- Text Size +
DISCLAIMER: I do not own the television show Jericho or any part of it. The characters are not mine in any way. I am just borrowing them for a bit. I am not affiliated with CBS, the television show Jericho or the writers of Jericho.

NOTE:  The dialog with Emily in the last segment of this chapter was written by the writers of Jericho.   Except for a few lines about Jake's son and the last paragraph of the chapter,  that part of the story was not written by me.
************************************************************

Jake stood on the Tacoma Bridge.   He was in autopilot mode.   Wiring explosives was something he could do blindfolded--he had done it so many times it was just automatic.    He was thinking about other things.   He couldn't believe how ignorant his brother was.   Jake knew Eric hadn't  ever been in these kinds of situations like he had, but to take identifying information into a situation like Rogue River, Jake just couldn't believe he could be that ignorant.
 
Ravenwood had showed up.    He knew they would.   He had seen it too many times before.   They would be back and it could be any time.   He looked around, everywhere he looked he saw people he had grown up knowing.    And everywhere he looked, he saw fear.    Thank God Robert Hawkins was there.   He wished he knew the truth about him.   Right now he knew one thing, this was the man to have at his side and that's all that was important.   Earlier he had convinced Stanley and Bonnie to leave their farm.    After seeing that Bonnie and Mimi were safe in town he had come back to the bridge to help Jake.    Jake felt safer knowing he had Stanley covering his back.    Jacob was safe in town with his mother.    There should be nothing to distract him.   Suddenly, the face of Heather Lisinski popped into his mind.   A small smile that had nothing to do with wires and detonators played across his face as he remembered that kiss yesterday.   He could still smell her hair and taste her lips.   She had been coming over to the house and homeschooling Jacob since the elementary school had closed and he could feel them getting closer---but that kiss had taken him by total surprise---a very very nice surprise.   He pulled himself out of that memory---way to much distraction there.   He picked up more wires and got back to the business at hand.
 
Hawkins walked up beside him, "Jake, you have a problem."
 
Jake looked up at him, "What?"
 
Hawkins pointed down to the end of the bridge where Stanley stood holding on to a struggling Jacob.    "I found that boy trying to climb into your car.   He won't tell me his name but I have a pretty good idea.   You better deal with this and deal with it quick."
 
Jake handed the wires over to Hawkins and walked quickly down to the end of the bridge.   He didn't think he had ever been this mad at Jacob before---or this scared for his life.   He grabbed Jacob's upper arm and pulled him towards the car.    Stanley followed slowly behind them.
 
"How did you get out here," Jake said angrily.   "You could get killed, did you know that?"
 
Jacob looked defiantly up at his father.   He pulled himself up to his full 4ft 4 inches of height and said, "I hid in the back of Uncle Eric's truck.    I don't want to stay here if you are leaving again."
 
Jake looked back at Stanley and waved him over, "Hey, I need  you to do something for me."
 
"Sure," Stanley said, "what do you need?"
 
"Take him and keep him safe.   I don't have time to take him back to town.    Ravenwood'll be back any minute."
 
"No problem," Stanley said taking hold of Jacob's arm.  
 
Jake pointed his finger at Jacob, "You better behave.   I'll deal with you later," he looked at Jacob and then at Stanley, "If he misbehaves use your imagination."
 
Jake watched as Stanley put Jacob in the car and locked the doors.   He turned and walked back down the bridge.   Suddenly, a flair streaked across the sky.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
It was over....at least for now.   Ravenwood was gone.    Jake took a deep breath and turned the detonator off.   Now he had to deal with Jacob.
 
He walked towards the car.   He could see Stanley and Jacob.   Stanley got out when Jake got to the car.
 
"Is it over? Are they gone?" Stanley asked.
 
Jake nodded, "At least for now.   How did things go here?"
 
"Well, I have to say he is just like you when we were kids," Stanley said smiling.   "He didn't say a word.   He just sat there with him arms crossed.   He seems pretty upset," Stanley said, "When things settle down a bit we are going to have to have a talk about him.   I am dying to know about Jake Green's son.   You've been pretty close mouthed."
 
"I'll tell ya sometime, I promise," Jake said.   "Thanks for staying with him"
 
"Sure, no problem.   I'm going to get Bonnie and Mimi," Stanley said.   He clapped Jake on the shoulder and walked towards his truck.
 
Jake got in the car and sat there a minute.   He looked over at his son, "Well?  Why did you hide in Eric's truck and sneak out here?   It was dangerous.   You could have been killed.   Does your grandmother know you're here?
 
Jacob didn't answer---just shook his head.   Jake started the car and drove back towards town.   "Boy, you think I'm mad, just wait til your grandmother's done with you."
 
"She's not my mother, she can't tell me what to do," Jacob said quietly as they pulled up in front of the house.
 
Jake was getting very angry but working hard to keep it under control, "Uh huh, is that right?"
 
He walked behind Jacob with his hand gripping his shoulder.    Jake started to open the front door but the knob was jerked out of his hand.   Gail was standing in the door looking frantic.
 
"I can't find Jacob anywhere.    We've looked everywhere.   He's gone!"
 
Jake pushed the boy into the light, "He found me."
 
Gail grabbed the child in a bear hug, "I was so worried!   You can't leave without telling me.   What if something had happened to you, if you had gotten hurt.    No one would have ever found you!"
 
Jake glanced into the living room and saw April standing by the fireplace and Johnston sitting there watching everything from his recliner.    Then he looked down at Jacob, "You owe your grandparents an apology."
 
"No I don't," Jacob screamed at his father, "I don't like it here and I want to go home.   He turned and stomped towards the stairs and turned around and looked at Jake with fire in his eyes and yelled, " I WANT TO GO HOME!" he turned back towards the stairs.
 
Jake, barely controlling his anger, looked at Jacob.   He took a deep breath and said,
"I know you aren't thinking about stomping up those stairs and slamming the bedroom door, right?   If you are you better let it go, RIGHT NOW.   You go quietly upstairs, go to the bedroom, do not close the bedroom door, sit down in the middle of the bed and face the wall.   Do not get up.   Do you understand?"
 
Jacob barely nodded and slowly walked up the stairs.
 
"I'll be upstairs to settle this when I get over being angry."
 
Jake let out an explosive breath and dropped his head.
 
Johnston walked over to the foyer and looked at Jake, "Problems of fatherhood?   Got a little disipline problem there do you?   Been there, done that.   That boy is exactly like you," he said.   He patted Jake on the shoulder and walked towards the stairs.   Jake half smiled, half grimaced at him.    Johnston walked up the stairs.   When he got to the top he turned and looked at Jake, "You know where I am if you need me."   He slowly walked down the hall.  
 
Jake looked at his mother and shook his head.   He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a very crumpled pack of Camels and shook one out.    He looked at his mother and said, "I haven't had one of these in nearly a year.   I'm going outside for a minute."  Gail nodded at him.
 
Jake sat on the top step and lit the Camel.   'When did I lose control of my son?' he thought.   He knew he had been out of the country a lot over the last few years and Jacob had been with the nanny, but when did he lose control?    He finished his cigarette and went back inside.    He was still mad but at least he was under control now.   He hung his jacket up and turned around.    Gail was sitting on the bottom step looking at him.   Jake sat down beside her.
 
"What're you gonna do Jake?   He wasn't being bad.   He's confused.    His whole world changed 2 months ago and he's having a hard time dealing with it."
 
"Who are you?   This isn't the same woman I grew up with," Jake smiled at her, "If I had done what he just did, after you got done with me, I wouldn't have been able to sit.   I know he's confused."   Jake got up and started up the stairs, "I'm going to talk to my son"
 
Jacob was exactly where he was supposed to be---in the middle of the bed, facing the wall.   He was picking at the threads on the quilt.    Jake sat down beside him on the bed.  
 
"Now, do you want to tell me about today?"
 
"I didn't want you to leave me here.   I want to go home.   I don't like this place."
 
"First off, I'm not leaving you anywhere.   That part of our life is over.   We've talked about that, Jacob.   We live here now, with your grandparents.    This is our home now.    You have to be respectful of your grandparents.     They are helping me take care of you because I have to work.   I have to keep us, all of us, safe.   I can't work if I'm worried about you.   When I go to work you have to stay here with Gran.    I am not going to leave you, I promise.   Do you understand?"   Jake reached over and hugged his son.
 
"Ok, Dad, I understand.   I'm sorry I was mean to Gran."
 
"Right now you have a job.   You scared your grandparents and you were very rude.   It's time to apologize."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Bailey's sounded like a good plan as he walked down the street.    It was surprisingly full considering there was no electricity or real alcohol.
 
Heather sat at the end of the bar nursing a glass of whatever Mary was pouring today.   He walked over and placed his hand on her arm.
 
"Hey, mind if I join you?"
 
Heather looked blearily up and brightened quickly.
 
"Jake Green, back from the wilds of the Tacoma Bridge.    Stanley said you beat the bad guys.    That Discovery Channel lesson on dynamite must have been something else," she said laughing a bit too loudly.
 
Jake smirked at her, "It's just amazing how well those shows teach.    Are you alright?  You seem a bit different today."
 
Heather laughed, "I'm awesome.    Emily and I celebrated the day of her wedding and celebrated and celebrated a bunch more."
 
Jake smiled, "I can tell.   Let me take you home.   You seem to maybe have celebrated enough."
 
"Don't tell me I've had enough.   I am perfectly fine," Heather said as she attempted to defiantly stand up in front of him.   She stumbled and swayed.
 
Jake gave her his patented smirk, "Yeah, I can see that.   Come on, let's go.   I'm gonna take you home.   Where are the keys to Charlotte?   You're in no condition to drive."
 
"You can't have my keys.   I am perfectly caplable, capi, capa.....I'm OK to drive," she jerked the keys out of her pocket.   "Here, I'll show you."
 
"Oh no you don't," Jake said as he grabbed the keys out of her hand and threw them to Mary, "She can get these tomorrow.   I'm gonna take her home."
 
Mary looked at the two of them and smiled, "Yeah, I think that's a good idea.   I'll keep them in the cash register."
 
Jake got her outside, with her protesting the whole way.    He was getting the biggest kick out of this.    This was  a side of Heather that Jake never thought existed.    He slowly walked a swaying, stumbling Heather to her apartment.    He got her housekey and opened the door.    He led her to the couch and sat her down and started taking her shoes off.
 
Heather suddenly realized what was going on.
 
"Jake Green, stop it!   I am so mad at you I could kill you!" Heather shouted.
 
Jake sat back on the floor in surprise, "What?" he asked confused.
 
Heather continued loudly, "Yesterday you promised, PROMISED, to come home to me in one piece.   And what do you do?  Huh? Huh? You go and almost get yourself blown into a million pieces on the Tacoma Bridge.   Discovery Channel my ass.   Who are you?    You have to get it through your head that you have more to think about than your own ass.   Do you understand?   Do you? Huh?"  Heather put her head in her hands and started crying.    "I was scared to death, Jake."
 
Jake sat beside her on the couch and put his arm around her, "I'm sorry I scared you.   I'm not going anywhere.   I'm right here, I promise."   He hugged her and kissed her on the  forehead.    "You and Jacob are a pair, let me tell ya!"   He took her face in his hands and tilted it up so he could look into her eyes.   He slowly lowered his lips to hers.
"I'm sorry, Babe.   I promise, I'm alright.   Everything'll be OK."
 
Heather sighed and melted into his arms.    Within minutes she was sleeping.    Jake held her a while longer.   When he was sure she was deeply asleep, he picked her up and took her into the bedroom.    He took her other shoe off and covered her with a comforter.   He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a bottle of aspirin.    He shook out six and laid them on her bedside table.    She would definitely need those when she woke up.    Jake kissed her on the forehead and quietly left.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Jake walked slowly down the street towards home.    He had been given lots of things to think about tonight.   Heather was something else.    Jake stopped at the entrance to the church.   He felt pretty sure that Emily would be there.    He knew today would've been her wedding day and he wanted to check on her.    He slowly walked up the steps and opened the door.    Emily was sitting in a pew near the front.    
 
"Emily, is everything alright?"
 
Emily stood up and looked at him, "Yeah."
 
Jake walked towards her, "I saw Heather.   She's pretty wasted."
 
Emily laughed, "I've been a little overserved myself."
 
Jake leaned against the pew opposite Emily.
 
"I know what today is.   Mom still has the invitation on the fridge.    You know, we never talked about him, about Roger."
 
"What do you wanna know," Emily asked.
 
"How did he propose?"
 
"Champagne and caviar," Emily said with a smile.
 
"Beats the hell out of malt liquor in a video store parking lot," Jake laughed.
 
Emily bowed her head and laughed, "We were teenagers.   What the hell did we know?"
 
Jake laughed, "We knew enough not to go thru with it!"
 
Emily took a long hard look at Jake, "I've seen your son, Jake.   Is that what you were doing all those times you were gone there towards the end?    You know he should have been ours Jake.    It might have made a difference, ya know?"
 
Jake shook his head at her, "Emily, we talked about a baby---a lot.   A baby for us at that time would have been a disaster.   Can you imagine us then with a baby?   It would've been a disaster."
 
Emily looked up at him, "But it was a good idea with someone else?   Is that it?   You couldn't have imagined having a baby with me but someone who you didn't even know.... that was a good idea?"
 
"I didn't say it was a good idea.   He wasn't planned.   I'm not ashamed of him, Emily.   He turned my life around.   There is no telling what would have happened if he hadn't been born.  I'm not with his mother.    We haven't seen her in 6 1/2 yrs.   I'm sorry if it hurt you. "
 
"Why'd you come back Jake?  Why couldn't you have just stayed away??" Emily asked.
 
Jake walked over to her and leaned down towards her, "Are you sure that's what you wanted?"
 
Emily looked up startled, "What did you say?"
 
Jake leaned in and pressed his lips to her ear and whispered, "Are you sure that's what you wanted?"
 
Emily looked stunned.   Her image of Roger had asked her the exact same question.
 
Jake turned and slowly walked up the aisle and out the door.
 
Emily sat in the church the rest of the night thinking about the things that could have been, crying for the things that should have been and probably never would be and wondering where in the world she would go from here......................