   I have a son.   Stay away from him," Jake said, getting up and going back into the waiting room.

Neither Jake nor Rebecca saw Gail in the shadows.    She had heard the whole thing.

*************************************************************

April was examining Heather's foot when Jake walked in the treatment.   She looked at him, "Well, Jake, Heather has done a little more than just sprain her ankle.   She has rebroken her leg AND sprain her ankle.   We're going to have a mini hospital at the house for a while.    I'm going to put her back in a walking cast.   By the time I track that down and find her some crutches, the cast on Jacob's arm should be dry and you can go home.       He has a cast from his hand to his armpit and he is going to have to be in an immobilizer too because of his broken collar bone.   He is probably going to be pretty knocked out tonight but you need to wake him up every hour or so and make sure he knows his name and where he is.   He has a pretty good concussion."

An hour later, Jake carried Heather and then Jacob out to the car and took his family home.

************************************************************

Chapter 14: March in Jericho by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

The song at the end is by Garth Brooks....I definitely do not take credit for that.   It is all his.   I love the song and thought it worked well.

Special thanks and credit to Marzee and Peggy.

********************************************

Jake pulled into the driveway.   He put his forehead down on the wheel and sighed a very weary sigh.    "What a day", he thought.    

 Jacob was laying in the seat beside him.    His face and head were still covered in dried blood.    His arm was in a cast from armpit to fingers.    The casted arm was held stiffly in place by an immobilizer due to a broken collarbone.    "He's a wreck", Jake thought, "It's going to be a rough night."   The morphine would be wearing off soon.   There were no more painkillers at the clinic.    As far as he knew, there was no Tylenol in Jericho.    Due to the concussion, aspirin and ibuprofen (as if there was any anyway) were off limits because it could cause bleeding.  

Jake looked into the mirror.    He saw Heather smiling at him from the backseat.       The only semi-working x-ray machine was from the 1950's and didn't give the brightest x-rays, but according to April, it looked like Heather's leg had a hairline fracture in the same area as the break from last fall.    Her ankle was also sprained.     "How can she still be smiling after everything that's happened?", Jake thought, shaking his head in wonder.

She put her hand on his shoulder and squeezed, "It'll be OK.   We'll be alright."
 
He turned and stroked her cheek, "I love you.   Did you know that?"
 
She took his hand and squeezed it, "I know.   I love you too."    She looked at Jacob, "We need to get him in the house.   It's cold out here and he doesn't have a shirt or shoes on.    The cold will make him stiffen up and hurt worse.   Let's get him in where it's warmer.
 
Johnston knocked on the window of the car, "Do you need help?"
 
"Yeah, that'd be great," Jake said, opening the door and getting out.   "I'll get Jacob.   Would you help Heather?"

Jake carried Jacob into the living room and saw that his mother had fixed the couch up.      He laid him down and turned to go help Heather and Johnston.   They were coming up the sidewalk when he got out to the porch.    Jake walked to where they were, took Heather's crutches, handed them to Johnston and picked her up.    He carried Heather over the threshold and into the house.
 
Heather couldn't help but smile at the thought of being carried over the threshold.    Jake caught her almost hidden smile and gave her his patented Jake Green sideways grin.
 
"Where do you want to go?   Living room or bedroom?", Jake asked.
 
"Um...bedroom.    I want to get into some comfortable clothes," Heather said.
 
Jake took her into the bedroom and put her on the bed.    He handed her the pajamas that were on the bench at the foot of the bed.  
 
"Do you need help getting undressed?", Jake asked.
 
Heather chuckled, "I think I can manage getting myself undressed."
 
"Oh, that's not what I meant.   I swear.   I just thought with all that stuff on your leg.   I promise, I wasn't going to try anything.    I wouldn't expect....I mean I never even thought..... I swear," Jake stammered.
 
Heather patted his hand, "I know...I was kidding.   Go check on Jacob.   I'll be out in a minute."
 
Jake walked back into the living room.   Gail was gently trying to wash some of the dried blood out of Jacob's hair.      He smiled at his mother, walked to the couch and gently took his mother's hand.
 
"That can wait til morning.    Let him sleep while he can.   The morphine will wear off soon and there's nothing to give him when it does.    I have it covered down here.   You and Dad go get some rest."
 
Gail stood up and hugged him, "If you need anything at all Jake, you know where I am."
 
Jake hugged her back, "Thanks, Mom."
 
Heather came out of the bedroom a few minutes later to find Jake pulling a blanket over Jacob.     She watched him bend down and press his lips to Jacob's forehead.   A memory from Heather's childhood popped into her head.   She could clearly see her mother doing that.
 
"Is he running a fever?", Heather asked.
 
Jake looked up at Heather as she slowly made her way to the couch.   "You get around pretty good on those things, " Jake said, looking at the crutches.  "You know the kiss trick, huh?  It was years before I realized what my mother was doing.   I thought it was just a kiss for the longest time.   That "soothing back rub" too, I didn't know til I was a teenager that she was checking for a fever," Jake smiled at his childhood memories, "And, no, he doesn't have a fever."
 
Heather started toward the kitchen, "I'm gonna get some water.   Want some?"
 
"Sit," Jake said, pointing at the chair, "I'll get it for you.   You need to stay off your leg."
 
She smiled at him, "Thanks.   I'll let you.   It's starting to throb."
 
She sat down in the chair beside the couch.   Jake had just stepped out of the room when Jacob started getting restless.

Heather scooted over on the couch beside him, "Honey, are you alright?"
 
"My back is itchy and I can't scratch it," Jacob said sleepily.
 
"Roll over on your side and I'll rub it for you."
 
He very slowly maneuvered himself to his side.   Heather slowly and very gently started rubbing his back.
 
Jacob yawned and sighed contentedly, "My Nana used to do that when I didn't feel good.   It always makes me feel better."   He drifted back off to sleep.    Heather didn't move.   She continued to rub his back.    She heard a sound and looked up.   Jake stood in the doorway.   He had an odd look on his face.
 
"Jake?" Heather asked, concerned. "Are you alright?"
 
He walked over, handed her a bottle of water and squeezed her shoulder.
 
"I'm so lucky, Heather."
 
"Lucky?  How do you figure that?    Your son has 3 broken bones and is held together by thread.   How are you lucky?"

"It was luck that put us together on that bus.   It was luck that brought you into our lives.   Sara never would have done what you did today.   I guarantee you, she wouldn't be sitting on a couch in the middle of the night rubbing Jacob's back.   He needed a loving touch.   We need you.   So, yes, I consider myself lucky."

Heather smiled at Jake and squeezed his hand, "I feel pretty lucky myself."
 
"Why don't you go to bed?   I'm gonna stay out here in case he needs me.    There's no sense in both of us staying awake all night."
 
"Why don't you pull out the sofa bed in our bedroom?  We'll be able to hear him if he wakes up.   It's the only way I can think of to get any sleep."
 
Jake gave Heather a surprised look, "Are you sure?"
 
"Jake, I'm not Sara.   I want to be as much a part of Jacob's life as I do yours.   I want to help take care of him.   Yes, I'm sure.   Go make up the sofa bed."
 
"I'm sorry, Heather.   It's been a long day.   I didn't mean....I wasn't saying...."
 
Heather took Jake's hand, "Let's go to bed and try to get some sleep."
 
*********************************************************
 
Heather woke up first that morning.    It was cold in the house.    She slowly made her way to the fireplace.    She added what logs there was and poked the fire up.    Soon there was a merry blaze.    Gail came downstairs pulling a sweater over her head.   She glanced at the couch and stopped.  
 
"Where's Jacob?"
 
"He's in the bedroom asleep.     Jake was going to sit out here with him but I didn't think that would be comfortable.    I talked him into putting Jacob on the sofa bed in the bedroom.    I thought it was the only way anyone was going to get any sleep."
 
Gail smiled at her, "You don't need to explain.    How is he this morning?"
 
"It was bad night but I think both he and Jake are finally asleep.   He has a bad headache and he had an asthma attack a couple of hours ago.   Jake almost didn't get it under control.    They're both exhausted."
 
"I'm just gonna take a peek," Gail said, walking over to the bedroom door.    She glanced in and saw Jake sitting up against the back of the sofa bed.   His eyes were closed and his head was resting against the wall.   Jacob was sleeping sitting between Jake's legs leaned up against him.     They were pale with exhaustion.   Jacob's hair was wet with sweat.    Gail saw that Jake had wrapped his arm around Jacob and had his hand resting on his chest.    Gail had spent enough nights sitting up with sick kids to know Jake wasn't just holding his son, he was making sure he was breathing.    Jacob was still quietly wheezing.   Jake lifted his head and looked at her with very tired eyes.    He raised his hand and put his finger over his lips.    Gail quietly left the room.
 
******************************
 
An hour later Jake came out of the bedroom stretching.    Johnston, Gail and Heather were sitting in the living room quietly talking about the night before.     Jake gave his mother a kiss on the cheek and then walked over and cupped Heather's face in his hands and gave her a quick kiss that promised more later and said, "Thank you."
 
Johnston cleared his throat, "Alright, Children, not in front of your parents please."
 
Heather blushed a deep shade of pink and Jake looked back at his father and smiled, "Sorry, Dad.   The urge struck.   When an urge comes over me I just have to do it....it's a character flaw."
 
"So, how is my grandson?", Gail asked, trying not to laugh.
 
As if in response to his grandmother's question, Jacob very slowly walked out of the bedroom.    He looked down at his arm in the immobilizer and then around the room.
 
"Do I have to wear this?   It's itchy and I can't move my arm."
 
"That's the idea.   You have a broken collarbone.   You're not supposed to move your arm," Jake said.  
 
Jacob walked over, sat down between Jake and Heather and leaned back on Jake.    Jake felt his forehead and said,  "We need to get you cleaned up.   You're looking pretty rough."
 
"I don't want to.   My head hurts and my arm hurts," Jacob said, his face like a thundercloud, "and I want this thing OFF." (pulling on the immobilizer strap.)
 
Jake looked over at his parents, "Just so you know, he's the nastiest sicky you'll ever meet.   That's how I can tell when he's getting sick.   He turns on you."
 
Gail raised one eyebrow and looked over at Jake and then Johnston, "Well, he comes by it honestly."
 
Jake and Johnston looked at each other and then at Gail and said, "What?" at the same time.
 
"Oh, nothing.   Nothing at all," Gail said laughing.
 
****************************************
 
Two weeks later Jake and Jacob were walking up Chestnut Street towards the Medical Center to have stitches removed.  
 
"So, how does the arm feel?", Jake asked.
 
"It's OK, Dad.   You've asked me that three times since we left the house.   Is there something wrong with my arm?"
 
"No.  Sorry.   Just wanted to make sure everything was ok."
 
"What's wrong, Dad?"
 
"Nothing," Jake said, taking a deep breath, "I need to talk to you.   Let's sit down," Jake said motioning to a bus stop bench.  
 
"What about?"
 
"Well...," Jake hesitated.
 
"What?"
 
Jake turned and looked at Jacob, "How do you feel about Heather?"
 
"I like her.  She's fun.  Why?"
 
"I like her a lot too.   A lot."    
 
"Dad," Jacob said quietly, looking down at the sidewalk and pushing a rock around with the toe of his shoe, "is Sara dead?"
 
"I don't know," Jake said.    He turned sideways on the bench so he could look Jacob in the face,  "Jake, she's not coming back.   Ever."
 
"I like Heather," Jacob said, smiling at his father, "She's nicer than Sara."   He hesitated a minute and then looked at Jake from under his bangs,  "Are you gonna marry Heather?"
 
Jake inhaled sharply and looked at Jacob, "Why do you ask that?"

Jacob looked at his father and shook his head in disgust, "I'm not a baby, ya know.   Ain't this the "is it ok with you talk"?   Me and Mike and Joey talked about this when Mike's dad got married.   This is the same talk Mike got.   Ain't that what this is?  I mean you sleep in the same room.   You do that thing.  Come on, Dad, DUH,"   Jacob said, rolling his eyes.

"Don't say ain't...it's isn't.   And yes.   I guess it is that talk," Jake said smiling, "I guess I forget you're a grown up mature man now.    How would you feel if I talked to Heather about it?"
 
"I told ya Dad, I like Heather.   She's nice.   It's OK with me."
 
"Don't say anything to anybody.    It's a secret.   OK?"
 
"OK," Jacob said, impulsively hugging Jake with his good arm.   Jake was stunned.   He never got hugs anymore.    He hugged him back for just a second before Jacob pulled away.
 
*******************************************************
 
Later that night Jake was helping his mother in the kitchen when he heard whispering, laughing and shhhing coming from the living room.
 
"So it's OK.   You don't mind watching him if I take Heather out for a real date?", Jake asked, drying a dish.
 
"Honey, take Heather out.   Have a good time.   I don't mind at all.   What are you going to do?" Gail asked.
 
The laughing got louder followed by loud shhing and whispering.
 
He walked to the doorway and looked towards the fireplace.   It was Heather and Jacob.  "Hey, what are you two up to.  I thought you were resting.   That doesn't sound like resting to me."
 
They looked at him and said "Nothing" very guiltily.    
 
Jacob looked at Heather, "I told you if you didn't be quiet we were gonna get in trouble.   You can't sneak if your laughing," he whispered, shaking his head.
 
Jake narrowed his eyes and walked towards them.    They started hastily rearranging blankets on the floor and then looked up at him with big,innocent eyes.
 
"Hi, Jake."
"Hi, Dad, whatcha doin?"
 
"Nope.  That don't work.   You look guilty.   Move back, both of you."
 
"Why?" Heather looked up at him, trying to not laugh.
 
"You can't hold a straight face, that's a sure sign you're up to something."
 
He bent down and pulled the blanket away.   Heather's walking cast was off and there was a walkie talkie with the antennae pulled all the way out.  "What, exactly, is going on here?"

"Well, Dad, you said I couldn't stick anything down in the cast to scratch my arm and you told Heather she couldn't take that thing off her leg.   Well my arm is really itchy and she wants that thing off her leg so I figured if I took the cast off her leg and she scratched my arm that we couldn't get in trouble. Because we're doing what you said, I didn't scratch and she didn't pull that thing off her leg," Jacob explained, looking very proud of himself.

"Figured that out all by yourself, did you?"
 
"Yes," Jacob said smiling.
 
Jake bowed his head and shook it, "I give up."
 
Gail walked into the room, "Is everything OK?"
 
"They've teamed up against me.   One is just as bad as the other."
 
******************************************************
 
St. Patrick's Day dawned bright and sunny.     Jake woke up to find Heather watching him.  
 
"Mornin'," he said yawning.
 
Heather snuggled up beside him and ran her fingers over his chest, "So, what is this surprise evening you have planned?"
 
Jake chuckled, "That ain't gonna work.   I'm not telling you.   It's a surprise."
 
"Is that so," she said getting a mischievous gleam in her eye.    She continued running her fingers across his chest and started nibbling his ear.
 
"I've been trained to only give name, rank and serial number during a torture attempt.    And besides, the torturer has to be willing to go all the way," he said, suddenly throwing her over onto her back, pulling the covers over their heads and starting to tickle her.
 
She screamed and then started laughing, "Ok Ok...I give."
 
Jake stopped and uncovered his head.   He looked very pleased with himself, "There's more than one way to get out of enemy territory."
 
He got out of bed still chuckling.   He handed Heather the walking cast, "Here, put this on.   If you're good today I might let you go without it tonight."
 
"Really," Heather said and then started smiling, "Jake, there's something you might need to know.   I do believe in giving full warning.   I was the Wedgy Queen in high school."
 
"Well then," Jake said, walking over to her side of the bed, "I'll just have to go commando won't I?"   He leaned down and gave her a deep kiss that left her gasping for breath at the end.
 
**********************************************************
 
Jake spent the day getting everything ready.     He was very happy that the weather had finally started warming up.   It was actually in the 60's.    The only thing he couldn't find were flowers.
 
On the way back to town he drove by the old abandoned Booker farm and slammed on the brakes.   There were rows of creamy yellow Daffodils against a rock wall that used to be part of the house.    He picked everyone he could find.   True, they weren't the most romantic of flowers but they were the first flowers in Jericho.    He quickly drove back to the Ranch in hopes of finding a vase.
 
Jake walked into the house an hour later.   He was very proud of himself.    Gail and Heather looked up from a jigsaw puzzle.   Their mouths fell open.
 
"Jake, Honey, you're filthy," Gail said, looking at her oldest son.   She didn't think she had seen him this dirty since he used to play in the dirt.   He was covered, head to toe, in dirt and grime and there were spider webs in his hair.
 
"True," Jake said, smiling, "but I got a lot done today."  
 
Jacob looked up from his seat on the window seat, put his book down and wrinkled his nose, "Dad, you stink."
 
"Nothing like family love," Jake laughed, "Don't worry.   I'm going to take a shower."
 
He looked at Heather and smiled, "Go on.   Start getting ready."   He headed up the stairs.
 
"What exactly am I supposed to be getting ready for?", she called after him.
 
He looked down at her, "It's a surprise.    Remember to wear something green.   I don't want to have to pinch you."
 
Heather looked at Gail, "He won't tell me anything.   How exactly am I supposed to dress.   I don't have a clue what he has planned."
 
"I don't know what it is exactly but do you have anything that is casual, not dressy but more than jeans?"
 
*************************************
Jake walked out in the hall with a towel around his waist.    He was glad Eric had forgotten his cologne when he moved out.    He thought Polo was a nice choice and it was so very Eric.

He walked into Jacob's bedroom and looked at the clothes his mother had found for him. "Perfect", he thought.    He was glad that his mother liked to save things.   It didn't look like Gail had thrown anything of his out in the time he had been gone.  She had just moved it to a storage closet.   He was sure he had never worn these....they looked brand new.

Gail walked into the bedroom behind him, "You look very nice," she said proudly.
 
Jake smiled, "Thanks.   I clean up well," he said, laughing.    
 
He sat down on the side of the bed and started pulling on his boots.  
 
"Don't wear those beat up things," Gail said, handing him a pair of Johnston's loafers.  "These look better."   She closed the door behind her.   Jake walked over to her and put his arms around her, "Thanks, Mom.   You're the best," he said, kissing her cheek.
 
"I know," she said, hugging her oldest son.  She stepped back, looked up at him and then stuck something in his pocket, "Here, this is for you."
 
******************************************************************
 
Jake walked down the stairs.   Heather looked up from her book and smiled, "You clean up very well, Mr. Green."  Jake had changed from his usual jeans, t-shirt and battered boots to khakis, dark green Polo shirt and loafers.
 
He gave her his patented "Jake Green sideways smile", "You didn't do too bad yourself, Miss Lisinski,"  he said looking at Heather appreciatively.   She had changed into a very springtimey Empire waist dress and flats.
 
"You have legs," he said smiling.
 
"Nice shirt," she said walking over.
 
Jake chuckled and kissed her quickly.
 
"Eww, gross," they heard from the dining room table.    Jake looked over and saw Jacob and Johnston playing a game of checkers.    
 
"You kids have fun," Johnston said, wincing as Jacob triple jumped him.
 
"And don't bring home a baby," Jacob said, laughing.
 
"Alright, that's enough of that," Johnston said, looking at all the possible moves left to him on the checker board.    He moved only to be jumped again and lose the game.      
 
"HA! I win!" Jacob shouted.   Johnston decided then and there that he would never start out with the intention of letting Jacob win.   It was too humiliating.
 
Jake took Heather's hand and they walked to the front door, "We'll see you later."
 
They got out on the front porch and started laughing.
 
"Someone needs to have a talk with him," Jake said, turning slightly pink.
 
"You're his father," Heather laughed, also blushing.
 
"Yeah, but you're the teacher," Jake said, continuing to laugh.
 
They walked down the sidewalk and got into the car.
 
**************************************************************
 
Jake backed the car out of the driveway and started out of town.    
 
"Now, all things are not what they seem at first.    When we get where we're going don't let looks deceive you."
 
"Where are we going, Jake?" Heather asked.
 
"It's a surprise," he said with an infuriating smile.
 
Heather recognized the area.   They were headed out towards the ranch?  Surely not.   There was no where out there for a date.
 
"We're going to the ranch?   Aren't we a little overdressed for the horses?"
 
"I told you, looks can be deceiving.   Just hang on."
 
They drove past the road out to the ranch and turned left on the next one.   The road was in very bad shape but showed signs of lots of recent usage.
 
They pulled up in front of a house badly in need of painting.    It might have once been yellow but now it was a faded yellowish white.    
 
"Remember....first impressions aren't everything," Jake said, opening the door for Heather and taking her hand to help her out of the car.
 
Heather wasn't seeing a house in need of paint.    She was seeing the house in her dream.    Yellow, with white shutters, flower beds everywhere and kids playing on the front porch.    She turned and looked out at the fields surrounding the house.   She didn't see dead grass and mud, she saw fields of green---the grass waving in the slight breeze---looking like a green ocean and more----a field of promises to come.
 
Jake looked at her, "Hey, are you alright?"
 
Heather smiled, "I'm absolutely perfect."
 
"Good," Jake said, taking her hand and pulling her towards the porch, "Come on."
 
They walked in thru the side door into the kitchen.   It was freshly painted and everything had been scrubbed.    Daffodils were everywhere.    The fire was crackling merrily.   Bonnie and Sean came into the kitchen.   Jake gave her a quick hug.    
 
"Thanks for helping, Bonnie.   You're a lifesaver, " he smiled and looked at Heather, "Jake don't cook...unless you're interested in eating charcoal.   Bonnie remembers my cooking.    She offered to help out."
 
He gave Bonnie a hug and shook Sean's hand, "Thanks Guys.   Be careful," as they headed out the door.
 
Jake looked at Heather, "Sit down.   I'll get everything on the table."   He handed her a bottle of wine, "Would you mind opening this?"
 
He walked over to the fire and took the lid off of a pot that had been simmering on a grill near the back of the fireplace.    He fixed two plates of steak, baked potatoes and grilled corn.    There was even bread in a crock beside it.     He took the plates over to the table.
 
"This looks great," Heather said, looking at the plates, "how in the world did manage food for a meal like this?"
 
"It helps to have farm connections.    Bonnie is a great cook.   All I had to do was ask and she jumped on board to cook for me.   She's tasted my burnt offerings and she didn't want you to fall victim to it," Jake said laughing.
 
They savored their food.   It had been months since they had had any food like this and might be months before they had it again.    
 
After they had their fill they sat and finished their wine in comfortable silence.
 
"So," Jake said, "is there anything about me you want to ask about?   Anything at all?  I know I show a lot of wear and tear and come with a lot of baggage.  You've probably heard lots of stories.   So now is your chance.   Anything?"
 
"Jake, I don't care about your past.   Not one bit of it.   I know you had some problems.   It doesn't matter.   It's who you are now....not then."
 
He took her hand and kissed it, "You are so sweet and good.   I just can't figure out what you see in me.    I'm everything you're not.   I'm a lot older than you.   I can't believe you would want to be with me."
 
"Stop it.   You're being silly.   You're a good man, Jake.    That's the way I feel and you're not going to talk me out of it," Heather said, indignantly, "I love you, Jake Green.   And I'm 26 not 16.   You're not that much older than me."
 
Jake breathed a silent sigh of relief.   He had given her the chance to bail and she hadn't taken it.   He relaxed a little.
 
"Jake, have you ever truly considered marriage?  I mean you're 32 years old.  You have a child.    Why have you never gotten married?    Have you ever even thought about it?"
 
"I did actually propose once.   To Emily.   We were kids.   I was 19 and she was 17.    We were engaged for a about a day.    As much as I hate to admit it, there just wasn't anything there with Jake's mother.   It was rebound and sex and that's it.   And Sara, well, Sara and I were never meant to be.   It just wasn't there.   And I don't regret that," he hastened to answer, "Yes, I have thought about it.    Heather, how do you feel about marriage?  Have you ever thought about it?"
 
"I like the idea.   With the right person it would be wonderful.   I have thought about it.   I've thought about it a lot lately," she said, smiling at Jake shyly.
 
"Heather, you know I have a kid.   We're a package deal.    I would never leave him behind.    How do you feel about that?"
 
"Jake, that is the most stupid question I think you have ever asked me.    If you think I would ask you to leave him behind you don't know me at all.   Get this through your head.   I am not Sara.   I am sorry she hurt you the way she did.   I would never do that, Jake.    He's a great little boy.   I love him."
 
Jake exhaled a huge held breath.    He put his hand in his pocket.   He was glad that his mother could still read him like a book.    
 
"Heather Lisinski," Jake said, moving out of his chair to kneel in front of her.   He took her hand in his and kissed it and then cupped her face in his hands and kissed her, "I love  you.    I love your crossword puzzles and your suduko puzzles, your romance novels, your big fuzzy bathrobe and foo foo bunny slippers.   I love you.   Would you marry us?" he asked, pulling a box out of his pocket and opening it.    Inside was Grandmother Green's diamond engagement ring.
 
Tears started running down Heather's face.    "Oh, Jake, yes, yes, yes."
 
***************************************************************************
 
After making sure the fire was out and clearing away the dishes they left and drove back to town.     Neither of them wanted to go home so they decided to go to Bailey's.   There was a St. Patrick's Day party in full swing.   Jake spotted Stanley and Mimi in their usual corner both.    He waved at Eric as they walked past.
 
"How was dinner?" Stanley asked.
 
"Dinner was amazing," Heather answered, glowing.
 
"I didn't know steak and a baked potato could make a woman that happy.   Did something else happen?" Stanley asked, grinning.
 
Heather held out her left hand, beaming a smile bright enough to light up Jericho.
 
Stanley came around the table and caught Jake in a bear hug. "Dude, you're takin' the vows.   Congratulations!"
 
Eric walked up, "What?  Did I just hear that my big brother proposed?"
 
Eric stood up on a chair, "All right everybody.   Quiet down.   Hush.   I have an announcement."   The bar fell completely silent, everyone expecting some more bad news.   Eric smiled, "My big brother proposed to Heather Lisinski tonight.   Believe it or not Mr. Jake Green is getting married!!!!  He is finally off the market!"   The bar erupted in cheers and yells.    Glasses of green, St. Patrick's Day moonshine were passed around.    Jake and Heather were toasted repeatedly.   It was the first good news Jericho had had in months and they were going to celebrate it wholeheartedly.   Finally, it quieted down and the music started again.    
 
Emily came over to the table.   It was obvious she had been crying.   She hugged Heather and looked at her and Jake, "Congratulations.   I know you'll be happy."  
 
Jake scooted over, "Wanta sit down?"
 
"No, I need to go home.   Have a great evening.   Congratulations."   She slowly walked out of Bailey's.
 
When a slow song finally came on Jake pulled Heather to the dance floor and they danced in the glow of happiness.
 
"She was the one that I'd wanted for all times
And each night I'd spend prayin' that God would make her mine
And if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back then
I'd never ask for anything again
 
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers

And as she walked away and I looked at my wife
And then and there I thanked the good Lord
For the gifts in my life

Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he may not answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers......"----Garth Brooks

******************************************

Thanks for reading my story.   Feedback is always appreciated!!

Chapter 15: March Madness by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.     I am also not affiliated in any way with J.K. Rowling or Harry Potter....their just personal favorites of mine.

Special thanks and credit goes to Marzee.   I wouldn't have been able to finish this one without her.   She is wonderful!


******************************************

It was the dead of the night.   The only light was the moon and stars.    The back yard of the Green house was washed in shadows.    Jacob was wide awake.   He had been reading a vampire horror comic and he couldn't sleep.    He had heard his dad and Heather come in a couple of hours earlier and had been tempted to go downstairs but didn't.   His knew his dad would be really mad if he found out about the horror comics.    So here he sat at 3:30 am looking out the window into the backyard holding  the St. Michael medal around his neck, just in case a vampire came.     Suddenly he saw a shadow move.    There was a man crossing the backyard.   It was just too much, Jacob raced out of the bedroom and down the stairs.    He ran into his father and Heather's bedroom.  

Jake and Heather never imagined anyone would come running into their bedroom at 3:30 am without knocking.    They hadn't bothered to lock the door when they came in.

There were three separate gasps of shock.    Jacob turned around and ran back up the stairs, got into bed and pulled the covers over his head....dying from embarrassment.   The man in the backyard and any thoughts of vampires forgotten for the moment.

Jake entered his son's bedroom pulling on a t-shirt.   He closed the door and stood beside the bed looking down at the unmoving lump that was his child.   "What in the Hell do you think you think you're doing? he whispered loudly.   "You are old enough to know better than to go into someone's bedroom without knocking."

Jacob slowly uncovered his head.    He was still beet red, "I'm sorry, Dad."

"What are you doing awake at 3:30 in morning?" Jake said looking around the room.   His eyes landed on "Vampires Everywhere" on the window seat.   He walked over a picked it up.    "Oh, I see.   You've scared yourself to death.    I thought these things were gone?    Where did you get another one?"

"I'm sorry, Dad.   I didn't know you were.... I mean I didn't mean to.... I'm sorry."

"Why did you come running into the bedroom in the middle of the night.   If there's a reason, I won't be mad."

Jacob sat there a minute without speaking, "There was a man in the backyard.   I saw him in the shadows."

Jake looked at Jacob and shook his head, "There was no man outside.   You read this thing (waving the comic in the air) and scared yourself silly.   Tomorrow you're gonna show me where you keep getting these things and we're going to burn them.    Do you understand?   Now lay down and go to sleep."

Jake left the bedroom shaking his head.    Heather was waiting at the foot of the stairs.

"Is everything alright?"

"Everything's fine.   He read something that scared him and now swears there is a vampire outside in the backyard," Jake said.  He showed her the comic, "He's gonna show me where these things are and we're burning them."

Heather giggled nervously.   There was just enough light coming in the windows for Jake to see she was blushing.     She leaned into Jake and moaned embarrassedly, "I can't believe that just happened."

"He's just as embarrassed as we are.    I don't think Dracula getting ready to bite him could get him out of bed at night again.    Let's go to bed before we wake the parental units up."                

**************************************

On the way downstairs the following morning Johnston heard Jacob moving around in his bedroom.   It was earlier than Jacob usually woke up.   Johnston's radar went up.   Something was going on.    He knocked on the door and went in.    Jacob was coming out of his closet.

"You're up early.  Whatcha doin?" Johnston asked.

"Just puttin some things in the closet," Jacob said.

"Since you're up anyway why don't you come on outside with me keep me company."

"OK"

Jacob slid his feet in his shoes and followed Johnston down the stairs.    The clock on the mantel showed it was 7:30 am.    Johnston liked to sit on the backporch swing with his morning coffee and relax before starting his day.    Jacob sat down in the swing beside him.

Jacob looked at Johnston's mug, "Can I have some?"

Johnston handed it to him, "That's black coffee.   No sugar."   He couldn't believe an eight year old would drink black coffee.

"OK," Jacob said, yawning.   He took the mug and took a big drink.

When it became obvious the Johnston wasn't getting his mug back, he went and got himself another cup.

"So," Johnston said, settling back down in the swing, "what got you up so early this morning?   We're usually having to drag you out of bed at 9 am."

"Just wasn't sleepy I guess,"  Jacob said quietly.

"What would you be doing on a Saturday morning if you were in San Diego?"

Jacob smiled to himself while he thought about his answer.  

"Saturday was the best day.   That was the day that Dad was home.    I got to do stuff that Nana never let me do.   After practice we did all kinds of fun things."

"Your Dad wasn't home during the week?" Johnston asked.   This was the first information he had been able to get about Jake's time away.

"Sometimes he was but it was always really late when he got home.   Usually he was workin."

"What kind of practice did you go to?"

"Soccer, football, hockey and baseball."

"Jake wouldn't have been caught dead playing anything but baseball when he was a kid," Johnston thought.   He couldn't believe that Jake had Jacob playing a different sport for each season.     "Jake must have just loved being around all the crazy sports parents," he thought, shaking his head and chuckling.

"What kind of fun things did you do besides practice?" Johnston asked, still gently digging for information.

"Um....Dad let me have cheeseburgers, fries and Coke for breakfast.   Nana didn't like that.   We went to ball games, batting cages, video games at Uncle Freddy's.   I even got to play Grand Theft Auto til Miss Ana found out and made me turn it off. (Johnston raised his eyebrows at Grand Theft Auto and thought, "Thank God for Miss Ana, whoever she is.")   Dad was teaching me to surf too.  We was going to get a new wet suit when we got back home.    We always had In N Out Burgers for dinner.   I had a babysitter ever Saturday night and she let me watch scary movies.   It was fun,"  Jacob said, smiling.

"Sounds like you and your dad were best friends."

"Yeah, we were.   Grandpa, dad ain't fun no more."

"This poor confused child," Johnston thought, rubbing the back of Jacob's neck.  "Jake's made a mistake that Grandpa can't fix.   He's got to take care of this."

"You had a Nanny.  Why did you have a babysitter?"

"It was her day off.   Sara was usually home when we got back and Dad and her went on a date and I got a babysitter.   Mrs. Oliver let me do anything I wanted.   Saturday's were fun."

"Who the hell is Sara?   Was Jake married?" Johnston thought.

"What do you think about your dad and Heather?"

"I guess it's OK.  They like each other.   She's nice even though she makes me do school," Jacob said, taking a big breath.   "Grandpa....oh never mind."   Jacob looked down and started biting his bottom lip.

"What's eatin' at you, Jacob?" Johnston asked, stopping the swing.

"Do you think Heather's nice?"

"Yes, I do.   I think she's good for your dad and good for you too."

"Yeah, I guess.   Grandpa....I did something last night.   Dad's pretty mad at me."

"Good Lord, it can't be that bad.   What did you do?"

"I ran in Dad's bedroom and they were there but they weren't sleeping," Jacob said blushing.

"Is that all?" Johnston said, smiling and rubbing Jacob's head.   "I don't think anyone's mad at you.   It was an accident.   The door should've been locked.   Don't worry bout it."   Johnston decided it was time to change the subject, "Do you like to ride horses?"

"Yeah, I took riding lessons at home.   Every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon."

"How bout I take you out to the ranch some afternoon.   We can go riding together?"

"Sure, Grandpa!" Jacob said with a wide grin.

*****************************************

Jake and Heather came into the kitchen together the next morning.    Gail was scrambling eggs.    

"Well, how was the date?   What did Bonnie fix?"

Jake could tell that Heather was about to bust but he couldn't help it....he had to tease his mother, "Dinner was pretty good.   Bonnie made steaks and pototoes.    We stopped off at Bailey's on the way home.     I hope Jacob wasn't too much of a problem."

Heather looked at Jake with excitement, "Jake, I can't stand it.   I've got to."

He laughed, "Go ahead.   You're both gonna bust if you don't."

Heather ran across the room and held out her left hand.   Gail threw her arms around her, "Oh, Honey, I was hoping but afraid to say anything."   She took Heather's hand in hers and looked at the ring.   "It's just perfect.   It fits you like it was made for you."  

Jake put his arms around Heather from behind, bent down and kissed her on the cheek, "I guess you figured it out, I proposed."

Gail pulled him into a hug and kissed his cheek, "Honey, I am so happy for you both.    I can't wait to tell your father.    He's out back with Jacob."

She opened the back door and motioned them in, "Breakfast and there's good news for a change."
 
Jacob didn't look Heather or Jake in the eye when he walked in.   He was still very embarrassed.    He silently slid into his seat.

Johnston washed his hands at the sink and looked back at them, "What good news?"

"Your son has proposed.   We get to plan a wedding!"

Johnston gave Heather a quick hug and smiled, "Congratulations."

Gail spooned scrambled eggs on everyone's plate.   She sensed tension in Jacob.    She reached over and laid her hand over his, "Honey, did you hear what I said?   Your dad and Heather are getting married.   Isn't that wonderful?   You'll finally have a mom."

He glanced up at Heather, blushed, and quietly said, "Yeah, that'll be great," Jacob said, pushing eggs around with his fork.   "I'm not hungry.   May I be excused?"

Gail frowned.   She could tell something was wrong but didn't know what it was, "Don't you want just a few bites?   You need to eat something."

"Gail, let him be.   He has a lot on his mind," Johnston said winking at Jacob, "Yes, Son, you may be excused."

Jacob glanced at Jake and Heather and made a hasty exit from the kitchen.

"What's up with him?" Gail asked, looking at Jake.

"He decided to read "Vampires Everywhere" last night and then was too scared to go to sleep.    At around 3:30 this morning he busted into the bedroom at the wrong time," Jake said, with an embarrassed laugh.   "He swears he saw a vampire in the backyard.   We're going to destroy those comics once and for all."

Johnston laughed, "Son, you just learned one of the most important points of parenthood.   Lock your door.    It's not his fault you were irresponsible.   Remember to lock the door from now on."   Johnston looked over at Gail and smiled, "Remember that time Eric caught us.      There's nothing like hand touching your foot and a very small voice saying "Daddy, I need to go bafroom".    To this day we still lock the door."

"Dad, please.   Way too much information," Jake said, with an embarrassed laugh.

Heather had turned a shade of burgundy that Jake found particularly cute.    

Johnston patted her hand, "Honey, it's OK.   It happens to all of us.   I can guarantee you it won't be the last time.   Sweetheart, you need to breath before you pass out."

Heather let out a pent up breath and laughed, "Can we change the subject?"

"Let's talk about the wedding," Gail said, jumping at the chance to plan.   "With two sons I never thought I would get to help plan a wedding."

"On that note, I'm going upstairs to talk to my son," Jake said.

******************************************

Jake walked into Jacob's bedroom.   He found him sitting on the floor playing with Star Wars toys Gail had found in the attic.    Jake sat down beside him on the floor.

"Hey, whatcha got there?"

"Boba Fett, Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon."

"I think those used to be mine.   I didn't know Mom had saved them.   I'm glad she did."

Jake took the toys out of Jacob's hand and turned him around so they were facing each other.

"We need to talk," Jake said.

"No we don't," Jacob said, blushing.

"Me and Heather talked about it last night and we're going to get married.   How do you feel about that?"

"It's OK."

"Just OK?"

"It's fine, Dad," Jacob said, reaching for the toys.

Jake put the toys in his shirt pocket, "We also need to talk about last night."

"Are you still mad?"  Jacob said barely moving his lips.  "I won't ever come in your room again without knocking."

"No I'm not mad.   I just want to know if you want to talk about anything that happened?"

"No!"

"OK, then.   One other thing.   Where are the comic books?"

"Da-ad, are you really going to burn them?"

"I am going to put them away."

"Yes, Sir," Jacob said quietly, with a large sigh, looking at Jake from under long bangs.    He got up and handed Jake a stack of comic books.    What Jake didn't know was that before breakfast, Jacob had hidden all but a handful of the horror comics in the closet.   The ones he handed Jake were the ones he didn't like and duplicates.      

"Dad, there really was a man in the backyard."

"Son, I'm sorry but I think that "man" came out of these books.   That's why I'm putting them away.    Grab your jacket and come on downstairs.  We're going to go to the Medical Center and see about getting that immobilizer off."

******************************************

An hour after lunch, Jacob was at the playground with his friends Brody, Matt, Lucas, Woody, Sam and Emily.   There were sitting on the edge of the sandbox talking.

"When did you get all that stuff off your arm?" Sam asked.

"This morning," Jacob said, throwing a rock into a puddle.    It felt good to be able to move his arm again.   Dr. Dhuwalia had removed the immobilizer and reduced the cast to just the forearm and hand that morning.

"So, your dad's getting married, huh?" Woody asked, drawing in the sand with a stick.

"Yeah, to Heather."

"Old Lady Lisinski?" Brody asked.   "Wow.   Boy are you in for it.   She's the worst teacher at school.    She makes you finish all your work before you can go to learning centers and she gives homework every night.   Even on weekends.    If you get in trouble, she makes you sit beside her on the playground.   She won't let you play."

Jacob sat there thinking about the school work Heather gave him every morning and how she wouldn't let him leave the table until it was done.

Matt and Lucas looked at each other and then looked at Jacob.

"I bet that now that all that stuff's off your arm, she makes you do chores," Matt said.   "That's what happens to steps.   You're gonna be a step not her real kid."

Jacob sat and looked at them with big eyes.   They were all looking at him and nodding in agreement.   How did they know?  He thought back to just before lunch when Heather had asked him to go outside and bring in the laundry.   And just yesterday, she asked him to clean up his room and make his bed.

"Just wait til they start having babies," Lucas said, "My dad and stepmom had three babies.   The only thing that matters is the babies after that."

"What about your mom?" Brody asked.  "You never talk about her.   Where's she?"

"I don't have a mom.   My dad never ever talks about her.   I think she must be dead.   It's always been just me and my dad since I can remember," Jacob said quietly, digging the toe of his shoe into the sand.   He was very uncomfortable talking about his mother.

"My mom had a boyfriend.   His name was Doug," Sam said.   "Him and my mom had a whole list of rules I had to follow.   I had to clean my room every day and take the trash to the basement.    I guess he was nice but I liked it better when my mom and dad were together."

"See, chores.   I told ya," Matt said.

"Jake don't listen to them," said Emily.  "They don't know what they're talking about.   Miss Lisinski is nice."

"Shut up, Emily," her big brother, Woody, said, "You're just a little kid.   You don't know anything."

"You can't make me," Emily said, sticking her tongue out at them.   She turned around and smiled sweetly at Jacob.   "Would you push me on the swing?   Please?"

The boys looked at each other and groaned.   They all got up and followed Emily to the swings.   Jacob started pushing her.

"Are they gonna make you be in the wedding?   My mom made me walk her down to the preacher," Matt said, shaking his head.

"I don't know," Jacob said.  "Nobody has said anything about it."

Jacob noticed a group of kids walking towards them.   He knew the big kid.   It was Mikey Kelly and he was a bully.     Deke and Denis Mack were with him.    The Mack brothers were as big as Mack trucks.

Jacob whispered to Emily, "Stop the swing."

Mikey and his friends stopped in front of the swings.   Mikey walked up and pushed Emily off the swing.

"This is our playground.   You better go home," Mikey said, puffing up his 10 year old chest.

"Mikey, leave us alone," Emily said, angrily.

"No, little baby," Mikey said pushing her again.

Emily started to cry.

Jacob stepped in front of Emily, "Leave her alone."

"Who's gonna make me, Shrimp?" Mikey said, shoving his finger into Jacob's chest.

Jacob knew three things:

1) Today Mikey had come here to pick a fight,

2) There was gonna be a fight because Jacob Green wasn't gonna chicken out, even though he was gonna get his ass kicked,

and 3) His dad was gonna be really mad.

He never gave Mikey a chance to go through the whole insults and pushing part of the fight.   He drew back his fist and let fly.   There was a dull crack and blood started flowing from Mikey's nose.

*******************************************

 
It was starting to get dark when Jacob snuck up to the house.   If he was lucky no one would be in the living room.  If he could just get to the upstairs bathroom without anyone seeing his face and bloody shirt no one would know he had been fighting....at least not tonight.   He peeked in the window and saw that it was full of people.    He saw Jake look at his watch and then out the window.    He looked annoyed.    Jacob exhaled sharply and whispered, " Damnit to Hell." (something he had heard his father say many many times when things weren't going the way he wanted them to.)

Quietly, very, very quietly and carefully he cracked open the front door and peeked around the side.   His dad and Heather, his grandparents and Uncle Stanley and Miss Clark were all sitting in the living room.    He pulled his hood up as far as it would go so that his face was totally hidden.     Jacob waited until they were all talking about the wedding and then slid into the room and tiptoed to the staircase.    He had made it to the third step when his foot hit a creak.    Jake looked towards the staircase.    Jacob quickly turned his head towards the left and slowly continued up the stairs.

"Hey, you're late.   Dinner's over.   Where were you?" Jake asked.

"Um, it's ok.  I'm not hungry," Jacob said going up another step, trying to pull the hood further over his face.

Jake caught the whole hood thing.   He knew his son and knew something was up. "Why don't you come back downstairs," he said calmly.

"Uh... I'll be back down in a minute.   My shirt is uh...dirty... let me change.   I'll be right back," Jacob said, keeping his back to Jake and trying to go up another step.   He silently pulled the zipper all the way up on his jacket.

"No, come on down.   No one cares what your shirt looks like."

"Dad, it's really dirty.   Please.   I'll be right back," Jacob said, making it up one more step.

"Come here, Jacob, let me see your face and shirt."

Jacob dropped his head, let out a big sigh and very slowly backed down the steps and came to stand at the foot of the stairs.   His head was bowed and the hood of his jacket was pulled so far down no one could see any of his face.   "What?"

"Look at me," Jake said quietly.

"Why?" Jacob said just as quietly.

Jake pulled the hood back.    Jacob quickly ducked his head to the side.    Jake put his finger under Jacob's chin and tilted his face up into the light.

Stanley whistled a low whistle.    Jacob's eye was black, there was a small cut in his eyebrow, he had goose egg knot on his cheek bone, his nose had blood drying on one side and his lip was busted.

"Now that's impressive," Stanley said.

"Are you OK?  What happened?" Jake asked, with a disappointed sigh.

"I'm fine.   Can I go upstairs now?" Jacob asked, very embarrassed at all the attention.

"No," Jake said, motioning Jacob to the couch.   He looked over at Heather, "Would you mind getting a washcloth and the first aid kit?"

Jacob sat down and bowed his head

Jake crouched in front of him and tilted his face up again "Let me get a better look at this," he said, examining Jacob's face.    "I don't think we need an ambulance just yet."  

Heather handed Jake the washcloth and first aid kit.   She sat down beside Jacob and put her arm around him.     Gail took the washcloth out of Jake's hand and started washing the blood off Jacob's face and then she started dabbing the cuts with antiseptic.

Jacob pulled away and looked at Gail and pushed her hand away, "Gran that stings like a mofo."  There were snorts of badly concealed laughter from Johnston and Stanley.   Johnston knew it was wrong but he was very happy to hear it.   Jacob wasn't a "Nanny's boy", there was some Green in him after all.

"Hey," Jake said sharply, smacking Jacob's leg.   "Don't swear at your grandmother!   Now, what happened?" Jake asked his son again.

"Me and Brody and Matt and Sam and Woody and Emily were over at the playground.   Mikey Kelly and his gang came and started picking on Emily.   I like Emily.   She's a girl but she don't got cooties or nothin (everyone smiled) and she's fun to play with.   I told Mikey to leave her alone.    He wouldn't so I hit him.    We kinda got into a fight.   Mikey is bigger than me but I got in a few good ones before Deke and Denis pulled me off him and held my arms behind my back.   Mr. Hawkins made us stop.   Dad, I couldn't let them be mean to Emily.   She's a girl."

"Jake, Mikey Kelly and the Mack brothers are bullies. They were always in the office," Heather said.

Stanley smiled and looked at Jake, "Ya know, he's getting more like you by the day.   Does any of this sound familiar?   Maybe take you back a few years?   How many of those did you get?" he said pointing at Jacob's eye.

Jake smiled up at Stanley, "Don't remind me."

"Jacob," Johnston said, proudly smiling, "how bad did you beat him up?"  Jacob smiled shyly up at his grandfather.   Johnston winked back at him.

"DAD!" Jake said looking at him with shocked eyes, "don't encourage him."  

"Sorry, Jake.   I've met that Kelly kid.   He needed a good kick in the pants."  

Jake shook his head in disbelief.    He couldn't believe that Johnston Green had just said that.   This was not the man he had grown up with.

There was a knock at the door.   Johnston walked over and opened it to find Deputy Jimmy Taylor standing there with his children, Woody and Emily.

"Hi, Jimmy, come on in," Johnston said.   "We're just cleaning up Jacob."   He looked at Woody, who was also bruised and bloody.   "It looks like you might have been doing the same thing."

Jimmy walked into the living room and squatted in front of Jacob and held out his hand.

"I understand that you stood up for my little girl today.   Mikey Kelly and Deke and Denis Mack are big kids.   That took a lot of courage.  Thank you," he said, shaking Jacob's hand.

Jacob turned a deep shade of red, "You're welcome, Sir."

Emily ran up and hugged Jacob, kissed him on the cheek and said, "Thank you, Jakey.   I love you."

Jacob turned even redder, if possible.    His eyes got big with panic and he absently patted her shoulder.    The look on his face said, "HELP ME."

Jimmy looked at Jake, got a serious look on his face, looked at his daughter and then at Jacob, "OK, Jake, just how much is your boy like you?   Should I be concerned about my only daughter?" and then laughed.   "I grew up with you.   I remember how you were.   You had a few fights over girls if I remember correctly."

"Oh, I think your little girl's safe.   He's only eight.   I didn't get serious about girls til I was at least nine or ten," Jake said, chuckling.

Everyone laughed.   Jimmy got up and started walking towards the door, "I just wanted to stop by and make sure he was alright and tell him thanks.   We'll see you tomorrow."

After Jimmy and his children left, Mimi looked at Stanley and poked him in the chest, "Have you been paying attention?    That was chivalry at it's best.   A boy who will fight for the safety of his girl."

Stanley looked at her, put his arms her and smiled his most charming smile, "You can always go down to the playground and find yourself an eight year old boy."

He looked over at Jacob, "Do you think any of your friends would like Mimi?"

***************************************

A couple of hours later Jacob was sitting in the window seat in his room.   He had Harry Potter open in front of him but his mind was back at breakfast and at the playground replaying the conversations from today.

"Why does everyone think I need a mom?"  he thought.  "I don't need a mom.   Everything was fine the way it was.  Dad don't need a wife."

He drifted off to sleep.

******************************************

Jake walked down the hall with a towel around his waist.   No matter how many he took, he didn't think he would ever get used to the icy shower.

He went into the bedroom to see Heather sitting in front of the fireplace wearing his long sleeved white t-shirt and a pair of his flannel boxers.

"What are you doing?" he asked incredulously.

She was spreading wax in a thin strip up her calf.   She had just finished putting a cloth tape over the top of it when he walked in.   She blushed.

"Waxing my legs.   You're supposed to be in the shower."

"When the water is 10 degrees below absolute zero it doesn't take that long."

Heather took a deep breath took hold of one end and yanked.   She gave a tiny yelp of pain.

"Oh, it can't hurt that bad," he said laughing while pulling on a pair of sweatpants.

He walked over to the fire to try to warm up.

"Oh no, really?"   She smiled evilly and laughed.   Heather quickly pulled up the leg of his sweatpants and put a long trail of wax on his leg and covered it with a cloth.

"Try it."

He looked at the white strip on his leg.  "I think I'll just leave it there.   I don't ever need to wear shorts.   Jeans are a good thing."

"But why," Heather said laughing, "it doesn't hurt, right?"

He looked at her and smiled, took one end of the tape and yanked.   His eyes watered and he said in a small voice,  "Nope, doesn't hurt at all."

He pulled Heather into his arms, "It's a good thing I love you....or I might have to kill you for that," he said, lightheartedly.    He bent down and kissed her neck, "Now, I do believe these belong to me," he said while hooking his finger in the waistband of the flannel boxers she was wearing.

*******************************************

Jacob's head was leaning against the window.  He was sound asleep.   The Harry Potter book he had been reading slipped from his lap and hit the floor with a bang.   He awoke with a start and saw the same man moving quickly across the backyard.   Jacob jumped out of the window seat, shoved his feet into shoes, grabbed his hoodie and made a beeline for the door.

Jacob quietly ran down the stairs, avoiding the fourth one from the top because it creaked.    He was pulling his hoodie over his head when Heather came walking down the hall from the bathroom.

"Hey, whatcha doin'?" Heather said.   "It's late."  She looked down and noticed he was wearing shoes.  "Were you going outside?"

Jake heard voices and came out of the bedroom just as Heather asked Jacob about going outside.   He noticed the jacket and shoes too.

"Why are you going outside?"

Jacob ducked his head and shuffled from foot to foot, "Uh, I saw someone in the backyard again.    I was going to check it out."

Jake looked at him with disbelief, "You were going to check it out?   Jacob, it's 1:30 in the morning.   What makes you think you were going outside to check something out in the middle of the night?   The only thing you're going to check out is the pillow on your bed."

Heather looked at Jake and opened her mouth to say something but Jake put his fingers over her lips, took her hand and shook his head.

"We've been through all this before," Jake said, looking from Heather to Jacob, "haven't we?   No one is in the backyard.   It's a fenced yard.   I would have seen them outside our window.   No one is there.   What you're gonna do is go upstairs, get in bed and forget this nonsense."

Jacob glared at Heather, "Now you've gone and got me in trouble.  Thanks."   He took his hoodie off and threw it as hard as he could into the corner beside the front door.

"Ok. Enough," Jake said, barely controlling his anger.   "Go upstairs and go to bed."  Jacob exhaled sharply and spun around to go up the stairs.  "You can stay up there for the next week too.  No going out.   You're grounded."

Jacob shot them both a nasty glare, "Fine!" and stomped upstairs.

Jake looked at Heather, who was visibly upset, and said, "God!  I hate this.   I don't do this.   This has always been the Nanny's part of the job."    He took a deep breath and slowly followed Jacob up the stairs.   He hadn't been this angry in a long time.

He stood outside the bedroom for a minute to try to get his anger under control and opened the door.

Jacob was sitting on the edge of the bed pulling his pajama pants on.    He didn't acknowledge Jake being in the room.

"What's wrong with you?" Jake yelled.

"Nothing."


"If nothing's wrong then it won't be a problem to go downstairs and apologize to Heather.   Lets go."

"She's not my mother.  She can't ask me questions about what I'm doing," Jacob muttered lowly.

"I don't care if she's a perfect stranger.   You're not going to talk to anyone like that.   Let's go.   You're going to apologize," Jake said reaching for Jacob's arm.


Jacob jerked away, stood up, looked Jake in the eye, pulled the covers back, got in bed and pulled the blankets over his head.

Jake stood without saying a word and then let out an explosive breath.   He turned and stormed out of the bedroom and came face to face with his father.

"Jake," Johnston said, "what's going on?"

Jake shook his head, "Dad, now isn't a good time.   Everybody needs to cool off.   Especially me."   He walked past Johnston and went down the stairs.

*******************************************
Heather was sitting on the bed with her puzzle book when Jake came back in the bedroom, obviously still mad.    She was trying to appear calm.    She thought they should have gone outside and looked around but she would never tell Jake that.  

He started going thru the pockets of his coat and jeans.

"What are you looking for?" Heather asked quietly.

"Cigarettes.   I need to go outside and calm down."

"Jake," Heather said, trying to look calm, "you can't go outside now.   Not after telling Jacob it was too late.   That would send the wrong message.   If it's too late for him at almost 2 am then its too late for you.    I can guarantee he would know."

"You're right," he said resignedly, smiling tiredly at her.  "You're always right when it comes to kids.    Maybe I should turn him over to you.   You would do a better job."   Jake sat down on the bed beside her and leaned over with his head in his hands.    "I don't deal with discipline.    I'm more your fun, buy you things, good time dad.    The nanny dealt with discipline."    He slowly shook his head and quietly said,    "I'm gonna screw this up.....just like I do everything.   I screw up everything I touch.    You better run the other way."

She felt so sorry for Jake at that moment.   What a feeling it must be to think everything you touch got messed up.   She reached over and softly rubbed the back of his head and neck.

"Jake, that's nonsense.   You're not screwing anything up.   You're a good dad.   He's a little boy whose world has changed drastically and he is just as confused as the rest of us.   He's testing you, Jake.   He wants to know what his limits are."   She laughed quietly, "Have you ever noticed how he watches everything you do?   He wants to be just like his dear old dad, God help us.   He'll be wiring mine entrances and bridges with dynamite before he's 12 if we don't watch it."

Jake smiled at her, "I don't know if the world is big enough for two Jake Greens."

"Well the world is right here.   Jericho, Kansas is the whole world right now.   I think it can handle both of you."    Heather hugged him, "Jake, an eight year old temper tantrum and a guilty father is not going to run me off.    I love you.   Let me help you.   We'll do this together.   You're not going to screw me up, us up or Jacob up.   I won't let you."

He leaned into her, "Alright, I'll take your word on that."

"Besides," Heather said, trying to lighten the mood, "we gotta have the whole discipline thing worked out before we have five or six more kids.   I'm not going to be bad cop to your good cop for the next 20 or so years!"

"Now that's a stretch of the imagination," Jake laughed.  "I bet Jimmy and Bill are waking up from nightmares right now at the thought of Jake Green being called a good cop."    

He put his arms around her and kissed her cheek, "Five or six kids, huh.   We're gonna be very busy.   Where are you planning on putting that many kids?"

"I was thinking we would fix up the ranch house and live out there.    I love the ranch house."

"You really have been thinking about this haven't you?    We'll go out one day and look around and see how bad a shape it's in.   Ya know, I don't think I've ever thought more than a week ahead.    I've always been your basic fly by the seat of my pants kinda guy.   This planning thing has potential though.   When exactly were you wanting to start our project?"

"I think we should be married first.    It's the preacher's daughter in me.   I want to be married before we get pregnant.   Is that OK?"

"Yeah," he said, softly smiling.   "Whatever you want is OK with me.  It's really late, why don't we get some sleep."    

********************************************

 
Jake and Heather walked into the kitchen the next morning.    Johnston and Gail were sitting at the table talking quietly.

Gail looked up and smiled, "Good morning.  Coffee?"

"Thanks," Jake said, pouring two cups.   "Where's Jacob?  He's usually up by now."

Just then Jacob shuffled into the kitchen, yawning.    He sat down in the chair beside Johnston, laid his head down on the table and closed his eyes.    

Johnston slid his coffee mug over in front of Jacob and winked at him, "This'll help."

Jacob looked at the mug, "Thanks, Grandpa," he said with a big yawn.

Jake looked at Johnston, "Dad, you're giving an eight year old black coffee?"

"Yep, he likes it.   It ain't gonna hurt him."

Jacob glared at Jake, "Is there anything you'll let me do now?   I'm grounded for forever.  Now I can't even drink coffee?" he yelled.   He picked the coffee cup up and took a big drink and banged it back down on the table.

"What is with you all of a sudden?   You're being a brat."

Jacob opened his mouth and then thought better of it.   He shoved his chair back and stomped out of the room.

Gail looked at Johnston and then over at Jake and looked at the backdoor.    She got up and tapped Heather on the shoulder, "Let's go upstairs and talk about the wedding."

******************************************

Johnston stood up and put his hand on Jake's shoulder, "Let's go outside.   We need to talk."

Jake knew this was inevitable....he had been waiting on this father/son chat since September.   He exhaled deeply, stood up and followed his father out to the porch and sat down on the steps.

"Alright, Jake, I respected you last night and didn't say anything.   What's going on?"

"Dad, I honestly don't know.    He was never like this at home.    Smart mouth occasionally but never like this."

"Jake, can you honestly say you knew what he was like in San Diego?   From what I'm getting it sounds like you weren't around much.   Do you even know that boy?"

"I was a single man trying to raise my kid.   I had to provide for him.   My job took me away.   I did the best I could."

"That woman who was raising him, she's done a good job.   She made him toe the line.   You aren't doin' that.   He's all out of sorts because he doesn't know what he can and can't do.   You've got to be a good father.....not a guilty father.    Jake, who's Sara?  Was she your wife?"

"Wha....What? Sara?  How did you find out about Sara?   No, she wasn't my wife.   I'm not married.   Never have been.   Sara was someone who was over before I left San Diego."

Johnston came over, sat down beside Jake and put his hand on the back of Jake's neck.

"Fatherhood is hard, Jake.   I know I've made it look easy all these years, but it's hard," Johnston said with a chuckle and wry smile.   Jake smiled at this too.   "There's not a tougher job.   It's time you step up the plate and get started.   Set limits.    Let him know what's OK.   He's beggin' to know.   It's time to quit being his friend....be his father.   Let the guilt go."

"If I'm readin' Heather right, and I think I am, she is more than willin' to help you.   Let her.   You better have this thing figured out and soon.    I heard your mother and Heather talking yesterday.    Heather is planning on lots of kids.   Last thing you want is a houseful of kids doin' to you what Jacob just did.   You gotta get this in hand, now."

"Son, you know that your mother and I are always here but we ain't gonna raise him.   That's your job."  

"I don't know what to do.   I'm clueless.   I've never had to deal with this, Dad.   Kate did all of it.    I played, she disciplined.   It was a good system.....I thought.    What do I do?"

"You go talk to your boy.   Don't put it off.   The longer it festers the worse it gets.  Go on.   Remember, talk to him...not at him.   Tell him what's expected.   He'll do it...eventually.   It might take 32 years but he'll do it."

Johnston looked at Jake and smiled, "You know, I would never admit this to your mother but I have a real problem with that.   Talking at people instead of to them.   I'm sure you never noticed."

Jake looked at Johnston with disbelief.    In his whole life he had never ever expected such an admission from his father.    He smiled tightly at his dad and thought, "Maybe we ain't so far apart" and got up.   He hesitated at the back door, took a deep breath and went in the house.

*****************************************
An hour later Gail and Heather heard laughing come from Jacob's bedroom.    They walked down the hall and peeked in and saw Jake and Jacob were laying on the bed talking and laughing.

"So, is everything better?" Gail asked.

"Everything is good.  Right?" Jake asked Jacob.

"Yeah," Jacob said smiling at his grandmother.    Jacob got off the bed and tried to weave his way between Gail and Heather, "Excuse me.... Mom," he said and started giggling.

Heather was shocked but tried to cover it with a big smile, "Your excused, Son," she said, smiling and bent down and kissed his cheek.

"Yuck!" Jacob yelled and ran down the stairs.

Jake got off the bed with a relieved smile on his face.    He walked over and put his arm around Heather's shoulders and squeezed.   He sighed a huge sigh of relief and laughed quietly.

"What did you say to him?" Gail asked, chuckling.

"This and that," Jake said, bending down and kissing Heather.

"Dad!!" Jacob bellowed up the stairs, "Deputy Taylor wants to talk to you."

*****************************************

Jake, Heather and Gail walked down the stairs.   Jimmy was standing just inside the door.

"I have my own personal bull horn," Jake said, laughing.

"Don't we all?" Jimmy smiled, "Calvin Lawrence can't pull his shift at patrol and I was wondering if you're busy this afternoon?"

He looked at Heather and raised his eyebrows in question.

"I don't have anything planned.  Go ahead," Heather said.

"Let me grab my jacket," Jake said to Jimmy.    

He looked at Jacob, "Remember, you're grounded."

****************************************

"Alright," Johnston said, a few minutes after Jake left, "I'm going out to look for a deer.   I'll be back later."   He picked up his rifle and walked out the back door.   They heard the truck start and pull out of the driveway.

Gail looked at Heather and in a perfect imitation of her son, bit her bottom lip, "Heather, I hate to ask you this.   I have a volunteer shift at the medical clinic this afternoon.   I didn't expect Jake to be gone.   Would you mind staying with Jacob?"

Heather looked out the back door and saw Jacob throwing the ball for the dog to fetch.   She smiled, "No, I don't mind at all."    She thought this was a perfect time for a jail break.

*****************************************

Hours later, Jake walked in the front door to find an empty house.    There had just been a hell of a storm and he had expected to see everyone in the living room.   But there was no one.

He saw a note taped to the front of his and Heather's bedroom door.    

In her perfect teacher's printing he read

1:30pm
Dear Jake,
I have taken Jacob with me out to the ranch.   We are having a science field trip for school.   We're also going to look around the house.    

See you this evening!!

Love you,
Heather

Jake looked at his watch.   It was 6:30 pm.   They should have been home hours ago.

To be continued........

******************************************

Thanks for reading my newest chapter.   Feedback is always welcome and appreciated!!!

For anyone who doesn't know what In N Out Burgers is...its a California landmark....

http://www.in-n-out.com/
http://www.tiburon-belvedere.com/cgi/home.cgi?c=In_N_Out

Chapter 16: Storm on the Plains by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.   I am not affilated in any way with Star Magazine or Kate and Ryder Hudson....they just fit the scene.

Special thanks and credit again goes to Marzee.   She is a joy to work with!


****************************

Storm on the Plains, Part 1
Jake had left with Jimmy for an extra patrol shift, Johnston had gone to spend some time alone in his deer stand and Gail was volunteering at the medical center for the afternoon.    The only people at home were Heather and Jacob.    Heather smiled to herself.   It was a perfect time for a jailbreak.

Heather stood at the kitchen window watching Jacob throw the ball for Dreyfuss.   It didn't seem like that dog ever got tired of bringing it back.   She didn't know what Jake had said to Jacob earlier but the boy's whole attitude had changed.

She walked out on the back porch and sat down on the steps.

"Jacob," Heather said, waving him over, "do you feel like a field trip?"

"A field trip?" he asked.   "Heather there's nowhere in Jericho to take a field trip.   There's nothing fun here."

"Well, I thought we might go out to the ranch."

"But what about Dad?   Won't he be mad?   I'm grounded, remember?"

"I don't think he'll be mad if it's for science class.   Surely you have a burning science question that can only be answered at the ranch?"

He smiled hesitantly at her, "Are you mad at me?   I'm sorry I was rude last night," he said, ducking his head.

She reached over and turned his face so they were looking at each other, brushed his very long bangs out of his eyes and smiled at him, "Honey, I was never mad at you.   Why don't we forget the whole thing?"

His whole body relaxed and he let out a held breath, "Ok."

She ran her fingers through his hair.   It was amazingly thick and very long.

"We need to cut your hair before summer or you'll burn up.   When was the last time it was cut?"

He looked at her with shocked eyes, "Heather, only Mr. Joshua, the Hair God, is allowed to cut my hair.   That's Nana's rules.    She says no one else can do anything with it.   Nana says everyone else makes me look like a Kansas hillbilly.   I can't get my hair cut til we go back home and Mr. Joshua does it."

Heather smiled sadly, "OK.   I didn't know about Mr. Joshua.   I think you'll change your mind by July.   You can pull it back in a ponytail til you decide to cut it.    Instead of a Kansas hillbilly you can look like Ryder Hudson."

"Who?

"You know, Kate Hudson's son.    He has really long hair.   Looks like a girl....." Heather saw total confusion on Jacob's face.   "Never mind, I guess you don't read Star magazine."

They sat in silence for a few minutes, enjoying the spring sunshine.

"Hey," Jacob said, "how bout we go look for snakes at the creek.   That's science, ain't it?"

"Snakes?" Heather asked, squeamishly.

"Yeah, snakes, frogs, lizards, turtles, that kinda thing.  Grandpa said there's a creek and a cave in the woods out at the ranch."

"You know we don't actually have to touch them, right?"  Heather said, shuddering at the thought of reptiles.    "Jacob, I will not pick up a snake or a lizard."

"Come on, don't act like a girl.   It'll be fun."

Heather laughed and got up, "Ok, let's go.   But, Jake, I will not pick up anything slimy.   Got it?"

Jacob laughed and his eyes twinkled with mischievousness, "Heather, snakes and lizards are not slimy."

They grabbed jackets, hats and backpacks and headed out the front door.

"Wait," Heather said, stopping on the front porch.   "I need to leave your Dad a note."

**********

They stopped at the medical center on their way out of town to tell Gail where they were going.

Jacob and Heather stopped at the front desk, "Excuse me?" Jacob asked.

Nurse Rebecca Lawson looked up with a smile.   When she saw who it was her smile faltered but she quickly recovered, "Yes, can I help you?"

"Yes, please, we need to know where we can find my grandmother."

Gail had come up behind them and watched the whole interaction.    She had been keeping her eyes on Nurse Lawson ever since the night of Jacob's accident when she had overheard her and Jake's private conversation revealing the fact that Rebecca was Jacob's mother.

"How about right here behind you," Gail said, smiling at Jacob and Heather.   "What are you two doing here?   Is everything alright?   I thought Jacob was on house arrest."

"We decided to take a school field trip.   We're going to go out to the ranch house and look around and then head to the creek and look for slimy things."

"Snakes aren't slimy.   I told ya," Jake said.

"That sounds like fun," Gail said, kissing Jacob on the forehead.  "Did you grab the keys for the house?"

"No, I thought we would just look around outside," Heather said, putting her hands on Jacob's shoulders.   She leaned down so that their heads were level, looked up at Gail and whispered, "We're really just bustin' out of jail."

Gail smiled and whispered, "I know.   I've done it myself a time or two.   I won't tell the warden."      

They all laughed.

"Wait," Gail said, "let me get my purse.   I have a key for the house on my key ring.   It's ridiculous to go all the way out there without going in."

"Thanks!" Heather said, excitedly.

Heather and Jacob walked to the door.   They turned and waved.  

"See ya in a little while," Jacob said.

Rebecca Lawson looked at Gail, "Is that Jake's wife?"

"Yes," Gail said, smiling, "well it'll be official in a few weeks but they might as well be.    It's like she's my daughter.    She couldn't love Jacob more if she had given birth to him.   And he just adores her.    Do you know my son?"

"I used to, a long time ago.   I'm sure he doesn't remember me.    They make a cute family," Rebecca said quietly.   She picked the chart up for the next patient.

"Yes, the do," Gail said, with a tight smile.

**********

Twenty minutes later they were making the turn to go out to the ranch house.

Heather stopped the truck and looked at Jacob, "How adventurous do you feel?"

"I don't know.   Why?" Jacob asked suspiciously.

"Wanna learn to drive?   This is a private drive so there won't be anyone else out here.   Want to give it a go?"

"Sure," Jacob said, his eyes bright with excitement.

"Have you ever driven before?"

"My Uncle Mike has a dune buggy.   He let me and Joey drive it on the beach sometimes.   I can drive a go cart too."

Heather smiled at seeing how excited Jacob was.   "This'll be a little different.  Let's trade places."

Jacob slid over to the driver's seat.

"Do you know what all the pedals are?" Heather asked.

Heather spent the next few minutes giving a lesson on driving a stick shift.

"Ok," she said, "let's give it a try.   Push the clutch all the way in.   All the way, it's kinda hard.   Now put it in gear and slowly slowly let your foot off the clutch and give it a little gas."

They spent the next 15 minutes hopping and sputtering down the driveway to the ranch house.   By the time they got there they were laughing so hard tears were running down their faces.

"Drivers Education and science class.   See there was a good reason to leave the house," Heather said, still hiccupping with laughter.

**********

They got out of the truck and walked up to the back door of the ranch house.   Heather fished in her jeans pocket, found the key and opened the back door.    They walked into the kitchen.    There were still flowers scattered around the room.   Jacob looked around the room and looked at Heather with raised eyebrows.

"Your Dad and I had dinner here Friday night."

"Oh, ok," he said, shaking his head.

They walked through the house.   It was definitely in need of repair but all in all it seemed sound.    There were four large bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs.   Heather thought it was perfect and fell in love with it even more.   She started making mental notes of what to do in each room and possible colors of paint (if any paint could be found).

She was pulled out of her mental redecorating when Jacob came in the room carrying a bat and baseball glove.

"Whatcha got there?" Heather asked.

"I found this bat and glove in the closet.   Look, it's got my dad's name on it," Jacob said, holding the glove out for Heather to see.

Heather looked and saw an old ball glove with Jake written in childish handwriting.

"Your grandmother told me that Jake played baseball very well.   He played on the Jericho team every year until he graduated from high school."

"Really?" Jacob said, "I like baseball too.   Dad never told me that.   Think it would be alright if I brought these home with me?"


"I don't see why not.   Did you find anything else?" Heather asked.

"I found some comic books in a box.   They're not scary ones, I promise.   They're Superman, Batman and the Hulk.   I'm gonna take those too, OK?"

"Let's take them out of the box and make sure there's no mice ick and then we'll put them in the truck."

They took them down to the front porch and put them in a milk crate that Heather had in the back of the truck.

"Hey, let's go look for this creek you were talking about," Heather said.   "We'll do some science and head home."

They grabbed jackets and started walking across the field behind the house.

"Heather," Jacob said, tying his jacket around his waist, "I'm really hot.  Will you help me pull my hair back?   I can't do it good since I gotta cast."

"Um hmm.   It's only gonna get worse.    You better let me cut it," she said, reaching into her pocket.    She pulled out a lavender hair band.

"Heather, that's kinda sissy.   I can't wear lavender."

"It's all I have," she said, "sorry."

He narrowed his eyes in a perfect imitation of Jake, "OK, but don't tell anybody."

"My lips are sealed," Heather said smiling.  "Turn around."   She quickly pulled his hair into a ponytail and then put it thru the hole in the back of his baseball cap.

He reached back and felt his hair, "Heather!  That's how girls do it.   Don't do it like that!"   He pointed to the base of his neck.   "Just put it there, not high up like a girl," he said indignantly.

Heather redid it, exactly as requested, trying not to laugh.

He felt again, "Thanks," he said, turning his Padres cap around backwards.

He bent down, grabbed a rock, threw it up in the air and hit it with his newly acquired bat, "I play baseball at home.    I play shortstop and second base.   Well, I used to anyway."

Neither of them noticed the banks of thunderheads starting to form in the Southwest.

Heather pointed towards the woods ahead of them, "Is that where the creek is?"

"I think so," Jacob said, running ahead.

Heather turned around.   She couldn't see the house anymore.    She couldn't believe how far they had come.   It made her a bit nervous.

"Hea-ther, come on," Jacob shouted.

She smiled at her soon to be son and hurried after him.

The creek was beautiful.   Water was pouring over rocks.   It could have been a really relaxing place if there wasn't an eight year old throwing rocks.    "I'll have to remember this place when Jake and I come out here," she thought with a smile.

Beside the creek was a hill with an irregular opening to the cave Jacob had mentioned earlier.     They put their jackets on a rock beside the cave.

Heather sat down on a rock and closed her eyes.    She missed the very mischievous glint that came into Jacob's eyes.

"Heather," she heard in a laughing, sing song voice.

"Hmm?" she said without opening her eyes.

"Oh, Heather," she heard again, a little louder.

"What?" she asked.

"Heather," she heard right in her ear.

She opened her eyes and saw a large green frog an inch from her face.    Heather let out a scream that could have woken the dead and jumped backwards, right off the rock.    Jacob collapsed in laughter.

"OK, Miss Lisinski, science teacher, what kind of frog is that?" Jacob asked, continuing to laugh.

"One that almost gave me a heart attack!" she said, still trying to catch her breath.

The wind picked up and there was a distant rumble of thunder.   Jacob instantly stopped laughing and looked at the sky with a nervous look.

Heather knew how afraid he was of storms.   She looked up and saw the angry looking sky.   She put her hand on Jacob's arm and he jumped.

"Come on," she said, taking his hand, "let's head back to the house.   We may get a little wet but if we hurry we'll miss the storm."

There was another rumble of thunder.   It was a lot louder.

"Nooooo," Jacob said in a small voice, "we can't go out there."

"Honey," Heather said, trying to sound calm, "we can't stay in the woods.    It's not safe.   Come on.   Let's go home."

There was a deafening clap of thunder and a streak of lightening that left negative imprints on their eyes.    The sky was a very unhealthy green color now.    The wind had turned vicious.    It started to rain and hail.

Jacob was frozen in place.   His face a mask of fear.   Heather was scared but she wasn't going to let Jacob see it.   He was scared enough.   With the way the sky looked, Heather was afraid there could be a tornado.

"Jacob," Heather said, getting down eye level with him, "Jacob," she said, giving him a small shake, "we've got to go in the cave.   We've gotta get out of this storm.   We've got to go now."

She pulled him towards the cave, shoved him through the entrance and ran in after him.    The last thing Heather saw before running inside the cave was a funnel cloud forming.    She heard the tell tale sound of a freight train.    Heather knew what was coming.    She pushed Jacob down and laid on top of him, trying to protect him any way she could.    She felt him shaking under her.    She murmured nonsense things to him trying to calm him.    Rain, dirt and leaves blew in through the opening with a force that stung.   After 20 minutes the fury of the storm moved past them leaving a gentle rain.    Heather and Jacob sat up.   Jacob still had tears running down his face.

They got up and brushed themselves off.   Just as they started to walk towards the cave opening, there was an ominous tremble under their feet.   The hillside above them gave away, collapsing the entrance.

Chapter 16 B, Storm on the Plains

Jake pulled up in front of the house.   It had been long afternoon and he was ready for a shower, dry clothes and dinner.    He had gotten soaked during the storm earlier.   Wet jeans were just not comfortable.    

He turned the door knob and found it locked.   "Why is the door locked?" he wondered.  That was definitely not something he had expected.   He fished his keys out of his pocket and opened the door.  The living room was cold and empty.     There had been a bad storm earlier, maybe it had gotten worse here than out on the edge of town, Jake thought.      He wondered if they were in the basement.    Jake started towards the kitchen, where the basement door was, and noticed there was a note taped to his and Heather's bedroom door.

In Heather's perfect block teacher's writing:

03/19/07 1:30pm

Dear Jake,

I have taken Jacob with me out to the ranch. We are having a science field trip for school. We're also going to look around the house.

See you this evening!!

Love you,
Heather

Jake looked at his watch.   It was 6:30.    They should have been back hours ago.  

He went in the bedroom, quickly changed into dry clothes and left the house.   The only thing on his mind was making sure Heather and Jacob were OK.    Jake stopped at the medical clinic on his way out to the ranch.

He walked in and saw his mother at the desk, "Mom, have you seen Jacob and Heather?   They're not at home."

"Not home?  Where are they?" Gail asked.

"I don't know.   There was a note saying they were at the ranch but they should have been home hours ago."

"They're not home yet?   They stopped by here on the way out of town.  They were headed out to the creek to look for snakes.     Are you sure they're not at the house."

"Pretty sure, Mom."

Johnston walked up behind Gail, "What's going on, Jake."

"Jacob and Heather went out to the ranch this afternoon and their not home yet."

"Well lets me and you head out there.   Let's not worry yet.   She probably just had car trouble.    I bet they're in house waitin' for someone to come get them.    Let's go," he said picking up his hat.   "Gail, we'll be home in a little while."

Rebecca walked over to Gail, "Is everything alright?   Is your grandson hurt?"

"I'm sure everything is just fine, Dear," Gail said.   "There is absolutely no reason for you to worry."

**********

"Jake," Johnston said, getting settled in the car, "where did you do patrol at this afternoon?"

"East side of town, out near Tacoma Bridge.  Why?"

"Well, I didn't want to say anything in front of your mother, she worries enough, but that storm that came thru here today was really bad out on the other side of town.   It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't some twisters out that way.  The sky was that green color.    Without the Weather Channel we'll probably never know unless someone specifically tells us.    We need to stop and get Stanley, in case we need some help."

"Dad, you don't think their hurt do you?"

"Jake, I didn't say that.   I said in case we need some help lifting.  Don't borrow trouble.   But, uh, just in case why don't you step on it."

Jake listened to his father and roared out of town.   They stopped at the Richmond's and picked up Stanley.      There were trees ripped up and tossed around all the way down the driveway to the ranch.   It definitely looked like something had come thru here.    The house didn't look like it had been touched.   Heather's truck was covered in wet leaves but otherwise looked ok.    There were trees down around it but nothing had actually hit the truck.    

Jake checked the doors on the house.    Both were locked.     Stanley pulled open the door for the storm shelter but it was empty.    

"Where the Hell are they?" Jake asked, to no one in particular.   "They couldn't have just disappeared."

"I think they went out to the creek," Johnston said, bending down and picking something up.

"The creek!? Why do you think so?" Jake asked.

"I found these," Johnston said, handing Jake a wet, muddy, ripped Padres baseball cap and two gum wrappers.   "The cap was tangled in that barb wired fence and the gum wrappers were stomped in a foot imprint of a small shoe.... looks like one Jacob would be wearing."

"Let's go," Jake said, starting to run for the gate.

Johnston grabbed his arm and pulled him back, "Wait, you don't have any idea what's out there.   Did you bring a gun?"

Jake pulled a pistol out of his jacket pocket, "Never leave home without one."

He walked back to his car, opened the trunk and handed Johnston and Stanley each a shotgun.

They quickly walked  into the field and towards the woods.   The ground was a mangled mess of churned up dirt, tree limbs and wet leaves.    Trees that had once stood in the field were either laying on the ground with roots exposed or snapped in half.    A black singed circle was in the middle of one hill where lightening had struck the ground.

"Why the hell did they come out here," Jake thought, getting more scared the farther they got and the more damage they saw.    He started jogging faster and faster towards the creek.    

"Jake you need to slow down so we can keep up.    If you step in a hole and break your ankle you ain't gonna help anything.    Now slow down."

Jake slowed down for about 10 steps and then he started jogging again.   By the time the creek was in site, he was at a dead run.

The creek was a muddy mess.    In the dim light that remained Jake could see the cave entrance had collapsed under a mud slide.      There were muddy footprints everywhere.   He recognized the Nike imprints of both Heather and Jacob's shoes.   They had been here... where were they now?

Stanley had been over looking at the mudslide.   He looked up at Jake with a sick expression on his face.  

"Jake, what were they wearing?" Stanley asked quietly.

"I don't know.  Why?"

"What color coats do they wear Jake? Think!" Stanley yelled at him.

"Heather's is pink fleece and Jacob has a bright blue jacket with Gap across the front."  

"What's over there?   Why are you asking me that question?"

Stanley pulled two muddy, ripped jackets out of the mudslide, one pink and one blue.   He bent down and picked up one small white and red shoe.

Jake felt kicked in the stomach, "Oh God no," he whispered, in a voice that ripped Johnston's heart out.

He ran towards Stanley before Johnston could grab him.   He jerked the jackets out of Stanley's hands.   He bent his head into them and fell to his knees.    Stanley squeezed his shoulder, tears running down his face.

Jake threw the jackets aside and jerked away from Stanley's hand, "NO!  They're OK," he said in a desperate voice.    He started digging in the mud with his hands.  

Stanley looked at Jake, "Jake, what are you doing?"

Johnston ran over, knelt down beside his son and started scooping mud, "Stanley go get some men and lanterns and shovels.   We have to save my daughter and grandson."

**********

Chapter 16 C, Storm on the Plains


Heather and Jacob grabbed on to each other so they didn't fall from the force of the mudslide.    All light was gone now.   Nothing came through.

"Jacob, are you alright?" Heather asked.   "I can't see anything.   Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm OK," he said in a small voice.

"I don't have a light of any kind.   I guess we just stay here til someone comes for us.  Here sit down beside me," Heather said, trying to pull Jacob down beside her.

"I have a flashlight," Jacob said.   "It's one of those shake kind."

Heather sensed him pulling something out of his back pocket.   All of a sudden there was a small beam of light.

"Thank God for eight year old boys," Heather said, hugging Jacob to her.

She took the light from him and shined it around the room.    There was a passage leading further into the hill.    She looked over at Jacob and took his hand.

"Honey, I don't know what to do.   We can sit here and wait for I don't know how long or we can go that way and see if we can get out.   I don't know what's down there.    I don't know if anything is down there at all.   I don't know if it's safe.   What do you want to do?"

"I don't want to just sit here.   Let's go," Jacob said.

"Jacob, where's your shoe?"

Jacob looked down at his feet with a surprised look on his face.  

"I guess I lost it."  

"Why don't you take that one off and tie it to your belt loop.   When we get out of here, we'll go back to the creek and find the other one."

They walked for about an hour.   The passages twisted and turned and split off.   They tried to stay as straight as they could but before long they were hopelessly lost.    

They came to an area where several passages came together.

"Why don't we rest.   We'll try to figure out what to do next," Heather said.  

Heather leaned her head back against the wall and closed her eyes.   She felt wind on the right side of her face.

"Jacob, I think I feel a breeze.   Be still and tell me what you think."

"Yeah, it's coming from that way," he said, pointing to the opening to the right.

"Let's go that way then.   Maybe we can get out.   I bet everyone is worried to death."

They hurried down the passage.   They got to a bend and discovered a slit in the rocks about 5 inches wide.   That's where the breeze was coming from.   There was no way out.

Heather bowed her head and leaned against the wall and started to cry.  

Jacob looked at her and put his hand in hers, "Don't cry.   We'll be ok."

Just then the flashlight went out.   The sudden lack of light was startling.    Jacob's eyes slowly adjusted and he noticed there was a very faint light ahead.

"Heather, look.   There's light."

She smiled at him, "Thank God.   Maybe we can get out."

"But, Heather, we don't know who it is?"

"Let's be careful then."

They slowly walked towards the light.   At the next bend they stopped.   Jacob slowly peeked around the corner.   He motioned Heather to follow.    They walked out into another place where several passages met.   There were supplies everywhere.   Water, blankets and food was piled up.     Jacob turned around and looked at Heather with a big smile on his face.    He ran over to the far passage and reached for a bottle of water.    A buzzing rattle came from behind the case.

Heather gasped.   She knew what that sound was.....a rattlesnake.

"Jacob, don't move.   Don't even breath," Heather whispered.

Suddenly out of the darkness of the passage a voice yelled, "Jesus, Kid, don't move."   Jacob was suddenly yanked into the air and a gun went off.

To be continued......

Chapter 17: Far From Home by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

Special thanks to Marzee, Nightsky and JT.    They are great to work with.   I don't think I could have gotten this one done without them!!!


**********     **********     **********

An hour passed, Jake and Johnston continued to dig with their bare hands. Jake's fingernails were ripped and broken and his hands were bleeding from small cuts. It seemed for every handful they scooped out two more slid down to fill the hole.

Johnston looked over at Jake. He saw a man in agony. His eyes were red rimmed and full of tears but none fell. Johnston watched Jake continue to grimly scoop mud and rocks.

Finally, they heard horns honking. Johnston looked up and saw an ambulance and three cars driving across the field.

"Thank God," Johnston said in relief, "Jake, hold on, Son, help's almost here."

Jake looked over his shoulder, gave a deep sigh and slumped down on his knees.

Gail, Eric, Jimmy, Bill, Rob Hawkins, Stanley, Roger, Emily, and Dr. Dhuwalia got out of the vehicles. Gail ran over to Jake and put her arms around him. Jake allowed himself to lean into his mother and let his mask of control down, just briefly.

"I can't find them, Mom," he said, with a tear rolling down each side of his face.

She kissed him on the temple and squeezed his shoulder, "We will, Jake. We will."

Jake allowed himself a deep sigh. He closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them, Gail saw dead, guarded eyes ringed in vicious red.

He got up and slowly walked over to Stanley's truck and grabbed a shovel. Johnston was directing the rescue.

Rob Hawkins broke away and walked over, "What happened, Jake?"

"I don't know," Jake answered quietly. "It looks like Heather and Jacob came out here while I was on patrol. We know they were here. Their footprints are everywhere. We don't know for sure, but it looks like a twister came through here. There used to be an entrance to a cave under all that mud. We're thinking they at least tried to get in there."

"You don't know for sure they're in there though, right?"

"No, but that's where Stanley found their jackets and the shoe."

"Has anyone walked down the creek to see if they might be in the woods?"

"No."

"Ok. I'm going to check that out. I'll be back."

Dr. Kenchy Dhuwali had been talking with Gail over by the ambulance. He saw Hawkins leave and walked over to Jake, "Hello, Jake, are you holding up alright?"

"No," he said in a quiet, dead voice.

Kenchy reached out, "Let me look at your hands," he said, taking Jake's hands and examining them. "Why don't you go rest for a while? Let men who are fresh dig for a while. I can give you something to sleep."

Jake had seen him talking to Gail minutes earlier and he knew they trying to get him to leave in case Jacob and Heather were...... "NO"  he wouldn't think about that. There was no way in Hell he was leaving.

"Thanks, Kenchy, but I'm fine," Jake said. He picked up the shovel and walked over to the hill and started digging.

Gail picked the two coats up off the ground and hugged them to her before folding them neatly and placing them on a rock. She bent down and pick up the small shoe. Tears started flowing down her face. Emily walked over and held something out. It was Jacob's ballcap.

"Johnston gave me this to give to you. He didn't want it to get lost."

Gail broke down and started sobbing. Emily put her arm around her and led her away from the digging. She picked the coats and the shoe up.

"Let's put this stuff in the car." Emily said, "They'll need these when we find them."

Robert Hawkins came back into the circle of lantern light. He looked and Jake and shook his head, "There's nothing down that way."

Jake nodded grimly.

Johnston walked over with a bottle of water, "Here, Son, it's time to take a break."

"No, I can't. I'm fine," Jake said, starting to dig again.

"You can and you're going to. It'll do them no good if you kill yourself. Now sit down and drink this."

Jake sat down and bowed his head with exhaustion. Emily came over and sat down beside him. She took his hand and squeezed it lightly.

"How ya holdin' up?" Emily asked.

"I'm OK," Jake said quietly.

"Yeah, right," she said with a sad smile. "Your mother's in the car. Why don't you take her home. Someone will come get you when they find them."

Jake reached into his jeans pocket and pulled out his wallet. He opened it and handed Emily two small pictures. One was a grinning, dimpled blonde baby picture of Jacob. The other was a picture of him in a soccer uniform with his foot balanced on a soccer ball.

"That's why. I can feel them, Emily. They need me. They're in trouble and need help. I've disappointed Jacob enough in his eight years. I'm not gonna let him down again.   Jacob and Heather. They're my family.   I can't leave."

Emily looked at him with tears in her eyes and nodded in understanding. She handed him his pictures back.

Jake put the pictures back in his wallet and put the wallet back in his front pocket. He smiled grimly at her, finished his water, picked up the shovel and went back to work.

An hour later, Eric's shovel broke through. There was a yell of triumph from everyone. Jake put his head and chest through the hole and shined the flashlight around. There was no one there. He cursed in frustration. His flashlight picked up two things: a gum wrapper and footprints leading back into the cave.


**********

They followed the footprints until the floor turned to rock and they couldn't see them anymore.

Johnston had been trying to convince Jake that it was time to call a halt, but Jake wasn't listening.

"Jake, we can't explore this cave tonight," Johnston said. "It's after midnight. We're running out of lantern fuel and these flashlights aren't strong enough. We don't want to destroy footprints floundering around in the dark."

Johnston tried to grab Jake's arm but Jake jerked away.

"Dad, this is my family. I can't just leave them. Who know's what might be in there. What if they're hurt."

"Stanley, try to talk some sense into him," Johnston said, tiredly.

"Jake your dad's right. We'll go home and come back in a couple of hours with Jimmy's bloodhound. The trail will still be fresh. If you go in there tonight all you're gonna do is wipe out tracks and confuse the dog. Come on," Stanley said, reaching for Jake's arm.

Jake shoved Stanley back and looked at them both, "You don't understand. This is my kid and my wife. I will not leave here without them," Jake said hoarsely.

He broke away from them and started walking back towards the cave. Stanley and Johnston both tried to grab him. Johnston missed but Stanley caught his shoulder. Jake jerked his arm away, drew back and punched Stanley in the face.

"Leave me alone," Jake said dangerously.

No one paid attention to Dr. Dhuwalia. He slowly and quietly walked behind Jake and quickly and matter of factly sunk a hypodermic needle into Jake's upper arm.

********** ********** **********

Jacob looked at Heather with a big smile on his face and reached for a bottle of water. A buzzing rattle came from behind the case.

Heather gasped. She knew what that sound was.....a rattlesnake.

"Jacob, don't move. Don't even breathe," Heather whispered.

Suddenly out of the darkness of the passage a voice yelled, "Jesus, Kid, don't move."

Jacob was suddenly yanked into the air and a gun went off.

The shot echoed loudly, their ears ringing with the sound. When the smoke cleared, Heather saw a man that she thought she should recognize examining Jacob's arms and hands for a snakebite. Heather ran over and grabbed Jacob in a hug.

"Oh my God, did it bite you? Are you OK?" Heather asked hysterically.

"I don't think it got him. I can't find a bit mark anywhere," the man answered. "I think this cast might have saved him from a bite." He stared up at her with a harsh look on his face, "Now, who the Hell are you? What are you doing with Jake Green's kid? and how did you get in here?"

Suddenly it hit Heather. She knew who he was. "Your Emily's father, right?"

"You know my daughter?" Jonah looked closely at Heather, "Wait, your Jake's woman. Haley? Hannah? Something like that."

Heather had heard lots of things about Jonah...mostly bad. She knew he was the reason Jake got into so much trouble before he left town.

"Heather. Yes, I'm Jake's fiance. How did you know this was Jake's son?" Heather asked standing behind Jacob with her hands resting lightly but possessively on his shoulders.

"Honey, I've known Jake Green since he was six years old, you can't look like that without belonging to Jake," he said, pointing at Jacob. "Now, what're you doin' here? I know you didn't come in past me."

"We were caught in the storm. We took shelter in a cave over at the Green ranch. The entrance collapsed and we started walking," Heather said.

Jonah looked at her incredulously, "You walked all the way here. Lady, that's miles."

Jacob pulled away from Heather and walked over to look around the supplies.

Heather laughed quietly, "Yeah, we know. We've been walking awhile. We kept hoping there would be a way out but there wasn't. Jake's got to be worried to death. He'll probably kill me when we get back home."

"Kid, don't go near that snake," Jonah said sharply, "it's still dangerous. Get away from it."

"Don't have a cow, I wasn't gonna touch it," Jacob said indignantly, "I'm not stupid ya know."

"Gotta mouth on him, don't he. Just like Jake," Jonah smiled, "I'll tell you what I'm gonna do, because I'm such a generous person. I'll take you and the wonder kid back to the ranch in the morning. I'm assuming you have a car there?"

"My truck's there. Is there any way you can take us now? I'm sure everyone is worried."

"No, I can't go tonight. I have a meeting here shortly. I'll take you where you can sit down. There's a cot. Try to get some sleep. It's almost 2 o'clock. You need to be quiet...these ain't exactly the kind of people who we want knowing there's a young woman here. Understand?"

"What kind of people would that be, Jonah?" A voice rumbled out of the darkness.

Jonah jumped ever so slightly. Heather was sure she was the only one to see it. The sound of that voice made her blood run cold.

"Commander Goetz," Jonah said, turning around, "you're early." He reached for Jacob's arm and pulled him over behind him.

Commander Goetz of Ravenwood smiled a dangerously. "So very fortunate for us," he said, looking at the dead snake with a raised eyebrow and then started to poke around in the boxes, "now we get to meet....." Goetz looked at Heather and Jacob with his eyebrows raised in question.

Jonah glanced back at Heather silently telling her to go along with what he said. She pulled Jacob to her and squeezed his shoulders, hoping he understood that she wanted him to be quiet.

"This is my woman and our son."

Jacob started to move but Heather pushed down on his shoulders, praying he understood.

Goetz smiled wickedly, "Like 'em young, huh? You got you a pretty one."

Heather's skin crawled.

"Ya know, Prowse, that boy looks nothing like you. I mean nothing. You sure he's yours?"

"I'm sure," Jonah said. He turned and walked to Heather, bent down, brushed his lips across her cheek and without moving his lips, whispered, "The one to the right."

He smiled at Jacob and ruffled his hair. "Why don't you two go grab something to eat. I'm gonna finish my business then we'll go home," he said.

"No....I'd like for them to stay right here," Goetz said, menacingly, "family always makes business friendlier."

Goetz signaled 2 of his men in to start removing the stolen goods. "Now, what was our agreed on payment? There's not as much here as I thought there would be...I'm thinkin' we need to talk about the price."

"I don't renegotiate," Jonah said.

"Is that right? Are you sure about that?" Goetz said, dangerously. He reached behind him, pulled a pistol and pointed it at Jonah's chest. "I think renegotiation is the way to go."

Heather slowly ran her hand down Jacob's arm until she was squeezing his hand. When it looked like Goetz wasn't paying attention, she jerked Jacob's arm and took off running down the passageway to the right.

Without ever taking his eyes off Jonah, Goetz snapped his finger and said, "Get 'em."

***********

Heather and Jacob raced down the dimly lit passage. They passed thru Jonah's campsite and kept on running.

Jacob groaned in pain but continued jogging along side Heather, limping.  He had stepped on something sharp and his foot was in agony. He could feel the heel of his sock getting warm and damp.

Heather stopped, "What's wrong?" she asked, breathing hard.

"Nothing, I'm ok. I just got a cramp or something. Let's keep going."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, let's go," Jacob said.

They took off again. They could hear the Ravenwood men now. They were getting closer. Jacob was slowing down. Heather stopped again.

"What's wrong?" she whispered.

"Nothing. Let's go. I'll run faster." It was like there was a razor in the bottom of his foot. "Don't think about it," he told himself.

He started his limping run again, but had to stop, "Heather I can't. It hurts too bad."

She squatted down in front of him, "What's wrong?"

He held up his foot. In the dim light given off by the torches in the wall, Heather could see a sock dripping blood. There was a large piece of glass in the bottom of his sock.

The men from Ravenwood came around the corner.

"Alright, don't move," the man in front said, drawing a pistol.

"We can't," Heather said, "he's hurt."

The first man knelt in front of Jacob, tucking his pistol in the back of his pants and looked at Jacob's foot. He looked at Heather, "Hold him down."

Heather's eyes got big but she did as she was told.

The man looked at Jacob, "Kid, I gotta pull this out. Hold still."

The man pulled the glass shard out in one quick motion. Jacob moaned quietly. The mercenary pulled the sock off to reveal a jagged cut crossing the width of Jacob's heel.

He picked Jacob up and turned his back on Heather. She hesitated only a second, drawing a deep breath, she jerked the gun from where he had tucked it in his pants.

"STOP!" she screamed, "put him down and step away."

The mercenary stopped and turned around, using Jacob as a human shield, "How far are you willing to go?" he said in a quiet voice.

Heather could see Jacob start to shake as the mercenary pulled him tighter and turned him so that gun's laser beam was pointed at his chest.

"Put him down," she said, trying to keep the quiver from her voice.

The man emitted a cold harsh laugh, "Make your move."

When she didn't do anything he looked over his should at the blonde man beside him and said mockingly, "Go get that gun before she hurts herself."

The blonde man stepped forward and grinned, "Goetz'll make you pay for this," and reached towards her.

Reflex took over and two shots were fired. The shots echoed over and over and her ears rang. Jacob threw his hands over his ears to block the noise. On the ground the blonde mercenary was dead. There was blood coming from his chest and neck. She knew she had done it but she never, ever remembered firing those shots. It was buried so deep in her subconscious that the only time it came out was in the nightmares that haunted her til the day she died. "No, I won't think about it," she thought, turning her eyes away from the dead man. The only thing she could think about right now was getting Jacob away from the mercenary.

He looked as stunned as she felt. Three new Ravenwood soldiers ran up then, guns drawn and pointed at Heather.

"Drop the gun! Now!"

She knew there was no way out of this now. She did as she was told.

The man holding Jacob looked at her and quietly and matter of factly said, "We're going back now. If you want to see your cub again you better come with us and not cause any more trouble."

One of the other men looked at the dead man and then back at the man holding Jacob, "What about Tommy? We can't just leave him."

"Pick him up and bring him."

He walked back down the passageway without looking back at Heather. Jacob looked back at her with pain and fear on his face.

"Heather?" he whispered, in panic, when she didn't move immediately.

He started fighting the man holding him, trying to get back to Heather. The soldier tightened his grip, "Be still!"

Jacob held out his hand and hysterically screamed, "Mama, please!"

Heather ran after them.

When they got back to the main room, Heather saw Jonah lying on the floor. He wasn't moving. She couldn't tell if he was dead or alive. The man holding Jacob was talking to Goetz. Goetz nodded his head and looked at Heather, "Put'em in the back of the truck. I'll decide what to do with 'em later."

As Heather walked past Goetz, he grabbed her by the upper arm and pulled her to him. He bent down and whispered, "You killed one of my men. I promise you, you will wish you were dead after I'm done."

********** ********** **********

Jake woke up totally disoriented. He laid there quietly for a minute without opening his eyes. "This is the most uncomfortable couch in the world. I'm gonna have to tell Kate to buy a new one," he thought. He opened his eyes and saw his parent's living room. "How the hell? What am I doin' here?"  he thought. Everything came flooding back in a tidal wave. Jacob and Heather were missing. He sat up slowly and put his head in his hands. His whole body ached.

He heard someone in the kitchen and looked over his shoulder. Gail walked towards him with a big cup of coffee.

"What time is it?" Jake asked quietly.

"About 9:30," she said, handing him a cup of coffee.

"Where is everyone?" Jake asked quietly, taking a drink.

"Still out at the ranch. They never left last night. Jimmy took his dog out there after the sun came up."

"How did I get here?"

"Jimmy and Bill brought you home. It got a little ugly this morning, Jake. Don't you remember?" she asked. Seeing a look of total confusion on his face, she explained,

"Jake, when your dad and Stanley tried to get you to leave you lost it. You shoved your father and punched Stanley in the face. Dr. Dhuwalia gave you a sedative. You don't remember any of that?"

"No, I don't. Is Stanley OK?"

"He's had black eyes before. I think he'll make it. How are you this morning?"

"Numb, dead, worried, scared...take your pick."

"Are you ready to go back out there?" Gail asked, laying her hand on the back of Jake's head, lovingly.

"No. Mom, I'm scared of what we're going to find, or not find," he said hesitantly. He squeezed her hand and got up, "Let me take a shower and put on some clean clothes and we'll leave." Jake took a deep breath and Gail watched the veil of control come over his face.

When they got back out to the ranch, Jake saw that a lot of work had been done.

Someone had brought their tractor and moved all the dirt and mud out of the cave entrance. There were lanterns strung up inside the cave. Jake saw that someone had taken spray paint and sprayed arrows down the direction Jacob and Heather had taken. He was impressed at everything that had been done.

Johnston walked over to them, "How you feeling this morning, Son?"

"I'm OK. Dad, about last night, I'm..." Jake started to say.

Johnston held up his hand, "No need to say it. I understand."

"Do you know where Stanley is?" Jake asked, looking down at his feet.

"He's inside. He's been working all night. He's the one who cleared out the opening."

Stanley came walking towards them. Jake saw that the left side of his face was a deep purple. He felt sick to his stomach.

Stanley stopped and looked at Jake and hesitantly asked, "How you feeling?"

"I guess I'm OK. Look, I'm sorry. I wasn't myself."

Stanley's grin was open and friendly, like always, "I'm sure I had it comin' for somethin'."

"So, has anyone found anything yet?" Jake asked, embarrassed and trying to get down to business.

"Yeah, actually we have," Stanley said. They all started walking back to the cave.

"Did you know this isn't a cave? It's part of an old coal mine and with more light you can see the old wooden support beams. We've followed their footprints a long way. It was a good thing we had Jimmy's dog. There's a lot of places that's rock and if it hadn't been for Daisy's nose we would have lost the trail altogether."

Stanley led them back into the mine. Gail was happy for the arrows drawn on the floor. She was lost after the first turn. They came out into a large room. It looked like a lot of stuff had been in there. There were pallets and empty containers.

"Wait here. Let me see where everyone is," Stanley said, walking down one of the tunnels.

"What is this place?" Gail asked, looking at Johnston.

"I don't know for sure but it looks like a holding place for stolen supplies," Eric said walking up behind them. "We found where there was a campsite down there and it looks like they were there. They didn't go all the way to end but they were down there."

Jake turned to walk down the tunnel but Eric blocked him. Jake tried to go around him but Eric blocked him again.

"Jake, you don't want to go down there. They're not there. That's all that matters, right?"

"What's are you trying to hide, Eric?"

"Nothing you need to see. They're not there. That's all you need to know. We're looking at the other tunnels out of this area for them but no luck yet."

"Eric, I'm going. You can either move or I'll move you," Jake said, very matter of factly.

Jake picked up a large flashlight and walked around Eric.    Someone had put torches along the wall that gave off just enough light to keep from falling.  He walked past the campsite. There wasn't much there, just a sleeping bag, some water and a few cans of soup. So far Jake couldn't figure out what Eric was trying to keep him from seeing. He walked on and shined the flashlight around the ground as he walked. Jake noticed a dark stain. He bent down and examined it. He wet his finger and touched it. It looked like blood. He followed the trail. It went from a small drop to a large circle and then to a small footprint. Jake turned a corner and saw a small sock on the floor. The bottom of the sock was saturated with blood. Beside the sock was large triangle of glass, also covered in blood. There was small handprint in the dust beside the sock. A few feet further down Jake could see blood spatters on the wall and blood all over the floor. "Oh my God," he thought. "What went on here? Whose blood is that?"  Jake slid down the wall. He drew his knees up under his chin and stared at sock and the glass without making a sound. His eyes were filled with tears that wouldn't fall.

Stanley came running down the tunnel, followed by Eric. He stopped when he saw Jake. He balled his fist up and hit the wall.

"Damn it, Eric. I told you not to let him come down here."

"I couldn't stop him, Stanley."

Stanley knelt down beside Jake and put his hand on his shoulder.

"Jake, this doesn't mean anything except he had a cut foot. We don't even know if it was them. It could have been someone from that campsite," Stanley said.

"No, that's Jacob's sock. Look at the cuff. That's his school crest. Those were the socks he was wearing the day I picked him up from school and we left San Diego. No one in Kansas is going to have socks with that on them," Jake said with a dead voice. He leaned his head against the wall and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Damn it, why did they come out here yesterday? Why!?"

"I don't know," Stanley said, squeezing Jake's shoulder. "There's nothing else out this way. Let's go back and see if anyone has found anything else."

Jake picked the sock up and put it in his jacket pocket. It wasn't stiff yet. Jake wondered how long ago they had been here. It couldn't have been that long. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He and Stanley got up and slowly walked back up the tunnel. Right before the campsite, Jake saw a lavender hair band in the dirt. It looked like one of Heather's. He bent down and picked it up.

Gail looked up from the pallet she was sitting on when Eric, Stanley and Jake walked back in. Stanley was holding Jake's upper arm, leading him. She had never seen Jake like that and it scared her.

"Well?" she asked, her voice breaking.

"They're not down there," Jake said, pulling away from Stanley. He staggered slightly and walked towards a dark tunnel, "I'll be back in a minute."

Gail started to follow him but Johnston pulled her back, "No, Gail. Leave him be. He's grievin'."

"Why is he grieving?" Gail asked in a high pitched voice. "They're just lost. There is no reason to grieve. What was down that tunnel, Johnston Green."

"It looks like someone was hurt, pretty bad."

Gail buried her face in her hands and started to cry. Johnston pulled her into his arms. "We've already lost one daughter and grandchild. Johnston, we can't lose them too."

"We'll find them, Gail," Johnston said, hugging her and kissing her temple. "We have to," Johnston thought, "If we lose them, we lose Jake. He'll never hold it together. It'll kill him."

Stanley had been looking around the perimeters of the room, trying not to hear what was being said. "Uh, I'm sorry to interrupt but who shot this snake?"

Johnston pulled away from Gail and walked over to Stanley. "What snake, Stanley?"

"There's a dead rattlesnake over here. From the looks of the blood around it, it looks like it hasn't been dead but a few hours. Did one of our guys kill it?"

"No, no one's said anything about a snake."

Jake came back into the room. He looked broken. Gail went to him and put her arms around him. He hugged her back.

Robert Hawkins came into the room, "We've found something outside."

Everyone walked down the tunnel and out into the bright morning sunshine. Jake was amazed that it was still morning. It seemed like days had passed since he had woken up.

"We didn't see anything when we first came out but Roger started looking in the weeds over by the road. He found two dead bodies and these," Hawkins said, picking up a small red and white Nike, several gauze packages and some bloody gauze. "Jimmy says they're men from the compound out by the old airstrip. There are also some tracks from what looks like big trucks. They lead back to the main road and turn away from Jericho.   I drove all the way out to the interstate but with all the dirt roads out here...there's no way to track them."

********** ********** **********


The ride in the back of the cargo truck seemed like hours. Once, the flap on the back had blown open long enough for Heather to see them pass the Black Jack Fairgrounds. Not long after that they had stopped at some sort of military style building surrounded by a tall fence and razor wire. Jacob had slept almost the entire way with his head in her lap. The men in the back of the truck with them never said a word. One had been kind enough to cover Jacob with his jacket.

When the truck pulled to a stop, Heather shook Jacob, "Baby, it's time to wake up."
Goetz came around to the back of the truck, "Take them inside, put them in the interrogation room and get 'em some food. I need to figure out what to do with them."

They were locked in a room that was 12 x 12. The windows were thick safety glass with wire mesh inside.

"Where are we? Who are those men?" Jacob asked.

"I don't know, Baby, I don't know. Here sit down and let me look at your foot."

They sat down and Jacob held his foot up for inspection. The Ravenwood medic had put a pressure bandage on it back in Jericho but it was starting to bleed thru.

A man in fatigues opened the door and brought in a tray with two cheeseburgers with all the fixins, french fries, Cokes and a plate with grapes and orange slices. "Where did they get food like this," Heather wondered.

Jacob's eyes were big at the sight of all the food. He reached for a handful of grapes.

"No, wait. I don't know if that food's OK. Let me taste it first."

Heather picked up a grape, hesitated for just a second and then popped it in her mouth. It was cold and crisp and absolutely heavenly. She closed her eyes and savored it. It tasted perfectly fine. She looked at Jacob. His eyes were big and scared.

"It tastes fine to me."

They both dug in and ate like they hadn't eaten in months.

When their plates were empty Heather looked over at Jacob and smiled, "Are you full?"

"Yeah, it wasn't as good as In N Out but it was OK."

The door opened. Goetz and three more men came in. He looked at the plates and nodded.

"OK, now that you're done, lets get down to business." He reached out, grabbed Heather's left hand and pulled her engagement ring off. "You won't be needing this anymore."

"Hey," Jacob yelled, "my dad gave that to her! It ain't yours. Give it back."

He smiled dangerously, and quietly said, "Well now, this cub's got a mouth." He looked at his men and nodded and said, "Ok, take her to her new home. I'm gonna chat with the little man here."

"No!" Heather screamed, trying to get to Jacob. "Leave him alone. He's just little boy. Leave him alone." One of the men grabbed Heather around the waist and pulled her back. Jacob jumped up and tried to run after her but Goetz grabbed and held him.

"Get her outta here."

They pulled Heather out of the room kicking and screaming, hysterically trying to get away from the man holding her. When they finally had her out in the hallway, Goetz kicked the door shut.

When Jacob saw there was no way out of the room, he slumped down in a chair, laid his head down and went silent.

"Ok, my little friend, you're with me now...be good, you'll be home in a day or two....be bad, you won't ever see home again."

When Goetz was sure that had sunken in, he continued.

"What's your name?"

"Brody Prowse."

"Um, hmm.... what's your name?"

"Brody Prowse."

Goetz got down eye level with Jacob. "I am not stupid. Please never think that. I know who Brody Prowse is, and you ain't him. What is your name?

"Woody Taylor."

"Alright, Woody. Here's what we're gonna do. You are going to give me your clothes and put these on." He threw him a pair of sweatpants and a tshirt with the Ravenwood logo across the chest. Jacob didn't move. "NOW!" Goetz said, slamming his fist down on the table.

Jacob slowly pulled his jeans off....behind cover of the chair. When he had his shirt off, Goetz reached over and yanked the St. Michael medal off his neck. He turned it over and looked at the inscription on the back: Jacob Green, 12/31/1998.

"Well, well, well, Woody. How is it you're wearing Jacob Green's medal. You wouldn't happen to be related to Mayor Johnston Green would you?"

"Who?" Jacob said, trying to sound brave.

"We're going to write a little note to your father and put this in there," Goetz said, holding the medal up for Jacob to see.

A man in green scrubs walked in the room, "OK, Commander, where is this patient I need to see."

He pointed at Jacob, "Right there. Check his foot. The last thing I need is it getting infected and the kid dyin'." Goetz snapped his fingers at one of his men, "Take him down to the treatment room. When the doc's done put him in a cell. Don't put him in the same one as the woman. Oh, and buzz that mess off his head. I hate long hair on a kid."

"Hey," the doctor said, "how long ago did the cut happen?"

"I don't know. About five hours ago," Goetz replied.

"Are you sure? I can't stitch that if it happened over six hours ago."

"I'm sure."

The mercenary put Jacob down on the treatment table. The doctor removed the pressure bandage. "Damn it, Goetz, you couldn't even clean it before putting the field dressing on. This is a mess," the doctor muttered under his breath. He looked up at Jacob, "Son, this is gonna hurt for a minute. I want you to be perfectly still. I have to clean this cut out so it doesn't get infected."

Jacob remembered when he broke his arm. When the doctor said it was going to hurt he meant it. He immediately started struggling and trying to get off the table.

"I will not deal with this," the doctor said, picking up a syringe and container of medicine, "I want you to drink this. When you wake up everything will be done."

Jacob clamped his hand over his mouth and shook his head. "Goetz!" the doctor yelled, "get in here."

Goetz walked in and saw what was going on. He motioned more men in. "Hold him down." He looked down at Jacob, "Boy, this can go easy or hard... take your pick."

Jacob didn't move his hand and shook his head again.

Goetz smiled, "Fine." He reached over and pinched Jacob's nose and waited. When Jacob gasped for breath he squirted the medicine in, clamped his hand over his mouth and blew in his face. "Swallow. If you want to breath again, swallow."

Goetz jerked his hand away. It was pouring blood. "Damn brat bit me. What did you give him?"

"Just some Demerol. He'll wake up in a few hours and be fine."

An hour later the doctor carried Jacob down the hall followed by the medic. After he put Jacob on the bed in the cell he turned around and looked at the medic and gruffly said, "Change the dressing on that at least twice a day. It was too much of a mess to be able to stitch. It's got to heal from the inside out. Put the antibiotic on it with every dressing change. And don't mess with the new cast. It's not completely dry yet. Watch his fingers. If they turn blue or swell come get me. Understood?" The medic nodded.

**********

Heather continued to fight the men in the hall. She could hear Jacob trying to get away from Goetz. For just a second she felt their grip loosen but it only lasted for a second.

A voice whispered in her ear, "If you want this to go well you better behave and do what he says. If you fight I guarantee it will go bad for both of you."

She stopped struggling and barely nodded her head. When she thought they had relaxed their guard she tried to break free and get back to Jacob. The men closed ranks around her, grabbed her upper arms and forcefully marched her to a cell. They shoved her in and slammed the door closed.

She started pacing. "What's going on?" she wondered. "What do they have planned?"

She climbed up on the concrete slab that served as a bed and looked out the window. All she could see were corn fields. The cells must be at the back of the building. Suddenly she remembered that there were hair pins in her pocket. She fished one out and went over to the door. There was no one in the hall or in any of the other cells. She put the bobby pin in the lock and started trying to jimmy it open. She could feel the lock starting to slip when she heard voices. She quickly ran back to the bench and sat down. The guards continued their conversation without paying her any attention.

"He's gonna ransom that kid and then sell him to the highest bidder. He's got some kinda big deal name. Goetz thinks he can get something for him. He took his clothes and some kinda necklace. Somebody is supposed to deliver it to his daddy with a note. He's talkin to the trader guy, Kane, from out at the BlackJack right now. He said he's going to sell the woman to him in the next day or two but he wants that kid kept under close watch."

"Where's the kid at now?"

"In the treatment room with the doc. They had to force some medicine in him to make sleep so the doc could fix his foot," the guard laughed, "little brat bit a chunk outta Goetz's hand. He'll pay for the that."

Heather froze in terror. She remembered the room in the back of the trader's shop.

The iron beds with handcuffs and bloody mattresses were etched forever in her memory. What if they sent Jacob there too? The thought of Jacob in the hands of that man made tears come to her eyes. The things that could and would happen to a child there were terrifying to think about. "My baby will NOT go there. I'll get us outta here," she thought.

She heard men coming down the hall. Commander Goetz and Lucien Kane, the BlackJack trader, stopped at her cell door. Kane looked at Heather with an appraising eye. He smiled in approval. Heather's skin crawled.

"She should do well, Commander. Very well. The next auction is Thursday. Do you think she'll be ready?"

"Definitely," he said with a calm, deadly voice.

They turned and walked back down the hall. Heather pulled the hair pin out of her pocket and went back to work on the door again.

Minutes later she heard people coming down the hall again. She slid the hair pin into her pocket but didn't leave the door.

A man in green scrubs was carrying Jacob. He was followed by two Ravenwood men.

Jacob was asleep. His foot was wrapped in white gauze and there was a different cast on his arm. Heather saw that the guards had been right. Jacob was wearing different clothes. They walked into the cell across the hall from hers and laid Jacob down on the concrete slab.

As soon as the men left, Heather started trying to wake Jacob up, calling to him softly, to make sure he was OK. His back was to her. She could see he was breathing deeply but got no response. "What did they give him?" she wondered.

The day passed slowly with Heather trying to figure out how to get them back to Jericho. "If only I had watched more MacGyver," she thought to herself, in a moment of despair, trying to turn it to laughter.

After a few hours, Jacob woke up. He sat up, looked around and not realizing he wasn't alone, started to cry. He spotted Heather and said, "I thought it was a bad dream."

"No, Baby, it's real. I'm trying to think of a way to get us outta here. I promise."

She looked at him and saw that he needed to get his mind somewhere else, now. "Come over to your door and sit down. Let's talk about something so we don't have to think about this place."

She sat down. Jacob slowly limped over to his door and sat down. He had large black circles under his eyes.

"If you were at home what would you be doing right now?" Heather asked, aching to touch him, to reassure him.

"What day is it?" he asked, very quietly.

"Monday."

"Monday. On Mondays I go to karate," Jacob said.

"No, Baby, I mean in J..." she didn't finish. At this point what did it matter if he thought she was talking about San Diego.

"Huh?" he said, coming out of a memory.

"Nothing. Sorry to interrupt. So, Monday was karate?" she asked.

"Yeah, karate and then soccer. Me and Nana had snack and then went to baseball practice," Jacob said, smiling faintly.

"That sounds pretty busy."

"Yeah, but it was fun."

"Did you take any other lessons?"

"I went to riding, soccer and baseball on Tuesday and Thursday. Mrs. Koger brunged me home that night though. That was Nana's TV night. She liked Luka on ER. I didn't have to do anything on Friday. I got to play on the beach with my friends."

"That sounds like fun."

"It was," Jacob said. He sat quietly for a minute, the looked up at Heather, "Is it true about steps?"

"I don't know what you're talking about. What about a step?"

"You know, not your real kid. A step. My friends said when you and dad get married, I'm gonna be a step and you won't love me or want me there when you have other kids.    They said you'll make me do all the chores at the house and that nobody else would have to. Is that true?"

"Oh, Honey," Heather said, wanting to hug him. "No, it's not true at all. No matter how many other kids your dad and I have, I will always love you just a little bit more because you're my oldest."

He smiled shyly at her and nodded.

"Well ain't this just a Hallmark moment."

Neither Heather or Jacob had noticed Goetz walk up.

Jacob gasped in fear and scrambled back from the door.

Goetz and two other men walked towards Jacob's cell.

"Goetz, leave him alone," Heather screamed. "He's a child. A baby. Don't hurt him. If you do anything to him, I'll see to it that every day, the rest of your life, is miserable."

Goetz looked back at her, "Oh, shut up. I am tired of hearing you."

They went into the cell and shut the door. One man stood at the door so Heather couldn't see in.

"Hello, Little Man. Is your foot and arm all fixed up?"

Jacob looked at him in silence.

"You know, politeness counts. If you can't at least be civil, I might have to take your mother away so you never see her again. Now, is your foot and arm fixed?"

Jacob looked at him with wide eyed fear, "Yes, Sir."

"That's better. Good. Look at me," Goetz commanded.

Heather had continued yelling the whole time.

Goetz looked at the man guarding the door, "Shut her up. Whatever it takes."

The guard walked to the door of Heather's cell, pulled his pistol and aimed the laser light at Heather's chest, "Commander Goetz kindly asks that you be quiet."

Heather walked to the concrete slab, sat down and watched the door to Jacob's cell.

Back in Jacob's cell Commander Goetz pulled out a digital camera and took several pictures. He handed Jacob a note pad and Sharpie.

"We're going to write a little note now. "Dear Dad", go ahead, write it....."

********** ********** **********

They continued to search the mine and surrounding area even though they knew it was futile. It looked like Heather and Jacob had disappeared into thin air. Hawkins and Jimmy drove up Route 40 until they hit the interstate. There was no trace of them.

At dusk everyone decided to stop searching for the night. Johnston took Jake aside and talked to him about it, afraid of a repeat of the night before. With a totally defeated look, he nodded his head and walked away. There was one thing he knew for sure.... Jacob and Heather weren't to be found. Not in the mine, not at the ranch and not in Jericho.

Back at the cars, Gail started walking towards Jake's Roadrunner. Jake need family and she was going to see to it that she and Johnston were at his side.

Jake saw his mother. He looked at his father, "Dad," he said, quietly, glancing towards his mother, "I don't want to hurt her, but...."

"Don't worry about it, Jake. I'll take care of it. You're not gonna be driving, right?"

"Only to Bailey's," Jake said.

Johnston walked over to Gail and whispered in her ear. She looked at Jake, nodded and gave him a tight smile. He got in the car and slowly drove away. Eric and Stanley climbed in Stanley's truck. Eric made eye contact with his father. They nodded at each other. After a few minutes they slowly followed Jake back to Jericho.

Jake parked in front of Bailey's. He gripped the steering so tightly his knuckles turned white. He softly banged his head against it and whispered, "Why? I don't understand. Why?" He walked into the bar, told Mary to keep the drinks coming and grimly went about the business of becoming totally numb.

Minutes later, Eric and Stanley walked in. They saw Jake in the far back booth.

Stanley looked at Eric, took a deep breath and walked to the booth. He came back shortly and shook his head, "He doesn't want any company." They took seats at the end of the bar. Mary went and refilled his glass frequently. Finally she returned without the jar. As it got darker they could just make out the glint of the glass and the end of a cigarette.

The night passed with excruciating slowness. Finally dawn quietly crept into the bar. Stanley poured two cups of coffee and walked to the booth. Jake's haggard appearance scared him. He handed Jake the coffee and sat down. "Are you ready to go home?"

Jake nodded, got up, picked up his glass and the jar and walked to the bar. He squeezed Eric's shoulder. Eric looked at him and nodded slightly. Stanley took Jake's upper arm and led him to the truck.

"Thanks, Stanley."

Stanley nodded at Jake and drove him home.

Johnston was waiting on the porch when Stanley and Jake came up the sidewalk. They helped Jake to the kitchen table. Gail put a cup of coffee in front of him, cupped the back of his head and kissed his temple. She followed Johnston and Stanley into the living room. Jake could hear them talking quietly. He knew it was about him but he couldn't have cared less what they were saying. He stared into his coffee cup without moving.

Someone knocked on the back door. Jake turned around. It was Jonah Prowse. Jake motioned him in.

"Hi Jake," Jonah said, sitting down at the table.

"Jonah. They'll put you in jail if they catch in town. What's wrong?" Jake asked emotionlessly, staring into his coffee again.

"I know who has your woman and your kid. I might have an idea of where they're at."

Jake's head snapped up. He grabbed the front of Jonah's jacket and pulled him out of his chair.

"What are you talking about?"

Johnston, Stanley and Gail came running in the kitchen.

"Jonah what are you doing here?" Johnston asked.

"Johnston, I know who has Jake's woman and the kid. I have an idea of where they are. The woman and the kid showed up at my campsite Monday morning about 1 o'clock. I was going to bring them home but Ravenwood showed up. They knocked me out and took them. I woulda told you yesterday but I just stopped seeing two of everything a little while ago."

"The "woman" and the "kid" have names. They are Heather and Jacob," Gail said, indignantly.

Jonah looked at Gail, held up his hand and nodded his head, "Sorry if I offended you. I haven't been around people in a while. My company manners are little rusty."

There was a knock at the front door. Stanley left to answer it. He came quickly back.

"Mayor, I think you need to come in here."

Johnston followed him, "I'm not Mayor, Stanley."

Harry Carmichael stood in the foyer with a box. "Johnston, this was delivered to the checkpoint out on Route 40 about half an hour ago. The man who brought it was one of those Ravenwood men. He's in jail now."

"Thanks, Harry. I appreciate you bringing it out," Johnston said, "We'll come down and talk to the man a little later." He turned around and brought the box into the kitchen and sat it on the table.

"This was just delivered by Ravenwood. You want me to open it?"

Jake slowly nodded his head.

Johnston carefully pulled the tape off the top. He was scared of what he might find. It was a large box. It could hold anything. Inside was a sealed envelope and a bag.

Johnston pulled the bag out and opened it. He looked first...in case there was something in there Jake didn't need to see. He pulled out pieces of a cast, hair that was bound in the middle with a rubber band, a St. Michael medal and Jacob's clothes.

He opened the envelope. Inside were five pictures and Heather's engagement ring. One of Jacob in some sort of treatment room, asleep and three in a jail cell. One of them showed a shackle around his ankle. There was one picture of Heather, standing behind the door of her cell.

There were two pieces of paper. One was written by Jacob.

Dear Dad,
These men say I can leave if you
will give them salt. I want to come
home. I'm scared.
Jacob

Johnston read the second note aloud:

Dear Green Family,
We seem to have found a valued member
of your family. He would really like
to come home. There are lots of people
who would pay a lot for him to be their special
boy. If you want to see him again have
1000 pounds of salt on the Tacoma Bridge
Wednesday at 3pm. I realize you probably
kept my delivery man. If the salt is where it
is supposed to be, we will do a prisoner
exchange. Don't be late.
Commander Goetz
P.S. Don't try to find them. If I have any
suspicion of it....I will kill the woman.

Jake kicked the chair across the room and growled an animal sound deep down in his throat. The look on his face was terrifying. He would get his family back. He walked over to the wall, turned away from everyone and pounded his fist once. For the first time since Sunday night, Jake broke down and cried.

********** ********** **********

Tuesday morning dawned clear and cold. It took a minute for Heather to realize what had woken her up. It was the medic changing the dressing on Jacob's foot. He was trying to talk to Jacob but Jacob had his head turned to the wall, ignoring him.

He soon gave up and finished the dressing change in silence.

"Alright, I'll be back this afternoon. I was just trying to be nice. That's all." He gathered up his supplies and left the cellblock.

Heather walked over to the door and smiled at him. "Morning, Sweetheart."

Jacob looked at her with dark, haunted eyes that held no recognition. He turned his back to her and attempted to go back to sleep.

"No," Heather thought. "I can't let him lose himself trying to escape. I have to bring him back."

"Jacob," Heather said, louder, "don't do that. Don't lose hope. Come on. Come over here. Talk to me. Jacob, turn over and look at me!"

She saw him take a deep breath and heard a very low, "Why?"

"Because we are going to get out of here and go home and see your Dad. We are going to have a wedding.     And I'm going to be your Mom, and you're going to be my kid.   Not a step.   My kid.    What about Dreyfuss?   Where will he sleep?    Grandpa needs someone to share his coffee with. Please look at me," Heather pleaded. She was suddenly very nauseated . She couldn't let this happen.

The door at the end of the cell block opened. A guard came in carrying two plates of food. He handed one to Heather and opened the door to Jacob's cell and put his on the table in the middle of the room. He left without uttering one word.

Heather looked at her plate. It was scrambled eggs, bacon and a biscuit. She knew she should eat it but her stomach churned so much she didn't dare. She went back to the door and looked at Jacob. He was still laying down but he was at least looking at her.

"Honey, you need to get up and eat. It looks really good. Come on. Sit up."

"I'm not hungry."

"Just try. Try to eat a few bites," she said trying to set an example by biting into the biscuit.   Her stomach was churning so bad the bite stuck in her throat and she had to take a big gulp of orange juice so that she didn't choke.

Jacob hopped on one foot over to the table. He ate one piece of bacon and no more.

Heather could see he was going to go back to bed. She couldn't let him. "Ok, wait. It's a school day. We need to do some math."

He stopped and looked at her incredulously, "Math?"

"Ok, spelling."

"I don't like spelling. We can do math."

"Ok, tell me your 12 times tables."

Jacob hopped over to the door and settled himself on the floor. Heather sat down and they faced each other. They passed the morning doing mindless school work.

After lunch, mostly left untouched by both Jacob and Heather, they heard people walking towards them. Goetz, Kane and 3 Ravenwood mercenaries walked down the hall. They stopped in front of Heather.

"It looks like your time here is done. Meet Mr. Kane. You will be leaving with him now," Goetz said, smiling evilly.

"No, I'm not leaving my son. Mr. Kane can go back where he came from,"  Heather said, taking a step back to get as far away further away from Kane.

All the men laughed. "That wasn't a request," Goetz said.

The cell door was opened. Heather tried to run away but the men surrounded her and marched her out into the hall.

Jacob held out his hand, "Nooooooo. Please."

Heather was able to touch his hand for a second before she was dragged away.

********** ********** **********

Heather was handcuffed and placed in the front seat of Kane's red El Dorado.   The windows were tinted, and Heather realized that while she could see out, there was no way anyone could see in.   She watched as Kane and Goetz shook hands.

"It's been nice doing business with you, Commander."

Kane got in and started the car. He looked Heather up and down appraisingly and then smiled in approval.

"I'm gonna make you one of my high price girls. Only the best for you."

Heather's skin crawled. Tears were running down her face. She kept hearing Jacob's last plea. She trembled uncontrollably. Her head was pounding. The overwhelming stench of cologne on Kane was making her sick. They pulled into the Black Jack. The guards recognized his car and waved it through without a search. Kane parked the car beside his store. He smiled at her, reached over and put his hand high up on inside of her thigh. Her nerves couldn't take it anymore, she threw up all over him.

Kane shoved her into a room filled with showers.

"Get that slimy, stinkin' mess off of you. Then put on some different clothes," he said pointing at a closet.

Heather took a shower and changed into a clean pair of jeans and a sweater. She tried the door but found it locked. Kane opened it several minutes later, grabbed her arm and walked her to a hidden room in the back of his store.

"Get some rest. You'll be in business at opening tomorrow."

The door slammed with a dull thud. She used up the last of the daylight searching the room, but found no way out.   Finally, exhausted, Heather lay down on the bed. The light faded completely away. Very faintly she felt a breeze touch her cheek. After an hour of very slow searching she found the source. There was a skylight about her bed. It was painted black and almost impossible to see. For the first time in days Heather found a reason to hope. She pulled the hair pins out of her pocket and was able to unscrew the skylight. She piled pillows in the bed to make it look like someone was sleeping and then climbed out the skylight onto the roof. The slightly warped skylight was quickly and quietly replaced. When she was sure no one had heard her, Heather slowly made her way to the red El Dorado. She got in the car and eased the door closed. Thank God Kane had cleaned the car, she thought. A few twists of wire and the El Dorado was running. The guards, recognizing the car, didn't stop her. Heather drove back towards the Ravenwood compound.

Heather turned off the headlights when she started seeing the lights from the compound blinking thru the trees. She got out of the car and walked to avoid being seen. Her plan was to get Jacob. Heather was so afraid he was slipping into some kind of traumatic shock. He had to get out of that place. She bit her bottom lip and felt despair take over. There was no way for her to get in there. The compound blazed with lights and there were armed guards everywhere.

Fifteen minutes later, the El Dorado was heading east on Route 40

********** ********** **********

Johnston had sent for Hawkins after reading Ravenwood's note. Jonah knew where one of their stronghold's was. He was more than willing to sell them out after finding out they had killed his two best men. Unfortunately, it was another dead end. The building had been burned to the ground.

Johnston, Jake and Hawkins spent the day formulating a plan on how to handle the prisoner exchange.

Eric went to talk to Gray about the salt.     Gray was the only one in his office.   For once none of his enforcers were there.    

"Gray, I need to talk to you.   It's important," Eric said.

Gray waved him in, "What's going on, Eric?"

"We got a ransom note this morning.    Ravenwood will give us Jacob back if we give them 1000 pounds of salt and their man back.    The exchange is supposed to be at the Tacoma Bridge tomorrow afternoon.    We need the salt, Gray."

"Eric, I'm sorry about your nephew, but I can't do that.   I don't make deals with terrorists.   I have enough going on here in town without having to bring on an added problem like that.   Do you realize that if I made that kind of deal, I would have every two bit hood out there trying to do the same thing?    I'm sorry.   You're gonna have to figure something else out."

"Gray, this is my nephew we're talking about.   Not some stranger.    Ravenwood can't get away with this.   Right now, Dad, Jake and Hawkins are working on how to deal with exchange and take care of these guys once and for all.    I came to you because you have a family and grandchildren.   Your grandson plays with Jacob for God's sake.   How are you going to explain to him that you let his friend get killed for salt?   I could have gone to Dale and Skylar but I didn't.   I came to you.   This is an eight year old boy.    Please, Gray."

"Eric, look, I'm sorry.   If it were Lucas out there instead of Jacob, I would have to do the same thing.   I just can't do it.   These people are like vermin.   If you give them one inch they'll be back."

"Gray," Eric said, walking around the desk and leaning into Gray's face and looking him in the eyes, "I am going to get that salt.   If I have to go out there and dig it myself.   For once in your life, do the right thing.    Stop being a pain in the ass, SOB and do what you know you would do if this were your family.    Take Dad out of the picture.   Don't let a little boy get sold into God knows what

just for a kiss your ass to Johnston Green."

Gray flinched backwards like he had been slapped. He turned red and dropped his eyes.

Eric stepped back and let what he had said sink in. He walked to the front of the desk and hestitantly said, "Do this for us, Gray, and the Greens will owe you. You know we're good for it."

"Alright, Eric," Gray said, sighing, "Go out to the mine and tell Harry to give you what you need. I want someone to come tell me what this plan of Jake's is going to involve. I don't want to be surprised."

Eric smiled and held out his hand, "It's a deal."

Gray hesitantly shook hands with Eric.

********** ********** **********

Jacob's dinner was taken away, untouched. He lay on his bed with his back to the cell door. He no longer cared. He was playing in the surf of the Pacific Ocean with his dog.

********** ********** **********

Jake lay in his and Heather's bed staring blankly at the ceiling. Every time he closed his eyes he was haunted by pictures. Heather looking at him in the morning, stroking his stubbly cheek before swooping in for a kiss. Dancing with her at Baileys. Heather working on her truck. Jacob learning to walk. The first time he had hit a homerun. Playing tickle monster with Jacob. He could almost hear his laughter. Heather and Jacob looking oh so happy with themselves in front of the fire after figuring out how to take care of the cast itch. He could hear Jacob's voice. The first time he had said Daddy. He heard Heather chuckling when she had finished a particularly hard Suduku puzzle. Jake finally dozed off.

He heard Heather's voice whisper, "Jake......."

To be continued in Chapter 18..........

 

Chapter 18: Family Reunions by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: CBS gave up on the show and the characters....I refuse to.   I claim them in the name of squatter's rights.    Since they're mine (and I'm willing to share with all my JFF friends) I can keep alive whoever I want to.   JOHNSTON LIVES.

Special thanks to Marzee, Nightsky and JT. They are great to work with. I don't think I could have gotten this one done without them!!!

**********     **********     **********     **********

 
He heard Heather whisper, "Jake."
 
He could feel her hand touching his chest.

"Where are you? I feel like I'm dying," Jake said in his doze.
 
Heather sat beside him on the bed. She gently caressed his shoulder.

"Jake, you need to wake up."

"Why? If I wake up, you'll be gone."

Heather stroked his cheek, bent down, kissed his temple and whispered, "Jake, wake up."

His eyes fluttered. He saw Heather sitting beside him. His eyes filled with tears. Why was Heather haunting him tonight?

He reached up and cupped her cheek in his hand, "You feel so real."

"Jake, I am real. I'm home. Please wake up."

Jake opened his eyes and looked at Heather. She could see total confusion. He pushed himself up and looked at her. He hesitantly reached out and touched her hair and her cheek. He trailed his fingers across her lips.

"It's really you. Oh my God, you're home," he said, his eyes filling with tears. He pulled her to him in a crushing hug and captured her mouth in deep,passionate kiss.

They finally pulled apart when neither could breathe.

"How're you here? When? What happened? Where's Jacob?"

Heather pulled away. Jake watched her tear up. "I tried Jake. After I got away from Kane, I tried to go back but I couldn't get in. They had guns. I couldn't rescue him." She bowed her head into her hands and sobbed. Jake took her in his arms and held her while she cried.

"Heather, is Jacob alright? Is he hurt? Who're they? Who's Kane? Where is he?"

"After the entrance to the cave collapsed, we walked for what seemed like hours.    We finally found Jonah.   Ravenwood showed up while we were there.    Jacob and I ran away.    I tried to protect Jacob.    I grabbed a gun.   I....." Heather hesitated, looked down down at the floor, shook her head and continued quietly, "They kidnapped us and took us to a compound close to Black Jack.    I think they killed Jonah."

Jake tilted Heather's face up, "Heather, is Jacob ok?

"Yes......no.......I don't know, Jake. No. No he isn't ok," Heather said, her voice rising and her tears starting to flow again. "I mean, physically, Jacob's ok. He stepped on a piece of glass when we were trying to run away so his foot is cut pretty bad. A medic changes the dressing several times a day. But Jake, he's trying to hide in his memory. I'm worried he's going to fade away. We've got to get him away from there. Now." She stood up and reached for Jake's hand. "Let's go."

"We can't just pick up and leave, Heather. We don't know what we're walking in to,"
 
Jake said, pulling her back on the bed. "How is it you escaped?"

"Goetz sold me to Kane this morning. He's that trader guy at Black Jack. Remember? I escaped thru a skylight in the room he locked me in. Jake, Goetz was going to send a ransom note, but then he was going to double cross you. I heard the guards talking about it. He's going to keep Jacob and then sell him to Kane. We've got to go now," Heather said, starting to sob. Between heaving sobs she said, "We.....can't......let.....him.....go..... to.....Kane.....He'll.....do.....awful.....terrible.....things." Heather broke down completely.

Jake cupped her face in his hands and kissed her, "Ssshhhhh. It's OK. We're going to get him. Calm down." He put his arms around her and rocked her on the bed, "Sssshhh. We're gonna go get him. I promise."

Gail opened the door and stuck her head in. Her eyes widened and a trembling hand came up to her mouth. Jake put his finger over his lips. He continued to try to soothe Heather. Jake looked at his mother and mouthed, "Get Dad."

"Ok....try to calm down. We're gonna get everybody together and we're gonna figure something out but you have to calm down. Shhhhhh. We're gonna get him. Nothing will happen. We'll get him today. Everything's gonna be OK.   Our family will be all back together.   You, me and Jacob."

Heather, who had been starting to calm down, looked down at her hands and started to sob again. "Jake, Goetz took it. It's gone." Heather was crying so hard she was shaking.

"Took what, Baby. Took what?" Jake said soothingly, rubbing her heaving back.

She held out her left hand, "Your Grandmother's engagement ring. He yanked it off my hand."

"Heather, sit up. Stop crying. I have something to show you," Jake said. When he was sure Heather wouldn't fall he let go of her and leaned over to the nightstand beside them. He picked up the ring and held it out so she could see it. "Look, it's not gone. It's right here," he said, slipping it back on her finger.

Heather hugged her hand to her chest and looked at Jake, "How....where....Goetz took it and sold it. How did you get this," she said trying to wipe her face with her right hand.

Jake looked around for a towel of some sort but there wasn't one. He handed her the t-shirt he had pulled off before going to sleep, "Here, use this. It's clean. I put it on after I took a shower. The ring was in the ransom note along with a threat that if we tried to find you they would kill you."

Johnston came running into the room. He pulled Heather into an embrace, "Thank God you're home. What happened? Where's my grandson? Are you alright? Is Jacob alright?"

Heather looked at Jake and started to tear up again.

Jake looked at Johnston and shook his head, "Let's not make her go thru it more than once. I'm gonna go get everyone. We need to figure some things out." He cupped the back of  Heather's head, leaned down, kissed her temple and said, "I love you.   I'll be back soon."

He looked at Johnston, who was still holding Heather, "Dad, take care of her. I'll be back as soon as I can."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
It was 2 am when Jake finally made it back to the house followed by Eric, Robert Hawkins and Jonah Prowse.

He looked around, "Where's Heather?" Jake asked.

"She's a nervous wreck.   I made her go lay down," Gail said.   "She's still so upset that she can't hold anything on her stomach.   If she's still like this in the morning, I'm going to take her to see Kenchy."
 
"Go on in the kitchen," Jake said, to Eric, Hawkins and Jonah.   "I'll get Heather."
 
Jake walked into the bedroom and saw that Heather had changed into pajamas and a robe.    She was asleep, hugging his t shirt to her chest.   He stood there for a minute just watching her breathe.   Finally, he walked over to the bed and sat down beside Heather.   He pushed her hair back behind her ear and kissed her cheek.  

"Baby, you need to wake up.   Everyone's here.   They need to ask you some questions."
 
She opened her eyes and looked at Jake, "Who's going to go?"
 
"I don't know.   That's what we have to figure out," he said, standing up and holding his hand out to Heather.
 
They walked into the dining room.    Johnston, Gail, Eric, Hawkins and Jonah were gathered around the table looking at a map.    Gail had made coffee and everyone had a cup.      Eric came around the table and gave Heather a quick hug, "Thank God you're home safe."
 
Heather smiled tiredly and squeezed his hand, "Thank you."
 
She spotted Jonah, "I thought they'd killed you.   When they brought us out you were lying in the floor of the cave not moving."
 
Jonah looked at Jake, barked out a laugh and looked back at Heather, "Takes more than a pistol to the side of the head to kill me.   I'm too mean to die.   Right, Jake?"
 
Jake smiled crookedly, "Yeah, at least that's been my experience."
 
"Miss Lisinski," Hawkins began.
 
"Heather, please," she said.
 
"Heather,  we need to know exactly what happened to you and Jacob.    Any information we have going in will keep Jacob a little safer.   Start at the beginning."
 
Heather pulled a chair out and sat down.    Jake stood behind her with his hands on her shoulders, rubbing the back of her neck.    She was just about to start when Gail set a cup in front of her.
 
"Mom, I don't think I can keep anything down."
 
"It's just some tea.    How long has it been since you ate?   Maybe some food would settle your stomach."
 
Heather thought a minute, "The last real food we ate was a grilled cheese and a bowl of soup on Monday evening.      I ate a bite of biscuit and Jacob had some bacon at breakfast this morning and I think we both had a couple of bites of peanut butter and jelly at lunch today.   Neither of us were very hungry.      There wasn't any dinner at Kane's.   So I guess it's been a while.   But my stomach has been churning so much I don't think I could have kept it down anyway.   This tea will be fine.   Thanks."
 
Hawkins looked at her and smiled, "Alright Heather.   Why don't you tell us what happened."
 
She took a deep breath, picked up her tea cup and started, "Jacob and I decided to go out to the ranch Sunday afternoon.   Oh my God, has it just been four days?" she said, taking a deep hitching breath, "we went to the ranch Sunday.    We went to the creek and while we were there a bad storm came through.   I swear I saw a funnel cloud.   I pulled Jacob into the cave to try to keep him safe but the entrance collapsed after the storm.    We walked for what seemed like forever until we saw light.    It was Jonah.   That's where Jacob almost got bit by a snake.  Jonah saved him, Jake.    He jerked Jacob away and killed the snake."    Heather closed her eyes and silent tears started flowing.   Heather leaned back into Jake.    She took a sip of tea.    
 
Gail returned from the kitchen and placed a bowl of rice sprinkled with cinnamon in front of her and filled her tea cup.     Heather ate some rice and sipped some more tea.    After she had herself under control she went on with her story.    "Ravenwood showed up.    Jonah whispered which passage to hide in and Jacob and I ran.    We didn't get very far.   Jacob stepped on a piece of glass and couldn't run.    I was going to pick him up and carry him but they caught up with us.    One of the men pulled the glass out of Jacob's foot."
 
"We found where that happened.   Jacob's sock and a piece of glass was left.     There was a lot of blood there, Heather, more than what would have happened with a cut foot.   What happened?"  Hawkins prodded, lightly.
 
Heather looked at him for a minute and then looked away, playing with her tea cup, "Someone got hurt," she said, barely loud enough to be heard.     Jake and Johnston looked at each other across the table.    They both wondered what happened and both felt they knew.
 
"The Ravenwood man who had pulled the glass out of Jacob's foot took us back to Goetz," Heather continued, skipping the rest of what happened in the tunnel.   "He threatened me, told me I was going to wish I was dead, and had them put us in the back of a truck.    They took us back to their compound.     I saw where we passed Black Jack but that's the only landmark I know.    I know it was on Route 40 going west."
 
"Ok, now I need for you to try to remember as accurately as you can.....  was the gate into the compound guarded by just men or were there dogs as well?"
 
"I never heard or saw any dogs."
 
"Alright.   Was the gate electric?"
 
"Yes, I couldn't see it but I heard it.   The fence around the place was at least 10 feet tall and there was razor wire on top."
 
He handed her a piece of paper.  "Draw what you remember about the front of the building.   It's alright if it isn't much.   Just what you remember."
 
When Heather took the pencil, her hands were shaking so badly she couldn't draw.   She put the pencil down, drew her hand into a fist, bowed her head and took several deep breaths.   Jake pulled out a chair, sat down beside her and took her hand.   "It's OK, " he told her, "take your time."
 
"I can't take my time," she said, her voice rising and her eyes overly bright, "we have to save our son.   I have to get through this."    She picked up the pencil and began to draw.    When she finished she handed the paper back to Hawkins.
 
"So you only saw the one set of doors?   What about windows?"
 
"Yes," Heather said, "there were windows.   On either side of the door there were banks of windows."
 
Hawkins smiled at her and patted her arm, "You're doing very good.   Do you need to take a break?"
 
She turned slightly in her chair, "Mr. Hawkins, listen to me.    Those men are planning on taking Jacob and selling him to a man who will do awful, horrible things to him.    Do....you....understand?    I can not take a break.   We have got to get him."
 
Jake squeezed her hand, "Ok, Baby, we know.   We're going to get him this morning.   I promise.    Go on if you're ready."    
 
Heather looked at Hawkins and continued, "They took us in the front door and took us down a hallway, the one to the right, and put us in a room."
 
Suddenly, she shoved her chair back and ran to the bathroom.    They heard the water come on but it didn't quite cover the sound of Heather being sick.   Gail went to her.      
 
Eric looked at Johnston, "What do you think happened in that tunnel, Dad?"
 
Johnston and Jake looked at each other and nodded slightly.   "She mentioned a gun earlier but I didn't go into it," Jake said.
 
"I think Heather did what she had to do to protect Jacob.    Nothing more needs to be said about it.  Ever," Johnston said.   "What's done is done and it's over as far as I'm concerned.    Those men were trying to hurt her and Jacob and she tried to protect them."     Jake nodded in agreement.
 
"She's a tough kid, Jake.   Do you think you're gonna be able to handle a woman who will get right up in your face and fight back, " Jonah said, smiling.
 
"I think I can handle it, Jonah, but thanks for your concern," Jake said, smiling slightly.
 
Gail helped Heather back to her chair.   "Gentlemen, can we wrap this up.   Heather needs to go to bed."
 
Heather looked at Gail, "What do you mean, go to bed?    I'm going with them."
 
"No you're not," Jake, Johnston and Gail all said at the same time.
 
"How are you going to know where he is?" she asked, looking around at all of them.
 
"You're going to tell us," Hawkins said.   "Ok, so when you went in, they took you down the hall to the right?"  
 
Heather nodded.   "Goetz called it the interrogation room.     Some men brought us food.    After we ate Goetz came in and they forced me to leave.    That's when they put me in a cell."
 
"How did you get to the cells?"
 
Heather saw that he was drawing a crude blueprint of the building from what she was telling him.      She turned the paper around and pointed, "There's a doorway right about there.   It opens up into another hallway.    There are two cells.   One on either side of the hall.     I was in the one to the left.   Jacob's in the other."    She bowed her head into her hands and started to cry again.    Jake rubbed her back, bent down and whispered in her ear, "Sssshhh it's ok.   Ssshhhh.   We're gonna get him.   Ssshhh."
 
She looked up, sniffed and continued, "It was a long time before they brought Jacob to his cell.   When they did, he was asleep.   He was dressed in different clothes, his hair was cut really short, his foot was bandaged and there was a new cast on his arm.  I overheard the guards talking.   The doctor had given him something to make him sleep while they did whatever it was they had to do to his foot.   It was hours before he woke up.     When he did finally wake up, Goetz took pictures of him and made him write a note to Jake."
 
Heather took a deep breath.   She looked at Jake.  He squeezed her hand.
 
"Do you know what they gave him?" Gail asked.
 
"No.   I never heard.    All I know is that he slept a really long time."
 
"Heather, in the pictures, there is a shackle around one of Jacob's ankles.    Do you know anything about that?"  Jake asked, looking at the floor.
 
"That was just for the picture.    I remember Goetz and his men laughing about that.    They thought it would make you more willing to do what they asked."
 
Jake slumped slightly in his chair as he let out a breath he had been holding, in a sigh of relief.
 
"Heather, we need to get back on track.   What happened next?" Hawkins asked.
 
"Get back on track?   Mr. Hawkins,  I've been wanting to get on track for hours!" she said, her voice rising again and tears filling her eyes.   She turned to Jake and started yelling, "When are you going to go get him?    Every minute we spend here is another minute they could be giving him to that bastard, Kane.    Go get him.   Stop talking about it and do it!"
 
"Damn it!  I know!" slamming his fist down on the table, "He's my son, Heather.    I want him home every bit as much as you do but I want to get him home without him being killed!" Jake yelled, angrily.   He immediately regretted it.    He knew Heather loved Jacob and that she was scared to death.
 
She bowed her head into her hands, her anger spent, and scrubbed her eyes with the heels of her hand.
 
Hawkins motioned Jake into the kitchen, "Jake, control yourself.    I have to know the layout of that building.   If I go in there blind, I could get him killed.   Talk to her.   Calm her down."
 
Jake nodded, "I know.   Give me a minute."    He stood in the kitchen a minute, trying to get himself under control.    He wanted to run out and do just what Heather said.   He wanted his son home.   He ached to hold him.    Jake took a deep breath.    They had to do this the right way or he might not ever see Jacob again.
 
Jake walked back to the table.    Everyone but Gail had gone into the living room to give them some privacy.    Gail sat holding Heather, rubbing her back and hair while she cried.   She gave Jake a disappointed look.    Jake nodded at his mother and sat down beside Heather.    "Babe, listen to me," he said, turning her so that she was facing him and taking her hands, "I'm sorry.    I shouldn't have yelled.   I'm scared, just like you are.    Jacob is my son too.   I want him home as much as you do but we can't go in there blind.    If we do then there is a chance he will get sho...hurt while getting him out.   Do you understand?"
 
She nodded and smiled weakly at him, "Ok, lets go on."
 
Jake motioned to Hawkins.   He and Johnston walked back over to the table and sat down.  
 
"Now, back to Tuesday afternoon.    What happened?" Hawkins asked, trying to gently pry information out of her.
 
Heather, still holding Jake's hand, continued, "I woke up Tuesday morning and saw the medic changing the dressing on Jacob's foot.   Jacob wouldn't speak to him.   He wouldn't even look at him.  He has a little bit of a stubborn streak," she said, looking at Jake.
 
"Yeah, just a little bit," he said, smiling.
 
"He wouldn't be your son if he didn't," Johnston said.
 
"Nothing really happened until after lunch.   Neither one of us had much of an appetite.   We took a few bites of peanut butter sandwiches and sipped on Cokes.    After lunch, Goetz showed up with Kane.    He had sold me.    They took me out of the cell and that's the last time I saw Jacob."
 
"Did you go out the way you came in?" Hawkins asked.
 
"No, they took me out the back way.   When you get back to the main hallway you can either go straight, which is the kitchen or down the hallway on the left.    That hallway takes you out the back door.    It looked like offices and sleeping quarters down that way."
 
"Did you ever look out the window while you were in your cell?   Is there anything around the compound?"
 
"Just corn.   I looked out, trying to see if we might escape that way but it was corn fields as far as the eye can see.    Oh...and that tall fence with razor wire."
 
"OK," Hawkins said, make notes and adjusting his drawing.    
 
"You left with Kane?   Did you see any kind of loading bay or service entrance?"
 
"No," Heather said, forehead wrinkled, "Oh, wait, you're right.   There was a loading bay.   It must have been by the kitchen door.    There were milk crates and pallets stacked there.   I had completely forgotten that."
 
"So, three entrances in.   Do you have any idea how many men there are out there?"
 
"Um...I don't know that.    More than 10 but less than 20 would be my guess."
 
Hawkins nodded at Heather, "That's good.   You're doing very good.    What happened when you left with Kane?"
 
"We went to his store at Black Jack.    I got out thru a skylight in the room I was in.     I stole Kane's car and drove back to the compound.   I was hoping I could sneak in and grab Jacob but there was no way.    There were armed guards and it was blazing with lights.    There is no way to sneak in there.    So I drove back here."
 
"Look at the map.    See if you can make some kind of guess as to where this place might be," Hawkins said, pushing the map towards her.
 
She looked.   Black Jack Fairgrounds was labeled in black.   She traced her finger over the road and pointed to an area, "My best guess would be somewhere around in here.    We didn't turn off the main road on our way there.    Where we turned was a private drive.   It went directly out to the compound.    It was 15 or so minutes past the fairgrounds."
 
Hawkins squeezed her arm, "You did very good.   I got the information I needed.   Thank you.  I know it was hard having to go through all that.   I'm going to do everything in my power to bring Jacob home today.   You have been through a lot.   Why don't you go rest."
 
"I can't rest.   I'm no use here.    I want to go with you.    I know where this place is.    I can help.    Please let me go.    I can just ride in the car."
 
"No," Jake said, quietly, "I won't risk losing you again.    You're home and you're safe.   I can't be distracted worrying about you.   For my sake, please stay here."
 
Heather nodded.   Silent tears coursing down her cheeks.    She got up.   Jake pulled her back into the chair, hugged her hand to his face and kissed her palm.   He mouthed, "I love you."   She cupped his cheek in her hand.   They put their foreheads together and stared at each other for a long minute before Heather turned away and let Gail lead her into the bedroom.
 
Johnston cleared his throat.    Their emotional display had embarrassed him.    
 
"Alright, we need to plan how to bring Jacob home," Johnston said, motioning everyone over.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Hawkins looked at Jake, "I know you are going to want to come with me.     You can, but we're going to do it my way.   Understand?"
 
Jake looked at Hawkins and narrowed his eyes.    He took a deep breath and nodded his head.
 
"I'm going too," Johnston said.
 
"No," Hawkins said, looking up at Johnston, "they expect you to be there.    If they don't see you at that bridge they'll know something is wrong."   He looked over at Eric, "You are going to stay at your father's side.    They'll need to see someone who they think is Jacob's father.    Go ahead and put the salt bags on the bridge.   Put them close to the Jericho side.   We want them out there on that bridge.    Jonah, your job is to hit the trucks on their way back.    Take everything and bring the people back to Jericho."
 
Johnston looked over at Jonah, "We'll be wanting that salt back, Jonah.    Take everything else as payment but the salt comes back.   Do you understand?    If I have to come looking for you, we'll have to have a talk about why Ravenwood was here in the first place."
 
Jonah looked at Johnston, trying to size him up, and smiled, "I think that can be arranged."
 
They sat until 6am planning how the day was going to go.      Jake and Hawkins decided to leave for the Ravenwood compound at 7am.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Jake walked into the bedroom.    It was just starting to get light outside.    He saw that Heather had finally gone to sleep.    As easy as he could, so he didn't wake her, he laid down beside Heather and gathered her in his arms.    It felt so good, so right, for her to be there.    
 
He kissed her shoulder and whispered, "I love you."
 
She snuggled into him, "I love you, too."
 
They both slept.   It was the first real sleep they had had in days.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Gail opened the door to the bedroom and saw Jake and Heather sleeping.    They looked so peaceful.     She walked over and touched Jake lightly on the arm.   His eyes opened instantly.
 
"Mr. Hawkins is here," she whispered.
 
Jake nodded his head.    He reached over and gently shook Heather's shoulder.    She slowly woke up, looked around and breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Jake.  
 
"I'm leaving," he said, bending over to put his shoes on, "we'll be back this evening.    I'll bring Jacob home, Heather, I promise."
 
He stood up and cupped her cheek with his hand, "Go back to sleep.   You need it."
 
She held on to his hand for a minute and kissed his palm, "Please be careful."
 
Jake walked out the front door and climbed into Hawkins' car.  
 
"Let's do it," Jake said, looking straight ahead.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
They drove in silence, each lost in thought.
 
Jake looked down at his hands and noticed a radio on the seat.
 
"What's that for?" he asked Hawkins, pointing to the radio.
 
"Before we left I found the Ravenwood compound on the satellite.   Darcy's keeping an eye on it."
 
The radio crackled loudly, making them both jump.
 
"Robert," Darcy's voice called, "they're loading up into two trucks.   I don't see a child with them."
 
"Thanks, Darcy," Hawkins said into the radio, "if you see anything else let me know.  Out."
 
"Looks like Heather was right," Hawkins said, looking at Jake.   "They never intended to give your boy back."
 
Jake nodded silently.  "Thank God for Heather.  She's so good," he thought, "I don't know what I would've done if I had lost her."  He pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned his head back.
 
Hawkins looked at Jake.    Jake looked bad.   Haggard didn't really begin to describe it.   It looked like he was barely holding on.    Hawkins could tell he was holding on too tight.   That kind of thing would get them all killed.
 
"Jake, stay frosty.   Going off half cocked will not accomplish anything.   You go in there with guns blasting, you will get him killed.   If you can't control it, you're going to have to stay in the car.   Things will be done my way.   Understand?"
 
Jake looked at Hawkins with narrowed eyes.   He took a deep breath, slowly let it out and nodded.   "He's right," Jake thought, "I gotta take it down a notch."
 
The radio crackled again.
 
"Rob, they're leaving," Darcy reported.
 
"Were you able to get any kind of idea of how many men there were?"
 
"At least 20.   They were in two trucks."
 
"Thanks, Darcy," Hawkins said, "keep an eye on it.  Out."
 
Hawkins looked at Jake, "If that many left and Heather's close to right about how many men were there, it should only be a skeleton crew left.   Shouldn't be too hard to get in and out."
 
Jake, in an attempt to take him mind off of what was coming, looked at Hawkins, "When did you and your wife get back together?"
 
Hawkins looked at him, shrugged and chuckled humorlessly, "About the time we decided our home is in Jericho."
 
Jake smiled crookedly, "Welcome to the neighborhood.   Watch out for the neighbors though, they can be a real pains."
 
"Yeah, always inviting me on hunting trips and rescue missions," Hawkins grinned in return.
 
Hawkins slowed and turned onto an unmarked dirt road.
 
"Where are you going?" Jake asked, alarmed.
 
"We're going in from the back."
 
Hawkins picked up the radio, turned it down one channel, and spoke into it, "They've left the compound.   I'll send more information when I get it.   You've probably got a couple of hours before they're there.   Out."
 
Hawkins turned it back and heard Darcy's voice, "Hello?  Are you there?"
 
"Yeah, I'm here.   What's going on?" Hawkins asked.
 
"Can Jake hear me?" Darcy asked.
 
Jake, who had been looking out the window lost in thought, looked sharply at the radio.   Hawkins handed it to  him.
 
"I'm here.   Is something wrong?" he asked with a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.
 
"I can see Jacob," Darcy answered.
 
"What? Where?" Jake asked.
 
"A man just brought him outside.   They're sitting on a bench at the side of the building.    They're eating but I can't tell what it is.    It looks like they're drinking Cokes.  I just thought you might want to know that he looks alright."
 
Jake let out the breath he had been holding, "Thank you," he said with relief.
 
**********     ***********     **********
 
Hawkins pulled the car to a stop and looked at Jake, "We have about another two miles til we park.    This is going to go down my way.   If you can't do that then you can stay here and guard the car.   Understand?"
 
He drew in a deep breath and looked at Hawkins, "I'm not a fu.....I'm not an idiot.  I got it," Jake said.
 
Hawkins watched the anger flash across Jake's face and narrowed his eyes, "Good."
 
Hawkins put the car in gear and drove slowly down a dirt road.   When he got to a "No Trespassing" sign he parked the car. "This is where we get out."    
 
Hawkins opened the trunk and handed Jake a pistol with a silencer.   He grabbed his black bag, flak jacket, a gun and wire cutters.
 
"We go thru here," Hawkins said, pointing at a chain link fence.
 
"OK....what exactly is your plan?" Jake asked.
 
"To stop right here and let me scout ahead," Hawkins said.   "I'll be right back."
 
Jake crouched on the ground.   He curled his hands into fists and forced himself to take slow deep breaths and calm down.  "Let him be ok.   Let him be ok."  he thought.
He heard gravel crunching.   Hawkins came around the side of the car to find Jake pointing the pistol at him, ready to shoot.
 
Hawkins raised his eyebrows and lifted his hands, "It's just me, Jake, calm down."  
 
Jake lowered the gun and let out his held breath, "Sorry," he said quietly.
 
"It looks like there are two guards outside.    I didn't see any kind of alarm on the fence and I don't see any sign of dogs.    We're going to cut the fence and go right in thru the kitchen door.    Are you sure you're up for this?"
 
"Damn it, would you quit asking me that?!  I'm fine," Jake said.
 
"Alright, let's go."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
They entered the loading bay area silently, like 2 cats on the hunt.    So far they hadn't encountered anyone.   Hawkins quickly glanced into the kitchen.   He saw one man sitting at a table eating.   He looked at Jake and held up one finger and pointed towards the table.     One silent shot later and the man was down.     Jake  and Hawkins moved into the kitchen.    They looked around and were amazed at the amount of food.   It was piled everywhere.     Jake and Hawkins looked at each other and could see the same question on each other's face, "Where did all this food come from?"
 
"According to Heather," Hawkins whispered and pointed at the door out of the kitchen, "if we go out that door and straight down the hall there should be another hall to our left.   He should be there unless they've put him somewhere else."    
 
Jake went out of the kitchen first with Hawkins covering him.    Directly to the right was a room full of monitors.   They could see every part of the compound, inside and out.   It looked like there were eight people.
 
They continued down the hall.      The door to the cell area was electric with a keypad instead of a lock.      Jake examined the pad.
 
"I can get through this.   Do you have anything in that bag to run a bypass?" he said to Hawkins.
 
Hawkins looked sharply at Jake.   Of all things Jake could have said, that was one thing he wasn't expecting.    He reached into the side pocket and pulled out clamps and a small battery powered  screwdriver.   He handed them to Jake without saying a word.    
 
The keypad was quickly unscrewed and the bypass run.   Jake obviously knew what he was doing.  
 
Hawkins shook his head and smiled, "Nice work."
 
"I did some electronic work a little east of here," Jake said, smirking.
 
"I've done a little in that area myself," Hawkins said, nodding.
 
Two Ravenwood men came in the front door.   They were soon lying on the floor.
 
Hawkins opened the door and went down the hall towards the cells.    Jake ran to the cell on the right side.     Jacob was sitting on the concrete slab drawing listlessly on a pad of paper.
 
Jake slumped in relief.    His son was there and he was breathing.
 
"Jacob!" Jake called softly.
 
Jacob looked up.    There was total lack of emotion on his face.    He turned away and continued drawing.
 
"Jacob!" Jake said louder in a panic.    He desperately tried to reach him through the bars.
 
There was absolutely no response from Jacob.
 
"Damnit, Jacob.   It's me.   It's Dad.   Come here! Now!"
 
Hawkins, going through the desk between the cells for a key, looked up at Jake.    There wasn't a key.   He had to get that door open before Jake lost it and got them all killed.    He opened his bag and pulled out a container of gray putty and what looked like thin black rope.
 
"Move away from the door, Jake.   I'll open it."
 
"What is that?   How're you opening the door?"
 
"Just a few household chemicals in the proper proportions.    There will be smoke and sparks but very little noise."
 
Hawkins placed putty on the three hinges and laced them together.
 
"Son," Hawkins called softly, "stay where you are.   This will take a minute to work.   As soon as the door opens, we're taking you home."
 
There was a sizzling, sparks and smoke.   Hawkins reached and pulled the bars away.
Jake pushed him to the side and ran into the room.    
 
He grabbed Jacob into a one sided tight hug and kissed his temple, "Oh, God, I thought I'd lost you."  
 
He sat him down and looked at him closely.   Jacob was very pale with deep dark circles under his eyes.    He wouldn't make eye contact.
 
"Hey, Buddy, it's ok.   We're gonna take you outta here."   He cupped back of Jacob's head and hugged him to him again, "Look at that hair.   I don't think your hair's been this short since you were a baby.   Grandpa's gonna love it."
 
Hawkins walked over, "Is he alright?"
 
"Yeah," Jake said, still hugging Jacob, "he's just been through a lot."
 
Hawkins handed Jake the flak jacket, "Put this on him and lets get out of here."
 
Jake wrapped the coat around his son and picked him up.    It was like picking up a padded stick.
 
The walked out into the hall and started out.    Three mercenaries, who had heard the commotion in the cellblock, were running towards them.   Hawkins reacted without hesitation.    The Ravenwood men were dead before they could pull a gun.   Jake covered Jacob's eyes with one hand and kept walking.
 
"There's still two unaccounted for.   Keep your eyes open," Hawkins said as they walked down the hall and into the kitchen.    Hawkins spotted a medic's bag on the table beside the first dead man.   He picked it up and kept walking.
 
They walked outside into the bright sunlight and ran quickly across the compound.   Before they could get through the fence the two outside guards spotted them and opened fire.   Bullets hit the ground all around them.  
 
Hawkins pulled the fence back and waved Jake through, "Get him outta here.  Go on."
 
After Jake ran thru and was clear, Hawkins reached into his black bag and pulled out a grenade.   He pulled the pin and waited until the guards were in range and threw it.
 
Hawkins ran towards the car to find Jake pointing a gun at him again, "You're just determined to shoot me today, aren't you.   Put that thing away."
 
Jake got into the front seat and hugged Jacob to him.   Rubbing his back and softly talking to him.
 
Hawkins reached into the front seat and picked up the radio, turned it down one channel and walked to the trunk of the car, "We're clear and we have the boy.   Out."
 
"Gotcha.   Everything is taken care of.   Road's clear all the way to Jericho."
 
Hawkins got in and started the car.   He reached over patted Jacob's leg, "Let's get you home."
 
He keyed the radio again, "Darcy?  Are you there?"
 
"Robert?  I lost the satellite feed about 30 minutes ago.   What's going on??"
 
"We have Jacob.   Everyone's safe and we're coming home.   Out."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Heather woke up.    She laid in bed trying to go back to sleep but it was no use.   She dressed in her favorite jeans and Jake's 1990 Jericho Red Raiders baseball sweatshirt and walked out of the bedroom.
 
Gail was sitting on the sofa knitting and trying to keep her mind off the men in her life.   She looked up when she heard the bedroom door open.    She smiled when she saw Heather wearing Jake's sweatshirt.   Heather was still pale with dark circles under her eyes.   Gail decided to watch her and if need be nicely "persuade" (or bully if you were to ask the Green men) Heather to go to the doctor.
 
"Hi, Honey.   Were you able to get any rest?"
 
"Not after Jake left.   Every time I dozed off I would see Jake or Jacob getting hurt and wake back up.   I'm too worried to sleep.   Maybe tonight," Heather said, walking over to the sofa and sitting down.  "What are you doing, " she asked, pointing to a mound of navy yarn on Gail's lap.
 
Gail passed an afghan to Heather, "It's still chilly and you're bare footed.   Cover up so you don't catch your death of cold.    I'm knitting a sweater for Jacob.    Actually, I'm just trying to kill time.   Knitting does that.    Do you know how?"
 
"I can crochet.   Well, I can make one really long and very tight chain.   Two needles are too intimidating," Heather said with a faint smile.
 
Gail reached into her bag and pulled out another pair of knitting needles and handed them to Heather with a ball of yellow yarn.
 
"Any woman married to a Green man needs a way to occupy her mind and kill time.   Those hunting and fishing trips last forever.   Johnston is already planning Jacob's first hunting trip next winter, by the way," Gail said trying to smile reassuringly.
 
For the next two hours, Gail taught Heather the basics of knitting.   Heather looked at the clock and saw that it was only 2 o'clock.   She looked at Gail and moaned a sound of frustration.
 
Gail patted her leg and smiled tightly, "I know, Dear, I know.   We have to think positive.   All of our men, big and small, will be home by this evening."   She pulled out four small needles, "Let me show you how to knit a sock."
 
Heather took a deep breath and reached for the needles.
 
Almost an hour later, Heather had gotten the hang of the 4 needles and was well on her way to a sock.... lumpy and uneven but a sock nonetheless.     Heather held it up for Gail to see.  
 
"I guess this one's mine," Heather said, laughing,  "Jake may love me, but even that's not going to get him to wear this thing."
 
Gail hugged her, "You'll get better, I promise."
 
There was a knock on the front door.  
 
Heather looked at Gail and smiled, "I'll get it."   She put her knitting down and stood up.   She was so woozy she fell back onto the couch.    She dropped her head into her hands.   "Woo, guess I got up a little too fast."
 
"Sit there and don't move," Gail said, pointing at Heather.   She went to the door.   It was Darcy Hawkins.
 
"Hi, Mrs. Green," Darcy said as Gail motioned her in.
 
Gail walked back over to the Heather and knelt down in front of her.   "Honey, are you ok?"
 
"I'm fine.   Just a little dizzy."
 
Darcy walked into the living room and looked at Heather, "I thought you might need some good news.   Robert radioed a few minutes ago.   They have your little boy and are on the way home."
 
Heather smiled, the first real smile she had smiled in a long time, and attempted to get up so she could hug Darcy.    The dizziness was too much.   She swayed and sat back down.
 
"Are you ok?" Darcy asked, concern in her voice.
 
"No, she's not.   Would you mind helping me get her to the car?   She's going to the clinic," Gail said.
 
"Mom, I'm fine.   I just got up too fast.   I don't need to go to the clinic."
 
"Well, just call me overprotective.   You were kidnapped, didn't eat for what, two days, you risked your life to escape from a...a ... pimp,  you've been throwing up and now you can't stand up without getting dizzy.   You're going to the clinic.   Don't argue with me."
 
"I think she's right.   You need to go and let the doctor look at you," Darcy said.
 
Gail and Darcy helped a still dizzy Heather to the car.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Johnston, Eric, Jimmy Taylor and several members of the border patrol were at the Tacoma Bridge.   They all stood around in little groups talking.
 
"Eric," Johnston started, "how are things with Mary?"
 
"Fine," Eric said, smiling, "she's very happy I'm home."
 
"I bet," Johnston said with a chuckle.  "You need to start coming around the house again.   Bring Mary.   Your mother misses you.    If Mary's going to be in your life, we need to get to know her.    I helped her out a little while you were in New Bern.   She's a nice girl.   You need to treat her like someone you're proud of... not something you need to hide."
 
Eric dropped his head in embarrassment, "I know, Dad.   I just wanted everyone to get used to the idea.   It'll be hard for mom.   She and April were really close."
 
"She can be close to Mary too.   The longer you wait, the more awkward it's gonna be."
 
"Dad, you're talking to be like I'm this bad little boy who needs to be scolded.   What about Jake?   Have you talked to him?    Does he have an excuse for being gone?   What about Jacob?   Why didn't he bring him around?   Want to talk about awkward?"
 
"Your brother has nothing to be ashamed of, Eric.    He's a good man now.   He grew up while he was away.    I don't care what he did while he was gone.   Whatever it was matured him and turned him into someone I'm proud of.    He's a good father.    There's nothing wrong with the way that boy's been raised."
 
Eric snorted, "Yeah, raised by a nanny."
 
"However he was raised, it was what was best for him.   Jake knew that and took care of business and saw that his child was cared for," Johnston said, grabbing Eric's arm and looked him square in the eye.   "It takes a lot for a man like your brother to recognize the need for and accept help, Eric.    We're gonna have at least one wedding soon.   You and Jake are brothers.   It's time to get past this crap and set an example of how brothers are supposed to be."
 
Eric dropped his eyes in defeat, "I know."
 
The radio crackled with static, "Dad?"
 
"Yeah, Son.  What's going on?"
 
"We'll be there in about 15 minutes.   Is the bridge clear yet?   We need to get Jacob to the clinic."
 
"Jake, Ravenwood hasn't showed up."
 
"What?" Jake said with surprise, "They never showed up?"
 
"No one has been here at all today."
 
"Whatever, we'll be there soon.   Can you move enough of the salt for us to get thru?"
 
"No problem.   Is he alright, Jake?" Johnston asked, trying to keep the worry out of his voice.
 
"He will be."
 
The radio went silent.
 
Ten minutes later, they heard a vehicle.   Everyone raised a gun, just in case it was Ravenwood.   Hawkins' car sped across the bridge.
 
Johnston waved them to a stop.   He looked in the car and saw a very pale Jake and Jacob.
 
"Jake, they never showed up.   What does that mean?" Johnston asked.
 
"I don't have a clue.   Maybe they changed their mind.    Clear out the salt and leave some border guys.   I think we're done," Jake said.   "We'll talk later.   I need to get Jacob to town."
 
Hawkins put the car in gear and headed into Jericho.
 
Johnston looked at Eric, "Clear everything up here and take the salt back to the mine.   I'm sure Gray is missing every grain."
 
Johnston got in his truck and drove straight to the clinic.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Jake carried Jacob into the Jericho Medical Clinic.   Jacob was pasty, pale with large black circles under his eyes.    He lay limply, hugged against Jake's chest all the way into the lobby.    He had hardly spoken during the trip back from the Ravenwood compound, sitting quietly looking out the car window instead.
 
"I'm sorry, Dad," Jacob whispered.
 
"For what, Honey?   You haven't done anything," Jake said, hugging Jacob tighter and trying to reassure him.
 
"For not being polite.   If I hadda been polite, the Commander wouldn't have made Heather disappear."
 
Jake was confused, "Son, what are you talking about?"
 
"I was rude to the Commander.   I'm sorry," Jacob whispered again.
 
"Jacob everything's OK.   I promise.  We need to get you checked out and then we'll go home.   Everything's fine," Jake said.   He looked up and saw Heather walking towards them.
 
"Jacob!" Heather cried, running towards Jake and the little boy.
 
Jacob's head popped up, the blank, empty expression on his face began to break up.   He turned and caught sight of Heather.    Suddenly he started fighting to get out of Jake's arms.    Jake staggered back in surprise.    Jacob broke Jake's grip and started a limping run towards Heather.    She caught him and lifted him in a fierce hug.
 
"Mama!" Jacob screamed, hysterically hugging her and crying.    "He said you were dead.    He said it was my fault because I was rude."
 
"No, I'm OK," she said quietly, making eye contact with Jake.    He saw a fierce mother's love there.
 
Jake walked towards them.   He caught sight of Becca standing back in a doorway watching.    She was hugging herself and crying.   He couldn't help it.   He felt a stab of happiness seeing that.    Jacob had a mother....and it very obviously wasn't her.
 
He looked back at his family and smiled.    The life had come back into Jacob.   That pasty paleness was gone.
 
He looked at Jacob and tapped his shoulder, "Hey, how about a little hug action for your dear old Dad?   Let me carry you," he said, taking him out of Heather's arms.   "You're a little big for Mom to be holding," he said, teasingly, looking deep into Heather's eyes and stroking her cheek.
 
They walked slowly to the waiting room and sat down.   Johnston and Gail were standing there.   They had witnessed the reunion.   Gail was crying happily and Johnston was trying to maintain control but his eyes were curiously bright.      Everything they had ever wanted for Jake had just happened.
 
Johnston looked at his grandson and smiled.   "Whatcha wearing there, Son?" he asked, pointing to the flak jacket that reached his knees.
 
Jacob looked down, seeming to notice it for the first time, "It's a bullet coat.  Dad made me wear it in case someone tried to shoot us.   There was a lot of dead people there.    He tried to cover my eyes but I saw some of them anyway.   They were all bloody."
 
"Why don't we take that off.    You'll be more comfortable," Johnston said reaching over and unfastening it.
 
Dr. Kenchy Dhuwalia walked into the waiting room pushing a wheel chair and knelt in front of Jacob, "So, my little friend, you are back in my ER again.   Why don't we go and have a look at this," he said, pointing at Jacob's foot, "and talk a little bit.   You'll be as good as new in no time."   He held out his hand and Jacob hesitantly took it, looking back at Jake.   Jake nodded reassuringly at him.   Jake started to get up and follow them down the hall but Kenchy shook his head slightly, "This is a man to man talk between friends."
 
After they had disappeared into the treatment room, Jake looked over at Gail, "What was that all about?"
 
"He's going to talk to Jacob about what happened and examine him if need be," she said, looking at Jake pointedly.
 
"Oh.  OH!   Heather, you don't think?" Jake said, with a horrified expression on his face.
 
"No, I don't think so.   It didn't appear as if that is what they were after.   Guards came down the hall three times a day to bring food and do dressing changes on his foot.   There was never anyone else in there," she said, trying to sound reassuring.   She laced her fingers with his and squeezed his hand, leaning into his shoulder.
 
He leaned down and kissed her on the top of the head, "Not that I'm not happy to see you, but why're you here?   Is something wrong?"
 
"I got a little dizzy this afternoon.    Mom made me come.   Turns out, I was a little dehydrated," Heather said with a small smile.   "I've had an IV and now I'm all fixed," she said, smiling.
 
An hour later, Jacob came down the hall on crutches followed by Kenchy.   Jake looked up at Dr. Dhuwalia questioningly.   Kenchy shook his head slightly.   "Everything looks good.    The arm is healed so I removed the cast.    His foot looks really good.    The person who was caring for it did a good job.    He'll have to be on crutches for a few days while the cut heals but that's all," he said, smiling at Jacob and ruffling his hair.   "There don't appear to be any other problems."
 
Becca Lawson walked into the waiting room carrying a tube of medicine and several boxes of gauze.    
 
Kenchy took it from her and said, "Thank you Mrs. Lawson."    He handed the supplies to Jake, "Change the dressing twice a day and put this antibiotic cream on it."
 
Jake nodded absently not taking his eyes off Becca.   He saw her hesitantly reach out to touch Jacob and pull her hand back.  
 
"You're very brave," Becca said, very quietly, to Jacob.
 
"Thanks," Jacob said, shyly, leaning back into Heather, "so was my Mom."
 
"Your Mom is very lucky to have a little boy who loves her so much."
 
Heather smiled and kissed him on the temple, "Yes, I am."
 
Jacob rolled his eyes, "Ma....not in front of everbody."
 
The tension was broken.   Everyone chuckled, except Becca who tried to make a graceful exit.   The Green family went home.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Later that evening, everyone was sitting in the living room, enjoying being together as a family.    Eric had brought Mary and after a small bit of nervous conversation, everyone relaxed.    
 
There was a knock on the door.
 
Jake got up to answer.    He came back in the living room with an envelope and a strange look on his face.     He motioned for Johnston and Eric to follow him.    They went into the kitchen and Jake emptied the envelope on the counter.     There was a Ravenwood patch, a name patch with Goetz embroidered on it, two spent bullet casings and a note.
 
Jake picked the note up and read it aloud,
 
Jake,
 
The Ravenwood problem has been fixed.
Congratulations on your wedding.   She's
a pretty girl.    Good luck.
 
Jonah
 
Johnston picked the patches and bullet casings up and deposited them in the trash.   He looked at Jake, "Sometimes the Devil ain't that bad a guy."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
By that night, Jacob was pretty much back to his old self.   Jake and Heather weren't quite ready to let him out of their sight yet, so Jake put him on
the sofa bed in his and Heather's bedroom.
 
At midnight, Jake and Heather were sitting up in bed, watching Jacob and talking.
 
"Jake?" Heather said.
 
"Hmmm?" Jake answered, hugging Heather close to him.
 
"I was thinking about our wedding."
 
"What about it?"
 
"I think we need to get married soon."
 
"We can get married anytime you want to.   Just tell me when and where and I'll show up."
 
"Were you doing anything tomorrow?"
 
Jake chuckled quietly, "Don't want to waste any time, huh?   That's fine with me but my mother will have a heart attack.   Do you know how many years she's wanted to plan a wedding?"
 
"We might be able to wait a few more days but no longer than a week, OK?"
 
He smiled, "That sounds good to me.   But tell me, what's the sudden hurry?   It's not like either one of us is going anywhere."
 
"Well, it's just that, Jake..........turns out we're a little bit pregnant."

**********     **********     **********     **********

Thanks for reading my story!! I hope you like it. Feedback is always welcome and appreciated!!!

Chapter 19: A Happy Beginning by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

Special thanks to Marzee, Nightsky and JT.    They are great to work with.   I don't think I could have gotten this one done without them!!!


***********************************************

CHAPTER 19--  "A Happy Beginning"

The evening had been good.    After getting home from the clinic they had managed to shut out the craziness that had been their world for the last 7 months for just a little while.   Johnston and Gail had told Heather and Mary all kinds of stories about Jake and Eric.   After the events of the last few weeks, they had needed laughter and good feelings.    Jake, whether he was aware of it or not, hadn't let Jacob out of his sight and he had either held Heather's hand or had his arm around her the whole evening.

At a quarter to eleven, Jacob laid down on the couch with his head in Heather's lap.   He pulled her arm around him and promptly fell asleep.   This was not lost on Gail.   She nudged Johnston in the side and nodded her head towards the couch.   He would never wonder about who that boy's mother was again.    His mother was holding him and softly stroking his cheek.    Johnston had caught an almost secret smile on Heather's face several times that evening.    She was almost glowing with peacefulness.   Johnston glanced at Jake.    He couldn't believe the difference in the man that sat in front of him now and the smartass punk who had run away from Jericho.    He liked this man.   The person in front of him was a mature family man, willing to do whatever it took to keep them safe.    Six years ago he was concerned with Jake and Jake only.   Now he put Heather and Jacob first.

Johnston watched Jake reach out, brush Jacob's bangs back and then lean down and whisper something in Heather's ear that made her giggle.

Johnston smiled to himself, hugged Gail and kissed her temple.   Yes, he admitted, he was very proud of the man sitting in front of him.

Jake stood up, stretched and picked Jacob up, "I'm gonna take him up to bed.   He's had a really long day."

Eric smiled, "A really long week you mean."   He stood up and held his hand out to Mary, "You ready to head home?"   Mary nodded.

"Jake," Heather said, calling after Jake as he started towards the stairs, "put him on the sofa bed in our room, just for tonight."    She blushed slightly, "I'm just not quite ready to have him out of my sight yet."

Jake sighed in relief, "I'm not either."   He turned and took him into his and Heather's bedroom.

Jake woke Jacob up just enough to help him put pajamas on.    He couldn't help it.... he knew that Kenchy had examined Jacob and found no problems but he had to confirm for his own peace of mind that nothing had happened to his son.      He helped Jacob pull a shirt over his head, breathing a sigh of relief when he saw that, except for his injured foot, there wasn't a scratch.

He got him tucked in and walked back into the living room.   Eric and Mary had left and Johnston and Gail were getting ready to head up to their bedroom.

Johnston pulled Jake aside, "If anything happens and you need me, you know where I am."

"Thanks, Dad," Jake said.

Johnston and Gail disappeared up the stairs and it was just Jake and Heather left.   He smiled at her and held out his hand.

"You ready to get some sleep?" Jake said.

"Definitely," Heather said.

Jake took her hand and pulled her into a tight hug.

"God you feel good.   I thought I'd lost you.   Don't ever leave me again," Jake said, tilting her face up and kissing her softly.

**********     **********     ********** 

They were both sitting on the bed by midnight...ready for bed but just quite able to give it up.     

Heather looked at Jacob and smiled when she saw his very short hair, "Ya know, before this whole thing started I tried to get him to let me cut his hair.   I told him how hot it was going to get this summer but he wouldn't hear it.   It wasn't happening."

"Yeah, he's always been very particular about his hair.   This just isn't his kinda 'do.   Dad's yes, Jacob's no.   He is very into the skateboarder style.  But, it'll definitely be cooler."

She reached out and brushed Jake's bangs out of his eyes, "I could trim yours too."

"What's wrong with my hair?  I like it like this," Jake said, grinning.

Heather smiled softly, "Your mother is right.   You two are just alike."    She looked back at Jacob, "It's amazing Jake, he seems to be back to his old self.   I can't believe he would go through all that and not have residual effects."

"Heather," Jake said, getting a serious look on his face, "you didn't see him when we got there.    It was heartbreaking and terrifying at the same time.   There was nothing there.   I mean nothing.   It was like carrying a padded stick.    He didn't come out of it til he saw you at the medical center.    It wouldn't surprise me if he woke up screaming.   We'll just hope he doesn't."     He laid down and pulled Heather into a hug, "It wouldn't surprise me if you had nightmares too.    Do you want to talk about it?"

"Huh uh, not tonight," Heather said, "I just want to enjoy being here with you and Jacob."

They lay silently for a while, content to just be together.

"Jake?" Heather said.

"Hmmm?" Jake answered in a half doze.

"I was thinking about our wedding."

"What about it?"

"I think we need to get married soon."

"We can get married anytime you want to.   Just tell me when and where and I'll be there."

"Were you doing anything tomorrow?"

Jake chuckled quietly, "Don't want to waste any time, huh?   That's fine with me but my mother will have a heart attack.   Do you know how many years she's wanted to plan a wedding?"

"We might be able to wait a few more days but no longer than a week, Okay?"

He smiled, "That sounds good to me.   But tell me, what's the sudden hurry?   It's not like either of us is going anywhere."

"Well, it's just that, Jake...........turns out we're a little bit pregnant," Heather said quietly, picking at a loose thread on the quilt.

He held Heather, silently stunned.   Several different emotions hit him at once.   He was excited but he was scared to death at the same time.   What if she hadn't been able to escape from those people?   What if she had been hurt?   What if she had been killed?

"Jake?" she whispered, turning over and looking up at him uncertainly, with tears in her eyes.

He reached out and stroked his thumb across her cheek.

"Pregnant?" he whispered.

Jake pulled her tightly against him and hugged her fiercely, burying his face in her hair.   He held her, unable to let her go.   He couldn't believe how much he loved her.   Jake held her for what could have been hours or minutes, all he knew was that he never wanted to let her go.

"What are you feelin'?" Heather asked, her voice uncertain.

"Surprised, shocked," Jake said stunned,  "scared to death?  Take your pick.    What if you hadn't gotten away?    What if they'd hurt you?"

He rolled over onto his back and dug the heels of his hands into his eyes.   Suddenly, he started laughing, "A baby?   Our baby.    God, I love you," he said pulling Heather against him.    "Now about the wedding?  How soon did you want to have it?"

**********     **********     **********

 
It was starting to get light when Jake woke up hearing Jacob moaning in his sleep.    Jacob was twisting and turning in the bed, locked in a nightmare.    He had kicked all the blankets off.    Jake slid out of bed, walked over the sofa bed and knelt beside his son.

"Hey, shhh, shhh," Jake said, rubbing Jacob's back, "it's OK.  You're home.   Everything's alright. Shhh."   He continued to rub his back until he settled back into a deep sleep.    Jake pulled the covers back over Jacob.

He slid back into bed.   Heather immediately snuggled back into his side, her head  resting on his heart.  He ran his fingers through her hair and hugged her closer to him.

He smiled thinking of the night before.   A baby, he couldn't believe it.   He lay there unable to believe how excited he was.   He was savoring the idea.     It was so different when he had found out about Becca being pregnant.

He let his mind wander back to the afternoon of December 31, 1998.    That was a day he would never forget.    He had just finished a job for Jonah and was getting ready to head to Emily's for a New Year's Eve party.    He was sitting at the drive thru at McDonalds when his cell phone rang.

"Jake, it's Becca."

"Hi, Bec, what's up?" Jake thought he knew.   It was New Year's Eve and he was pretty sure she wanted to party.

"Jake, I'm pregnant."

He felt like he had been kicked in the stomach.   He started counting.

"Bec, it's been months since we've been together.   You need to find someone else to point the finger at.   It ain't mine."

"Jake, I'm eight months pregnant.   He's yours.    There's problems and they're going to do a c-section at 7 o'clock.   I just thought you should know, in case I die or somethin'.   Jake, I'm alone.   No one would come with me."

"How can you be positive it's mine?"

"Because I've never been with anybody else Jake.   You were my first and only."

Jake felt a sinking sensation.   That Big Mac was making him distinctly sick.    He took a long drink of Coke and laid his head back against the seat.   'How do I always manage to get myself into impossible situations?' he asked himself, sighing and pounding his fist on the steering wheel.

"Okay, Becca, what hospital are you at?  I'm comin'," Jake said, resigned to his fate.

He hung up and punched 2 on his speed dial.

"Hey, Em, somethin's come up.   I ain't gonna make it tonight."

Jake made it to the hospital with 15 minutes to spare.   He walked in Becca's hospital room and saw them getting her ready.

"Mr. Lucas, you made it," a nurse said.

"I'm Mr. Green," Jake said.

"Alright, Mr. Green, let me get you some scrubs.   You can go in for the delivery."

Twenty minutes later Jake was walking between a doctor and two nurses while carrying a screaming three and a half pound bundle to the nursery.

He laid the baby on the bed and stepped back.   

The Nursery nurse looked up at him and smiled, "Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a baby look as much like his Daddy.   You can touch him.   He won't bite."

Jake reached out tentatively and touched the baby's hair.   His hair was jet black, stood straight up and was so soft.    The baby, who was screaming the loudest in the nursery, grabbed his finger.   He stopped crying and looked up Jake, sizing him up.    Jake was in love with his son.

"Mr. Green, I'm Dr. Roberts, everything looks good with your son but he's only 3 1/2  pounds and that's too little to stay in Rogue River.    We've called the children's hospital in Denver.   They're sending a transport team.   You're welcome to follow them over but mom will have to stay here for a few more days."

"Okay," Jake said, studying the baby and gently stroking his hand.

"We're gonna need you to step out for a few minutes so we can get some lab work and start an IV.    Give us about 20-30 minutes and you can come back."

Jake nodded and reluctantly pulled his finger out of the baby's grasp.   A nurse showed him how to get out and he went to talk to Becca.

Becca looked at Jake when he walked in the room.

"Have you seen him?   Is he alright?"

"He's little," Jake said, smiling, "but very loud.   He's too little to stay here so they're sending him to Denver.    We need to give him a name.    Have you decided on anything?"

"I was thinking Prescott, Ridge or Slade."

"You're kidding, right?" Jake asked, shaking his head

"No, I'm not. What do you want it to be?" Becca asked, frowning.

"Not something that comes off of a soap opera."

"What's your whole name, Jake?"

"Johnston Jacob."

"He'll be Johnston Jacob Jr. and we'll call him Johnston."

"That'll be Johnston Jacob III and he will never be called Johnston.  Period."

"Okay.   We could call him Stoney?" Becca said.

"How about Jacob?"

Jake was pulled out of his memories by Heather talking in her sleep.

"No, I won't leave him.    Don't make me go with Kane."

Jake pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head, "SShhhh, it's alright.   Kane's not gonna hurt you ever again."    Jake's face changed to a hard mask.   She would never have to worry about that son of a bitch again.

Heather settled back against him and fell back into a deep sleep.   Jake dozed off holding her.   

Heather woke up a little later with an overwhelming sense of nausea.   She had to get to the bathroom.    She slipped out of Jake's arms and ran for the toilet.   

She came out with a cool, wet washcloth held to her mouth and found Gail waiting beside the door with a handful of peppermint candy.    Gail put her arms around Heather and hugged her tightly.

"This'll help," Gail said, holding out a peppermint.  "Do you know how far along you are?"

Heather looked at Gail, shocked, "How did you know?"

"Honey, I've been pregnant.    I was sick for 9 months with Jake.   Each and every day until he was born."

"I'm eight weeks.   Please don't say anything yet, especially to Jacob.   I want Jake and I to tell him together."

"Not a word, Sweetheart, not a word.   I'm so happy," she said, hugging Heather again.    "How about we have the wedding tomorrow?   We can explain it that after everything that has happened you didn't want to wait anymore."

"Yes, that's a wonderful idea," Heather said, smiling.

"Why don't you go back to bed.   Let your stomach settle and then we'll plan a wedding!"

Heather quietly opened the bedroom door and slipped back into bed.   

"Are you alright," Jake said, in a very sleepy voice.

"I'm perfect.   Your mom and I decided to have the wedding tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" Jake said, waking up fully.   "What made my mother decide that?"

"She figured out our little secret," Heather said, finding Jake's hand, and moving it to her abdomen, smiling shyly.

"Nothing gets past her," Jake said, grinning, "it was hell being her kid."

"Okay," Heather said, "We need to get a marriage license, find a suit for you and for Jacob, make sure the minister's free...."

Jake kissed her, "Later, it's too early to start planning.   Go back to sleep."

Jake closed his eyes and pretended to go to sleep.   He waited until Heather was deeply asleep and lightly snoring before slipping out of bed.   He silently dressed and  walked out of the bedroom.   He had almost made it out the front door when Johnston came down the stairs.

"Jake, where're you goin?"

"Out.  I have an errand to run."

"What's goin' on Jake?" Johnston asked.   The look on Jake's face worried him.

"You don't want to know, Dad, trust me.   I'll be home by supper."

"Jake, you're getting married tomorrow.   You have certain responsibilities now."

"I know.   That's why I have to take care of this today."   

"Be careful.    You don't know what might be out there."

"I'll see you tonight, Dad."

Jake pulled his jacket off the hook and walked out the door.     He snorted and shook his head when he saw Hawkins' car pulled in behind his Roadrunner.   

"Figured you'd be heading out this morning.   I wanted to make sure you didn't miss your wedding.    Thought I'd come along.   "

"Hawkins, this isn't a rescue mission."

"I know," Hawkins said, pulling open his coat to reveal a pistol, "it's a hunting trip."

"Wedding's tomorrow," Jake said, pulling his jacket off, throwing it in the backseat and getting in the car, "You're all invited."

"Sounds good," Hawkins said, getting in behind the drivers seat and starting the car.   "Let's hit the road."



**********     **********     **********

Heather woke up finally feeling rested.   She looked over at the clock at saw it was 9:30.   'Yikes,' she thought, 'I never sleep this late!'   She looked over at Jacob's bed.   He was still asleep.   She smiled to herself, he was sleeping with his arm thrown across his eyes...just like Jake.   They were so much alike it was scary.     She stretched and her hand hit a piece of paper taped to the headboard.

She pulled it down and read the note

Heather,

I have a few things I need to take
care of.   See you tonight.
Love you,
J

She pulled on her robe and quietly left the bedroom.    Heather could hear Johnston and Gail in the kitchen.     She walked into the kitchen.   The smell of coffee was almost too much for her but she was able to control the nausea this time.   

Johnston smiled at her.    He got up and gave her a hug.

"Heather, have I ever told you how lucky I think Jake is to have found you?   Congratulations.   By the way, I would really like a granddaughter to complete the set," he said, chuckling.

"I'll keep that in mind," Heather said, smiling, "I'll think girl thoughts but you really should've put your order in with your son a couple of months ago."

Johnston snorted in laughter, "I'll keep that in mind next time around."

Heather poured herself a cup of coffee and sat down at the table, "By the way, where is Jake?"

Gail took the coffee cup out of Heather's hand and shook her head, "You my dear are officially on the wagon.    What do you mean "where's Jake?"  Isn't he in the bedroom?"

"No, he left a note saying he had some stuff to take care of and he would see me tonight."

"He skipped out on the preparations?   I'm gonna skin him," Gail said, exasperated.

"Now, Gail, you know that this is something for women," Johnston said, smiling.  "Jake isn't stupid.    He knows when to stay out of the way.   He'll be home tonight."

"You knew about this?" Gail asked.

"Yes. I talked to him before he left this morning," Johnston said, standing up and putting his hat on.   "On that note, I'm gonna take my grandson and do the same thing.   We'll be home later."

"Johnston don't you dare leave.   We can't do this alone."

"Sure you can.   I have all the faith in the world in you and Heather to make this a gorgeous wedding."

Johnston walked out of the kitchen and Heather and Gail heard him waking Jacob up.

**********     **********     ***********

Heather and Gail sat hunched over the kitchen table comparing lists.   It was just starting to get dark.

"Okay, so we have Emily Taylor for Flower Girl and Jacob for Ring Bearer.    Bonnie will be Maid of Honor.    I am assuming Stanley will be Best Man.    I am also assuming that is one of the errands Johnston and Jacob were taking care of today.    We've got your dress.   I went thru all the closets and between Jake, Eric and Johnston, there's a suit for Jake.   Margaret brought Woody's suit for Jacob.   Eric's playing the piano.   Reverend Dabbs is a friend of the family so he's agreed to do the ceremony without the usual counseling.   Heather, I think that's it."

"Except for flowers for Emily, flowers for me and food.    What are we going to do about those?   And what about the license?    Where is Jake?   Why is he not home yet?" Heather asked, her voice rising.

"I could ask the same question about my wayward husband and grandson," Gail said, patting Heather's hand.   "Everyone will be home soon, Honey."

"Mom, I haven't been able to get through today without throwing up three times.   How am I going to get through tomorrow?   Everyone will know."

"That's easily explained.   Nerves."

Heather got up and started pacing from the table to the window and back.    Every time she got to the window she would stop and look out.   

"OOhhh.... where is he?!   Jimmy's waiting for us at town hall.   He was supposed to be here in time for dinner.   Why isn't he here?!"

"Heather, come sit down.   Let's look at the guest list.   I don't want to miss anyone."

Heather blew a frustrated breath out, stomped over to the table and picked up her list.

Johnston and Jacob walked in the front door.   Jacob was talking animatedly about horses.   

"Where have you two been all day?" Gail asked.

"We went and saw Stanley and arranged for a best man and then we did some work at the ranch."

"You are absolutely filthy, Jacob.   Just look at you," Heather said, irritated.   "Did you roll around in the stalls?"

Jacob stopped, shocked.   Heather had never been cross with him.   "I didn't know I was supposed to stay clean.    I was just playing.  I'm sorry," he said, quietly.

Heather, seeing how her irritation had affected Jacob, stopped and instantly felt guilty.   Tears started running down her face, "Oh, Honey, I'm sorry.   I didn't mean to snap at you.    I'm just tired and I don't feel well."    She walked over to him and hugged him, "Will you forgive me?"

Jacob smiled up at her, "Sure.   I'm crabby when I'm sick too."

"Lets get the shower going.   You have mud in your hair and you smell less than pleasant."

"But, Mama, the shower's cold."

"Well, you should have thought about that before trying to become one with a horse," Heather said, smiling.   Hearing him call her "mama", even occasionally, made her feel better.   She placed her hands on his shoulders and marched him to the bathroom.   

Gail and Johnston laughed when they heard the unmistakable squeals of cold water shock.    Gail went upstairs to get Jacob some clothes.

Jake and Robert Hawkins walked in the door quietly talking.    Johnston looked up from where he was stoking up the fire in the fireplace.   He nodded at them.

"Jake, did you get your errand taken care of?"

"Yeah, it's all done," Jake said, quietly.

Johnston could hear Heather talking to Jacob in the bathroom.   He looked at Jake and raised his eyebrows, "Jake, I feel the need to warn you.   Heather...." Johnston started.

"Heather what?" she asked indignantly.   

Jake turned around, surprised to hear anger in her voice.     Heather was standing directly behind him.    She was positively red with her face a mask of barely controlled anger.    She had drawn herself up to her full 5'4" height and had her hands on her hips.

"Where the hell have you been?" Heather asked, blowing out a very angry breath.

Hawkins and Johnston quietly walked into the kitchen.    Gail had her hands over Jacob's ears and was pushing him gently but firmly into the kitchen. 

"No, Gran, I wanna stay.   I ain't never seen Heather mad before."

"Shh," Gail said, firmly shutting the door.

"What's wrong, Heather?  I told you I wouldn't be back til dinnertime.   I didn't lie."

"You also didn't answer my question.   Where have you been?    Do you realize how much work your mother and I did today.  Alone!   And we're not done yet.   Forget dinner!  There was no time to cook anything.    If you wanted dinner you should have come home in time to help us plan!"

"I'm sorry, Heather.   I didn't realize I needed to be here.    There was something I had to do.   It took longer than I thought it would."

Jake turned away and started to take his coat off.

"Don't turn away from me.   We're not done!    Where did you go!?"  Heather yelled, grabbing his arm.

Jake stopped, he looked at her and then down at his arm, "What is wrong with you!?" he said, finally yelling back, "I told you, I had an errand to run and I ran it.   It couldn't wait.   Heather, I can't get into this with you."    Jake pulled away and took his coat off.   He turned back to her and saw that her anger was fading away.  "Please understand."

She bowed her head into her hands and started to cry.   Jake put his arms around her.   

"Now, seriously, what's wrong?   This isn't you," he said, tilting her face up so that he could look into her eyes.   "Are you alright?"

"I'm tired and nauseated.   I've thrown up three times since lunch.   My stomach is rolling.   I just want tomorrow to be done.    I just want to be Mrs. Johnston Jacob Green Jr."

He kissed the tip of her nose, "Heather, you have been Mrs. Green for months.   That ceremony tomorrow isn't going to make anything different.     We'll do this, for propriety, but it won't change my feelings for you.   I couldn't love you more."

Heather smiled up at him and tears started flowing down her face.

"Why are you crying?   I thought that would make you happy."

She started laughing quietly, "I don't know."

The laughed together and all was right in their world.

Johnston stuck his head out the door, "Is the coast clear?"

Heather smiled and laughed, "Yes, everything's fine"

Johnston walked out of the kitchen followed by Jacob, Gail and Hawkins.

Gail looked at Heather, "Honey, don't forget Jimmy's waiting at Town Hall."

Heather yelped, "I forgot!   Jake we have to go get the marriage license.   Jimmy's waiting for us."

Jake dropped his head, "Do we have to go tonight?  I'm tired," he grumbled.

Gail put her hands on her hips, "Jake Green.  Do not whine.   You haven't done a thing today.   You can take your wife down to town hall and get the marriage license.  We're all tired."   When Gail saw him opening his mouth to respond, she pointed her finger at him, "And I don't want to hear any lip about it!"

"Yes, Ma'am," he said, quietly.

Gail smiled at her oldest son, trying to take the sting out of what she'd just said, "When you get back I'll have something on the table for dinner."

Jake nodded and put his jacket back on.   He held Heather's for her.   They laced their fingers together and walked towards the door.    As they were going out they overheard Jacob talking, with awe in his voice, "Wow, Grandpa, did you hear that?  Dad got in trouble."

Hawkins was trying not to laugh.   What a day it had been...evidently for everyone.   

"Mrs. Green, I have some things in the car for you.   Consider it Jake and Heather's wedding gift."

**********     **********     **********

Jake and Heather walked into the Jericho Town Hall hand in hand.      Just as Gail said, Jimmy was waiting for them.

"Hi, Guys," Jimmy said with a wide grin,  "Congratulations are in order.   Did you know that this is the first marriage license we've issued since September?"

"Really?" Heather asked, smiling at Jimmy.  "I guess most people just don't see the need anymore.   But not us.   I'm a traditional kinda girl."

Jake snorted and smiled.   Heather elbowed him in the ribs, hard.

Gray Anderson walked up to the desk, "What's going on here, Jimmy?"

"Jake and Heather are getting married tomorrow.   They've come for a marriage license."

"Well, isn't that special?   Congratulations.    But you're living together anyway.   Why even bother?"

"Because it's the right thing to do, Gray.   Surely, you remember there's a right and wrong?    You haven't screwed people over for so long that you've forgotten that," Jake said.

Gray pursed his lips, started to say something and then turned around and walked out of the room.

Jimmy laughed quietly with his head bowed, "That was good Jake.   I liked that."

Jimmy opened a drawer and took out a book and a piece of paper, "Okay, Johnston Jacob Green, Jr," he said as he started writing, "Heather, what's your middle name?"

"Jane," Jake said, before she could reply, "after her grandmother."

"And your birthday?   Jake, I know January but is it '74 or '75?   I can't remember.   What about you Heather?"

"January 21, 1974," Jake said, rubbing Heather's back.

"June 6, 1981," Heather said, smiling and thoroughly enjoying the backrub.

Jimmy took the rest of the information quickly and filled out the marriage license.

He handed it to Heather, "You know, Emily is very excited about being in the wedding.   She came in talking so fast I couldn't understand her.   Thanks for asking her."

"Jimmy, she is a precious little girl.   She was one of my favorite children in school."

"She's my princess."

Jake smiled at Jimmy, "Thanks for staying late.   I'm sorry we didn't get here earlier.   See you tomorrow."

**********     **********     **********

An hour later, Jake and Heather walked through the front door.   After what had happened that week and their argument, they had decided to take a little time to be together before the insanity at home continued.   Jake couldn't believe what he saw.   There were steaks, homemade mashed potatoes with gravy, peas smothered with butter and biscuits.   They hadn't eaten like this in months.    Heather's mouth was open.

She looked at Jake, "This was your errand?  You went to the Ravenwood compound and got the food?   Why didn't you just tell me earlier?"

"Uh, yeah, that's it.   That was the errand.   I wanted to surprise you."

Jake took his jacket off and helped Heather with hers.

Gail came out of the kitchen smiling.   Johnston followed with a pitcher of iced tea.

"Jake," Gail said hugging him, "you should have told us you were going back to get the food.   We wouldn't have been nearly as worried."

Jake looked over his mother's head with questioning eyes at Johnston.   Johnston gave Jake a look that told him to be quiet and gave an almost imperceptible shake of his head.

"I'm glad you like it, Mom," Jake said, hugging her back, "I wanted it to be a surprise."

"Let's eat," Johnston said, putting the tea pitcher on the table.

Jake looked around, noticing for the first time that Jacob wasn't in the room.

"Where's Jacob?" he asked.

"I had that boy working at the ranch today.   We rode horses all afternoon.   He was a tired little cowboy.   He's already ate and gone to bed."

"Did you remember to put that stuff on his foot?" Jake asked, serving himself and Heather a huge portion of potatoes.

"Yes, Son, I remembered," Johnston said, "believe it or not, I'm not ready for the old folks home yet."

"Sorry, Dad," Jake said, embarrassed.   "Sometimes I forget I don't have to do this by myself."

They dug into dinner and enjoyed it more than they had enjoyed anything in months.

After helping his mother clear the table, Jake stretched and looked at Heather.

"I'm exhausted.   You ready for bed?" Jake said, holding his hand out for her.

Gail walked over to the foot of the stairs and picked up a gym bag.

She looked at Jake and smiled, holding out the bag, "Here ya go, Jake.   You're spending the night at Stanley's house."

Jake's mouth fell open, "I'm what?"

"You heard me.   You're spending the night at Stanley's.   How many times did you throw a fit because you couldn't spend the night at Stanley's.   Well, now you can, 'cause you can't spend the night before your wedding with the bride."

"You're not serious?" Jake asked.   He looked at Heather who looked as surprised as he felt.

"I'm very serious," Gail said, thoroughly enjoying herself.

"Mother, you know that's like locking the barn door after the horse is gone."

Heather sat on the couch chuckling with her hand covering her mouth.   

Johnston laughed, "Gail, he does have a point."

"Hush, Johnston," Gail said, handing Jake his bag and opening the front door.  "Good night, Dear," she said, kissing him on the cheek and firmly pushing him onto the porch, "You'll see Heather tomorrow."

"Mom??!! Can I at least kiss her good night?"

"On the cheek, like a good little boy."

"Oh never mind," Jake said, stomping down the stairs, muttering curses.

Heather, Johnston and Gail collapsed with laughter.

**********     **********     **********

Jake stood in the Pastor's Study trying to catch his breath.      He looked at his hands....shaking.   This was bad.   He felt like Heather was his wife already.    Why was he freakin' out?    Jake started pacing.     What if she changed her mind?

Johnston walked into the room and saw Reverend Dabbs trying very hard not to smile.   Jake was pacing and biting his thumbnail.   He chuckled.

"Come here, Jake.   Let me fix your tie," Johnston said.

"I'm fine.   I can tie it," Jake said, defensively.   He walked to the mirror and attempted to tie it but his hands were shaking so bad he stopped.

"Humor me.   I haven't gotten to tie your tie since you were a little boy.   Once more, for old times sake."

Jake turned around and Johnston walked over and started tying his tie.   

"You know, Son, you clean up pretty well.    You should dress up more often." 

Gail had gone thru Jake's old clothes and between those and what she could find in Johnston's and Eric's closets, he looked nice.   He was wearing black slacks, white button up shirt, burgundy tie and suspenders.    The jacket pinched across the shoulders so he was waiting til the last possible minute to put it on.   

"Jake, I know you love Heather.   I know you know that this is a big responsibility.   I know you can do it.   Treat her with care and respect.     I want you to have the same kind of marriage that your mother and I have....long and happy and full of laughter," he narrowed his eyes at Jake and smiled, "even during times of stress.    You have to pull together.   I know you will, you already have.    Never go to bed mad, Jake, and always get up with a kind word."    Johnston pulled the knot straight and patted Jake on the shoulder, "I think that's got it."

Jake looked in the mirror.   Perfect.    He bowed his head.    Six years ago he would have rolled his eyes and given Johnston a smartass remark.   Now, with everything that had happened, everything his father said just felt right.   It made perfect sense.

He gave his father a small smile and gripped his arm, "I'll take care of her, Dad.   It's a promise."

"Jake, come here and sit down a minute," Johnston said, motioning Jake to a sofa.    "When I got married to your mother your grandfather gave me about the same talk I just gave you.   There is a family heirloom passed down to the oldest son when he gets married.   Your grandfather gave it to me and I'm passing it to you just like you'll pass it to Jacob."   Johnston pulled a box out of his pocket and handed it to Jake.

Jake opened the box.   It was an Irish copper penny dated 1875.   "Dad, what is this?"

"Tradition says if you have an Irish penny you will always have luck and money.    This is yours now.    Don't tell Eric, though," Johnston warned, chuckling self-consciously.  "He didn't get one."

Jake hugged his father briefly and slipped the box into his pocket.

The door opened and Gail came in followed by Stanley, Jacob and Emily Taylor.

"Woohoo...look at you," Stanley said, grinning, "you going somewhere important today?"

Jake grinned, "I'm not sure Heather will recognize me.   Maybe I should be in jeans and t-shirt?"

"I don't think that would ever happen," Gail said, smiling, "You look very nice, Dear."

Jake looked at Jacob.   He was dressed exactly like him, all the way down to the black suspenders.   His tie was crooked and twisted.     Jake motioned him over.

"Who tied your tie?" Jake asked, kneeling in front of him.   He noticed that his hands were perfectly steady now.

"Heather tried.   Dad, she's crazy in there.  Hair stuff and makeup's flyin everwhere. Sometimes she laughing and then she starts crying.    She tied Emily's bow so tight she couldn't breath.   She tried to tie my tie but almost choked me and then she puked.   Me and Emily hadda leave."

Everyone laughed.

Gail walked over to Johnston and pulled him aside, "Would you please go talk to Heather.   She's a nervous wreck.    I think seeing you would calm her down."   Gail handed him a ring box, "And please take care of this."    Johnston nodded and slipped out of the room.

Stanley grinned and clapped Jake on the back, "Alright, Jake, did you knock up the bride?"

Jake's head jerked up in surprise.   He glanced quickly at his mother.    Gail gave an almost imperceptible shake of her head.

"Stanley!" Gail said, smacking him on the arm, "there are children and a man of God here."

"Well, it wouldn't be the first time," Reverend Dabbs said with a gentle smile.

Gail narrowed her eyes and pointed her finger at Stanley, "You just wait til your day comes.   Let's see how calm you and Mimi are."

**********     **********     **********

"Do we have everything?" Mimi asked.

"What do you mean?" Heather said looking around the room in a panic.   "I'm sure I picked everything up off the bed before we left the house."

"The important everything," Mimi said, looking at Heather like she had just grown two heads, "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.   You've got to have those or you can't get married.   It's bad luck."

"Oh, that is just ridiculous," Margaret said, trying to put foundation on Heather.

"How can you say that?  That is the most important part of the wedding.    If you don't have those things you just might as well forget it."

"Enough," Heather said, "I'm nervous enough.   You're giving me a headache and I can't take anything for it."

"Why not, Sweetie.   I have some Advil in my purse.   I'll run get you some water," Margaret said.

"No," Heather said, eyes big, trying to think up a reason quickly, "I'm uh...afraid they'll just make me sick to my stomach.   I haven't been able to eat anything today."

"Well if you decide later just let me know."

"Ladies, back to the issue at hand.   Do we have the things or not?" Mimi asked.

"Mimi," Bonnie said,"you're doing it again.  Back off."

"Let's just figure it out and be done with it," Heather said, sharply.   "Something old, I have my grandmother's pearls.   Something new, the garter Margaret made.   Thank you, Margaret.  I hadn't even thought about that.   Something borrowed, well the dress. Something blue.....we don't have anything blue," Heather said in a panic.   "What can be find that's blue?"

"Honey, honey, calm down.   Look at the garter again.   There is a blue ribbon sewed into the casing.   You're all set."

Heather breathed a sigh of relief.

Mimi reached across Heather and felt the battery powered curling iron, "Oh, good, it's finally hot."
 
Johnston quietly walked into the Bride's Room.    Heather was sitting in front of the mirror with the same dazed look Jake had.       Mimi, Bonnie and Margaret Taylor were hovering over her.

"Mimi, I don't want big hair," Heather said, testily.

"It's not big, Heather.   Just close your eyes and don't move.    We'll do this," Mimi said, in an exasperated tone.

"Hello, Ladies," Johnston said, "can I have a moment with my daughter, please."

Bonnie looked at him gratefully, "Yes.  Please calm her down."

Johnston walked behind Heather and placed his hands on her shoulders.   

"You're beautiful, Heather.   Gail's dress looks beautiful on you.   I remember a Saturday 40 years ago when I watched her walk down the same aisle you'll be walking down shortly.     You and Jake are going to be just as happy as we've been.   You're a good woman and he knows that.    Remember, Honey, he's a Green.   He can be a hardheaded, stubborn SOB but if a Green man loves you, you never have a thing to fear.   He'll take care of you forever."

"I know but, Dad, I'm so nervous.   What if Jake changes his mind.   What if he doesn't want to marry me."

"Honey, I've just been in there with him.   I have never seen a man more in love than Jake, well unless it was me.   Just between you and me, I think he just might edge me out on that one," Johnston said, bending down and kissing her cheek.   "Relax, everything's gonna be fine."

Johnston pulled up a chair and turned Heather so they were looking at each other.   "Heather, bridal tradition says you have to have something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue..."

"We've got it covered, Dad."

"Let me finish.   And a lucky sixpence in her shoe.     It's been a long time but the Green family is originally from Ireland.    We hold these wedding traditions very dear.     When Gail and I started having kids my mother passed on a family heirloom for our first daughter.   Well, we never had a daughter.   Gail has kept this for 33 years.   She was hoping to give it to our first granddaughter," Johnston said, pulling the jewelry box out of his pocket and handing it to Heather.   

Heather opened the box and saw an Irish sixpence nestled inside.

"Who knew we would have our first daughter 40 years after we got married,"  Johnston said, his eyes bright.   He cleared his throat, "This sixpence guarantees the newlywed couple a lifetime of health, happiness, wealth and wedded bliss."

"Oh, Dad," Heather said, kissing his cheek, "Thank you."

"Give me your left shoe," Johnston said, taking it and placing the coin in the toe.

Mimi, Bonnie, Gail and Margaret walked in and looked at Johnston, "Everything's fine here.   Right, Heather?   She is going to let you fine ladies finish and in an hour we're going to add another Green to the family bible."

**********     **********     **********

"Okay, Jake, this is your five minute warning," Gail said.   She motioned towards the door, "Emily, Johnston, Jacob come with me."

Gail stopped Jacob as he went out the door, "Where's your jacket?"

"Heather's got it."

"Where're the rings?"

"In my pocket.   I'm not gonna lose 'em.   I know what to do.   I've done this job before ya know," Jacob said, rolling his eyes in a perfect imitation of his father.

Gail laughed, bent down and kissed his cheek, "Sorry, Dear, I forget sometimes that you're all grown up.  Let's get in our places."  She looked up at Jake, "Five minutes, Jake."

Jake started to breathe fast and he noticed his hands were shaking again.

Stanley watched the transformation of cool, calm and collected Jake to deer in the headlights Jake.   He placed his hand on Jake's shoulder for support.

"It'll all be over soon.   Just take a deep breath."

They heard the first notes of Pachelbel's Canon play.   Stanley opened the door and gently but firmly pushed Jake to get him started.    They walked to the front of the altar and turned around.

The church was packed.   This was the first happy social event that had occurred in Jericho in months and no one was going to miss it.

Jake smiled as he watched Bonnie walk slowly down the aisle and take her place as Maid of Honor.    Jacob came next at a very sedate pace.   He was taking his job as ringbearer very seriously.   Emily Taylor followed Jacob throwing down her path of flower petals.     When the wedding party had taken their places the doors to the back of the church were closed and the CD player with Pachelbel was turned off.   The guests stood in anticipation.   Eric sat down at the piano and began playing the Wedding March.

Jake smiled and visibly relaxed when he saw Heather walking down the aisle on the arm of Johnston Green.   She was absolutely beautiful.     He recognized that dress from the wedding picture on his parents' mantel.    It couldn't have looked better on Heather if it had been custom made for her.

Heather and Johnston stopped beside Jake.    Reverend John Dabbs took his place.

"Who gives this woman to be wed?"

"Her family does."

Johnston placed Heather's hand on top of Jake's and took his place in the pew beside Gail.

"Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony.     If there are any present here who have reservations speak now or forever hold your peace.

Jake and Heather have chosen to speak their own vows."

Heather took a deep breath and turned to face Jake, "I, Heather, take thee Jake, to be my husband, secure in the knowledge that you will be my constant friend, my faithful partner in life, and my one true love.


On this special day, I give to you in the presence of God and these witnesses my sacred promise to stay by your side as your wife in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, as well as through the good times and the bad."

Jake smiled softly, "I, Jake, take thee Heather, to be my wife, secure in the knowledge that you will be my constant friend, my faithful partner in life, and my one true love.


On this special day, I give to you in the presence of God and these witnesses my sacred promise to stay by your side as your husband in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, as well as through the good times and the bad."

"Each of you has rings for each other.  May we have them please?" Reverend Dabbs asked, looking at Jacob.

Jacob stepped forward and held out his hand.   Jake was pleased to see his grandparent's wedding rings.   It just felt right to him.

Jake picked up his grandmother's ring and placed it on Heather's finger, "Heather, I give you all I am and all I am to become.   Take this ring, and with it my promise of faith, patience and love, for the rest of my life."

Heather placed Grandpa Green's wedding ring on Jake's hand, "Jake, I give you all I am and all I am to become.   Take this ring, and with it my promise of faith, patience and love, for the rest of my life."

"As a ceaseless reminder of this hour, and of the promise you have made to each other, these rings also speak of the oneness you now experience as husband and wife," Reverend Dabbs said.    He smiled at them, "You may kiss the bride."

Jake grinned crookedly, "I thought we'd never get to this part," and pulled her to him tightly.    Their kiss spoke volumes.    The wedding guests whistled and applauded.

"Friends and Family, I present Mr. and Mrs. Jake Green."

**********     **********     **********

 
Jake slid behind Heather and kissed her on the cheek.   Heather had been talking to Darcy Hawkins about the best way to homeschool Sam.

"Can I borrow my wife for minute?" he said.

Darcy smiled with amusement and chuckled, "I think that can be arranged."   She looked at Heather and patted her on the arm, "We'll talk another time."

Heather turned around and looked at her husband, "And just what is it you need to borrow me for?"

Jake smiled crookedly, took her hand and pulled her towards the dark end of the hall, "I want to borrow you for things good little boys don't talk about at a wedding reception but I'll settle for kissing you."

"Jake, have you seen the kids?" Gail asked walking down the hall looking in the study and then the bathroom.   "All four of them seem to be missing."

Jake dropped his head and sighed, "No, Mom, I haven't seen them.   I don't think they could have gotten too far."

"Well, could you find them?" Gail asked, with irritation edging her voice, "It's time to cut the cake."

Jake groaned, kissed Heather on the forehead and smirked, "Sure, Mom.   I wasn't doing anything else."

Jake walked back into the living room rolling the sleeves up on his shirt.   He looked around and didn't see any of the kids.   Jake went into the kitchen.  They weren't there but the window was open and he heard their voices.    He walked to the backdoor and stood just inside so they couldn't see him but he could see and hear them.

The boys were sitting on the back steps and Emily was standing at the rail.   

"Hey pass that over here," Woody said, reaching for a box of Froot Loops, one of the sugary treats from the Ravenwood haul.

Jake smiled and thought, "Like a joint at a concert.   Pass the good stuff down, Dude."

"Are they going on a honeymoon?" Emily asked.

"Where would they go dum dum?" Woody asked.

Emily stuck her tongue out at her brother.

"I'm cold in my dress.   I need a jacket," Emily said.

"You shoulda brought one then," Woody said, reaching for another handful of cereal.

"Hey, all I have is my sweater.   Sorry," Sam said.

"Jakey, can I have your jacket?"

Jacob looked at Woody and Sam and rolled his eyes.   He took his suit jacket off and handed it towards her, "Sure, Emily.  Don't worry, I don't get cold."

"Hold it for me?" Emily said, smiling.

Jacob exhaled with irritation but held it for her.   He sat back down and reached for the cereal box.

"I don't know if they're going on a honeymoon.   They sure do kiss alot, I know that," Jacob said, shaking his head and making a face.

"Hmmff," Emily snorted in irritation.  "They love each other.   It's like Mamma's soap opera.   Very romantic."

The boys leaned forward, looked at each other, looked at Emily and in unison said, "YUCK!"

Emily put her hands on her hips and stamped her foot, "BOYS!"   She whirled around and stomped into the house, almost running into Jake.

"Sorry, Mr. Green."

Jake, trying hard not to laugh, "It's alright, Sweetheart.   They're looking for ya in the living room."

Jake pushed open the screen door, "OK, Guys.    If you want some cake it's time."

The boys pushed past Jake without a second glance.     

"Boys!  Don't touch it yet!" Gail yelled, trying to be heard above the din.   

She motioned for Jake and Heather, "I don't know if we will ever be able to get these developed but I found a box of disposable cameras and I want to take some pictures.   Jake, get you coat.   Heather, put your shoes back on."   

"Jacob? Don't run off again.   Where's your jacket?" Gail said, catching Jacob as he tried to get past her with a limping run.

"Emily's got it," Jacob said, trying to get away from his grandmother.   "I didn't get married.   Why do I have to take pictures?"

"Because you were in the wedding," Gail said, pushing him towards the stairs.  "Stanley, Bonnie, Emily come with me," she said motioning them over.

For the next thirty minutes they took pictures.

"Gr-an," Jacob whined, "I want some cake.   Can we please be done?"

Jake walked behind him and looked at Gail. "Me too.   Please.   I'm tired of pictures," Jake said, winking and smiling at Jacob.

Johnston smiled, "Yeah, Gail, don't you want to save at least a few of those for any babies that might come along?"

"Johnston!" Gail whispered, "Not in front of the K-I-D-S."

"Yeah," Jake laughed, enjoying his mother's embarrassment, "they might be able to spell."

Jake looked over at Heather.    She was starting to get pale and look sick.     He instantly stopped laughing.

"Mom, Heather's getting sick," Jake whispered, "keep everyone busy."    He quietly but quickly pulled her into the bedroom and closed the door.

"Lay down for a minute," Jake said.   He noticed a pack of oyster crackers and a bottle of water beside the bed.   "Here, try a few of these."    He poured some water on one of his tshirts and placed it on her forehead.

After a few minutes the pink started coming back to her cheeks.

"Better?" Jake asked.

"Yes, thank you."

"Mrs. Green, pull that hot dress off."

"Mr. Green, this is not the time.    We have guests and we need to get back to them," she said, rolling her eyes at Jake and chuckling.

Jake smiled, "You find a cooler dress.   I'll attend to the guests."   He slipped quietly out of the bedroom.

"Where's Heather?" Mimi asked, seeing Jake come out of the bedroom.

"She's changing clothes.   She was afraid she would get food on the wedding dress."

Heather walked out of the bedroom just then wearing the same baby pink dress she had worn the night Jake proposed.   

He smiled softly, "That's my favorite dress."

Heather raised up on tiptoes and whispered, "Your father told me he wants a granddaughter so I am thinking girl thoughts."

Jake chuckled and kissed her, "You go right ahead thinking them."

"Everyone gather round," Gail said, motioning them all towards the table.    "Let's cut the cake before these boys worry me to death." 

"We ain't done nothin'," Jacob said, trying to sound innocent but failing miserably considering there was chocolate icing on his chin.

"Really?" Gail asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Jakey?" Emily said, tugging on his arm.   She put her hand in front of her mouth and whispered loudly, "You have frosting on your chin."   
 
"Oops," he said, wiping the frosting off.
 
Everyone laughed, including Jacob.
 
With the cake cut and toasts given, the evening started winding down.
 
Stanley cleared his throat to try to get some semblance of quiet, "Jake, I don't really think you need a clock radio and neither one of you can cook so a toaster oven is out.   Bonnie, Mimi and I talked about it and our wedding gift is asking Jacob to visit us for a week.   Have a happy honeymoon!"
 
Johnston stepped up, "And for the second part of that gift, do you remember your grandfather's cabin on the lake?   
 
Jake thought for a minute and his face lit up, "We still have that place?"
 
"We do.   I go out there at least three or four times every summer.   Stanley, Bonnie and Mimi went out yesterday and got it all fixed up.   The lake is full of fish and the deck is perfect for relaxing and reading a romance novel.   The car's loaded.   Have fun."   Johnston held out the keys.
 
"What?" Jake asked in amazement.   He looked at Heather and saw the same look of surprise.   He hadn't even thought about a honeymoon.   This was a total surprise.
 
He looked at Heather, "Sound good to you?"
 
"Absolutely perfect."
 
"It's a long drive," Gail said, trying to fight back tears. "Get changed, Jake, so you can leave and get there before too late."
 
"Wait, wait, wait," Mimi said, "there are single people here.   You can't leave without throwing the garter and the flowers!"
 
Jake grinned, "There's a garter?" he said throwing Heather a lecherous look.
 
Stanley leered and wolf whistled, "Let's have it!"
 
Jake led Heather to a chair and made her sit down.    Kneeling in front of her he made a show of finding the garter underneath her dress.    He very slowly removed it, grinning the whole time.    Heather was as red as a beet.   
 
Johnston, trying not to laugh and failing miserably, "Alright now.   There's children here."
 
"Clear a space.   All you single men gather round.    The man to catch this will be the next one to get married," Jake said, laughing.
 
Stanley and Eric stepped forward.
 
Heather smiled, "Now I see three other single men.   Woody, Sam, Jacob...you too."
 
"I'm not gettin' married," Sam said.
 
"Nope, gotta do it," Robert Hawkins said, laughing.   "You're a single, available man."
 
The three boys got as far back from Stanley and Eric as they could in hopes of getting no where near the garter.
 
Jake stretched the garter as far as he could and let it fly, overshooting both Stanley and Eric and hitting Jacob in the chest.
 
"Jake you never could throw worth spit," Stanley said, in mock disgust.
 
"I tried, I can't help it if you can't catch," Jake said laughing.
 
Jacob looked at the garter with big eyes and didn't utter a word.
 
Heather picked up her bouquet of fresh cut daisies, "Alright, Ladies, your turn."
 
Mimi, Allison, Bonnie, Mary and Emily Taylor all moved to the front of the group.   Mimi tried to clear a large space around her.   Emily stepped up right beside her and glared up at Mimi, staking out her spot.
 
Heather turned her back and tossed the bouquet over her shoulder.   It flew backwards and clipped the ceiling causing it to fall like a rock right between Emily and Mimi's feet.
 
The looked at each other, narrowing their eyes and started moving at the same time.   Emily having the advantage of being short fell on top of the bouquet and yelled, "MINE!"
 
Emily got up and brushed herself off, looking very pleased.   She looked around the room and spying Jacob, smiled, "Look, Jakey, I caught the bouquet!"
 
Everyone in the room erupted in laughter.
 
Jimmy walked across the room, "Um, Jake, when you get back from your honeymoon, I think we need to talk."
 
Twenty minutes later, with all the thank you's and goodbyes said, Jake and Heather drove off into the sunset.

**********     **********     **********

Thanks so much for reading my story!!    I hope you liked it.    Feedback is always appreciated.

Chapter 20: Honeymoon at Bass Lake by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.    I do not own the character Harry Potter or Mad Eye Moody.   I do not own anything whatsoever to do with the Harry Potter series.   I am not affiliated in any way with J.K.Rowling....I am just a HUGE fan.    I am borrowing them for a while and I promise to give them back.

Special thanks to Marzee, Nightsky and JT.    They are great to work with.   I don't think I could have gotten this one done without them!!!   

AUTHOR'S NOTE:   THERE MIGHT BE A FEW PARTS THAT ARE A PG-13 OR BETTER RATING.   FOR THE YOUNGER MEMBERS OF OUR BOARD (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) YOU HAVE BEEN DUELY WARNED.

**********     **********     **********
HONEYMOON AT BASS LAKE
 
Light was just starting to filter thru the window when Heather opened her eyes.    She was alone in bed.    She frowned, wondering where Jake was.    She got out of bed and looked out the window.    Jake was standing on the dock, wearing only a pair of faded jeans.   'Jake does amazing things for those jeans,' she thought, smiling.  He was drinking a cup of coffee and watching the sun come up.     Heather looked around and saw Jake's long sleeve white dress shirt draped across the bedside lamp, where it had been carelessly thrown the night before.    She slipped it on and walked outside.
 
Jake heard Heather padding barefoot down the dock towards him.   He turned around, smiled, "That shirt looks much better on you than it did on me," he said, opening his arms for her.   
 
Heather looked down at the shirt that fell halfway to her knees and chuckled.
 
"It's early.   You should be sleeping," Jake said, tucking her head under his chin and hugging her tightly.
 
"I got lonely.   What're you doing out here so early?"
 
"Nothin' really.    This is my favorite time of the day.   Back in San Diego, I got up most mornings and watched the sun wake up.    It's always so quiet and peaceful.    It was the only time of the day that I could sneak a cigarette and no one would know.  One positive thing about the bombs.   It got me to do what I had been trying to do for years.    Stop smoking," Jake chuckled.   "Listening to the waves at dawn, it was the only time of the day that wasn't insane.   Here at the lake, the sound of the water and birds are a lot like listening to the waves.   Very relaxing."
 
Heather reached up and tangled her hand in his hair, "I didn't know I married a poet.    Tell me about our house.    I've never been anywhere but the Midwest.   I don't know how the ocean looks or what it feels like."
 
Jake leaned his head back into her hand, closed his eyes and smiled.    He pulled away, took her hand and led her towards the cabin, "Come on.   Lets get back inside.   It's still cool out."
 
Jake refilled his coffee cup, sat down on the couch and pulled Heather into his lap, "So, you've officially been Mrs. Green for almost a day now.   Are you ready to run for the hills?"
 
She pulled Jake's head down and pressed a kiss on his lips, "Mr. Green, you couldn't get rid of me if you tried.   I'm afraid you're stuck with me."
 
He hugged her tightly to him.   Jake still couldn't believe Heather was his wife.   After the things Sara had said when she told him she was leaving, he was surprised anyone would want to be with him at all.
 
"You asked about San Diego?  What do you want to know about it?"
 
"Jake, I want to know everything.    What was it like?   What's the ocean like?   Is it warm there?   What did you do there besides fly planes?"
 
"Slow down," Jake laughed.   "Wanna eat something first?"
 
"No, I'm fine.   I'm dying to hear this story.   You wouldn't believe the things I've thought up ever since you showed me and Mom those passports.    I have a confession.   After I found out that's where you lived I looked up everything I could about San Diego.   I could probably work for San Diego Tourism," she laughed.   "Where did you live??  La Jolla, Beach-Barber, Black's Beach??""
 
"You went to the Jericho library?  Heather, that place was condemned after the fire.   Why in the world would you go there to find out stuff about San Diego.   All you had to do was ask," he hugged her to him again.  "That was so dangerous.   You can't do stuff like that.   It would kill me if something happened to you."
 
"No, Jake, not the Jericho Community Library.   They got all the books out of there that they could and they're all up at the High School now.   I spent some time there with Darcy Hawkins.   She was looking for stuff for Sam for school.   I looked at California stuff in between helping her.   You'll never lose me, Jake.   Ever," Heather said, cupping his cheek in her hand and kissing the side of his mouth.   She snuggled against him, her finger drawing designs on his bare chest, "Now, tell me about our house and our neighborhood."
 
He chuckled and kissed the top of her head, "If you keep doing that we'll never make it to the San Diego story."
 
"Okay, I'll stop.   Now talk, Mr. Green."
 
"I'll talk after we eat.   I can't have you heaving on me," he said laughing.   He carried her across the living room, shouldered the door to the bedroom open and put her on the bed, "How does breakfast in bed sound?"
 
"Well, it would sound good except for one thing.   Jake, you can't cook.   How are we going to eat if I'm in bed."
 
"Mrs. Green, if I am remembering correctly, you can't cook either.   Besides, it's just breakfast,"  Jake said, laughing, "Get comfortable.   I'll be right back."
 
Jake came back into the bedroom carrying two paper plates, his coffee cup and a large glass filled with orange liquid.
 
"Since you're pregnant, I'll let you choose," Jake said putting the plates down, "strawberry or blueberry?"
 
Heather laughed when she saw what was on the plates, "Jake, I haven't had Poptarts since September!   Where did you find Poptarts?  How bout we split them and have one of each.   What's that?" she asked, pointing at the glass of orange liquid.
 
"They came from supplies we got Friday.  The orange stuff is Tang.  I think that's from Stanley.   He used to drink that stuff like there was no tomorrow.   There's a whole jar of it.  I can't stomach it but it's full of vitamins and nutrients and stuff that's good for you, so drink it," he said, pointing and winking at her.
 
After they finished their breakfast feast Jake sat back against the headboard, "Alright, Mrs. Green.     I didn't live in La Jolla.   It's nice but very very expensive.   The house was in Coronado."

"Coronado?!  Jake, wow.  That is a nice area.   It can't be any less expensive than
La Jolla though."
 
"Okay, Babe, here's more of the story.   This is something that stays between us.   No one else can know about this.    I'm a Navy SEAL.   A pool guy.   I haven't worked as a SEAL in a lot of years but I've had all the training.   I told you back in February that I worked for the government.   One of the perks of my job was my house and Nana Kate.   There was a group of us.   We all worked for the Company.   We lived in a secluded gated neighborhood that was for Company people on the Naval base."
 
"A SEAL?  You mean a SEAL SEAL? Like a real SEAL?!  Like G. I. Jane?   You know, that movie...it had Demi Moore and Viggo Mortensen?" Heather exclaimed, mouth open. "I married a SEAL," she whispered.
 
"Yeah, you did but I've got more hair and less boobs," Jake laughed.   "You know, that was a really bad movie.   Demi looked good but that ain't the way it is."
 
"I don't care how inaccurate it was.....there's nothing wrong with Viggo Mortensen!"
 
Jake slid down in bed, leaned over Heather and thoroughly kissed her.   He was relieved to get the whole SEAL thing out in the open.   "Is that right?" he laughed, slowing trailing his fingers across her stomach.    He slid his hand down and slowly started to unbutton her shirt and smiled rakishly at her.   
 
She reached up and tangled her fingers in his hair and pulled his face down to hers and gave him a lingering kiss.  "No, not really.   Your eyes are prettier and your lips are much more kissable."
 
"Umm..," Jake said, nuzzling her neck, "that's nice."   He slowly slid his hand to the top of the shirt and nibbled her ear lobe, "What did you want to know about the house?   Did you want to know about the upstairs?" he said, whispering and slowly unbuttoning the top button of the shirt.   Jake slid his hand back down to the last button he had unbuttoned, "Or did you want to start at the bottom and work our way up?"
 
"How about we talk about the house later?" Heather said, in a quiet throaty voice.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
The breeze off the lake held the promise of rain that night.   Jake and Heather could see lightning in the distance and hear the occasional rumble of thunder.
 
Jake walked up on the porch carrying two plates.
 
"Get ready for a taste sensation," he said, smiling at Heather.   "Tonight, we have fresh grilled Spam and scrambled eggs.   And you said I couldn't cook."
 
"Yum," Heather laughed.
 
Jake bent down and kissed Heather's temple, "You feelin' better now?"
 
Heather had spent the afternoon nauseated, "Yes, thank you.   I've got to remember to eat a little bit every so often.   Whether I'm hungry or not," she said, smiling.
 
"I'm sorry you're sick," he said, squeezing her hand and then grinning broadly, "but I'm happy for the reason."
 
"Are you really?   I mean this has all come on so fast.   I mean boom, we're a couple and then we coast along for a couple of months," she smiled at him, "a nice coast, and then boom boom, we're pregnant and married.   Are you sure you're happy?   I don't want you to feel trapped, Jake."
 
Jake knelt down in front of her, put his arms around her waist and laid his head in her lap, "Heather, trapped is the very last thing I feel.   I feel lucky.    I still can't believe you're taking on me.   Let's face it, I have a less than stellar reputation around Jericho.    I have a very dark past.     I come with some pretty big baggage.    You're suddenly an instant mother to an eight year old boy who's behavior can be less than pleasant.    Babe,  I love you.    I think I loved you from the first minute I saw you on that school bus.     I would have married you regardless.    I can't stop grinning when I think about our baby.   I can't wait.  I feel so lucky to have you," he said, kissing her stomach.
 
She hugged him back, bent down and kissed the top of his head, "I love you too," she said in a thick voice.
 
Jake reached up and wiped her tears away with his thumb and smiled at her.
 
"Don't pay any attention to me," she chuckled thru her tears, "I'm a hormonal basket case."
 
"I love every bit of it," Jake said, his eyes curiously bright.    He stood up and kissed her cheek. 
 
"Now, on to dinner," he said, clearing his throat, "we can have designer spring water (holding up a bottle of Sam's Water), fresh, boiled, sparkling well water straight from the Jericho hand pump (holding up a jug) or Tang with your choice of water?"
 
Heather laughed. "I think I'll take the designer spring water," she said, reaching for the bottled water.   "We were talking about the house in San Diego this morning," Heather said, "I would still love to know about it.   That and what the ocean's like and what living on the beach is like?   What's California like?   I want to know everything."
 
"Everything's a pretty tall order!    Living on the beach is great.   You'd love it.   There's a smell in the morning, when the sun is just coming up and the wind is blowing in off the water.   I can't even describe it.   The water is nice....but cold.    You have to go in in a wet suit a lot of the time.    Surfing is fun.    I love to surf," he said, laughing, "I had taught Jake the basics before we left.   He was getting pretty good."
 
"I'm dying to know.   Is Black's Beach really a nude beach?   I mean are there really boobs and whohas just hanging out there for everyone to see?  I just know I would be pointing and laughing," Heather said with big eyes.
 
Jake burst out laughing, "Whohas?  I don't think I've ever heard that word.    Yes, it is a nude beach.   Where the nudey part actually is, isn't on Black's Beach anymore because it's San Diego City and it's illegal  They occasionally have a round up.   The nudey part is Torrey Pines State Beach.   You have to be careful and watch the boundaries.    And, no, I never tried it but I had a couple of friends who went frequently.   I had to listen to them complain every time the rangers reduced the "legal" part."
 
"What was the house like?" Heather asked, loving the enthusiasm she heard in Jake's voice when he talked about living on the beach.
 
"The house was white and had lots of windows.   It had three floors, four bedrooms and four baths."
 
"Jake, that's pitiful," Heather laughed.   "Tell me about the house.   Where was your bedroom?   Where did Jacob sleep?  I want details, Jake.  Details!"
 
Jake groaned, "Yes, Ma'am."
 
There was a loud crack of thunder and the sky lit up.   
 
"How bout we take it inside?" Jake asked, holding out his hand.  "Just let me clean up here and I'll be in."    The screen door slammed behind Jake just as the rain started to fall.
 
Heather had lit candles and was sitting on the couch, waiting for Jake.    He sat down and propped his feet up on the coffee table.   
 
He patted his lap, "Why don't you lay down?   Get some rest."    Heather lay down with her head in his lap and Jake pulled a blanket over her.
 
"Living in California," Jake said, smiling, "it was great.   We loved it.   Everything's there.   San Diego is usually warm but if you want cold and snow head North.    There's every kind of person there---good, bad, beautiful, not so beautiful, weird and normal.    I even got used to the earthquakes.   The only thing I never got used to was the way people in California order a pizza.    I'm sorry but pesto, sun dried tomato slices and sushi do not belong on a pizza," he laughed.  "There is the best burger place out there too.   In 'N Out Burgers.   They put every other burger place to shame."
 
"I think I'd like California and I would definitely like a good burger.   Now tell me about the house!" Heather said impatiently.
 
"The house,"  Jake sighed.  "There were lots of windows and the floors were hardwood so it was bright and loud.   You know, I'm really not good at this, I'm sorry.    Um... Jacob's and Kate's rooms was on the top floor.    Jacob's room was all airplanes."
 
Heather turned her head and looked up at Jake, "Gee, I wonder where he got that idea from?"
 
"Jacob loves to fly," Jake said, smiling.   "One time I was able to sneak him into the cockpit of a F-14.   You'd have thought he'd died and gone to heaven.    That was when I was Lt. Jake Green.   Luckily, I didn't have to go to Navy functions much.   I hated the whites."
 
"I'd love to see you in a white uniform," Heather said, laughing.
 
Jake, playing with her hair, laughed, "That thing was so uncomfortable and hot as Hell.   I hated wearing it.   I avoided it whenever I could.   I only went to required functions and those I tried to get out of every time I could."
 
"So where was your bedroom," Heather asked, trying to get back to the subject at hand.
 
"I was downstairs.    I didn't exactly have regular hours, and that way I didn't disturb Jake and Kate if I came in late.   Kate's wonderful but if she don't get her full eight hours, she's a bear.   A mean bear," Jake chuckled.   "Then there was the ground floor where the computer and TV were.   That's about it.   Great location but not too grand."
 
Jake leaned his head against the wall and closed his eyes, trying to forget that last weekend with Sara.    How two sisters could be so different he didn't know.   Heather was all love and sweetness.    That last weekend, Sara had been pure venom and hate.   He still cringed inside when he thought that Jacob had heard the beginnings of the argument before being rushed out of the house by the nanny with firm instructions to not return until she was called.   Even if San Diego had survived, which he doubted, there was no way he could ever live in that house again.   The things that had been said in the living room and bedroom had left too many bad memories.   Things he would never tell Heather.  He suddenly realized he didn't care if he ever saw California again....that was his old life.    Kansas was pretty good this time around.   There was love here, with Heather.   They were a family.
 
Jake felt Heather caress his cheek.   He smiled.
 
"Don't go to sleep on me," Heather said, teasingly.
 
"I'm not sleeping.   Just resting my eyes."
 
"I didn't believe it when my kids told me that at school," Heather laughed, sitting up cupping his cheek, "and I don't believe you, either!"
 
"Ok, caught," Jake said, kissing her palm.   
 
"Jake," Heather said, moving to sit in Jake's lap and wrapping her arms around his neck , "I love the ranch house.   Do you think we could fix it up this summer and have it ready for winter?"
 
Jake pressed his lips together, he had known this was coming.    He hated himself for what he was getting ready to say because he knew it would break her heart.
 
"Heather," Jake said quietly, "I know you love that house.    It's a great house.   I have so many happy memories there.    But, Babe, I don't think we can do that.   I know it's awkward living with Mom and Dad but we can't be that far out of town, especially with a baby coming.    It's just not safe.    What if something happened to you and I had to get you to the hospital?   April died and she was at the hospital.    Jacob was born early.   Heather, we just can't risk it.    There's also the issue of gas for the cars.   And food, what if Gray decides the families outside the town limits don't get rations.   We just can't right now.   I'm sorry."
 
Heather's face fell and her eyes filled with tears.   She bowed her head and tried to blink the tears away.   When she looked back up she was smiling, but the smile wasn't reaching her eyes.   "If that's what you think is best and safest, I guess we stay put."
 
Jake could see disappointment written all over Heather.   He felt awful and wanted to kick himself.
 
"I'm sorry, Heather," Jake said, kissing her forehead, "I know it's what you want.   It's what I want too.   I would love for it to be just you, me, Jacob and the baby.   I promise, it'll happen.    When the world isn't quite so crazy, we'll move out there."
 
Heather nodded in understanding.   Jake hugged her, feeling like a jerk.    He had been married one day and he had already made her cry and not for hormonal reasons.   'Way to go, Jake,' he thought. 'What a guy, disappointing your pregnant wife.'

Jake placed his hand on her stomach, "When are you supposed to start feeling him move?"
 
"Him?" Heather laughed.  "It might be a her.   I don't really know for sure but not for a long time.    Do you want a boy or a girl?"
 
"I don't care," Jake said, "I want a baby born when it's supposed to be.    That's all I ask."    He hugged her tightly, "Did you know that there hasn't been a girl born in the Green family in like a hundred years?   All the babies have been boys.    I remember my mother talking about that when I was little.   She always wanted a baby girl.    She came close...she got Eric!"  Jake laughed.
 
Heather laughed and smacked his chest, "Jake, that's not nice!"
 
"You've never seen the Eric I grew up with!     You should've heard his early morning shower concerts," Jake laughed.   "He can't drink either.    Has Dad ever told you the story of the one and only time Eric ever got drunk?"
 
Heather chuckled, "No.  I've not heard that one."
 
"He woke Mom and Dad up one night.   It was the middle of the night.   He was shining this flashlight in their face.   Dad thought they were being robbed or something.  Nope.   It was Eric.   He had drunk a beer.   One beer.   And he felt the need to confess that he was drunk.   Dad was so mad.   I laughed my ass off," Jake said, chuckling.
 
"And what about you, Mr. Jake Green?"
 
"Oh, I'm quite capable of holding down more than one beer without a hangover and puking!  And I never got caught."
 
"All I'm saying is, you'd better be careful, Jake," Heather said, smiling up at him, "someone might make you pay for those words.    We're gonna have a teenager in a few years ourselves."
 
"Naa.  We don't have to worry about Jacob," Jake said, smiling and bowing his head to kiss the back of Heather's neck.   "I'll threaten him.    I'll tell him I'll lock him in his room til he's 32 if he tries to pull the things I did as a teenager.    Thirty-two seems to be a good age for Green men.    Besides, he thinks girls are yucky.   He told me that."
 
"That'll wear off one day, Jake, " Heather said, massaging Jake's neck.
 
"I hope so!   We'll just scare him with something else," he laughed, pulling Heather's shirt off her shoulder and kissing it.    With agonizing slowness he ran his hand up Heather's thigh.
 
"That'll work," Heather chuckled.     She got up, took Jake's hand and pulled him towards the bedroom.   "I think we'll be more comfortable discussing discipline for a teenager in here."
 
"You're probably right," he said, picking her up, kissing her neck and nibbling her ear.
 
**********     **********     ***********
 
The next afternoon found Jake and Heather enjoying the sun and breeze off the lake.
 
Jake had found his father's fishing stuff in a closet in the cabinet and decided to give it a try.   It had been years since he had fished.   Heather, not interested in drowning worms, had spread a blanket on the dock and was reading.
 
Jake looked back at her and smiled, "Whatcha reading?"
 
"Harry Potter....again.   You know that last book would probably have been out this summer.   Now we'll never know what happens to Harry and Voldemort.    I'm rereading them so I can try to figure out what the horcruxes are."
 
"Heather, I love you.   I read the last book on a flight to London.    I can't sleep on planes.  I don't trust other pilots.    I gotta make sure they're doin' it the right way," Jake said, looking at her sheepishly and chuckling.    "Everyone else always slept the whole way and I read and listened to an iPod.    I bought the whole set at Harrod's while we were in London.   I re-read them while we were on vacation.    I never could figure out what the horcruxes were.   When it got past the obvious ones, I was done.     If Europe still exists, we may get to read the 7th book.    It'll just be delayed a few more years.   I like the British versions better anyway."
 
"Maybe we'll have them all figured out by then!" Heather said, smiling.
 
"The J man loves Harry Potter.   He was reading the fourth one for school.   That AR reading thing."
 
"What do you think he's doing right now?   Do you think he is having fun at Stanley's house?" Heather asked.
 
"I think he's having a blast.   I talked to Stanley before we left.   He told me that he had pulled out Bonnie's dirt bike and got it in running condition.    He also said something about a super soaker.    I don't think he's had anybody to play with since Bonnie grew up.   She was an unbelievable tomboy when she was younger and I think Stanley misses it.    By the time Jacob leaves, Mimi is going to be searching high and low for some sort of birth control," Jake said, laughing.
 
"You know you've said a few times that Jacob was born early," Heather said, "Why?  What happened?"
 
"His mother developed a condition that made her blood pressure go really high.   The doctor was afraid she'd have a seizure and die.   The only way to get the blood pressure down is to get the baby out."
 
"Will you tell me about her?" Heather asked.   She had always wondered about Jacob's mother, but hadn't been able to work up the courage to ask Jake about her.
 
"Heather, I know you want to know about her, and you have every right.  But, there's really not much to tell.     This is gonna sound bad but take it for it was....a cocky kid on the rebound who did a stupid thing.    I had broken up with Emily...again... and I blew out of town to Rogue River.    I went to a club there, The Storm Cellar.   It's kinda funny," Jake said, smiling, "it was underground.    Anyway, I met a girl there.    Rebecca.    We got together a few times.   She got pregnant.   I found out about Jacob about three hours before he was born.    She abandoned him when he was 18 months.   She actually threatened to sell him to the highest bidder first.    I took him and I was forced to grow up...fast.   Only one can be the baby and it wasn't me anymore."
 
Jake looked at her and smiled embarrassedly, "Heather, I'm not that guy anymore.   I promise.    That's something you'll never ever need to worry about.     If I learned anything being a single father, I learned responsibility.   I'm about as far away from that Jake as it's possible to be."
 
Heather scooted over and got in his lap, "Jake, I know you're not that way.   That was a long time ago."   She threw her arms around his neck, laughed and kissed his neck, "You know, you must be pretty potent.   I'm pretty sure we got pregnant one of the first times we were together."
 
Jake groaned and blushed at that statement, "Oh, man, now that's a scary thought!!"
 
She laughed again and kissed him passionately, "Think of it this way, for the next seven months, I can't get pregnant again."
 
Jake leered at her, "You know, you're right."   
 
Heather rubbed his back and her hand brushed the pistol he had tucked into the back of his jeans.    She shuddered, involuntarily.   Guns were not her thing.
 
"I'm sorry, Heather.   This is a nice place and it seems like an oasis but remember, we may not be alone.   I have to protect us."
 
"Be careful with that thing," Heather said and giggled.   "Remember Mad Eye Moody's orders, "Constant Vigilance".    He says you can lose a buttock that way.   You have the perfect butt.   I would hate for you lose half of it."
 
Jake hugged her and laughed, "I'll keep that in mind."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
On the third day of their honeymoon they woke up late to a dreary drizzle.     They ate lunch and then busied themselves with cards and puzzles. 
 
Heather was dozing over her puzzle book when she heard Jake muttering curses under his breath.    She looked over at the counter and saw that Jake was playing what must have been the 100th game of solitaire.     She saw him pick up the stack of cards on the end and pull the Ace out.   
 
"Jake Green!   That's called cheating!"
 
"Yeah, yeah," he said, smiling sheepishly at her.
 
She smiled and went back to her puzzle.    The next time she glanced up she saw him pulling a card out of the middle of the discard pile and put it on top of the second row of cards.
 
"Jake! I can't believe you're cheating.   What kind of example is that to set,"  Heather asked with her hands on her hips.
 
"Babies nap in the afternoon," Jake said, smiling, "he don't know what I'm doing."
 
Heather walked over and stood behind him, looking over his shoulder.
 
She pointed at a stack of cards, "That red seven can go there.  Oh, and the next card is a black five it can go over there."
 
Jake sighed, put the cards down and turned around on the stool, trapping her between his legs.   He crossed his arms and tried to look mad, failing miserably, "Alright, exactly who's game is this?  I don't like to lose, Mrs. Green."
 
Heather laughed a clear, happy sound that lit up the room, "No, Jake, that's called cheating and we don't do that."
 
Jake grinned and pulled her into a hug, "We don't huh? What do we do?" he asked bending down to kiss her neck.
 
She twisted away and giggled again, picking up the cards, "We finish this game without cheating."
 
Jake shook his head and laughed quietly to himself.   He walked over to the counter and grabbed a bottle of water.     
 
Ten minutes later, Heather looked up and laughed, "I won!"
 
"Uh huh," Jake said, smiling.    He picked the bottle of water up and took another drink.   He looked up at Heather, "Heather, we need to talk about how we're going to get ready for this winter and for the baby."
 
"Alright," Heather said, sitting down on the couch beside him.
 
"I know you won't like it but I'm going to have to go out on some scavenger missions.   We've got to have food.    We can't count on China or whoever doing another aid drop.    We've got to help ourselves this summer."
 
"I know.   I've been thinking the same thing," Heather said, taking his hand and squeezing it.    "The garden your mom and I planted shows every sign of doing well.    We'll have beans, peas, peppers, tomatoes and squash.   Stanley will give us corn.     Oh, Stanley is also going to give us a rooster and a couple of hens.      It looks like the strawberries are going to do nicely too.   So if we can find some way to can them, we won't have a wide variety but we'll have food."
 
He bent down and kissed her temple, "You'll find a way," he said, smiling.  "I'll look around the barn and in the attic of the ranch house and see if Grandma's jars are still there.    I remember her making all kinds of jams and jelly.   Maybe they're not broken."
 
"While you're out try to find a fabric store.    Your mother is trying to teach me to knit.   If you could find a bunch of yarn I could make the baby warm clothes.  Maybe you could even find some fleece or something."
 
Jake smiled, "That's my practical Heather.    I love that about you.    I'll look for a fabric store for you."
 
"Oh, if you're anywhere near a bookstore it would be great if you could pick up some school type books for Jacob.    I still have a few things but he is getting beyond the materials I have."
 
"You know," Jake laughed, "this isn't really going to be a trip to the mall but I promise, if I see anything I'll bring it home.   Make me a list."
 
Heather's stomach gave a loud growl.   
 
Jake laughed, "We need to feed that baby."    He got up and held out his hand, "Let's find something for dinner."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
A gentle morning breeze was blowing in through the open bedroom window. It held the promise of a beautiful day.
Heather was sitting up in bed with a pad of paper, chewing on the end of a pencil, when Jake woke up shivering. He pushed the covers back and quickly padded barefoot across the cold floorboards to the window.

"Please don't close it," Heather said, never looking up from her paper.

"Hon, it's freezing in here," Jake said, walking quickly back to the bed.

"Put some clothes on," she said, smiling sweetly. "It's just now gotten comfortable. I'm burning up."

Jake kissed her bare shoulder, wrapped himself up in a quilt and smiled indulgently at Heather. "Alright, for you, I'll freeze. What're you doing?" he asked, looking at her very studious face.

"I'm making a baby 'to do' list," she said, blushing. "I thought you would sleep a while longer."

"What kind of baby list?" Jake asked, sitting up.

"Um...." Heather said, biting the pencil eraser and writing something else, "stuff like  bottles, diapers and clothes. We're going to need those things. We're also going to need to decide whether to have the baby at home or at the clinic."

"I think you pick what's most comfortable for you," Jake said, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Comfortable?" Heather chuckled, "Jake there're no epidurals. Comfortable doesn't describe completely natural childbirth, but thank you. I'll think about it and decide."

"My mother used to work in Labor and Delivery. She'd be the one to talk to about that.  I'm sure people will let us borrow baby stuff.   It might take me a few times to perfect it, but I think I can remember how to change a diaper. I used to be able to  do all that baby stuff but I'm really rusty."

"Your mom helped deliver babies?!" Heather asked excitedly. "That's great!!! That makes me feel better."

She made another mark on her paper.

"Jake, what about names?"

"We have a while to figure those out," Jake chuckled, tucking her hair behind her ear again. "My only requirement is that it not be a soap opera name. No Jaggers, Ridges or Slades please. I want our child to have a real name."

"My father's full given name was Jonathan James. What do you think about that for a boy? I love the name Abigail for a girl. That's really the only girl's name that sounds right to me."

Jake smiled, loving the excitement he saw on Heather's face. "Those sound fine. We have time though. You might fall in love with something else by the time the baby gets here. Um, by the way, when exactly is that?"

Heather giggled, "I guess we haven't talked about that have we? Early to middle November is Dr. Dhuwalia's best guess."

Jake smiled, "A holiday baby! That's a nice gift."

Jake sat up suddenly and looked at the window. Heather, not noticing, started to speak.

Jake held up his hand, "Sshhh," he said, quietly.

He got up and looked around for his jeans. He found them balled up, inside out, beside the bedroom door and put them on. Heather finally heard the sound of the engine getting closer to the cabin. Her eyes got big and she started to reach for her robe and get out of bed.

"No!" Jake said, holding up his hand. "Stay here." He reached under the mattress, pulled out a loaded pistol and stuck it in the back of his jeans. He stood beside the window in the living room and peeked out thru a crack in the curtains.

"Jake," Heather whispered, walking up behind him tying the belt of her robe, "who is it?"

"Heather," Jake whispered, harshly, "go back to the bedroom. There's a shotgun under the bed. Protect yourself and the baby."

"JAKE!" came a voice from outside.

Jake and Heather looked at each other and breathed a sigh of relief. It was Stanley. Then it hit them...Stanley coming all the way out here probably meant something was wrong.

Jake jerked the door open just as Stanley was raising his hand to knock.

Stanley grinned, "Well, well, if it isn't Mr. and Mrs. Green," he said, looking at his watch, "do you know it's almost 11 o'clock. You two aren't even dressed. Have you been about the devil's business again?"

Jake laughed, "You're crazy. You know that, right? What're you doing out here? Is something wrong?"

"Nope, nothing's wrong. Your boy's got Poison Ivy but that's nothing too bad. Your mom was concerned that you two were living on Ramen Noodles and wanted me to come out here and bring you some food."

"How in the world did Jacob get Poison Ivy?" Jake said, sitting down on the porch steps to put his shoes on.

"Seems as if Jacob and Mimi got a hankering for blackberries after seeing that big thicket out by the old house. They decided to go alone, even though I told them wait for me. They just couldn't wait. It turns out that neither of them knows what Poison  Ivy looks like."

"Oh no," Heather said. "Is it bad?"

"They're not too bad off. They're both painted with Calamine," Stanley said, looking at Jake and laughing.   "It's nothing like that time..."

"I don't wanna talk about it," Jake said with a shudder and started laughing.   "I ain't never itched so much in my life."

"I did have to resort to drastic measures for a while but they're behaving, for now,"  Stanley said.

"Jake," Heather said, smacking his chest, "stop laughing. It's not funny. What kind of drastic measures, Stanley?"

"They wouldn't stop scratching so I put oven mitts on Mimi and taped them so she couldn't get them loose. Since Jacob's is on his arms I couldn't do oven mitts so I had to use mittens. That was a couple of days ago. They're behaving now. So," Stanley said, grinning, "are you two having fun?"

"We're having a blast," Jake said, smiling and pulling Heather into a hug.

"Eww....please, not in front of the delivery man. Do you want to help me with this stuff so I can get back to my patients before they started scratching again? I don't really trust them."

Jake walked out to Stanley's truck with him and helped him bring food into the cabin.

"What has Jacob been doing this week?" Heather asked. "I really miss him."

"You mean besides scratching?" Stanley laughed. "We've been dirt bike riding. He really liked that. I'm teaching him the secrets of how to be the perfect quarterback. Your dad came out and we taught him how to shoot a gun. Now, Jake, don't look at me that way. It was your dad's idea. He wants Jacob to be ready for this fall. He's bound and determined to take Jacob hunting. We haven't really done anything productive but we've had a good time. The horses have gotten a workout. Jacob can ride like he was born on a horse. Alright, I'm gonna go. Now you two behave."

**********     **********     **********

Heather woke up just as dusk was falling.      She lay in bed without opening her eyes, waiting for the wave of nausea to pass.    She would be very glad when this part of the pregnancy was past.    She reached blindly to the bedside table and found a tube of crackers.   Without opening her eyes she ate 2.   Finally, she started feeling better.     She felt the left side of the bed, reaching for Jake but he wasn't there.    She opened her eyes and looked around the room.    'I wonder where he is?' she thought.
 
She got up and pulled on Jake's denim work shirt and her favorite pair of pajama bottoms and walked out of the bedroom.    Jake wasn't in the living room either.      Heather slid her feet into her sneakers and walked on the back porch and saw him.     He had built a large fire and rolled out 2 sleeping bags.    He was smiling at her and patting the spot beside him.    She smiled and walked towards him.    Jake pulled her into his arms and kissed her passionately.
 
"Did you get a good nap?"
 
"Very good, thanks.   Why'd you get up?   I missed you," she said, smiling at him.
 
"I thought I would try to make our last night out here special.   The clouds finally cleared.   It looks like it's going to be a gorgeous night," Jake said, rubbing her back and stealing another kiss.   "After tonight it's back to the real world."    Jake grinned at her, grabbed a stick and started poking in the coals of the fire, "I remembered a couple of things from my Boy Scout days.   Don't look so surprised.   Yes, I was Scout when I was a little boy."    He uncovered two aluminum foil pouches.
 
"What's that?" Heather asked.
 
"It's dinner," Jake said proudly.    He reached for one, jerked his hand back and stuck his fingers in his mouth, "and it's still hot.   That was stupid."
 
Heather looked at his fingers.   They were red but not blistered.   "Yes, it was.  I think you'll live.   What's for dinner?"
 
"I dug through the box that Stanley brought yesterday.   At the bottom there were some potatoes and some corn.   For your dining pleasure tonight we have the last can of Spam, thank God, and grilled potatoes and corn."
 
"Jake, that sounds really good.   Maybe it's being pregnant but I am really liking the Spam."
 
"It has to be the pregnancy because that stuff is awful," Jake said, laughing.   He put his hand over her eyes, "Okay, I have a surprise.   Close you eyes."
 
"What surprise?   What did you find?"
 
"You'll never know if you don't close your eyes."
 
Heather closed them, smiling.
 
"Okay, open them."
 
Jake was holding a bottle of champagne.   She smiled at him, looking very confused.    "Jake, you know I can't drink that, right?   I hate to ruin your surprise but pregnant women can't drink alcohol."
 
"I know. I found this in the cabin next door, along with a few other useful things.   We're going to save this until after you have the baby.    We'll toast him or her in style.   This is a very expensive bottle of champagne, by the way.     This was worth at least a couple hundred before the bombs, now it's priceless.    Look what else I found.  This you can drink," he said, pulling the edge of the sleeping bag back to reveal a six pack of Coke Classic.   "I've had these in the lake getting cold.   Enjoy," he said, handing her one.    Heather opened it and savored the first drink of Coke she'd had in months.   
 
After dinner, Jake cleared away the trash and laid back on the sleeping bag, pulling Heather down beside him.    "So, Mrs. Green, have you enjoyed your honeymoon?" Jake asked, slowly tracing the curve of her jaw with his finger and sucking her earlobe into his mouth.
 
"It's been wonderful," Heather said, giggling and turning so she could kiss Jake.    Her fingers played along his chest traveling up to comb through his hair.   Jake leaned his head back into her hand and sighed with contentment.     Heather pulled his head back to her and kissed him, opening her mouth to him.    She felt the buttons of her shirt coming undone.   The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end when his fingers trailed across her bare stomach.    His fingers traveled around to her back and he pulled her against him.    Heather felt light and dizzy.   This night was magical.    She barely breathed.    Heather tugged Jake's shirt out of his waistband and smiled up at him, "One of us is a bit overdressed."
 
Jake chuckled and smiled at her.   He pushed himself up, took his shirt off and pulled the other sleeping bag over them,  "We don't want to get attacked by mosquitos."
 
Sometime, a lot later, Jake heard the insistent cry of a baby.    He pulled the sleeping bag over his head but it didn't completely block it out.    He reached over and gently shook Heather.     
 
"Heather?   Babe?" Jake said, trying not to completely wake up, "Wake up.    I'm really tired.   Can you get the baby?    He's crying.   I don't think he's going to go back to sleep."
 
"Sure," Heather said, yawning, barely awake, she sat up, pushed the sleeping bag back and reached for the denim shirt that had been discarded earlier in the evening.   It hit her what Jake said and she gasped, waking up fully.   She shook Jake, trying to wake him up, "Baby?   What baby?   Jake, wake up!"
 
Jake jerked awake and sat up, "What's wrong?   Are you alright??"
 
"You told me to get the baby.   What baby?"
 
"What are you talking about?" Jake asked, confused.  "Are you dreaming?   What baby?"
 
Suddenly, they both heard it, the sound of a baby crying in either fear or pain.    It was the loneliest, saddest cry Heather had ever heard and it broke her heart.

To be continued.....

**********     **********     **********

Thank you for reading this chapter in the Going Home series.    Feedback is always appreciated.

Chapter 21: The Baby by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.    I am borrowing them for a while and I promise to give them back.

Special thanks to Marzee, Nightsky and JT.    They are great to work with.   JT, that holster is all for you!!!  

AUTHOR'S NOTE:   THERE MIGHT BE A FEW PARTS THAT ARE A PG-13 OR BETTER RATING.   FOR THE YOUNGER MEMBERS OF OUR BOARD (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) YOU HAVE BEEN DUELY WARNED.

**********     **********     **********

Dawn was breaking when Jake heard the insistent cry of a baby. He pulled the sleeping bag over his head but it didn't completely block it out. He reached over and gently shook Heather.
"Heather? Babe?" Jake said, trying not to completely wake up, "Wake up. I'm really tired. Can you get the baby? He's crying. I don't think he's going to go back to sleep."

"Sure," Heather said, yawning, barely awake, she sat up, pushed the sleeping bag back and reached for the denim shirt that had been discarded earlier in the evening. It hit her what Jake had said and she gasped, waking up fully. She shook Jake, trying to wake him up, "Baby? What baby? Jake, wake up!"

Jake jerked awake and sat up, "What's wrong? Are you alright??"

"You told me to get the baby. What baby?"

"What are you talking about?" Jake asked, confused. "Are you dreaming? What baby?"

Suddenly, they both heard it, the sound of crying in either fear or pain. It was the loneliest, saddest cry Heather had ever heard and it broke her heart.

Heather looked around, "Oh, God Jake!!!  The baby!!" she screamed pointing at the dock.

Jake looked where she was pointing and saw a small child standing at the end of the dock, inches from falling into the lake.    

"Oh, shit," he muttered.   He shoved the sleeping bag off and took off running,   Jake swept a very dirty toddler into his arms before it could fall into the lake. The child started screaming hysterically.

Jake ran back to the cabin with Heather on his heels. She lit the lantern and brought it to the counter where Jake was looking at the child. Heather saw a very dirty, red haired toddler dressed in pink footed pajamas sobbing uncontrollably.

"Try and calm her down?" Jake asked, pulling on jeans and shoes. "I'm gonna go look around outside." He grabbed two pistols from the bedroom closet, made sure they were loaded, laid one on the counter beside Heather and put the other in his waistband. "Lock this door behind me," he said, walking out the back door.

Heather picked the little girl up, walked around the room bouncing and patting her back and humming softly.   When the child finally stopped crying, Heather sat her down on the counter and attempted to clean her up.   The little girl was so muddy, Heather sat her in the sink and gave her a quick bath.   After the bath, she wrapped her in a quilt and sat down in the rocking chair to wait for Jake.

"Do you want a drink?" Heather asked, not expecting an answer.

"Nink."

Heather reached over to the counter, grabbed a bottle of water and slowly gave the little girl some water.
Jake knocked on the cabin door thirty minutes later, "Heather, it's me. Open the door." Heather opened the door holding a much cleaner child wrapped in a quilt.

"Is she alright?" Jake asked, touching her red curls.

"She seems to be. A few scratches and a little sunburned but that's all. She was filthy. I tried to clean her up but I don't have any idea what to use for a diaper or clothes. I just wrapped her up to keep her warm."

Jake closed the door and locked it. He walked into the bathroom and brought back a towel. He starting going thru the drawers in the kitchen. "Bring her here." He quickly had a towel diaper taped with silver duct tape on the baby.

"JAKE!  She's a baby, not a garden hose!  Duct tape?"

"Well, she leaks doesn't she?" Jake said, winking.    He smiled sheepishly at Heather and added,  "We occasionally ran out of diapers when Jacob was a baby. I learned to improvise.   Grab one of my t-shirts and she's all set."

Heather came out of the bedroom to see Jake sitting in the rocking chair. "What's your name? Where did you come from?" he asked quietly, rocking her and rubbing her back.

"How old do you think she is?" Heather asked, handing Jake the shirt. He stopped rocking and put the shirt on the baby and then put her back on his shoulder and started rocking her again.

"Probably between one and two. Heather, we need to get packed up and get back to town, now."

"Why? Her parents might come looking for her."

"No, they won't," Jake said.    He looked at Heather, took her hand and took a deep breath,  "Babe, her parents, at least I'm assuming that's who it is, are dead in a cabin about a mile down the lake. It's a fresh kill. Probably sometime last night. We need to go," Jake said, standing up and hugging Heather tightly with one arm and kissing the little girl's still wet curls,  "Now."

Jake handed the baby to Heather, ran into the bedroom and started shoving clothes into a duffel bag. He threw the bag into the living room and threw the little bit of food left into a box. Jake picked up the pistol and took the bag and box to the car. Within 15 minutes he, Heather and the baby were packed and ready to go.    The little girl clung to Heather.

**************

"What are we gonna do, Heather?   We've got to decide," Jake said, driving away from the lake.

When Heather started rocking the baby as much as the car seat would allow.   The little girl smiled sleepily, cuddled into her and instantly fell asleep. Heather continued to rock and hum lullabies even after the little girl was sound asleep. Her mind wandered back to the lake. Those poor people. That poor mother, dying and not knowing what happened to her little girl. No one was going to claim this child. She was an orphan. She had no family. Heather teared up for the first time in a long time thinking about the fact that she was an orphan too. Heather realized at that moment that she had fallen in love with this little girl. She kissed the little girl's forehead and hugged her.

"We're going to keep her.   We're both orphans.   We need each other.   I found a family and she needs one," Heather said, looking at Jake fiercely.

"Are you sure?   I mean absolutely sure.    You're going from no kids to two and pregnant.   How do you feel about that?"

"Absolutely, positively sure.   Jake, I've always wanted a big family.   You know that."

"Heather," Jake said, reaching over and laying his hand on her thigh, "we've got to come up with a story for her.   With the paranoia in Jericho, we can't talk about how we found her.   Gray'll have her at the Rogue River FEMA camp in hours."

"What kind of story?" Heather asked hesitantly.

Jake was quiet for a minute, driving carefully thru a series of S-curves.

"We could say she's my daughter," he said, pulling in to an abandoned and looted Chevron station.   "All most people in town know is that I was gone for 5 years.   I came back with one kid, after all.   I could've had ten kids and no one would know....or be too surprised."

Heather looked at him, raised her eyebrows and chuckled.

Jake smirked, "I don't.   I happen to have been essentially monogamous for the past several years and now I  have absolutely no interest in any other woman besides you."

"I didn't say a word," Heather said, laughing.   "And I know you're committed to me."    She squeezed his hand.   "Jake, there'll be ugly gossip about you."

"I'm not worried about me.   Will you be alright with it?"

"Jake, I'm an adult.   I think I can weather the gossip."

"Okay then, how's this, we drove south to Mexico and picked her up?"

"That is absolutely ridiculous," Heather said, shaking her head.   She sat quietly, stroking the baby's hair for a minute.   Suddenly she smiled, "I've got it.   Almost 2 years ago, I was visiting my Aunt Caroline for Thanksgiving break.   I got appendicitis and had to have emergency surgery.   I was out of school for a month.   I wasn't able to go back until the start of the new semester.   We could say that was a lie and I actually had a baby.   I'm a respectable married woman now so we went to my Aunt's house before we went to the lake and picked up my daughter."

"Now that's a story," Jake said smiling and laughing.   "Do you actually have an Aunt Caroline?"

"I didn't get an A+ in Creative Writing for nothing.   Yes, I did have an Aunt Caroline.   She passed away last summer."

"You want to talk about gossip, there will be clucking in the old biddy circle about that.    The sweet, innocent, single school teacher had an illegitimate baby."

"That's what makes it perfect, Jake," Heather said, grinning.   "I had to sign a morality clause for my teaching job.   I could have lost my job if anyone knew about her."

"When did you have this surgery?"  Jake asked.

"End of November, almost 18 months ago," Heather said, smiling.   "And something else, right after my surgery I lost almost 20 pounds.   I was so sick.   It was days before I was able to eat."

"Alright then, who's her father?"

"Now that's hard.   Everybody in town knows I haven't dated much," Heather said, sucking her bottom lip in.    Suddenly she smiled, "Tommy."

"Tommy? Who's this Tommy person?? Huh?" Jake said, smiling.

"Jake, I hate to disillusion you but there was life before Jake Green," Heather said, laughing, kissing her fingers and pressing them to Jake's lips.   "Tommy Christopher.   I grew up with him.   I know everything about him.   And no one in Jericho knows him.  We went to the prom together....as friends.   We had a pact....if neither of us had gotten married by the time we were 30, we were going to get married so we wouldn't be old maids.   If he got married , the next on my list was Russell," Heather said, laughing sadly.     "Tommy moved to Denver several years ago.  He was a Headmaster of an all boys school there.  His birthday is the same as mine.   He didn't have any family.   It's perfect."  

"It just might work," Jake said, reaching up and stroking her cheek.

"Are you going to tell your parents the truth?"

"I don't know.   Heather?  Do you realize the pressure this is going to put on you?   Do you understand how bad people are going to talk about you?   It could get really ugly for you."

"We'll be fine," Heather said, kissing the little girl, shifting her to the other shoulder, laced her fingers with Jake's and squeezed his hand.   She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, "If this is what we have to do to keep her safe, we'll be fine."

"What do you want to name her?  And we need to figure out when her birthday is."

Heather looked at her, kissed her head and smiled, "Her name is Molly Erin, after my grandmother who had hair every bit as red as this.    My surgery was right after Thanksgiving so maybe the first part of December sometime?"

"Molly Erin Lisinski was born December 2, 2005 at 9am.   Her father is Thomas Christopher of Denver, Colorado.  She was 5 pounds even and 18 inches long.  She's tiny as it is, and a small baby would explain why no one noticed the third grade teacher was pregnant.  Does that sound about right?" Jake asked, chewing on the corner of his thumbnail.    When Heather didn't answer he looked over and saw her eyes were closed and she was rocking her new daughter.   "Heather?  Does that sound alright?"

"Sounds perfect," Heather said, hugging her daughter tightly.

****************************
Jake pulled the Roadrunner to a stop in front of clinic. "Take her in and let Kenchy take a look at her. I'll go tell Mom and Dad we're back. I'll send them here. I'm going to get Hawkins and we're going to go back to that cabin and look around."

"Jake," Heather said worriedly, "it's too dangerous!!"

He squeezed her hand and kissed her temple, "I'm taking Robert Hawkins with me. We'll be fine. Take Molly in. Make sure she's alright."

Heather walked into the clinic. Margaret Taylor looked up from the desk and smiled. "Hi, Heather! I didn't know you and Jake were back from your honeymoon. Where did you get that gorgeous baby? Is everything alright?"  Margaret asked.    The child turned her face into Heather's neck, trying to hide.

"Hi, Margaret," Heather said, shifting the little girl to a more comfortable position, "It's a long story but the short version is that this is my daughter, Molly.   She's been living with my Aunt since she was born.   Jake and I went and got her after the wedding.    This morning she was running a really high fever and she had a seizure.    I need to make sure she's alright.    Is Dr. Dhuwalia or Dr. Walters here?"

"Oh my Goodness!  Your daughter? Heather! I didn't know you had any children.   How?  When?" Margaret exclaimed.     Molly chose that moment to help her mother out.   She coughed and then started crying.     Margaret cupped the back of the little girl's head, "You poor baby.   Let's get you seen.  We've been really busy this morning but I'll sneak you ahead of a few people. Why don't you wait in the playroom?"

********** ********** **********

Jake parked in front of the house and sat there thinking about what he was going to do next.   Should he tell them or not.    His father wasn't the same as he was five years ago.   He was actually likable now.   Jake knew that he could count on him for absolutely anything.    He grinned to himself.   Now that wasn't something that he would have thought before he left.   Jake decided he would tell his parents the truth about their new granddaughter.    They would need all the help they could get with this story.   He took a deep breath, ran his fingers thru his hair and climbed out of the car.

Jake walked in the house and dropped his duffle bag outside his and Heather's bedroom door. Gail and Johnston walked out of the kitchen.

"Jake!" Gail said, hugging him and smiling. "We didn't expect you back til late this evening. Where's Heather?"

"We had an interesting morning, Mom," Jake said.

"I bet you did," Johnston said, grinning.

"No, seriously, we woke up this morning and found a baby. She's probably around two years old. Heather's at the clinic with her."

"Found a baby? Where're her parents?" Johnston asked.

"She had just wandered up and was standing at the end of the dock crying. I found a couple of dead people in a cabin about a mile down the lake. It looks like that's where she came from. They hadn't been dead long...a day at most."

"What're you going to do, Jake?" Johnston asked.

Jake took a deep breath, closed his eyes and said quickly,"We're going to keep her and try to pass her off as Heather's daughter."  

"You're going to do what?!!" Gail asked loudly.

 "Mom, you know how paranoid Gray is.   He'll have her to the FEMA camp in the blink of an eye.   We're going to say she had a baby a year and a half ago when everyone thought she had an emergency appendectomy.   She's been living with Heather's Aunt.   We went and picked her up on our way to the lake.   Heather had to sign a morality clause before getting hired by the good ole' Jericho Town Commission.   If she had a baby like that she would've been fired.   No tenure... she'd have been out.   She's going to tell Kenchy that the baby got really sick this morning and we want her examined to make sure she's alright."

"Jake, that's ridiculous.   No one will believe that," Gail said.

"I don't know.   If we sell it right they might.    I fought that clause for years.   It was down right unconstitutional," Johnston said, narrowing his eyes and considering the story.   "I guess it's a good thing I failed," he said, smiling, putting his arm around Gail's shoulder and hugging her lightly.

"It'll never work," Gail argued.  "In all these months, Heather's never gone to check on her daughter?   There's no school anymore.   Why hasn't she brought her here?   It's been pretty obvious to everyone that you two have been together for months.   She would have just left her daughter?   Not even check to make sure she had food?  No, it'll never work.   That's not Heather."

"I know the story needs help, Mom," Jake said, frustrated.   "That's why I'm telling you.    We need your help."

"That's why your telling us," Gail said, angrily.   "Not because it's the right thing to do but because you need us to help you lie."

"Look, Mom, I don't know what else to do.   I don't know who killed those people.   Hell, what if they know we were there?    They could come looking for that little girl."

"Oh, Jake, what if it had been you and Heather?" Gail said, tears in her eyes.

"It wasn't. We're fine," Jake said, hugging Gail.  

"One thing," Jake said, hesitantly, "don't tell anyone.  Not even Eric."  

"Jake," Gail said, shaking her head, "that's not right.   Eric is your brother."

"The fewer people who know, the less there is a chance of screwing up and letting something slip," Jake said, trying to explain.

"If we can convince Eric, we can convince anyone," Johnston said.  "Gail, we have to do this.   Think about Jacob.   We have to protect the family."

"Mom, wait til you see Molly.   She's tiny.   She looks like a little doll.   Her hair is curly and Irish red.   You'll love her.  We just want to protect her.   Putting a child in a FEMA camp without parents would be a death sentence.   We can't let that happen."

"Molly, huh?" Johnston said, smiling.   "Well it goes with the hair.   That's what your mother always wanted to name a little girl if we ever had one.   Looks like we got our red haired girl, Gail," Johnston said, putting his arm around Gail's shoulder.

"I want to go back out there, Dad. See if I can find out anything. Mom, Dad? Will you go down to the clinic with Heather? Make sure they're okay?  I'll stop and get Hawkins. We'll be back in a little while."

"I'm goin' with you. We'll drop your mother off at the clinic," Johnston said, putting his hat on.

"No, Dad, please. I don't know anything about who these people were or why they would be murdered. It's probably just a random hit but I want to make sure. Please go to the clinic and make sure Heather's safe."

Johnston started to say something but then stopped and nodded his head in understanding.

********** ********** **********

Heather carried Molly into the playroom and sat down in the floor with her beside the toy box.

"Ok, Sweetie, lets see what we got here," Heather said digging in the toy box. She pulled out a small, pink cloth doll.

"Ba-ee!"

"That's right, Sweetie. It's a baby. Do you like babies?" she asked holding the doll out to the little girl.

"Pish," the toddler said, pointing at the fish tank.

"Yes, that's a fish," Heather said, smiling and kissing her hand.

Heather didn't think she had ever seen a child this young with eyes as clear emerald green as this little girl's were. With her pale complexion, red hair and green eyes, she was beautiful.

Molly yawned and started rubbing her eyes. She saw a rocking chair, looked at Heather and pointed at the chair, "Wock?"

Heather picked her up and hugged her, "Of course, Baby. Let's rock."    Heather sat down in the rocking chair and dozed off holding her daughter.

Margaret came to the doorway. "Heather? You can come on down to the exam room."

Heather jumped, "What?!" she said startled.

"I'm sorry, Sweetie.   I didn't mean to wake you.    You can come down to the exam room."

Heather stood up and walked down to the exam room with Margaret. "I'm leaving for the day but a nurse will be here in a minute.   Let Jimmy and I know if you need anything," Margaret said, quietly shutting the door.

Seconds later, Nurse Rebecca Lawson walked in. She stopped short and gasped when she saw who it was but quickly regained her composure.

"Hello.   Miss Lisinski, right? What's the problem today?"

"No, my last name's Green.   Jake and I got married....." she started to say.   Gail, followed closely by Johnston, rushed into the room before she could finish.

"Heather are you alright?" Gail asked, hugging Heather and narrowing her eyes at Nurse Lawson.

"I'm fine, Mom. I was just getting ready to talk to the nurse."

"What's the child's name?" Nurse Lawson asked, very businesslike.

Heather looked down at the sleeping child. "Her name is Molly. Molly Erin Lisinski," she said, looking at Gail and Johnston hesitantly.   Had Jake told them the truth or not, she didn't know.  

Gail smiled warmly at Heather and reached over patted Molly's very curly red hair. "Honey, remember, that's Green now," Gail said.   She looked over at Nurse Lawson, "She still feels warm.   Has the doctor seen her yet?"

"I'm going to need you to fill out some paperwork before Dr. Dhuwalia comes in," Becca said, holding a clipboard out.

Heather looked helplessly down at Molly and then back at the nurse, "How? I don't have a free hand?"

Johnston stepped forward.  "Don't worry bout that. I'll take care of this little Miss for you. Come to Grandpa, Baby," Johnston said, plucking the still sleeping Molly out of Heather's arms and settling her on his chest.

"Molly Green, that just has a nice ring to it," Gail said, kissing Heather on the temple.

Heather let out a deep breath and smiled at her mother in law, "I wasn't sure....."

"Oh, Sweetheart, we love her already.   She's your daughter, and we're thrilled to have another grandchild.   You know, Johnston has always wanted a little girl."

Johnston looked up, totally in love with his new granddaughter, "Jacob and Molly.   Our boy and our girl.   A matched set.   Couldn't be more perfect."

Becca cleared her throat and stepped forward, handing Heather a clipboard and ink pen, "Please fill these out.   Dr. Dhuwalia will be in shortly."     Becca turned around and walked out of the room.   When she was well down the hall she leaned against the wall and took a deep breath.   Being in Jericho was much harder than she ever thought it would be.   She didn't know if she could deal with seeing Jake as the happily married family man.  

********** ********** **********

Jake walked up to the desk of the police station.

"Hi, Jake. How does it feel to be a married man? When did you get back?" Hawkins asked, smiling.

"I definitely like being married. We just got back a few minutes ago as a matter of fact.  I need to talk you."

"How was the lake?   Is something wrong?" Hawkins asked.

"The lake was fun until this morning."

"What happened? Is Heather alright?" Hawkins asked.

"She's fine. About daybreak we heard a baby crying. Heather saw a little girl standing at the end of the dock. I grabbed her before she could fall in. I got them locked in the cabin and looked around. About a mile from us was another cabin. The door was busted down. The inside's a wreck. Stuff's thrown everywhere. There's blood all over the place. I went back in one of the bedrooms and found two bodies. They had been shot and their throats had been cut. It looked relatively fresh.... probably less than a day. It looked like the woman had been raped. There's baby stuff in the other bedroom. I'm assuming that little girl we found came from there. I didn't find a dead baby.    I couldn't find any reason for the murder.   I don't know them or anything about them.   It was probably just a robbery gone bad.  Whoever did this could be looking for the baby.    They could be lookin' for us.    I don't know," Jake said, looking uncomfortable.  "Um, look, uh, we're going to keep her and say that she's Heather's daughter.   You know how things are around here," he said, looking back at the door to Gray's office.

Hawkins looked at Jake and considered the story and nodded, "I think that's probably a wise choice given certain attitudes around town.    The fewer people who know the truth the better."

Jake looked at Hawkins and nodded. "I need some backup at the cabin. I wanna go back and look around. Make sure I didn't miss anything."

"How old's the child?" Hawkins asked.

"She's tiny, but I'm guessing she's between one and two years old."

Hawkins' eyes were filled with stone cold anger. He was livid, "Let's go to the lake," he said, quietly and very matter of factly tucking a pistol in jacket pocket.

********** ********** *********

The ride back out to Bass Lake was silent and quick. The Plymouth Roadrunner didn't get it's muscle car reputation for nothing.

Jake stopped the car in front of the cabin beside an old Suburban.   He got out tucking the pistol into the waistband of his jeans and looked around.

"You want to be careful doing that Jake.    You'll shoot yourself in the leg," Hawkins said, smiling and digging around in his black bag.

"Or a buttock. That's what Heather worries about, apparently," Jake said, pushing a fresh clip into his pocket.

Hawkins grinned. "You know, Jake, that's just way to much information," Hawkins said, laughing.    He handed a waistband holster to Jake, "Try this."

That served to break the tension for the moment.  Hawkins grabbed his black bag off the hood and followed Jake into the cabin. He whistled a low whistle when he walked in. Jake hadn't been kidding when he said there was blood everywhere. 'What in the Hell happened to these people,' Hawkins thought.

"Yeah," Jake said, looking at Hawkins and nodding his head.

Hawkins glanced into the bedroom, looked at Jake and quietly shut the door, "We'll take care of that later."

Jake dropped his head took a deep breath and slowly let it out in relief, "Okay."

"I don't understand how the baby got away," Hawkins said. "People who would do that would have no qualms about murdering a baby.   Jake, take a look in the backyard.   Maybe there's some hint out there."

Jake searched the backyard and called to Hawkins, "I found some broken glass and blood out here."

Hawkins followed Jake's voice to the back of the cabin.

"Well, we know how the baby got to your cabin.   How did she get out of the window."

The window to the baby's room was broken and there were drops of blood on the ground beside two tiny footprints in the mud underneath the window. Jake followed the trail of footprints to the edge of the woods.

He walked back and saw Hawkins in the window of the baby's bedroom, "Come in here Jake."

Jake walked in the cabin and saw Hawkins examining the floor in the baby's room.

"Jake, someone, and I'm assuming from the size of this footprint it was the man, sacrificed themselves to save that baby. It looks like he got in here, locked the door, broke the glass and put the baby out the window. I don't think there's anything else to see here. We'll never know why it was done. The people who did this are long gone."

Jake looked at the broken window and then at the bloody footprint.   His hand brushed the side of a playpen that looked like it was being used as a bed.     He saw three pink pacifiers, a small cloth doll and a well loved blankie.   Jake remembered frantic searches for pacifiers and blankies.    He knew that if he had faced the same situation as this father, then he would have done the same thing. You'd do anything for your kids.   He wasn't going to let this father's sacrifice be in vain.

Jake looked at Hawkins, resolve written all over his face, "Help me get this stuff packed up.   We'll need it for her.   I need some help, Hawkins."

"What're you sayin' Jake?" Hawkins asked.

"I'm saying, these people were murdered.  I don't know if whoever did it knows me and Heather know about what they did.    I've got to figure out how to manufacture a birth certificate and an identity for Heather's new daughter.    I have to protect my family."

Hawkins narrowed his eyes and looked at Jake and then nodded his head, "I can help with that.   Let's get this stuff packed to go.   You don't want to keep your family waiting."

**********     **********     **********

Jake looked around and found a box of large black trash bags and several sippy cups in the kitchen.   He started shoving clothes, sippy cups and toys into the bags helter skelter.   He wanted to get the hell of Dodge.    

"Hey, Jake," Hawkins said, smiling from the open closet door, "jackpot.   It looks like her parents hit a baby store or something on their way here.  Diapers."

Jake smiled and shook his head, "Good.   The world is a different place when we can get excited over finding a pack of disposable diapers."

Jake saw a diaper bag sitting beside the closet door.   He grabbed it and packed it full of diapers, several changes of clothes, a sippy cup and the doll, pacifiers and blankie from the playpen.

Hawkins picked up a bag and looked at Jake, "How're we gonna get all this stuff back to town, Jake?"

"I thought about taking the Suburban.   If it'll run," Jake said, grimly.  

"Alright.   Sounds like a good idea.  But where did you get it?   Where'd it come from?   Get it straight before you get back to town," Hawkins said.

"Wedding present from Heather's Aunt Caroline.   It used to be her husband's vehicle and she had no need for it," Jake said, walking towards the front porch.

"Good.   Vehicle that big would be hard for an old woman to drive," Hawkins said.  

Jake walked outside and looked at the Suburban.   It was old but looked like it was in good condition.    Jake felt a moment of happiness when he saw it was 4-wheel drive.   That would be nice in the winter.    He saw the gas cap laying on the ground beside a length of hose.   It looked like all the gas had been siphoned out.   'Great,' Jake thought.    He started searching inside the cab for keys but no luck.

"What're you doin', Jake?" Hawkins asked.

"Checkin' to see if there're keys."

Jake laid down in the floorboard under the driver's side of the Suburban and reached up for the wires.   He hadn't hot wired in years but he didn't think he had forgotten how.

"Jake, wait," Hawkins said, walking quickly to the truck, holding a set of keys.   "I found these."

"Where'd you find 'em.   I looked around a few minutes ago and didn't see them."

"I found them.   Let's leave it at that," Hawkins said, looking pointedly at Jake.

Jake nodded slowly with understanding.

"Let's start getting the baby stuff loaded up," Hawkins said.

When everything was loaded, Jake siphoned enough gas from the Roadrunner for the Suburban so that they would be able to get both vehicles back to Jericho......at least he hoped so.   He crossed his fingers and tried the ignition.   It caught on the first start.     Jake sighed with relief and turned the truck off.

"Okay, Jake.    How're we gonna do this?"

"There's a shed around back.   When I was back there earlier I saw there was a shovel in there.   I'm gonna get to work out back," Jake said.

"I'll look around inside and take care what needs to be done in there."

**********     **********     **********

Jake tapped the last of the dirt down on the double grave.    He leaned on the shovel and took a deep breath.   'What a way to end a honeymoon,' he thought.

He walked around the front of the cabin and saw that Hawkins had loaded more stuff into the Suburban.  

"I found a few more things," Hawkins said, holding out a wallet, "There are a few pictures in here.   No identification just a few baby pictures.  I found some food that they missed and loaded that up too."  

Jake opened the wallet and looked at the pictures.   There was a hospital picture with the little girl wearing a Santa hat and red dress.  There were a few more baby pictures but that was it...no ID whatsoever.    At least now they would have some pictures to flash around in case anyone asked, Jake thought.

"Are you ready to head back?"

"Yeah, let me do one more sweep thru.   I want to make sure there's nothing else."

Jake walked in the cabin.   He came out several minutes later with a car seat.   "I think that's it," he said.

Hawkins looked at the car seat and then at Jake and starting laughing.   "I saw that but didn't think you would need it."

Jake smiled, "You've obviously never received a ticket for not having a minor child in a restraint?"

Hawkins continued to laugh while Jake packed the car seat in the trunk.

Suddenly they heard shots fired.   Jake and Hawkins knelt behind the cover of the car and pulled pistols.  

"They sound far away," Hawkins said.   He reached into the Roadrunner for his bag and pulled out a pair of binoculars.   He motioned for Jake to follow him around the corner of the cabin.    Hawkins put the binoculars to his eyes and scanned the area.   He handed them to Jake and pointed.    Jake raised them to his eyes and instantly felt sick.    He was looking at the backyard he and Heather had left hours before.   There were four armed men going in and out of the Green family cabin.

"Let's go," Jake mouthed.  "We'll take care of that."

"No.   We have wives and kids back in town.   Let's get home safe.   There's no way to know if those people did this.   We're not going in guns blazing and risk getting ourselves killed.   We're going home.  Now."

Jake took and deep breath and nodded.

**********     **********     **********

Jake pulled out of driveway with Hawkins following in the Suburban.    They were going to go to Hawkins' house before heading home and take care of the identity issue.   When they passed Town Hall, Jake saw Eric's truck.   He pulled in beside it and motioned for Hawkins' to wait for him in the Roadrunner.    He grabbed the diaper bag and walked towards the building.

Jake walked into the police station and saw Eric and Jimmy behind the desk.

"Hi, Jake.   I didn't know you were back," Jimmy said, smiling.

Eric looked up and spotted the pink bag, "You make a life changing discovery on your honeymoon, Jake?   I never saw you as a pink kinda guy.   Maybe lavender," Eric said, laughing.

Jake smirked, "Funny.   I'm actually more into melon, thank you.     And, yes, there was a life changing event.   Congratulations, Eric.   You're an uncle again."

"Again? What are you talking about?"

"Heather has a little girl.   Her name's Molly.   We went and picked her up before we started our honeymoon.   She got sick this morning so I brought them to the clinic.  I don't really have time to explain but I need you to do something for me.     I just got back from packing everything up but I need to do one other thing before I can go home.    Heather forgot this when she got out of the car," Jake said, handing Eric the diaper bag.   "Will you take this to the clinic for me?   Heather needs it.   There's a Suburban parked out there beside your truck full of baby stuff.   Would you drive that over to the house?"

"Heather has a daughter?!" Eric and Jimmy said at the same time.  

"What are you talking about Jake?" Eric asked, confused.   "I've known Heather a lot longer than you and I've never seen her with a child.   How old is she?"

"She's a year and half old."

"Wow, Jake.   I had no idea.   Heather's always been so tiny.   How did she hide a pregnancy.   That's amazing," Jimmy said.

"I really don't have time to explain right now," Jake said.   He pointed at the diaper bag, "Eric?  Would you take it?"

Eric nodded mutely.   Jake quickly left the police station.

**********     **********

Dr. Dhuwalia finished his exam and smiled, "She looks good.   Maybe a little dehydrated but not too bad."

"Is there anything special we need to do for her?   She's been living with my Aunt.   There wasn't anymore baby food at the house and it's not like there's any baby food at the market?"  

Gail chuckled and hugged Heather, "Honey, she'll be fine.   She has teeth.   She'll learn to eat the same food we do."

Eric walked in the door.   He saw Heather holding a very small little girl.   He held out the pink diaper bag Jake had packed, "Jake sent this to you.   He said you forgot it in the car."

"Where is he?   Is he alright?" Johnston asked.   He held out his hands to Molly, who readily came to him.  

"He had something here in town to take care of.   He'll be home soon."

Suddenly a dark expanding spot appeared on Johnston's shirt.    His eyes got big and he held Molly out from him.   He started chuckling and was joined by everyone in the room.   "I guess I have just been officially christened."

Gail opened the diaper bag and saw a very well packed bag.   It hit her that her son had taken care of a baby...and had obviously done it well.    She smiled to herself and handed Heather a diaper, some clothes and a pink pacifier on a clip.        

Johnston sat Molly on the stretcher.    Heather slowly dressed her daughter.   It had been a very long time since she'd dressed a baby and Molly was squirming.

"Do you have any other questions?" Dr. Dhuwalia asked, watching Heather and smiling.

"No, we're going to take my granddaughter home and get her settled," Johnston said.

Kenchy Dhuwalia smiled, "Very good.   If you have any problems bring her back in," he said, slipping out of the room.

"Heather?  I didn't know you had a baby," Eric said, still confused.   "Where's she been?"

Gail picked Molly up and looked at Heather, "Molly's been living with Heather's aunt, and now she's at home with her mother, Eric.   Where she belongs.   Are you ready to take our girl home?" Gail asked.    She looked pointedly at her son,   "Eric, we'll talk about this at home.    Let's go."

***************

Johnston pulled the truck into the driveway.   Eric pulled in behind him.    Johnston walked around and opened the door for Heather and Gail,  taking Molly from Heather and walking towards the front door, shaking the keys in Molly's face, trying to get a smile.

"You know you've lost her forever, right?" Gail asked Heather and chuckling at her husband.    She put her arm around Heather's shoulder and walked slowly towards the front door with her.    

"Heather, sit down with me," Gail said, motioning to the porch swing.   "Jake told us what's going on.    Just Johnston and me, and we agreed not to tell anyone else, not even Eric.   Honey, I'm not saying don't do this but let's talk.   Two weeks ago you didn't have any children.   Now you're going to have 2 and you're pregnant."

Heather sighed and smiled.   She was relieved that they wouldn't have to do this alone.  "Mom, I've always wanted a big family.   Jake knows that."

"Honey, you've just gotten married.    Are you sure this is what you and Jake want?"

"Gail, Jake saved her life.   You didn't see him with her.   He wants this as much as I do."

"Johnston and I will help you as much as we can, you know that right?   But, Honey, most of this is going to fall on you.     Are you okay with that?"

"Yes.   I am so sure it's scary.   I'm not teaching anyone but Jacob.    I have nothing but time.   This is our little girl.   I feel it."

Gail smiled at her and gave her a hug.   They got up and walked into the house.   "Well that's good   Because I don't think Johnston is going to change his mind.   That's his granddaughter," Gail said laughing, watching Johnston blow a raspberry on Molly's tummy.   Molly collapsed in laughter.    She had Johnston wrapped around her little finger and everyone knew it.

Eric walked in just as Gail said Molly was Johnston's granddaughter.  "What?" he asked.   "Heather?  I'm really confused.   Jake told me you have a daughter.  When did you have a baby?"

"Eric, go say hello to your niece, Molly.   Heather and Jake's little girl."

Heather suddenly pushed past Eric and ran towards the bathroom.   Gail followed her.
"Honey, are you alright?"

Heather walked out of the bathroom holding a cold wash cloth to her mouth, "I'm alright.  I have got to remember to eat."

Gail hugged her and walked with her back to the living room.  Heather sat down in the floor beside Molly.    

Eric looked from Gail to Heather and raised his eyebrows with sudden comprehension.   He shook his head in disbelief at everything that he had found out today, walked out the front door and started bringing in Molly's belongings.  

"Mom, where do you want me to put this stuff?"  

"Hmm...why don't you put here in the living room.   We'll go thru it and figure out what to do with it.   Heather, where did you want her sleep?"

"I'm thinking put her in with me and Jake for a few nights while we figure each other out.  I mean, we're still getting used to each other.  Again.  How's that sound?" Heather asked, stammering.

Jake walked into the living room, "How does what sound?   Put who in where?"

Eric looked at Heather and then at Jake, "Um...I'm gonna finish with the baby's stuff and then can someone tell me what's going on?" he said and turned quickly and walked out the front door.

Johnston stood up and cleared his throat, looking at Gail and motioning towards the kitchen, "We'll go fix lunch," he said.

Jake looked around the room, "I had no idea I could clear a room that quick.   I didn't think I smelled that bad," he said, smiling.   He sat down in the floor beside Heather and took her hand, "Heather, I want to talk to you about the baby."

Heather looked at Jake and hesitantly said, "Okay," afraid he had changed his mind.

"Heather, I've taken care of a birth certificate and social security card," he said handing her an envelope.      

Heather opened the envelope and saw a Colorado Birth Certificate and a social security card for Molly Erin Lisinski.  

"How did you do this?" Heather asked, amazed.

"Robert Hawkins used to be a computer guy," Jake said, smiling slightly.   "Does it look right?"

Heather leaned over and kissed Jake, "That is exactly right.  Jake, say hello to your daughter, Molly Green."

"Good," Jake said, kissing Molly's cheek.   "I'm going to take a quick shower so I can hold my daughter."

**********     **********     **********

Eric walked back in the living room and sat the final bag outside Jake and Heather's bedroom.   He looked at Heather, took a deep breath, walked over and sat down beside her.

"Heather, what's goin' on?" Eric asked.  

"I had a baby.  I didn't want to lose my job so I didn't tell anyone."

"I'm not stupid, Heather.   You've never been pregnant."

Gail walked into the living room.   Heather looked at her and they nodded at each other.

"Okay, Eric," Gail began, "you cannot say a word to anyone.   Not even to Mary.   I'm serious, Eric.   No one.  Do you understand?   If Gray found out about this....."

"Mother, what's going on?" Eric demanded, loudly.

"Jake and Heather are adopting...."

"We found her this morning....."

"Her parents were dead, Eric...."

"She almost fell in the lake...."

"We're protecting the family, Eric...."

"We're going to tell everyone that she's my daughter...."

"See she had been living with Heather's aunt so Heather didn't lose her job...."

"Since Jake and I are married now, we decided to bring her here to live...."

Eric shook his head in confusion.    He looked up at Johnston, who had walked out of the kitchen and heard the whole thing.

"Alright, Ladies, enough.    Son, this morning Jake and Heather found this little girl.   Jake found her parents dead.    Murdered.   They've decided to adopt the child.    There's no way of knowing who killed her parents or if Jake and Heather were seen.    We're going to try to pass Molly off as Heather's daughter.   A year and a half ago Heather had surgery and was away for a month.   That's when she had the baby.   The child lived with an aunt until now.   That's the story.   You need to keep that story to yourself.   The fewer people who know the better off we are."

"Are you pregnant Heather?" Eric asked, on a hunch.

"Yes, I am.   I'm about two and half months along."

Eric stood up, took a deep breath and shook his head, "Okay then.   So Heather has a daughter who's a year and half old.    Her name is Molly.   She's pregnant but we're not talking about that yet.    Do I have it straight?"

"Sounds about right.    Is there anything else outside?"

"Nope.  I'm gonna head home.   I'll see you in a day or two," Eric said, leaning down, smiling and kissing Heather's cheek.   "Congratulations, Heather."    He walked out the front door shaking his head.

"Ladies, you've got to get to be better than that.   That was pathetic.   You'll never pass this story off if you can't get it together."

**********     **********     **********

Jake came out of the bathroom to find Johnston holding Molly at the fireplace.   Molly was pointing at a picture, "Ba-ee."

"Yes, that's right.   That's a baby.   That's Daddy," Johnston said, pointing at the picture.   He pointed to another picture, "That's your brother, Jacob.   You'll meet him soon."

Jake smiled and shook his head, "Okay, Dad.   It's my turn.   I'm the only one who hasn't gotten to play with her."

"You can't have her.   Changed my mind.   I've waited for a daughter for 40 years.    New plan.   Your mother and I are gonna to keep her.  Isn't that right, sweetie pie?" he said, smiling.

"So, I secretly had a baby a year and half ago, Johnston," Gail said, walking out of the kitchen.    "That's more believable.    I don't think so.   Let her father hold her.    I need help in the kitchen," Gail said, laughing.

"Oh alright," Johnston said, handing Molly to Jake, "take care of my little girl."

Johnston was surprised momentarily at how natural Jake was with Molly when he held her.

"Johnston.   Lunch," Gail said, impatiently.

Jake heard Heather moving stuff around in the bedroom.   He and Molly went to see what she was doing.   "Whatcha doin', Mama," he said, walking into the room and seeing Heather trying to figure out how to set up a Pack and Play.  

Heather was pulling up the sides.   When they sagged she groaned in frustration, "What am I doing wrong?!  The sides won't stay up."

"Need some help?" Jake asked, smiling and remembering the first time he had done that.

"No.  I can get it."

Jake sat down on the edge of the bed.   He looked at Molly and smiled, "Your mom is super smart.   She can make ice out of water and fertilizer.    Let's watch."

She pulled the side up again and looked over at Jake, "See?" she said, with a smile.

The side sagged again.

"Um hmmm," he said, pointing.

"Eeewwwww," she said in frustration.

"You know if you..." Jake started.

"I can get it!" she said.

"Ok," Jake said, laughing, "if it means that much to you."  He lay back on the bed and sat Molly on his chest, where she immediately started bouncing and laughing.

Five minutes later, Heather looked over at him, sweat dripping off her face, "Are you gonna help me with this or not?"

"I would have helped you when we walked in the door but no, you had to do it," he said, smiling.   Jake handed Molly to Heather walked over to the playpen and had it set up in less than a minute, "Look, you have to click the sides in place to lock them.   Like this," he said, demonstrating.

Heather stuck her tongue out at him and said, "Show-off."

They heard someone knocking on the front door.  

Jake laughed at Heather and started towards the door, "I can't help it if I'm mechanically superior," he said, ducking when Heather threw a pillow at him.

He was still chuckling when he answered the door.

"Well you're in a good mood!" Stanley said, smiling and walking in.  "And you're home early too.   You can't have Jacob back.   He's mine now.   For once I'm not outnumbered."

Heather walked out of the bedroom holding Molly, "Jake, with your superiority you now get to assemble everything.   I just wouldn't know how."

"What's that?" Stanley confused.

Jake took Molly from Heather and smiled, "This, Stanley, is a baby.   Her name is Molly.   It's a long story but the short version is this is Heather's daughter, now our daughter.   She's been living with Heather's aunt and she's going to live with us now.   I'll explain everything later.  Jacob doesn't know.  Don't tell him."

"What? A daughter? How?  When?" Stanley exclaimed, obviously confused.

Heather blushed.   She hadn't thought about having to explain this to Stanley, "Remember when I was out of school for a month with appendicitis?   Well, it wasn't exactly appendicitis."

"You lied?  To me?"

"Stanley, I'm sorry.   I could've lost my job.   I didn't tell anyone except my Aunt Caroline when I found out I was pregnant.    She took care of her for me."

"How old is she?"

"She's 18 months old," Heather said.

Stanley took her from Jake, "Hi, Baby."   Molly puckered up and started wailing and reached for Jake.   He took her and she immediately stopped crying.

"What's that all about," Stanley asked, shocked.   "Babies love me," he said reaching for her again.   Molly turned her head into Jake's neck and started crying again.

"What babies?" Jake asked, smiling and patting Molly's back,   "She's had a big day.   I'm sure she'll love you tomorrow."

"How in the world did you hide it?" Stanley asked.

"Well, she was little.   Luckily it was a cold fall and early winter, so by the time I was really showing, I could hide it under big sweaters.  Not many people pay a lot of attention to an old maid school teacher Stanley.   I didn't really have to hide anything."

"Anybody who didn't pay attention to you is crazy," Jake said, smiling and kissing the tip of her nose.    He gave her a quick hug and winked at her to show his support.

"Eww.      There's an impressionable child you know."

"You'll get used to it," Jake laughed.  

"Heather?" Stanley asked, hesitantly, "who's her father?    If it's someone here in town and he didn't step up and do the right thing....."

"It's not, Stanley.   He was a really good friend from Denver.   We had dinner after a teacher's conference, too much to drink, one thing lead to another.   It was only one time, but I guess it was the right time," Heather said, looking down at the floor.

"Heather, you don't drink," Stanley said, quietly.

"Yeah, well, look what happens when I do," she said, blushing bright red.

"Did he do the right thing?"

"Of course, Stanley.   Tommy was a very good man," Heather said, kissing Molly's cheek.    "I wouldn't trade the results of that mistake for anything."

"Let me grab my keys and I'll follow you back and bring Jacob home."

"Jacob.  Oh yeah, that's what I came to town for.   He needs a dry pair of shoes.   He kinda fell in the swimming hole when I was showing him the tire swing.   Why don't you let him spend another night.   Get settled in with the baby and come get him in the morning or maybe even the next day."

"Are you sure?" Jake asked.   "That'd be great but I don't want to impose."

"Impose?  Are you kidding?  I've finally got somebody to play with.   Bonnie don't play no more and Mimi....well Mimi is all girly and don't like to get dirty.   We're taking the dirtbikes out this afternoon, I still have to teach him how to throw horseshoes, we need to practice the perfect pass some more, I just found the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots and then there's ghost stories.   You can't take him now!"

Jake laughed, "Okay.  I'll let him stay.  But make sure your little buddy gets at least a little sleep.   Tomorrow might be traumatic for him."

"Gee, thanks, Mr. Green!" Stanley laughed. "We won't stay up too late, I promise."

Heather walked down the stairs carrying a very worn pair of sneakers, "This is his last pair.   Be careful," Heather said, smiling.

"Yes, Ma'am," Stanley said, saluting.   He reached out to tickle Molly and she started crying again.   "I don't get it," Stanley said, shaking his head.  

"She'll love her Uncle Stanley, don't worry about it.   I'll see you in the morning," Jake said, walking Stanley to the door.

Jake closed the door, turned around and flashed Heather a big grin, "Now that was impressive.   Where did you pull that story from?"

"Harlequin Romance," she said, laughing.    

Molly, in a much better mood, laughed along with Heather.  Heather kissed her cheek and held her hands out to take Molly from Jake.

"Well, Grandpa said I had to tell a better story, didn't he?"

Molly babbled in agreement.

Jake laughed and said, "Let's go see what Grandpa came up with for lunch.  I'm hungry."

**********     **********     **********
 
Bedtime was horrible.    Obviously, Molly had a bedtime routine that was not being followed and she resisted, vocally, without giving in to sleep.   They all tried different things, but nothing worked.    After two hours, Heather was in tears.  Finally, Jake took Molly in the bedroom and tried the only thing that ever worked when Jacob was a baby.    He shut the door, blew out the candles so that it was totally dark, laid down on the bed, held her tightly against his chest and hummed "Take Me Out To the Ballgame".    Molly went to slept almost instantly.    Jake decided to hold her a while longer just in case she wasn't deeply asleep.
 
When Jake had not reappeared 45 minutes later, Johnston, Gail and Heather started getting concerned.   There had been silence from the room for a long time but still no Jake.   
 
"What do you think's going on in there?" Heather asked, looking at the bedroom door.
 
"I don't know.   Why hasn't he come out yet?" Gail said, looking at Johnston.
 
"How am I supposed to know?" Johnston asked.   He got up and walked towards the bedroom.
 
"Johnston!  NO!  What if you wake her up," Gail said.
 
"We'll never know if I don't look.   I'll be quiet," Johnston said, quietly opening the door.   He looked in the room and then turned around.   He was smiling softly.   He put his finger to his lips and motioned them over.   Jake was laying on his back with Molly sprawled across his chest.   Both were sound asleep.    He went in and gently picked Molly up and put her in her bed and pulled a quilt over Jake.
 
***********     **********     **********
 
Heather slid into bed beside Jake and snuggled up to him.
 
He put his arm around her and smiled in the darkness, "I'm sorry I fell asleep on you.   I guess I was tired."
 
"It's alright.   I think Molly wore you out.   Jake, what did you find out there?" Heather asked quietly.
 
"Do you really want to talk about that?"
 
"Yes.   I need to know."
 
"We found two dead bodies.    I buried them.   Can we just leave it at that?"
 
Heather, sensing Jake's hesitancy, decided to not ask anything else, "Okay, Jake.   I won't make you talk about it."
 
Jake hugged her tightly, "Thank you."
 
Jake woke up several hours later hearing Heather moaning in her sleep and twisting the covers.  She woke up suddenly and sat up with a gasp.
 
"Hey," Jake asked "are you okay?"
 
"Kane.   Jake what if he comes back.   What if he comes for us."
 
"He won't.   Don't worry about that."
 
"You don't know that.   He might.   What if it was him that killed those people," Heather said, starting to cry.   Jake pulled her into a crushing hug.
 
"Heather, he won't ever hurt you again.   He's dead," Jake said, quietly.
 
"How do you know that?" Heather asked.
 
"Because I was there," Jake said, rubbing her back.    "That's why I was late the night before our wedding.   I had to protect my family."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Jake walked into the Richmond farmhouse the next afternoon.    Jacob flew across the room and gave his father a hug.
 
"Dad!!!  Your back!!"
 
Jake smiled and hugged Jacob back, "Did you have a good time with Uncle Stanley."
 
"We had tons of fun.   We rode dirtbikes and horses and had water balloon fights.   Uncle Stanley tells the best ghost stories."
 
Stanley and Mimi walked in from the kitchen.   Stanley grinned and said, "You can't have him.    I won't have anyone to play with." 
 
"He can come and play another day.   I promise," Jake laughed.   He looked at Jacob, "Grab your stuff.   Heather's dyin' to see you."
 
"Okay," Jacob said, taking the stairs two at a time.
 
"How did everything go at home last night?" Stanley asked, after making sure Jacob was out of earshot.   
 
"More importantly, when do we get to meet your daughter?" Mimi asked, excited.   "I love kids, as long as I don't have to give birth to them."
 
They all laughed.   Jacob bounded down the stairs.
 
Jake and Jacob walked to the door, "We'll see you in a coupla days," Jake said, smiling.
 
They got in the car and headed back towards Jericho.   
 
"Why didn't Heather come?"
 
"Well, a lot happened while we were gone.    I wanted to have a talk with you.   Just you and me."
 
"Okay."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Jacob stormed into the house.   He looked in the living room and saw Heather sitting on the floor with his new baby sister.
 
Heather smiled at him, "Hi, Honey."
 
"Hi,"  Jacob said, angrily, looking from Heather to Molly and then at Jake, who had just walked in the door, "I told you not to bring home babies and you go and bring two!"    He turned around, ran up the stairs and slammed his bedroom door.   Molly jumped and started crying.
 
"He's surprised," Jake said, uncomfortably.
 
Tears welled up in Heather's eyes.
 
Jake rolled his eyes, sighed and said, "Life was so much easier when I worked for the CIA."

**********     **********     **********

Thanks for reading my story!!   Feedback is always appreciated!!

Chapter 22: No More Ordinary Days by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.    I am borrowing them for a while and I promise to give them back.

Special thanks to Marzee, Nightsky and JT.    They are great to work with.   JT, thanks for the weapons advice!!!   

This one is REALLY REALLY long.    Grab a cup of coffee or caffeine of your choice and I hope you enjoy!!

AUTHOR'S NOTE:   THERE MIGHT BE A FEW PARTS THAT ARE A PG-13 OR BETTER RATING.   FOR THE YOUNGER MEMBERS OF OUR BOARD (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) YOU HAVE BEEN DUELY WARNED.


**********     **********     **********     **********     **********

Chapter 22

Jake heard a loud persistent banging.   He jerked awake.    He could see Heather curled around Molly in the near darkness.   There was a curt knock on his and Heather's bedroom door.
 
"Yeah," he said, sleepily.
 
Johnston stuck his head in the bedroom, "Get up, Jake.   Stanley's here.  Somethin's goin' on down at Town Hall.   We need to be there.  Quick."
 
Jake got out of bed very quietly.    Molly had been up every hour crying.    Jake had tried all his tricks.    The only thing that had finally gotten any of them any sleep was putting her in the bed with them.    He pulled on jeans and a t-shirt.   He grabbed his boots on the way out of the bedroom and eased the door shut.
 
"Lookin' a little tired there, Buckaroo.    How's fatherhood?" Stanley asked, grinning wickedly.
 
"I'm a little older than I was last time," Jake said, yawning and pulling on his boots.  "I forgot about the lack of sleep.    She'll get settled soon.   I hope."
 
Johnston looked at him, "Jake, when you and Eric were babies...."
 
Jake pulled on his jacket, looked at Johnston and held up his hand, "Dad, not now.  We'll work it out."   He looked at Stanley, "So, what's so important at 3 am?"
 
"I don't really know.   There's a boy in Gray's office.   He says he has a message from New Bern.   That's all he'll say."
 
The three men headed towards the door.    No one had seen Jacob walk down the stairs.
 
"Dad?   What's goin' on?  Are you going away?"
 
"What're you doing awake?" Jake asked, walking back towards Jacob.   This was the first he had seen the boy in hours.    Jacob had been very upset when he heard about Heather's pregnancy and found out he was now a big brother to boot.  He had stayed in his room the rest of the day, pouting.    "It's just a late meeting.   I'll be back in a little while.   Go back to bed," he said.
 
"Can I go?" Jacob asked, hesitantly.
 
"Bud, it's the middle of the night.   I need you to stay here and look after the house."
 
"Are you coming back?" Jacob asked, kicking the banister lightly.
 
Jake looked back at Johnston and Stanley and waved them out the door.   He looked back at his son and smiled.
 
"Of course I'm coming back.   I'll be home in a little while.   I promise," Jake said, giving Jacob a hug.
 
"Okay," Jacob said, in a voice that showed he clearly didn't believe his father.   He turned around and slowly went back up the stairs.    When Jake heard the bedroom door close, he shook his head, sighed and headed out the front door.
 
**********     **********     **********      **********
 
Jake and Johnston still weren't home by lunch so Gail decided to go to Town Hall to see what was going on.   
 
Jacob, hearing Gail's plan, immediately started begging to go too.
 
"Please, Gran?    Please can I go?" Jacob asked.
 
"Honey, don't you think you need to stay here with Heather?   She might need you," Gail said.
 
Jacob glanced coldly over at the rocking chair where Heather was trying to get Molly to take a nap and then looked back at his grandmother, "She'll be fine.    She has that baby.   She's not alone."
 
Gail raised her eyebrows, "Jacob, that's ugly.    You need to apologize."
 
"Sorry," Jacob muttered, not sounding apologetic in the least.
 
"I don't care if you don't, Gail," Heather said, resignedly.   "We'll be fine.   I'll take a nap when Molly goes down."
 
"Okay, we'll be back soon," Gail said, herding Jacob out the door.   "A nap will be good for you.   You need your rest."
 
She took Jacob's hand and they started down the sidewalk towards downtown.   
 
"Jacob, that baby is Heather's daughter and your step-sister.    She's little and needs a big brother to protect her.     Your mother's going to have a baby in a few months and she needs your help.    Pouting and acting like a brat isn't going to help anyone.   It's time for you to grow up a little bit."
 
"Yes, Ma'am," Jacob said, placatingly.   
 
By this time they were almost to Town Hall.   Jacob heard a high pitched whining sound.   He stopped and looked up, trying to find it.     Someone screamed, "GET DOWN!!"     Gail, without thinking, shoved Jacob to the ground and laid on top of him.
The bomb hit the street, very close to them.    The explosion was so intense Jacob felt his teeth shake.    The world went black.
 
Jake ran out of Town Hall to assess the damage.   People were scattered around the large crater in the street.    Cars were overturned.   Broken glass was everywhere.   He walked out into the street and started checking the injured.    Suddenly his breath caught and he felt like someone had poured a bucket of ice water over his head.    He saw his mother and Jacob laying in the street, not moving.    Suddenly the high pitched whine of an incoming bomb could be heard.     He bellowed, "INCOMING INCOMING.  HIT THE GROUND!"     He threw himself on top of his mother and his son and started praying.
 
Jacob and Gail woke up, totally disoriented, to Jake shaking them and calling their names.    Their ears were ringing and they could barely make out what Jake was saying.    Jake breathed a sigh of relief when Jacob and Gail opened their eyes.      He picked Jacob up with one arm and supported his mother with the other and got them to the sidewalk.   
 
Jake tilted Jacob's head up and looked at his eyes and then started feeling arms and legs.  He repeated the procedure on his mother.     Nothing was broken.      Johnston and Eric ran up, out of breath.
 
"Are they alright," Johnston asked, terrified.
 
"I can't hear," Jacob yelled, putting his fingers in his ears and shaking his head.   "They're just buzzin'.   What are you saying?" he asked, hitting the side of his head and starting to panic.
 
Gail shook her head, "I can't hear."
 
Johnston took their chins in hands, so they were looking at him, and yelled, slowly, "It will go away.   It just takes time."
 
"Let's get them over to the medical center," Jake said, picking Jacob up and offering his mother his hand.
 
**********     **********     **********     **********
 
Kenchy Dhuwalia shone a light into Jacob's eyes. 
 
"My friend, you have been in my ER entirely too much this spring," he said, looking in Jacob's ears.    "How's your hearing now?"
 
"Better but I still can't hear good," Jacob said loudly.   "The buzzin' is makin my head hurt," he said, shaking his head.
 
Kenchy spoke slowly and loudly, "The buzzing will go away.    You're going to be okay.    Sit here a minute.    I'm going to get your father.   Do you understand?"
 
He nodded his head in understanding.
 
Kenchy walked out of the room and bumped into Dr. Jessica Walters.
 
"How is Mrs. Green?" Kenchy asked.
 
"She'll be fine.   Her eardrum is burst on the left side but it should heal without any problems in a few days," Dr. Walters said, writing notes in the chart.   "What about the boy?"
 
"He has pretty bad tinnitus due to noise injury but he'll be fine in a few hours.  It could have been a lot worse though."
 
"There're more patients coming in.  Will you talk to the family?" Jessica asked.
 
"Yes.   I'll be back in to help soon," Kenchy said, running his fingers thru his hair.
 
**********     **********     **********     **********
 
Heather was pacing the living room, worried out of her mind.   It had been over an hour since the house rocked with the first explosion.     She had had no word from her family.   'Are they alright?   What were those explosions?' were the thoughts that kept going through her head.    Every time she heard a noise, she ran to the window and looked out.   
 
Finally, Jake's car pulled in the driveway.     Heather put Molly, who protested loudly, in the playpen and ran outside.    Johnston was supporting Gail as she walked up the sidewalk.   Both she and Jacob were covered with dirt.
 
"Jake," Heather said, running towards him, "What happened to Jacob and Mom?? What were those explosions?"   
 
Jake hugged her, the whole time looking towards the sky, "Lets go inside.   I'll tell you inside."
 
"What's wrong, Jake?" Heather asked, frightened.
 
He put his arm around her waist and steered her towards the house, "Inside.   I'll tell you inside.  We need to get out of the open."
 
Jake locked the door firmly behind him.  He turned around and saw three sets of eyes staring back at him.    Johnston had plucked Molly out of the playpen and was standing at the fireplace.
 
"Jake?" Heather asked.
 
He walked over, sat down on the coffee table directly across from Heather and rubbed the back of his head.   "It looks like we have a situation."
 
"A situation?" Heather asked, grasping Gail's hand.
 
"Yeah.   It looks like Phil Constantino and his cronies have convinced the townspeople of New Bern that Jericho is responsible for Ravenwood attacking them.   They also think we're hoarding food and leaving them to starve.   They've given us two hours to turn over seven farms to them or they're going to send more mortars.     What you heard were the warning shots.     Mom and Jacob were pretty much at ground zero when they hit.   Mom's eardrum is burst.   It'll heal in a few days.   Jacob's got some hearing loss right now but it'll go away."
 
Heather gasped and pulled Jacob into a fierce hug.   He submitted for a few seconds and then pulled away and loudly said, "Ma....I'm okay.  Don't squeeze my eyeballs out."
 
"It's not permanent?  The hearing loss?" Heather asked, concerned..
 
"No.  It's from the concussion and loudness of the explosion," Jake said.   "It's like going to a Metallica concert and standing beside one of the speakers.   Your ears ring and your muffled but a few hours later your okay."
 
"Jake?  Are you sure it's Phil Constantino who is doing this?  His daughter was my best friend.   I spent a good bit of my teenage years at his house.  He's been sheriff forever.   He has always been a fair man," Heather said, looking confused.
 
"It was him, Heather.   We're sure," Johnston said, kissing Molly's temple.
 
"What's going to happen, Johnston?" Gail asked, looking back and forth between her husband and her son.
 
Jake held his hand up and looked at Jacob, "Jacob, you need to wash up and change clothes.   You're pretty dirty."
 
"Dad, I don't wanna go.   I want to hear too.    Why does Molly get to stay?" Jacob asked, whining.
 
"Jacob, don't," Jake said, sighing loudly.   "I'm tired and I don't want to deal with that.   Go on upstairs," he said, pointing to the stairs.
 
When he heard the bathroom door shut, Jake looked at Heather and Gail, "We're going to take out the mortars and do some recon.   We have to find out what's going on."
 
"Jake, no.   It's too dangerous!" Heather said, looking scared.
 
Johnston looked at Gail and motioned towards the kitchen.   They quickly left the room.
 
"Heather, I have to.   No one else has the training to do this.   I have to do it.   Those mortars have got to be taken out," Jake said, taking Heather's hand.   "I'll be fine.   I promise."
 
"You'll be back tonight?  When it's done?  You'll come home tonight?" Heather asked.
 
Jake took her face in his hands and slowly kissed her and then touched his forehead to hers, "I'll be back as soon as I can.    You and Mom need to get the basement set up.    You're gonna be staying down there for a while.    It's safer."
 
Jacob bounded down the steps and skidded to a stop beside Jake.
 
"I'm back," Jacob said, smiling.
 
"I see that," Jake said, returning Jacob's smile.   He pulled Jacob down on the couch beside Heather.  "I'm gotta go to work for a little while.    This is very important.   Do not go outside.    I don't know if there will be more of those bombs.    You need to help Heather and your grandmother get things ready in the basement."   
 
Johnston came out of the kitchen, followed by Gail and a very sticky Molly.    She was clutching a red sucker.    She carried another in her other hand.   She held the unopened sucker out to Jacob, grinned and said, "Ja, bite."
 
Jacob smiled, looked around self-consciously at everybody, and took the sucker.   "Thanks, Molly."
 
"Mom, where in the world did you get suckers?" Jake asked, holding his hands out to take Molly.
 
"They were in the diaper bag," she said, wiping her sucker sticky hands on her jeans.
 
Molly held the sucker out to Jake, "Bite?"
 
Jake smiled at her and licked the sucker, "Umm, cherry.   Thank you."   He kissed her and handed her to Heather.
 
He turned to Jacob and hugged him, "Behave and mind Heather and Gran."
 
"I will," Jacob said, enjoying the first sucker he had had in months.
 
**********     **********     **********     **********
 
Several hours later, Jacob and Gail had the basement ready for a camp out.     Heather saw Jacob putting his baseball bat behind the recliner he would be sleeping in.
 
"What's that for?" she asked, snapping the last lock on the pack and play.
 
"In case a bad person tries to come in the basement," Jacob said, very matter of factly.
 
Heather pulled him down beside her on the sofa bed and hugged him.    "You're something else, Jacob.    In case I forget to say it over the next couple of days, I love you.   Don't ever forget that."
 
"I won't," he said, wiggling uncomfortably.
 
"How's your headache?" she asked, moving her arm.
 
"It's better," he said, getting up and running up the steps.
 
She put her head in her hands and rubbed her temples and thought, 'When will this all end?   All I ever wanted was a happy family at the ranch house.   Now I'm hiding in the basement with my eight year old ready to protect me with a baseball bat.'

**********     **********     **********     **********
 
Evening fell slowly without a word from Jake or Johnston.    There had been no more explosions, so Heather took that as good news.      At nine o'clock, Jacob got ready for bed and promptly went to sleep, still complaining of a slight headache.    Heather started pacing the small confines of the basement holding Molly.    Every sound sent her to the foot of the stairs.    She patted and hummed but Molly wouldn't stay asleep.   Heather's tension, more than anything, kept her from settling down.   At ten o'clock, they heard the front door open.   Johnston slowly walked down the stairs to the basement, looking very tired. 
 
"Where's Jake?  Is he alright?" Heather asked, her voice edged with fear.
 
"He's finishing up down at Town Hall.   He'll be here in a little while," he said, sitting on the edge of the sofa bed and taking his boots off.
 
Molly woke up again and immediately started crying.    Heather started pacing again, bouncing her and trying to cajole her to sleep.     Johnston watched for a minute, got up and walked over to Heather.
 
"Heather, he's fine.   I swear.   He doesn't have a scratch," he said, pulling her into an awkward hug.    "Let me have the baby.   As tense as you are, she's never gonna go to sleep."    He took Molly and walked around the room twice.   Molly snuggled down into his chest and fell deeply asleep.
 
An overwhelming wave of nausea washed over Heather.   She put her hand over her mouth and ran for the stairs.       Johnston and Gail looked at each other and shook their heads in commiseration.
 
They heard the front door open and then heard Jake and Heather talking.   Minutes later the bedroom door closed and they heard nothing else.
 
After ten minutes, Gail looked at Johnston, "Where are they?    Do you think Heather's alright?" she asked.    She got up and started towards the stairs, "Maybe I should go check on them."
 
Johnston cleared his throat and smiled slightly at Gail, "I wouldn't do that.    They're fine.    Remember back to the night before I left for Vietnam.    Let 'em have their time, Gail.    We're babysittin' tonight."    He started to put Molly in her bed but stood back up and walked over to the bed with Molly still in his arms.   Gail looked at him with a troubled expression.
 
"Is it that bad?" she asked, remembering the night.   They had been married for all of three months, and she didn't know if she would ever see Johnston again.   
 
"It's worse.   We're going to be fighting friends and neighbors.   People we have known our whole life.   It's going to be ugly and it's going to be bloody.   Lots of people are gonna die and it's all for nothing.    It's going to start a vicious cycle of back and forth fighting that will rule Jacob's and Molly's lives," Johnston said, looking at his grandchildren.    He leaned over and put Molly down in the middle of the sofa bed.
 
"Johnston Green, what are you doing?" Gail asked.
 
"She's had a traumatic experience.    She doesn't need to be alone," he said, smiling down at his granddaughter.   
 
Gail groaned, "And, here I thought my days of having babies in the bed ended twenty five years ago!"
 
"It's only one night, Granny," Johnston said, smiling at Gail.
 
Gail rolled her eyes and then smiled, giving in, "If that's what you want, Grandpa."
 
**********     **********     **********     **********
 
Jake closed the door to the hall closet.    When he turned around he saw Heather walking quickly towards the bathroom, crying.   
 
"Heather?  What's wrong?  Are you alright?" Jake asked, following her into the bathroom.
 
He sat down on the side of the bathtub and pulled her hair back while she was sick.
 
She smiled up at him.   "Thanks," she said, starting to stand up.
 
"Stay there," he said, wetting a washcloth and handing it to her.
 
"Are you okay?" he asked, worried.
 
She nodded, wiping her mouth.    She slowly stood up and went to the sink.   She took the mini flashlight out of her pocket, located her toothbrush and quickly brushed her teeth.    She splashed more cold water on her face and after she patted it dry, turned into Jake's waiting arms and started to cry again.
 
"Hey, hey," he said, hugging her tightly, "it's okay.  Shhhh, it's okay."  He reached down and dropped the lid on the toilet, sat down and pulled her down on his lap.   
 
"Jake, I thought something had happened to you.   I don't know what I'd do if you.... if something..." she said, burying her face in his neck.
 
"Nothing's going to happen to me," Jake said.   "I'm okay."
 
They held each other for a long few minutes before Jake nudged her slightly. 
 
"Spending the night on the throne wasn't really my plan," he said, smiling.    "Why don't we go in the bedroom where it's more comfortable."
 
Heather got up and followed Jake out of the bathroom.  She stopped at the bedroom door and looked hesitantly back towards the kitchen, where the door to the basement was.   
 
"What about the kids?   Molly's still up, Jake," Heather said.
 
"Mom and Dad understand," Jake said, smiling softly, "trust me."    He pulled her into the bedroom, shut the door and locked it.
 
He kicked his shoes off, laid down on the bed and held his hand out to Heather.   "Now, where were we?" he asked, pulling her down beside him.
 
**********     **********     **********     **********
 
A long time later, they lay spooned together.    Heather was on the verge of sleep, feeling totally safe in the circle of Jake's arms.    Jake lightly traced Heather's abdomen with the tips of his fingers.     He hoped the child inside her knew he was there, loving it already.    Jake knew what he was getting ready to do was going to totally ruin the mood but there were some things he needed to tell Heather, just in case.   He took a deep breath, reached up and shook her slightly.
 
"Heather," he whispered.
 
"Hmmmm," she said, from a doze.
 
"We need to talk," Jake said, quietly.   "There're some things I need to tell you."
 
She trembled slightly under his hand.    He reached down, pulled the blanket up from the foot of the bed and tucked it around her.
 
"Why now, Jake?" Heather asked, fear tingeing her voice.
 
"Babe, in a few hours, I'm going to be fighting a war against the people of New Bern.   Before I leave, I want you to know a few things.   Important things.   In case I.....  Well if something happens....."
 
"No, Jake.   Don't talk like that.   It's bad luck.   Quick say a prayer," she said, turning so she could see his face in the semi-darkness.
 
He smiled softly at her.  "You say one for me," he said, stroking her cheek.
 
"You guys are going to have some company til this thing is over.   Bonnie and Mimi are going to stay here."
 
"That's great.   I love them both, but why?   Why aren't they staying at the ranch?"
 
"This thing is gonna happen at the ranch.    It's the highest, most defensible spot around.    If we're gonna win it'll be there or no where."
 
"Oh," Heather said, quietly. 
 
"Mary might stay.   Eric's talking to her.   I'm not sure what she's gonna do."
 
"Okay."
 
"There are two guns in the hall closet.   I want you to hide them somewhere in the     basement.    Somewhere the kids can't get to them,"  Jake said, rolling over onto his back and pulling a pillow under his head.
 
"Jake, I don't like guns.    They make me uncomfortable," Heather said, settling her head on Jake's chest.   
 
The wind picked up outside making the moon throw strange shadows across the room.   Tree branches started tapping on the side of the house and against the house's tin roof.    It lent a creepy quality to the darkness that made Heather shiver.
 
"I know," Jake whispered, hugging her tightly to him.  "I brought a Glock and a MP5K."
 
"I don't know what that means.   Is that good or bad?"
 
"They're easy to use.   Click the safety off and they're ready.    Even Jacob could use one if he had to."
 
Heather shuddered.   She remembered the unbelievably loud sound the gun made in the tunnel when she was trying to get Jacob away from the Ravenwood men.   She remembered the blood and the dead eyes of the man she killed.    Tears started leaking out the corners of her eyes.
 
"Jake, I don't ever want to kill another man," she said, quietly.   "Please tell me I won't have to do that."
 
He rubbed her back and kissed the top of her head, "I know.   I hope you don't have to.   But I want you to be able to defend yourself and the kids.   I don't think it'll come to that."
 
"Heather, this is very important.   If something happens to me, you have to do everything I'm going to tell to do.    Your safety and the kids' safety might depend on it.    Do you remember the papers I showed you and Mom?   The social security cards, the passports and the birth certificates?"   He felt Heather nod.    "If something happens to me, you have to destroy them.   Burn them.   Make sure every bit of it's gone.   That stuff is hidden in the bunker, in the wall behind the shelves.  Remember where I'm talking about?    They're in a bag sealed with parafin.   Destroy them as soon as it's safe to travel.    Will you do that?"
 
"O- Okay," Heather said, hesitantly. 
 
"This new government might not believe that I haven't told you particulars about my job.    Just make sure things are destroyed.     The real deals are in my laptop case.   Pull the laptop out.   Feel in the bottom of that pocket.  There's a small flaw in the fabric.    Pull it and in the hole there's a envelope with the true originals of everything," Jake said.   He took a deep breath and bit his bottom lip.   "In that envelope you'll find all the papers concerning Jacob's custody."
 
"Jake, why would I need those?  There's me and your parents.   I don't think we'll be having any kind of custody fight."
 
"Not with them you won't," Jake said, pinching the bridge of his nose.
 
"What are you trying to say?   Isn't his mother dead?" Heather asked.
 
"No.  She's not dead."
 
"Would you just tell me what you're trying not to say?" Heather asked, sounding frustrated.
 
"Jacob's biological mother is alive and well and lives right here in Jericho.   And she wants him."
 
Heather sat up beside Jake, pulling the sheet with her, "Jake Green, who is she?   Why don't you want her around him?   Would you please stop beating around the bush and just tell me?"
 
"Her name is Becca.  It was Lucas but it's Lawson now.    She's a nurse down at the clinic."
 
"You mean that woman who is always there when we are?"

"That's the one," Jake said, taking a deep breath.
 
"Your mother does not care for her in the least.   There is instant cold whenever they're anywhere near each other."
 
Jake looked at Heather, "What?  What're you talking about?"
 
"Whenever they're anywhere near each other, your mother get red spots on her cheeks and her voice is icy.   She doesn't like the woman.    What did she do to Jacob?"
 
"My mother doesn't have a clue who she is.   At least, she's not supposed to.   I'll have to talk to her in the morning.    As far as Becca, she didn't do anything to him.   She just didn't care.   She never paid any attention to him.   If it didn't involve basic care she didn't do it.   When Jacob was 18 months old, Becca decided she didn't want to be a mother.   She handed him to me.   While I was putting him in the car seat she got in her car and left.   No hug, no kiss goodbye.....she just left.    When we got to California I petitioned for custody.   Not only did she sign her rights away, she wrote the judge a letter saying she had no interest whatsoever in her child." 
 
"What's the issue if she's got no interest?"
 
"Seems after his skateboard accident, she got interested.   She's decided that after six and a half years, she wants to be his mother.   If something happens to me, she'll be on your doorstep in minutes."
 
"She shouldn't bother.   She's not coming near him," Heather said, angrily.
 
Jake smiled and hugged her, "I like it when you're feisty."         
 
She pulled back and looked at him. "Well you just get yourself back here in one piece so I don't have to deal with it, Mr. Green," she replied in her feistiest voice.
 
Jake laughed, pulled her tightly against him and kissed her deeply.   He cupped  her face in his hands. "I'm comin' home," he whispered, nipping her bottom lip, "I promise."
 
Shivers ran up her spine.  She smiled.  "I'm gonna hold you to that."
 
**********     **********     **********     **********
 
At 6 am, Jake shook Heather.    He had been watching her sleep for the past half hour, waiting til the last possible minute to wake her.
 
"Hey, we gotta get up," he whispered, kissing her shoulder.
 
"Noooo," she groaned, snuggling closer to him.
 
"Heather, I have to," he said.   "Dad and I need to get going, I need to talk to Mom and I want to say bye to Jacob and Molly." 
 
Her eyes snapped opened, "Molly!  Jake we just left her down there with your parents.   What if she cried all night?"    She sat up and reached for her robe.   
 
Jake sat up on the side of the bed, pulled his jeans on and reached for his t-shirt.
"I'm sure they were fine."    He stretched and reached for Heather's hand.
 
When they reached the bottom of the basement stairs, they looked around.   Jacob was asleep in the recliner.    Molly wasn't in her bed.   Jake looked over at the sofa bed, looked back at Heather and grinned.   Molly was sound asleep on Johnston's chest.   "See, it's not just us.  Molly beat them too," he whispered.
 
"No one beats Johnston Green," Johnston said, quietly without opening his eyes.   "Is it time?" he asked.
 
"We have a few minutes," Jake said, walking over and picking Molly up.    He sat down in the rocking chair for a quiet moment with his daughter.
 
Johnston slowly got up and walked up the stairs.   
 
Gail, belting her robe, looked at Jake and gave him a sad smile. "I can't do much, but at least I can make you breakfast," she said, following her husband up the stairs.
 
Jake put Molly, who was still sound asleep, in her bed and looked at Heather.  "I'm going to talk to Mom about what we talked about last night.   I'll be back in a few minutes."
 
Heather, trying to hold back tears, nodded mutely at him.
 
Jake walked into the kitchen.   Gail was standing silently, looking out the back door.   Jake squeezed her shoulder.  "It's going to be okay, Mom.   We'll be fine."
 
"I know," she said, wiping tears off her cheeks.    She looked at her oldest son and patted his cheek.   "Let me get breakfast started.   Would you start the coffee?"
 
Jake got the coffee started.    He didn't know how long the propane tanks he had found at the Ravenwood compound would last, but they sure were nice to have while they did.     He looked at his mother and took a deep breath.
 
"Mom, Heather and I had a long talk last night, this morning.  Whichever you want to call it.    I told her some things she had to do if anything happened.   If I don't come home, she's going to need your help with the kids."
 
"Jake, don't talk like that," Gail said.
 
"There's something you need to know, just in case.   If something happens to me there could be a problem," Jake said, sitting down at the table.   "Mom, about Jacob's mother.   I've had custody of him since he was a baby.   The Superior Court of San Diego made that final when he was three.    She has absolutely no rights whatsoever...at her request.    Jacob hasn't seen her since he was a year and half old and knows nothing specific about her.    Her name is..... " 
 
"I know," Gail said, quietly.
 
"You know?" Jake asked.  "How?  Did she tell you?"
 
"Oh my goodness, no.   She hides in the shadows and spies.   She hardly ever says a word to me.    I overheard you talking to her when Jacob had his skateboard accident.  I've been watching Miss Rebecca ever since.   Don't worry about her, Jake."
 
Before Jake could say anything else, Jacob came slowly up the stairs.
 
"Mornin," Jacob said, yawning.    He dropped in his chair, put his head down on the table and dozed off.
 
"You just make sure you come back in one piece so that none of what you're concerned about matters," Gail said.    She leaned forward and squeezed his arm, "Your family needs you."
 
Jake looked at Jacob and then at his mother, "I will.   I promise."
 
After breakfast, Jake stood up and motioned for Jacob to follow him out on the back porch.
 
He sat down on the steps and pulled Jacob down beside him.  "I'm gonna have to leave.   I've gotta go to work."
 
Jacob's eyes dulled and he said, quietly, "Oh.   Like before?   Are you gonna be gone a long long time?"
 
"I hope not."
 
"You said you wasn't gonna do that no more," Jacob said, barely audible, picking at the wood on the steps.    "You fibbed."
 
"No.   I didn't think I would have to ever do this.   I didn't lie.   I was just wrong.   I need you to do something for me.   I need you to be good for Heather and your grandmother.   Do what they say.   Remember to stay in the house," Jake said.    He pulled Jacob into a tight hug, that was unreturned, "I'll be home in a few days."     Jake got up and walked to the kitchen door.    He turned before walking in the house, "I love you, Jacob.   Always remember that."
 
"Bye, Dad," Jacob said, refusing to look up at his father.
 
Jake walked into the kitchen shaking his head.    Gail and Heather looked at him with understanding smiles. 
 
"He's just upset," Gail said. 
 
"He'll be okay," Heather said.  "He just needs to be alone for a little while."
 
Johnston walked into the kitchen carrying Molly.   Jake held out his hands and took her.   Johnston pulled Heather into a awkward hug.   
 
"Heather, I'll take care of him.    Try not to worry," he said.
 
"Take care of yourself, Dad.   These kids need you in one piece.   They need their grandfather," Heather said, laying her hand on her abdomen.
 
Johnston went to Gail and held her tightly.   "Mrs. Green, I expect you hold down the fort til I get home."
 
Gail smiled, "I will,Mr. Green.   Come home soon."
 
Jake handed Molly to his mother and led Heather into the living room.   He kissed her deeply and held her for a long moment.
 
Johnston cleared his throat, "We need to go, Jake.   It's gettin' late."
 
"I know."
 
"I tried to tell Jacob bye but he wouldn't say anything."
 
"He's upset.   He'll be okay," Jake said, looking towards the back door.
 
They picked up their guns and walked out the front door towards Johnston's truck.
 
When they got to the driveway, Jacob came bounding around the side of the house.   He flung himself into Jake's arms and gave him a tight hug.  "I love you, Dad.   Come home soon."
 
Jake picked him up and carried him to the front steps where Heather and Gail were waiting.    He ruffled his hair and smiled, "I'll see ya in a few days."

**********     **********     **********      **********
 
Three days later, Jake opened the front door and looked around.    The living room was empty.      The last time he had seen his family, he had sent them into hiding in the basement.
 
It was just past daybreak.  Jake knew life was getting ready to change drastically, again.   At this moment he didn't care.   He just wanted to see his wife and his children.   He ached to see them.
 
He quietly walked down the steps to the basement.   Heather and Molly were curled up together on one side of the sofa bed.   Jacob and Dreyfuss, the dog, were snuggled up on the other side.   Mimi, Bonnie and Mary were sleeping on blowup mattresses.
 
Jake knelt down beside Heather and stroked her cheek.   Her eyes fluttered open.   She raised her hand to her mouth and gasped.
 
"It's over, Heather.    It's over."
 
"Thank God," she said, squeezing his hand.
 
The Battle for Jericho had lasted for three days.   Before the fighting at the Richmond Farm, they had had to endure mortor attacks.    No family had escaped loss---be it friend or family member.   Now the Hell of Reconstruction would begin.
 
Heather very slowly pulled a canvas strap off her wrist, got up and quietly followed Jake upstairs.
 
"We haven't heard anything since the first day, Jake," Heather said, sitting down on the sofa.   "How's Johnston?"
 
"It was a shoulder wound.   He lost a lot of blood but Kenchy was able to get the bullet out.   It'll be a while, but he'll be alright.  He's mean as a grizzly bear so I think he's getting better.     Mom's still at the hospital with him.    I stopped by there first.   How was everything here?   I'm assuming not good after seeing you and Jacob leashed together."
 
"We've been locked in a small room for three days, Jake.   Take a guess," Heather said, smiling tiredly.   "Our son is uh...maybe just a little bit stubborn?   He was determined to go to the hospital.    I thought Mimi was going to get a crash course in childcare yesterday."
 
"Why?" Jake asked, suspiciously.
 
"Jacob snuck out of the basement.   I was changing Molly's diaper and he slipped out.   I caught him just as he was going out the front door.  I can't spank him.   I put him in time out for an hour.    I found that baby leash thing in Molly's diaper bag and we've been very close ever since.    After all the injuries and deaths, I didn't know what else to do.   How are things out at Stanley's?
 
"There's a lot of people dead.   People I've known my whole life.    Tommy Dickens, John Chase, Curtis Garth, Alan Brown.   They're gone.   It reminded me of Iraq."
 
"Jake, I'm so sorry," Heather said, hugging him tightly.
 
They held each other tightly for several minutes.
 
"Heather, the military came.   The United States Army.   They're the ones who stopped the fighting.   They were out of Cheyenne."
 
"Cheyenne?" Heather asked, very confused.   "What about Washington?   Who's President."
 
"I don't know much.   I wanted to get home and make sure you and the kids were alright.   Cheyenne is the new capital.   Secretary Valente appears to be in charge there.   There's a Colonel Pierce in charge here.    There's going to be a town meeting tomorrow afternoon.    Everything is supposed to be made clear then."
 
Heather nodded but before she could say anything Jacob ran into the room and flung himself at Jake.
 
"Dad!!  You're home!!" Jacob yelled, wildly hugging Jake.
 
Jake hugged him tightly.   "So I hear you've been trying to escape?"
 
Jacob glared at Heather, unvelcroed the wrist strap and let it drop to the floor. "Do you know what she did to me?   She made me wear a baby leash," he said, indignantly.
 
"You should've behaved.   Be glad it was Heather.   If it had been your grandmother, I can guarantee would have spent the night sleeping on your stomach.    I probably would have just locked you in the closet."
 
"But..."
 
"No buts.   You knew you weren't supposed to go outside and you tried to anyway.   You were punished accordingly.   Now get over it," Jake said, smiling.   He pulled Jacob into another hug, "I missed you so much.    Nobody argued with me for three whole days.   I didn't know what to do with myself."
 
**********     **********     **********     **********   
 
The streets were crowded with people walking to the high school for the town meeting.      Here and there Jake saw armed soldiers scanning the crowd.    He was assuming they were there to keep peace but it made him extremely uneasy to see that many of the weapons had the safetys off.    He did a slow burn when he saw some of the soldiers leering at women and making crude remarks.
 
Heather recognized the set of her husband's face and it made her uneasy. "Jake, what's wrong?" she asked, shifting Molly to the other side so that she was between her and Jake instead of vulnerable on the outside.   
 
"Nothing.    Let's just keep moving."   
 
Jacob saw Brody ahead and started to speed up.    Jake clamped his hand on his shoulder to stop him.
 
"No."
 
"Why?   I want to walk with Brody."
 
Jake bent down and whispered, "Son, look at the soldiers.   They're watching everything.    Don't give them a reason to have to react.    You stay right here with your mother and me."
 
Jacob cut his eyes at his father and nodded briefly, one time.    He settled for waving at Brody.     When Brody's mother saw Jake's reaction, her eyes got big.    Jake looked at her, giving her an almost imperceptible nod.     She clutched Brody to her and continued walking.
 
Eric and Mary joined them at the street corner beside Bailey's Tavern.
 
"What's with all the soldiers on the street?" Mary asked.
 
Jake shrugged, "I don't know.   I expect we'll find out."
 
The football stadium at Jericho High School was packed.     Snatches of gossip about the appearance of Heather Green's daughter, deaths of friends and neighbors and the condition of Johnston Green and the other wounded were mixed in with speculation about the coming meeting.      Again, Jake noted the armed soldiers here and there among the crowd.
 
Jimmy Taylor, dressed in street clothes instead of in uniform, followed by his family approached Jake.
 
"Hi, Jake," Jimmy said, looking at the seats beside the Green family, "these seats taken?"
 
"No," Jake said, smiling, "they're all yours."
 
"Funny thing happened this morning, Jake," Jimmy whispered, maintaining his grin.
 
Jake looked sharply at Jimmy.   He pulled his hand out of his pocket and dropped change and car keys on the riser.   He knelt down to pick it up and Jimmy knelt down as if to help him.
 
"What happened," Jake asked, quietly.
 
"Colonel Pierce disbanded the Sheriff's Department.     We had to turn in our uniforms and surrender our badges and guns."
 
Jake looked at him sharply.   Jimmy nodded imperceptibly.
 
"I wanted you to know.   The volunteers will be next.   The military is taking over," Jimmy whispered.    He stood up, handing Jake a handful of change, "There, I think that's got all of it.   Did you find your keys?"
 
"Yeah.   Thanks, Jimmy," Jake said, nodding and smiling, but the smile didn't reach his eyes.   "I'm sure you remember how clumsy lack of sleep makes you."
 
Margaret looked over at Heather and pasted a large smile on her face, "Heather, I have just been awful, not coming to visit.   I have tubs of clothes from when Emily was a baby.    I've been meaning to bring them over but I just haven't had a chance.   How is everything at your house?"
 
Jake looked over at Heather, hoping she understood the need the keep up the friendly chatter.
 
"Everything is great.   We're doing wonderful," Heather said, smiling.   "Thanks for the offer of the hand me downs.   We can so use those!   I don't think the Babys R Us will be back open anytime soon."
 
The whine of mechanical feedback silenced everyone in the stadium.
 
"GOOD AFTERNOON, PEOPLE OF JERICHO.   MY NAME IS COLONEL RICK PIERCE.    I WILL BE CONDUCTING THIS MEETING TODAY.    I'M SORRY BUT AT THIS TIME THERE WILL BE NO OPPORTUNITY TO TAKE QUESTIONS.   PLEASE LISTEN CLOSELY.    JERICHO IS NOW UNDER MARTIAL LAW AND UNDER MY COMMAND.   THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES  WANTS TO HELP YOU GET THIS TOWN BACK ON THE GRID AND GET THE HOSTILITY SETTLED WITH NEW BERN.    IN ORDER TO DO THIS THERE WILL BE A FEW RULES THAT MUST BE FOLLOWED.    YOUR COOPERATION DURING THIS TRANSITION PERIOD IS APPRECIATED.   PLEASE LISTEN CLOSELY.   THERE WILL BE COPIES OF THE NEW TOWN REGULATIONS AVAILABLE AT THE GATES ON THE WAY OUT.
 
Jake looked sharply at Heather and said, "Martial law?   What happened to the Constitution?   Heather, this is wrong.    This isn't the way this is supposed to go."    Jake didn't notice a soldier moving closer to them.
 
THERE WILL BE A CURFEW INSTITUTED IMMEDIATELY.   NO ONE WILL BE ON THE STREETS AFTER 9PM WITHOUT SPECIAL PASS.    THE ONLY PERSONS TO RECEIVE THESE PASSES WILL BE CITY WORKERS AND PEOPLE SCHEDULED TO WORK WITH AN APPROVED WORK SCHEDULE.    YOU WILL BE ABLE TO APPLY FOR THESE PASSES WITH A GOVERNMENT REPRESENTATIVE.
 
LOOTERS AND CURFEW BREAKERS MAY BE SHOT.   
 
THERE WILL BE NO UNACCOMPANIED MINORS UNDER THE AGE OF 13 ALLOWED OUTSIDE OF RESIDENTIAL HOUSING AREAS.  PERIOD.
 
Mad murmurings could be heard through the crowd.    Jake heard the unmistakable sound of safetys being clicked off and watched the soldiers become more wary.    He pulled Jacob closer to him.    Eric started to say something.    Jake noted the soldier beside them suddenly start paying closer attention.   He clamped his hand on Eric's arm and shook his head.
 
THERE WILL BE NO SOCIAL GATHERINGS OF GREATER THAN 5 PEOPLE, OTHER THAN SUNDAY CHURCH SERVICES OR FAMILY GATHERINGS WITH VERIFIABLE FAMILY.   
 
WEAPONS OF ANY SORT ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE STREETS.   THIS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED BY CONFISCATION AND LOCAL JAIL TIME FOR THE FIRST OFFENSE.    FURTHER OFFENSES WILL BE DEALT WITH MUCH MORE HARSHLY.     ADULTS OVER THE AGE OF 21 ARE ALLOWED ONE FIREARM.    ALL OTHER WEAPONS MUST BE TURNED OVER TO THE ARMY.   
 
"There goes the first amendment," Heather said.
 
"And the second," Eric replied.
 
"Don't worry, they'll take out the whole Bill of Rights before this is over," Jake muttered cynically.
 
Loud cries of "unconstitutional" could be heard through the crowd.   
 
The Colonel stopped and scanned the crowd taking note of where his soldiers were stationed.    Orders had been given to listen closely for troublemakers and stand close to them so he could make note of the faces.    When the voices died away, Colonel Pierce continued his speech.
 
ALL PERSONS, AGED 7 AND ABOVE, COMING TO LIVE IN OR AROUND THE JERICHO AREA AFTER 2002 WILL SUBMIT TO AN INTERVIEW WITH A GOVERNMENT REPRESENTATIVE.    A VALID PRE-ATTACK FORM OF  IDENIFICATION IS REQUIRED TO REMAIN IN JERICHO.
 
ALL PERSONS IN JERICHO AND THE SURROUNDING AREA MUST REGISTER WITH A GOVERNMENT REPRESENTATIVE AT THE JERICHO TOWN HALL TO RECEIVE A NEW ID AND RATION CARD.   THESE CARDS WILL BE ISSUED TO EVERYONE NO MATTER WHAT AGE.  EACH HOUSEHOLD WILL BE GIVEN AN APPOINTMENT TIME.   PLEASE BE ON TIME.  WITHOUT THIS ID YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE RATIONS.    EVERYONE IN THE HOUSEHOLD MUST BE PRESENT AT THIS MEETING.   BRING A PERSONAL INVENTORY OF FOOD, FUEL, VEHICLES AND WEAPONS WITH YOU.   A MESSAGE BOARD WITH EVERY FAMILY'S APPOINTMENT TIME IS BEING PLACED AT THE TOWN HALL RIGHT NOW.   PLEASE READ ALL ANNOUNCEMENTS ON THIS BOARD CAREFULLY.   YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING THAT IS THERE.
 
FOOD AND FUEL DISTRIBUTION WILL BE DONE ON MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-AND FRIDAY.    YOUR DAY WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE REPRESENTIVE AT YOUR MEETING.    ANY DISRUPTION OF THE DISTRIBUTION PROCESS WILL RESULT IN THE CANCELLATION  OF DISTRIBUTION. 
 
YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO GROW A GARDEN TO SUPPLEMENT YOUR RATIONS.     75% OF THE FOOD GROWN BY FARMERS MUST BE TURNED OVER TO THE TOWN FOR REDISTRIBUTION THRU THE RATIONING.
 
Jake looked at Heather sharply, "Heather, that's commu...."
 
The soldier snapped to ready with his weapon.
 
Heather firmly grasped Jake's arm and looked at him with wild eyes, "Jake, don't.   Just listen."
 
When Jake sighed and nodded, the soldier relaxed, slightly.
 
AS IT IS SUMMER, HUNTING SEASON IS CLOSED ON ALL GAME EXCEPT FISH.     OFFENDERS WILL BE DEALT WITH HARSHLY.
 
FUEL DISTRIBUTION WILL BE 10 GALLONS PER HOUSEHOLD PER WEEK.    IF YOU ARE A FARMER OR WORKING AT ONE OF THE OUTLYING FARMS YOU MAY APPLY FOR A WORK ALLOWANCE.   THESE WILL BE REVIEWED ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS. 
 
ANY TRAVEL OUTSIDE OF A 15 MILE RADIUS MUST BE APPROVED AND WILL REQUIRE A TRAVEL PERMIT WHICH WILL BE APPROVED BY YOUR GOVERNMENT LIAISON.
 
ELECTRICITY WILL BE SUPPLIED TO TOWN HALL, THE GOVENMENT OFFICES AND THE HOSPITAL ONLY.    MORE AREAS WILL COME ONLINE AS MORE RESOURCES BECOME AVAILABLE.
 
A GOVERNMENT LIAISON WILL BE HERE WITHIN THE WEEK.    LET'S ALL TRY TO BEHAVE AND GET ALONG UNTIL THAT TIME.    THERE WILL BE MORE MEETINGS AT THAT TIME WHERE MORE QUESTIONS WILL ANSWERED.
 
THANK YOU.
 
The  Colonel turned around and walked off the field without a further word.     Jake looked around and saw every soldier at attention with his finger on the trigger of his gun.    'So this is what occupation is like,'  he thought.   
 
Angry voices could be heard all around the field.    People started moving towards the exits.   
 
"Jake?  What was all that?" Heather asked, worriedly, clutching Molly closer to her.   
 
"What does it mean?" Eric asked, looking at Jake.
 
"Yeah, Dad?   It sounded bad," Jacob said.
 
Jake saw a uniformed man look sharply at Jacob.
 
"Hush and move on.  We need to get home," Jake said, putting his hand on Jacob's shoulder and his other arm around Heather's waist.   He firmly pushed them forward.
 
**********     **********     **********     **********
 
Jake walked in to find Johnston in his recliner.
 
"Dad!  You're home!" Jake said, relieved but worried at the same time.   Johnston still looked very pale.
 
Heather, Mary and Eric walked in talking about the new town regulations.  Mary whispered something to Eric and sped off towards the hall bathroom.   When Heather saw Johnston she handed Molly to Eric and ran across the room.   Eric eyes got big.   He obviously had no idea what to do with a squirmy 18 month old.
 
"Dad!!" Heather said, hugging her father in law, "how do you feel?"
 
"Like a Great Dane," Johnston grumped.   "Do you know what they've been treating me with?  Styptic powder and dog medicine."
 
Heather touched his cheek and rubbed his beard, "Well, your coat is nice and shiny so I guess it worked."
 
Gail walked into the living holding a bowl of broth.   
 
"Heather, now do you understand why your son is such a bad patient?" Gail said, pointing at Johnston.  "It's inherited on the Y chromosome in the Green family."
 
"But it skipped a generation with me," Jake said, grinning.
 
"Um hmm," Gail said, giving him a knowing look.
 
"Gail, I don't want any soup.   I've been souped to death."
 
"Hush, Johnston.   You'll eat the soup and you'll enjoy it," Gail said, sitting down beside him.   
 
Molly continued trying to squirm out of Eric's arms.   He looked down at Jacob, "Here," he said, handing her to Jacob.
 
"I don't want her!" Jacob said, reluctantly taking her.     Molly pointed at Johnston.   Jacob glared at her, "You know how to walk, you know."   
 
"Down," Molly said, emphatically.
 
"Fine," Jacob said, letting her slide to the floor.   She ran to Johnston, held her arms out.
 
Jake picked her up and sat her in Johnston's lap.     Molly immediately snuggled against Johnston's chest.
 
Johnston smiled, "That's Grandpa's Baby Girl."
 
"So, Jake," she said, looking at her son while spooning broth into Johnston's mouth, "what was the town meeting about?"
 
**********     **********     **********     **********     
 
Three days passed without incident.   Jake had woke up that morning feeling like maybe there wouldn't be that much of an interference in their lives.   The biggest problem they had had to deal with was getting Molly to eat.    It threw Jake back to the days of trying to get Jacob to eat, only now there was no Frosted Cheerios, chicken nuggets or french fries!    He had been sure he would wake up to find Jacob had turned into a chicken nugget one morning.
 
Jacob walked in the front door.   He had to find his dad.   He looked in the bedroom and living room but didn't see anyone.   Finally, he heard voices from the kitchen.
 
Jake and Heather looked up when Jacob ran into the kitchen.   They had been trying to entice Molly into eating corn and lima beans.
 
"Hey, Buddy," Jake said, smiling.   "Where's Gran and Uncle Eric?"
 
"They're getting out of the truck.   Dad, I need to talk to you."
 
"How was downtown?" Jake asked.
 
"I really need to talk to you," Jacob said.   He looked over at Heather and Molly, "In private, Dad."
 
"What?" Jake asked, distractedly, trying to airplane the beans into Molly's mouth.  But Molly's mouth was clamped shut.
 
"You're making her eat lima beans?  Bleck," Jacob said.
 
Jake looked over at Jacob and rolled his eyes, "Yeah, and it's your lunch too Mr. Bleck."
 
"Jake, she yawned and I popped it in her mouth.   She ate it!" Heather said, excitedly.
 
Jake laughed, "Well alright!  We just have to wait til she shows she's tired of us and then she'll eat."
 
"Dad?"
 
Eric and Gail walked into the kitchen talking.   Gail was obviously upset.
 
"Jacob Green, if you ever hide from me again, I will blister your behind.   Especially now.  What if they had caught you?"
 
"Hide?  What are you talking about?" Jake asked.
 
"Your son ran off as soon as we walked into Town Hall.   I'm trying to get a dispensation for your father's interview and he hides."
 
"Dad? Please," Jacob said, pulling on Jake's shirt.
 
"How's Molly?" Eric asked Heather, smiling at his niece.
 
"She's good.   She finally ate the lima beans," Heather said, laughing.
 
"Jacob, why did you hide from your grandmother," Jake asked, angrily.   "That's about the quickest way I can think of to never leave the house again."
 
"Bleck.  Poor kid," Eric said, making a face.     Jake looked at Eric and shook his head.   It suddenly hit him where his son got the overwhelming pickiness... his Uncle Eric.
 
"Damn it, Dad!! Please listen to me.   I need to talk to you!!" Jacob yelled.
 
Instant silence fell over the kitchen and everyone looked at Jacob.    He blushed a deep crimson.
 
"You have my undivided attention, Jacob," Jake said, quietly.
 
"I need to talk to you," Jacob said, looking around, "in private."
 
"Alright," Jake said, standing up and leading his son into the living room.

"Why did you hide from your grandmother?   And it better be good," Jake said, quietly.

"Dad, I saw her," Jacob said, his eyes big.   "She was talking to Mr. Anderson at Town Hall.   She didn't see me but I saw her."

"Who did you see?" Jake asked, worriedly.

"Sara."

"Sara? Are you sure?" Jake asked, kneeling down in front of Jacob.

"Yes, Dad.   I know it was her.   I couldn't let her see me.   I hid under the stairs until Gran was done and then I stayed where she couldn't see me when we walked out.   Gran was pissed..."

"Don't say pissed.   It ain't nice," Jake said automatically.

"Anyway, Gran was upset.   I was afraid Sara would see me but she was talking to Mr. Anderson and I don't think she did."

"Alright.   Here's what I want you to do.   Go apologize to your grandmother for hiding," Jake held up his hand when Jacob started to protest, "just do it.   I have to figure out what to tell em.    Then, listen, I want you to go up to your room.    Make sure there's nothing in your school bag that doesn't need to be there.  Understand."

Jacob nodded and reluctantly walked towards the kitchen.    Jake dropped his head and closed his eyes.    This was definitely not a good thing.   Sara knew absolutely everything about him and Jacob.   How in the world was he going to tell Heather that her sister was back in town and evidently in charge.

**********     **********     **********     **********

A week later, Jake sat at the kitchen table gathering up the required information. Jacob's and Molly's birth certificates, his California driver's license and Heather's Kansas one. He also had his and Heather's marriage license.
"Okay, I think we have it all," Jake said, "let's get going. God knows we don't want to be late."

"And Mom and Dad  don't have to come, right?" Heather asked.

"As long as nothing's changed since I talked to Gray this morning.  That was one thing he was good for. He got Pierce to agree to send someone here for them since Dad's injured. Being Mayor for 25 years evidently counts for a little bit."

"Jacob, it's time to go," Jake called up the stairs.

He walked into the bedroom and picked up Molly, who was just waking up from her nap. Gail was talking to Jacob when he came out of the bedroom.

"Honey, be polite. If you don't know an answer then just politely say, "I don't know." Being nice is the key here," she said, giving him an impulsive hug.

"Gran, I got it covered. Don't worry bout it. They can't be any worse than Sister Mary."

"Jacob, yes they can. Be careful," Gail said.

"We'll be fine, Mom," Jake said, smiling at her. "Alright, Guys, lets go."

With the streets almost empty they made it to Town Hall very quickly.

They walked into Town Hall to find it completely militarized. Armed soldiers were at all entrances and exits. Security wands were being used on everyone who walked into the building.

Jake and Heather stopped at a desk situated in the exact center of the atrium. Jake handed Molly to Heather and pulled Jacob in front of him.

"Last name?" a uniformed man asked.

"Green," Jake replied curtly.

The man's finger trailed down the page, "We have several Greens on the list. Which would you be?" the man asked.

"The ones with the 2 o'clock appointment," Jake said, sarcastically. 

"Those kinds of answers aren't helpful, Mr. Green," the man said, raising his eyebrows.

Jake started to say something else but Heather placed her hand on his chest and looked at him. They watched each other intently for a few seconds. Jake was the first to drop his eyes.

"We are Johnston Jacob Green, Jr and Heather Green," Heather replied.

"Thank you, Mrs. Green," the man said, pulling a folder out of his inbox. "The children?"

"Johnston Jacob III and Molly Erin."

A second file was pulled.      I bright green bow fell onto the files on the desk.   The attendant picked it up and looked up to see Molly grinning at him.   

"I think this belongs to you," he said, without smiling, holding it out to Heather, who hadn't seen Molly throw the bow down.

She took it, blushing.  "Sorry."    She looked at Molly, pointed at her, trying not to smile, and said, "Don't take your bow out.   It only took me an hour to get it fixed."   Heather had spent an hour painstakingly trying to get the bow to stay in Molly's hair.   The bow matched the green gingham dress Molly wore perfectly and made the outfit.

Molly giggled and said, "Uh oh.  New shoe gone."   Heather saw a small white sandal fall to the desk.

Heather picked it up and said embarrassedly, "I'm sorry."

"Private Davis," the man said, motioning someone over and handing him the files, "please escort the Green family to Mrs. Avery's office.   Immediately!"

"Follow me please," Private Davis said, walking down the hall, trying not to smile.

When they reached what had been the Mayor's office, the Private placed the files in the InBox beside the door, knocked and walked in. He directed them to chairs and left the room, closing the door quietly behind him.

"Jake," Heather said, pleadingly, "please be cooperative. Let's just get through this and be done."

"Heather...." Jake started to say when Molly squealed with laughter.

Jacob had made a fish face at her.

"Molly, is your big brother making faces?" Jake asked, tickling her and grinning at Jacob. Molly collapsed in laughter. Jacob was starting to lose some of the jealousy but it was a slow go. "Hey," Jake said, leaning over and winking at Jacob, "no horsing around when Mrs. Avery comes in though, okay?"

"Sure, Dad," Jacob said, smiling self consciously. He pulled a very old handheld electronic football game that he had found in the basement out of his pocket. He put earbuds in his ears and was quickly lost in the world of electronic blips and beeps.

"Jake, when do you think we'll see Sara? I looked but didn't see her downstairs. It's going to be ugly. I just know it. Of all people to come here," Heather whispered, closing her eyes and shuddering.

Jake leaned over and kissed her on the temple, "Maybe we won't see her at all. We'll get through this meeting and go home and that'll be the end of it."

"Da-ee?" Molly said, patting Jake's cheek. "Down." She started squirming to get down.

"No down," he said, smiling softly. He picked her up out of Heather's lap and walked around the room. "This used to be Grandpa's office. Daddy played here when he was a little boy," he told Molly. Jake stopped at the window and looked down Main Street. There were soldiers, Humvees and Jeeps all up and down the street. The sight of it put fear in the pit of Jake's stomach. He had seen this kind of thing in the Middle East. It was never good for the people of the town.

The door opened.

"Sorry, Folks. I had to take care of something," the woman said, walking to the desk without looking up.

Jake's head jerked around suddenly. He knew that voice. Intimately. Heather's eyes got big. She looked over at Jake and then back to the desk.

Sara finally looked up from the file had been reading. She gasped loudly and tried to cover it with a cough.

"Well, a family reunion. Isn't this nice?" Sara asked in a strained voice, sitting up straighter in her seat.

"Hello, Sara," Jake said, warily.

"Sara," Heather said quietly.

Jacob flicked his eyes up at her and raised his fingers in "Hello" and then went right back to his game.

She pasted a smile on her face that didn't reach her eyes, "Well, Jacob's polite as ever I see."

"I've never had a problem," Heather said, patting his leg.

"Ya know, Sara. This doesn't feel like a family reunion to me. And it definitely doesn't feel friendly," Jake said, turning away from the window. Sara noticed Molly for the first time and looked shocked.

"What exactly is this all about," Heather asked. Jacob scooted his chair closer to Heather's and leaned against her. She smiled at him and laid her hand on his knee.

"This is one of the only safe areas in the whole United States, and we need to keep it that way. We have reason to believe that some of those involved in the attack may even be living in the area. Anyone who's new to the area is naturally of interest. Jake, you showed up in Jericho on the same day the bombs went off. Coincidence? That's all I'm trying to determine," Sara said. She looked up at Jake, "Your job description has always been questionable to say the least. Navy SEAL doesn't cover some of the things I know you were into. I think Command needs to know who they're dealing with here."

Jake looked at her, rolled his eyes and shook his head, "Right."

"This whole thing could be the first stage to a total invasion of our country from a foreign power. Break everything down and then take over. They had to have help getting all the bombs into the country."

"So you think they had inside help? You think I had a part in this?" Jake asked, incredulously, his voice starting to rise. "Am I under arrest for visiting my parents and brother?"

"Jake, calm down," Heather said. Jacob slipped his hand into Heather's and started to bite his bottom lip. Molly reached for her mother and looked as if she could cry at any minute. Jake sat her in Heather's lap, got up and stood behind the chair, clutching the back so hard his knuckles turned white.

Sara continued on as if Heather never spoke, "Of course not but if you wouldn't mind humoring us, we're all understandably curious about anyone new in Jericho."

"NEW? I HAVE LIVED HERE MY WHOLE LIFE," Jake yelled. At this point, Molly started crying. Jake reached over Heather and picked her up, "I'm sorry for yelling, Princess." He patted her back to calm her down at the same time trying to get his anger in check.

"No, Jake, you haven't. You left Jericho for almost six years. In all the time I knew you, not once did you mention visiting your family," Sara said.

"Sara, you lied. You said you were from Boston and you were from New Bern, Kansas! Not high brow enough for you?"

Sara smiled tightly at him, "Jake, I'm not the one on the hot seat here. Maybe you should keep that in mind."

Jacob looked up at Heather, fear in his eyes, "Mama, is Dad gonna go to jail?"

Heather smiled at him and squeezed his hand, "Everything's gonna be okay. Dad hasn't done anything wrong. Sara knows that."

Sara, continuing to ignore Heather and Jacob, stared at Jake.

"You really think I was behind the plan of the largest terrorist attack in history?" Jake said, shaking his head. "Sara, you flatter me."

"Were you behind it, Jake?" Sara asked.

Jake, laughing humorlessly, said, "Yeah. Right."

Sara, returning Jake's laugh, asked, "Would you mind if I asked your wife and son some questions?"

"An interrogation of a pregnant woman and a child, yeah, that's the way to go. You can't intimidate me, so you move on to someone else. What about Molly, Sara? Want to ask her some questions too? She's only 18 months old but I bet you could get really interesting stuff from her."

"It's purely information, Jake. Nothing else."

"Dad? All she says is daddy, down and no," Jacob said, looking at Jake in confusion.

"Hush, Jacob," Jake said, never taking his eyes off of Sara. "Sara can take a little bit of information and run with it."

Sara glared at Jake and turned to face Heather, taking note of Jacob practically sitting in her lap.

"So, Sister....."

Jacob's mouth fell open.

"Thank you, Sara," Jake said, sighing.

Totally ignoring Jake, Sara continued, "Heather, you are relatively new to the area too. From what I can tell, you are very well liked. With all the hostilities with New Bern, I find it odd that no one has brought up that that's where you're from. Maybe they just don't realize it. Yet. But it'll come out. How convenient that you have married into the former Mayor's family. With those connections no one is going to say a word."

"You figured it out, Sara," Jake said, sarcastically, "Jericho's third grade teacher was the mastermind behind the bombs. Wow, now that's great investigative thinking there."

Sara continued to ignore Jake. She leaned forward on her elbows and smiled sweetly at Heather, "So, tell me about this baby you seem to have had since the last time I saw you. I didn't receive a birth announcement."

"You didn't care enough to even come home for Dad's funeral. Why should I have bothered to send you an announcement?"

"She's cute. Who did you try to trap for that one?" Sara asked, obviously trying to make Heather angry.

Heather looked stunned. "No -- no one -- I didn't trap --" she said, looking helplessly at Jake, tears coming to her eyes.

"Me," Jake said, menacingly, while walking around the desk. "I will thank you to talk kindly to my wife or don't talk to her at all." He bounced Molly slightly when he walked around the chair. She giggled, squealed "Da-ee" and threw her arms around his neck.

"Sara, stop being mean to my mama!" Jacob said, standing up and moving in front of Heather.

"That's Mrs. Avery to you, Jacob," she said, smiling coldly. "Sit down. I'll ask you a few questions now. Tell me about coming here. Have you liked living here? Have you and your dad made any interesting new friends? Is he away from home a lot?"

"Sara," Jake said, warningly.

"Jake, my objective is to protect the people of Jericho," Sara said, sickeningly sweet. "I'm only asking for cooperation and patience so I can vouch for you."

"Since when did a resident of Kansas need someone to vouch for them, Sara? Is this the United States or Soviet Russia?"

Heather placed her hand on Jake's arm and took Molly back from him. She looked at him silently for a minute then said, "Jake, in the name of cooperation we can overlook the violation of our civil rights. For the sake of our children, Jake, for the sake of our children."

Sara looked at Heather, coolly appraising her, and smiled, "Why don't you listen to your wife, Jake. It might do you and your family some good." Sara looked down at the file in front of her and started turning papers over. She pulled out Molly's birth certificate. Jake and Heather looked at each other. This would be the first test of Hawkins' work.

"Ah, Tommy Christopher is the father. I would never have guessed that. I could have sworn he was gay. At least it wasn't that Ted Lewis or worse, Russell. Their genes pools aren't deep enough to get your toes wet. At least you chose someone with intelligence.....if not taste."

"It doesn't matter who her father is, Jake Green is her dad! This town drafted my husband into training their Rangers. He patrols all the time. And now he's suspected of being a terrorist. I don't understand, Sara," Heather said.

"This is unpleasant for all of us, Heather," Sara said. "No one is suspecting anything. We just want to know who's in Jericho."

"Sara you know the answers to all the questions you're asking. It's all there in the file. Stop being a bitch and get on with it. I'm a SEAL. Not what you suspected, but could never dig deep enough to find." Sara inhaled sharply. Jake smiled coldly, "Yeah, I knew about your visits to the Navy Database. I was investigating for the Navy. They got wind of what was going on and wanted me to investigate to see if the stuff was coming in by boat."

"Why didn't you tell me, Jake," Sara asked.

"I never really knew you, Sara. You don't let people get close enough for that. I didn't know if I could trust you," Jake said, leaning on her desk so that they were almost nose to nose, continuing in a quiet, menacing voice, "Truth is, Sara, all you ever were was a sure, steady lay. You weren't even that good." Jake smiled coldly at her. "I hope your new husband likes a cold fish. The terrorist trail went cold right here in Kansas. The government I worked for doesn't exist anymore. I've retired. I'm just trying to be a good husband and father now." Jake continued smiling as he sat down facing her.

Sara looked down at her desk and suddenly found that her papers needed to be straightened., "Well, um, I think that we have everything we need here in the file. Copies of the all the pertinent papers are there. I don't see any problems," Sara said, obviously embarrassed. She took a form out of her desk, quickly filled it in and handed it to Heather. "Go to room three and get your ration cards." Heather glanced down at the papers and bit her bottom lip.

Sara quickly gathered up her files and started towards the door. She stopped, turned around and looked at Heather, "You know, I volunteered for this assignment because I was worried about you, Heather. You may not believe that but it's true," Sara glanced over at Jake, "And, now I see that I was right to be worried. Don't expect much from Jake. He doesn't have the parenting skills of a dog and he will always pick those kids over you. Count on it." She walked out of the room and shut the door.

Jake looked over at Heather. She was pale and seemed stunned. Jake looked at Jacob, "Take your sister over to the window. I need to talk to Heather."

"But...." Jacob started.

"NOW, Jacob," Jake said, sharply.

Jacob knew that tone. He heard it infrequently but when he did he obeyed instantly.

When the kids were on the other side of the room, Jake hugged Heather. "Babe, I'm sorry. I know that was ugly. Please understand. It was just going to get worse. She knew which buttons to push. I had to shut her down before she hurt you or the kids. That's the only way I knew to do it. Please tell me you're okay, we're okay," Jake said, starting to get scared. Heather still hadn't said a word, she was looking at the paper in her hand.

"I'm fi...." Heather started. She cleared her throat. "I'm fine, Jake. I'm not angry," Heather said, tears suddenly filling her eyes. "It's been a long time since I had to deal with Sara's bitchiness. I forgot how mean she fights. Why does she have to take it out on innocent children though," Heather said, her voice breaking. She held out the form for Jake to look at. Listed were Johnston Jacob Green, Jr, Heather Lisinski Green, Johnston Jacob Green, III and Molly Lisinski. "Why couldn't she just leave it Molly Green?"

"We'll figure out a way to get it changed, Heather," Jake said.

Heather felt an overwhelming wave of nausea and sprinted for the office door with her hand over her mouth. Jake gathered up the kids and was waiting for her outside the restroom door. When she came out the door he put his arms around her and hugged her tightly. No one caught the angry look that passed over Sara's face as she walked the Taylor family down the hall towards her office.

Heather pulled away and chuckled half heartedly, "Well, I guess that nagging fear that you still had feelings for Sara can be laid to rest now."

Jake smiled and touched his forehead to hers. "Yeah, I think so," he said, stroking her cheek. "I love you, Heather Green."  He set Molly down beside Jacob.   Jacob took a deep breath and reluctantly took her hand so she wouldn't walk away.   Jake cupped Heather's cheek in his hand and softly kissed her.

"Ewwww, gross," Jacob said, pretending to gag.   

Molly looked up at Jacob, grinned and said, "Eww, goss."  She put her hand over her mouth and coughed in an effort to imitate her brother.     Jacob shook his head and rolled his eyes.

Jake and Heather both laughed.   She bent down and picked Molly up, put her arm around Jacob's shoulders and kissed him on top of the head.   Jake led them towards Room 3 to pick up their ration cards.

**********     **********     **********     **********

Later that afternoon, Eric came over with a truck full of wood.   Jake sent Jacob out to help.   Molly was taking an unexpected nap.   He needed to talk to his parents without interruption.

When he was sure Jacob was busy, he walked into the living room, where Johnston had been staying since his release from the hospital.   

"Hi, Jake," Johnston said, looking up from a Suduko puzzle book.  "Your wife has gotten me addicted to these damn things."

"She loves puzzles," Jake said, smiling.   "Do you feel up to a serious conversation?"

Johnston laid the book on the coffee table, "Of course.   What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong.   It's time for a little true confessions.   There are some things you might need to know when."

"Alright, whenever you're ready."

Jake walked to the kitchen and motioned Heather and Gail to the living room.   

"What?" Gail asked, scared.

"I need to tell you a few things.   I want you to know everything, just in case it were to come up in your interview."

Gail and Heather sat down side by side on the love seat.   Jake was faced with three sets of expectant eyes.

He took a deep breath and dove in, "I've already told Heather this stuff but I want you and Mom to know," Jake said, looking at his father.    "When I went to Embry Riddle I was approached by the government.    I wasn't just being a slacker the years I was gone.   I've been in the Navy and trained as a SEAL.   I joined a small off the books team that got me lots of perks in exchange for lots of work.   I have been all over the world doing work for the government.   I spent a lot of time away from Jacob, which is why I had a nanny.   If you're asked about me, that's what I've been doing.   Hopefully, it won't come up but I don't think we'll be that lucky."

"Oh, Jake, that's so dangerous.   What if something had happened to you?" Gail asked.    "What about Jacob?  What would have happened to him?"

"That was all taken care of.  He would have come here.  Surprise," he said, smiling at his mother.   "But just so you know, the closest I've come to getting killed is right here in good old Jericho just a few days ago."

Johnston sat up straighter on the couch.   He was beaming with pride but trying not to show it.   "It had to be the Navy, huh.   You just couldn't join the Army," he said, grinning from ear to ear.

"Well, Dad, I wanted to fly jets.   Priorities you know," Jake said, relieved.

Heather took a deep breath and looked at Jake, "Mom, Dad, there's a little more.   Did you know I have a sister?"

"No.   I don't think you've ever mentioned her," Gail said, looking at Heather expectantly.

"Her name is Sara.   We've been estranged for a long time.   A very long time.   It turns out she is working for the new Cheyenne government.   She's our representative."

"Oh, that's nice, Honey," Gail said.   "You must be so excited."

"Well, there's the weirdest coincidence," Heather said, wringing her hands.

Johnston looked over at her, he felt like something big was about to drop.

"She and Jake used to work together.   They disagreed over a few things and don't really get along now," Heather said, looking at Jake.   Heather looked down and took a Kleenex out of her pocket and started to slowly shred it.

"What else, Heather, Jake?" Johnston asked.

Heather looked back at Jake and started to bite her lip.

"Dad," Jake said, "I didn't just work with Sara.   I lived with Sara."

"What???!!!!"  Gail exclaimed.

"Yeah," Jake said, quietly, looking at the floor.

"You lived with a woman, unmarried, in front of your son?" Gail continued, angrily.

"Yes," Jake said, nodding.

"Of all the....." Gail started.

"He doesn't talk about her much.   I think I've heard him mention her two maybe three times.    I'm assuming they didn't have much of a relationship.   He spent a good bit of time with that Kate person, right?" Johnston asked.

"No, Sara wasn't interested in children.    She didn't want to be a mother.    She was there if I was.   When I was away with my job she was at her own apartment.    We broke up before Jacob and I left San Diego.    Heather and I have talked about this.    We're over it.   We're past it.   She's not a part of our lives.    But since she'll more than likely come here to do your interview, we thought you might need to know that."

Heather looked at Gail and took her hand, "Really, it's alright.   Jake and I talked about this before we got married.   He was completely honest.   Sara isn't a part of anything.  She's just a person."

"Alright, Honey, as long as you're not hurt," Gail said, hugging her daughter in law.

"Mom, really, it's not that big a deal," Heather said, pulling away.   "We didn't say anything before because we didn't think it mattered.   She was gone and not coming back.   We thought she was dead.     This isn't embarrassing.   It's just awkward."

Jake walked over and sat down on the arm of loveseat.   Heather leaned back against him.    "I don't think, after our discussion today, she'll mention anything.   I think I pretty much shut her down," Jake said, looking at his father.

Heather reached up and took Jake's hand. "I used to think that Sara was so smart," she said, smiling to herself.   "She got a full scholarship to Harvard based on her grades.   She graduated from Harvard Law School.  I graduated from KU.   But she doesn't seem smart to me anymore.     She was too book smart to see or care what she had in Jake and Jacob.    She was always looking for the next best thing.     She didn't even come home for our father's funeral.    She had a tea to go to.   Much more important.    To be honest, that was the last straw.   After that, I didn't feel like I had a sister anymore.   She's burned her bridges.    As far as I'm concerned my family is right here," Heather said, leaning over and hugging Gail.   

"We love you too, Heather," Johnston said, taking Heather's hand and squeezing it.   He grinned at her. "There's nothing wrong with KU, young lady.    Almost everyone in this room graduated from there," he said, winking at Jake.   "It's a good school."    He settled himself back on the couch and looked from Jake to Heather.   "I'm glad you told us.   It won't go out of this room.  If she comes here to do the interview, at least we know.  Forewarned is forearmed."
**********     **********     **********     **********

Out in the driveway, Eric and Jacob were working hard  unloading wood from the back of Eric's truck.     

"How was the meeting?" Eric asked, filling Jacob's arms with logs.

Jacob shrugged, "Okay, I guess.   Dad got mad."

Eric picked up another log and put it in Jacob's arms, "Is that too big?"

"Naa, I'm strong," Jacob said, puffing out his chest.

"Your dad definitely has a temper.    He's like your grandpa," Eric said, smiling at his nephew.   He put his hand on Jacob's shoulder, "But don't tell him I said that, your dad or your grandpa."

Jacob laughed, "I won't.   Promise."

Eric continued stacking the wood against the fence.  "Hey, what did Jake get mad about?"

"I don't know," he said, sweeping out the back of Eric's truck, "but he was pissed."

"Your dad lets you talk like that?" Eric said, trying not to smile.

Jacob looked over his shoulder, "Uh, no.   Don't tell."

"You keep my secret, I'll keep yours.   Deal?" Eric said.

"Deal," Jacob said, continuing to sweep out the truck.    "Hey, Uncle Eric?   I have a question."

"Shoot,"Eric said, putting the last log on the pile.

"What's a lay?"

Eric looked up at Jacob, "A what?"

"A lay.   I heard Dad say someone was a sure, steady lay.   What is that?" Jacob said, leaning on the broom, looking expectantly at his uncle.

"You overheard that, huh?   Well, um...it's um..." Eric stammered.

"Eric, Jacob?  Come on in.  Dinner's ready," Gail yelled out the back door.

"It's something that your grandmother would be much better at answering than me," Eric said, relieved at the interruption.

Jacob frowned, sighed and jumped out of the truck, "Okay.   I'll ask her then."

Eric and Jacob walked in the back door.    Gail saw how dirty Jacob's arms and hands were.   She looked Jacob and pointed to the sink, "Scrub."   She looked at Eric, "I'm assuming I don't need to supervise your hand washing anymore so you can have the bathroom."

After Eric left the room, Jacob went to the sink and started scrubbing sap and dirt from his arms and hands.   "Gran?  I have a question."

"What is it, Sweetheart?" Gail said absently, stirring the pot on the camp stove.

"What's a lay?"

"What?" she said, turning to look at Jacob.

"What's a lay?   Dad said that today.   He said someone was a lay.   What is that?" Jacob said, turning and dripping soapy water all over the floor.

Gail turned instantly red.   "Your father said that in front of you?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"JOHNSTON JACOB GREEN, JR!" Gail yelled in her best mother voice.   "COME HERE RIGHT NOW, MISTER!"

**********     **********     **********     **********     **********

Thanks for reading my story!!   Feedback is always welcome and appreciated!!

Chapter 23: A Lazy Summer Day by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.    I am borrowing them for a while and I promise to give them back.

Special thanks to Marzee and Nightsky.    They are great to work with.   

I promise....this one is much much shorter than the last one!!   Smiley Smiley Smiley
 
**********     **********     **********     **********

A LAZY SUMMER DAY

'Summer in Jericho is hot.....not just hot but nasty humid hot.   Summer in Jericho when one's six months pregnant without an air conditioner in the house is almost unbearable,' Heather thought.   She fanned herself the with hem of her shirt, 'No almost about it... it's totally unbearable.'

Heather was going through one of many boxes of baby clothes that Margaret Taylor had brought over.    Jimmy had also dropped off a crib, bassinet and playpen.    She was sitting on the floor because it was cooler but she wasn't sure she was going to be able to get back up.   She was feeling more and more like a turtle stuck on its back these days.    Molly had discovered a bin of toys and was slowly and methodically emptying it, talking to every toy before putting it in the floor.

Jacob came in the front door, running.    He stopped and looked around.

"Whatcha doin'?   Where'd all this stuff come from?" he asked

"Mr. Taylor brought it earlier.    It's for our baby.    Where's Jake?"

"He had to go see Uncle Eric.   He said he'd be back in a little while.   Can I look too?"

"Sure.   You can help if you want to.   I'm trying to get the girl stuff separated from the boy stuff."

"Okay!" Jacob said sitting down across from Heather.   

Heather smiled at Jacob, "Ok, Sweetie," she said, pointing at the individual piles as she talked, "this is the girl pile, this is the boy pile and this is the green,yellow, white pile.    Now if its a dress or obviously girl or boy then put it in the boy or girl pile.   Got it."

"Got it," Jacob said digging into a box.

"What did you guys do today?" Heather asked.

"We worked out at the ranch and at Uncle Stanley's house.    We took pipes and put 'em together like little houses and wrapped plastic around 'em.   Dad said they're like greenhouses to help seeds grow.   Dad and Grandpa and Uncle Stanley's gonna build a big one tomorrow.    Guess what, Uncle Stanley let me drive the tractor!"

"Drive the tractor?  Now that sounds like fun," she enjoyed seeing Jacob excited about something.    He was having a hard time this summer, having to stick close to home and adults, and his getting excited about something was a rarity.

Several minutes later Jacob looked up at Heather, "Is the baby a boy or a girl?"

"We won't know until it's born.   You used to be able to tell with a machine but there isn't one of those at the clinic.    It'll be a surprise."

"What do you want it to be?" Jacob asked quietly.

"Hmmm....it doesn't really matter to me as long as he or she is healthy.   What do you want?   A brother or a sister?"

Jacob shrugged, "It doesn't matter.     Why does everyone else want it to be a girl?  You got Molly," Jacob said, looking over at his baby sister, who was building towers out of blocks.    "What's so good about another girl?    What's wrong with boys?   Are they not as good as girls?"

Heather chuckled and smiled at him, "Nothing's wrong with boys, Honey.   But, not everyone is set on a girl.     Your dad really wants another little boy.  Did you know that there hasn't been a little girl born in this family in almost 100 years?   Every baby has been a boy.     I think everyone is just wanting to see if it continues.     Green boys must be pretty special if God only wants them to be boys."

"I guess so.     Did I wear clothes like this when I was a baby?" he asked, picking up a blue gown.

"Probably.   Most babies wear either gowns or sleepers.   They don't need a lot of clothes in the beginning because they just sleep.   Hasn't Jake ever told you about when you were a baby?"

"Dad doesn't talk about when I was a baby.  Ever," Jacob said, quietly.    He looked at Heather, his voice dropping even more, "Mama, do you think I was a bad baby?"

"Of course not," Heather said, scooting over and giving him a hug, something he normally wouldn't accept during the day when someone might see, "no baby is bad.   I think that's just something men don't talk about.   If you asked him, I bet he'd tell you anything you want to know."

Neither Jacob or Heather had noticed that Jake had come in the front door.    He had heard the entire conversation.   'Damn Becca,' he thought, 'there's no way I can talk about that without bringing her into it.'   He backed away, pushed the screen door open and let it slam.    He watched Jacob jerk away from Heather.

"Hi, Guys," Jake said, trying to sound casual.   "What's all this stuff?"

"Da-ee," Molly squealed, running to Jake, who bent down and picked her up.

"Woody's mom sent all kinds of stuff for Heather's baby.   I'm helping her put clothes in piles."

Jake squatted beside Jacob, "Son, it's not "Heather's baby".   It's our baby.   Yours, Molly's, mine and mom's."

"Yeah, that's what I meant," he said, smiling up at Jake.
   
Jake ruffled his hair.  "Is anyone up for doing this later?   Stanley's having a "It's hot as Hades" party out at the swimming hole.   I thought we might go swimming.   Maybe get cooled off for awhile."

"That'll be a nice change!" Heather said, smiling.

Jacob jumped up, "Let's go."

Jake laughed, "We need to clean up this stuff or your grandmother will have a fit."

**********     **********     **********

Jacob walked up the desk at the clinic.   Becca Lawson was the only one there.

"How may I help you," she said, looking up.   When she saw who it was she stopped.

"Hello, Jacob.   Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, everthing's fine.    Is my grandmother still here?   How'd you know my name?"

"Yes, Mrs. Green's still here.   Your grandmother talks about you a lot.   That's how I know your name."     Becca turned around and motioned for another nurse, "Would you find Mrs. Green?   Tell her that her grandson's here."

"Do you have any little boys?" Jacob asked.

"I used to but he lives with his dad now.   I have three little girls.   They're five, three and two."

"What's your little boy's name?"

"Jacob, just like yours.    That's another reason I remembered your name."

"Oh.   You still have a little boy though, right?   He just lives with his dad."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," she said, reaching out to touch his cheek, "but his dad won't....."

"Mrs. Lawson, I'll take over here.    Why don't you see if the doctor needs any help," Gail said, sharply.

Becca snatched her hand back, glared at Gail and slowly walked away.

"Why're you here, Jacob?  Is Heather alright?" Gail asked.

"Everthing's fine.   Dad and Molly and Heather're in the car.   They said to tell you that we're going to Uncle Stanley's.  He's havin' a party.   We're all gonna go swimmin' at the creek.    You and Grandpa are supposed to meet us there.   Okay?"

Gail put her hand over Jacob's mouth and looked around, making sure the soldier posted outside the doors of the ER hadn't overhead Jacob, and walked him away from the desk.

"That sounds like a lot of fun but you can't just blurt that out.    Somebody might be listening," Gail said, looking around the waiting room again.   "Grandpa's going to pick me up as soon as he gets done at the ranch and then we'll come out to Stanley's," Gail continued quietly while leading him outside when she saw Becca come back into the room.

**********     **********     **********

Jake got out of the car grinning, seeing Stanley and Mimi sitting in rocking chairs on the front porch, shelling peas.    He pulled the driver's seat forward so Jacob could get out and he could get Molly out of her car seat.

"Well, if it ain't Maw and Paw Richmond rockin' away.     All settled like now that they're properly married."

Jake walked around to the passenger door and helped Heather out of the car.

Stanley laughed, "Yeah, right, and there ain't nothin' domesticated about bad boy Jake Green these days, either."

Jacob dodged around Stanley and ran up the steps for the football that was now kept on the front porch, just for him.

"Hi, Miss Clark," he yelled, running past her.   He pulled up short, "I'm sorry, I mean Mrs. Richmond."

"That's alright.   I'll admit it's a mouthful.   How about just Mimi?"

"You're a grown up.   That's rude.   How about Mrs. Mimi?"

"But that makes me sound old.   How about Aunt Mimi?"

Jacob smiled, "Deal."  And took off for the football again.

"Uncle Stanley, catch!" Jacob yelled, throwing a perfect pass.

Jake and Heather walked up on the front porch and settled themselves and Molly in the porch swing.

Jake smiled watching Stanley teach Jacob the secrets of the perfect pass.

"You know, Mimi," Jake said, "you need to get him one of those."

"A football?" Mimi asked, raising her eyebrows. "He has at least three.   He doesn't need another one on the porch for me to trip over."

"No.   A little boy.   It's high time," Jake said, winking and trying not to laugh.

He ducked when Mimi threw a handful of pea pods at him.

Johnston and Gail pulled up.    Brody jumped out of the backseat of the truck.   "We picked up a hitchhiker on the way.   Thought Jacob might get bored with just grown ups for company so we brought him along," Johnston said.

"Brody, catch," Jacob yelled, throwing a perfect pass.

Stanley left the boys playing with the football and joined the adults on the porch.

"Dad?!  Hawaiian baggies and flip flops?" Jake said laughing and shaking his head.

"And just what's wrong with that?  I'm not going to sacrifice a perfectly good pair of jeans,"  Johnston said, eyeing Jake's cut-offs.

"We about ready?" Gail asked, sitting in the remaining rocker. 

"I think so," Stanley said, "I put the pig in the ground early this morning so it should be perfect.    Bonnie and Mimi took care of the rest of it.    Let's go."

"Why don't we ride in the truck.   It'd be a long walk for the girls," Johnston said.  He held his hands out to Molly, who grinned and practically jumped for him.   "You, Little Miss, can help Grandpa drive."

They got everything loaded in the bed of the truck and 10 minutes later were at the swimming hole.

Bonnie was already there, laying out in the sun.

Brody and Jacob jumped out of the bed of the truck and started running for the  creek.

"Boys!  Stop until someone's with you," Gail yelled.

They stopped and looked back expectantly, "Come on, Somebody?!" Jacob said, dancing from one foot to the other.

Johnston laughed.  "I'll go," he said, handing Molly to Gail.

"He's as bad as they are," Gail said, shaking her head, "I'm not so sure that's adequate supervision."

Heather laughed, "Aw, he's a good grandpa."

Heather smiled at Bonnie and waved.   "Hi!  You're out here all by yourself?" she asked looking around.  "Sean's not here?"

"No, he's not," Bonnie said, very matter of factly.

Stanley grinned at Heather, when Bonnie wasn't looking, "They had a little disagreement.   We're all really broke up about it."

Heather nodded and smiled, "I can tell."

Heather and Gail turned when they heard the boys start arguing.

"I get to go first."

"No, I do."

Johnston stepped between them and smiled, "I'll settle this.   I'm the oldest.  I get to go first."

They watched him climb a ladder nailed to the side of a very large tree, scoot along a large branch and drop down a rope to a large tire.   He stood up and started it swinging back and forth.   When he had it arching high, he suddenly screamed "CANNONBALL!" and jumped making a large splash in the middle of the swimming hold.   He surfaced and swam over to a wooden platform and pulled himself up.

He glanced at Gail, who was looking at him with raised eyebrows, and grinned, "That water is really cold."

"Johnston Green, you're not 10 years old.   You could have broken your neck.   What if those boys try that when no one is around.   No more rope jumping today.   That's what the platform is for," Gail said, picking up the blanket and spreading it on the ground.   "That goes for everyone, you two, too!", she said, pointing at Jacob and Brody.

"Yes, Dear," Johnston, smiling indulgently and winking at the boys when Gail turned her back to put a pair of bright pink floaties on Molly's arms.

Jacob and Brody sighed, looked at Gail and said, dejectedly, "Okay."

Gail smiled at her granddaughter, who was wearing a toddler sized neon purple ruffled bikini and pink sandals that matched the floaties perfectly.   "Heather, where in the world did you find this outfit.    It's absolutely precious."

"It was in the clothes Margaret sent.   You wouldn't believe all the cute stuff she gave us."

Jake had slipped quietly behind Jacob.   He scooped him up suddenly and threw him in the water making a perfect belly buster.   He jumped in after him, laughing.

Jacob surfaced, "OW!"

Brody stood on the bank laughing and pointing.   Stanley grabbed him and threw him in.

Heather stood up and put her hands on her hips, "Okay, quit terrorizing the children."

Jake climbed out and walked towards her, dripping, "What was that Mrs. Green?"

"You're wet!!  Don't come over here!" Heather said, laughing and holding her hand up.

He laced his fingers with hers, pulled her against him and kissed the tip of her nose, "The water feels great.   Come in?"

Molly stood beside him, pulling on his shorts.   "Da-ee, up," she said, holding her arms up.

Jake bent and kissed the top of Molly's head, "Not now, Princess, I'm wet."

"In the water? Are you crazy?   I don't have a swim suit and I refuse to sit here in wet clothes for the next several hours," she laughed, pushing him away.  "Go play.  You're getting me wet."

Stanley made the mistake of losing track of Jacob and Brody.   Johnston watched while Jacob got down on all fours behind him and Brody started slowly walking towards him.   Stanley saw him coming towards him with a devilish grin and pointed at him, "Brody, don't even think about it."

"Think about what, Mr. Stanley?"

Stanley stepped back, tripped over Jacob and fell in.

Johnston slapped his leg, "Good, Brody!  I think that takes care of everyone who was supposed to get wet."

They heard a vehicle door slam.   Eric and Mary walked into the clearing.    Eric kicked off his shoes, stripped off his shirt and started for the tree.

"Eric," Jake taunted from the water, "Mom said we couldn't do that.   It's too dangerous."

"Right.   Jake, I'm a big boy.   I can do what I want to," Eric said.

"Mom!", "Gran!", "Mrs. Green!", "Gail" all at once with 5 fingers pointing at Eric, "Eric's going up the tree!"

"Eric Green!   The tree is off limits," Gail said, in her best mother voice.

Eric stopped and looked at five smiling faces in the water, "Tattletales."  He jumped in, splashing everyone in the water.

Mimi and Mary walked over to the bank and watched the splashing and roughhousing and looked at each other.   There was no way they were getting in with all that going on.    "Okay, everybody out.   We want to go for a swim and we don't want to get splashed and get nasty creek water in our hair," Mimi said.

"But your gonna get nasty creek water everwhere else.   Why do we have to get out?" Brody complained.

"The longer you argue the longer we're going to stay in," Mary said, crossing her arms.

"Just do it," Jacob said.   

They all got out and stood on the bank complaining about how long it was taking for them to get their swim in.

The horseplay finally over, the party settled into swimming, splashing and family talking and laughing.   Stanley had found a tiny plastic wading pool in the attic of the barn.    Bonnie had filled it water water early in the day so it was nice and warm.    She and Molly were splashing.   Mary, Gail and Mimi were discussing the merits of different kinds of knitting yarn.   

Heather got up, unable to concentrate on her novel anymore,walked to the platform and pointed at the six males in the water, "Okay, I'm going to sit on this deck and put my feet in the water.    I'm pregnant, I'm hot and I want to cool off.   If anyone splashes me I might have to drown him."   She looked specifically at her two males, "Jake, Jacob, be warned, that includes both of you."

Heather slowly sat down and put her feet in the water.    She closed her eyes, put her head back and enjoyed the cool water.    She didn't see the conference in the water or the evil smile play across Jacob's face.    He silently swam to the bank on the other side of the tree and got out.    He crept to the side of the platform and took off running.    Gail, Bonnie, Mimi and Mary didn't see until it was too late.   The all screamed "HEATHER!" at the same time but it was too late.   The word "CANNONBALL" filled the air.   

He surfaced, laughing.   Heather was drenched.   She sat there shocked and speechless.   Suddenly she started laughing.   "I guess I asked for that.   But, you have to get out of the water sometime, Jacob."  She smiled innocently and giggled to herself.

Jacob looked at Heather and then pointed at Jake and Johnston, "They made me do it."

"Hush, Boy," Jake said, laughing and dunking Jacob.

Stanley swam to the platform.   He looked at Heather and held up his hands in surrender, "I'm just getting out.   I promise.    I need to check on the food."

Jake swam over to Heather.   She looked at him suspiciously.   

"I won't splash.   I promise," Jake said, smiling.   He propped one arm on the deck and started rubbing Heather's legs and feet.   "You feelin' okay?  Coolin' off?"

"I'm good.    I would never tell him but that splash felt really good," she said, laughing.   "Peanut's wild," she said, laying her hand on her stomach, "he or she liked cooling off too."

Jake put his hand beside Heather's and felt the baby moving, "He likes swimming."

"She likes cooling off," Heather said, smiling.

"Hey, food's ready!" Stanley bellowed.

Jake climbed out of the swimming hole and held out his hand for Heather.    She gladly accepted it.

"Having this illegal assembly makes me feel like a teenage Jake Green," Stanley said, smiling.   "I don' think I've ever done anything illegal before."

Jake smirked at him and shook his head. "It ain't all it's cracked up to be, believe me."

"Besides," Johnston said, "we're all family here and it's all confirmable.    Stanley's great-great-grandmother was my great-great-grandmother's sister.   That makes us cousins."

"What about me?!" Brody asked.

"You're Jacob's long lost twin," Johnston said, smiling.

"Seriously, Dad," Eric said, "do you think we have anything to worry about?   Do they patrol out this far?    Should we stagger our leaving times so they don't get suspicious?"

Gail saw Brody and Jacob looking at each other with big eyes.  She cleared her throat,  patted Johnston's back and cut her eyes to the boys, "Little pitchers....."

Johnston nodded slightly, "Nope.   Everything is perfectly fine.   We're having a family cookout and that's all."

Stanley placed heaped plates of steaming meat, roasted potatoes and roasted corn on the long table that had been beside the swimming hole for years.    The women migrated to one end and the men the other.    Jacob and Brody took the middle.   Molly stood on the bench between Jake and Johnston, being fed off of both their plates, Jake's arm wrapped around her waist.

"Dad?" Jacob asked, through a very full mouth.   "What did you do when you was a teenager that was illegal?   Did you get 'rrested?"

Brody, looking disgusted, flicked at bit of food off his arm, "Gross, Jacob, say it, don't spray it."

Jake, looking distinctly uncomfortable, replied, "Don't talk with your mouth full."     He kicked Stanley under the table.    Stanley ducked his head, looking guilty.

"So, Heather, do you have any idea what the baby is?" Mary asked, trying to change the subject.    She got a very grateful look from Jake.

"Well, that depends on who you ask," Heather said, laughing.    "I looked at the Chinese Baby Chart thingy.   It's supposed to be this chart that is never wrong.    You take your age and the month you got pregnant and it predicts the sex.   It says the baby is a boy.    Mrs. Campbell, next door, says that I am carrying the baby high and all in front, that means it's a girl.     Gail says that if the baby's heart rate is usually below 140 it's a boy and if it's usually above 150 it's a girl.   This baby is always in the 140's.   Now, Mrs. Kent says that since my wedding ring moved in a circle instead swinging back and forth, it's a boy.     And Mrs. Moore says that since I showed her my hands palm up, it's a girl.    Margaret Taylor says I need to pee into a cup that has Drano in it.   Something about the color the stuff turns predicts boy or girl.     I say all that to say, I have no idea.    I refuse to pee onto Drano for the final prediction.   We'll find out when the baby is born!"

Everyone laughed.   

"Of course, there hasn't been a girl baby born into the Green family in over a hundred years," Gail said.

"And, that's why I'm betting on a boy," Heather said.

"But she's thinking girl thoughts," Johnston yelled from the other end of the table, spooning a bite of roasted potato into Molly's mouth.   

Heather laughed, "I make sure to look at something pink for at least 10 minutes every day, Dad, just for you."

"I read an article in Cosmo," Stanley said, mouth full, stabbing his fork in the air while talking , "it all depends on timing and position."

All conversation stopped and everyone looked at Stanley.    Jake's fork stopped half way to Molly's mouth leaving her leaning forward trying to get a bite of meat.

"What?" Stanley said, "it was either Cosmo or Ranger Rick and I had already looked at all those.   For some reason the dentist hasn't gotten any new magazines lately."

"Bite!" Molly screamed, trying to grab the fork.   Jake quickly gave her the bite.   He grinned at Stanley and started shaking his head in disbelief.

"Well we're not going to be discussing that!" Heather said, blushing bright red.

"STANLEY RICHMOND!" Gail yelled, looking apoplectic, "not in front of the
B-O-Y-S!"

Jacob and Brody looked at each other and burst out laughing.    They got up and started towards the swimming hole, continuing to laugh.

"Jacob, Brody, no swimming for at least 30 minutes," Gail yelled after them.   "That's not a request.   Understand?"

"Aw, Gran.   That's stupid.   I ain't never drowned yet."

"Don't argue with me," she said, giving her best "mother" look.

"Oh, alright," Jacob said, sighing.   He grabbed the football and took off with Brody in hot pursuit.

Eric, still uncomfortable when the topic turned to babies, got up, "I'll watch the boys."

Mimi, trying to ignore Stanley's Cosmo talk, looked at Heather, "Have you thought of any names?"

Gail picked Molly up and looked at Heather, "She's really wet.  Where's the diaper bag?"

"In the truck," Jake answered, through a mouth full of peach pie.

"We haven't agreed on anything yet.   We've kicked around Michael, Jonathan and Daniel for a boy but can't agree on anything for a girl," Heather said.     Jake slowly slid down the bench until he was beside her.

"That's because it's a boy," Jake laughed, kissing the side of her neck and stealing a bite of her pie.   

"Hey, you can't steal a pregnant woman's sweets.   Go on, go play," she said, smiling and shooing him away with her hand.

"You would deny your loving husband the last bite of pie?" he said, in mock shock....all the time trying to reach around her for the last bite.

"Yes," she laughed, smacking his hand, "now go away."

The women continued to talk baby stuff as dusk fell.

Jake saw Jacob standing on the deck looking up that the tire.   He walked out onto the dock.

"It's fun.   One day, when Gran and Mom's not with us, I'll show you how to use it.   Hey, all this baby stuff is taking over.   You have anything you want to talk about?"

"Naa," Jacob said, looking around and seeing people nearby.   "Not now.   Dad, did you ever play football?"

"Nope.   I played baseball and soccer.   Stanley and your grandpa are the football players in the family."

The talk turned to sports.

The mosquitos started biting.     Johnston and Gail decided it was time for them to start packing up before everyone was covered in red welts.

Heather smiled devilishly, "I'll get my guys."   She walked down to the deck, "Hey, are you having a top secret meeting?"

"Just talking about sports stuff," Jake said.

He looked up and saw his mother holding Molly, who was wrapped in a towel and trying not to go to sleep.    It looked like everyone else was packing up, "Are we leaving?"

"Yeah, the mosquitos are hungry tonight and we need to get back thru the check-point before the soldiers start getting belligerent for the night.    There's just one thing," Heather said, smiling innocently.

"What's that, Babe?" Jake asked, smiling at her.

"This!" Heather said, moving suddenly and pushing Jake and Jacob into the swimming hole.  "Now we can go," she said, wiping her hands on the back of her shorts and giggling.

**********    **********     **********     ***********     **********

Molly had fallen asleep before they got out to Route 40.    Jacob and Brody had shoved, wiggled and bickered about who got to sit where before finally giving in and going to sleep, flopped together like puppies.    Jake and Heather talked quietly, enjoying the moment of peace.

This feeling was brought to a sudden halt when they saw the lights of the roadblock.   Jake pulled the Roadrunner to a stop and rolled his window down.

"Are you aware it's 8:30 pm?   You're cutting it a little close tonight, Folks.   What's your business in Jericho?" asked an armed soldier.   He was shining a bright light into the car, waking up all three children.    Molly immediately started screaming.   The soldier, looking guilty, muttered, "Sorry."   

Jacob glared at the soldier while handing Molly her pacifier, which had fallen on the seat.   "It's okay, Molls," he said, holding her hand.

"Uh huh," Jake said, very irritated.   "It's not 9 o'clock yet.   Unless the rules have changed since earlier today we still have almost 30 minutes to be off the streets.   Correct?"

"Sir, I'm trying to keep your city safe.   I can do without your tone.   I'll need to see some ID before I can let you through," the soldier replied.

Jake started to say something else but Heather grasped his forearm.   When he looked at her he saw her give a small shake of her head and cut her eyes to the backseat and then lay her hand across the top of her belly.   He glanced quickly to the backseat and saw that both boys looked terrified.    Heather dug in the diaper bag, pulled out Jake's wallet and handed it to him.

The soldier shone his light on the ID card and then at Jake's face, verifying it was indeed Jake Green.   He nodded, handed the card back and motioned for the gate to be opened.   "You're clear.   Let's try to make it a little earlier from now own."

Jake took a deep breath, put the card back in his wallet and looked up at the soldier.  "We'll try our best to keep that in mind," he said, smiling tightly and speaking in a very clipped voice.

He put the car in gear and drove thru the open gate.   

"Thanks, Babe, sometimes my mouth gets ahead of the filter," he said, squeezing her hand.     "Well, it was a fun day while it lasted, wasn't it," he said, heaving a sigh, while turning into their driveway.  "Welcome back to the real world."

**********     **********     **********     **********

Thanks for reading my story.    I hope you enjoyed it.    Feedback is always welcome and very much appreciated.

Chapter 24: Late Night Conversations by SherryG

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.    I am borrowing them for a while and I promise to give them back.

Special thanks to Marzee, Nightsky and JT.    They are great to work with.   

*********     **********     *********     **********

Jake, Johnston and Eric pulled the car and truck to a stop in front of the small strip of stores outside of Dickens, just south of Fielding.    Jake had remembered a small outdoors store that used to be there.   He was pretty sure someone else would have already hit it but it was worth a check.    They had made a sweep through Fielding and found a small baby specialty store that hadn't been touched.   When people had evacuated, food and water were high on their minds, shopping for junior must have come in dead last.   Jake loaded up on baby clothes and diapers.   Jake had shaken his head when he looked at the $100 price tags.    These were definitely not the T-shirts and Elmo shoes he had bought Jacob at Target.   
 
There had been a small used book store beside the baby store.     Jake knew it was silly, but he thought about how much Heather liked to read so he grabbed a few boxes from the baby store and cleaned out the whole Harlequin section and the science fiction section.  He also got everything from the do-it-yourself section and grabbed all the old Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines.  On the way out with the sixth box of books, he spied the kids section and saw three shelves of Goosebumps books.  He remembered Jacob having a few of those back in San Diego, so he scooped them and bunch of other kids books into the final box.     He grabbed a display of book lights when he saw they had batteries included and they had headed back towards Jericho, planning on stopping in Dickens on the way home.
 
Jake was happy to see he was wrong.  There was even a small grocery store beside Dickens Outdoors.  Both stores were locked up tight as a drum.   They loaded the truck and Suburban with all the unspoiled food from the grocery store before going through the outdoors store.    It looked like Dickens Outdoors had just stocked up for the winter when the bombs hit.    The back office was a shambles of mostly emptied food and water boxes.    It looked like the owners had evacuated when the bombs hit.   The warm clothes, thermal underwear, socks, boots, sleeping bags, fishing and hunting equipment and ammo, concentrated foods, gas canisters and camp stoves they found there finished filling the Suburban and the truck.    Jake thought, 'Not bad for a day's work,' and shook his head smiling to himself.   If he had done this for Jonah, it would have been called breaking and entering and he would have been looking over his shoulder for the cops.   Now it was just the way things were.    You did what you had to do and that was the way it was.    The only thing that had made him feel weird was the look on his father's face when he expertly jimmied the locks on the doors in less than a minute.
 
They relocked and closed the doors and were just getting ready to head back to Jericho when Jake held up his hand.
 
"Hey, wait up a second.   We should probably unload most of this stuff at the ranch," Jake said.   "We don't want anything to get confiscated by our new protectors."
 
"Good idea, Jake," Johnston said.   "You thinkin' the bunker?"
 
"Yeah.   It's secure.    You know, we can trade with Stanley for eggs and milk and stuff.   He'd give it to us if we asked but I'd feel better if we traded with him."
 
"Doesn't Jimmy have a big tract of woods he uses for hunting?" Eric asked.
 
"Yeah.   Yeah, you're right.   I had forgotten that.   Those woods have been in the Taylor family for years.   Why?"
 
"We could trade Jimmy some of the stuff for some of the trees.    For firewood."  Eric replied.
 
"Good thinkin', Eric," Johnston said grinning.    "You know, I was mayor of Jericho for almost 30 years.  The only illegal thing I ever did was drive 5 mph over the speed limit.    Now I'm breaking and entering just to survive."
 
"Bein' bad feels pretty good, huh?" Jake asked grinning at his father.   "Seriously though, Dad, with this new so called government, walking on the wrong side of the street can be against the law.    You have to be like Jonah Prowse just to survive."
 
Johnston and Eric both groaned and then laughed.   
 
"Why don't we go in the back way.    Turn off 40 at Daniels Crossroads.    Turn right at Kiltons and take the dirt road all the way back to 40.   It's a long loop but you cut out that military checkpoint at Cedar Run.    The dirt road comes out about 2 miles past the driveway to the ranch."
 
"Sounds like a good plan.   Eric you drive the truck.   I'll ride up here with Jake," Johnston said, climbing in the Suburban and laying a sawed off shotgun across his lap.
 
"Let's do it," Jake said, pulling his pistol out of the holster at the small of his back and putting it in the seat beside him.
 
They got into their vehicles and drove back towards the Green Ranch and home.
 
**********     **********     **********     ***********
 
Jake and Johnston walked in the front door to find Allison Hawkins babysitting.
 
Molly attacked as soon as she saw Jake, bouncing at his feet, arms raised, squealing, "Hold you, hold you, peeze."
 
"Daddy's girl?" Allison asked dryly.
 
"It would seem so," Jake said, smiling and picking Molly up.   "Where's Heather?"
 
"There was some sort of cooking and canning thing going on at the elementary school.   I don't cook.   I volunteered to baby sit."
 
"Thank you.   I don't know what the going rate for babysitters in Jericho is?" Jake said.
 
"Oh, no.   It got me out of cooking.   That was pay enough.   Let me get Sam and we'll head home."
 
Johnston shook his head and said "No need for you to walk.   Get Sam and I'll drive you.    With our new military friends, walking's not really too safe these days."   
 
"Thank you, Mr. Green," Allison said, obviously relieved.   "They give me the creeps, if you know what I mean."
 
"I understand.  I get the same feeling," Johnston said, patting her shoulder.
 
**********     **********     **********     **********
 
Gail and Heather walked into what Heather felt was total chaos at 10:00 PM.     Johnston was drinking a cup of coffee and working a crossword puzzle, Jake was sitting on the couch reading a Star Trek book and absently throwing a Nerf ball back into play whenever it landed in his lap.      Molly and Jacob wear running amuck, playing a combination of a tag, soccer and catch.    Both were screaming and running and having a grand time.   Toys were strewn everywhere.    The house was a wreck.
 
Jake looked up and smiled, "Hi, Babe.    We were beginning to get worried."     His smile faltered when he saw the color rising in Heather's cheeks.    She was obviously angry.  "Are you okay?   Is everything alright?"
 
"Jake!   It's after 10.   What are the kids still doing up?    They don't even have pajamas on.    It's two hours past Molly's bedtime and an hour past Jacob's," Heather said, obviously upset.
 
"Sorry," Jake said, quietly, looking slightly guilty.
 
Molly had run over to her and was pulling on her top trying to get Heather to pick her up.     
 
She picked her up and looked at Jacob.   "Jacob, go upstairs and get ready for bed.   I'll be up in a few minutes."
 
"Can I take my book?" Jacob asked hopefully.
 
"No.   It's after 10.   It's time to go to sleep," Heather said, feeling totally unreasonable and on the verge of crying at the moment.
 
She carried Molly out of the room muttering quietly about clueless men, bedtime and 10 PM.
 
Jake looked at Jacob, "Go on upstairs and get ready for bed.   You can take your book," he said, looking guiltily at his parents.   "Just don't get it out til Heather comes up and tells you good night."
 
Jake looked from his mother to his father with big eyes.   "I didn't know it was that big a deal.    They were playing."
 
"It's the hormones, Jake.   Just let it blow over.   Trust me," Johnston said, giving Gail a knowing look.   "I've been through this twice.    It's best just to let it go."
 
Gail shot Johnston a look that spoke volumes and then looked back at Jake.   "You really should have had them in bed, Jake."
 
"What does it matter?!  They don't have jobs.    Why do they have to go to bed so early.   It makes Molly get up at the butt crack of dawn.    Until Kate came along, I never put Jacob to bed til 10:30 or 11.   He slept late that way.    It made the day easier.    Kate blew that outta the water with a 7:30 bedtime that was strictly observed.    She wouldn't have her schedule thrown off for anything less that puking, bleeding or death."
 
Gail pursed her lips and glared at her oldest son.
 
"Easier?  Easier? What idiot ever told you raising kids was easy?!  It certainly wasn't me.    You taught me how uneasy kids are 10 times a day when you were Molly's age!  Easy! Hmmph!" she said, pointing her finger at Jake.    She shook her head and stomped into the kitchen.
 
"Doesn't seem to be your night, Jake.    I think I'll just unload Gail's car."
 
Jake started picking up the toys and straightening up.    It seemed a pretty safe thing to do.    Johnston went out to the car and got the boxes with the newly canned jars of fruits and vegetables.   He and Gail went to the kitchen and started putting them away.
 
Heather came out of Molly's room.   Jake could see she was still upset but starting to calm down.    She smiled tiredly at Jake.
 
"Thanks for cleaning up, Jake.   That's sweet of you."
 
She walked up the stairs rubbing her back.    Jake shook his head, he never knew what to expect with her mood from one minute to the next.   

When she open the door to Jacob's room she saw him hastily shove a book and light under the covers.   
 
He smiled up at her and said, "Good night, Mom."
 
"Nope.   I saw it.   Hand it over," she said, holding out her hand.
 
"Hand what over?"he asked innocently.
 
"Whatever you just shoved under the blankets.   Now come on.   It's late and I'm tired and I'm not going to deal with this.   Just give it here and be done with it," Heather snapped.
 
Jacob sighed, reached under the blankets, pulled out the book and light and gave them to Heather.   
 
"A book.   Jacob, I said no.   I told you to come upstairs and go to bed.   Why did you bring it up here when I said no?"
 
"I'm not sleepy and Dad said I could.    Good night, Heather," he repeated, angrily turning his back to her and pulling the blanket over his head.
 
She sat down beside him and put her hand on his side.   "I'm sorry.   I shouldn't have snapped.   I'm tired," she grumbled.    Heather pulled the covers down, leaned down and kissed his temple.     "Good night.   I love you," she said, getting up and walking out of the bedroom.   
 
She glanced down for the first time to see what Jacob had been reading.   "Goosebumps One Day in Horrorland".    In her opinion the Goosebump books were little better than kindling.    The theory that "well at least they're reading" had never flown with her and it still didn't.    By the time she got back downstairs she was steaming.     She walked over to Jake, eyes blazing, and slammed the book and light down in his hands.     "You told him he could take this upstairs after I told him no?   If he wakes up scared,  if he starts seeing vampires in the backyard again, if he..... Well that'll be your problem.     I don't want to hear a word," she said, turning around and walking into the bedroom and shutting the door.
 
Jake walked out the front door and stalked down the sidewalk, grinding his teeth.    He would have given about anything for a cigarette at that moment but he refused to give in to it.  'If all pregnancies are like this,' he thought, 'we're done.'     The mood swings were awful.
 
Jake heard his father's step before he saw him.  "Hi, Dad."
 
"You alright?" Johnston asked.
 
"Yeah.   I'm just trying to not say something I'll regret."
 
"Good plan.    She doesn't mean anything she says right now.    You should've seen your mother when she was pregnant with you.    The breeze changing speed could set off an hour long tirade.    It seemed like the tireder she was the worse the mood swings were.    It was better with Eric or maybe I just knew what to expect.   She definitely wasn't any less tired.    You kept us on our toes.    It'll go away when she has the baby.   I promise."
 
"I hope so.   Right now, I'm pretty sure she hates me."
 
"She doesn't.  Trust me," Johnston said, squeezing his shoulder.   He leaned back against the car and looked up.   "Will you just look at that sky.   Now that there's no streetlights, I find myself studying the sky a lot more."
 
They stood and talked about nothing in particular for the next few minutes.   Gail came to the door and called Johnston in to bed.
 
"I'll be in in a minute and get everything locked up."
 
"Okay.   Remember what I said.   It'll get better."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Jake walked back in the house and into the bedroom.     Heather was sitting on the bed, arms folded and tears streaming down her face.     She was looking at his calendar and contact list.   'Great, which way are we swinging this time,' he wondered.
 
"What's wrong?" Jake asked, concerned.
 
"I got this out of your laptop case to try and find a piece of paper so I could write a note and I found this.    Jake?  Who are all these women?   What kind of player were you?   I looks like you had a woman in every port.    Am I just someone you settled for because you couldn't get back to them?"  Heather asked sniffing.    "Morgan in New York and Florida, Amy in Paris, Christina in Amsterdam and then Elizabeth and Jessica in England.   That must have been a happy threesome.   Oh and lets not forget, Ana in Texas and Cassi and Melanie in San Diego .  And then this day circled in red with Sara written in it."
 
Jake tried to hold it in, he tried really hard, but he doubled over laughing.   He gave a mock shudder.   "A threesome with Aunt Bess and Jessi?  I'll never be able to sleep again with that image in my head.  You're jealous?  After everything we've been through, you're jealous.    Well I have to admit that makes me feel loved."    He sat down on the bed beside Heather continuing to giggle.    He put his arm around her and kissed the top of her head.
 
Heather, stiff with righteous anger, refused to give in.   "Don't laugh at me."
 
"I'm not laughing at you.   I'm laughing at the situation," he explained, smiling and trying not to laugh again.    "Let me explain, please."
 
"Oh, please do," Heather answered, curtly.
 
"First off, no I wasn't a player.   I stopped that December 31, 1998.    And all these women," he broke off, clearing his throat in an effort not to laugh, "Sara you know.  That circled date was a meeting.   We still had a few things that needed to be settled.   Nana Kate was a package deal.   Amy and Christina are Kate's daughters.    Aunt Bess, who's 65 by the way, and Jessica are Kate's sister and niece.  She came with a very large family.   Amy, Christina and Jessi were like my sisters.   That woulda been too weird.  Ana is Freddy's wife.   Cassi and Mel were my neighbors.   Their husbands were in my unit.   Believe me, Mike and Steve would have kicked my ass.   They're rather large men."
 
"What about Morgan?" Heather asked, starting to feel ridiculous.
 
"Morgan is Kate's son.   He's a nice guy and all, and an outstanding lawyer, but he's married to Trevor and besides....I don't butter my bread on that side.   I'm as straight as a ruler as you well know."
 
Heather relaxed against him and started laughing softly.   "Oh, Jake, I'm sorry.   I don't know what's gotten into me these days.   I feel crazy."
 
"Oh, I think I know," Jake said, rubbing her burgeoning belly and touching his forehead to hers.    "I'm sorry the kids weren't in bed.   I didn't know it was so important."
 
Heather raised her fingers and put them over his mouth, "No apologies.   They aren't needed."
 
Jake kissed her fingers, making Heather shiver.       He pulled her to him, cradled her face in his hands and covered her mouth with his.    The kiss left them both breathless and slightly dazed.   Jake started kissing her neck and shoulder and slowly trailed his fingers up Heather's thigh, eliciting a moan of pleasure.   He smiled.   "Now, do you think I just settled?   Heather, I love you.   I can't imagine my life without you."
 
Heather got up, locked the bedroom door, turned the lantern off and laid down on the bed beside Jake.     He laid down beside her and started kissing her neck again.
 
"Do you know the best part of arguing?" Heather asked, huskily.
 
Jake huffed a note of laughter and pulled back, "No, what?"
 
"Making up," Heather said smiling.   
 
Jake studied her in the moonlight and smiled back at her.     "You know what?  You're right."
 
**********     **********      **********     ***********
 
Jacob woke up with a gasp.     He was drenched in sweat and breathing hard.    His sheet was clenched in his fists.      He remembered a voice, a cave,  a small locked room and mean laugh and broke out in goose bumps.    This wasn't the first time he had had a dream like this.    Jacob could almost grasp what it was about but as soon as it seemed he had caught it....it was gone.     He knew one thing.....even though it was only 2 am.....sleep was done for the night.     He pulled on a pair of shorts, grabbed his book and headed towards the living room.
 
Even with the windows open, the house was still hot.    There was the sound of distant thunder and smell of rain on the slight breeze that ruffled the curtains.    Jacob decided to take his book out on the front porch.    Now that he had a book light he didn't have to read by candlelight anymore.
 
He leaned against a porch post, closed his eyes and relaxed, knowing he was outside in the wide open made him feel much better.
 
"Too hot for you to sleep too," a voice said from behind him.
 
It was everything Jacob could do to not scream out loud.   He gasped and visibly jumped.     If there had been light enough to see, you would have seen that he was completely pale.
 
"Oh, Honey, I'm so sorry," Heather said, walking over to him quickly and put her arm around a trembling a little boy.   "I didn't mean to scare you."
 
"Oh, Heather, it's just you," he said, feeling his heart about to beat out of his chest.   "Yeah, I couldn't sleep either."
 
"Let's sit down and enjoy the breeze.   Okay?" she said, giving him a hug.
 
They settled themselves on the top step.   
 
"It's so hot in the bedroom.    Of course, I have a built in heater," Heather said, patting her stomach.     "It doesn't seem to bother your dad but I've never been able to sleep if I'm hot.   What about you?   Why are you up?"
 
"I had a bad dream and couldn't go back to sleep."
 
Heather took his book out of his hands and turned it over.   "Goosebumps" leapt out at her.   "Do you think this could be the reason?"
 
"No," Jacob said, shaking his head slightly.   "It wasn't that."
 
"Do you want to talk about it?" Heather asked.
 
"I can't really remember it," Jacob said, shrugging his shoulders.   "All I know is that it was bad.    Mama?  Can I ask you a question?"
 
"Sure.   You can ask me anything."
 
"Do you remember when we were there?   That bad man?"
 
"Yes, but I don't want to.   It's not a happy memory.    Do you think that's what you were dreaming about?"
 
"I don't know.   I don't remember.    I try to remember but I can't.   I remember a bad man.   Why can't I remember?"
 
"Honey, a lot of time we can't remember our dreams.   That's why they're dreams.   Next time you go to sleep you'll have happy dreams," Heather said, rubbing his back.
 
"No, not the dream.  The place and the cave.   Do you remember?"
 
"Jacob, I don't want to talk about it.    You don't need to think about it or try to remember it.   Push it away."
 
"But...."

 
"No.   Let it go.   It's over," Heather said, pushing the memories of those days far away.     Her fingers ran over a rough scar on Jacob's side that she had never noticed before.   "What is this?  Did you hurt yourself?"
 
Jacob, sighed, knowing his questions wouldn't be answered.    "I had a sick heart when I was a baby.   I had to have an operation.    Nana called it my battle scar."
 
"Jake never told me that.   That must of been scary."
 
"I was a baby.   I don't remember," Jacob said, leaning into Heather.    He pointed at the sky and said, "Look, the Big Dipper."
 
"There's Orion," Heather said, pointing to another constellation through the now gathering clouds.    She leaned over and kissed the top of Jacob's head.   "Man, it's hot," she said lifting the hem of her shirt and fanning herself.    "I hope the storm breaks the heat."     She put her hand on the top of her belly and smiled.    "The baby's kicking.   Do you want to feel?"
 
"No!" Jacob said, looking horrified.    "That'd be weird."
 
"No it's not," Heather said, smiling.   "Here give me your hand."
 
Jacob hesitantly reached out and Heather took his hand and placed it on her belly.   The baby obligingly kicked.    Jacob grinned and giggled.    "Will it do it again?"
 
"Probably.   Just leave your hand there," Heather said, putting her hand over Jacob's.    When the baby moved, he laughed again.    A laugh of pure innocence that warmed Heather's heart.
 
Jake stood at the screen door watching, not wanting to interrupt.    He heard a noise and turned to see his mother on the stairs, sniffing.     He held a finger up to his lips.   Gail walked quietly over to Jake.    He put his arm around her and gave her a one armed hug and they continued to watch from the shadows.    After a few more minutes, Jake looked at Gail and whispered, "I'm gonna see if I can get them both back in bed."    She nodded and went back upstairs.
 
He made a sound so they knew he was coming out.    He watched Jacob jerk away from Heather.    Jake shook his head sadly realizing that his boy was growing up.    Jacob still longed for a mother's touch and love but was too embarrassed to let anyone see it.      Jake walked out on the porch and pulled Jacob into his lap, kissing this temple.
 
"Dad...ewww," Jacob said, squirming out of Jake's lap.   "I'm too big for that."
 
"Did you two nightowls know that it's almost 3 am?   Both of you need to be in bed," Jake said, putting his arm around Heather's waist.
 
"We're hot," Heather said, leaning against Jake.    "The breeze is just now starting to pick up."   A distant rumble of thunder could be heard.
 
"I'm not sleepy," Jacob said, trying to hide a yawn.
 
"You're not?" Jake said, smiling.
 
"Well maybe a little bit," Jacob said.
 
Jake stood up and held out his hand.   "Let's get you settled back in bed.    Now that the wind's picking up, I bet you can sleep better."    He looked at Heather and said, "I'll be right back."
 
**********     **********     **********     *********
 
Heather heard the screen door open and smiled when she heard Jake's familiar step.   He sat down behind her, put his arms around her and laid his head on her shoulder.
 
"Hey," he said, turning his head so that he could kiss her neck.
 
"Did he go to sleep," she murmured, leaning back against Jake, thoroughly enjoying his attention.
 
"Um hmm"
 
Heather took Jake's hand and put it on her expanding stomach.   "Here," she said, smiling and leaning back against Jake.    She could feel him smile against her neck.
 
He sat up and chuckled.   "Wild, just like the other two."
 
Heather pointed up at the sky.   "Look, Jake."
 
"What?"
 
She pointed again and moved her finger, "There.   What is that?"
 
Jake smiled, "It's a satellite.     They'll stay in orbit for years.   An EMP can't zap that.    It's weird though isn't it?"
 
"With everything gone, I hadn't even thought about that.   Maybe the military can get everything back up and running." 
 
There was another rumble of thunder, this one closer, and the breeze began turning into a brisk wind.
 
Jake looked to the left and saw a line of clouds advancing.  "Looks like the heat's gonna break.   At least for a day or two."
 
"Good!   I want to run through puddles.   I've been so hot for so long.   I am dying for anything to cool me off!"
 
Jake chuckled.   "I definitely don't think you should be running but I understand what you're saying.    If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll take you for a walk through the puddles."
 
Heather smiled at him and snuggled back into his arms.    They continued to sit on the top step  enjoying each other's company as they watched the storm come in.


****************************************************************

Thanks for reading my story.   Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.   It's what feeds the writing poltergeist.

This story archived at http://www.thegreensofjericho.net/eFiction34/viewstory.php?sid=11