- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

I want to give credit to my friend, Cindy, for proofing this chapter.   I have recently gotten her addicted to Jericho and she is a big time Jake/Heather shipper!    


***********************************************************




The next morning it was very cold and it was still snowing.   It was the kind of day to sit in a warm house bundled up under a blanket watching a good movie and eating chili or stew.    Unfortunately, Jericho, Kansas had no electricity.   There had been no movies since September.   The only warmth came under lots of blankets or huddled around a fireplace in warm clothes.
 
Heather woke up slowly.   It was so warm under the covers.    She didn't want to move from the flannel sheets.    Jake was spooned up against her back.   His head was propped up on his arm.    He was watching her sleep.   His arm slid around her in a hug.
 
"Good morning," he said, kissing the back of her neck, "I guess I should have asked before I got under the covers but it was cold and I only have on shorts and a tshirt and I didn't want to wake you up."   He smiled at her with his patented Jake sideways smile, trying to look innocent but failed completely, "I was going to get up and go upstairs but you were laying on my arm." He slowly ran his hand down her pajama clad leg threw his leg over hers and pulled her to him.  
 
Heather turned over on her back and smiled up at him and laughed, "You are a pathetic liar."
 
"I'm crushed," Jake said trying to look wounded but started quietly laughing instead.
 
"Babe, how are you this morning?   How are you feeling?", Jake asked, unease creeping into his voice.
 
"Jake, I really think everything is going to be alright.    It was a shock is all.   The fact that you had been living with my sister for the last few years is something that I never expected.    It caught me totally off guard.    Sara and I weren't close.     She might as well have died when she left Jericho for Harvard.     She never came back.....not even when Dad died.   She called but didn't come.    I might have talked to her three times in the past five years."   She reached up and stroked his stubbly cheek, "I'm OK.   Don't worry about me," she said smiling up at him.    "You're all stubbly, I like that."
 
"Is that right?  In that case," Jake said getting an evil glint in his eye, jerking the covers over their heads and began to tickle her and rub his stubbly cheek against hers.
 
"Uncle, Uncle," Heather gasped, laughing.
 
Jake laid back in the bed, laughing, "I told you that you wouldn't know when it was coming."
 
Heather looked over at Jake and raised up on one arm, her hair falling across his face and shoulder, "You have never messed with a Lisinski before.....".   They both stopped, embarrassed, and Heather continued quickly, trying to cover it, "well, I guess you have, BUT you have never messed with HEATHER Lisinski.   This isn't over, BuddyBoy," she said, jokingly.
 
"Oh, I'm counting on that," Jake said, leering at her.    She smacked his chest.
 
The smell of coffee started filling the house.    They heard Johnston, Gail and April talking in the kitchen.     Jacob pounded down the stairs.
 
Jake looked at Heather and smiled a soft smile, "He never walks.   Everywhere is at a pounding run."
They could overhear Jacob's excited voice in the kitchen.    Jake smiled listening to his son's excitement.
 
("Grandpa, Grandpa, have you seen the snow!?   Wow!")
 
"Um, Jake, how are we going to get out of the bedroom without everyone seeing you were in here all night," Heather asked.
 
"Don't worry about it.    Go ahead and get dressed and go to the kitchen.    I'll be there in a few minutes," Jake said, getting up and stretching.    He walked around the bed and gave Heather a deep, slow, soft kiss, "See you in a few minutes."   He quietly slipped out of the room and up the stairs.
 
***************************************************
 
Heather walked into the kitchen 5 minutes later.     She sat down beside April.    Jacob was standing at the back door looking out at the snow and eating a peanut butter sandwich.    
 
"Good morning, Honey," Gail said, smiling at Heather.    "Did you sleep good?"
 
"Very good, thank you," Heather said, getting a cup of coffee.
 
"Jacob," Johnston said, "go upstairs and wake up your father.   We need to decide what we're going to do about getting out to the ranch."
 
"He isn't up there," Jacob said without turning around, "he never came to bed last night.   It was just me and Dreyfuss."
 
"He wasn't there?   Where was he?", Johnston said
 
"Don't know," Jacob said absently, now at the counter spreading a hefty spoonful of peanut butter on a slice of bread.
 
Jake walked into the kitchen.    He grabbed a cup and poured a cup of coffee.   He noticed all conversation had stopped.   He turned around and looked at the table.   Everyone but Heather was looking at him.
 
"What?", Jake said.
 
Johnston picked up his coffee cup and looked over it and said thru the steam, "Where did you sleep last night, Son?   Jacob said you never came to bed."   Heather blushed brightly at this.   She never looked up from her cup.    Johnston was the only one to notice this.
 
"Good Lord, is that all?  I thought something was wrong.    I slept on the couch," Jake said, quickly glancing at Heather, "Jacob's feet are lethal weapons and I might want to have more kids someday."    Everyone laughed and conversation resumed around the little table.
 
"Jake, we have to figure out some way to get out to the ranch and check on the animals," Johnston said.
 
"Looking at the way the snow is still coming down, I don't think we will going anywhere today.   I was out there yesterday and left a lot of food out.   They are watered automatically so we don't have to worry bout that.    The snow will stop before too long and we can figure out what to do then.     How are we going to keep ourselves occupied here all day with no TV, snowed in, is the important question of the day."   He softly smiled at Heather thru the steam of his coffee.    Johnston caught the look.
 
Jacob's head popped up, "We could go skiing.   Like when we went up to the house in Tahoe."
 
"Uh, no, we can't," Jake said, " first, it's coming a blizzard and second, and more important, there aren't any mountains around here.   It's too flat.   There's nowhere to ski.   We always went to Colorado for that."
 
Heather finished her coffee and peanut butter sandwich and stood up, "I think I am going to finish unpacking my room unless you need me to do something, Mrs. Green."
 
"No, honey, you go ahead and get settled.   I am going to put some soup over the fire and it should be ready by mid-afternoon.   We'll just snack til then.   How does that sound?"
 
Everyone left the kitchen to try to keep themselves busy on the cold and dreary Saturday.
 
********************************************************************
 
The day passed very slowly.
 
Jake was sitting on the couch pretending to read a book.    He was trying to come up with some way to make this night special for Heather.    It had been years since he thought about things like this.   There had been no flowers in Jericho in months.    Maybe he could come up with a bottle of wine.   He felt eyes on him and looked up.   Heather was looking at him over the top of her New York Times crossword puzzle book.  She smiled at him and ducked back behind her book.   He smiled to himself and thought, "Yes, everything has to be perfect."   Johnston had caught the whole interaction.   He looked from one to the other with a raised eyebrow and slightly shook his head.
 
Jacob had found a box of old comics in the attic and was lost in the world of vampires.   He was curled up in front of the fireplace.   He was subconsciously pulling the neck of his shirt up.   Johnston watched him pull his shirt tight around his neck and eyes get bigger and bigger.
 
"Jacob," Johnston said.
 
The boy jumped and squeaked out "What?!"
 
"You alright, Boy?   You're pulling on your shirt like something's gonna bite you."
 
Jacob looked at his grandfather sheepishly and blushed, "I'm fine.   It's a scary comic is all."
 
Gail smiled at her grandson, "Too bad you don't have a silver bullet to take to bed with you."
 
"No, that's not right, Gran.   Silver bullets are for werewolves.   You gotta have a wood stake and holy water for a vampire.   A cross and garlic will repel them if you don't have stake.   Um, a key will repel a ghost.   Oh, and for a zombie you gotta cut their head off and bury it face down.   That's how you fight creatures of the dead.   Not a silver bullet," Jacob patiently explained, like he was teaching a class.
 
Gail stopped working her jigsaw puzzle and looked at him with utter surprise on her face, "How in the world do you know all that?   Where did you learn something like that?"
 
"I'd be interested in knowing that myself," Jake said.
 
Jacob looked around and noticed everyone had stopped what they were doing was watching him.
 
"Oops," Jacob said, biting his bottom lip.    Johnston was taken aback again at how much alike his son and grandson were.   That was something Jake had been doing since he was a little boy.
 
"Yeah, I think "oops" is a good word.   Why don't you fill me in?", Jake said, sitting up and giving Jacob his full attention.
 
"Mike and Joey and me ripped a bunch of DVD's to my iPod and I watched them in bed at night.   We tried watching them at school but Sister got mad when she found Freddie going during Chapel.   Didn't try that anymore.   Nana was so mad.   I almost didn't get my iPod back."

"How did 3 of you listen to a movie on 1 iPod?", Jake asked.

"Splitter on the headphones," Jacob answered like it was the most natural thing in the world to know.

"I never heard about the iPod at school incident.   Probably a good thing.  The movies explain why you had the light on in your room all the time." Jake said.     Jake tried to look stern but couldn't, "You are something else.   I'm not sure what but something else.    If the bombs hadn't happened, you three would have ruled the world by the time you were 18," Jake laughed.    The tension broke, everyone went back to what they were doing.
 
Jacob became totally immersed in the horror comic again.   Every time a branch scrapped against the house he jumped and cut his eyes over to the window and huddled deeper in his blanket until it was pulled over his head.    
 
The mantle clock rung nine o'clock.    
 
"Jacob, are you in there?," Jake asked, looking at the blanket lump.  There was no answer.   Jake pulled the cover back and found Jacob sound asleep.     He shook him awake enough to walk him upstairs and put him to bed.    When he got back downstairs, everyone was getting ready to go to bed.    Gail kissed him on the cheek and she and Johnston went up the stairs.    Heather smiled at him and headed for her bedroom.
 
"Good night, Jake.   I'll see you in the morning," she said, smiling at him.    She went into her bedroom and quietly but firmly shut the door.
 
He was left standing in the middle of an empty living room wondering "What happened? What did I do wrong?"    He knew it had been a long time since he had been near a woman in that way but he didn't think his radar was completely cracked.   There had been something there.  What could have happened.    He decided a cold shower and bed was in order.     He grabbed some clean clothes out of his bedroom and headed for the only shower in the house that worked.   The one in the downstairs bathroom.    He lit a candle and turned on the water.    He undressed and stepped in almost screamed the water was so cold.    He thought that should turn off anything that was still warm in his body.
 
Heather was lighting some candles and pulling the bed clothes back when she heard a sound she hadn't heard in months....a shower.   "What in the world", she wondered.    She put her robe on and went out into the living room.   The shower in the downstairs bathroom was running.    She walked to the door and very lightly knocked.
 
"Hello," she whispered, "is anyone in there?"
 
"Yeah, someone is in here," Jake said.
 
Heather opened the door and stepped in, "What in the world are you doing?  You're gonna freeze.   That water's got to be absolutely icy."
 
"It is," Jake said, "I needed to uh....cool down a bit."   The water turned off.   "Could you please hand me the towel?"
 
Heather grabbed the towel and handed it around the back of the shower curtain.    He stepped out of the shower with the towel around his waist and grabbed his clothes.
 
"I'll leave so you can get in here," he said.
 
"No, I'm fine.   I'm not getting in there.   It's too cold.   I just wanted to make sure we hadn't sprung a leak."   They stepped out into the cool hallway.   Jake was shivering.   "My room is toasty come in here and warm up before you get pneumonia."
 
They went into the bedroom.   Jake was struck by how warm it was.   This was nice.   He hadn't been this warm in days.    Then he noticed the room.   There were candles lit on the bedside tables and the bed clothes were pulled down.    Jake looked at Heather and smiled a soft smile and pulled her into his arms.
 
"Jake, there's something I need to tell you."
 
"What?," Jake asked with a muffled voice, as he nibbled her ear.
 
"I haven't ever..........I mean I'm a..........I haven't....," Heather stammered and pulled away.
 
"You're a virgin?," Jake asked, shocked.   "How could someone as pretty and sweet as you still be a virgin?  Oh, Babe, I'm sorry if I pushed.   I didn't know.   I don't want you to feel any kind of pressure."
 
"No, Jake, I want to.   I have never wanted to more.   I just wanted you to know," Heather said, "oh, forget it, I am so embarrassed.   I shouldn't have said anything.    Everything is ruined."   Heather sat down on the side of the bed.
 
"No, no.   Nothing is ruined.   Really.   We'll take this slow and very very easy.   We won't do anything until you are 100% sure," Jake said, sitting down beside her and rubbing her back.
 
She looked at him, "I've never been more sure, Jake."  
 
He laid back and pulled Heather down beside him.    He kissed her neck and slowly unbuttoned the bottom three buttons of her pajama shirt.    His hand slowly trailed across her stomach.   He could feel the muscles dancing under his fingertips.   Their kisses slowly deepened to pure passion.   The first time Jake's tongue touched hers was electric.   Slowly, he moved up so his hand was cupping her breast.   Heather gasped.
 
There was a knock at the door.
 
"Miss Heather?"
 
Jake's head dropped down on Heather's shoulder and he let out a deep sigh.
 
"Just a minute, Sweetheart," she said in a gasping voice.
   
"Do you know where my dad is?   I'm scared.   I can't find him anywhere," Jacob said.
 
"I'm here, Buddy.   Just a minute," Jake said, pounding his head on the mattress.  
 
"Why did I let him read that book.   Damn it to Hell," Jake said under his breath.
 
Jake got up and pulled on his sweatpants and tshirt.   Heather slipped her robe on over her pajamas.   Jake opened the door to find a shivering little boy.
 
He looked over at Heather, "I'll be back in few minutes."  
 
He put his hand on Jacob's shoulder, led him up the stairs and settled him back in bed.
 
"What's the problem?," Jake asked, looking down at Jacob.
 
"Listen," Jacob said looking towards the windows and pulling the covers up high, "there's something scratching the window.   I think its a vampire trying to get in."
 
Jake closed his eyes, shook his head and said in a no nonsense voice, "No, it's not.   It's the tree outside the window.   The wind is blowing the branches against the house.   We've talked about this.   There are no such things as ghosts, vampires or zombies.   It is all made up stories.   Do you understand?"
 
"Yes, Sir," Jacob said in a doubtful voice.
 
"Good.   Tomorrow we're getting rid of those comic books.   Now go back to sleep."
 
"Dad?"
 
"What?"
 
"Why were you in Heather's room at night?," Jacob asked, picking at the comforter and avoiding his father's eyes.
 
Jake took the boy's chin and turned his face towards him until their eyes met, "We were talking about adult business."
 
Jacob looked at Jake for a minute before speaking, "Oh.....that.   I'm tired, Dad.  Good night," and turned his back to his father and pulled cover and pillow over his head.
 
Jake sat on the side of the bed for a minute shaking his head.   He walked slowly back downstairs.   He hesitated outside Heather's bedroom before raising his hand and quietly knocking.   He turned the knob and walked in.   Heather was sitting up in bed reading a romance novel.
 
"Is everything OK?   Did he go back to sleep?", Heather asked.
 
"Yeah, everything is fine.   He is sleeping now," Jake said, sitting down on the bed beside Heather.   He put his hand on her knee and looked at her, "We need to talk about what you told me before."
 
Heather blushed and looked away.   Jake put his finger under her chin and slowly turned her face until she was looking at him.   There were tears of embarrassment in her eyes.
 
"No, don't do that," he said quietly, "it's OK.   We won't do anything that you're not ready for.   I'm not a rapist."
 
"I've never been lucky with sex, Jake.   It just never works out.   I don't want to disappoint you," Heather whispered.
 
He put his hands on either side of her face, leaned in and softly kissed her.
 
"You could never, ever disappoint me.   Your luck is about to change," he said, blowing out the candles and pulling Heather down beside him on the bed.
 

************************************************************

Thanks for reading my stories. I love to know if you like my story so feedback is very much appreciated and welcome! Thanks again for reading!!