- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

Special thanks to Marzee, Nightsky and JT.    They are great to work with.   I don't think I could have gotten this one done without them!!!


***********************************************

CHAPTER 19--  "A Happy Beginning"

The evening had been good.    After getting home from the clinic they had managed to shut out the craziness that had been their world for the last 7 months for just a little while.   Johnston and Gail had told Heather and Mary all kinds of stories about Jake and Eric.   After the events of the last few weeks, they had needed laughter and good feelings.    Jake, whether he was aware of it or not, hadn't let Jacob out of his sight and he had either held Heather's hand or had his arm around her the whole evening.

At a quarter to eleven, Jacob laid down on the couch with his head in Heather's lap.   He pulled her arm around him and promptly fell asleep.   This was not lost on Gail.   She nudged Johnston in the side and nodded her head towards the couch.   He would never wonder about who that boy's mother was again.    His mother was holding him and softly stroking his cheek.    Johnston had caught an almost secret smile on Heather's face several times that evening.    She was almost glowing with peacefulness.   Johnston glanced at Jake.    He couldn't believe the difference in the man that sat in front of him now and the smartass punk who had run away from Jericho.    He liked this man.   The person in front of him was a mature family man, willing to do whatever it took to keep them safe.    Six years ago he was concerned with Jake and Jake only.   Now he put Heather and Jacob first.

Johnston watched Jake reach out, brush Jacob's bangs back and then lean down and whisper something in Heather's ear that made her giggle.

Johnston smiled to himself, hugged Gail and kissed her temple.   Yes, he admitted, he was very proud of the man sitting in front of him.

Jake stood up, stretched and picked Jacob up, "I'm gonna take him up to bed.   He's had a really long day."

Eric smiled, "A really long week you mean."   He stood up and held his hand out to Mary, "You ready to head home?"   Mary nodded.

"Jake," Heather said, calling after Jake as he started towards the stairs, "put him on the sofa bed in our room, just for tonight."    She blushed slightly, "I'm just not quite ready to have him out of my sight yet."

Jake sighed in relief, "I'm not either."   He turned and took him into his and Heather's bedroom.

Jake woke Jacob up just enough to help him put pajamas on.    He couldn't help it.... he knew that Kenchy had examined Jacob and found no problems but he had to confirm for his own peace of mind that nothing had happened to his son.      He helped Jacob pull a shirt over his head, breathing a sigh of relief when he saw that, except for his injured foot, there wasn't a scratch.

He got him tucked in and walked back into the living room.   Eric and Mary had left and Johnston and Gail were getting ready to head up to their bedroom.

Johnston pulled Jake aside, "If anything happens and you need me, you know where I am."

"Thanks, Dad," Jake said.

Johnston and Gail disappeared up the stairs and it was just Jake and Heather left.   He smiled at her and held out his hand.

"You ready to get some sleep?" Jake said.

"Definitely," Heather said.

Jake took her hand and pulled her into a tight hug.

"God you feel good.   I thought I'd lost you.   Don't ever leave me again," Jake said, tilting her face up and kissing her softly.

**********     **********     ********** 

They were both sitting on the bed by midnight...ready for bed but just quite able to give it up.     

Heather looked at Jacob and smiled when she saw his very short hair, "Ya know, before this whole thing started I tried to get him to let me cut his hair.   I told him how hot it was going to get this summer but he wouldn't hear it.   It wasn't happening."

"Yeah, he's always been very particular about his hair.   This just isn't his kinda 'do.   Dad's yes, Jacob's no.   He is very into the skateboarder style.  But, it'll definitely be cooler."

She reached out and brushed Jake's bangs out of his eyes, "I could trim yours too."

"What's wrong with my hair?  I like it like this," Jake said, grinning.

Heather smiled softly, "Your mother is right.   You two are just alike."    She looked back at Jacob, "It's amazing Jake, he seems to be back to his old self.   I can't believe he would go through all that and not have residual effects."

"Heather," Jake said, getting a serious look on his face, "you didn't see him when we got there.    It was heartbreaking and terrifying at the same time.   There was nothing there.   I mean nothing.   It was like carrying a padded stick.    He didn't come out of it til he saw you at the medical center.    It wouldn't surprise me if he woke up screaming.   We'll just hope he doesn't."     He laid down and pulled Heather into a hug, "It wouldn't surprise me if you had nightmares too.    Do you want to talk about it?"

"Huh uh, not tonight," Heather said, "I just want to enjoy being here with you and Jacob."

They lay silently for a while, content to just be together.

"Jake?" Heather said.

"Hmmm?" Jake answered in a half doze.

"I was thinking about our wedding."

"What about it?"

"I think we need to get married soon."

"We can get married anytime you want to.   Just tell me when and where and I'll be there."

"Were you doing anything tomorrow?"

Jake chuckled quietly, "Don't want to waste any time, huh?   That's fine with me but my mother will have a heart attack.   Do you know how many years she's wanted to plan a wedding?"

"We might be able to wait a few more days but no longer than a week, Okay?"

He smiled, "That sounds good to me.   But tell me, what's the sudden hurry?   It's not like either of us is going anywhere."

"Well, it's just that, Jake...........turns out we're a little bit pregnant," Heather said quietly, picking at a loose thread on the quilt.

He held Heather, silently stunned.   Several different emotions hit him at once.   He was excited but he was scared to death at the same time.   What if she hadn't been able to escape from those people?   What if she had been hurt?   What if she had been killed?

"Jake?" she whispered, turning over and looking up at him uncertainly, with tears in her eyes.

He reached out and stroked his thumb across her cheek.

"Pregnant?" he whispered.

Jake pulled her tightly against him and hugged her fiercely, burying his face in her hair.   He held her, unable to let her go.   He couldn't believe how much he loved her.   Jake held her for what could have been hours or minutes, all he knew was that he never wanted to let her go.

"What are you feelin'?" Heather asked, her voice uncertain.

"Surprised, shocked," Jake said stunned,  "scared to death?  Take your pick.    What if you hadn't gotten away?    What if they'd hurt you?"

He rolled over onto his back and dug the heels of his hands into his eyes.   Suddenly, he started laughing, "A baby?   Our baby.    God, I love you," he said pulling Heather against him.    "Now about the wedding?  How soon did you want to have it?"

**********     **********     **********

 
It was starting to get light when Jake woke up hearing Jacob moaning in his sleep.    Jacob was twisting and turning in the bed, locked in a nightmare.    He had kicked all the blankets off.    Jake slid out of bed, walked over the sofa bed and knelt beside his son.

"Hey, shhh, shhh," Jake said, rubbing Jacob's back, "it's OK.  You're home.   Everything's alright. Shhh."   He continued to rub his back until he settled back into a deep sleep.    Jake pulled the covers back over Jacob.

He slid back into bed.   Heather immediately snuggled back into his side, her head  resting on his heart.  He ran his fingers through her hair and hugged her closer to him.

He smiled thinking of the night before.   A baby, he couldn't believe it.   He lay there unable to believe how excited he was.   He was savoring the idea.     It was so different when he had found out about Becca being pregnant.

He let his mind wander back to the afternoon of December 31, 1998.    That was a day he would never forget.    He had just finished a job for Jonah and was getting ready to head to Emily's for a New Year's Eve party.    He was sitting at the drive thru at McDonalds when his cell phone rang.

"Jake, it's Becca."

"Hi, Bec, what's up?" Jake thought he knew.   It was New Year's Eve and he was pretty sure she wanted to party.

"Jake, I'm pregnant."

He felt like he had been kicked in the stomach.   He started counting.

"Bec, it's been months since we've been together.   You need to find someone else to point the finger at.   It ain't mine."

"Jake, I'm eight months pregnant.   He's yours.    There's problems and they're going to do a c-section at 7 o'clock.   I just thought you should know, in case I die or somethin'.   Jake, I'm alone.   No one would come with me."

"How can you be positive it's mine?"

"Because I've never been with anybody else Jake.   You were my first and only."

Jake felt a sinking sensation.   That Big Mac was making him distinctly sick.    He took a long drink of Coke and laid his head back against the seat.   'How do I always manage to get myself into impossible situations?' he asked himself, sighing and pounding his fist on the steering wheel.

"Okay, Becca, what hospital are you at?  I'm comin'," Jake said, resigned to his fate.

He hung up and punched 2 on his speed dial.

"Hey, Em, somethin's come up.   I ain't gonna make it tonight."

Jake made it to the hospital with 15 minutes to spare.   He walked in Becca's hospital room and saw them getting her ready.

"Mr. Lucas, you made it," a nurse said.

"I'm Mr. Green," Jake said.

"Alright, Mr. Green, let me get you some scrubs.   You can go in for the delivery."

Twenty minutes later Jake was walking between a doctor and two nurses while carrying a screaming three and a half pound bundle to the nursery.

He laid the baby on the bed and stepped back.   

The Nursery nurse looked up at him and smiled, "Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a baby look as much like his Daddy.   You can touch him.   He won't bite."

Jake reached out tentatively and touched the baby's hair.   His hair was jet black, stood straight up and was so soft.    The baby, who was screaming the loudest in the nursery, grabbed his finger.   He stopped crying and looked up Jake, sizing him up.    Jake was in love with his son.

"Mr. Green, I'm Dr. Roberts, everything looks good with your son but he's only 3 1/2  pounds and that's too little to stay in Rogue River.    We've called the children's hospital in Denver.   They're sending a transport team.   You're welcome to follow them over but mom will have to stay here for a few more days."

"Okay," Jake said, studying the baby and gently stroking his hand.

"We're gonna need you to step out for a few minutes so we can get some lab work and start an IV.    Give us about 20-30 minutes and you can come back."

Jake nodded and reluctantly pulled his finger out of the baby's grasp.   A nurse showed him how to get out and he went to talk to Becca.

Becca looked at Jake when he walked in the room.

"Have you seen him?   Is he alright?"

"He's little," Jake said, smiling, "but very loud.   He's too little to stay here so they're sending him to Denver.    We need to give him a name.    Have you decided on anything?"

"I was thinking Prescott, Ridge or Slade."

"You're kidding, right?" Jake asked, shaking his head

"No, I'm not. What do you want it to be?" Becca asked, frowning.

"Not something that comes off of a soap opera."

"What's your whole name, Jake?"

"Johnston Jacob."

"He'll be Johnston Jacob Jr. and we'll call him Johnston."

"That'll be Johnston Jacob III and he will never be called Johnston.  Period."

"Okay.   We could call him Stoney?" Becca said.

"How about Jacob?"

Jake was pulled out of his memories by Heather talking in her sleep.

"No, I won't leave him.    Don't make me go with Kane."

Jake pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head, "SShhhh, it's alright.   Kane's not gonna hurt you ever again."    Jake's face changed to a hard mask.   She would never have to worry about that son of a bitch again.

Heather settled back against him and fell back into a deep sleep.   Jake dozed off holding her.   

Heather woke up a little later with an overwhelming sense of nausea.   She had to get to the bathroom.    She slipped out of Jake's arms and ran for the toilet.   

She came out with a cool, wet washcloth held to her mouth and found Gail waiting beside the door with a handful of peppermint candy.    Gail put her arms around Heather and hugged her tightly.

"This'll help," Gail said, holding out a peppermint.  "Do you know how far along you are?"

Heather looked at Gail, shocked, "How did you know?"

"Honey, I've been pregnant.    I was sick for 9 months with Jake.   Each and every day until he was born."

"I'm eight weeks.   Please don't say anything yet, especially to Jacob.   I want Jake and I to tell him together."

"Not a word, Sweetheart, not a word.   I'm so happy," she said, hugging Heather again.    "How about we have the wedding tomorrow?   We can explain it that after everything that has happened you didn't want to wait anymore."

"Yes, that's a wonderful idea," Heather said, smiling.

"Why don't you go back to bed.   Let your stomach settle and then we'll plan a wedding!"

Heather quietly opened the bedroom door and slipped back into bed.   

"Are you alright," Jake said, in a very sleepy voice.

"I'm perfect.   Your mom and I decided to have the wedding tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" Jake said, waking up fully.   "What made my mother decide that?"

"She figured out our little secret," Heather said, finding Jake's hand, and moving it to her abdomen, smiling shyly.

"Nothing gets past her," Jake said, grinning, "it was hell being her kid."

"Okay," Heather said, "We need to get a marriage license, find a suit for you and for Jacob, make sure the minister's free...."

Jake kissed her, "Later, it's too early to start planning.   Go back to sleep."

Jake closed his eyes and pretended to go to sleep.   He waited until Heather was deeply asleep and lightly snoring before slipping out of bed.   He silently dressed and  walked out of the bedroom.   He had almost made it out the front door when Johnston came down the stairs.

"Jake, where're you goin?"

"Out.  I have an errand to run."

"What's goin' on Jake?" Johnston asked.   The look on Jake's face worried him.

"You don't want to know, Dad, trust me.   I'll be home by supper."

"Jake, you're getting married tomorrow.   You have certain responsibilities now."

"I know.   That's why I have to take care of this today."   

"Be careful.    You don't know what might be out there."

"I'll see you tonight, Dad."

Jake pulled his jacket off the hook and walked out the door.     He snorted and shook his head when he saw Hawkins' car pulled in behind his Roadrunner.   

"Figured you'd be heading out this morning.   I wanted to make sure you didn't miss your wedding.    Thought I'd come along.   "

"Hawkins, this isn't a rescue mission."

"I know," Hawkins said, pulling open his coat to reveal a pistol, "it's a hunting trip."

"Wedding's tomorrow," Jake said, pulling his jacket off, throwing it in the backseat and getting in the car, "You're all invited."

"Sounds good," Hawkins said, getting in behind the drivers seat and starting the car.   "Let's hit the road."



**********     **********     **********

Heather woke up finally feeling rested.   She looked over at the clock at saw it was 9:30.   'Yikes,' she thought, 'I never sleep this late!'   She looked over at Jacob's bed.   He was still asleep.   She smiled to herself, he was sleeping with his arm thrown across his eyes...just like Jake.   They were so much alike it was scary.     She stretched and her hand hit a piece of paper taped to the headboard.

She pulled it down and read the note

Heather,

I have a few things I need to take
care of.   See you tonight.
Love you,
J

She pulled on her robe and quietly left the bedroom.    Heather could hear Johnston and Gail in the kitchen.     She walked into the kitchen.   The smell of coffee was almost too much for her but she was able to control the nausea this time.   

Johnston smiled at her.    He got up and gave her a hug.

"Heather, have I ever told you how lucky I think Jake is to have found you?   Congratulations.   By the way, I would really like a granddaughter to complete the set," he said, chuckling.

"I'll keep that in mind," Heather said, smiling, "I'll think girl thoughts but you really should've put your order in with your son a couple of months ago."

Johnston snorted in laughter, "I'll keep that in mind next time around."

Heather poured herself a cup of coffee and sat down at the table, "By the way, where is Jake?"

Gail took the coffee cup out of Heather's hand and shook her head, "You my dear are officially on the wagon.    What do you mean "where's Jake?"  Isn't he in the bedroom?"

"No, he left a note saying he had some stuff to take care of and he would see me tonight."

"He skipped out on the preparations?   I'm gonna skin him," Gail said, exasperated.

"Now, Gail, you know that this is something for women," Johnston said, smiling.  "Jake isn't stupid.    He knows when to stay out of the way.   He'll be home tonight."

"You knew about this?" Gail asked.

"Yes. I talked to him before he left this morning," Johnston said, standing up and putting his hat on.   "On that note, I'm gonna take my grandson and do the same thing.   We'll be home later."

"Johnston don't you dare leave.   We can't do this alone."

"Sure you can.   I have all the faith in the world in you and Heather to make this a gorgeous wedding."

Johnston walked out of the kitchen and Heather and Gail heard him waking Jacob up.

**********     **********     ***********

Heather and Gail sat hunched over the kitchen table comparing lists.   It was just starting to get dark.

"Okay, so we have Emily Taylor for Flower Girl and Jacob for Ring Bearer.    Bonnie will be Maid of Honor.    I am assuming Stanley will be Best Man.    I am also assuming that is one of the errands Johnston and Jacob were taking care of today.    We've got your dress.   I went thru all the closets and between Jake, Eric and Johnston, there's a suit for Jake.   Margaret brought Woody's suit for Jacob.   Eric's playing the piano.   Reverend Dabbs is a friend of the family so he's agreed to do the ceremony without the usual counseling.   Heather, I think that's it."

"Except for flowers for Emily, flowers for me and food.    What are we going to do about those?   And what about the license?    Where is Jake?   Why is he not home yet?" Heather asked, her voice rising.

"I could ask the same question about my wayward husband and grandson," Gail said, patting Heather's hand.   "Everyone will be home soon, Honey."

"Mom, I haven't been able to get through today without throwing up three times.   How am I going to get through tomorrow?   Everyone will know."

"That's easily explained.   Nerves."

Heather got up and started pacing from the table to the window and back.    Every time she got to the window she would stop and look out.   

"OOhhh.... where is he?!   Jimmy's waiting for us at town hall.   He was supposed to be here in time for dinner.   Why isn't he here?!"

"Heather, come sit down.   Let's look at the guest list.   I don't want to miss anyone."

Heather blew a frustrated breath out, stomped over to the table and picked up her list.

Johnston and Jacob walked in the front door.   Jacob was talking animatedly about horses.   

"Where have you two been all day?" Gail asked.

"We went and saw Stanley and arranged for a best man and then we did some work at the ranch."

"You are absolutely filthy, Jacob.   Just look at you," Heather said, irritated.   "Did you roll around in the stalls?"

Jacob stopped, shocked.   Heather had never been cross with him.   "I didn't know I was supposed to stay clean.    I was just playing.  I'm sorry," he said, quietly.

Heather, seeing how her irritation had affected Jacob, stopped and instantly felt guilty.   Tears started running down her face, "Oh, Honey, I'm sorry.   I didn't mean to snap at you.    I'm just tired and I don't feel well."    She walked over to him and hugged him, "Will you forgive me?"

Jacob smiled up at her, "Sure.   I'm crabby when I'm sick too."

"Lets get the shower going.   You have mud in your hair and you smell less than pleasant."

"But, Mama, the shower's cold."

"Well, you should have thought about that before trying to become one with a horse," Heather said, smiling.   Hearing him call her "mama", even occasionally, made her feel better.   She placed her hands on his shoulders and marched him to the bathroom.   

Gail and Johnston laughed when they heard the unmistakable squeals of cold water shock.    Gail went upstairs to get Jacob some clothes.

Jake and Robert Hawkins walked in the door quietly talking.    Johnston looked up from where he was stoking up the fire in the fireplace.   He nodded at them.

"Jake, did you get your errand taken care of?"

"Yeah, it's all done," Jake said, quietly.

Johnston could hear Heather talking to Jacob in the bathroom.   He looked at Jake and raised his eyebrows, "Jake, I feel the need to warn you.   Heather...." Johnston started.

"Heather what?" she asked indignantly.   

Jake turned around, surprised to hear anger in her voice.     Heather was standing directly behind him.    She was positively red with her face a mask of barely controlled anger.    She had drawn herself up to her full 5'4" height and had her hands on her hips.

"Where the hell have you been?" Heather asked, blowing out a very angry breath.

Hawkins and Johnston quietly walked into the kitchen.    Gail had her hands over Jacob's ears and was pushing him gently but firmly into the kitchen. 

"No, Gran, I wanna stay.   I ain't never seen Heather mad before."

"Shh," Gail said, firmly shutting the door.

"What's wrong, Heather?  I told you I wouldn't be back til dinnertime.   I didn't lie."

"You also didn't answer my question.   Where have you been?    Do you realize how much work your mother and I did today.  Alone!   And we're not done yet.   Forget dinner!  There was no time to cook anything.    If you wanted dinner you should have come home in time to help us plan!"

"I'm sorry, Heather.   I didn't realize I needed to be here.    There was something I had to do.   It took longer than I thought it would."

Jake turned away and started to take his coat off.

"Don't turn away from me.   We're not done!    Where did you go!?"  Heather yelled, grabbing his arm.

Jake stopped, he looked at her and then down at his arm, "What is wrong with you!?" he said, finally yelling back, "I told you, I had an errand to run and I ran it.   It couldn't wait.   Heather, I can't get into this with you."    Jake pulled away and took his coat off.   He turned back to her and saw that her anger was fading away.  "Please understand."

She bowed her head into her hands and started to cry.   Jake put his arms around her.   

"Now, seriously, what's wrong?   This isn't you," he said, tilting her face up so that he could look into her eyes.   "Are you alright?"

"I'm tired and nauseated.   I've thrown up three times since lunch.   My stomach is rolling.   I just want tomorrow to be done.    I just want to be Mrs. Johnston Jacob Green Jr."

He kissed the tip of her nose, "Heather, you have been Mrs. Green for months.   That ceremony tomorrow isn't going to make anything different.     We'll do this, for propriety, but it won't change my feelings for you.   I couldn't love you more."

Heather smiled up at him and tears started flowing down her face.

"Why are you crying?   I thought that would make you happy."

She started laughing quietly, "I don't know."

The laughed together and all was right in their world.

Johnston stuck his head out the door, "Is the coast clear?"

Heather smiled and laughed, "Yes, everything's fine"

Johnston walked out of the kitchen followed by Jacob, Gail and Hawkins.

Gail looked at Heather, "Honey, don't forget Jimmy's waiting at Town Hall."

Heather yelped, "I forgot!   Jake we have to go get the marriage license.   Jimmy's waiting for us."

Jake dropped his head, "Do we have to go tonight?  I'm tired," he grumbled.

Gail put her hands on her hips, "Jake Green.  Do not whine.   You haven't done a thing today.   You can take your wife down to town hall and get the marriage license.  We're all tired."   When Gail saw him opening his mouth to respond, she pointed her finger at him, "And I don't want to hear any lip about it!"

"Yes, Ma'am," he said, quietly.

Gail smiled at her oldest son, trying to take the sting out of what she'd just said, "When you get back I'll have something on the table for dinner."

Jake nodded and put his jacket back on.   He held Heather's for her.   They laced their fingers together and walked towards the door.    As they were going out they overheard Jacob talking, with awe in his voice, "Wow, Grandpa, did you hear that?  Dad got in trouble."

Hawkins was trying not to laugh.   What a day it had been...evidently for everyone.   

"Mrs. Green, I have some things in the car for you.   Consider it Jake and Heather's wedding gift."

**********     **********     **********

Jake and Heather walked into the Jericho Town Hall hand in hand.      Just as Gail said, Jimmy was waiting for them.

"Hi, Guys," Jimmy said with a wide grin,  "Congratulations are in order.   Did you know that this is the first marriage license we've issued since September?"

"Really?" Heather asked, smiling at Jimmy.  "I guess most people just don't see the need anymore.   But not us.   I'm a traditional kinda girl."

Jake snorted and smiled.   Heather elbowed him in the ribs, hard.

Gray Anderson walked up to the desk, "What's going on here, Jimmy?"

"Jake and Heather are getting married tomorrow.   They've come for a marriage license."

"Well, isn't that special?   Congratulations.    But you're living together anyway.   Why even bother?"

"Because it's the right thing to do, Gray.   Surely, you remember there's a right and wrong?    You haven't screwed people over for so long that you've forgotten that," Jake said.

Gray pursed his lips, started to say something and then turned around and walked out of the room.

Jimmy laughed quietly with his head bowed, "That was good Jake.   I liked that."

Jimmy opened a drawer and took out a book and a piece of paper, "Okay, Johnston Jacob Green, Jr," he said as he started writing, "Heather, what's your middle name?"

"Jane," Jake said, before she could reply, "after her grandmother."

"And your birthday?   Jake, I know January but is it '74 or '75?   I can't remember.   What about you Heather?"

"January 21, 1974," Jake said, rubbing Heather's back.

"June 6, 1981," Heather said, smiling and thoroughly enjoying the backrub.

Jimmy took the rest of the information quickly and filled out the marriage license.

He handed it to Heather, "You know, Emily is very excited about being in the wedding.   She came in talking so fast I couldn't understand her.   Thanks for asking her."

"Jimmy, she is a precious little girl.   She was one of my favorite children in school."

"She's my princess."

Jake smiled at Jimmy, "Thanks for staying late.   I'm sorry we didn't get here earlier.   See you tomorrow."

**********     **********     **********

An hour later, Jake and Heather walked through the front door.   After what had happened that week and their argument, they had decided to take a little time to be together before the insanity at home continued.   Jake couldn't believe what he saw.   There were steaks, homemade mashed potatoes with gravy, peas smothered with butter and biscuits.   They hadn't eaten like this in months.    Heather's mouth was open.

She looked at Jake, "This was your errand?  You went to the Ravenwood compound and got the food?   Why didn't you just tell me earlier?"

"Uh, yeah, that's it.   That was the errand.   I wanted to surprise you."

Jake took his jacket off and helped Heather with hers.

Gail came out of the kitchen smiling.   Johnston followed with a pitcher of iced tea.

"Jake," Gail said hugging him, "you should have told us you were going back to get the food.   We wouldn't have been nearly as worried."

Jake looked over his mother's head with questioning eyes at Johnston.   Johnston gave Jake a look that told him to be quiet and gave an almost imperceptible shake of his head.

"I'm glad you like it, Mom," Jake said, hugging her back, "I wanted it to be a surprise."

"Let's eat," Johnston said, putting the tea pitcher on the table.

Jake looked around, noticing for the first time that Jacob wasn't in the room.

"Where's Jacob?" he asked.

"I had that boy working at the ranch today.   We rode horses all afternoon.   He was a tired little cowboy.   He's already ate and gone to bed."

"Did you remember to put that stuff on his foot?" Jake asked, serving himself and Heather a huge portion of potatoes.

"Yes, Son, I remembered," Johnston said, "believe it or not, I'm not ready for the old folks home yet."

"Sorry, Dad," Jake said, embarrassed.   "Sometimes I forget I don't have to do this by myself."

They dug into dinner and enjoyed it more than they had enjoyed anything in months.

After helping his mother clear the table, Jake stretched and looked at Heather.

"I'm exhausted.   You ready for bed?" Jake said, holding his hand out for her.

Gail walked over to the foot of the stairs and picked up a gym bag.

She looked at Jake and smiled, holding out the bag, "Here ya go, Jake.   You're spending the night at Stanley's house."

Jake's mouth fell open, "I'm what?"

"You heard me.   You're spending the night at Stanley's.   How many times did you throw a fit because you couldn't spend the night at Stanley's.   Well, now you can, 'cause you can't spend the night before your wedding with the bride."

"You're not serious?" Jake asked.   He looked at Heather who looked as surprised as he felt.

"I'm very serious," Gail said, thoroughly enjoying herself.

"Mother, you know that's like locking the barn door after the horse is gone."

Heather sat on the couch chuckling with her hand covering her mouth.   

Johnston laughed, "Gail, he does have a point."

"Hush, Johnston," Gail said, handing Jake his bag and opening the front door.  "Good night, Dear," she said, kissing him on the cheek and firmly pushing him onto the porch, "You'll see Heather tomorrow."

"Mom??!! Can I at least kiss her good night?"

"On the cheek, like a good little boy."

"Oh never mind," Jake said, stomping down the stairs, muttering curses.

Heather, Johnston and Gail collapsed with laughter.

**********     **********     **********

Jake stood in the Pastor's Study trying to catch his breath.      He looked at his hands....shaking.   This was bad.   He felt like Heather was his wife already.    Why was he freakin' out?    Jake started pacing.     What if she changed her mind?

Johnston walked into the room and saw Reverend Dabbs trying very hard not to smile.   Jake was pacing and biting his thumbnail.   He chuckled.

"Come here, Jake.   Let me fix your tie," Johnston said.

"I'm fine.   I can tie it," Jake said, defensively.   He walked to the mirror and attempted to tie it but his hands were shaking so bad he stopped.

"Humor me.   I haven't gotten to tie your tie since you were a little boy.   Once more, for old times sake."

Jake turned around and Johnston walked over and started tying his tie.   

"You know, Son, you clean up pretty well.    You should dress up more often." 

Gail had gone thru Jake's old clothes and between those and what she could find in Johnston's and Eric's closets, he looked nice.   He was wearing black slacks, white button up shirt, burgundy tie and suspenders.    The jacket pinched across the shoulders so he was waiting til the last possible minute to put it on.   

"Jake, I know you love Heather.   I know you know that this is a big responsibility.   I know you can do it.   Treat her with care and respect.     I want you to have the same kind of marriage that your mother and I have....long and happy and full of laughter," he narrowed his eyes at Jake and smiled, "even during times of stress.    You have to pull together.   I know you will, you already have.    Never go to bed mad, Jake, and always get up with a kind word."    Johnston pulled the knot straight and patted Jake on the shoulder, "I think that's got it."

Jake looked in the mirror.   Perfect.    He bowed his head.    Six years ago he would have rolled his eyes and given Johnston a smartass remark.   Now, with everything that had happened, everything his father said just felt right.   It made perfect sense.

He gave his father a small smile and gripped his arm, "I'll take care of her, Dad.   It's a promise."

"Jake, come here and sit down a minute," Johnston said, motioning Jake to a sofa.    "When I got married to your mother your grandfather gave me about the same talk I just gave you.   There is a family heirloom passed down to the oldest son when he gets married.   Your grandfather gave it to me and I'm passing it to you just like you'll pass it to Jacob."   Johnston pulled a box out of his pocket and handed it to Jake.

Jake opened the box.   It was an Irish copper penny dated 1875.   "Dad, what is this?"

"Tradition says if you have an Irish penny you will always have luck and money.    This is yours now.    Don't tell Eric, though," Johnston warned, chuckling self-consciously.  "He didn't get one."

Jake hugged his father briefly and slipped the box into his pocket.

The door opened and Gail came in followed by Stanley, Jacob and Emily Taylor.

"Woohoo...look at you," Stanley said, grinning, "you going somewhere important today?"

Jake grinned, "I'm not sure Heather will recognize me.   Maybe I should be in jeans and t-shirt?"

"I don't think that would ever happen," Gail said, smiling, "You look very nice, Dear."

Jake looked at Jacob.   He was dressed exactly like him, all the way down to the black suspenders.   His tie was crooked and twisted.     Jake motioned him over.

"Who tied your tie?" Jake asked, kneeling in front of him.   He noticed that his hands were perfectly steady now.

"Heather tried.   Dad, she's crazy in there.  Hair stuff and makeup's flyin everwhere. Sometimes she laughing and then she starts crying.    She tied Emily's bow so tight she couldn't breath.   She tried to tie my tie but almost choked me and then she puked.   Me and Emily hadda leave."

Everyone laughed.

Gail walked over to Johnston and pulled him aside, "Would you please go talk to Heather.   She's a nervous wreck.    I think seeing you would calm her down."   Gail handed him a ring box, "And please take care of this."    Johnston nodded and slipped out of the room.

Stanley grinned and clapped Jake on the back, "Alright, Jake, did you knock up the bride?"

Jake's head jerked up in surprise.   He glanced quickly at his mother.    Gail gave an almost imperceptible shake of her head.

"Stanley!" Gail said, smacking him on the arm, "there are children and a man of God here."

"Well, it wouldn't be the first time," Reverend Dabbs said with a gentle smile.

Gail narrowed her eyes and pointed her finger at Stanley, "You just wait til your day comes.   Let's see how calm you and Mimi are."

**********     **********     **********

"Do we have everything?" Mimi asked.

"What do you mean?" Heather said looking around the room in a panic.   "I'm sure I picked everything up off the bed before we left the house."

"The important everything," Mimi said, looking at Heather like she had just grown two heads, "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.   You've got to have those or you can't get married.   It's bad luck."

"Oh, that is just ridiculous," Margaret said, trying to put foundation on Heather.

"How can you say that?  That is the most important part of the wedding.    If you don't have those things you just might as well forget it."

"Enough," Heather said, "I'm nervous enough.   You're giving me a headache and I can't take anything for it."

"Why not, Sweetie.   I have some Advil in my purse.   I'll run get you some water," Margaret said.

"No," Heather said, eyes big, trying to think up a reason quickly, "I'm uh...afraid they'll just make me sick to my stomach.   I haven't been able to eat anything today."

"Well if you decide later just let me know."

"Ladies, back to the issue at hand.   Do we have the things or not?" Mimi asked.

"Mimi," Bonnie said,"you're doing it again.  Back off."

"Let's just figure it out and be done with it," Heather said, sharply.   "Something old, I have my grandmother's pearls.   Something new, the garter Margaret made.   Thank you, Margaret.  I hadn't even thought about that.   Something borrowed, well the dress. Something blue.....we don't have anything blue," Heather said in a panic.   "What can be find that's blue?"

"Honey, honey, calm down.   Look at the garter again.   There is a blue ribbon sewed into the casing.   You're all set."

Heather breathed a sigh of relief.

Mimi reached across Heather and felt the battery powered curling iron, "Oh, good, it's finally hot."
 
Johnston quietly walked into the Bride's Room.    Heather was sitting in front of the mirror with the same dazed look Jake had.       Mimi, Bonnie and Margaret Taylor were hovering over her.

"Mimi, I don't want big hair," Heather said, testily.

"It's not big, Heather.   Just close your eyes and don't move.    We'll do this," Mimi said, in an exasperated tone.

"Hello, Ladies," Johnston said, "can I have a moment with my daughter, please."

Bonnie looked at him gratefully, "Yes.  Please calm her down."

Johnston walked behind Heather and placed his hands on her shoulders.   

"You're beautiful, Heather.   Gail's dress looks beautiful on you.   I remember a Saturday 40 years ago when I watched her walk down the same aisle you'll be walking down shortly.     You and Jake are going to be just as happy as we've been.   You're a good woman and he knows that.    Remember, Honey, he's a Green.   He can be a hardheaded, stubborn SOB but if a Green man loves you, you never have a thing to fear.   He'll take care of you forever."

"I know but, Dad, I'm so nervous.   What if Jake changes his mind.   What if he doesn't want to marry me."

"Honey, I've just been in there with him.   I have never seen a man more in love than Jake, well unless it was me.   Just between you and me, I think he just might edge me out on that one," Johnston said, bending down and kissing her cheek.   "Relax, everything's gonna be fine."

Johnston pulled up a chair and turned Heather so they were looking at each other.   "Heather, bridal tradition says you have to have something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue..."

"We've got it covered, Dad."

"Let me finish.   And a lucky sixpence in her shoe.     It's been a long time but the Green family is originally from Ireland.    We hold these wedding traditions very dear.     When Gail and I started having kids my mother passed on a family heirloom for our first daughter.   Well, we never had a daughter.   Gail has kept this for 33 years.   She was hoping to give it to our first granddaughter," Johnston said, pulling the jewelry box out of his pocket and handing it to Heather.   

Heather opened the box and saw an Irish sixpence nestled inside.

"Who knew we would have our first daughter 40 years after we got married,"  Johnston said, his eyes bright.   He cleared his throat, "This sixpence guarantees the newlywed couple a lifetime of health, happiness, wealth and wedded bliss."

"Oh, Dad," Heather said, kissing his cheek, "Thank you."

"Give me your left shoe," Johnston said, taking it and placing the coin in the toe.

Mimi, Bonnie, Gail and Margaret walked in and looked at Johnston, "Everything's fine here.   Right, Heather?   She is going to let you fine ladies finish and in an hour we're going to add another Green to the family bible."

**********     **********     **********

"Okay, Jake, this is your five minute warning," Gail said.   She motioned towards the door, "Emily, Johnston, Jacob come with me."

Gail stopped Jacob as he went out the door, "Where's your jacket?"

"Heather's got it."

"Where're the rings?"

"In my pocket.   I'm not gonna lose 'em.   I know what to do.   I've done this job before ya know," Jacob said, rolling his eyes in a perfect imitation of his father.

Gail laughed, bent down and kissed his cheek, "Sorry, Dear, I forget sometimes that you're all grown up.  Let's get in our places."  She looked up at Jake, "Five minutes, Jake."

Jake started to breathe fast and he noticed his hands were shaking again.

Stanley watched the transformation of cool, calm and collected Jake to deer in the headlights Jake.   He placed his hand on Jake's shoulder for support.

"It'll all be over soon.   Just take a deep breath."

They heard the first notes of Pachelbel's Canon play.   Stanley opened the door and gently but firmly pushed Jake to get him started.    They walked to the front of the altar and turned around.

The church was packed.   This was the first happy social event that had occurred in Jericho in months and no one was going to miss it.

Jake smiled as he watched Bonnie walk slowly down the aisle and take her place as Maid of Honor.    Jacob came next at a very sedate pace.   He was taking his job as ringbearer very seriously.   Emily Taylor followed Jacob throwing down her path of flower petals.     When the wedding party had taken their places the doors to the back of the church were closed and the CD player with Pachelbel was turned off.   The guests stood in anticipation.   Eric sat down at the piano and began playing the Wedding March.

Jake smiled and visibly relaxed when he saw Heather walking down the aisle on the arm of Johnston Green.   She was absolutely beautiful.     He recognized that dress from the wedding picture on his parents' mantel.    It couldn't have looked better on Heather if it had been custom made for her.

Heather and Johnston stopped beside Jake.    Reverend John Dabbs took his place.

"Who gives this woman to be wed?"

"Her family does."

Johnston placed Heather's hand on top of Jake's and took his place in the pew beside Gail.

"Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony.     If there are any present here who have reservations speak now or forever hold your peace.

Jake and Heather have chosen to speak their own vows."

Heather took a deep breath and turned to face Jake, "I, Heather, take thee Jake, to be my husband, secure in the knowledge that you will be my constant friend, my faithful partner in life, and my one true love.


On this special day, I give to you in the presence of God and these witnesses my sacred promise to stay by your side as your wife in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, as well as through the good times and the bad."

Jake smiled softly, "I, Jake, take thee Heather, to be my wife, secure in the knowledge that you will be my constant friend, my faithful partner in life, and my one true love.


On this special day, I give to you in the presence of God and these witnesses my sacred promise to stay by your side as your husband in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, as well as through the good times and the bad."

"Each of you has rings for each other.  May we have them please?" Reverend Dabbs asked, looking at Jacob.

Jacob stepped forward and held out his hand.   Jake was pleased to see his grandparent's wedding rings.   It just felt right to him.

Jake picked up his grandmother's ring and placed it on Heather's finger, "Heather, I give you all I am and all I am to become.   Take this ring, and with it my promise of faith, patience and love, for the rest of my life."

Heather placed Grandpa Green's wedding ring on Jake's hand, "Jake, I give you all I am and all I am to become.   Take this ring, and with it my promise of faith, patience and love, for the rest of my life."

"As a ceaseless reminder of this hour, and of the promise you have made to each other, these rings also speak of the oneness you now experience as husband and wife," Reverend Dabbs said.    He smiled at them, "You may kiss the bride."

Jake grinned crookedly, "I thought we'd never get to this part," and pulled her to him tightly.    Their kiss spoke volumes.    The wedding guests whistled and applauded.

"Friends and Family, I present Mr. and Mrs. Jake Green."

**********     **********     **********

 
Jake slid behind Heather and kissed her on the cheek.   Heather had been talking to Darcy Hawkins about the best way to homeschool Sam.

"Can I borrow my wife for minute?" he said.

Darcy smiled with amusement and chuckled, "I think that can be arranged."   She looked at Heather and patted her on the arm, "We'll talk another time."

Heather turned around and looked at her husband, "And just what is it you need to borrow me for?"

Jake smiled crookedly, took her hand and pulled her towards the dark end of the hall, "I want to borrow you for things good little boys don't talk about at a wedding reception but I'll settle for kissing you."

"Jake, have you seen the kids?" Gail asked walking down the hall looking in the study and then the bathroom.   "All four of them seem to be missing."

Jake dropped his head and sighed, "No, Mom, I haven't seen them.   I don't think they could have gotten too far."

"Well, could you find them?" Gail asked, with irritation edging her voice, "It's time to cut the cake."

Jake groaned, kissed Heather on the forehead and smirked, "Sure, Mom.   I wasn't doing anything else."

Jake walked back into the living room rolling the sleeves up on his shirt.   He looked around and didn't see any of the kids.   Jake went into the kitchen.  They weren't there but the window was open and he heard their voices.    He walked to the backdoor and stood just inside so they couldn't see him but he could see and hear them.

The boys were sitting on the back steps and Emily was standing at the rail.   

"Hey pass that over here," Woody said, reaching for a box of Froot Loops, one of the sugary treats from the Ravenwood haul.

Jake smiled and thought, "Like a joint at a concert.   Pass the good stuff down, Dude."

"Are they going on a honeymoon?" Emily asked.

"Where would they go dum dum?" Woody asked.

Emily stuck her tongue out at her brother.

"I'm cold in my dress.   I need a jacket," Emily said.

"You shoulda brought one then," Woody said, reaching for another handful of cereal.

"Hey, all I have is my sweater.   Sorry," Sam said.

"Jakey, can I have your jacket?"

Jacob looked at Woody and Sam and rolled his eyes.   He took his suit jacket off and handed it towards her, "Sure, Emily.  Don't worry, I don't get cold."

"Hold it for me?" Emily said, smiling.

Jacob exhaled with irritation but held it for her.   He sat back down and reached for the cereal box.

"I don't know if they're going on a honeymoon.   They sure do kiss alot, I know that," Jacob said, shaking his head and making a face.

"Hmmff," Emily snorted in irritation.  "They love each other.   It's like Mamma's soap opera.   Very romantic."

The boys leaned forward, looked at each other, looked at Emily and in unison said, "YUCK!"

Emily put her hands on her hips and stamped her foot, "BOYS!"   She whirled around and stomped into the house, almost running into Jake.

"Sorry, Mr. Green."

Jake, trying hard not to laugh, "It's alright, Sweetheart.   They're looking for ya in the living room."

Jake pushed open the screen door, "OK, Guys.    If you want some cake it's time."

The boys pushed past Jake without a second glance.     

"Boys!  Don't touch it yet!" Gail yelled, trying to be heard above the din.   

She motioned for Jake and Heather, "I don't know if we will ever be able to get these developed but I found a box of disposable cameras and I want to take some pictures.   Jake, get you coat.   Heather, put your shoes back on."   

"Jacob? Don't run off again.   Where's your jacket?" Gail said, catching Jacob as he tried to get past her with a limping run.

"Emily's got it," Jacob said, trying to get away from his grandmother.   "I didn't get married.   Why do I have to take pictures?"

"Because you were in the wedding," Gail said, pushing him towards the stairs.  "Stanley, Bonnie, Emily come with me," she said motioning them over.

For the next thirty minutes they took pictures.

"Gr-an," Jacob whined, "I want some cake.   Can we please be done?"

Jake walked behind him and looked at Gail. "Me too.   Please.   I'm tired of pictures," Jake said, winking and smiling at Jacob.

Johnston smiled, "Yeah, Gail, don't you want to save at least a few of those for any babies that might come along?"

"Johnston!" Gail whispered, "Not in front of the K-I-D-S."

"Yeah," Jake laughed, enjoying his mother's embarrassment, "they might be able to spell."

Jake looked over at Heather.    She was starting to get pale and look sick.     He instantly stopped laughing.

"Mom, Heather's getting sick," Jake whispered, "keep everyone busy."    He quietly but quickly pulled her into the bedroom and closed the door.

"Lay down for a minute," Jake said.   He noticed a pack of oyster crackers and a bottle of water beside the bed.   "Here, try a few of these."    He poured some water on one of his tshirts and placed it on her forehead.

After a few minutes the pink started coming back to her cheeks.

"Better?" Jake asked.

"Yes, thank you."

"Mrs. Green, pull that hot dress off."

"Mr. Green, this is not the time.    We have guests and we need to get back to them," she said, rolling her eyes at Jake and chuckling.

Jake smiled, "You find a cooler dress.   I'll attend to the guests."   He slipped quietly out of the bedroom.

"Where's Heather?" Mimi asked, seeing Jake come out of the bedroom.

"She's changing clothes.   She was afraid she would get food on the wedding dress."

Heather walked out of the bedroom just then wearing the same baby pink dress she had worn the night Jake proposed.   

He smiled softly, "That's my favorite dress."

Heather raised up on tiptoes and whispered, "Your father told me he wants a granddaughter so I am thinking girl thoughts."

Jake chuckled and kissed her, "You go right ahead thinking them."

"Everyone gather round," Gail said, motioning them all towards the table.    "Let's cut the cake before these boys worry me to death." 

"We ain't done nothin'," Jacob said, trying to sound innocent but failing miserably considering there was chocolate icing on his chin.

"Really?" Gail asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Jakey?" Emily said, tugging on his arm.   She put her hand in front of her mouth and whispered loudly, "You have frosting on your chin."   
 
"Oops," he said, wiping the frosting off.
 
Everyone laughed, including Jacob.
 
With the cake cut and toasts given, the evening started winding down.
 
Stanley cleared his throat to try to get some semblance of quiet, "Jake, I don't really think you need a clock radio and neither one of you can cook so a toaster oven is out.   Bonnie, Mimi and I talked about it and our wedding gift is asking Jacob to visit us for a week.   Have a happy honeymoon!"
 
Johnston stepped up, "And for the second part of that gift, do you remember your grandfather's cabin on the lake?   
 
Jake thought for a minute and his face lit up, "We still have that place?"
 
"We do.   I go out there at least three or four times every summer.   Stanley, Bonnie and Mimi went out yesterday and got it all fixed up.   The lake is full of fish and the deck is perfect for relaxing and reading a romance novel.   The car's loaded.   Have fun."   Johnston held out the keys.
 
"What?" Jake asked in amazement.   He looked at Heather and saw the same look of surprise.   He hadn't even thought about a honeymoon.   This was a total surprise.
 
He looked at Heather, "Sound good to you?"
 
"Absolutely perfect."
 
"It's a long drive," Gail said, trying to fight back tears. "Get changed, Jake, so you can leave and get there before too late."
 
"Wait, wait, wait," Mimi said, "there are single people here.   You can't leave without throwing the garter and the flowers!"
 
Jake grinned, "There's a garter?" he said throwing Heather a lecherous look.
 
Stanley leered and wolf whistled, "Let's have it!"
 
Jake led Heather to a chair and made her sit down.    Kneeling in front of her he made a show of finding the garter underneath her dress.    He very slowly removed it, grinning the whole time.    Heather was as red as a beet.   
 
Johnston, trying not to laugh and failing miserably, "Alright now.   There's children here."
 
"Clear a space.   All you single men gather round.    The man to catch this will be the next one to get married," Jake said, laughing.
 
Stanley and Eric stepped forward.
 
Heather smiled, "Now I see three other single men.   Woody, Sam, Jacob...you too."
 
"I'm not gettin' married," Sam said.
 
"Nope, gotta do it," Robert Hawkins said, laughing.   "You're a single, available man."
 
The three boys got as far back from Stanley and Eric as they could in hopes of getting no where near the garter.
 
Jake stretched the garter as far as he could and let it fly, overshooting both Stanley and Eric and hitting Jacob in the chest.
 
"Jake you never could throw worth spit," Stanley said, in mock disgust.
 
"I tried, I can't help it if you can't catch," Jake said laughing.
 
Jacob looked at the garter with big eyes and didn't utter a word.
 
Heather picked up her bouquet of fresh cut daisies, "Alright, Ladies, your turn."
 
Mimi, Allison, Bonnie, Mary and Emily Taylor all moved to the front of the group.   Mimi tried to clear a large space around her.   Emily stepped up right beside her and glared up at Mimi, staking out her spot.
 
Heather turned her back and tossed the bouquet over her shoulder.   It flew backwards and clipped the ceiling causing it to fall like a rock right between Emily and Mimi's feet.
 
The looked at each other, narrowing their eyes and started moving at the same time.   Emily having the advantage of being short fell on top of the bouquet and yelled, "MINE!"
 
Emily got up and brushed herself off, looking very pleased.   She looked around the room and spying Jacob, smiled, "Look, Jakey, I caught the bouquet!"
 
Everyone in the room erupted in laughter.
 
Jimmy walked across the room, "Um, Jake, when you get back from your honeymoon, I think we need to talk."
 
Twenty minutes later, with all the thank you's and goodbyes said, Jake and Heather drove off into the sunset.

**********     **********     **********

Thanks so much for reading my story!!    I hope you liked it.    Feedback is always appreciated.