- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: CBS gave up on the show and the characters....I refuse to.   I claim them in the name of squatter's rights.    Since they're mine (and I'm willing to share with all my JFF friends) I can keep alive whoever I want to.   JOHNSTON LIVES.

Special thanks to Marzee, Nightsky and JT. They are great to work with. I don't think I could have gotten this one done without them!!!

**********     **********     **********     **********

 
He heard Heather whisper, "Jake."
 
He could feel her hand touching his chest.

"Where are you? I feel like I'm dying," Jake said in his doze.
 
Heather sat beside him on the bed. She gently caressed his shoulder.

"Jake, you need to wake up."

"Why? If I wake up, you'll be gone."

Heather stroked his cheek, bent down, kissed his temple and whispered, "Jake, wake up."

His eyes fluttered. He saw Heather sitting beside him. His eyes filled with tears. Why was Heather haunting him tonight?

He reached up and cupped her cheek in his hand, "You feel so real."

"Jake, I am real. I'm home. Please wake up."

Jake opened his eyes and looked at Heather. She could see total confusion. He pushed himself up and looked at her. He hesitantly reached out and touched her hair and her cheek. He trailed his fingers across her lips.

"It's really you. Oh my God, you're home," he said, his eyes filling with tears. He pulled her to him in a crushing hug and captured her mouth in deep,passionate kiss.

They finally pulled apart when neither could breathe.

"How're you here? When? What happened? Where's Jacob?"

Heather pulled away. Jake watched her tear up. "I tried Jake. After I got away from Kane, I tried to go back but I couldn't get in. They had guns. I couldn't rescue him." She bowed her head into her hands and sobbed. Jake took her in his arms and held her while she cried.

"Heather, is Jacob alright? Is he hurt? Who're they? Who's Kane? Where is he?"

"After the entrance to the cave collapsed, we walked for what seemed like hours.    We finally found Jonah.   Ravenwood showed up while we were there.    Jacob and I ran away.    I tried to protect Jacob.    I grabbed a gun.   I....." Heather hesitated, looked down down at the floor, shook her head and continued quietly, "They kidnapped us and took us to a compound close to Black Jack.    I think they killed Jonah."

Jake tilted Heather's face up, "Heather, is Jacob ok?

"Yes......no.......I don't know, Jake. No. No he isn't ok," Heather said, her voice rising and her tears starting to flow again. "I mean, physically, Jacob's ok. He stepped on a piece of glass when we were trying to run away so his foot is cut pretty bad. A medic changes the dressing several times a day. But Jake, he's trying to hide in his memory. I'm worried he's going to fade away. We've got to get him away from there. Now." She stood up and reached for Jake's hand. "Let's go."

"We can't just pick up and leave, Heather. We don't know what we're walking in to,"
 
Jake said, pulling her back on the bed. "How is it you escaped?"

"Goetz sold me to Kane this morning. He's that trader guy at Black Jack. Remember? I escaped thru a skylight in the room he locked me in. Jake, Goetz was going to send a ransom note, but then he was going to double cross you. I heard the guards talking about it. He's going to keep Jacob and then sell him to Kane. We've got to go now," Heather said, starting to sob. Between heaving sobs she said, "We.....can't......let.....him.....go..... to.....Kane.....He'll.....do.....awful.....terrible.....things." Heather broke down completely.

Jake cupped her face in his hands and kissed her, "Ssshhhhh. It's OK. We're going to get him. Calm down." He put his arms around her and rocked her on the bed, "Sssshhh. We're gonna go get him. I promise."

Gail opened the door and stuck her head in. Her eyes widened and a trembling hand came up to her mouth. Jake put his finger over his lips. He continued to try to soothe Heather. Jake looked at his mother and mouthed, "Get Dad."

"Ok....try to calm down. We're gonna get everybody together and we're gonna figure something out but you have to calm down. Shhhhhh. We're gonna get him. Nothing will happen. We'll get him today. Everything's gonna be OK.   Our family will be all back together.   You, me and Jacob."

Heather, who had been starting to calm down, looked down at her hands and started to sob again. "Jake, Goetz took it. It's gone." Heather was crying so hard she was shaking.

"Took what, Baby. Took what?" Jake said soothingly, rubbing her heaving back.

She held out her left hand, "Your Grandmother's engagement ring. He yanked it off my hand."

"Heather, sit up. Stop crying. I have something to show you," Jake said. When he was sure Heather wouldn't fall he let go of her and leaned over to the nightstand beside them. He picked up the ring and held it out so she could see it. "Look, it's not gone. It's right here," he said, slipping it back on her finger.

Heather hugged her hand to her chest and looked at Jake, "How....where....Goetz took it and sold it. How did you get this," she said trying to wipe her face with her right hand.

Jake looked around for a towel of some sort but there wasn't one. He handed her the t-shirt he had pulled off before going to sleep, "Here, use this. It's clean. I put it on after I took a shower. The ring was in the ransom note along with a threat that if we tried to find you they would kill you."

Johnston came running into the room. He pulled Heather into an embrace, "Thank God you're home. What happened? Where's my grandson? Are you alright? Is Jacob alright?"

Heather looked at Jake and started to tear up again.

Jake looked at Johnston and shook his head, "Let's not make her go thru it more than once. I'm gonna go get everyone. We need to figure some things out." He cupped the back of  Heather's head, leaned down, kissed her temple and said, "I love you.   I'll be back soon."

He looked at Johnston, who was still holding Heather, "Dad, take care of her. I'll be back as soon as I can."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
It was 2 am when Jake finally made it back to the house followed by Eric, Robert Hawkins and Jonah Prowse.

He looked around, "Where's Heather?" Jake asked.

"She's a nervous wreck.   I made her go lay down," Gail said.   "She's still so upset that she can't hold anything on her stomach.   If she's still like this in the morning, I'm going to take her to see Kenchy."
 
"Go on in the kitchen," Jake said, to Eric, Hawkins and Jonah.   "I'll get Heather."
 
Jake walked into the bedroom and saw that Heather had changed into pajamas and a robe.    She was asleep, hugging his t shirt to her chest.   He stood there for a minute just watching her breathe.   Finally, he walked over to the bed and sat down beside Heather.   He pushed her hair back behind her ear and kissed her cheek.  

"Baby, you need to wake up.   Everyone's here.   They need to ask you some questions."
 
She opened her eyes and looked at Jake, "Who's going to go?"
 
"I don't know.   That's what we have to figure out," he said, standing up and holding his hand out to Heather.
 
They walked into the dining room.    Johnston, Gail, Eric, Hawkins and Jonah were gathered around the table looking at a map.    Gail had made coffee and everyone had a cup.      Eric came around the table and gave Heather a quick hug, "Thank God you're home safe."
 
Heather smiled tiredly and squeezed his hand, "Thank you."
 
She spotted Jonah, "I thought they'd killed you.   When they brought us out you were lying in the floor of the cave not moving."
 
Jonah looked at Jake, barked out a laugh and looked back at Heather, "Takes more than a pistol to the side of the head to kill me.   I'm too mean to die.   Right, Jake?"
 
Jake smiled crookedly, "Yeah, at least that's been my experience."
 
"Miss Lisinski," Hawkins began.
 
"Heather, please," she said.
 
"Heather,  we need to know exactly what happened to you and Jacob.    Any information we have going in will keep Jacob a little safer.   Start at the beginning."
 
Heather pulled a chair out and sat down.    Jake stood behind her with his hands on her shoulders, rubbing the back of her neck.    She was just about to start when Gail set a cup in front of her.
 
"Mom, I don't think I can keep anything down."
 
"It's just some tea.    How long has it been since you ate?   Maybe some food would settle your stomach."
 
Heather thought a minute, "The last real food we ate was a grilled cheese and a bowl of soup on Monday evening.      I ate a bite of biscuit and Jacob had some bacon at breakfast this morning and I think we both had a couple of bites of peanut butter and jelly at lunch today.   Neither of us were very hungry.      There wasn't any dinner at Kane's.   So I guess it's been a while.   But my stomach has been churning so much I don't think I could have kept it down anyway.   This tea will be fine.   Thanks."
 
Hawkins looked at her and smiled, "Alright Heather.   Why don't you tell us what happened."
 
She took a deep breath, picked up her tea cup and started, "Jacob and I decided to go out to the ranch Sunday afternoon.   Oh my God, has it just been four days?" she said, taking a deep hitching breath, "we went to the ranch Sunday.    We went to the creek and while we were there a bad storm came through.   I swear I saw a funnel cloud.   I pulled Jacob into the cave to try to keep him safe but the entrance collapsed after the storm.    We walked for what seemed like forever until we saw light.    It was Jonah.   That's where Jacob almost got bit by a snake.  Jonah saved him, Jake.    He jerked Jacob away and killed the snake."    Heather closed her eyes and silent tears started flowing.   Heather leaned back into Jake.    She took a sip of tea.    
 
Gail returned from the kitchen and placed a bowl of rice sprinkled with cinnamon in front of her and filled her tea cup.     Heather ate some rice and sipped some more tea.    After she had herself under control she went on with her story.    "Ravenwood showed up.    Jonah whispered which passage to hide in and Jacob and I ran.    We didn't get very far.   Jacob stepped on a piece of glass and couldn't run.    I was going to pick him up and carry him but they caught up with us.    One of the men pulled the glass out of Jacob's foot."
 
"We found where that happened.   Jacob's sock and a piece of glass was left.     There was a lot of blood there, Heather, more than what would have happened with a cut foot.   What happened?"  Hawkins prodded, lightly.
 
Heather looked at him for a minute and then looked away, playing with her tea cup, "Someone got hurt," she said, barely loud enough to be heard.     Jake and Johnston looked at each other across the table.    They both wondered what happened and both felt they knew.
 
"The Ravenwood man who had pulled the glass out of Jacob's foot took us back to Goetz," Heather continued, skipping the rest of what happened in the tunnel.   "He threatened me, told me I was going to wish I was dead, and had them put us in the back of a truck.    They took us back to their compound.     I saw where we passed Black Jack but that's the only landmark I know.    I know it was on Route 40 going west."
 
"Ok, now I need for you to try to remember as accurately as you can.....  was the gate into the compound guarded by just men or were there dogs as well?"
 
"I never heard or saw any dogs."
 
"Alright.   Was the gate electric?"
 
"Yes, I couldn't see it but I heard it.   The fence around the place was at least 10 feet tall and there was razor wire on top."
 
He handed her a piece of paper.  "Draw what you remember about the front of the building.   It's alright if it isn't much.   Just what you remember."
 
When Heather took the pencil, her hands were shaking so badly she couldn't draw.   She put the pencil down, drew her hand into a fist, bowed her head and took several deep breaths.   Jake pulled out a chair, sat down beside her and took her hand.   "It's OK, " he told her, "take your time."
 
"I can't take my time," she said, her voice rising and her eyes overly bright, "we have to save our son.   I have to get through this."    She picked up the pencil and began to draw.    When she finished she handed the paper back to Hawkins.
 
"So you only saw the one set of doors?   What about windows?"
 
"Yes," Heather said, "there were windows.   On either side of the door there were banks of windows."
 
Hawkins smiled at her and patted her arm, "You're doing very good.   Do you need to take a break?"
 
She turned slightly in her chair, "Mr. Hawkins, listen to me.    Those men are planning on taking Jacob and selling him to a man who will do awful, horrible things to him.    Do....you....understand?    I can not take a break.   We have got to get him."
 
Jake squeezed her hand, "Ok, Baby, we know.   We're going to get him this morning.   I promise.    Go on if you're ready."    
 
Heather looked at Hawkins and continued, "They took us in the front door and took us down a hallway, the one to the right, and put us in a room."
 
Suddenly, she shoved her chair back and ran to the bathroom.    They heard the water come on but it didn't quite cover the sound of Heather being sick.   Gail went to her.      
 
Eric looked at Johnston, "What do you think happened in that tunnel, Dad?"
 
Johnston and Jake looked at each other and nodded slightly.   "She mentioned a gun earlier but I didn't go into it," Jake said.
 
"I think Heather did what she had to do to protect Jacob.    Nothing more needs to be said about it.  Ever," Johnston said.   "What's done is done and it's over as far as I'm concerned.    Those men were trying to hurt her and Jacob and she tried to protect them."     Jake nodded in agreement.
 
"She's a tough kid, Jake.   Do you think you're gonna be able to handle a woman who will get right up in your face and fight back, " Jonah said, smiling.
 
"I think I can handle it, Jonah, but thanks for your concern," Jake said, smiling slightly.
 
Gail helped Heather back to her chair.   "Gentlemen, can we wrap this up.   Heather needs to go to bed."
 
Heather looked at Gail, "What do you mean, go to bed?    I'm going with them."
 
"No you're not," Jake, Johnston and Gail all said at the same time.
 
"How are you going to know where he is?" she asked, looking around at all of them.
 
"You're going to tell us," Hawkins said.   "Ok, so when you went in, they took you down the hall to the right?"  
 
Heather nodded.   "Goetz called it the interrogation room.     Some men brought us food.    After we ate Goetz came in and they forced me to leave.    That's when they put me in a cell."
 
"How did you get to the cells?"
 
Heather saw that he was drawing a crude blueprint of the building from what she was telling him.      She turned the paper around and pointed, "There's a doorway right about there.   It opens up into another hallway.    There are two cells.   One on either side of the hall.     I was in the one to the left.   Jacob's in the other."    She bowed her head into her hands and started to cry again.    Jake rubbed her back, bent down and whispered in her ear, "Sssshhh it's ok.   Ssshhhh.   We're gonna get him.   Ssshhh."
 
She looked up, sniffed and continued, "It was a long time before they brought Jacob to his cell.   When they did, he was asleep.   He was dressed in different clothes, his hair was cut really short, his foot was bandaged and there was a new cast on his arm.  I overheard the guards talking.   The doctor had given him something to make him sleep while they did whatever it was they had to do to his foot.   It was hours before he woke up.     When he did finally wake up, Goetz took pictures of him and made him write a note to Jake."
 
Heather took a deep breath.   She looked at Jake.  He squeezed her hand.
 
"Do you know what they gave him?" Gail asked.
 
"No.   I never heard.    All I know is that he slept a really long time."
 
"Heather, in the pictures, there is a shackle around one of Jacob's ankles.    Do you know anything about that?"  Jake asked, looking at the floor.
 
"That was just for the picture.    I remember Goetz and his men laughing about that.    They thought it would make you more willing to do what they asked."
 
Jake slumped slightly in his chair as he let out a breath he had been holding, in a sigh of relief.
 
"Heather, we need to get back on track.   What happened next?" Hawkins asked.
 
"Get back on track?   Mr. Hawkins,  I've been wanting to get on track for hours!" she said, her voice rising again and tears filling her eyes.   She turned to Jake and started yelling, "When are you going to go get him?    Every minute we spend here is another minute they could be giving him to that bastard, Kane.    Go get him.   Stop talking about it and do it!"
 
"Damn it!  I know!" slamming his fist down on the table, "He's my son, Heather.    I want him home every bit as much as you do but I want to get him home without him being killed!" Jake yelled, angrily.   He immediately regretted it.    He knew Heather loved Jacob and that she was scared to death.
 
She bowed her head into her hands, her anger spent, and scrubbed her eyes with the heels of her hand.
 
Hawkins motioned Jake into the kitchen, "Jake, control yourself.    I have to know the layout of that building.   If I go in there blind, I could get him killed.   Talk to her.   Calm her down."
 
Jake nodded, "I know.   Give me a minute."    He stood in the kitchen a minute, trying to get himself under control.    He wanted to run out and do just what Heather said.   He wanted his son home.   He ached to hold him.    Jake took a deep breath.    They had to do this the right way or he might not ever see Jacob again.
 
Jake walked back to the table.    Everyone but Gail had gone into the living room to give them some privacy.    Gail sat holding Heather, rubbing her back and hair while she cried.   She gave Jake a disappointed look.    Jake nodded at his mother and sat down beside Heather.    "Babe, listen to me," he said, turning her so that she was facing him and taking her hands, "I'm sorry.    I shouldn't have yelled.   I'm scared, just like you are.    Jacob is my son too.   I want him home as much as you do but we can't go in there blind.    If we do then there is a chance he will get sho...hurt while getting him out.   Do you understand?"
 
She nodded and smiled weakly at him, "Ok, lets go on."
 
Jake motioned to Hawkins.   He and Johnston walked back over to the table and sat down.  
 
"Now, back to Tuesday afternoon.    What happened?" Hawkins asked, trying to gently pry information out of her.
 
Heather, still holding Jake's hand, continued, "I woke up Tuesday morning and saw the medic changing the dressing on Jacob's foot.   Jacob wouldn't speak to him.   He wouldn't even look at him.  He has a little bit of a stubborn streak," she said, looking at Jake.
 
"Yeah, just a little bit," he said, smiling.
 
"He wouldn't be your son if he didn't," Johnston said.
 
"Nothing really happened until after lunch.   Neither one of us had much of an appetite.   We took a few bites of peanut butter sandwiches and sipped on Cokes.    After lunch, Goetz showed up with Kane.    He had sold me.    They took me out of the cell and that's the last time I saw Jacob."
 
"Did you go out the way you came in?" Hawkins asked.
 
"No, they took me out the back way.   When you get back to the main hallway you can either go straight, which is the kitchen or down the hallway on the left.    That hallway takes you out the back door.    It looked like offices and sleeping quarters down that way."
 
"Did you ever look out the window while you were in your cell?   Is there anything around the compound?"
 
"Just corn.   I looked out, trying to see if we might escape that way but it was corn fields as far as the eye can see.    Oh...and that tall fence with razor wire."
 
"OK," Hawkins said, make notes and adjusting his drawing.    
 
"You left with Kane?   Did you see any kind of loading bay or service entrance?"
 
"No," Heather said, forehead wrinkled, "Oh, wait, you're right.   There was a loading bay.   It must have been by the kitchen door.    There were milk crates and pallets stacked there.   I had completely forgotten that."
 
"So, three entrances in.   Do you have any idea how many men there are out there?"
 
"Um...I don't know that.    More than 10 but less than 20 would be my guess."
 
Hawkins nodded at Heather, "That's good.   You're doing very good.    What happened when you left with Kane?"
 
"We went to his store at Black Jack.    I got out thru a skylight in the room I was in.     I stole Kane's car and drove back to the compound.   I was hoping I could sneak in and grab Jacob but there was no way.    There were armed guards and it was blazing with lights.    There is no way to sneak in there.    So I drove back here."
 
"Look at the map.    See if you can make some kind of guess as to where this place might be," Hawkins said, pushing the map towards her.
 
She looked.   Black Jack Fairgrounds was labeled in black.   She traced her finger over the road and pointed to an area, "My best guess would be somewhere around in here.    We didn't turn off the main road on our way there.    Where we turned was a private drive.   It went directly out to the compound.    It was 15 or so minutes past the fairgrounds."
 
Hawkins squeezed her arm, "You did very good.   I got the information I needed.   Thank you.  I know it was hard having to go through all that.   I'm going to do everything in my power to bring Jacob home today.   You have been through a lot.   Why don't you go rest."
 
"I can't rest.   I'm no use here.    I want to go with you.    I know where this place is.    I can help.    Please let me go.    I can just ride in the car."
 
"No," Jake said, quietly, "I won't risk losing you again.    You're home and you're safe.   I can't be distracted worrying about you.   For my sake, please stay here."
 
Heather nodded.   Silent tears coursing down her cheeks.    She got up.   Jake pulled her back into the chair, hugged her hand to his face and kissed her palm.   He mouthed, "I love you."   She cupped his cheek in her hand.   They put their foreheads together and stared at each other for a long minute before Heather turned away and let Gail lead her into the bedroom.
 
Johnston cleared his throat.    Their emotional display had embarrassed him.    
 
"Alright, we need to plan how to bring Jacob home," Johnston said, motioning everyone over.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Hawkins looked at Jake, "I know you are going to want to come with me.     You can, but we're going to do it my way.   Understand?"
 
Jake looked at Hawkins and narrowed his eyes.    He took a deep breath and nodded his head.
 
"I'm going too," Johnston said.
 
"No," Hawkins said, looking up at Johnston, "they expect you to be there.    If they don't see you at that bridge they'll know something is wrong."   He looked over at Eric, "You are going to stay at your father's side.    They'll need to see someone who they think is Jacob's father.    Go ahead and put the salt bags on the bridge.   Put them close to the Jericho side.   We want them out there on that bridge.    Jonah, your job is to hit the trucks on their way back.    Take everything and bring the people back to Jericho."
 
Johnston looked over at Jonah, "We'll be wanting that salt back, Jonah.    Take everything else as payment but the salt comes back.   Do you understand?    If I have to come looking for you, we'll have to have a talk about why Ravenwood was here in the first place."
 
Jonah looked at Johnston, trying to size him up, and smiled, "I think that can be arranged."
 
They sat until 6am planning how the day was going to go.      Jake and Hawkins decided to leave for the Ravenwood compound at 7am.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Jake walked into the bedroom.    It was just starting to get light outside.    He saw that Heather had finally gone to sleep.    As easy as he could, so he didn't wake her, he laid down beside Heather and gathered her in his arms.    It felt so good, so right, for her to be there.    
 
He kissed her shoulder and whispered, "I love you."
 
She snuggled into him, "I love you, too."
 
They both slept.   It was the first real sleep they had had in days.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Gail opened the door to the bedroom and saw Jake and Heather sleeping.    They looked so peaceful.     She walked over and touched Jake lightly on the arm.   His eyes opened instantly.
 
"Mr. Hawkins is here," she whispered.
 
Jake nodded his head.    He reached over and gently shook Heather's shoulder.    She slowly woke up, looked around and breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Jake.  
 
"I'm leaving," he said, bending over to put his shoes on, "we'll be back this evening.    I'll bring Jacob home, Heather, I promise."
 
He stood up and cupped her cheek with his hand, "Go back to sleep.   You need it."
 
She held on to his hand for a minute and kissed his palm, "Please be careful."
 
Jake walked out the front door and climbed into Hawkins' car.  
 
"Let's do it," Jake said, looking straight ahead.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
They drove in silence, each lost in thought.
 
Jake looked down at his hands and noticed a radio on the seat.
 
"What's that for?" he asked Hawkins, pointing to the radio.
 
"Before we left I found the Ravenwood compound on the satellite.   Darcy's keeping an eye on it."
 
The radio crackled loudly, making them both jump.
 
"Robert," Darcy's voice called, "they're loading up into two trucks.   I don't see a child with them."
 
"Thanks, Darcy," Hawkins said into the radio, "if you see anything else let me know.  Out."
 
"Looks like Heather was right," Hawkins said, looking at Jake.   "They never intended to give your boy back."
 
Jake nodded silently.  "Thank God for Heather.  She's so good," he thought, "I don't know what I would've done if I had lost her."  He pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned his head back.
 
Hawkins looked at Jake.    Jake looked bad.   Haggard didn't really begin to describe it.   It looked like he was barely holding on.    Hawkins could tell he was holding on too tight.   That kind of thing would get them all killed.
 
"Jake, stay frosty.   Going off half cocked will not accomplish anything.   You go in there with guns blasting, you will get him killed.   If you can't control it, you're going to have to stay in the car.   Things will be done my way.   Understand?"
 
Jake looked at Hawkins with narrowed eyes.   He took a deep breath, slowly let it out and nodded.   "He's right," Jake thought, "I gotta take it down a notch."
 
The radio crackled again.
 
"Rob, they're leaving," Darcy reported.
 
"Were you able to get any kind of idea of how many men there were?"
 
"At least 20.   They were in two trucks."
 
"Thanks, Darcy," Hawkins said, "keep an eye on it.  Out."
 
Hawkins looked at Jake, "If that many left and Heather's close to right about how many men were there, it should only be a skeleton crew left.   Shouldn't be too hard to get in and out."
 
Jake, in an attempt to take him mind off of what was coming, looked at Hawkins, "When did you and your wife get back together?"
 
Hawkins looked at him, shrugged and chuckled humorlessly, "About the time we decided our home is in Jericho."
 
Jake smiled crookedly, "Welcome to the neighborhood.   Watch out for the neighbors though, they can be a real pains."
 
"Yeah, always inviting me on hunting trips and rescue missions," Hawkins grinned in return.
 
Hawkins slowed and turned onto an unmarked dirt road.
 
"Where are you going?" Jake asked, alarmed.
 
"We're going in from the back."
 
Hawkins picked up the radio, turned it down one channel, and spoke into it, "They've left the compound.   I'll send more information when I get it.   You've probably got a couple of hours before they're there.   Out."
 
Hawkins turned it back and heard Darcy's voice, "Hello?  Are you there?"
 
"Yeah, I'm here.   What's going on?" Hawkins asked.
 
"Can Jake hear me?" Darcy asked.
 
Jake, who had been looking out the window lost in thought, looked sharply at the radio.   Hawkins handed it to  him.
 
"I'm here.   Is something wrong?" he asked with a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.
 
"I can see Jacob," Darcy answered.
 
"What? Where?" Jake asked.
 
"A man just brought him outside.   They're sitting on a bench at the side of the building.    They're eating but I can't tell what it is.    It looks like they're drinking Cokes.  I just thought you might want to know that he looks alright."
 
Jake let out the breath he had been holding, "Thank you," he said with relief.
 
**********     ***********     **********
 
Hawkins pulled the car to a stop and looked at Jake, "We have about another two miles til we park.    This is going to go down my way.   If you can't do that then you can stay here and guard the car.   Understand?"
 
He drew in a deep breath and looked at Hawkins, "I'm not a fu.....I'm not an idiot.  I got it," Jake said.
 
Hawkins watched the anger flash across Jake's face and narrowed his eyes, "Good."
 
Hawkins put the car in gear and drove slowly down a dirt road.   When he got to a "No Trespassing" sign he parked the car. "This is where we get out."    
 
Hawkins opened the trunk and handed Jake a pistol with a silencer.   He grabbed his black bag, flak jacket, a gun and wire cutters.
 
"We go thru here," Hawkins said, pointing at a chain link fence.
 
"OK....what exactly is your plan?" Jake asked.
 
"To stop right here and let me scout ahead," Hawkins said.   "I'll be right back."
 
Jake crouched on the ground.   He curled his hands into fists and forced himself to take slow deep breaths and calm down.  "Let him be ok.   Let him be ok."  he thought.
He heard gravel crunching.   Hawkins came around the side of the car to find Jake pointing the pistol at him, ready to shoot.
 
Hawkins raised his eyebrows and lifted his hands, "It's just me, Jake, calm down."  
 
Jake lowered the gun and let out his held breath, "Sorry," he said quietly.
 
"It looks like there are two guards outside.    I didn't see any kind of alarm on the fence and I don't see any sign of dogs.    We're going to cut the fence and go right in thru the kitchen door.    Are you sure you're up for this?"
 
"Damn it, would you quit asking me that?!  I'm fine," Jake said.
 
"Alright, let's go."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
They entered the loading bay area silently, like 2 cats on the hunt.    So far they hadn't encountered anyone.   Hawkins quickly glanced into the kitchen.   He saw one man sitting at a table eating.   He looked at Jake and held up one finger and pointed towards the table.     One silent shot later and the man was down.     Jake  and Hawkins moved into the kitchen.    They looked around and were amazed at the amount of food.   It was piled everywhere.     Jake and Hawkins looked at each other and could see the same question on each other's face, "Where did all this food come from?"
 
"According to Heather," Hawkins whispered and pointed at the door out of the kitchen, "if we go out that door and straight down the hall there should be another hall to our left.   He should be there unless they've put him somewhere else."    
 
Jake went out of the kitchen first with Hawkins covering him.    Directly to the right was a room full of monitors.   They could see every part of the compound, inside and out.   It looked like there were eight people.
 
They continued down the hall.      The door to the cell area was electric with a keypad instead of a lock.      Jake examined the pad.
 
"I can get through this.   Do you have anything in that bag to run a bypass?" he said to Hawkins.
 
Hawkins looked sharply at Jake.   Of all things Jake could have said, that was one thing he wasn't expecting.    He reached into the side pocket and pulled out clamps and a small battery powered  screwdriver.   He handed them to Jake without saying a word.    
 
The keypad was quickly unscrewed and the bypass run.   Jake obviously knew what he was doing.  
 
Hawkins shook his head and smiled, "Nice work."
 
"I did some electronic work a little east of here," Jake said, smirking.
 
"I've done a little in that area myself," Hawkins said, nodding.
 
Two Ravenwood men came in the front door.   They were soon lying on the floor.
 
Hawkins opened the door and went down the hall towards the cells.    Jake ran to the cell on the right side.     Jacob was sitting on the concrete slab drawing listlessly on a pad of paper.
 
Jake slumped in relief.    His son was there and he was breathing.
 
"Jacob!" Jake called softly.
 
Jacob looked up.    There was total lack of emotion on his face.    He turned away and continued drawing.
 
"Jacob!" Jake said louder in a panic.    He desperately tried to reach him through the bars.
 
There was absolutely no response from Jacob.
 
"Damnit, Jacob.   It's me.   It's Dad.   Come here! Now!"
 
Hawkins, going through the desk between the cells for a key, looked up at Jake.    There wasn't a key.   He had to get that door open before Jake lost it and got them all killed.    He opened his bag and pulled out a container of gray putty and what looked like thin black rope.
 
"Move away from the door, Jake.   I'll open it."
 
"What is that?   How're you opening the door?"
 
"Just a few household chemicals in the proper proportions.    There will be smoke and sparks but very little noise."
 
Hawkins placed putty on the three hinges and laced them together.
 
"Son," Hawkins called softly, "stay where you are.   This will take a minute to work.   As soon as the door opens, we're taking you home."
 
There was a sizzling, sparks and smoke.   Hawkins reached and pulled the bars away.
Jake pushed him to the side and ran into the room.    
 
He grabbed Jacob into a one sided tight hug and kissed his temple, "Oh, God, I thought I'd lost you."  
 
He sat him down and looked at him closely.   Jacob was very pale with deep dark circles under his eyes.    He wouldn't make eye contact.
 
"Hey, Buddy, it's ok.   We're gonna take you outta here."   He cupped back of Jacob's head and hugged him to him again, "Look at that hair.   I don't think your hair's been this short since you were a baby.   Grandpa's gonna love it."
 
Hawkins walked over, "Is he alright?"
 
"Yeah," Jake said, still hugging Jacob, "he's just been through a lot."
 
Hawkins handed Jake the flak jacket, "Put this on him and lets get out of here."
 
Jake wrapped the coat around his son and picked him up.    It was like picking up a padded stick.
 
The walked out into the hall and started out.    Three mercenaries, who had heard the commotion in the cellblock, were running towards them.   Hawkins reacted without hesitation.    The Ravenwood men were dead before they could pull a gun.   Jake covered Jacob's eyes with one hand and kept walking.
 
"There's still two unaccounted for.   Keep your eyes open," Hawkins said as they walked down the hall and into the kitchen.    Hawkins spotted a medic's bag on the table beside the first dead man.   He picked it up and kept walking.
 
They walked outside into the bright sunlight and ran quickly across the compound.   Before they could get through the fence the two outside guards spotted them and opened fire.   Bullets hit the ground all around them.  
 
Hawkins pulled the fence back and waved Jake through, "Get him outta here.  Go on."
 
After Jake ran thru and was clear, Hawkins reached into his black bag and pulled out a grenade.   He pulled the pin and waited until the guards were in range and threw it.
 
Hawkins ran towards the car to find Jake pointing a gun at him again, "You're just determined to shoot me today, aren't you.   Put that thing away."
 
Jake got into the front seat and hugged Jacob to him.   Rubbing his back and softly talking to him.
 
Hawkins reached into the front seat and picked up the radio, turned it down one channel and walked to the trunk of the car, "We're clear and we have the boy.   Out."
 
"Gotcha.   Everything is taken care of.   Road's clear all the way to Jericho."
 
Hawkins got in and started the car.   He reached over patted Jacob's leg, "Let's get you home."
 
He keyed the radio again, "Darcy?  Are you there?"
 
"Robert?  I lost the satellite feed about 30 minutes ago.   What's going on??"
 
"We have Jacob.   Everyone's safe and we're coming home.   Out."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Heather woke up.    She laid in bed trying to go back to sleep but it was no use.   She dressed in her favorite jeans and Jake's 1990 Jericho Red Raiders baseball sweatshirt and walked out of the bedroom.
 
Gail was sitting on the sofa knitting and trying to keep her mind off the men in her life.   She looked up when she heard the bedroom door open.    She smiled when she saw Heather wearing Jake's sweatshirt.   Heather was still pale with dark circles under her eyes.   Gail decided to watch her and if need be nicely "persuade" (or bully if you were to ask the Green men) Heather to go to the doctor.
 
"Hi, Honey.   Were you able to get any rest?"
 
"Not after Jake left.   Every time I dozed off I would see Jake or Jacob getting hurt and wake back up.   I'm too worried to sleep.   Maybe tonight," Heather said, walking over to the sofa and sitting down.  "What are you doing, " she asked, pointing to a mound of navy yarn on Gail's lap.
 
Gail passed an afghan to Heather, "It's still chilly and you're bare footed.   Cover up so you don't catch your death of cold.    I'm knitting a sweater for Jacob.    Actually, I'm just trying to kill time.   Knitting does that.    Do you know how?"
 
"I can crochet.   Well, I can make one really long and very tight chain.   Two needles are too intimidating," Heather said with a faint smile.
 
Gail reached into her bag and pulled out another pair of knitting needles and handed them to Heather with a ball of yellow yarn.
 
"Any woman married to a Green man needs a way to occupy her mind and kill time.   Those hunting and fishing trips last forever.   Johnston is already planning Jacob's first hunting trip next winter, by the way," Gail said trying to smile reassuringly.
 
For the next two hours, Gail taught Heather the basics of knitting.   Heather looked at the clock and saw that it was only 2 o'clock.   She looked at Gail and moaned a sound of frustration.
 
Gail patted her leg and smiled tightly, "I know, Dear, I know.   We have to think positive.   All of our men, big and small, will be home by this evening."   She pulled out four small needles, "Let me show you how to knit a sock."
 
Heather took a deep breath and reached for the needles.
 
Almost an hour later, Heather had gotten the hang of the 4 needles and was well on her way to a sock.... lumpy and uneven but a sock nonetheless.     Heather held it up for Gail to see.  
 
"I guess this one's mine," Heather said, laughing,  "Jake may love me, but even that's not going to get him to wear this thing."
 
Gail hugged her, "You'll get better, I promise."
 
There was a knock on the front door.  
 
Heather looked at Gail and smiled, "I'll get it."   She put her knitting down and stood up.   She was so woozy she fell back onto the couch.    She dropped her head into her hands.   "Woo, guess I got up a little too fast."
 
"Sit there and don't move," Gail said, pointing at Heather.   She went to the door.   It was Darcy Hawkins.
 
"Hi, Mrs. Green," Darcy said as Gail motioned her in.
 
Gail walked back over to the Heather and knelt down in front of her.   "Honey, are you ok?"
 
"I'm fine.   Just a little dizzy."
 
Darcy walked into the living room and looked at Heather, "I thought you might need some good news.   Robert radioed a few minutes ago.   They have your little boy and are on the way home."
 
Heather smiled, the first real smile she had smiled in a long time, and attempted to get up so she could hug Darcy.    The dizziness was too much.   She swayed and sat back down.
 
"Are you ok?" Darcy asked, concern in her voice.
 
"No, she's not.   Would you mind helping me get her to the car?   She's going to the clinic," Gail said.
 
"Mom, I'm fine.   I just got up too fast.   I don't need to go to the clinic."
 
"Well, just call me overprotective.   You were kidnapped, didn't eat for what, two days, you risked your life to escape from a...a ... pimp,  you've been throwing up and now you can't stand up without getting dizzy.   You're going to the clinic.   Don't argue with me."
 
"I think she's right.   You need to go and let the doctor look at you," Darcy said.
 
Gail and Darcy helped a still dizzy Heather to the car.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Johnston, Eric, Jimmy Taylor and several members of the border patrol were at the Tacoma Bridge.   They all stood around in little groups talking.
 
"Eric," Johnston started, "how are things with Mary?"
 
"Fine," Eric said, smiling, "she's very happy I'm home."
 
"I bet," Johnston said with a chuckle.  "You need to start coming around the house again.   Bring Mary.   Your mother misses you.    If Mary's going to be in your life, we need to get to know her.    I helped her out a little while you were in New Bern.   She's a nice girl.   You need to treat her like someone you're proud of... not something you need to hide."
 
Eric dropped his head in embarrassment, "I know, Dad.   I just wanted everyone to get used to the idea.   It'll be hard for mom.   She and April were really close."
 
"She can be close to Mary too.   The longer you wait, the more awkward it's gonna be."
 
"Dad, you're talking to be like I'm this bad little boy who needs to be scolded.   What about Jake?   Have you talked to him?    Does he have an excuse for being gone?   What about Jacob?   Why didn't he bring him around?   Want to talk about awkward?"
 
"Your brother has nothing to be ashamed of, Eric.    He's a good man now.   He grew up while he was away.    I don't care what he did while he was gone.   Whatever it was matured him and turned him into someone I'm proud of.    He's a good father.    There's nothing wrong with the way that boy's been raised."
 
Eric snorted, "Yeah, raised by a nanny."
 
"However he was raised, it was what was best for him.   Jake knew that and took care of business and saw that his child was cared for," Johnston said, grabbing Eric's arm and looked him square in the eye.   "It takes a lot for a man like your brother to recognize the need for and accept help, Eric.    We're gonna have at least one wedding soon.   You and Jake are brothers.   It's time to get past this crap and set an example of how brothers are supposed to be."
 
Eric dropped his eyes in defeat, "I know."
 
The radio crackled with static, "Dad?"
 
"Yeah, Son.  What's going on?"
 
"We'll be there in about 15 minutes.   Is the bridge clear yet?   We need to get Jacob to the clinic."
 
"Jake, Ravenwood hasn't showed up."
 
"What?" Jake said with surprise, "They never showed up?"
 
"No one has been here at all today."
 
"Whatever, we'll be there soon.   Can you move enough of the salt for us to get thru?"
 
"No problem.   Is he alright, Jake?" Johnston asked, trying to keep the worry out of his voice.
 
"He will be."
 
The radio went silent.
 
Ten minutes later, they heard a vehicle.   Everyone raised a gun, just in case it was Ravenwood.   Hawkins' car sped across the bridge.
 
Johnston waved them to a stop.   He looked in the car and saw a very pale Jake and Jacob.
 
"Jake, they never showed up.   What does that mean?" Johnston asked.
 
"I don't have a clue.   Maybe they changed their mind.    Clear out the salt and leave some border guys.   I think we're done," Jake said.   "We'll talk later.   I need to get Jacob to town."
 
Hawkins put the car in gear and headed into Jericho.
 
Johnston looked at Eric, "Clear everything up here and take the salt back to the mine.   I'm sure Gray is missing every grain."
 
Johnston got in his truck and drove straight to the clinic.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Jake carried Jacob into the Jericho Medical Clinic.   Jacob was pasty, pale with large black circles under his eyes.    He lay limply, hugged against Jake's chest all the way into the lobby.    He had hardly spoken during the trip back from the Ravenwood compound, sitting quietly looking out the car window instead.
 
"I'm sorry, Dad," Jacob whispered.
 
"For what, Honey?   You haven't done anything," Jake said, hugging Jacob tighter and trying to reassure him.
 
"For not being polite.   If I hadda been polite, the Commander wouldn't have made Heather disappear."
 
Jake was confused, "Son, what are you talking about?"
 
"I was rude to the Commander.   I'm sorry," Jacob whispered again.
 
"Jacob everything's OK.   I promise.  We need to get you checked out and then we'll go home.   Everything's fine," Jake said.   He looked up and saw Heather walking towards them.
 
"Jacob!" Heather cried, running towards Jake and the little boy.
 
Jacob's head popped up, the blank, empty expression on his face began to break up.   He turned and caught sight of Heather.    Suddenly he started fighting to get out of Jake's arms.    Jake staggered back in surprise.    Jacob broke Jake's grip and started a limping run towards Heather.    She caught him and lifted him in a fierce hug.
 
"Mama!" Jacob screamed, hysterically hugging her and crying.    "He said you were dead.    He said it was my fault because I was rude."
 
"No, I'm OK," she said quietly, making eye contact with Jake.    He saw a fierce mother's love there.
 
Jake walked towards them.   He caught sight of Becca standing back in a doorway watching.    She was hugging herself and crying.   He couldn't help it.   He felt a stab of happiness seeing that.    Jacob had a mother....and it very obviously wasn't her.
 
He looked back at his family and smiled.    The life had come back into Jacob.   That pasty paleness was gone.
 
He looked at Jacob and tapped his shoulder, "Hey, how about a little hug action for your dear old Dad?   Let me carry you," he said, taking him out of Heather's arms.   "You're a little big for Mom to be holding," he said, teasingly, looking deep into Heather's eyes and stroking her cheek.
 
They walked slowly to the waiting room and sat down.   Johnston and Gail were standing there.   They had witnessed the reunion.   Gail was crying happily and Johnston was trying to maintain control but his eyes were curiously bright.      Everything they had ever wanted for Jake had just happened.
 
Johnston looked at his grandson and smiled.   "Whatcha wearing there, Son?" he asked, pointing to the flak jacket that reached his knees.
 
Jacob looked down, seeming to notice it for the first time, "It's a bullet coat.  Dad made me wear it in case someone tried to shoot us.   There was a lot of dead people there.    He tried to cover my eyes but I saw some of them anyway.   They were all bloody."
 
"Why don't we take that off.    You'll be more comfortable," Johnston said reaching over and unfastening it.
 
Dr. Kenchy Dhuwalia walked into the waiting room pushing a wheel chair and knelt in front of Jacob, "So, my little friend, you are back in my ER again.   Why don't we go and have a look at this," he said, pointing at Jacob's foot, "and talk a little bit.   You'll be as good as new in no time."   He held out his hand and Jacob hesitantly took it, looking back at Jake.   Jake nodded reassuringly at him.   Jake started to get up and follow them down the hall but Kenchy shook his head slightly, "This is a man to man talk between friends."
 
After they had disappeared into the treatment room, Jake looked over at Gail, "What was that all about?"
 
"He's going to talk to Jacob about what happened and examine him if need be," she said, looking at Jake pointedly.
 
"Oh.  OH!   Heather, you don't think?" Jake said, with a horrified expression on his face.
 
"No, I don't think so.   It didn't appear as if that is what they were after.   Guards came down the hall three times a day to bring food and do dressing changes on his foot.   There was never anyone else in there," she said, trying to sound reassuring.   She laced her fingers with his and squeezed his hand, leaning into his shoulder.
 
He leaned down and kissed her on the top of the head, "Not that I'm not happy to see you, but why're you here?   Is something wrong?"
 
"I got a little dizzy this afternoon.    Mom made me come.   Turns out, I was a little dehydrated," Heather said with a small smile.   "I've had an IV and now I'm all fixed," she said, smiling.
 
An hour later, Jacob came down the hall on crutches followed by Kenchy.   Jake looked up at Dr. Dhuwalia questioningly.   Kenchy shook his head slightly.   "Everything looks good.    The arm is healed so I removed the cast.    His foot looks really good.    The person who was caring for it did a good job.    He'll have to be on crutches for a few days while the cut heals but that's all," he said, smiling at Jacob and ruffling his hair.   "There don't appear to be any other problems."
 
Becca Lawson walked into the waiting room carrying a tube of medicine and several boxes of gauze.    
 
Kenchy took it from her and said, "Thank you Mrs. Lawson."    He handed the supplies to Jake, "Change the dressing twice a day and put this antibiotic cream on it."
 
Jake nodded absently not taking his eyes off Becca.   He saw her hesitantly reach out to touch Jacob and pull her hand back.  
 
"You're very brave," Becca said, very quietly, to Jacob.
 
"Thanks," Jacob said, shyly, leaning back into Heather, "so was my Mom."
 
"Your Mom is very lucky to have a little boy who loves her so much."
 
Heather smiled and kissed him on the temple, "Yes, I am."
 
Jacob rolled his eyes, "Ma....not in front of everbody."
 
The tension was broken.   Everyone chuckled, except Becca who tried to make a graceful exit.   The Green family went home.
 
**********     **********     **********
 
Later that evening, everyone was sitting in the living room, enjoying being together as a family.    Eric had brought Mary and after a small bit of nervous conversation, everyone relaxed.    
 
There was a knock on the door.
 
Jake got up to answer.    He came back in the living room with an envelope and a strange look on his face.     He motioned for Johnston and Eric to follow him.    They went into the kitchen and Jake emptied the envelope on the counter.     There was a Ravenwood patch, a name patch with Goetz embroidered on it, two spent bullet casings and a note.
 
Jake picked the note up and read it aloud,
 
Jake,
 
The Ravenwood problem has been fixed.
Congratulations on your wedding.   She's
a pretty girl.    Good luck.
 
Jonah
 
Johnston picked the patches and bullet casings up and deposited them in the trash.   He looked at Jake, "Sometimes the Devil ain't that bad a guy."
 
**********     **********     **********
 
By that night, Jacob was pretty much back to his old self.   Jake and Heather weren't quite ready to let him out of their sight yet, so Jake put him on
the sofa bed in his and Heather's bedroom.
 
At midnight, Jake and Heather were sitting up in bed, watching Jacob and talking.
 
"Jake?" Heather said.
 
"Hmmm?" Jake answered, hugging Heather close to him.
 
"I was thinking about our wedding."
 
"What about it?"
 
"I think we need to get married soon."
 
"We can get married anytime you want to.   Just tell me when and where and I'll show up."
 
"Were you doing anything tomorrow?"
 
Jake chuckled quietly, "Don't want to waste any time, huh?   That's fine with me but my mother will have a heart attack.   Do you know how many years she's wanted to plan a wedding?"
 
"We might be able to wait a few more days but no longer than a week, OK?"
 
He smiled, "That sounds good to me.   But tell me, what's the sudden hurry?   It's not like either one of us is going anywhere."
 
"Well, it's just that, Jake..........turns out we're a little bit pregnant."

**********     **********     **********     **********

Thanks for reading my story!! I hope you like it. Feedback is always welcome and appreciated!!!