- Text Size +

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Auld Lang Syne: A Pursuit

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10 PM, December 31, 2008

"Major!" Emily exclaimed suddenly.  She realized belatedly that she was staring.  "Beck!" she added a few seconds later when he didn't respond.  "Major Beck!  Happy New Year!"

He acknowledged her with a curt nod.  "Ms. Sullivan, uh, Happy New Year!"

"Emily - it's Emily," she announced, humming along with the jukebox for a few seconds.  "You should call me Emily," she invited, biting her lip.  She wasn't sure she needed to tell him that, but he did seem a little more proper - by the book - than your run-of-the-mill citizen of Jericho.  "I mean, everyone does.  That's what they call me.  Emily."

"Okay," he murmured.  "Emily.  And I'm Ed.  Or Eddie, if you prefer," Beck smiled. 

"Is that what your wife called you?" Emily inquired, pasting on an expression of interest she didn't really feel.  "Eddie?"  He frowned though, and she realized that perhaps it was the wrong question.  "Oh.  Oh!  Sorry!" she exclaimed giggling anxiously.  "That's not something I should be asking, is it?  Rewind!" Emily declared, spinning her hands around one another like she was reeling her words back in.  "And erase!" she finished, miming hitting a large button.

"Nah, it's okay," Beck decided, cracking a smile.  "But it's a new year, right?  Time to put the past behind us.  Least, that's what they tell me."

His smile was kind of nice, she thought, leaning toward him.  "Sounds like a plan, Ed," she flirted.  Their eyes locked for a long moment and Emily caught herself humming along with the song once more.  "Take a chance on me....we can go dancin'...."  Placing her hand on his chest, she cocked her head to one side, grinning softly.  "Ask me to dance, Ed," Emily ordered.

"Yes, ma'am," he chuckled, saluting her smartly.  "Dance with me, Emily?" he inquired, holding out his hand.

She giggled girlishly and then wrapped her fingers around his.  Spinning around, Emily held fast to Beck's hand over her shoulder.  She tugged him along, sashaying her way toward the dance floor.  The crowd parted like the Red Sea, everyone stopping to stare.  They were the center of attention, and that was exactly how Emily liked it.  "You want me to leave it there, afraid of a love affair," she sang along, glancing back at Beck, who - unfortunately - frowned as he considered her words.  Reaching the middle of the dancers, she turned around, and immediately pressed herself to him, forcing him to enfold her in his arms.  "My love is strong enough, to last when things are rough," she crooned, swaying against him.  "It's maaaa-gic!"

The press of Beck's - Ed's - hand against the small of her back was strong and masculine.  The smallest of shivers of anticipation ran up Emily's spine as he took control of the situation, leading their dance.  They were moving too slow for the song, really, but surprisingly she didn't mind.  "This is nice," he whispered, his mouth next to her ear.  She let her head rest against his shoulder. 

"A slow song would be nice," Emily murmured so quietly that she figured even Beck couldn't hear her.  Strangely though, someone seemed to have, because suddenly an unhurried and soulful melody emerged from the juke box. 

"Oh she may be weary, them young girls they do get wearied," the song began.  "Wearing that same old shaggy dress, but when she gets weary...you try a little tenderness."

"Now, this is more my speed," Beck chuckled huskily.  His hold on Emily loosened, much to her momentary disappointment, and then, squeezing her hand, he twirled her around slowly.

"Ed," she smiled, moving back into his arms.

At one side of the dance floor, Eric sucked down a deep breath and let go of his mother, whom he'd been leading in a fast paced dance around the edges of the surprisingly crowded space.  Too late, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Gray Anderson appear.  The mayor held his hand out to Gail.  "Thought this might be more your speed - our speed."  The older man then stepped between Eric and his mother, cutting off Eric's access.  Over his shoulder, Gray offered his deputy a smug look.  "You might wanna check on Bill," he said with a nod toward the jukebox.  "He wanted to play that Titanic song." 

"My Heart Will Go On?" Eric guessed.  "Celine Dion?"

"That's the one," Gray confirmed, smiling at Gail.  "But I suggested we Try a Little Tenderness."  He started to lead her away, pausing only to spare Eric one last glance.  "Why don't you grab a beer and help Bill out," he suggested before dancing Gail into the crowd.

Fuming, but not knowing what else to do, Eric turned around and stomped off to the jukebox.  "We need a fast song next," he informed the deputy.

"Hey, I'm under orders to play romantic, slow dance songs for Johnny and Baby over there," Bill countered, pointing at Beck and Emily.  With a flourish, the major dipped her; Emily's delighted laugh was audible even where the two men stood toward the front of the tavern.  "Mary's orders," Bill added, directing Eric's attention to where his wife stood with Stanley and Mimi, all three studying the dance floor intently.  "I've got Hungry Eyes already cued up and ready to go."

"Dirty Dancing?" Eric snickered softly, allowing himself to be amused for a moment.  Then, however, he spotted his mother and Gray, pressed much too closely together for his comfort.  Expelling a frustrated breath, he crossed his arms over his chest, glaring daggers at the back of his boss's bald head.

"Hey, it's a good movie," Bill defended himself, "And you seem to know what I'm talkin' about."

"Yeah, well -" Eric protested before he realized he didn't really have a good retort.  "Well, never mind that.  What're you gonna play next?" he asked, turning around to scan the jukebox menu.  This way at least, he didn't have to watch Gray touching his mother.  He just needed to get a fast song into the queue but quick.  "How 'bout Love is a Battlefield?" he suggested.

Bill frowned.  "I don't think that qualifies."

"It's not a fast song," Eric argued with a shrug.  Of course, it wasn't exactly a slow song either, he acknowledged to himself, crossing his fingers behind his back.  "And it was one of Emily's favorites when we were kids.  And, you know, battlefield.  Beck's a soldier."

"Okay," the deputy nodded, conceding the point.  "Oh hey!" he practically crowed a beat later.  "I know a good one!  Fernando.  That's about a soldier, too.  A retired one, and we do kinda want Beck retired, right?"

"Another ABBA song?' Eric grumbled.  Bill's expression fell, and afraid of losing his cooperation, Eric quickly backpedaled.  "Hey, what am I saying?  Nothing wrong with a little ABBA, right?"  Try a Little Tenderness ended and the jukebox shuffled.  The opening strains of Hungry Eyes began to play, and he risked a look over his shoulder.  His mother was still stuck in Gray's clutches.  Eric reached for a quarter from the bowl Mary left on top of the unit and fed it into the coin slot, selecting H-14.  "Love is a Battlefield coming up next."  He reached for another quarter.  "Then Fernando.  You know, you could go cut in on -"

"No way," Bill objected, shaking his head.  "Gray Anderson's your problem, not mine.  Now, how 'bout I Will Always Love You next?"

"You sure that we want Bill DJing?" Mimi asked, glancing sideways at Mary while, with both hands, she rubbed gentle circles over her pregnant belly.  The chorus of Hungry Eyes came up and she wrinkled her nose.  "Dirty Dancing?  Let's hope they refrain."

Snorting, Stanley took a swig of his beer.  "No kiddin'.  But I think the song's working," he continued, wrapping one arm around his wife's shoulders.  Emily had her cheek pressed to the major's chest (Stanley marveled silently that his shirt wasn't damp or sticky with tears or snot) and Beck was running his fingers through her hair.  Pressed together as they were, they didn't bother to do much but sway in time to the music.  "And Emily seriously loved the movie.  It's like one of the top ten things I remember from high school."

"It'll be fine," Mary added, "Eric's with him."

Mimi and Stanley exchanged identical pained looks.  "Are you sure you don't want to go supervise?" Mimi urged her friend.

"Eric's always telling me about how he starred in three musicals in high school.  It'll be fine," Mary repeated.

"Exactly," Stanley muttered, "Eric starred in three musicals in high school.  Oklahoma, West Side Story, and The Music Man," he counted off on his fingers.    "So I'm sure it'll be fine," he said, tipping back his beer bottle.  "Bring on the Seventy Six Trombones."

"Don't forget The Surrey with the Fringe on Top," Mimi joked.   "Always a crowd pleaser."

"Okay, fine," Mary grumbled, "I'll go supervise."

"Hey!" Mimi called after her friend.  Mary stopped, glancing back over her shoulder.  "How about In Your Eyes?" she suggested, leaning against Stanley's arm.  Immediately, he wrapped his around her.

"So 're you a Peter Gabriel fan or was it just John Cusack in Say Anything?" Mary questioned, amusement clearly written in her expression.

"I may have at one time, for a very brief period when I was sixteen, wanted to be Ione Skye," Mimi admitted with a soft laugh. 

Mary shook her head, smiling as Mimi and Stanley exchanged a quick kiss.  "That explains so much," she snickered before starting once more toward the jukebox.   Surprisingly however, she couldn't get within five feet of the unit.  A small crowd had gathered, and Bill and Eric were standing guard. 

"People, look!" Eric shouted over the disgruntled patrons, "We have a situation that I can't get into, but which requires that I declare eminent domain and take control of the jukebox for the next hour, maybe two -"

"Two hours!" Lisa Whalley screeched, "You have got to be kidding!  That'll be after midnight, and what's the point then?"

"Really, Eric, how can the jukebox be under eminent domain?" Harry Carmichael argued, casting a distracted look at the nearly hysterical teenager.  "It's a jukebox."

"Well it is," Bill insisted obstinately.  He puffed his chest out importantly.  "Under the authority of Mayor Anderson and Mary Bailey.  Uh, Mary Bailey-Green," he corrected with a quick glance at Eric.

Her hands on her hips, Chloe Walcott turned around to glare at Mary, who was standing directly behind her.  "This is really okay with you?"

"It's for a good cause," Mary assured, stepping around Chloe and her husband, Gary.  Eric held his hand out to her, and she accepted it with a smile.  He pulled her to stand in front of the jukebox with him and Bill, giving her an even clearer view of the hostile crowd facing them.  "How about you all tell us your requests, and if they fit the - the -"

"The needs of the current situation," Eric completed for her, squeezing her hand.  "We'll consider it.  Them."

"Tubthumping," Lisa demanded immediately.  "That's what I want.  It's a song you can actually dance to in a group, and it's not so stupidly romantic."

"Tubthumping?" Eric repeated, his tone incredulous.  "I get knocked down, but I get up again?  That's not even on the jukebox."

"Well it should be!" she huffed, tossing her hair over her shoulder.  Glancing to her left, she fixed her glare on the teenage boy standing beside her, demanding, "C'mon, Sean.  This place is just so low class."

Sean, amazingly, looked completely cowed.  "Uh, sure, Lise," he mumbled, starting to follow after her. 

Mary grabbed his arm, stopping him.  "You and Lisa Whalley?"

"Hell no," Sean returned, almost sneering.  "She got dumped yesterday so I feel bad for her, that's all," he shrugged.  "And besides, nobody's here yet."

"We want Nothing Compares 2 U," Chloe interjected. 

"Uhhh!" Bill declared, imitating a game show buzzer and affecting a nauseous expression.  "No bald chicks.  Harry?"

"Smoke Gets in Your Eyes," he requested hopefully.  "For Lorraine.  It's our song.  We met on New Year's 1987.  And we danced to that song."

"That one I think we can accommodate," Eric decided, reaching for a quarter.  "It meets the slow and romantic requirement."

"Hey!" Chloe protested.  "So does Nothing Compares 2 U."

"We also have a not depressing requirement," Bill informed her, rolling his eyes.  "Hey, Eric.  My Heart Will Go On.  I'm telling you, women love that song."

Mary flashed the deputy an incredulous look.  "Well, I'm not going to claim to speak for all of womankind, but, uh, not so much.  Okay, look," she continued, taking a breath, "First, we've got a request for In Your Eyes.  And second, if you two think you'll be okay here," she said, glancing back and forth between her husband and Bill, "I'm gonna go do some reconnaissance.  Wish me luck!"

"Luck!" Eric joked, giving her a quick kiss. "Though, while you're over there, if there's anyway you can -"

"So, you want me to cut in and dance with Gray or with your Mom?" she asked, rolling her eyes.  Mary didn't wait for his answer and, shaking her head the whole time, made her way over to the edge of the dance floor.  Fernando gave way to I Will Always Love You, and on the other side of the dance floor, Emily and Major Beck moved closer together.  "Wow," Mary muttered to herself.  None of them had expected the plan to work quite this well.  They actually seemed to like each other.  From her vantage point, it looked like Emily was singing along with the song, and amazingly, this seemed to enchant Beck just that much more. 

"Worked like a charm, didn't it?" Gail inquired as she and Gray danced into range. 

"Yeah," Mary agreed, nodding absently as they circled her.  "It's a little scary."  Her gaze focused on the mayor then, and she decided that it was now or never.  "Hate to interrupt," she announced cheerfully, her fingers crossed behind her back, "But I need to cut in, Gray.  Gail, uh," she added, scanning the crowd quickly, "Mr. Hawkins needs a consult on phase two."

"Of course, dear," Gail declared, smiling thankfully at her daughter-in-law.  "If you'll excuse me, Gray?"

He looked less than thrilled at this development, but nodded his agreement and then surprised Mary by holding his hand out to her.  "Shall we?" he asked, "I mean, we're still on surveillance, right?"

"Well, somebody has to," Mary chuckled, accepting the hand of her fifth dance partner of the evening.  Thankfully, I Will Always Love You was drawing to a close - it was definitely not the song Mary wanted to be doing the two-step to with Gray Anderson - and Smoke Gets In Your Eyes began to play.

Gray, apparently taking their surveillance duties very seriously, managed to quickly maneuver them to within a few feet of the happy couple.  And, Beck and Emily did seem to be enjoying themselves.  They whispered back and forth, giggling softly.  Emily braced herself against the major's shoulder, standing on tiptoe to whisper something into his ear.  Laughing, Beck wrapped his arms more tightly around her, spinning her around.  "Bizarre," Gray muttered.  He caught Mary's eye then and, changing the subject, asked, "So, Gail.  Do you think she'd like a mink fur hat?  You know, to keep her head warm?"

"Uh, sure," Mary answered, though she really had no idea.  Did he mean one of those Russian fur hats that looked like you were wearing a giant bottle cap?  She had to stifle a snort as she got a mental picture of her mother-in-law in such a hat.   "I mean, if it's to keep her head warm, right?"  When you put it that way, Mary supposed, it could be seen as a thoughtful - if weird - gift.  "Who wouldn't want one?" she asked, crossing her fingers behind her back.

"That's what I was thinking!" Gray smiled.  "I - you know - have some contacts."

Mary nodded.  She was pretty sure that, these days, Gray's contacts were the same contacts she had - namely, Dale Turner and Skylar Stevens - but if he wanted to get her mother-in-law an expensive present.... Mary groaned.  She could only hope that Gail wouldn't accept the hat, or that if she did, Eric never learned that she'd advised Gray about his choice of gift.

"So..." he started again, only to be interrupted as the jukebox switched over, the opening line - Can anybody find me...somebody to love? - of a Queen song swelling throughout the tavern.  On the dance floor, couples who had been wrapped around each other for the much slower Smoke Gets in Your Eyes separated reluctantly, moving into a faster dance step.  Gray, having lost his train of thought, concentrated on the lyrics, nodding at one that really seemed to speak to him.  "Don't think I know this one," he admitted to Mary, leading her in a circle around Beck and Emily.  Mary, however, was saved from having to respond when Hawkins and Gail danced by, leaving Gray gaping.  "But - but he's married!" he fumed.

"That's what I said," Emily interjected, looking over her shoulder at the mayor and rolling her eyes.

"C'mon," Mary muttered.  She figured it wasn't a good idea to be so close to their marks that they could be overheard and she wanted to put another five or ten feet between them.  Gray, though, was glaring daggers at Hawkins - who was glaring daggers at Scott Nystrom - and Mary had to resort to stepping on Gray's toes in order to draw his attention away from the other couple.  "They're just doing what we're doing," she consoled, catching his forlorn expression.  "Surveillance."

"You - you had a hard time winning Gail over, right?" Gray questioned, frowning.  "After - well, after everything.  But you two get along now, right?  I need to find a better way to get along with Eric," he confessed.  "And Jake," he added a beat later, making a face.  "Any advice?"

"Oh," she whispered.  Mary found herself in the highly unexpected position of almost feeling sorry for Gray Anderson.  But really, what good would it do to give the man hope?  She'd told Eric that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if his mother were to move on, but there was just no way Gail would ever in a million years....  Mary shook her head to clear it.  This was just crazy.  "It, uh, it took us a long time, you know.  About all I can say is, 'if at first you don't succeed, try, try again'?" 

Gray considered this advice for a moment and then smiled.  "Thank you, Mary."

Groaning, Mary offered her own weak smile in return.  Why in the world had she said that?!?  Gray would never give up now, and she was so screwed.  "No problem."

She was saved from further interrogation about her mother-in-law's preferences by the jukebox.  The song switched again and, amazingly, Gail recognized the song seconds before Mary did.  The older woman's gasp - along with Hawkins' murderous grunt - was audible halfway across the dance floor, drawing glances from nearly every couple save Emily and Beck, who continued to dance quite closely, oblivious to everything going on around them.  "Eric Gregory!" Gail shrieked, stomping off in the direction of the jukebox.  Hawkins, arms crossed over his chest and chin jutting out dangerously, caught his daughter's date's eye, glaring.  The two quickly separated.   "William Leslie!" Gail continued, still yelling at the top of her lungs.  "Stanley George!"

Stanley, Mary realized, had joined the other two men at the jukebox at some point, leaving Mimi - who was hiding a snicker behind her hand - alone back at the conspirators' booth.  Now the three men stood in a line in front of the jukebox, as if to protect it.   They looked like nothing so much as little boys in their identical expressions of guilt mixed with fear, Mary thought, chuckling softly to herself.  Meanwhile, Marvin Gaye continued to sing about his desire for Sexual Healing.

"What a woman!" Gray declared, startling Mary.  They'd stopped dancing when everyone else had, and with the spectacle playing out before her, she'd forgotten he was there. 

"Yeah," Mary agreed distractedly, her attention given over to the discussion taking place on the other side of her tavern.  She couldn't hear what was being said over the music and the ambient noise of the crowd, but she could well imagine, based on their gestures and body language, that Gail had demanded that they turn the song off, and that Eric was trying to explain that given how the jukebox had been jury rigged into working again after the EMP, it was impossible.

"So, Eric's initials are really EGG?  Egg?" Gray inquired, surprising his dance partner once again.  He was clearly amused by the idea.

"They really are," Mary confirmed, fighting to not giggle.  "Gail blames thirty seven hours of labor.  I'm gonna go check in with Mimi, okay?" she asked a few seconds later.  Gray nodded, and after flashing him one more smile, she headed over to the booth where Mimi was smirking into her fourth glass of cider.  "What were they thinking?" she asked, cocking her head toward the jukebox as she slid in next to her friend.

"No idea.  I sent Stanley over with a request for Stop! In the Name of Love and instead the Three Amigos picked this," Mimi explained.

"Stop! In the Name of Love?" Mary laughed, "Didn't realize you were such a Motown fan."

Mimi shrugged.  "Nothing wrong with a little Supremes.  Didn't you ever, you know, just dance around to Baby Love or I Hear a Symphony in your pajamas at a slumber party?" 

"Okay, so maybe at Becky Walter's birthday sleepover in the fifth grade there may have been some dancing," Mary admitted, allowing an embarrassed chuckle.  "With hand motions.  Stop! In the Name of Love, You Can't Hurry Love," she shrugged.

"Ha!  I can so picture -"  Mimi was interrupted by the abrupt end of the song mid-chorus, which was immediately followed by a loud scratching sound that reverberated through the tavern.  The two women looked toward the jukebox where Eric stood holding a record, a horrified expression on his face.  Mimi winced sympathetically.  "Oh dear.  Sorry."

"I'm sure I didn't need that record anyway," Mary groaned softly.  "So...the plan seems to be working," she offered a few seconds later, her voice pitched low, as the subjects of the plan moved to the edge of the dance floor, laughing and gasping for breath.

"Guess Mrs. Green thinks that song's a little too hot to handle," Beck chuckled, wrapping his arms loosely around Emily's waist.  "Just like someone I could mention," he grinned, kissing her.

"Well, I don't think I'm too hot to handle," Emily tittered, forcing Mimi and Mary to look anywhere but at the couple in order to hide their matching grimaces.  "C'mon," Emily whispered, reaching back for the major's hand.  Lacing their fingers together, she dragged him back into the center of the packed dance floor, the crowd parting obligingly before them.

Watching them go, Mimi shuddered.  "Okay, this plan may be working too well."

"You have no idea," Mary groaned.

"They say we're young and we don't know.  We won't find out until we grow..." The opening line of I Got You Babe emanated from the restored jukebox and the couples on the floor moved back into one another's arms.  "Well, I don't know if all that's true, 'cause you got me, and baby I got you.  Babe..." 

Mary glanced toward the jukebox and was relieved to see that her mother-in-law was smiling once more.  Stanley had abandoned his amigos and was striding across the tavern toward their booth.  "Hmm, I wonder who picked this one," she teased her friend.

"I got you babe," Stanley sang, slightly off key.  He smiled at his wife and held his hand out to her.  "I got you babe," he grinned, pulling her to her feet.  "I got you too, baby," he added, addressing Mimi's burgeoning belly. 

"This is not the song I requested," she reminded, trying without success to maintain a disapproving look.

Stanley's only answer was to sing along with the next verse.  "I got flowers in the spring.  I got you to wear my ring," he warbled along with Sonny.  Taking a step back and pulling her along, he continued right into the female part, singing, "And when I'm sad, you're a clown, and if I get scared, you're always around."

Mimi couldn't help but smile at the appropriateness of the lyrics.  "I'm a little scared that you know all the words," she giggled, following him onto the dance floor.

"Who doesn't know Sonny and Cher?" Stanley argued, somehow getting her to follow his lead in a modified swing step.  "I got you babe!"

Smiling at her friends' obvious love and affection for one another - a blessed contrast to the rather disturbing experience of watching Emily and Beck flirt - Mary pulled herself up and out of the booth and headed for the jukebox.  Gray, rather predictably, had wandered over to join Gail and was now involved in an argument over what song to play next with Eric and Bill.  Gail listened, ready to intervene, but offered no suggestions.

"In the Midnight Hour," Bill suggested as Eric slipped an arm around Mary, drawing her against his side.  "You know, 'I'm gonna wait 'til the midnight hour'," Bill sang flatly, "'That's when my love comes tumblin' -"

"It's a quarter to eleven!" Eric protested.  "Don't you think we should save that for midnight?  Seeing how that's the whole point of this evening.  Midnight."

"Absolutely right, Eric," Gray pronounced, earning a suspicious frown from his deputy.  "How 'bout Whiter Shade of Pale?  I always liked that one."

"We skipped the light fandango?" Bill snorted, shaking his head.  "Turned cartwheels 'cross the floor?"

"One of sixteen vestal virgins who were leaving for the coast?" Mary added, throwing a significant look in her mother-in-law's direction.  "I don't know, Gray."

Before the mayor could answer, Bill turned around and punched a button.  "There," he declared, chin jutting out defiantly as he turned to face the rest of the ad hoc jukebox steering committee.  "We don't want dead air, right?"

A familiar upbeat tempo began to emanate from the jukebox's speakers.  Mary giggled, throwing Bill an odd look.  "I'm Gonna Be?" she guessed, "Five Hundred Miles?"  She'd always liked the song, and she even considered it to be a romantic, but it was - she had to admit - somewhat unconventionally romantic.  She was rather amazed that Bill - who thought all women loved My Heart Will Go On - had picked it.

"It's a good song," the deputy protested, crossing his arms over his chest.

Smiling, Mary nodded her agreement, laughing when Eric kissed her ear, singing along with The Proclaimers, "If I get drunk, well I know I'm gonna be, I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you."

"You sure that's a good idea?" she teased, squeezing her husband's hand.

Eric didn't answer, settling instead for rolling his eyes and belting out, "But I would walk five hundred miles, and I would walk five hundred more, just to be the man who walks a thousand miles to fall down at your door!"

"Hey look at that," Gray interrupted, directing their attention to the dance floor. 

Amazingly, Major Beck, assisted by Emily, who was laughing and beaming at her partner, were leading a bizarre line dance that nearly everyone - Stanley and Mimi seemed to be trying to escape - was participating in.  During the chorus, they all marched in place with great enthusiasm, and then with a dramatic flair that would have done Eric proud, Beck actually did fall to his knees in front of Emily.  A good portion of the men followed his lead, falling down in front of their dates, though unfortunately, Gary Walcott, in his exuberance, appeared to throw his back out.

"Oh my goodness," Gail murmured, summing up the situation for them all.

On the dance floor, Stanley followed closely behind his wife as they snaked their way through the marching crowd.  They were just about clear when Beck grabbed his arm.  "Stanley!" he shouted, a wide grin lighting his face.  Stanley could hardly believe the transformation in the man; there wasn't a visible trace of tears or mucus anywhere on him.  "Join us!  And when the money comes in for the work I do," he sang, flashing a grin over his shoulder at Emily.  "I'll pass almost every penny on to you."

"Uh, looks a little too strenuous for my date," Stanley yelled back, nodding at Mimi who'd moved safely out of the way and stood watching them, both her hands resting on top of her pregnant belly.  "May - maybe next time."

"Of course," Beck acknowledged, his expression turning serious, though thankfully not maudlin.  "You're right!  You go take care of her," he ordered, clapping Stanley on  the shoulder.  "And that baby.  That baby's the future."

Joining the rest of the conspirators gathered around the jukebox, Stanley couldn't help but observe, "You know, I think the plan's workin' a little too well."  Mesmerized by the spectacle before them, the others simply nodded their agreement.

The song and dance came to an end.  Around Emily and Beck, a number of people allowed disappointed groans before cheering softly - surprisingly - for Major Beck.  As the crowd dispersed, Emil threw her arms around him, beaming.  "Oh, Ed!" she proclaimed, "That was fun!  You're really a lot of fun, you know that?"

"It's been awhile since I had this much fun," he admitted, smiling in return.  "I think you're good for me, Emily Sullivan."  She kissed him in reward.  Elton John's Your Song began to play and Beck pulled her close.  She twined her arms around his neck, humming along with the melody.  "This in nice," he sighed, pressing a kiss to her hairline.  Dancing, they circled around slowly and, catching sight of Mimi across the room, Beck couldn't help but ask, "So, do you like kids?"

Emily pulled back slightly, smiling at him.  "Of course!  I just can't wait to have one of my own," she declared enthusiastically.  Out of the corner of her eye, Emily caught sight of Robert Hawkins skulking around the edge of the dance floor as he closely observed Allison and her boyfriend.  "So, is that the kind of dad you'd be?" she teased Beck, pointing out the hyper vigilant father.  "Following your daughter around?  Spying on her dates?" she giggled.

He offered her a melancholic smile, and for a moment Emily worried that she'd said the wrong thing, remembering belatedly that somewhere she'd heard that he'd not only been married before the bombs, but that he'd had a daughter.  Maybe he didn't want kids!  Maybe she was coming on too strong.... 

Beck cleared his throat, twirling her around slowly.  "Well, you never know," he murmured, joking, "I might be worse!  So, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?"

 "Guess so," she sighed, relieved.  Emily leaned against the major, resting her head on his shoulder.  Surprisingly, she liked being with him, she liked being in his arms.  And, when she remembered how everyone had joined in, following his lead for the dance... he really was a natural born leader.  Wasn't that what Mimi and Mary had said?  Emily wasn't sure she could really trust them, but still she could see this relationship working out.  Her supposed best friend might have him, but she could have an honest to goodness army major, one that - with her help - could lead this town one day.  That was definitely better than sheriff, or deputy mayor, or even mayor - all those merely midlevel positions the Greens aspired to.  Emily raised her head, smiling contentedly and pressing her mouth to his.  "Just have to wait and see," she whispered.

The song changed again.  It was faster than the last one, requiring a more energetic dancing and Beck reluctantly let his partner out of his embrace, though he kept possession of both her hands.  He knew this song, and he'd always liked it.  And tonight, the words just seemed to speak to him. 

"Oh what a night," Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons crooned.  "You know I didn't even know her name."

Emily, Beck reminded himself.  Her name was Emily.  So that part wasn't exactly right, but the rest was dead on.  He pulled her close, breathing, "Emily."

"Ed," she grinned in returned, pulling away and dancing around him.

She was, he decided then, a force to be reckoned with. "What a lady, what a night," he hummed along with the jukebox.  "Oh, I got a funny feeling when she walked in the room, and as I recall, it ended much too soon," the song continued.  Beck was pretty sure she'd been there when he'd arrived at the tavern hours earlier, but he had gotten a little bit of a funny feeling - a thrill of anticipation - when he'd asked her to dance.  And, he realized, momentarily stunned by the thought, he didn't want this to end, certainly not any time soon.  "Hypnotizing, mesmerizing me, she was everything I dreamed she'd be.  Sweet surrender, what a night!"

Sweet surrender, indeed, Beck thought, drawing Emily back into his arms and then dipping her with a flourish.  He was hypnotized.  And mesmerized.  There was just something about her.

"Why'd it take so long to see the light?  Seemed so wrong, but now it seems so right," The Four Seasons continued.  "What a lady, what a night!"

It had taken him a long time to see the light.  Too long.  It was over two years since the bombs, and nineteen, twenty months that he'd been in Jericho.  It was time he moved on, Beck decided, Eric, Stanley and Bill were right about that.  At one time they'd been his enemies, but now he realized, they were true friends.  He hugged her close, burying his face in her hair.  "Emily," he sighed.

"Well, I think it's time for another round of reconnaissance," Gray announced, holding his hand out to Gail.  "Shall we?"

"Uh, we'll go," Eric interjected quickly, grabbing Mary's arm.  "You all better pick out the next song," he suggested over his shoulder, already dragging his wife toward the dance floor.

"You'll have to do that without me," Mimi informed the remaining four.  "I need to make a trip to the little girl's room."

"I'll walk you," Stanley offered quickly.

"So, what should we pick?" Gray asked, stepping closer to the jukebox.  He surveyed the menu, mumbling to himself, "Something romantic... something romantic."

"Whatever we pick, it needs to be good," Bill argued, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at a hopeful looking Art Robeson as he approached the unit.  "I can't keep putting people off forever," he muttered.  "Sorry, Art!" he continued using what he liked to think of as his 'crowd control' voice.  "Try back in fifteen."

"I just got engaged, Bill," Art protested.

But the deputy was unmoved.  "Fifteen," he repeated, "It's for the good - the good of the town.  See what I mean?" he asked glancing sideways at Gray and Gail.  "Thank God Lisa Whalley's disappeared.  That girl's got a screech that hits registers only dogs can hear," Bill complained.  "Gives me a headache."  Silently they watched as Gary Walcott, propped up between his wife and younger brother, hobbled toward the door.  "Least Chloe won't be requesting any more Sine-Aid," he chortled, "But seriously, I think we need to pick one, maybe two more songs.  It's either gonna work or it's not, right?"

"And it seems to be workin'," Gray observed, nodding toward Beck and Emily who danced on, seemingly oblivious to the crowd around them. 

"Well then, what we need is a piece de resistance," Gail decided as she squeezed in between the two men and began to study the display.

"Some Lionel Ritchie, maybe?  Or some Chicago?  Beatles?" Gray suggested. 

"All good," she agreed, "But I think we want E-1.  It's perfect."

Bill leaned over Gail to read, pushing her into Gray, not that he minded.  "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her?"

What a dream I had, pressed in organdy...

"It's my song!" Emily gasped suddenly, raising her head.  Beck's expression was questioning.  "Well, I don't own it," she giggled, "But it's got my name.  Not in the song actually, but in the title," she explained, smiling softly.  "For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her."

Clothed in crinoline of smoky burgundy.  Softer than the rain...

Beck strained to hear the words.  Simon and Garfunkel he guessed finally.  He wasn't a fan - they were a little too granola for his tastes - but he'd seen The Graduate, so he knew what they sounded like. 

I wandered empty streets down past the shop displays, I heard cathedral bells tripping down the alleyways.  As I walked on...

Instinctively, Beck tightened his hold on her, tucking Emily's head against his chest.

And when you ran to me, your cheeks flushed with the night, we walked on frosted fields of juniper and lamplight.  I held your hand...

Beck let out a breath he hadn't known he'd been holding.  Emily clutched at his shirt, her fingers curling in the fabric.  He laid his hand over hers, moving it two inches left so that it rested over his heart.

And when I awoke and felt you warm and near, I kissed your honey hair with my grateful tears...

"I love this part," she sighed, her breath warm against the skin of his neck, just above his shirt collar.

Oh I love you, girl.  Oh, I love you.

"Emily," he whispered in return.  He didn't know what else to say, he was just so overwhelmed by her...and so tired of being alone.  But he didn't have to be alone anymore.  "Emily," he repeated, lifting her chin with one finger.  He pressed a kiss to her mouth.  "Marry me?"

"Oh, God," Mary squeaked into Eric's shoulder.  She pushed him as hard as she could, forcing him to back up, bashing him into five people in quick succession.  They yelped and yelled, protesting the assault on their persons, but she didn't hear. 

Mary faced her husband, his wide-eyed, gaping like a guppy expression a perfect match for her own. "Uh, I think we may have overshot with the plan," Eric groaned softly.  In the next instance he grabbed her, pulling her to him and assuming a tango pose.  "Coming through!" he shouted.  "Coming through!" they yelled in unison, bumping into yet more customers as they made a high-stepping beeline toward their booth.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
11 PM, December 31, 2008

A gleeful trio had gathered around the jukebox, pressing in closely to look over the selections. "I want something from this century," Emma Blythe was saying to her Jericho High classmates. Scott and Allison looked doubtfully down at the song titles.

"Hey, I heard someone had commandeered the music," said Matt Jenkins, walking up to the group and kissing Emma quickly.

"Someone did, but they're gone now," said Scott, and he and Allison glanced over at the booth in the corner. "They got called away for some kind of crisis," said Allison.

The occupants of the booth did appear to be in crisis mode. They sat close together around the circular table, their heads leaning in, whispering frantically and glancing around the room.

"I just can't believe how well our plan worked," said Eric, for what Mimi noted was the seventh time. 

"This was not the original intent of our plan," Gail countered, for the third time, Mimi thought to herself.

"I don't see what the big deal is," said Bill from across the table. "It's not like it means anything. They're just drunk and having a good time on New Year's."

"Yeah, I'm sure it's happened before," said Stanley, wedged uncomfortably between Mimi and Bill.

"But there could be consequences. Liabilities. Ramifications," squeaked Eric, his voice getting higher with each possibility.

"For what, a proposal that someone decided to make on their own? No one here told him to ask her to marry him," said Mimi.

"I still can't believe it," said Eric, and Mimi fixed him with an annoyed expression as her mental tally climbed.

"I can't believe she said yes. She really said yes?" asked Stanley.

"She said yes," came Mary's voice. They turned to look over at her as she put a hand on the edge of the bench and slid in beside Eric. Emily had waltzed over and asked for the bar-owner's  attention a few minutes earlier and Mary had reluctantly left the group to continue reeling over what she and Eric had overheard. Now her face was a picture of shock as she absently leaned against her husband in the crowded booth. "She is serious."

Mimi raised her eyebrows and whispered something under her breath as Stanley let out a low whistle. Bill chuckled. Gail flashed him a reproachful look. "What? She's not going to actually marry him," he added.

"Oh, she is," said Mary in a curiously cheery voice that didn't match her facial expression.

"Well, even if she is, you can't be held liable," said Mimi. "A drunken proposal can't be blamed on the server. Or the establishment."

"Well, I'm glad you think so. Emily just asked me if she could hold her wedding here," said Mary.

Around the table, eyes popped out of sockets and mouths dropped open. Bill was the only one who looked non-plussed. "So? You have a right to refuse to hold a wedding here."

Gail cleared her throat and added, "And a few months to figure out how to turn her down."

Mary still had a look of shock on her face as she shook her head. "No, I really don't."

Eric turned to look at her, concerned that she was still using the strangely cheery voice.

"Okay, what's going on?" asked Stanley. "What now?"

Gray appeared at the table that moment. His expression mirrored Mary's. He looked as though he'd seen a ghost.

"What?" asked Bill.

Gray sputtered, but seemed unable to speak.

"What?" it was Gail's turn to ask. She looked from her would-be suitor to her daughter-in-law. "Mary Kathleen, tell me what's going on!"

Mary's eyes widened even farther as she answered, "Emily told me she wants to get married here...tonight!"

Though the rest of the bar was filled with the sounds of celebrating patrons and Emma Blythe's music selection, the circular booth was plunged into a dead silence.

Gray awkwardly broke it a moment later, saying, "And Beck just asked me to go 'whip up a marriage license'."

The conspirators gasped as if in one breath. Several seconds passed, though it would be hard to say how many as even Mimi wasn't counting.

"How bad is this?" asked Gray, breaking the silence once again, a grimace on his face.

"Oh, it's bad," Eric began, flashing him an angry look. "When we decided to set them up, we never knew -"

"Exactly!" cut in Mimi. "We didn't know they'd do this. They made this decision themselves. We're not responsible."

"Easy for you to say," Eric countered. "You can't seriously think we should let them go through with this."

"But Emily is serious," murmured Mary. "She -"

"Oh, there you all are!" came the voice of Emily herself, who had appeared suddenly at their table. Gray jumped at the sound, and quickly squished into the booth beside Mary. Emily took no notice of the mayor's scrambling to get away from her, turning to beam at the group as she spoke.

"I take it you've all heard the news," she gushed. Her smile grew slightly smaller as they stared back at her, open-mouthed. "Of my forthcoming marriage!" she added emphatically. She looked from blank face to blank face. "Well, aren't you going to say you're happy for me?"

"Uh, of course sweetheart," stammered Gail. "We're very...happy for you." Gray nodded dazedly.

"Yeah, I know," said Emily. "Well, Ed and I really want all our friends there, so I guess that means we want all of you to be there." She laughed to herself. "But it's not like you're going to go anywhere, is it?"

Gail noticed her son and daughter-in-law looking very distraught as they considered, she was certain, the prospect of hosting a Sullivan-Beck merger in their establishment. "Emily, are you sure this is what you want? Sure you don't want to think about it?"

"I'm done with thinking!" Emily proclaimed. It was a mark of the absurdity of the situation that even Stanley couldn't come up with a smart remark to whisper under his breath. "I want a New Year's Eve wedding. At the stroke of midnight. New Year's Eve is the most romantic night of the year. I'm not waiting til next year. I'm not going to be one of those people who doesn't seize the day." She pointedly looked directly at Eric, who recovered from his shock enough to narrow his eyes.

"And you have to have it here?" asked Bill.

Emily looked slightly annoyed by that question. "Well, this is where everyone is. Since there's no time to send out invitations, we have to take it where the party is. However lame it may be," she said, smiling through her sarcastic tone. "So that's why I'm turning to all of you. My friends." She swallowed, and Eric wondered if she had realized how fake her last statement had sounded. She pushed on, plastering a smile on her face. "I was hoping you could all help me pull off a beautiful, romantic wedding."

Mimi finally regained her power of speech. "Don't you think an hour is a little short notice? For a wedding, you need flowers, music, paperwork, someone to officiate, guests, dresses for the bridesmaids, bridesmaids..." As she trailed off, she couldn't help but exchange a worried look with Mary. Emily seemed to catch it, but only laughed.

"Don't worry, I don't want you. You were just her bridesmaids last week. I don't want leftovers. Besides, you look like you could pop at any moment, and that would not look pretty in the wedding pictures. Oh, pictures!" Emily moved quickly to her next problem, not catching the dangerous look Mimi shot in her direction, or the one Stanley was sending her way as he said, "We didn't have pictures at our wedding."

"You didn't marry an army major either," said Emily. "I want this to be perfect. I want this night to be memorable."

"More chance of the second," mumbled Eric.

"So are you all going to help or what?" asked Emily. "Come on, you know all about weddings," she shot at Eric. "I need you guys."

Most of the occupants of the booth seemed to be avoiding her gaze. Stanley was studying the table intensely, Mimi seemed to be tapping a rhythm with her fingers against her pregnant belly, Gail was absently twisting the ring on her finger, Gray was watching Gail as subtly as he could, and Mary and Eric seemed to be engaged in some kind of silent dialogue, sending each other sideways looks. Only Bill couldn't find anywhere else to look as Emily raised her eyebrows. "Well?"

"Uh..." stammered Bill, looking around for help - "Sounds good?"

"Great! I knew I could count on you!" oozed Emily. She promptly turned to the first person she could reach, Mimi, who was sitting on the end of the bench, and grabbed her in an enthusiastic hug, rocking from side to side before she let go. Mimi grimaced. On the other side of the table, Gray shrunk back into the booth, squishing Mary further into Eric and prompting an angry glare from the deputy mayor, who was attempting to shuffle them all down the bench.

Emily, however, soldiered on, getting right down to business. She gripped the edges of the table, leaning forward. "Okay, so we'll need everything she said. Flowers, photos, clothes, an aisle for me to walk down, somewhere for the guests to sit, music, food, someone to perform the ceremony, people to be in the ceremony, and, you know, the paperwork and stuff." She let out a breath after rattling out the list. She glanced around at her silent audience. "You can be wedding planner, you're that type," she said, looking at Mimi. "And you, you can be her consultant, Green."

Eric, Mary, and Gail exchanged looks. "The bouquet-tossing Green," said Emily, pointing her finger at Mary. "Consult on wedding stuff. I want this one to top the last one." She turned to Eric. "And you can consult for Ed, since you have lots of groom experience." She chortled, turning to Bill. "You can do security," and then to Stanley, "You can do the heavy lifting. And you're the mayor, so..." she trailed off as she contemplated Gray. "You can make sure no one disturbs the peace." Lastly, she glanced at Gail. "And you can make everyone do what they're supposed to do, Mrs. Green."

Gail was watching Emily now with a strange expression. She had pursed her lips together in a small smile, and she nodded. "Alright, Emily."

Gail's change in mood seemed to affect the rest of the table, who were now looking back at Emily with interest. Emily seemed to grow even more enthusiastic as she looked around at them. "Oh, great! I'm going to go tell Eddie that you're all on board, and then we can get started! Because I'm getting married!" She shouted the last part as loudly as she could, throwing her arms up in the air, and glancing around to see how many bar patrons were looking. Indeed, quite a few had turned to stare.

Beaming, she waltzed away.

Around the table, sly looks were being exchanged.

"So, is anyone still going to object to the big Sullivan-Beck wedding being held here tonight?" asked Bill.

"I say we plan her a wedding she'll never forget!" said Stanley.

"She wants a party, let's give her what she wants," nodded Mary. "Can someone make a bouquet?"

Eric looked as though he were still trying to protest. "But - what happens if -"

"Honey," said Gail, laying a hand on his arm. "I think it's pretty clear this wedding'll happen whether we help it along or not. So we'll just keep things running smoothly."

"Yeah, think about it Eric," whispered Mary from his other side. "We could still get out of here by 2:15." She raised her eyebrows.

"Hopefully I won't have popped by then," smirked Mimi. "Yeah, I'll plan her a celebration all right."

"Gray?" asked Gail. They all turned to look at their mayor.

"Well, she seems to have her mind made up," he said slowly. "Probably be pretty pointless to argue with her. We may as well help her out. Hell, I'll even officiate!"

Gail chuckled. "I think you'll have to. I've known Reverend Young for forty years, and there's no way he'll be willing to perform a quickie wedding for two such...enthusiastic participants."

"Drunk, you mean," grumbled Eric.

Gail continued, "He only marries couples who come in for pre-marital counseling."

Gray grinned, leaning closer. Eric grimaced as he and Mary were squeezed between his mother and his boss. "I can have the papers ready in a few minutes," Gray boasted.

"Eric?" asked Stanley. Everyone looked to the deputy mayor, who was contemplating his knuckles. He looked up at them slowly, and reached one fist into the middle of the circle, holding it over the table. "New Year's?" he asked with a small smile.

Silently grinning at each other, the other occupants of the booth followed suit, laying their hands in the centre of the table, over his.

A few minutes later, the tavern was a flurry of preparations for the wedding. In amongst the customers who had come to spend New Year's together, the rather good spirited recruits of the wedding committee were setting up for the ceremony.

"That's a pretty narrow aisle, Bill," observed Gail as she stepped between the rows of seating Bill and Stanley had been setting up in one area of the bar. "You don't want her dress not to fit through, you know."

"But I'm doing my best," grumbled Bill, fighting with a folding chair. "This place wasn't really designed for a grand procession. Where am I supposed to fit all these chairs in?"

"It's okay," said Gail, trying to smile encouragingly. "I don't think many of the, er, guests will be sitting down. Just make sure there's an aisle."

"Where's she going to get a pouffy dress at this hour?" asked Stanley, forcefully dropping his last chair into place. He struggled to climb over the row of chairs a second later, as he'd trapped himself in between the chairs he'd set up and the metal railing that ran above the raised part of the floor.

"The girls are on it," said Gail confidently.

"Good luck to them," muttered Bill, dragging another chair over from a table, amidst protests from its occupants. "It's for a good cause, folks, and you'll get to see it all happen, in about fifty minutes."

"Forty-nine!" said Gail, walking brusquely across the floor. "That's looking good, dear," she called glancing upwards. Skylar Stevens was balancing on a stool in her bare feet, fixing a streamer to the ceiling. Dale Turner stood on the ground nearby, tossing another roll of crepe paper streamers up to her.

"Just wait'll it's done," said Dale.

The decorating job they were inflicting on the bar did look rather impressive, given the materials they had to work with. Purple and yellow streamers twisted and curled across the ceiling in one direction. Skylar had a hold of two colours right now, and was beginning the process of entwining them in the air.

"Looking good, Stevens," drawled Sean Henthorn, whistling as he came by with a stack of paper.

"You too, perv," she threw back with a teasing grin. "I know when a guy's trying to look up my dress," she informed him, not at all fooled by his exaggerated 'who me?' expression.

Sean stepped back, shrugging innocently. "And Turner, happy New Year. How'd you guys get involved in our little party?"

"We got recruited at the door," said Dale, looking slightly annoyed.

"Dale!" exclaimed Skylar frantically from her perch. He looked up. "Tape?" she asked, stretching to hold her streamers in place. He quickly tore a piece of tape off the roll he'd been wearing around his wrist.

Sean laughed. "Cute. You guys make a cute pair of decorators."

"As cute as you and Lisa Whalley?" asked Skylar from overhead. She wobbled slightly and Dale placed a hand on the small of her back to steady her. "I saw you in the corner, having a little party of your own when we first got here." She slipped off the stool, raising her eyebrows at Sean.

"Yeah," he said, laughing to himself, and handing the stack of paper to Gail, who eyed him disapprovingly.

"Didn't she just break up with Matt yesterday?" asked Skylar.

"He dumped her for Emma Blythe," said Sean, gesturing towards the jukebox.

"So where'd your date go?" asked Dale humorlessly.

"Nah, she's not my date, it was just a pity -"

"Sean Patrick!"

Sean had no time to duck as the stack of paper he had been carrying a few minutes earlier smacked him in the back of the head.

"What? She got what she wanted," protested Sean sheepishly as Gail frowned at him. He backed away from her glare, and stumbled over something on the floor.

"Watch my Jimmy Choos!" exclaimed Skylar, who had one hand on Dale's shoulder as she climbed onto another stool nearby, the streamers in her hands. Sean caught his balance, made a face, and continued to cross the floor.

"Alright, so we've got food," Mimi was saying on the other side of the bar, wrinkling her nose as she held a pen over the clipboard she was carrying.

"Yeah, food," smirked Emily, who was trailing behind her as they exited the kitchen.

"I think my last bag of jalapeño poppers and the only tub of mini cream puffs we've had around here since the bombs are pretty good for an impromptu post-midnight reception," muttered Mary, following close behind them.

"Well, you'll just have to serve plenty of your home brew first," said Emily cheerfully. "Then no one'll be able to taste anything."

Seeing Mary narrow her eyes, Mimi said loudly, "Drinks, check. What's next on the list..." She glanced down as Emily and Mary came to stand on either side of her. "The guys are doing the setup, Gail's doing flowers of some sort, clothes for the wedding party..."

"Are you even going to have a wedding party?" asked Mary. "A lot of people don't. At an intimate ceremony, you don't really need -"

"Oh, I'm going to have a wedding party," cut in Emily. "I want this to be the wedding of the season. So mine has to have a sophisticated, stylish wedding party that looks good in pictures."

"Sophisticated, stylish, good in pictures," repeated Mimi doubtfully.

"And younger, and hipper, and not looking like a whale," Emily continued.

Mimi paused, her pen in midair, and quickly looked away to grit her teeth. Mary plastered a cheery smile on her face while her friend took a moment to compose herself. "Maybe a neighbor then? Or a co-worker?" she asked in a bright voice.

Emily snorted. "Okay, why don't we see if the groom has any bright ideas," said Mary quickly. They looked sideways. Beck was seated at the bar, a few feet away from them, watching his bride-to-be with an adoring smile and sipping another drink.

"Yeah, that's likely," Mimi whispered.

Emily, however, was quickly at his side, running her hand along his arm. "Ed, honey, we're planning a wedding party."

"Sounds good," he said, grinning over at Mimi and Mary before looking back at her.

"I'm thinking we should go bold - have some people who'll complement us up there, and really shine for the photographer," said Emily.

Beck nodded. "How about Eric and Stanley?"

Mary and Mimi glanced at each other nervously, but Emily lost the grin on her face. "Honey, don't you want someone a little more...glamorous? We're going to have the wedding of the year!"

"But they're my friends," protested Beck.

"I'm your friend," said Emily. "And we don't need them. Not with a bar full of..." she glanced around.

"Quite the stylish selection you'll find here," laughed Mimi as she nodded over at the roomful of townspeople. "Cherokee, Wrangler, Sag Harbor, it's a regular fashion - is that Prada?"

She was peering at Skylar, who had now climbed onto a bench in a corner booth, attaching an elaborate bow she'd fashioned from streamers to a hanging lamp. Her black dress shimmered in the low lighting as she twisted sideways, to laugh at something Dale was saying from the ground.

"Oh, Skylar's here!" said Emily, her eyes suddenly lighting up. "And Dale! My old students!" Without warning, she dashed across the room. Mary and Mimi followed quickly behind, leaving Beck at the bar, still smiling to himself.

They passed Gail along the way, who was seated at the booth, papers spread in front of her, but watching Emily with curiosity.

Skylar had just climbed down from the bench, and had no warning. Emily engulfed her in a hug.

"Miss Sullivan," she choked as Emily let go. "Congratulations on your wedding. I've been helping with the decorations."

"Why, thank you," Emily grinned, with a very showy self-consciousness. "You're so talented. You were always so talented. I was so glad I had you in my class, and got to see you developing...all that talent. Those were good times, weren't they?"

"Uh..." said Skylar, who, to her own credit, didn't flinch as Emily grabbed onto her arms, in an apparent show of nostalgic affection.

"Remember that time you got a little bored in my class and we had a little disagreement?" asked Emily with a chuckle. "That time you were taking pictures with your phone and I had to confiscate it?"

"You mean the time you broke my phone?" asked Skylar.

"That's the time!" said Emily exuberantly. "And you were so upset you had to go cry in the bathroom. You've grown up so much since then. So much."

"Yeah," said Skylar coolly, attempting to step back. Dale stepped closer to her, fixing Emily with a stare.

"And Dale!" exclaimed Emily, letting go of Skylar to give Dale an affectionate punch in the shoulder. "You turned into a grown up too. No more taking naps in Miss Sullivan's class for you, huh?"

Dale merely gave her a quizzical look.

"I am so glad you're both here. That you can both come to my wedding," Emily gushed. "It means so much to me to have my former students here, cheering me on. Little minds I had a hand in shaping, young kids I helped guide on their path to becoming wonderful, contributing young adults. With nice clothes. Did you get that on your travels?" she asked, glancing at Dale's designer dress pants.

"They were my dad's," said Skylar quietly.

"Well, he had great taste!" said Emily, bestowing a generous grin on both young people.

"Yeah," said Dale awkwardly.

"And so do you!" she continued.

Sean Henthorn smirked as he walked by.

"And Sean's here too!" cried Emily, getting positively radiant. "All my old students are here. I'm so glad I can have you all here to support me on my special day. Do you know what I'd really love?"

She looked around at three blank faces. "I'd love it if you'd stand up there with me. With me and Ed. Would you like that? To be a part of my special day?"

All three of her former students stared back at her, their expressions a mixture of apprehension, shock, and revulsion. Exchanging a panicked look with Mimi, Mary quickly stepped forward.

"Emily, can you help me, I need to get your opinion on something," she said, reaching for Emily's arm. "A wedding consulting emergency," she added as Emily showed signs of protesting. She dragged Emily away, and Mimi stepped up quickly to talk to the would-be wedding party.

Watching as, on one side of the room, Mary frantically looked around, gesticulating to an impatient Emily, while on the other, Mimi spoke quickly and covertly to the group of teens, her hands on her belly the whole time, Robert Hawkins chuckled to himself. Bailey's on a busy night really was better entertainment than anything that used to be broadcast on network television. He quickly went back to scanning the bar, looking over at Allison and Scott, who were still hanging around the jukebox with the sloppily affectionate teenagers. Scott had his arm around Allie again, but was behaving himself so far. He looked around the bar again. Stanley and Bill had taken seats on either side of Gail, and were attempting to follow her instructions in folding something out of paper, frustrated looks on their faces. The major was at the bar, chatting excitedly about something with Dr. Dhuwalia. Darcy was walking towards him.

Darcy! Hawkins shook his head and looked up again as his wife made a beeline towards him. Sam was scampering behind her in his pajamas.

"Darcy, what are you doing here?" he asked.

"Hi Dad!" exclaimed Sam, giving an odd little jump beside him.

"Hi, son," he said with a smile, which vanished as he turned back to Darcy.

"What am I doing here? Robert, what are you doing here? You said you'd be back and we'd have our own little celebration. Samuel's been waiting for you to come home all night."

"I'm going to stay up this year, Dad!" grinned Sam.

"And I've been waiting," she said more quietly, leaning towards him, a frown on her face.

"I'm sorry, Dee, I got detained," he said.

She rolled her eyes. "You're not doing Allison any favors by spying on her, it only shows her you don't trust her."

"Not Allie. There's a bit of a situation that's come up."

"What kind of situation?" she asked, a familiar look of fear surfacing on her features. "Should we be worried, Robert?"

Hawkins couldn't help but chuckle. For a moment, she looked annoyed, but as she caught on that she didn't need to be on high alert, she smiled grudgingly. "So what is it, Rob?"

"You're not going to believe this," he said, leaning closer to her as Sam jumped around on the spot to the latest song coming from the jukebox.

"So everyone understand why we need to keep this going?" Mimi was asking the circle of teens who had gathered around her.

Sean nodded fervently, and the others nodded less enthusiastically.

"We're going to help out a good cause!" said Sean.

"Get Miss Sullivan interested in something besides throwing darts at people," nodded Skylar.

"Make a better future for your baby," grinned Emma.

"Help the town that raised us and depends on us get through a delicate situation," Dale said dully.

"Keep this party from getting any more lame," said Allison. Scott snickered.

"It's for the good of the town, for the good of our future, and Ms. Bailey-Green'll give you free drinks for a month," summarized Mimi.

"So everyone better pitch in," said Sean, puffing out his chest and eyeing his peers authoritatively.

"Do we get free drinks tonight?" asked Matt, snaking his hand around Emma's waist. Emma giggled.

"It's a wedding reception. Stick around and there'll be drinks for people who helped," said Mimi.

"There's what for what now?" asked Eric, striding over with Gray close behind him.

"Desperate times," said Mimi through gritted teeth, still smiling at the group of teenagers.

"Where's Mary?" asked Eric.

Mimi shrugged, looking around. "How did it go with -"

"We've got the license. And I checked out the annulment procedures of Fillmore county," he said conspiratorially. Mimi frowned at him. "Just in case," he protested.

"I'm going to show Gail the paperwork," said Gray, taking the folder from Eric and strolling away before he could protest.

"So, what's this little party gathered around for?" asked Eric awkwardly, finding himself in the midst of the seven teenagers.

"Meet the wedding party," said Mimi, motioning at Skylar, Dale, and Sean. Eric stifled a laugh.

"And where are the stars of the wedding?" he asked.

"Well, the groom is apparently touring the kitchen," said Mimi, making a face. "And the bride is..."

The bride's voice rang loudly over their voices at that moment. "Pulling me out of an important conversation to talk about parental loss and how it comes up on special occasions is not an emergency!" Emily was saying, as she pulled a thoroughly disgruntled looking Mary back into their midst with her. "You're dragging me down, Green. Do you not want my wedding to go well? Do you not care at all about my happiness?"

"Emily," cut in Mimi, flashing her friend a sympathetic look before turning back to the bride-to-be. "Say hello to your wedding party."

Sean, Skylar, and Dale smiled bravely back at her as Matt, Emma, Scott and Allison quickly retreated a step back. Emily's face broke out in a grin. "Very nice," she said. "You guys will be great. Thank you so much."

She stepped forward to hug them, but Skylar held up a hand. "Prada," she said, pointing to her dress. Emily merely beamed. Then she stopped abruptly, frowning. "Two groomsmen and only one bridesmaid?"

Mimi and Eric were silent, and the teens glanced around nervously.

"Green. How many bridesmaids at her wedding?" asked Emily, turning back to look at Mary.

"Me and Mimi," said Mary slowly, giving Emily a strange look. "But you already knew -"

"I need another," declared Emily, looking quickly from Emma, who was shifting her weight from foot to foot, absently twirling a piece of hair in her fingers, to Allison, who met her gaze steadily. Emily grinned.

Allison caught the pointed, pleading looks the other three adults were giving her and sighed.

"So, what are we eating?" Beck was asking as he looked around the tavern's kitchen.

"Jalapeño poppers," said Bill, unenthusiastically following behind the major.

Beck, however, broke into a bigger grin. "My favorite!"

"Figures," Stanley whispered. "That's just heartburn city waiting to happen."

"And this is dessert?" asked Beck, holding up the tub of cream puffs defrosting on the counter.

"Yeah, I guess," said Stanley out loud, leaning to whisper to Bill. "Whose idea was it to bring him for a kitchen tour anyway? There's nothing else to show him."

"Well, Gail said he might get bored and wander off if we didn't distract him somehow. And this way he's not messing up the decorations or scaring off the guests," muttered Bill.

"True enough," replied Stanley. "But I don't know if pots and pans will distract him very long."

"These remind me of Emily," said Beck, holding up the cream puffs.

"I'm not sure what to do with that," said Stanley.

"They're something she would like," said Beck thoughtfully. "She's a classy lady."

"That she is," said Bill with an ironic smile.

"I think the food is perfect," declared Beck. He motioned to the tray on top of the oven, over which the frozen jalapeño poppers were spread out. "Jalapeño poppers for me, cream puffs for her. They go together, just like we do."

He was smiling to himself, and made no sign of hearing Stanley murmur, "I'll say."

"So, I can check off wedding party," Mimi said in an efficient tone, holding up her clipboard as the circle of people looked on. "Next item: clothes."

Emily pursed her lips. "I want everything to be perfect. Even on short notice. It's going to be the wedding of the season after all." She surveyed her wedding party. "They look great," she said, motioning to Dale and Skylar. "They need something," she continued, pointing out Sean's wrinkled punk rock t-shirt and Allison's jeans.

"Are you going with the Mardi Gras theme?" asked Skylar.

"What?" asked Emily.

"Well, the streamers..." said Skylar, trailing off as Mary caught her eye and made a cutting motion in the air.

"It's New Year's. Not Mardi Gras. And it's going to be the wedding of this winter," simpered Emily. She looked suddenly annoyed at the many pairs of eyes watching her. "Green!" she said, making a motion with her hands. Eric and Mary reluctantly stepped forward. "Bouquet tossing Green," she amended. "And wedding planner," she nodded at Mimi. "Consulting conference over here."

Eric watched as his wife and Mimi followed Emily to a spot a few feet away, where it seemed Emily began to ask a series of questions, which they were answering with determination.

"Well, you guys have fun with that!" Matt finally broke the silence. "We'll see you at the reception!"

"You're not sticking around?" asked Allison in dismay.

"We're going to dance!" said Emma, pulling Matt's arm around her shoulder.

Allison shook her head at her friends' retreat, grateful at least that Scott offered her a sympathetic smile and put his arm around her.

"Beep! Incoming!" shouted a little voice, and Allison did a double take as a short figure nearly slammed into them.

"What are you doing here, Sam?" she asked.

"Hi Allison! Hi Scott!" beamed Sam. Allison barely had time to wonder what her brother could possibly be doing, in a bar, at 11:17 pm, in his Spiderman pajamas'.

"Hey, kids," said Darcy, flashing Allison an apologetic smile as Hawkins came to stand beside them too. Scott slowly loosened his grip on Allison's shoulder. "Having a good night?" Darcy asked.

"Not really. I've been drafted," said Allison.

Hawkins chuckled. "I hear our letter went over well."

"Not funny, Dad. I'm a bridesmaid," said Allison.

Darcy and Hawkins exchanged a look, and tried to keep from smiling. "That's very generous of you, baby," said Hawkins.

Allison did not look pleased with her generous efforts. "This is so not how I wanted this night to go."

Darcy looked sympathetic. "Well, you know Allie, maybe this once, you can come home after curfew. An hour later sound good?"

Allison looked pained. "Doesn't this earn me two extra hours? I'm wasting over two hours on this stupid wedding."

"Can I stay out two extra hours?" asked Sam.

"Why is Sam here? And why are you all here? It's New Year's Eve, not family day!" said Allison.

"Honey, we're just trying to celebrate New Year's too," said Darcy.

Allison gave a sarcastic smile that didn't reach her eyes, as Sean said "You've come to the right party then!"

Allison glanced over and remembered Sean, Dale, and Skylar standing beside them. She looked back at her family, gathered around her, with a pained expression.

"We'll just, uh, be over there," said Darcy, grinning at Allison and grabbing her husband by the arm. Hawkins looked as though he might protest, but Sam had caught sight of Gail at the booth, which was now strewn with an ever growing pile of paper flowers. "Crafts! Cool!" he exclaimed, bounding away.

Allison closed her eyes as her family made their exit, slowly turning back to her peers. Eric attempted to break the awkward silence that ensued. "So...anyone have an interesting New Year's resolution?"

The young people were silent for a moment.

"I'm going to work out more. Get really ripped," said Sean, flexing his bicep and making a face.

Eric nodded. "Great," he managed.

"So the theme was red and green?" Emily was asking her consultants.

"Green and burgundy," corrected Mimi.

"The theme was Christmas, I guess," said Mary.

"And you wore green, I suppose," snorted Emily.

"I already had the dress," said Mary through gritted teeth. "And Mimi wore burgundy."

"Did you already have that dress or did you have to make it out of a tablecloth?" giggled Emily.

Mary nervously watched as Mimi's hand gripped the pen so tightly her knuckles were turning white. "Well, Emily, are you going to make a decision already?"

Emily was looking around, considering. "And the flowers were red?"

"They were roses," said Mary.

"And mine are white," mused Emily.

"Yes. Very classy," said Mimi, glancing warily at the table where Gail, Gray, and the Hawkinses were folding paper.

"Okay. Here's what I want," announced Emily. Her consultant and wedding planner wearily raised their eyebrows.

"And then, when I get really angry, I can just flex them all at once, like this, and then my t-shirt'll rip off, and it'll be just like the Incredible Hulk -" Sean was demonstrating, for Eric and the other members of the wedding party, when the bride and her reluctant advisors returned.

"That would be a sight, Sean," giggled Mimi. Sean dropped his arms immediately, his face turning slightly pink.

Emily took no notice, standing in the centre of the circle and grabbing the clipboard from Mimi. "My wedding is going to be classy, New Year's. That's the theme. So I'm going to wear white, and my bridesmaids are going to be in black and silver."

Allison looked as though she were going to say something.

"I've got a silver dress at home, in my closet," Emily continued. "It'll look great on you."

"And where are you getting a wedding dress at 11:28, New Year's Eve?" asked Dale. The three other adults gave him warning looks, but Emily continued in a businesslike tone.

"I have a wedding dress. In my closet. It's perfect, and it still fits me perfectly." She glanced down at the clipboard. "So, my wedding planner says that's the next thing on the list. Someone needs to go to my house in the Pines and pick up the dresses. And shoes. And some jewelry. And maybe purses."

Sean opened his mouth. "Someone," said Emily. "Anyone?"

"I -" began Sean.

"Someone who knows about purses," said Mary significantly. Skylar was purposefully studying the bracelets on her wrist.

"It would be good to combine a trip," cut in Mimi. "Whoever goes needs to pick up Emily's aunt, and Emily wants someone to get Lindsay Davis too -"

"Yes! I need the press here to witness the event," cut in Emily. "And you can get that Zack too! He's good with a camera. He can be the photographer."

"Photographer," said Mimi, grabbing the clipboard back from Emily and checking it off.

"Hey, I can swing by there. Zack's my friend. I'll fill him in," piped up Scott. He looked quickly at Allison, who nodded.

"But the bridesmaids need to be getting ready with me," protested Emily.

Allison glanced quickly towards the dance floor, where her parents were both swinging around, laughing and waving when they saw her looking their way. "Yeah, we'll go," she said, grabbing Scott's hand.

"But what if you don't get back in time?" asked Emily.

"I'll change in the car," Allison called over her shoulder as the couple retreated as quickly as they could.

A slightly disgruntled looking Emily absently yanked the clipboard out of Mimi's hands again. "Bridesmaids. Now something for him to wear," she said, motioning over at Sean. "Eric?"

All eyes turned to look at Eric. Mary shared a sympathetic grimace with him. "I guess I can go upstairs and get a suit for him," he said reluctantly.

Emily nodded approvingly. "And it'll give you a chance to change out of the clown suit you're wearing," she said eyeing him up and down. "And while you're at it, bring something for her too." She gave Mary an apparently affectionate smack on the shoulder.

Carefully arranging his face, Eric asked, "Why do we need to change?"

"Well, Eric, it's a wedding, not a hoedown. Here, take Sean with you, and hurry back. The groomsmen need to help the groom get ready." She gave Sean a gentle push towards Eric, and Eric, with one look of utter annoyance, turned and began walking, muttering, "Come on, Sean."

"Next - the groom's clothes," said Emily, thrusting the clipboard at Mimi once again and sauntering away, snapping her fingers over her shoulder to signal that they should follow her.

Mary and Mimi watched her walking away for a moment in silence.

"Mimi," said Mary quietly. "If at some point tonight, I say something about going to get the darts myself..."

"I don't know if I can promise to stop you," cut in Mimi. At her friend's plaintive look, she added, "Okay, here." She held Mary's hand to her belly; the baby was kicking again. "Please, Auntie Mary. Be a good role model. Keep your cool and get the crazy lady to go through with her wedding."

Mary rolled her eyes, but managed to laugh.

"Do you guys care about my wedding at all, or are you going to stand there gushing over that baby all night?" came a voice.

"You'd better not tell me where you hid the darts," Mimi said through gritted teeth, as they followed the direction of the voice.

"I just don't see what the big deal is, she's been pregnant for months now. Hello, tons of other things have happened since," Emily was saying as they came up to the bar, where Beck was seated, Bill was standing nearby, and a thoroughly incensed Stanley looked as though he was wondering where the darts could be hidden.

"But my darling, it's a miracle," Beck was saying, turning to grin at Mimi, who stayed behind Mary and held up her clipboard.

"The real miracle will be pulling off this wedding, with the help we're getting," said Emily. "Now, we've figured out what I'm going to wear. Do you know what you want to wear?"

Beck looked down. It was clear he was contemplating going as is. "Remember, we're having the wedding of the season," she said gently. "Classy and sophisticated."

"I have my dress uniform," he said. "It's back at my barracks."

"Perfect," she smiled. "Now, who wants to go get it?" she asked, switching to her business tone.

"Stanley and Bill are helping me get ready," said the groom.

"Timmy," said Mary, spotting the young soldier dancing by with one of the refugees. He stopped, mid bunny hop, and stood at the ready. "Yes, ma'am?"

"Would you mind going down to the barracks and getting the Major's dress uniform?" she asked.

"Can do," he said, giving her a salute. "And congratulations on your wedding, Major!"

"Thank you," said Beck, his voice beginning to betray the emotions they'd all been privy to earlier in the night. "It means so much, to have all the people I care about -"

"Thanks, Timmy, that'll be great," said Mimi, clearing her throat. As Timmy retreated, she turned authoritatively to the rest of the group. "Everyone else have a job to do now?"

Stanley stared back at her, giving a small shrug and glancing at the major. "We're helping him...get ready."

"Okay, good. You guys go get ready then," said Mimi.

They looked back at her, blinking.

"The bathroom's over there," she pointed out unnecessarily.

"But what are we supposed to -" Bill began.

"Just start getting ready and we'll send you the clothes and the groomsmen when they get here," she said in an irritated tone.

"Yes, ma'am," said Bill, in such a good imitation of Timmy that he and Stanley chuckled. They hurried their steps, pulling Beck along with them, as Mimi sent them a look.

"And make sure the groom can't come out to see the bride before it starts," called Emily after them. She turned back to her consultants. "Alright, what else needs doing?"

"Music," said Mimi. "And we should check on the decorations and flowers."

"You do that. Green can help me pick some music out of her jukebox," said Emily. "See if there's anything decent for a wedding and not by the Spin Doctors." She turned and began walking in the direction of the jukebox. Mary took a breath before following her.

"Role model," Mimi mouthed, pointing down at her belly before turning to make her way over to the booth. It was now impossible to see the table, it was so covered in paper flowers. Sam was excitedly folding more at a rapid rate, and Gail had recruited Skylar and Dale to begin arranging them in bouquets. Gray was supervising them as they planned how they would add them to the staging area.

"Looks like you've all been busy," said Mimi, holding up a bouquet of paper lilies in amazement. "Mrs. Green, where did you learn to do this?"

"I was in Girl Scouts once," said Gail, waving a hand nonchalantly. "How are things going?"

"Almost ready for the wedding party to get ready," she said, twirling a blossom between her fingers.

Gail nodded approvingly. "Why don't you have a seat? You've been on your feet all night."

Mimi sat, letting out a deep sigh. Gail smiled. "You'd better watch it. You don't want to give that baby any ideas about making an early appearance."

"Believe me, I'm not hoping for that," said Mimi, leaning back. "Last thing I want to do is to be telling a story that starts with 'The night you were born, your mother and father were playing matchmakers of the insane.' Though, can you imagine the story they'll have to tell, if this keeps going? 'You were the by-product of a drunken New Year's Eve shotgun wedding.' Let's hope he's too drunk to get it up."

"Mimi Helena!" exclaimed Gail as Sam asked, "Get what up?"

Glancing back and forth between them, Mimi stammered, "How do you know my middle name?"

Gail chuckled as Sam repeated his question and Mimi's eyes widened. "How about you go check on Dale and Skylar, honey? And let them know they're going to be needed over in the bathrooms soon?" asked Gail.

"Okay!" said Sam, sliding out of the booth and running over to the rows of chairs, where Skylar, Dale, and Gray were hanging copious amounts of paper flowers.

"You'll get used to it," said Gail, patting Mimi's arm. "I remember when Eric figured out what his initials spell. Did he ever tell you about his middle name?"

Mimi raised her eyebrows and leaned in.

When Eric came downstairs a few minutes later, an uncomfortable looking Sean following behind him, tugging at the dress shirt he had been cajoled into wearing, he couldn't see any of his fellow conspirators. He went over to the jukebox instead, where Emma Blythe and Matt Jenkins had once again taken control. Sam Hawkins, curiously dressed in pajamas, was hopping up and down excitedly, shouting over and over, "I Love Rock and Roll! I Love Rock and Roll!"

"But Sam, it's my turn and I want Ground Control to Major Tom," Emma was saying.

Eric cleared his throat. "Have you kids seen my, er, party?"

"They're in the bathrooms," said Matt, motioning. Emma looked annoyed and turned back to the jukebox.

"I'm supposed to tell you to take the groomsman to the little groom's room!" exclaimed Sam suddenly, grinning up at Eric before sidling up to Emma, grabbing her arm and pleading "Rock and Roll!"

Eric raised his eyebrows and gave an odd sort of nod. Without another word, he headed for the bathroom, and Sean, after shrugging his shoulders, followed.

They found Stanley and Bill standing outside the bathroom. Bill had crouched down, leaning against the wall on one side of the door, and Stanley leaned against the other, his arms crossed.

"The missing groomsman," said Bill with an approving nod. "And Beck was getting worried."

"Apparently he wants this night to go 'just right'," said Stanley. "Like jalapeño poppers and cream puffs."

"Ew." Sean made a face.

Bill gave him a withering look. Stanley pounded on the door with his fist. "Your other groomsman is here!" he shouted through the door.

Beck opened the door at that moment, and stood before them, in his dress uniform, which was straining a little bit around his mid section. He looked around in silence, with an expression that reminded Stanley of a clumsy kid waiting to be picked for a kickball team.

"You look...very distinguished," said Eric quickly. Stanley nodded.

Sean looked as though he was going to laugh, but he merely smirked as he said, "Your tie's crooked."

They all heard an exasperated sigh coming from behind Beck. "You do it, then!" Dale's voice rang out of the small bathroom. Beck stepped back, and Dale squeezed out of the bathroom, looking up at Sean with narrowed eyes as he passed him. Sean reached for the major's neck. "Give me that," he grumbled.

Eric, Stanley, and Bill stood awkwardly, their arms crossed, facing the odd trio, as Sean proceeded to fix Beck's tie and Dale leaned against the wall nearby. "So what do we have to do now?" asked Dale, putting his hands in the pockets of Skylar's father's designer pants.

"Well, boys, I learned a little something a long time ago," said Beck sagely, as Sean concentrated intensely on the bow tie and Dale stared at the floor. "When it comes to the big day, your job is just to show up."

Sean nodded at this piece of wisdom, and Dale seemed to be considering it. "I'm telling you," Beck continued. "You let her do what she wants. Do your part, smile and shut up. That's what they really want. It works beyond the wedding too. In life, I mean." He smiled over at his friends. "Eric and Stanley know what I mean."

Eric and Stanley, for their part, gave non-committal shrugs. Bill, however, nodded.

Mimi's face bore a distinct look of discomfort. "Can you get them to hurry up in there?" she whispered.

Mary rapped on the door of the women's washroom. "How's it going in there?"

"We're going as fast as we can!" came Skylar's irritated voice.

"I can't be rushed on my wedding day!" Emily added through the door.

"Oooh, but it's a public washroom," groaned Mimi. "For the public."

"Take it up with Green!" was the answer.

"You just had to set the bridal party prep up in this washroom," Mimi glowered. "Couldn't have Emily upstairs, no."

"You can use my place," offered Mary.

"Forget it, I'll wait," said Mimi, knocking on the door herself. "Come on in there! Let's see the bride already!"

"Do not rush -" Emily began, but the door swung open. Skylar stepped hurriedly out, turning back to survey her work.

"You look very nice, Emily," said Mary kindly.

It wasn't a lie. Skylar had dutifully dipped into her own purse and come up with enough products to make Emily look wedding appropriate, at least, for Jericho's post-bombs standards. Her hair, even, was tastefully arranged on top of her head, with some curls cascading down.

"Really?" asked Emily, her expression becoming gentle for perhaps the second time that evening.

"Really. Beautiful," said Mimi, pushing past her into the bathroom and practically nudging her out, shutting the door quickly.

"You do look beautiful," Mary said, as Emily stood in the hallway. "Ready to get married."

Without warning, Emily's carefully made up face began to crumple. "I'm not ready!" she cried out in a pitiful tone. Skylar frantically grabbed a tissue from her purse and dabbed at the bride's face before she could smear her makeup too badly.

Mary was taken aback. "What do you mean, you're not ready?" she asked.

"My dress isn't here yet!" sobbed Emily.

"It's on its way," said Mary.

"And I haven't got something - old, and new," she continued. "Or borrowed, or - you know." She sniffled noisily. As tempted as she was to do otherwise, Mary awkwardly patted her arm.

"You've got that ring, right?" Mary asked. "It's borrowed." When Emily had blackmailed Emma Blythe into giving up her mood ring for the ceremony, on pain of going to get Lisa Whalley, Mary had made a mental note to make sure it made its way back to its owner by the end of the night.

"And it's old," supplied Skylar. Mary nodded. Emily continued to sniffle.

"And, your eye shadow is blue," added Mary helplessly.

"What's the matter over here?" Gail appeared brusquely at their side, her arms full of paper bouquets.

"I'm not ready!" wailed Emily.

Gail was momentarily speechless, as a look of doubt passed over her. Mary quickly grabbed a handful of the paper flowers. "Look! These are new!"

Skylar looked questioningly at the paper blossoms and Gail studied her daughter-in-law, quickly analyzing the situation as Mary continued to talk. "Gail has been folding these right here, all night. They're newer than the roses at last week's wedding!"

Emily was suddenly quiet. "Yes," said Gail quickly, taking a flower from the bouquet. She carefully stuck it in Emily's hair. Mary marveled at her mother-in-law's ingenuity. The origami flower actually did look beautiful, and seemed to complete the bride's ensemble.

"There. Now you're all set," said Gail gently.

"But...the dress..." said Emily quietly, as Mary dabbed at her face with the tissue on one side and Skylar touched up her blush on the other.

"Well, dear, it's -"

"Coming through!" came a loud voice. They saw the dress before they saw Allison, lifting it above her head and frantically making her way through the crowd, towards the washroom.

"Oh, what is it now?" asked Mimi, opening the door. She was swarmed on either side as the bridal party quickly retreated into the bathroom, Gail and Mary hurrying everyone along and shutting the door behind them.

"Jeez, it's like a clown car," murmured Mimi, her hands protectively covering her belly.

"What's the matter?"

"What's the 911?"

"Who needs my help?"

Eric, Stanley, and Bill had appeared, breathless.

"Oh, nothing. Where's Beck?" asked Mimi, her eyes widening.

"He's all set. Teaching Sean and Dale the facts of life," grinned Bill. "How about the bride?"

"She's almost ready!" said Mimi, gesturing at them to get back to their places. "Five minutes."

"So do I tell Gray it's a go?" asked Eric. "We've got all the guests into place."

"Five minutes!" repeated Mimi.

The men scurried away, Stanley giving her one swaggering grin before following his friends.

Mimi stood listening for a few seconds. After what sounded like a minor scuffle, the door finally flung open. Allison and Skylar wedged themselves out first, followed by Emily, whose hair and makeup had survived the donning of the dress intact. Gail and Mary followed quickly behind, straightening the skirt and pushing the paper flower back into place.

"Everyone ready?" asked Mimi, gesturing towards the main room of the tavern. From their sheltered alcove, they could see a crowd gathered.

Allison and Skylar stepped forward, and Skylar found herself looking at the silver dress Allison was wearing for the first time. "Don't say anything," said Allison through clenched teeth as Gail handed them each a bouquet.

"Wasn't going to," said Skylar, wisely stifling the laugh she'd felt coming on when she'd first noticed the ruffle around the bottom and the big bow adorning Allison's back.

"Thanks, Green. You know, I don't know what's wrong with me tonight," Emily was saying, taking the tissue Mary was offering her. "Maybe you're right. Maybe those parents we lose do come up on special days, even when we think we've forgotten -"

"Ten minutes 'til midnight!" interrupted Mimi. "Ten minutes."

Emily stopped, standing behind her bridesmaids in silence. They had reached the edge of the crowd. The seats Stanley and Bill had arranged were all full, though the majority of the crowd were standing, at the bar or in the middle of the dance floor. At the end of the narrow aisle, Gray Anderson stood, a look of solemnity on his face. The groom and his men stood off to the right, Dale and Sean both looking very serious, and even the ring bearer, curiously clad in pajamas, was silent.

At a nod from Eric, Matt Jenkins pushed a button on the juke box.

A song began to play. "Going to the chapel and we're going to get married..."

Skylar began to walk first, Allison following soon after.

Emily clutched her bouquet, taking a deep breath as she stepped forward and then stopped.

"Nine minutes. You'll turn into a pumpkin!" whispered Mimi, giving her a gentle nudge forward.

The people seated in rows had gotten to their feet, and everyone around the room was looking back at the bride. Emily felt her cheeks growing warm, and as she took another step forward, and another step, she began to smile.

She felt the music as if it were in her soul. "Today's the day we'll say I do and we'll never be lonely anymore."

Skylar turned at the front of the makeshift aisle, then Allison. All around her were smiling faces.

He turned then, looking over at her, his face breaking out in a grin. He looked distinguished in his smart blue jacket, the strong way he stood, but she noticed only the way his eyes stared back into hers.

He reached for her hand as she reached the end of the aisle. Elbow to elbow, they stepped forward together, facing the man who would join them together.

Gray bestowed a smile on them as he cleared his throat, readying himself to speak the words he'd been practicing behind the pool table for the last twenty minutes. He folded his hands and looked to the crowd of bar patrons gathered around. He cleared his throat again.

"Dearly beloved," he began.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

To continue in Auld Lang Syne: A Pledge.



"Take a Chance on Me" was written and recorded in 1977 by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, and was sung by Agnetha Fältskog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad, all of the Swedish pop group ABBA.

"Try a Little Tenderness" is a love song written by "Irving King" (James Campbell and Reginald Connelly) and Harry M. Woods, and recorded initially on December 8, 1932 by the Ray Noble Orchestra (with vocals by Val Rosing) followed by both Ruth Etting and Bing Crosby in 1933.  A popular version in an entirely new form was recorded by soul artist Otis Redding in 1966.  Gray picked the Otis Redding version. :-)

"My Heart Will Go On" is the theme song of the 1997 blockbuster film Titanic. With music by James Horner and lyrics by Will Jennings, it was recorded by Céline Dion.

"Hungry Eyes" is a song performed by Eric Carmen, and was featured in the film Dirty Dancing.
It was written by John DeNicola and Franke Previte. 

Johnny (portrayed by Patrick Swayze) and Baby (portrayed by Jennifer Grey) are the main characters in the film Dirty Dancing.  The film was written by Eleanor Bergstein and directed by Emile Ardolino.  It was released in 1987.

"Love Is a Battlefield" is a song written by Holly Knight and Mike Chapman, after Pat Benatar asked Chapman to write her a hit song. It was released as a single from Benatar's album Live from Earth, which was popular in 1983 and 1984.

"Fernando" is Swedish pop group ABBA's first non-album single, released in the spring of 1976. Lead vocals sung by Anni-Frid Lyngstad.

"I Will Always Love You" is a song released by American country singer-songwriter Dolly Parton (1974) and by American singer Whitney Houston (1992). Houston's version of the song became one of the best-selling singles of all time, and the best selling single ever by a female artist.  Bill thinks all women love Whitney Houston's version.

Oklahoma! is the first musical written by composer Richard Rodgers and librettist Oscar Hammerstein II. The musical is based on Lynn Riggs' 1931 play, Green Grow the Lilacs. "The Surrey With the Fringe on Top" is a show tune from the 1943 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Oklahoma!.

The Music Man is a musical with book, music, and lyrics by Meredith Willson. The show is based on a story by Willson and Franklin Lacey (Debuted 1957).  "Seventy Six Trombones" is the signature song from the 1957 musical play The Music Man, written by Meredith Willson.

West Side Story is a musical with a book by Arthur Laurents, music by Leonard Bernstein, and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. The musical is based on William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet (Broadway Debut 1957).

"In Your Eyes" is a song by musician Peter Gabriel from his 1986 album So. In 1989, the song appeared in the Cameron Crowe film, Say Anything, in a scene where broken-hearted Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) serenades his former girlfriend (Ione Skye) outside her bedroom window by holding up a boombox above his head and playing the song for her. 

"Tubthumping" is a song by the English band Chumbawamba and was released in 1997. The song is often misnamed as "I Get Knocked Down".

"Nothing Compares 2 U" is a song written in mid-1981 by Prince for The Family. Irish singer Sinéad O'Connor re-recorded the track in 1990 and included it on her second album I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got, bringing the song to worldwide prominence. As we are sure you guessed, Chloe Walcott was interested in Sinéad's version.

"Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" is a show tune written by American composer Jerome Kern and lyricist Otto Harbach for their 1933 operetta Roberta. Subsequently, a number of artists have performed the song.  Possibly the most famous version was recorded in 1958 by the doo wop group The Platters.

"Somebody to Love" is a song written by Freddie Mercury and performed by English rock band Queen featured on their 1976 album A Day at the Races.

"Sexual Healing" is a 1982 song recorded by American soul singer Marvin Gaye.

"Stop! In the Name of Love" is a 1965 number-one single recorded by The Supremes for the Motown label.

"Baby Love" is a 1964 number-one hit recorded by The Supremes for the Motown label.

"I Hear a Symphony" is a 1965 hit song recorded by The Supremes for the Motown label.

"You Can't Hurry Love" is a number-one single recorded by The Supremes for the Motown label, released during the summer of 1966.

 "I Got You Babe" is a 1965 number-one hit single by American rock music duo Sonny & Cher.

"In the Midnight Hour" is a song originally performed by Wilson Pickett in 1965 and released on the 1966 album The Exciting Wilson Pickett. It was composed by Pickett and Steve Cropper.

"A Whiter Shade of Pale" is a song by the British band Procol Harum.

"I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" is a song written and performed by Scottish pop band The Proclaimers. It was released on their 1988 Sunshine on Leith album

"Your Song" is a ballad composed and performed by musician Elton John. The song's lyrics were written by Bernie Taupin. It appeared on John's self-titled second album in 1970.

"December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" is a hit single by The Four Seasons, written by original Four Seasons keyboard player Bob Gaudio and his future wife Judy Parker, produced by Gaudio, and included on the group's 1975 album Who Loves You.

Simon and Garfunkel released the song "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" in 1972. It can be found on the album Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits.

The Graduate is a 1967 American comedy-drama film directed by Mike Nichols, based on the novel of the same name by Charles Webb, who wrote the piece shortly after graduating from Williams College. The screenplay is by Calder Willingham and Buck Henry.  The film boosted the profile of folk-rock duo Simon & Garfunkel, whose soundtrack album (The Graduate Original Soundtrack), on the strength of the hit single "Mrs. Robinson", rose to the top of the charts in 1968.

"Space Oddity" is a song written and performed by David Bowie and released as a single in 1969. It is about the launch of Major Tom, a fictional astronaut who becomes depressed during an outer-space mission.

"I Love Rock 'n Roll" is a rock and roll song, written in 1975 by Alan Merrill and Jake Hooker of The Arrows, who recorded the first released version. The song was later covered by Joan Jett and Britney Spears.  Sam has an affinity for Joan Jett.

"Chapel of Love" is a song written by Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich and Phil Spector, and made famous by The Dixie Cups in 1964.