- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

The song at the end is by Garth Brooks....I definitely do not take credit for that.   It is all his.   I love the song and thought it worked well.

Special thanks and credit to Marzee and Peggy.

********************************************

Jake pulled into the driveway.   He put his forehead down on the wheel and sighed a very weary sigh.    "What a day", he thought.    

 Jacob was laying in the seat beside him.    His face and head were still covered in dried blood.    His arm was in a cast from armpit to fingers.    The casted arm was held stiffly in place by an immobilizer due to a broken collarbone.    "He's a wreck", Jake thought, "It's going to be a rough night."   The morphine would be wearing off soon.   There were no more painkillers at the clinic.    As far as he knew, there was no Tylenol in Jericho.    Due to the concussion, aspirin and ibuprofen (as if there was any anyway) were off limits because it could cause bleeding.  

Jake looked into the mirror.    He saw Heather smiling at him from the backseat.       The only semi-working x-ray machine was from the 1950's and didn't give the brightest x-rays, but according to April, it looked like Heather's leg had a hairline fracture in the same area as the break from last fall.    Her ankle was also sprained.     "How can she still be smiling after everything that's happened?", Jake thought, shaking his head in wonder.

She put her hand on his shoulder and squeezed, "It'll be OK.   We'll be alright."
 
He turned and stroked her cheek, "I love you.   Did you know that?"
 
She took his hand and squeezed it, "I know.   I love you too."    She looked at Jacob, "We need to get him in the house.   It's cold out here and he doesn't have a shirt or shoes on.    The cold will make him stiffen up and hurt worse.   Let's get him in where it's warmer.
 
Johnston knocked on the window of the car, "Do you need help?"
 
"Yeah, that'd be great," Jake said, opening the door and getting out.   "I'll get Jacob.   Would you help Heather?"

Jake carried Jacob into the living room and saw that his mother had fixed the couch up.      He laid him down and turned to go help Heather and Johnston.   They were coming up the sidewalk when he got out to the porch.    Jake walked to where they were, took Heather's crutches, handed them to Johnston and picked her up.    He carried Heather over the threshold and into the house.
 
Heather couldn't help but smile at the thought of being carried over the threshold.    Jake caught her almost hidden smile and gave her his patented Jake Green sideways grin.
 
"Where do you want to go?   Living room or bedroom?", Jake asked.
 
"Um...bedroom.    I want to get into some comfortable clothes," Heather said.
 
Jake took her into the bedroom and put her on the bed.    He handed her the pajamas that were on the bench at the foot of the bed.  
 
"Do you need help getting undressed?", Jake asked.
 
Heather chuckled, "I think I can manage getting myself undressed."
 
"Oh, that's not what I meant.   I swear.   I just thought with all that stuff on your leg.   I promise, I wasn't going to try anything.    I wouldn't expect....I mean I never even thought..... I swear," Jake stammered.
 
Heather patted his hand, "I know...I was kidding.   Go check on Jacob.   I'll be out in a minute."
 
Jake walked back into the living room.   Gail was gently trying to wash some of the dried blood out of Jacob's hair.      He smiled at his mother, walked to the couch and gently took his mother's hand.
 
"That can wait til morning.    Let him sleep while he can.   The morphine will wear off soon and there's nothing to give him when it does.    I have it covered down here.   You and Dad go get some rest."
 
Gail stood up and hugged him, "If you need anything at all Jake, you know where I am."
 
Jake hugged her back, "Thanks, Mom."
 
Heather came out of the bedroom a few minutes later to find Jake pulling a blanket over Jacob.     She watched him bend down and press his lips to Jacob's forehead.   A memory from Heather's childhood popped into her head.   She could clearly see her mother doing that.
 
"Is he running a fever?", Heather asked.
 
Jake looked up at Heather as she slowly made her way to the couch.   "You get around pretty good on those things, " Jake said, looking at the crutches.  "You know the kiss trick, huh?  It was years before I realized what my mother was doing.   I thought it was just a kiss for the longest time.   That "soothing back rub" too, I didn't know til I was a teenager that she was checking for a fever," Jake smiled at his childhood memories, "And, no, he doesn't have a fever."
 
Heather started toward the kitchen, "I'm gonna get some water.   Want some?"
 
"Sit," Jake said, pointing at the chair, "I'll get it for you.   You need to stay off your leg."
 
She smiled at him, "Thanks.   I'll let you.   It's starting to throb."
 
She sat down in the chair beside the couch.   Jake had just stepped out of the room when Jacob started getting restless.

Heather scooted over on the couch beside him, "Honey, are you alright?"
 
"My back is itchy and I can't scratch it," Jacob said sleepily.
 
"Roll over on your side and I'll rub it for you."
 
He very slowly maneuvered himself to his side.   Heather slowly and very gently started rubbing his back.
 
Jacob yawned and sighed contentedly, "My Nana used to do that when I didn't feel good.   It always makes me feel better."   He drifted back off to sleep.    Heather didn't move.   She continued to rub his back.    She heard a sound and looked up.   Jake stood in the doorway.   He had an odd look on his face.
 
"Jake?" Heather asked, concerned. "Are you alright?"
 
He walked over, handed her a bottle of water and squeezed her shoulder.
 
"I'm so lucky, Heather."
 
"Lucky?  How do you figure that?    Your son has 3 broken bones and is held together by thread.   How are you lucky?"

"It was luck that put us together on that bus.   It was luck that brought you into our lives.   Sara never would have done what you did today.   I guarantee you, she wouldn't be sitting on a couch in the middle of the night rubbing Jacob's back.   He needed a loving touch.   We need you.   So, yes, I consider myself lucky."

Heather smiled at Jake and squeezed his hand, "I feel pretty lucky myself."
 
"Why don't you go to bed?   I'm gonna stay out here in case he needs me.    There's no sense in both of us staying awake all night."
 
"Why don't you pull out the sofa bed in our bedroom?  We'll be able to hear him if he wakes up.   It's the only way I can think of to get any sleep."
 
Jake gave Heather a surprised look, "Are you sure?"
 
"Jake, I'm not Sara.   I want to be as much a part of Jacob's life as I do yours.   I want to help take care of him.   Yes, I'm sure.   Go make up the sofa bed."
 
"I'm sorry, Heather.   It's been a long day.   I didn't mean....I wasn't saying...."
 
Heather took Jake's hand, "Let's go to bed and try to get some sleep."
 
*********************************************************
 
Heather woke up first that morning.    It was cold in the house.    She slowly made her way to the fireplace.    She added what logs there was and poked the fire up.    Soon there was a merry blaze.    Gail came downstairs pulling a sweater over her head.   She glanced at the couch and stopped.  
 
"Where's Jacob?"
 
"He's in the bedroom asleep.     Jake was going to sit out here with him but I didn't think that would be comfortable.    I talked him into putting Jacob on the sofa bed in the bedroom.    I thought it was the only way anyone was going to get any sleep."
 
Gail smiled at her, "You don't need to explain.    How is he this morning?"
 
"It was bad night but I think both he and Jake are finally asleep.   He has a bad headache and he had an asthma attack a couple of hours ago.   Jake almost didn't get it under control.    They're both exhausted."
 
"I'm just gonna take a peek," Gail said, walking over to the bedroom door.    She glanced in and saw Jake sitting up against the back of the sofa bed.   His eyes were closed and his head was resting against the wall.   Jacob was sleeping sitting between Jake's legs leaned up against him.     They were pale with exhaustion.   Jacob's hair was wet with sweat.    Gail saw that Jake had wrapped his arm around Jacob and had his hand resting on his chest.    Gail had spent enough nights sitting up with sick kids to know Jake wasn't just holding his son, he was making sure he was breathing.    Jacob was still quietly wheezing.   Jake lifted his head and looked at her with very tired eyes.    He raised his hand and put his finger over his lips.    Gail quietly left the room.
 
******************************
 
An hour later Jake came out of the bedroom stretching.    Johnston, Gail and Heather were sitting in the living room quietly talking about the night before.     Jake gave his mother a kiss on the cheek and then walked over and cupped Heather's face in his hands and gave her a quick kiss that promised more later and said, "Thank you."
 
Johnston cleared his throat, "Alright, Children, not in front of your parents please."
 
Heather blushed a deep shade of pink and Jake looked back at his father and smiled, "Sorry, Dad.   The urge struck.   When an urge comes over me I just have to do it....it's a character flaw."
 
"So, how is my grandson?", Gail asked, trying not to laugh.
 
As if in response to his grandmother's question, Jacob very slowly walked out of the bedroom.    He looked down at his arm in the immobilizer and then around the room.
 
"Do I have to wear this?   It's itchy and I can't move my arm."
 
"That's the idea.   You have a broken collarbone.   You're not supposed to move your arm," Jake said.  
 
Jacob walked over, sat down between Jake and Heather and leaned back on Jake.    Jake felt his forehead and said,  "We need to get you cleaned up.   You're looking pretty rough."
 
"I don't want to.   My head hurts and my arm hurts," Jacob said, his face like a thundercloud, "and I want this thing OFF." (pulling on the immobilizer strap.)
 
Jake looked over at his parents, "Just so you know, he's the nastiest sicky you'll ever meet.   That's how I can tell when he's getting sick.   He turns on you."
 
Gail raised one eyebrow and looked over at Jake and then Johnston, "Well, he comes by it honestly."
 
Jake and Johnston looked at each other and then at Gail and said, "What?" at the same time.
 
"Oh, nothing.   Nothing at all," Gail said laughing.
 
****************************************
 
Two weeks later Jake and Jacob were walking up Chestnut Street towards the Medical Center to have stitches removed.  
 
"So, how does the arm feel?", Jake asked.
 
"It's OK, Dad.   You've asked me that three times since we left the house.   Is there something wrong with my arm?"
 
"No.  Sorry.   Just wanted to make sure everything was ok."
 
"What's wrong, Dad?"
 
"Nothing," Jake said, taking a deep breath, "I need to talk to you.   Let's sit down," Jake said motioning to a bus stop bench.  
 
"What about?"
 
"Well...," Jake hesitated.
 
"What?"
 
Jake turned and looked at Jacob, "How do you feel about Heather?"
 
"I like her.  She's fun.  Why?"
 
"I like her a lot too.   A lot."    
 
"Dad," Jacob said quietly, looking down at the sidewalk and pushing a rock around with the toe of his shoe, "is Sara dead?"
 
"I don't know," Jake said.    He turned sideways on the bench so he could look Jacob in the face,  "Jake, she's not coming back.   Ever."
 
"I like Heather," Jacob said, smiling at his father, "She's nicer than Sara."   He hesitated a minute and then looked at Jake from under his bangs,  "Are you gonna marry Heather?"
 
Jake inhaled sharply and looked at Jacob, "Why do you ask that?"

Jacob looked at his father and shook his head in disgust, "I'm not a baby, ya know.   Ain't this the "is it ok with you talk"?   Me and Mike and Joey talked about this when Mike's dad got married.   This is the same talk Mike got.   Ain't that what this is?  I mean you sleep in the same room.   You do that thing.  Come on, Dad, DUH,"   Jacob said, rolling his eyes.

"Don't say ain't...it's isn't.   And yes.   I guess it is that talk," Jake said smiling, "I guess I forget you're a grown up mature man now.    How would you feel if I talked to Heather about it?"
 
"I told ya Dad, I like Heather.   She's nice.   It's OK with me."
 
"Don't say anything to anybody.    It's a secret.   OK?"
 
"OK," Jacob said, impulsively hugging Jake with his good arm.   Jake was stunned.   He never got hugs anymore.    He hugged him back for just a second before Jacob pulled away.
 
*******************************************************
 
Later that night Jake was helping his mother in the kitchen when he heard whispering, laughing and shhhing coming from the living room.
 
"So it's OK.   You don't mind watching him if I take Heather out for a real date?", Jake asked, drying a dish.
 
"Honey, take Heather out.   Have a good time.   I don't mind at all.   What are you going to do?" Gail asked.
 
The laughing got louder followed by loud shhing and whispering.
 
He walked to the doorway and looked towards the fireplace.   It was Heather and Jacob.  "Hey, what are you two up to.  I thought you were resting.   That doesn't sound like resting to me."
 
They looked at him and said "Nothing" very guiltily.    
 
Jacob looked at Heather, "I told you if you didn't be quiet we were gonna get in trouble.   You can't sneak if your laughing," he whispered, shaking his head.
 
Jake narrowed his eyes and walked towards them.    They started hastily rearranging blankets on the floor and then looked up at him with big,innocent eyes.
 
"Hi, Jake."
"Hi, Dad, whatcha doin?"
 
"Nope.  That don't work.   You look guilty.   Move back, both of you."
 
"Why?" Heather looked up at him, trying to not laugh.
 
"You can't hold a straight face, that's a sure sign you're up to something."
 
He bent down and pulled the blanket away.   Heather's walking cast was off and there was a walkie talkie with the antennae pulled all the way out.  "What, exactly, is going on here?"

"Well, Dad, you said I couldn't stick anything down in the cast to scratch my arm and you told Heather she couldn't take that thing off her leg.   Well my arm is really itchy and she wants that thing off her leg so I figured if I took the cast off her leg and she scratched my arm that we couldn't get in trouble. Because we're doing what you said, I didn't scratch and she didn't pull that thing off her leg," Jacob explained, looking very proud of himself.

"Figured that out all by yourself, did you?"
 
"Yes," Jacob said smiling.
 
Jake bowed his head and shook it, "I give up."
 
Gail walked into the room, "Is everything OK?"
 
"They've teamed up against me.   One is just as bad as the other."
 
******************************************************
 
St. Patrick's Day dawned bright and sunny.     Jake woke up to find Heather watching him.  
 
"Mornin'," he said yawning.
 
Heather snuggled up beside him and ran her fingers over his chest, "So, what is this surprise evening you have planned?"
 
Jake chuckled, "That ain't gonna work.   I'm not telling you.   It's a surprise."
 
"Is that so," she said getting a mischievous gleam in her eye.    She continued running her fingers across his chest and started nibbling his ear.
 
"I've been trained to only give name, rank and serial number during a torture attempt.    And besides, the torturer has to be willing to go all the way," he said, suddenly throwing her over onto her back, pulling the covers over their heads and starting to tickle her.
 
She screamed and then started laughing, "Ok Ok...I give."
 
Jake stopped and uncovered his head.   He looked very pleased with himself, "There's more than one way to get out of enemy territory."
 
He got out of bed still chuckling.   He handed Heather the walking cast, "Here, put this on.   If you're good today I might let you go without it tonight."
 
"Really," Heather said and then started smiling, "Jake, there's something you might need to know.   I do believe in giving full warning.   I was the Wedgy Queen in high school."
 
"Well then," Jake said, walking over to her side of the bed, "I'll just have to go commando won't I?"   He leaned down and gave her a deep kiss that left her gasping for breath at the end.
 
**********************************************************
 
Jake spent the day getting everything ready.     He was very happy that the weather had finally started warming up.   It was actually in the 60's.    The only thing he couldn't find were flowers.
 
On the way back to town he drove by the old abandoned Booker farm and slammed on the brakes.   There were rows of creamy yellow Daffodils against a rock wall that used to be part of the house.    He picked everyone he could find.   True, they weren't the most romantic of flowers but they were the first flowers in Jericho.    He quickly drove back to the Ranch in hopes of finding a vase.
 
Jake walked into the house an hour later.   He was very proud of himself.    Gail and Heather looked up from a jigsaw puzzle.   Their mouths fell open.
 
"Jake, Honey, you're filthy," Gail said, looking at her oldest son.   She didn't think she had seen him this dirty since he used to play in the dirt.   He was covered, head to toe, in dirt and grime and there were spider webs in his hair.
 
"True," Jake said, smiling, "but I got a lot done today."  
 
Jacob looked up from his seat on the window seat, put his book down and wrinkled his nose, "Dad, you stink."
 
"Nothing like family love," Jake laughed, "Don't worry.   I'm going to take a shower."
 
He looked at Heather and smiled, "Go on.   Start getting ready."   He headed up the stairs.
 
"What exactly am I supposed to be getting ready for?", she called after him.
 
He looked down at her, "It's a surprise.    Remember to wear something green.   I don't want to have to pinch you."
 
Heather looked at Gail, "He won't tell me anything.   How exactly am I supposed to dress.   I don't have a clue what he has planned."
 
"I don't know what it is exactly but do you have anything that is casual, not dressy but more than jeans?"
 
*************************************
Jake walked out in the hall with a towel around his waist.    He was glad Eric had forgotten his cologne when he moved out.    He thought Polo was a nice choice and it was so very Eric.

He walked into Jacob's bedroom and looked at the clothes his mother had found for him. "Perfect", he thought.    He was glad that his mother liked to save things.   It didn't look like Gail had thrown anything of his out in the time he had been gone.  She had just moved it to a storage closet.   He was sure he had never worn these....they looked brand new.

Gail walked into the bedroom behind him, "You look very nice," she said proudly.
 
Jake smiled, "Thanks.   I clean up well," he said, laughing.    
 
He sat down on the side of the bed and started pulling on his boots.  
 
"Don't wear those beat up things," Gail said, handing him a pair of Johnston's loafers.  "These look better."   She closed the door behind her.   Jake walked over to her and put his arms around her, "Thanks, Mom.   You're the best," he said, kissing her cheek.
 
"I know," she said, hugging her oldest son.  She stepped back, looked up at him and then stuck something in his pocket, "Here, this is for you."
 
******************************************************************
 
Jake walked down the stairs.   Heather looked up from her book and smiled, "You clean up very well, Mr. Green."  Jake had changed from his usual jeans, t-shirt and battered boots to khakis, dark green Polo shirt and loafers.
 
He gave her his patented "Jake Green sideways smile", "You didn't do too bad yourself, Miss Lisinski,"  he said looking at Heather appreciatively.   She had changed into a very springtimey Empire waist dress and flats.
 
"You have legs," he said smiling.
 
"Nice shirt," she said walking over.
 
Jake chuckled and kissed her quickly.
 
"Eww, gross," they heard from the dining room table.    Jake looked over and saw Jacob and Johnston playing a game of checkers.    
 
"You kids have fun," Johnston said, wincing as Jacob triple jumped him.
 
"And don't bring home a baby," Jacob said, laughing.
 
"Alright, that's enough of that," Johnston said, looking at all the possible moves left to him on the checker board.    He moved only to be jumped again and lose the game.      
 
"HA! I win!" Jacob shouted.   Johnston decided then and there that he would never start out with the intention of letting Jacob win.   It was too humiliating.
 
Jake took Heather's hand and they walked to the front door, "We'll see you later."
 
They got out on the front porch and started laughing.
 
"Someone needs to have a talk with him," Jake said, turning slightly pink.
 
"You're his father," Heather laughed, also blushing.
 
"Yeah, but you're the teacher," Jake said, continuing to laugh.
 
They walked down the sidewalk and got into the car.
 
**************************************************************
 
Jake backed the car out of the driveway and started out of town.    
 
"Now, all things are not what they seem at first.    When we get where we're going don't let looks deceive you."
 
"Where are we going, Jake?" Heather asked.
 
"It's a surprise," he said with an infuriating smile.
 
Heather recognized the area.   They were headed out towards the ranch?  Surely not.   There was no where out there for a date.
 
"We're going to the ranch?   Aren't we a little overdressed for the horses?"
 
"I told you, looks can be deceiving.   Just hang on."
 
They drove past the road out to the ranch and turned left on the next one.   The road was in very bad shape but showed signs of lots of recent usage.
 
They pulled up in front of a house badly in need of painting.    It might have once been yellow but now it was a faded yellowish white.    
 
"Remember....first impressions aren't everything," Jake said, opening the door for Heather and taking her hand to help her out of the car.
 
Heather wasn't seeing a house in need of paint.    She was seeing the house in her dream.    Yellow, with white shutters, flower beds everywhere and kids playing on the front porch.    She turned and looked out at the fields surrounding the house.   She didn't see dead grass and mud, she saw fields of green---the grass waving in the slight breeze---looking like a green ocean and more----a field of promises to come.
 
Jake looked at her, "Hey, are you alright?"
 
Heather smiled, "I'm absolutely perfect."
 
"Good," Jake said, taking her hand and pulling her towards the porch, "Come on."
 
They walked in thru the side door into the kitchen.   It was freshly painted and everything had been scrubbed.    Daffodils were everywhere.    The fire was crackling merrily.   Bonnie and Sean came into the kitchen.   Jake gave her a quick hug.    
 
"Thanks for helping, Bonnie.   You're a lifesaver, " he smiled and looked at Heather, "Jake don't cook...unless you're interested in eating charcoal.   Bonnie remembers my cooking.    She offered to help out."
 
He gave Bonnie a hug and shook Sean's hand, "Thanks Guys.   Be careful," as they headed out the door.
 
Jake looked at Heather, "Sit down.   I'll get everything on the table."   He handed her a bottle of wine, "Would you mind opening this?"
 
He walked over to the fire and took the lid off of a pot that had been simmering on a grill near the back of the fireplace.    He fixed two plates of steak, baked potatoes and grilled corn.    There was even bread in a crock beside it.     He took the plates over to the table.
 
"This looks great," Heather said, looking at the plates, "how in the world did manage food for a meal like this?"
 
"It helps to have farm connections.    Bonnie is a great cook.   All I had to do was ask and she jumped on board to cook for me.   She's tasted my burnt offerings and she didn't want you to fall victim to it," Jake said laughing.
 
They savored their food.   It had been months since they had had any food like this and might be months before they had it again.    
 
After they had their fill they sat and finished their wine in comfortable silence.
 
"So," Jake said, "is there anything about me you want to ask about?   Anything at all?  I know I show a lot of wear and tear and come with a lot of baggage.  You've probably heard lots of stories.   So now is your chance.   Anything?"
 
"Jake, I don't care about your past.   Not one bit of it.   I know you had some problems.   It doesn't matter.   It's who you are now....not then."
 
He took her hand and kissed it, "You are so sweet and good.   I just can't figure out what you see in me.    I'm everything you're not.   I'm a lot older than you.   I can't believe you would want to be with me."
 
"Stop it.   You're being silly.   You're a good man, Jake.    That's the way I feel and you're not going to talk me out of it," Heather said, indignantly, "I love you, Jake Green.   And I'm 26 not 16.   You're not that much older than me."
 
Jake breathed a silent sigh of relief.   He had given her the chance to bail and she hadn't taken it.   He relaxed a little.
 
"Jake, have you ever truly considered marriage?  I mean you're 32 years old.  You have a child.    Why have you never gotten married?    Have you ever even thought about it?"
 
"I did actually propose once.   To Emily.   We were kids.   I was 19 and she was 17.    We were engaged for a about a day.    As much as I hate to admit it, there just wasn't anything there with Jake's mother.   It was rebound and sex and that's it.   And Sara, well, Sara and I were never meant to be.   It just wasn't there.   And I don't regret that," he hastened to answer, "Yes, I have thought about it.    Heather, how do you feel about marriage?  Have you ever thought about it?"
 
"I like the idea.   With the right person it would be wonderful.   I have thought about it.   I've thought about it a lot lately," she said, smiling at Jake shyly.
 
"Heather, you know I have a kid.   We're a package deal.    I would never leave him behind.    How do you feel about that?"
 
"Jake, that is the most stupid question I think you have ever asked me.    If you think I would ask you to leave him behind you don't know me at all.   Get this through your head.   I am not Sara.   I am sorry she hurt you the way she did.   I would never do that, Jake.    He's a great little boy.   I love him."
 
Jake exhaled a huge held breath.    He put his hand in his pocket.   He was glad that his mother could still read him like a book.    
 
"Heather Lisinski," Jake said, moving out of his chair to kneel in front of her.   He took her hand in his and kissed it and then cupped her face in his hands and kissed her, "I love  you.    I love your crossword puzzles and your suduko puzzles, your romance novels, your big fuzzy bathrobe and foo foo bunny slippers.   I love you.   Would you marry us?" he asked, pulling a box out of his pocket and opening it.    Inside was Grandmother Green's diamond engagement ring.
 
Tears started running down Heather's face.    "Oh, Jake, yes, yes, yes."
 
***************************************************************************
 
After making sure the fire was out and clearing away the dishes they left and drove back to town.     Neither of them wanted to go home so they decided to go to Bailey's.   There was a St. Patrick's Day party in full swing.   Jake spotted Stanley and Mimi in their usual corner both.    He waved at Eric as they walked past.
 
"How was dinner?" Stanley asked.
 
"Dinner was amazing," Heather answered, glowing.
 
"I didn't know steak and a baked potato could make a woman that happy.   Did something else happen?" Stanley asked, grinning.
 
Heather held out her left hand, beaming a smile bright enough to light up Jericho.
 
Stanley came around the table and caught Jake in a bear hug. "Dude, you're takin' the vows.   Congratulations!"
 
Eric walked up, "What?  Did I just hear that my big brother proposed?"
 
Eric stood up on a chair, "All right everybody.   Quiet down.   Hush.   I have an announcement."   The bar fell completely silent, everyone expecting some more bad news.   Eric smiled, "My big brother proposed to Heather Lisinski tonight.   Believe it or not Mr. Jake Green is getting married!!!!  He is finally off the market!"   The bar erupted in cheers and yells.    Glasses of green, St. Patrick's Day moonshine were passed around.    Jake and Heather were toasted repeatedly.   It was the first good news Jericho had had in months and they were going to celebrate it wholeheartedly.   Finally, it quieted down and the music started again.    
 
Emily came over to the table.   It was obvious she had been crying.   She hugged Heather and looked at her and Jake, "Congratulations.   I know you'll be happy."  
 
Jake scooted over, "Wanta sit down?"
 
"No, I need to go home.   Have a great evening.   Congratulations."   She slowly walked out of Bailey's.
 
When a slow song finally came on Jake pulled Heather to the dance floor and they danced in the glow of happiness.
 
"She was the one that I'd wanted for all times
And each night I'd spend prayin' that God would make her mine
And if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back then
I'd never ask for anything again
 
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers

And as she walked away and I looked at my wife
And then and there I thanked the good Lord
For the gifts in my life

Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he may not answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers......"----Garth Brooks

******************************************

Thanks for reading my story.   Feedback is always appreciated!!