Site and Submission Rules
How The Greens of Jericho Archive Works
The Greens of Jericho Archive is a writer-oriented site for character-focused fiction set in the universe of the Jericho TVf show. It is not our intentifon to be a comprehensive archive of Jericho fan fiction, but rather a specialized archive concentrating on stories about the characters of Jericho and their relationships and interactions with one another. Although we are not actively seeking submissions from the general community, we are willing to consider unsolicited stories for archiving.
We are striving to provide the best in Jericho, character-focused fan fiction and therefore have established high standards regarding the stories we will accept. These standards include:
- Significant character and plot development
- High degree of originality
- Canon character-focused stories
- Believable plot and characterization of canon characters
- Minimal spelling/grammar errors
This is not an open archive, and only those stories that meet these standards and follow the submission rules will be accepted. Stories that do not meet these standards will need to be edited and resubmitted by the author.
Why The Greens of Jericho?
Characters. It was the characters of Jericho, and our curiosity about how these ordinary people would face and handle the very extraordinary situation they found themselves in, that first drew us (the Archivists) into Jericho and kept us coming back each week. That's not to say we aren't interested in the rest, but we're interested in the characters first.
Also, this Archive is not only for fan fiction about the Green family; far from it. We simply chose the name The Greens of Jericho to emphasize the character-focused aspect of the fiction we are archiving.
Membership has its Privileges ... and its Responsibilities
Anyone may join The Greens of Jericho as a Member. However, this site is intended to writer-oriented, reader friendly, and interactive. Therefore, any Member Account on which there has been no activity after three months will be, at the discretion of the Archivists, deleted from the site. As a Member you may designate Favorite Authors and Favorite Stories and opt to receive an E-mail message when new stories or chapters are posted for your Favorites. We hope that as you take advantage of this feature, you will also take the time, on occasion, to leave a Review on those stories and chapters that you enjoyed reading. Anonymous browsing of the Archive is allowed, and we invite those readers who do not wish to leave reviews to continue to browse anonymously.
Authors are also strongly urged to read and review one another's work. You don't have to review everything but there must be something written by somebody else that you enjoy. Otherwise, why would you want to post your story in this Archive?
Reviews do not need to be pages long, and given the current state of the software's Review block we would recommend keeping them short and sweet. But please leave a few sentences on occasion to let the authors know that you are enjoying their story and appreciate their efforts. Another option to consider, especially if you wish to provide more detailed feedback to an Author, is to contact her (or him) via E-mail. You may E-mail any Author by accessing their Profile page and selecting the Contact link.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a complete disclaimer. If a suitable disclaimer is not included, the site administrators reserve the right to add a disclaimer. Repeat offenders may be subject to further action up to and including removal of stories and account.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
- Stories must be submitted to the proper Category. The submission form allows you to choose multiple Categories for your story, so please do NOT add your story to the archive multiple times! If no other Category fits your story, please submit under the "General" Category. New categories will be added as warranted.
- Titles and summaries must be kid friendly. No exceptions.
- "Please read", "Untitled", etc. are not acceptable titles or summaries.
- We respectfully decline crossover stories.
- All stories must feature as main characters one or more canon characters from the Jericho television series as aired. Stories that include original characters will be accepted on a case by case basis, but only as long as there is at least one canon character central to the plotline. Canon Character/Original Character romances may be submitted, but please note that there is no Category for these stories, and none will be added.
Original Character stories are hard to do well, and often they end up being vehicles for bashing canon characters. This type of Original Character story will not be accepted in the Archive. That said, there is a big difference between the "helpful stranger arrives in town with vital knowledge of the outside world and is the immediate love interest and/or long lost significant other of a main character" type of Original Character story and the "twenty or thirty years down the line the canon characters children have grown up and here's how Jericho looks now" type of Original Character story. The Archivists look much more favorably on the second type of story than the first.
- Characters that have flaws are acceptable, but character bashing is not.
- Actor/actress stories are not permitted...not even if they're visiting an alternate reality.
- All stories must be rated correctly and have the appropriate warnings. We use the written fiction rating system as described at www.fictionratings.com. If the administrators disagree with the rating selected, we reserve the right to request that the rating be changed and may change the rating for you. The highest rating accepted within the archive is "M". Stories deemed to be of an inappropriately graphic nature (sex, language, violence, etc.) will be deleted.
- All stories must be your own work. Plagiarism will not be tolerated and will result in immediate banning and deletion of a member's accounts and stories.
- Quoting from other sources such as poetry or song lyrics must be kept to a minimum. This would mean one or two lines or maybe as much as a verse. You must give credit to the original author/artist and include a disclaimer (in Story Notes or at the beginning or end of the Chapter in which the quote appears) indicating that no copyright infringement is intended. We respectfully decline to accept "song fic". Likewise, stories that consist mainly of dialogue from the show are also not acceptable.
- All stories must be submitted in English and should be proof read. We recommend that all writers avail themselves of the services of a beta reader. Posts that include the disclaimer 'unbetaed' will not be accepted. All unsolicited submissions must be validated by an administrator before they become visible in the archive, and as this process may take up to a week, there is no sense in rushing to post your story without first having it reviewed by a beta reader. Members who are willing to be beta readers have indicated this in their profiles.
- The site administrators reserve the right to request corrections to submitted stories that have numerous grammar/spelling errors. If these requests are ignored then the story will be deleted.
- Stories with multiple chapters should be archived as such and NEVER as separate stories. Upload the first chapter of your story, the go the Manage Stories in your Manage Account area to add additional chapters. If you have trouble with this please contact one of the Archivists or ask a friend to help you.
- At some point, a story may grow in size and scope to be a series (multiple stories within the same storyline). However, as only administrators have the rights to establish series within the archive, please contact the Archivists if you believe that your stories should be grouped as a series.
- As much as possible, spoiler warnings are expected on all stories. For categories with serialized content, such as those stories that follow along with the episodes of Jericho, spoilers are mandatory. An appropriate spoiler warning to place in your summary would be: Spoilers for Jericho: The Pilot. DO NOT say for example: Spoilers for the one where the bombs go off. To make this easier to do, we have added the ability to tag your story for the episode(s) for which it contains spoilers.
- We accept works in progress as long as they meet the rules of submission. Stories that have not been updated for three months may be, at the discretion of the Archivists, deleted from the Archive. Authors are always welcome to complete and resubmit their stories.
- Please post Author's Notes only once as Story Notes on the first chapter of your story. Story Notes can be edited (through Manage Stories) as you add Chapters to your story. Notes that apply only to a single chapter may be posted as Chapter Notes or as an Author Note at the beginning of your chapter's Story Text. You may also post End Notes as part of your Story Text or in the End Notes text box. The Archivists recommend using the Story Text, but where to put these items is up to each individual author.
- Author's Notes should not be used for replying to feedback on stories. You should respond to reviews by going to Your Account and picking View Reviews. Next to each review you will see an option that will let you respond. For those readers who wish to leave reviews, please note that there is a link inviting readers to review posted on every story page.
- We encourage constructive criticism, but flaming others and rudeness will not be tolerated and may result in the deletion of your account. Remember what your mother told you: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
- The content of this site will not be backed up. In the event of a server failure it is very possible that story content could be lost. It is highly recommended that writers keep a copy of any submissions.
- Submissions found to be in violation of these rules may be removed and the author's account suspended at the discretion of the Archivists. The Archivists reserve the right to modify these rules as needed.