- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Different Circumstances Interludes: Long Distance Relationship by Marzee Doats

 

Disclaimer: Jericho is the property of CBS Paramount Network Television and Junction Entertainment. All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. (Lots of time and energy is being poured into this work.) No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Summary: What if circumstances were different, and Jake and Heather had met long before the school bus?  An alternate version of Jericho in which Jake and Heather are married.

This is the Different Circumstances version of The Day Before, but covering more time (and space).  This story begins four months preceding present day Different Circumstances Part 1 / Pilot episode of Jericho, providing a snapshot of what happened in the lead up to the Heather and Jake reunion in Different Circumstances, Part 1.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Different Circumstances Interludes: Long Distance Relationship, Part 1 by Marzee Doats

 

Author's Note:

Well, I hope that this isn't too big of a shock.  My muse ran off in another direction, and so now we have Different Circumstances Interludes, a story/set of stories that I always knew was there, and that takes place in the four months preceding present day Different Circumstances Part 1 / the Pilot episode of Jericho. 

As I said, I always knew this part of the story existed, but I didn't know how it fit into the main line of the story with the back and forth between the past and the modified present universe of the TV show.  It turns out it does not, it just stands on its own as an Interlude.  This is the Different Circumstances version of The Day Before, but covering more time (and space).

Also, I realize this is a bit of a risk.  Everyone who has ever commented on this story has said that they love the back and forth between the past and present.  I love that too.  But I think this works better this way.  It's not the five years ago past, it's the very recent past and leads directly to the Heather and Jake reunion in Different Circumstances, Part 1.

I will get back to Different Circumstances proper (still working on Part 15) soon, but I will also work on these Interlude stories at the same time/when the fancy strikes.

Lastly, because it doesn't fit into the mainline of the story, I am putting it at the end of the series for now.  I may change my mind later, but that's where I think it belongs for now.

 

Acknowledgements: Many thanks to my friends and beta readers, Skyrose and Sherry for their feedback and encouragement, especially as I went in this slightly off track direction.

 

Warnings:

Not necessarily a warning in the content sense, but about how this chapter is structured.  This is partially an epistolary/letter-writing story (just email rather than snail mail), and there are timestamps on all emails.  Just remember that Iraq is eight hours ahead of Jericho Kansas, so if you are looking at the timestamps and something seems out of order, it probably isn't, as our favorite couple is definitely living and coping during a time when they are in a long-distance relationship.

Also, there are references to Different Circumstances facts that are established in earlier parts of the main series. So, if you want to refresh yourself on how horses on the Green Ranch receive their names, check out Different Circumstances, Part 6B.  Or if you want to remind yourself about the terms of EJ Green's will, re-read Different Circumstances, Part 14G.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Monday May 29, 3:05 am (Baghdad Iraq) / Sunday May 28, 7:05 pm (Jericho KS)

4 months before the bombs

 

"Hey, babe."

"Jake, hi!" Heather returned, genuinely shocked to hear her husband's voice on the other end of the line.  "This is a surprise – a good one," she added quickly.  "But isn't it, like, three in the morning for you?  Where are you calling from?"

Where are you calling from? was their code for how secure is this line?

"I'm in a good place to talk," he assured her.  "Had to check in with Gretchen tonight – status call," he yawned, "And I'm on the sat phone.  Figured I was up and – I miss you.  If I'm gonna lose a coupl'a hours sleep, I wanna talk to you and not just my boss."

"Well, I always wanna talk to you, hon," she sighed softly.  "And if you're checkin' in with Gretchen is that good news, maybe?"

"Slight movement, but too early to tell," he offered, "Sorry."

"Gotcha," Heather acknowledged, letting out a resigned breath.  "Well, a girl can hope, right?"

"Oh yeah.  'Specially if she's my girl," he teased.  "If anyone can hope this thing into being done, it's you.  So, keep it up, babe."

"Well, you know I'm on it," she proclaimed.  "And, too bad you didn't call five minutes earlier – or maybe it's good that you waited, I dunno.  April and Eric left here ten, fifteen minutes ago, and your parents literally just left."

"I called to talk to you, not them," Jake reminded, "So we'll go with my timing's good, 'kay?"

"'Kay," she echoed.  "I'll absolutely take a bonus call from a good place to talk."

"So, we're hosting Sunday night dinners now?" he asked, his tone playful.  "I know I've been gone awhile, but when did that happen?"

She laughed at that, and sitting alone in Iraq – a rare enough occurrence – Jake closed his eyes, letting the sound wash over him, soothe him.  "Uh, no.  This was a one-time deal, because we were all, already here," Heather explained.  "We did the Decoration Day clean up today—"

"Right, you said you and my dad we're doing that in your last email."

"Sometimes I'm surprised you read my emails – at least all the way to the end," Heather told him, and he could hear the smile in her voice.  "I feel like I'm just babble typing," she confessed, "Like you really want to hear about every little thing I'm doing, and all the elementary school gossip, too."

"I do, really," Jake confirmed.  "I like hearing all of it, even who's got a crush on who in the third grade.  Best part of my day, spotting one of your emails in my inbox." 

He couldn't find the words to fully express what a lifeline her emails provided for him.  Posing as a military logistics contractor – a glorified title for 'truck driver' – was the most grinding assignment he'd ever taken on.  The work – hot, tiring, simultaneously boring and fraught with danger – was unrelenting.  His shifts were long, and every day was exactly the same.  Heather's emails, even though her day was always eight hours behind his, were often his first clue that the weekend had arrived, or in this case, the holiday.  He'd only realized that Memorial Day was coming up when he'd read the email she'd sent on Thursday night in Kansas – and that he'd finally had the chance to read in the hour before he'd headed to bed on Friday night in Iraq.

"I read your emails first, and then I refresh my email just in case you've sent another," he admitted, chuckling at himself.  "And when you haven't, I re-read whatever you sent last again, and then I look at the ones from other people.  My mom, April, 'Aunt' Gretchen…." He paused, sighing softly.  "Well, coupl'a days ago I got an email from Kerry, so I read that one before re-reading yours."

"I got that email, too," she reminded – it had been sent to them both.  "And, I hafta say, we have one really cute goddaughter."

"That's what I thought, too," he murmured, "Though I figured I should check that with you, since that's really your area of expertise, not mine."

He'd been shocked – in a good way – when John and Kerry, Heather's brother and sister-in-law, had asked them to be their newborn daughter's godparents.  They'd arrived in Buffalo the previous Thanksgiving on Wednesday afternoon to the news that Kerry – who hadn't been due for two more weeks – had gone into labor and given birth to Megan Marie, all while they had been in transit from Wichita.  Heather and Jake had dropped their bags at her dad's, and then per the new parents' request, had gone immediately to the hospital, the first family members on either side to meet the newest Lisinski. 

Jake had been quick to remind them that he wasn't Catholic, but Kerry had brushed that aside, saying, "Well, the Church will always have its rules, but we agreed, and we want you guys to be her godparents.  This is, like, an honor," she'd informed him then.  "You can't really turn it down." 

Heather, who had been taking her turn holding her – their – new niece had echoed her sister-in-law, telling him that it "was kinda gauche" to refuse to be a godparent, before declaring that it was his turn to hold little Megan.  "And, look, you're doing so good," she'd exclaimed after she'd transferred the baby into his arms.

"I don't know about that," Jake had laughed nervously.  But looking down at the infant – all of four hours old – he couldn't help but remark, "She's just so tiny and – and perfect."

"She is perfect," her mother had declared, smiling at him tiredly.  "And Jake, you don't look nearly as scared as you did four years ago with Hannah," Kerry had teased, "So that's progress."

"And Hannah was a lot bigger than Miss Megan," Heather had cooed, leaning against his shoulder.  "C'mon, hon, you hafta say yes.  Though, really," she'd continued, looking at her brother and sister-in-law, "You're sure about this, right?  Skipping Tommy and Mandy?" she'd reminded.  John and Kerry had asked Andy and Deb – Heather's oldest brother and his wife – to be Joey's godparents when he'd been born not quite three years earlier.  "Or Maeve?" Heather had suggested, mentioning Kerry's sister, who was Heather's age and had been Heather's friend since high school.  It was Maeve, actually, who had been her first connection to the Burke family, a year before Kerry and John had started dating.

"Maeve doesn't want the responsibility that comes along with the honor, trust me," Kerry had replied, "And Mandy and Tommy won't mind being skipped."

"Okay," Heather had acknowledged, exhaling softly.  "But you do remember that we live in Kansas, right?"

"So, now you’re trying to get outta being my daughter’s godmother, Heth?" her brother had accused, feigning annoyance.  "You're supposed to be helping us convince your husband to agree, not trying to back out yourself.  And, all you guys living in Kansas means is that you have to come back here a little more often, and we hafta go out there a little more often," John had told them, "So, you can be involved in her life—"

"—So, Uncle Jake can teach her to ride a horse while she's still little," Kerry had interjected.  "In a couple years – or maybe, like, five years – six years," she'd decided, after thinking about it some more.

Heather had giggled at that, shaking her head.  "So, no ulterior motive in this decision at all," she had charged with a mock glare.

"Well, you know, rich uncle with a horse ranch may have tipped the scales in your favor just a bit," her brother had joked.  "But it wasn't decisive or anything.  You were already way in the lead.  Seriously, we want you guys to be her godparents," John had insisted.  "C'mon, sis.  Jake."

"It really was Johnny's idea," Kerry had informed them.  "We found out we were having a girl, and he said right away that we should ask you – 'ask Heather and Jake'," she'd quoted.  "And I couldn't agree more.  So, were askin', and you can't say no."

"Even if we'd had another boy, I still would've wanted to ask you guys," John had explained.  "So just say 'yes' already."

Jake had agreed then, earning himself a wide smile and quick kiss from his wife, not to mention a truly adorable (and well timed) gurgle from their niece and goddaughter.  Agreeing to be Megan's godparents had ended up delaying his Ravenwood assignment by a month, so he and Heather could participate in her baptism, which had been scheduled on his thirty second birthday.  Then two and a half weeks later, he'd left for Afghanistan.

"Do most people celebrate their kids' half birthdays?" Jake asked, trying to stifle a yawn.  The subject line on Kerry's email had been 'Megan's ½ Birthday Party', and from the pictures she'd attached – all ten of them – it was clear she'd gone all out.

"Not the way the Burkes do," Heather giggled.  "I mean, for babies, yes, you note the day.  Like, 'we've kept this tiny person alive for half a year, yay us!'  But they're the only family I know that does it every year.  Also, the only family I know that serves cake and ice cream for breakfast on your birthday in addition to the half birthday parties and regular birthday parties every year," she explained.  "I used to go to both of Maeve's parties when we were teenagers, and I was always slightly jealous. They're just big on birthdays – Kerry's dad's birthday is leap day, so that’s probably why.  I guess she's decided to carry on the tradition." 

"We could do half birthdays, too," Jake suggested, "Under birthday rules.  I vote for that."

"And, we could start having cake and ice cream for breakfast on birthdays, too," Heather joked.  "I could really get behind that."

They both fell silent for a long moment and then he confessed, "I'm pretty sure I'm gonna miss your birthday this year, babe.  I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Jake," she answered, exhaling deeply.  Her birthday was just over a week away, and over the preceding month it had become apparent to her that he wasn't going to be able to wrap things up and make it home in time to celebrate with her.  Not unless something changed really fast.  "But I expect major bonus calls, okay?  At least one of which is Skype."

"You got it," he promised, "And presents, too."

"Presents, plural?"  she inquired.  "Well, I can get on board for that," she giggled.   "Tell me more!"

"You're just gonna have to wait the eight days, Heather," Jake informed her, laughing at the annoyed noise she made. 

"Fine," she grumbled, claiming, "I will be patient," though her tone implied the exact opposite. 

"So, you were gonna tell me about you and Dad and Decoration Day," he prompted.

"Well, it wasn't just us, your mom and Eric pitched in, too," she clarified.  "I just didn't know they were coming, because your dad, he asked me if he could do it – like, he needs my permission to spruce up the Green family cemetery."

"I think technically he does," Jake said, "Since it's on the part of the property that belongs to us."  When he'd died, Jake's grandfather had bequeathed to them both the ranch house and a very specific sixteen acres – including the family cemetery – carved out of the nearly three hundred acres of the Green Ranch.

"That is definitely a technicality," Heather groaned.  "I mean, those are his relatives – and yours – buried there, not mine."

"You know a lot more about the people buried in that cemetery than I do," he reminded.  "And Gramps would be mad at you for claiming the two of you weren't related."

"I didn't mean Gramps," she muttered, "You know that."

"Look, last year Dad asked me.  He's just being … courteous," Jake decided, not quite sure why he was defending his father.  "He's expecting us to say 'yes', but he goes through the motions.  Plus, it gets us to show up and help out," he groused.  "Well, this year, you.  That's what he's really after."

"Yeah, I guess," Heather acknowledged.  "And, I don't mind.  I had fun – as much fun as you can pulling weeds.  And, we scattered wildflower seed over the graves.  Your dad actually brought a whole packet of black-eyed Susan seed to put on his sister's grave.  That was really sweet," she sighed.  "So that part, we got done in a couple of hours.  They were all gonna head back to town, but then April came out – she'd been called into the med center for something – and she wanted to go riding, so somehow we all ended up going."

"We live on a horse ranch," Jake reminded, "You should ride sometimes."

Heather groaned.  "I haven't in months, I am so gonna be feeling it tomorrow."

"That's why you should ride," he argued.  "So, it doesn't kill you every time."

"Yeah, but I'm such an amateur, Jake," she scoffed.  "Enthusiastic, but an amateur.  I'm not gonna ride by myself, and riding in a group, I was so nervous the entire time.  I don't know how to do the spacing at all," Heather grumbled.  "And I was sure that at any moment Callie was gonna bolt and then your dad or Eric or April would've had to rescue me.  I think I'll just wait 'til you're back before I ride again," she decided, "I am way less frazzled when it's just you and me."

"You and April can always ride together," Jake proposed, "Long as you take radios along, and let Tony know where you're goin'.  School's out week after next, right?  So set up a weekly riding date with April.  Bet she'd love it.  You can call it the 'It Ain't Easy Bein' Green' club's weekly meeting."

"There. Is. No. Such. Thing," Heather ground out, but there was a hint of laughter in her voice, too.

"So. You. Say," he intoned in return.

"School's out on the eighth – Thursday – and that's just a half day, anyway," she explained a few seconds later.  "Definitely all downhill from here.  But if it'll make you happy, I'll talk to April, and maybe, who knows?  We'll see," Heather promised.

"Good," he declared, yawning.  "And if I can figure this mess out and come home, I'll just slide right into the slot and we can go riding together."

"Yeah, that's a really good way to piss April off," she snorted.  "Use her, and toss her aside," she declared.  "And, if the 'It Ain't Easy Bein' Green' club did exist – which it doesn't – it would definitely be girls only – NBA: No. Boys. Allowed."

"Right, that's the third rule of the 'It Ain't Easy Bein' Green' club, I'm guessin'.  No boys – no one born into the name – allowed," Jake suggested.  "And, of course, the first two rules are you do not talk about the 'It Ain't Easy Bein' Green' club."

"That sounds about right," Heather laughed, "If we had such a club – which we don't – I would get myself appointed to the Rules Committee, and we'd adopt those rules, probably unanimously," she decided, adding, "And, you do realize that I've actually never seen that movie."

"It's not your kinda movie, babe."

"That's what I've always assumed," she agreed.  "But yes, you should figure that mess out and come home, and then we'll just hafta make our own riding date.  In fact, come home and I'll go riding with you every day," she pledged, "At least until school starts."

"I'm tryin', babe, I swear," Jake promised, yawning again.

"Jake, you need to get to bed," Heather chided.  "When's your next shift?"

"Forty-five minutes," he decided, checking his watch.  "Can't go to bed now, that'd be worse," he argued.  "And I got six hours in before I snuck out to make my calls."

"So, I guess you won't actually be the narcoleptic trucker of my nightmares, then."

That earned her a chuckle.  "I'll survive, I swear.  I'm ready to go, just need about fifteen minutes to get back to the yard.  So, where'd you guys ride to?"

"You really want to hear about all of this?" Heather inquired.

"I want to hear all about your day."

"Okay – I'm gonna head upstairs then," she decided.  "But—"

"But you locked up already, right?" Jake wanted to know.  "Alarm's on?"

"Yes, Jake, all locked up," Heather assured him.  "Right after I walked your parents out.  In fact, if they'd needed to come back for something, I would have had to turn it off, and then they would probably think I was a little weird – paranoid."

"If they think anyone's paranoid, it's me," he reminded.  "Though you'd think they could just be happy that I love my wife and want her to be safe."

"You'd think," she'd echoed, clearly pleased with his pronouncement.  "And, I love you, too.  But what I was trying to tell you is that this phone might cut out," Heather warned, groaning.  "The batteries all seem to be going bad at once, and I just need to buy new ones.  First task on my list when school's out.  So, call me back if that happens."

"Will do," he agreed.  "You need to buy all new phones, or just replace the batteries?  'Cause, you know I get paid double for the holiday, so we can totally afford it," he joked.

"You're doing two jobs, you should get paid quadruple for the holiday," Heather argued, "Maybe quintuple."

"Well, that Jake Green's paycheck all goes into a bank account in New Bern that we'll never see.  Then it all gets magically spent, so he still looks broke."

"The bank's actually in New Bern?" she asked.  Jake started to answer, but then realized that she must have held the phone away for a moment to keep from yelling at him, because the next thing he heard was Heather, from a bit of a distance, shouting for their dog, Baron.  "C'mon, boy!  Let's go!  Let's go!  Upstairs!" she called in the sing-songy voice she used with the dog.  "Okay, I'm back – but still heading upstairs," she announced a few seconds later.

"You're letting him sleep on the bed, aren't you?" Jake accused, groaning.

Heather giggled softly, replying, "I plead the Fifth."

"So, that's a yes."

"I admit nothing," she told him.  "Plus, that's your rule, not mine.  So maybe Baron's just a rule breaker like his dad," Heather teased.

Jake laughed.  "I really shouldn't have to remind you that he's adopted."

"I do know that, trust me.  But he also completely imprinted on you, Jake, I swear he copies you…."  She trailed off, not bothering to complete her thought.  "And I know he's a dog, but I need some sort of company, and he's good company for the duration."

"Pretty sure he's forgotten all about me, and is one hundred percent your dog now," Jake disputed, "He's probably gonna go all Oedipal complex on me when I get home."  She didn't respond, and he let out a heavy sigh.  "I'm sorry."

"You don't hafta apologize, Jake, please," Heather ordered, an annoyed note ringing in her tone.  "I mean, I really do kinda hate your job right now," she confessed, "But you don't have to apologize for it.  It is what it is, right?  And besides, you're gonna clean that mess up and come home," she reminded.  Clearing her throat, Heather announced, "Okay, I'm here, and I'm gonna switch phones, so gimme a sec."

Jake waited, listening as she arranged herself on their bed, two phones – the cordless phone from downstairs and an actual, still plugged-into-the-wall phone that was on his nightstand – active for a brief, few seconds.  He thought he heard her pat the bed, but admitted to himself that he'd probably made that up only after he noted the gentle clink of Baron's tags as he'd settled himself next to her. 

"Okay.  Though why do I have to give you all the details of my day?" Heather challenged playfully.  "Maybe I wanna hear about your day."

"Because my day is exactly the same as the last time I described it to you.  Well, except we shifted it an hour earlier because of the heat," he admitted.  "So now, up at three thirty, report in at four, on the road by four thirty, forty-five at the latest, drive.  Go basically five, six different places – plus use different routes when possible – so a little variety there.  Off at two or three – depending on how bad the heat is on the trucks that day.  Not the people, just the trucks," Jake grumbled, deciding against mentioning that sometimes he got stuck for a few hours outside the Green Zone, waiting for the hottest part of the day to pass, before he was allowed to return to base.  All in a bid to keep the trucks operating.  "In bed by nine, earlier if I can manage.  Plus, I stay in what is basically a college dormitory in hell.  And I still have to find time to do my other job."  He exhaled a frustrated breath.  Sorry," he said after a short pause, "I shouldn't lay that all on you.  I'm the one who got myself into this.  But at least if you tell me about the ride, I'll have somethin' else I can think about later today."

"I'm sorry that's how your days go, hon."

"It is what it is," he replied, quoting her back to herself.  "You know, I actually spent a good fifteen minutes tabbing through the pictures of a half birthday party the other day – when I didn't know that was a real thing – because at least it was something that wasn't here.  Plus," he continued, "She's a cute kid.  She's got hair now.  Kinda crazy hair, but still cute."

"That was a real Pebbles hairdo," Heather conceded, with a laugh.  "I think Kerry's just trying to make sure everybody knows she's a girl, and for some reason is worried that the pink dresses and sparkly sandals aren't enough of a clue, so she tried to make a pigtail."  She sighed then, telling him, "Your mom took pictures today on our ride, so I'll ask her to send you those, okay?"

"That'd be great, thanks."

"We just went out along Johnston Creek, I dunno, a mile or two?  You're always better with knowing distance than me, especially on horseback," she complained softly. 

"It's a pilot thing," Jake dismissed.

"And an experienced rider thing," she returned.  "I appreciate that you know these things, Jake.  It's why I will just get on a horse and go somewhere with you.  I know you know what you're doing, and I'm not gonna end up dead," Heather told him. 

"Thanks, babe," Jake murmured, "I love you, too."

"See? You get me.  Exactly what I was saying.  I love you," Heather declared, "And, I know I'm safe with you.  Of course, I'm still so sore I can't walk the next day, but that's my problem."

"Easy to fix by riding regularly," he reminded.

"Yeah, yeah," she griped. "I will talk to April, okay?  Who was the person, actually, who wanted to go all the way out to Dinah's Bluff, which I agree is super pretty and everything, but yeah, I didn't think I'd survive that.  It's gotta be ten miles, round trip, at least."

"Closer to twelve," Jake supplied, pulling a long groan from his wife.  "So, a mile and a half out along Johnston Creek?  That's Mary's Meadow," he told her.  "Nice spot.  Maybe that's where you went?"

"That's exactly where we went," Heather confirmed brightly, "And it's pretty, too.  Plus, it combined the two activities for the day, because your dad finally explained to me the mystery of the Marys."

"There's a mystery of the Marys?"

Heather’s "Yes!" was emphatic.  "Because it turns out there are four of them, though I only knew about three of them.  Well, two of them, actually," she corrected.  "Anyway, do you remember how Gramps really wanted to clean up the documentation of the cemetery about a year before he died?"

"And then you got drafted into helping him?  Yeah, I remember that," Jake snorted.

"I didn't mind," Heather dismissed, "Though Gramps was always very cagey about the Marys corner of the cemetery," she said, settling into what Jake thought of as her storytelling voice.  "I just knew that there was a plot labelled 'Mary – Mary', then the plot for your great great great grandfather Cormac – I knew who he was – and then another 'Mary'."

"Two graves, three Marys?" Jake guessed.  "But Gramps never told you anything about them?"

"Nope," she confirmed, "Because I don't think he wanted me to know that your three greats grandfather had two wives, both named Mary," she laughed softly.  "I guess he thought that was a bit of a scandal.  The first died in childbirth – very nineteenth century – and the baby – also named Mary, apparently – also died." 

"That explains the 'Mary – Mary' grave at least."

"Yes, which gets us to three Marys, because Cormac married Mary the second, like, a year later," Heather explained.  "So, her grave is on the other side of Cormac's from Mary the first's.  And, it's a little weird, except maybe not since Mary was the most popular girls' name in the English language for hundreds of years."

"Makes sense," Jake agreed.

"Oh, and then the fourth Mary was Cormac and Mary the second's daughter, one of their, like, seven kids.  And, she's not buried in the Green family cemetery, so we have to assume she lived to adulthood, married, and is buried in some other cemetery.  I'll have to ask your dad if knows anything about that."

"So, Mary's Meadow could be for any of them – or all of them, I guess," Jake said.

"Right," Heather acknowledged, "Which is nice, really.  But the whole four Marys thing is still an odd bit of Green family history.  Probably not a scandal, but…."

"Heather, my third great grandmother was Pawnee Indian," Jake reminded with an uneasy chuckle.  "I'm pretty sure she wasn't called 'Mary' when she was born.  That would have happened … later."

"Oh God," she swore.  "So, you think Cormac marries her and decides he should just call her by his dead first wife's name?!" Heather demanded, clearly indignant on his thrice great grandmother's behalf.  "Because that’s easier for him to say?  To remember?  That's – that's just messed up," she complained.

"It is messed up," Jake agreed, laughing, "Though, it does explain why Gramps never wanted to tell you the story behind all the Marys."

"Well, I hope at least that her real name was something close to Mary," Heather grumbled.  "But that just leads to a bunch more questions – How exactly, did he come to marry her?  Did she speak English?  Did he speak Pawnee? – I hope that's the name of the language – Could they communicate at all?  Gramps was right, I did not need to know this," she decided.  "And now, I will never look at Mary's Meadow the same again," Heather proclaimed, making an annoyed noise.

"I have no idea about any of those really good questions," Jake told her.  "But maybe it was actually my twice great grandfather who named it for his mother," he suggested.  "Not Cormac, with all his Marys.  That'd make it better, right?" 

"Yeah," she agreed after a few seconds' pause.  "I like that better.  And I do have a major soft spot for your great great grandfather – he was the first 'Jacob' in your family tree," Heather reminded.  "Okay, so Jacob named Mary's Meadow for his mother, and maybe his sister," she declared.  "That's the story, and I'm stickin' to it."

"Maybe I need to start naming places on the ranch," Jake announced, his tone teasing.  "Need to go out and find 'Gail's Gulch' and 'Heather's Hill'."

Heather groaned softly.  "Those are bad names, Jake.  I refuse to have a hill named after me, and I'm pretty sure your mother wouldn't want a gulch named after her."

"How 'bout a gully? A gap?  A glen?  Or a hedgerow?" he listed, admitting, "That's the only 'H' besides hill I can think of."

"I'm pretty sure there are no hedgerows in Kansas," she reminded.  "And maybe don't alliterate.  Though, really, hon, just leave naming things up to me.  I'm way better at it."

"That's true," Jake agreed, not at all offended by his wife's assertion.  "So, what did you guys have for dinner?"

"You really want to know that? " Heather asked, "I mean, I know you don't like the food there."

"I pretty much hate it,” he confirmed, “Because the food’s bad.  Even things I like are bad here.  They have this generic peanut butter, and it’s not actually bad, but it’s not good either.  Doesn't really taste like anything.  So, yeah, I wanna know."

"It was totally spur of the moment, Jake," she told him.  "By the time we got back and had taken care of the horses, your mom said if we all went back to town, we probably wouldn’t be eating ‘til seven or later, so I offered to throw something together out here."

"Since you don’t want to tell me, that means it’s something I like," he deduced.  "So, what didja have?  I'm livin' vicariously here, babe," Jake informed her.  "Also, making a list for when I get home."

"Must be really bad if you’re making a list," Heather teased halfheartedly.

"Exactly," he agreed, chuckling.  "So, what was for dinner?"

"I wasn't ready to make a real dinner, like your mom," she reminded.  "I was just lucky I had already made deviled eggs to take to your parents' tonight because—"

"Because chickens," Jake sighed.  Heather had inherited Gramps' chickens, and even when he was home, they had a hard time eating all the eggs the small flock produced.  The only way Heather could have used all the eggs on her own was if she gave up eating everything but eggs.  "You're not gonna believe this, but I actually miss the chickens.  Real eggs, anyway," he explained.  "The only way they serve eggs here is scrambled and rubbery.  I'm adding deviled eggs to my list."

"Well, I will make you deviled eggs with double the tabasco when you get home, okay?" Heather offered, joking, "But now you can't call the chickens evil anymore."

"I'll try and cut 'em some slack," he agreed, chuckling softly.  "So, what else did you guys have?  Or, did you just give my mom deviled eggs for dinner?"

"That was just the appetizer.  And, no way I would've invited your parents to have just deviled eggs for dinner.  I know my eating habits horrify her, and then if all I gave her was deviled eggs, she'd start thinking she needed to rescue you from my nutritionally deficient clutches."

"It was a joke, Heather," Jake assured his wife, "And I don't want to be rescued from your clutches, so I wouldn't go.  And, anyway, didn't my mom once say I was your problem now?" 

Heather laughed.  "I don't think those were her exact words.  Or sentiment."

"Well, however she said it, you're stuck with me," he informed her. 

"Then, I guess I'll just keep feeding you all wrong in your mother's eyes," she decided, "But I won't worry about it, 'kay?"

"Works for me, babe."

"Well, since I couldn't make a real dinner on short notice – or no notice, really," Heather sighed, "I made grilled cheese."

Jake groaned.  "God, I love your grilled cheese for dinner.  That's real dinner in my book."

"I meant it's not your mom's idea of 'real dinner'," Heather argued.  "But I told her that you like grilled cheese for dinner, and then April defended me – Eric too, actually." 

"Well, duh.  Every time you make Eric grilled cheese, he tries to convince you to open a grilled cheese restaurant," Jake teased.  "And he's never even had your grilled PB and J."

"Grilled PB and J is just for you and me," she confirmed, her voice taking on a husky quality.  "I don't even make it for myself when you're not here.  And, I don't think I'm going open a grilled anything restaurant," Heather told him, "Too much work, and I like the job I already have.  But I enjoy experimenting with different ingredients, just for us.  And, I think tonight was okay, actually.  I put bacon in everybody's sandwich, so that won over your dad.  Plus, I've been working on a new recipe – kinda a caprese sandwich, but now with bacon – and your mom seemed to like that.  April loved it."

"Can't wait to try it, babe," Jake declared.  "So that's also on my list.  Though caprese – that means tomato—"

"I'll do yours without the tomato, promise.  Maybe even double the bacon," she offered.

"Thanks."

"So, something funny happened yesterday," Heather started after a short pause.  "Well, not funny really, but it was something I wanted to talk to you about."

"'Kay," Jake replied after ten seconds had passed and she hadn't said anything else.  "Shoot."

On the other end of the line, he heard her take a deep breath before beginning slowly.  "Sooo, last night, I went to take my pill, and it turned out that it was the last one – last in the pack," she clarified quickly before exhaling a nervous breath.  "Anyway, I went to get a new pack out of the drawer I keep them in, but there wasn't one."  Heather coughed once, softly, before continuing.  "And then, I kinda panicked for about thirty seconds, probably," she decided, "Before I remembered that I really didn't need to.  I mean, I can just call in the refill on Tuesday, no harm, no foul, right?"

"Right," he acknowledged.

"Thing is, I'm not sure – I don't think I want to," she confessed.

"Okay."

"I'm talking about my birth control pills, Jake," Heather explained once it became clear to her that he wasn't planning to say anything else.

"I know that, babe," he returned, exhaling a long breath.  "And – and, if you don't want to refill it, then don't," Jake instructed after another too long pause.

"Don't get the refill," she repeated.  "That's all you have to say?"

"What do you want me to say?" he asked, "That you should get the refill?"

"I don't know," Heather admitted, a hint of exasperation seeping into her tone.  "Maybe – maybe I want you to say: 'God, you're so right, Heather.  What took you so long?  I've been waiting forever for you to say something.  I don't want you to get the refill either.  Absolutely, we should have a baby.'"

"'Cause, that sounds exactly like something I would say," Jake chuckled softly.

Almost against her will, a giggle – a nervous giggle – escaped her.  "Not even a little bit," she grumbled.  "For starters, you would never say 'baby', you'd say 'kid'.  And I know – I know you haven't been sitting around, waiting for the day I finally say something – announce I want to have a child," she scoffed.

"I have been," he contradicted, clarifying, "Waiting for you to say something.  Us having a kid – kids?  I'm gonna follow your lead on that, babe.  That's your call.  Especially the 'when' part.  I really thought you knew that," Jake sighed.  "And, I am kinda surprised that it took you so long."

"Okay," Heather acknowledged, sounding somewhat doubtful.  "Because we always said we'd talk about having kids in three or four years," she argued.

"We did," he agreed, "And it's been four years."

"So, okay then.  I want to start that conversation – I wanna talk about this," she insisted.  "Make sure you don't hate the idea."

"Heather, I don't hate it," Jake assured her, his voice a low rumble in her ear that – even though she wanted to focus on having a serious conversation – made her melt a little inside.  "I never have."

"Really?" she returned, not quite able to keep from sounding surprised by his declaration.

"Really," he confirmed.  "We always said that if you got pregnant, then you got pregnant, and we'd deal with it.  I've always been prepared for that."

"But that's why we need to talk about this!" she huffed, frustration lending a sharp edge to her voice.  "This – this shouldn't be some – some five-minute conversation where you tell me, 'Sure, babe, don't get your refill.'  This – this is a big step – a giant change to our lives—"

"So, we can't cover all that it in five minutes, but we can in fifteen or twenty minutes?"  Jake's tone was calm and kind, but also the slightest bit skeptical.  "Because that's about all the time we've got before I hafta go."

"No, of course not," Heather groaned.  "And, I know you have to go. I just – I wanted to start talking about this.  I'm not saying we have to finish the discussion – just start talking about it."

"Okay," he agreed, "And we can talk about it, but…." He paused, exhaling deeply.  "I think – maybe – this particular discussion might work better in person."

"Right."  Her response was clipped and it was another ten seconds before she said anything more.  "So, when are we gonna be able to have one of those?  An 'in person' discussion?"

"Heather—"

"Jake," she interrupted, cutting him off.  "We have not been in the same place in a hundred and ten days.  That's more than double our previous record of forty-six days. And – and I hate that I know that – that I feel that – and I don't want to put pressure on you, but—"

"I hate it too, babe," he interjected, "I mean, I'm glad you miss me – I miss you – but I hate the rest of it.  And, I'm sorry."  This time she didn't rush to tell him not to apologize, and he had to fight the urge to bang his head on the table in front of him.  "This assignment – it's really kickin' my ass," he admitted, grumbling softly. 

"Yeah," she acknowledged, "It's kinda kicking my ass too."

"I shoulda bailed out on this after Afghanistan," he muttered.  "Should've told Gretchen to put somebody else in if it was so important."  This was, Jake knew, the exact type of assignment he'd sworn to Heather – to his father-in-law – that he'd wouldn't take on ever again.  But the mystery, the complexity of the investigation had intrigued him, and it hadn't occurred to him until he'd been in Iraq for a month that he should have left this chase to someone else.  "I told her that I'd quit before I ever took something on like this again," he assured Heather.  "I can quit right—"

"I'm not asking you to do that," she sighed.  "I just – I don't wanna go two hundred days without seeing you.  I want – I want our anniversary trip," Heather decided.  "And, I'm not saying it has to be two weeks on a beach somewhere. Or actually on our anniversary.  I know it'll be hard to arrange, but sometime this summer, are we gonna be able to see each other?"  The words tumbled out of her quickly – nervously.  "Be 'in person'?  For a week, maybe?  Even a long weekend would be good," Heather offered, negotiating against herself.  "Because I really – I need that, Jake.  I need to hang out with you, and have 'in person' talks – just talk where there's no time limit, and no worrying about what we say, because of whatever."

"I want that, too, Heather.  I miss you, too."

"Frankly, there's some other 'in person' type stuff I also need," she said softly. 

"Trust me, I'm lookin' forward to some other 'in person' type stuff myself," he told her.  "The 'in person' type stuff that leads to kids," he added suggestively, "Just so we're clear on the 'in person' type stuff we're talkin' about."

"That was what I was getting at, yes," she confirmed, and Jake could hear the smile in her voice.  "But we're just gonna talk about kids, okay?  Not do anything about it – well, we will do things, but I'm gonna get the refill is what I mean," she groaned, and Jake knew she was blushing now.  "I'd much rather spend some time with you on birth control than go off it, and not see you for six months or a year," Heather declared.  "But I do want to talk about it.  Kids.  Having a baby," she sighed.  "Deal?" 

"Deal," Jake agreed.  "But no way are we going six months without seeing each other.  If that happens – well, it won't, 'cause I'll quit," he vowed.  "And, we're definitely going on our trip.  Full two weeks," he promised. 

This was another thing that had snuck up on him.  He'd known their anniversary was soon – it was always five weeks after her birthday – but for the first time he had no idea where they would be going.  "Coupl'a tricky things I need to figure out with this assignment, but I'm – I'm workin' on it," he insisted, swearing to himself that he'd begin his research as soon as he had five – two – minutes to spare.

"Okay, good.  Thank you," she murmured.  "And, you know, we could always meet halfway.  For our trip.  If that helps.  Once school's out I won't have anything to do, and you have lots to do – too much."

"You're gonna go riding with April, right?  That's somethin' to do," he reminded.  "Besides, I'm pretty sure that halfway between home and Iraq is somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.  We can do better than that," Jake joked.

"Okay then," Heather declared, her voice lilting as she got into the spirit of things.  "So maybe I go ninety percent of the way," she offered, "That'd put us on the French Riviera, maybe the Amalfi coast."

"That sounds great," he declared, before admitting with his next breath, "But it doesn't fit with my cover.  The other Jake Green can't afford fancy European vacations – he can't afford any vacation," he muttered.   "But gimme a week or two, and I'll figure some things out," Jake promised.  "And hey, French Riviera, Amalfi those are definitely top of the list for next year.  Five-year anniversary, we need to go big."

"You always go big, Jake," she reminded, laughing softly.  "But still, I'm gonna hold you to that."

"You do that," he declared, "I want you to." 

"Time for you to go, huh?" Heather asked a few seconds later.

"Yeah, pretty close," Jake agreed, looking at his watch again.  "Unfortunately.  So, what're your plans for the rest of the evening?" he asked, knowing he was stalling.

"If I answer that question, you're going to get a very boring email tomorrow," she informed him.  "Well, later today, for you.  Besides, I need to go take Baron out."

"You're gonna take him out now?  So much for safety," Jake complained halfheartedly.

"Maybe you are a little paranoid," Heather teased.  "It's, like, eight o'clock – not even dark, really.  I'm gonna turn off the alarm, and step out back for ten minutes, that's all.  I'll turn it back on as soon as we're back in the house, promise.  I may let him sleep on the bed, but I don't want him peeing on the floor."

"So, you admit it – the dog's sleeping on the bed."

"I guess I do," she sighed. 

"'Whaddya gonna do about it, Jake?'" he filled in for his wife, pitching his voice higher in an extremely bad imitation of her.

"I sound nothing like that, mister," Heather informed him.  In his mind's eye, he pictured her shaking her head, rolling her eyes, but also fighting a smile.  "I didn't mean that," she assured him, "I wasn't even thinking it."

"Yeah, but maybe you should mean that," he argued.  "You shouldn't have to put up with me, all this crap."

"But I like you, so I do put up with you," she reminded.  "And if you want to do something about it – any of it – clean that mess up, hon, and come home."

"Heather, I gotta—"

"—Gotta go," she completed for him.  "I know.  It's okay.  I've loved my forty-five minutes, so thank you.  Even the – the awkward parts.  I'm always glad to talk to you," she declared.  "I hope you know that."

"Pleasure's all mine, seriously.  Love you, babe."

"Love you, Jake."

"Love you more.  Bye."

"Bye."

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


From: Heather Green (home)

Sent: Sun May 28 21:37 (UTC-5)

To: Jake Green (personal)

Subject: Tonight

Attachments: poor_puppy.jpg


Hi Jake,

I am so sorry I sprang that on you tonight.  That was totally unfair.  I mean, me basically saying "Hey, we should have a baby" is like you saying "We should just get married" and we both know how well I reacted to that.  You took it way better than I did.  And, I was definitely thinking out loud.  You don't have to feel bad because you aren't in the exact same place as me.  If I could take it back, I would.  Can I take it back??

OK, so I don't actually/completely mean that.  I am ready to talk about having kids, but not if you think us having kids is just something to "deal with".  I can wait to have kids until you're ready for sure.  I mean that might change in a few years, but for now, "when" is your call.  I'm ready now, at least I think I am, but we can wait until you're ready too.

So, I guess my request is that we talk about this when we are "in person", and let me tell you, I can't wait for that!  But don't feel bad about how you feel, just talk about it with me, OK?  And then we talk about it again in six months.  That work?

Also, I can already tell I'm getting sore, so I am going to go take a bubble bath and soak in the absolutely amazing/ridiculous bathtub my wonderful husband insisted we install when we moved in here. :-)  Such a smart guy.  (Not to mention super hot.)  Would be way better if he were here to join me, but you can't have everything.

Well, I don't think this email is quite long enough yet, since I know you want all the details.  (You're going to regret telling me that, mister.)

Baron and I were outside for exactly 7 minutes, and now he seems to be completely aware of your disapproval because he went straight to his bed and looks very sad laying there with his head on his paws.  Won't even look at any of his toys.  My poor puppy. :-( (See attached.)

I turned the alarm back on (just so you know) and had some ice cream.  There's nothing on TV tonight, so I read for a bit, and now I am headed for my bubble bath.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Remembrance Ceremony at the park with your parents.  If I can walk, that is.  And then I have a whole afternoon free, so who knows what I'll do.  I'll try to find something to do that is worth reading about for tomorrow's email.

That's pretty much it.  I'm even caught up on grading, will wonders never cease.

I love you.  I miss you. I love and miss you.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Heather


 


From: Jake Green (personal)

Sent: Mon May 29 18:34 (UTC+3)

To: Heather Green (home)

Subject: RE: Tonight

Attachments:


 

Ouch Babe.

I know you are trying to make me feel better but did you have to bring up my least finest moment ever?  Well maybe tied with calling you crazy that one time.

Now I'm going to stop remembering all the times I was a complete asshole to you because I would like us to stay married.  Just remember that I'm the guy who made you get the tub with jets so that balances out some of the times I am an idiot right?

Definitely wish I was there to join you.

I don't think of kids as something to "deal with" ok? I like kids remember?  I'm 7 kids favorite uncle Jake.   

You want kids.  I want kids because I want you to have kids.  I want to see you with our kids.  I want to teach our kids things.  I just don't know if it's the right time because of my job situation.  Also hard to have kids with 7000 miles between us.  I remember that from HS biology. 

And Baron is totally playing you.  I bet five seconds after you turned out the lights last night he was back on the bed with you.  Tell me I'm wrong.

Love you

Jake


 


From: Agent JJ Green (DEA) [SECURE EMAIL]

Sent: Mon May 29 20:04 (UTC+3)

To: Heather Green (home)

Subject: Your Call

Attachments: JJGreen_Resignation.doc


 

Hi Babe –

I know you wanted a different reaction from me last night.  I'm sorry.

You are more important than this job.  You are the most important.  This job isn't even in the top ten.  Any time you tell me to hit send I will.

Love you

Jake


 


From: Heather Green (home)

Sent: Mon May 29 13:57 (UTC-5)

To: Agent JJ Green (DEA)

Subject: RE: Your Call

Attachments:


 

Jake/Agent Green,

No, it's really not.  Your job, your call. 

I am not asking you to resign, I am asking for a discussion and eventually a timeframe.

I can't wait to see you in person.  I figure I'm allowed to tell Agent Green that even though I should probably avoid telling Jake Green that.  Would you mind letting him know for me. ;-)

Also, I hope I didn't mess up by mentioning that in my earlier email to Jake Green.  I wasn't thinking.  I'm sorry.

I love you too,

Heather


 


From: Heather Green (home)

Sent: Mon May 29 14:18 (UTC-5)

To: Jake Green (personal)

Subject: RE: Tonight

Attachments:


 

Hi Jake,

Sorry to bring up a sore subject.  I was really just trying to say that you didn't have to feel bad about something I said when I really hadn't thought it through, and was absolutely thinking out loud. 

I'm just going to admit it – I'm a little lonely these days.  It used to be when you were gone for a couple of weeks or a month, that just meant I got my work done, both my work as a teacher, and my master's course work.  Or if I needed to talk to someone, I'd wander downstairs and see what Gramps was up to.  How do you think I became such an expert on your genealogy?  Then you'd come home, and I'd get behind on everything because you are very good at being distracting. (That's a compliment, just so we're clear.  I am very pro-Jake Green Distraction. :-D )

Anyway, things are different now.  Maybe I'm just trying to rush the future.  But that's not fair to you, so I'm sorry.

Also, FYI, I'm planning to stay married to you.  I like (love) being married to you.  I just wish you were home, and definitely NOT 7000 miles away.

I know you like kids, and you are an awesome uncle.  But those kids, we give them back after we borrow them to play (and we don't get to borrow them that much).  When the kids belong to us, we don't get to do that.  (We can loan them out sometimes, but they will get returned.  Actually, we will want them returned because they're our kids.)  That's why we need to talk about this. 

As for Baron, you are both right and wrong.  When I fell asleep last night, he was not on the bed.  This morning, he was drooling on your pillow.  (You shouldn't have asked if you didn't want to know that.)

So, your mom said she'll send you the pictures from yesterday soon.  She is also apparently making last night's dinner tonight and invited me to join them.  Actually, she invited me to come over and learn how to make her meatloaf.  I have made meatloaf before – that's one of the recipes my mom insisted on teaching me.  But your mom's is way better, so I never made meatloaf again after I'd had hers (at the VERY FIRST Green family Sunday dinner I ever attended :-D ).  I think I will head over soon and hang out with her and learn the secret of Gail's meatloaf.  I wonder if it's zucchini.  That's her secret spaghetti sauce ingredient.  But if it turns out it's orange juice, I am going to have a hard time not laughing. 

Love you, love you, love you!

Heather


 


From: Heather Green (home)

Sent: Mon May 29 20:39 (UTC-5)

To: Jake Green (personal)

Subject: Meatloaf

Attachments:


 

So, the secret ingredient of Gail's meatloaf is three-fold.  Mushrooms – sliced up and mixed in (I should have figured that out).  Tomato juice (so it was juice!  I giggled, and then I had to explain why I was giggling) for extra moistness. And then she said that she just looks in the fridge and kind of mashes any leftover vegetables she has, including sometimes zucchini, into the mix.  Plus, she puts a ton of ketchup on top.  I knew that part, I've always loved the ketchup crust, but she puts on way more than I would have ever thought necessary. 

Just realized I am sending you an email all about a meal that you probably miss.  But now I think I can attempt your mom's meatloaf so you can put that on your list, and we'll both make it for you.  So at least there's that.

Back to school tomorrow.  I'll make sure to note all the goings on in the 3rd grade so I can tell you about them in excruciating detail.  Oh, and I have yard duty all week so that's 3 recesses worth of the entire school's drama.  (No bus duty, though I do try and take that off of Gina's hands sometimes.  I remember what it was like to be the rookie teacher and get all the jobs foisted on you.) :-)

I love you, Jake,

Heather


 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Tuesday May 30, 6:42 am (Jericho KS) / Tuesday May 30, 2:42 pm (Baghdad Iraq)

4 months before the bombs

 

"Hi Jake!  Ack!" Heather greeted, answering her cell phone – only a year old, but still programmed to play Take Me Out to the Ballgame when he called – while also juggling her purse, lunch, and travel coffee mug as she slid into the driver's seat of her car. 

"You okay, babe?" 

"Yes, sort of," she groan-chuckled.  She'd trapped the phone between her ear and shoulder by tilting her head – the only way she had managed not to drop everything else – and now she attempted a semi-controlled release of her purse and lunch on the passenger seat.  The mug was still clenched in her hand, and though she'd splashed a trace of coffee onto her thumb and wrist, she didn't think she'd spilled any on her clothes.  "I'm running late – still at the ranch – and I tried to make it to the car all in one trip," she explained, licking a drop of coffee off her right hand, while catching her phone with the left, so she could straighten her neck.  She looked around, realizing, "Not sure where my keys are.  But where are you?  Off for the day I hope?"

"'Nother half hour, forty-five minutes, probably," Jake answered.  "My truck's being unloaded, and they said I didn't need to help, so I figured I'd give you a call while I wait.  Still hafta drive back, but I'm not that far away."

"That's a little weird," Heather observed.  She placed the travel mug in the cupholder and then opened her door, scanning the ground for her keys.

"I'm not gonna question it," Jake claimed.  The fact of the matter was, this was exactly the sort of thing he did question.  Every so often, he got one of these assignments where suddenly he didn't get to see his cargo, didn't receive full paperwork.  The official word was that these deliveries required a security clearance that he – that other Jake Green anyway – and three-quarters of the other drivers didn't have.  And true, there were usually a few military personnel who showed up to assist with loading and unloading, so maybe it was just a security clearance issue.  But maybe it wasn't.  "I'll just take the break.  So, no staff meeting this week?  I decided to take a chance, but if there is a meeting, you're really gonna be late."

"No, meeting's cancelled," she replied, climbing out of the Trailblazer so she could look under the car, and then under the driver's seat for her keys.  "Short week, holiday week, seven and a half more instructional days.  Take your pick.  I think we all just want to be done, Mrs. McVeigh especially.  Argh," Heather complained, "I seriously have no idea where my keys are."

"You used them to lock the door, right?" he suggested helpfully.

"Yes, armed the alarm – just for you—"

"'Preciate that."

"—Locked the door, unlocked my car – so they were in my hand – and then somehow they disappeared."  Heather climbed back into the vehicle, leaning over to peer into the gap between her seat and the center console.  Still no dice.  Finally, in the next instance, straightening in her seat, she spotted them.  "Oh, there they are," she declared.  "I have no idea how," she explained while leaning across the console and the passenger's seat to retrieve her keys, "But they ended up on the floor on the other side of the car. I dunno."

"Well, I'm glad you found 'em," Jake told her, "Do I need to let you go?"

"We can talk while I drive," she reminded, "Somebody insisted I get the Bluetooth upgrade.  Just give me a second."  Heather deposited her phone in the cupholder, put on her seatbelt and inserted her key in the ignition, starting the car.  "Can you hear me – and I'm not going to say that last bit, because this is not a commercial."

"I can," he confirmed.  "So, what's on the docket today, Mrs. Green?"

"Not much, honestly," Heather admitted.  "I didn't give any homework because of the holiday.  Like I said the other night, it's all downhill from here.  I'm doing my all caps 'LAST SPELLING TEST OF THE YEAR' thing again, and the words that my class wants to be tested on are basically the same as last year: 'dragon', 'monkey', 'pirate', and 'unicorn'.  Well, one kid said 'leprechaun', so I think I'll throw that in as a bonus."

"I think those are all the words they say you shouldn't use as your email password," Jake joked.  "And aren't those pretty easy words for your class?  A couple of months ago you tested them on dinosaur names.  I'm pretty sure I can't spell 'pterodactyl'.  P, T, and I'm out."

"Yes, but you have spell check, so you're okay," she told him.  "Plus, how often in daily life does 'pterodactyl' come up?  For most adults, never.  Only actual paleontologists and elementary school teachers get to talk about dinosaurs as grown-ups."

"That's true.  You are the only person I've discussed dinosaurs with in the last twenty, twenty-five years.  Well, I might have had a conversation with Mindy one time," he amended, "Fifteen, sixteen years ago."

"Exactly, adults talk about dinosaurs pretty much only when they're talkin' to kids.  Because dinosaurs are fascinating to kids, especially third graders.  They have peak dinosaur interest.  So, I use that, and trick 'em into pushing the spelling envelope."

"You're diabolical, Mrs. Green," he teased.  "That's a compliment by the way."

Heather laughed.  "Well, thank you.  I promise, I only use my powers for good.  And that's the whole point of the 'LAST SPELLING TEST OF THE YEAR'.  What do they want to know how to spell, what do they want to write about?  What words are important to them?  And 'monkey' and 'unicorn', those are clearly important words to eight-year olds."

"And that's why eight-year old me is still a little pissed that you weren't his teacher.  Well, not you, but a teacher like you."

"Thanks for clarifying," Heather declared, making the turn off Green Ranch Road and onto Route Nine.  "Because I'd much rather be married to you for seventy years than in charge of educating you for one."

"My preference, too," Jake agreed. 

"I do get some higher degree of difficulty words every year," she continued.  "I have them come talk to me one at a time, so no one is embarrassed about the words they choose.  This year I got one vote for 'aqueduct' and one for 'archipelago'.  So, somebody's watchin' the National Geographic channel, but so not the kids you'd expect."

"Last year, one of the words was 'maraschino'," Jake remembered, "And then you said that nobody got it right on the test."

"That's right, I forgot about that," she chuckled.  "Definitely a kid whose parents are ordering her a Shirley Temple when they go out to dinner.  Or a big hot fudge sundae.  But that's what I love about teaching: surprises all the time, and mostly good."

"Well, kids are funny, right?" he opined.

"Yeah, they are," Heather agreed.  "Funny and fun, both," she agreed.  "Which begs the question: what fun/funny words would eight-year old Jake Green – though you would have already turned nine – but what words would he have put on my test?"

"He would have sandbagged you, totally," Jake answered immediately.  "'Baseball' and 'airplane'.  Those would've been his words."

"And if I challenged him for some stretch words?"

"Well, since he'd've had the hugest crush on you, maybe he'd come up with something to impress…."  He paused a few seconds, seriously contemplating the question.  "Okay, I got it – 'rebel alliance'—"

"Okay, Star Wars is covered," she laughed.

"Yep.  And 'aeronautical'.  Gramps was taking me out to the airfield just to hang out by then.  Didn't take me up in a crop duster until later—"

"That was your mom," she decided.  "She knew he'd let you take the controls pretty much right away."

"Yeah, that's one hundred percent true," he chuckled.  "But, yeah, 'aeronautical', that was a magic word for eight-, nine- and ten-year old me."

"Aw, I love that," Heather declared brightly.  "And I'm stealing 'aeronautical' for the test.  Goes with 'aqueduct' and 'archipelago'."

"Steal away, babe."

"Thanks.  I'm also putting my favorite funny sounding words on the test.  You know, 'hullabaloo', 'gobbledygook', 'rapscallion', 'switcheroo', 'skedaddle', 'lollygag'." 

"It's like you're quoting Gramps."

"He'd say 'slugabed' instead of 'lollygag'."

"Yeah, probably," Jake acknowledged.  "And, he'd have a few to add to your list.  Like 'humdinger' or 'whippersnapper'."

"That sounds just like him," she sighed.  "Anyway, it's a fun, low stress way to end the spelling year.  For me anyway.  The parents may hate it, but nobody complained last year at least."

"Anybody who complains about how you teach their kids is an idiot." 

"Thanks, hon."

"Heather – about our conversation the other night," Jake began a moment later, sounding – to her ear – a little unsure of himself, "And my job, and everything—"

"I assume you haven't seen my emails from yesterday yet?" she said, interrupting him. 

"Went to bed a little early last night," he admitted, "So, no."

"Well then, spoiler alert, I'm not telling you to quit, okay?  That's not my decision."

"Okay," he acknowledged, "But you don't secretly hate me, right?"

"Nope.  In fact, I very blatantly love you," she proclaimed.  "As for the rest, mister, you're just gonna hafta read my emails, because yes, I sent you multiples."

"Soon as I'm off," Jake promised, adding, "And I've had a shower."

"Now see, you always say I tease you with my flannel pjs.  But then you always tease me with takin' a shower," Heather accused, groaning softly. 

"Hey, you're the one who brought up the bathtub," he reminded, "I've been thinking 'bout that ever since." 

"So, you're saying I'm the bigger tease?" she giggled.

"Yep, pretty much," he laughed in return.  "Unless that's gonna land me in the dog—"

Jake heard his name – "Green!" – being called, and looked up to see Ellison, his crew chief, waving him back to the loading dock. 

"Damn," he swore.  "Sorry, babe, gotta go back to work.  Thought I'd have more time," he admitted.

"Bummer," Heather muttered.  "But, hey, I'll take what I can get," she continued, forcing a cheerful note.  "No dog house for you.  And once school's out, we'll have more hours in common, right?  I won't be going to work right as you're getting off, you won't be going to bed before I can get home."

Jake was already moving back toward his boss and his truck.  "Right, that'll be good," he agreed.  "I love you. Have a good day."

"Love you, too," she returned, "Have a good evening."

 

"All done, you can return to the yard," Ellison said as Jake mounted the stairs at the edge of the loading dock.

"That's it?" Jake answered, glancing at the other man's clipboard expectantly.

"Oh right," Ellison grumbled, opening up the storage compartment.  He pulled out a blank form, scribbled a code on it and then signed it.  "You can fill out the rest, right?" he asked, handing the form to Jake.

"I'll take care of it."

"So, who're you talkin' to?" Ellison inquired casually, jerking his head toward the open space Jake had been pacing while he'd been on his phone.

"My wife.  She's a school teacher, so this is when she's on her way to work, and she can't really talk again 'til school's out for the day," he explained, carefully matching Ellison's nonchalant demeanor.  "Sometimes when the kids are at lunch, but not always.  I hope that was okay," Jake added, frowning softly.  "You said to take a break, and I figured I could catch her.  With the time difference, we can't always talk during the week."

"Naw, that's fine," Ellison assured him quickly, clapping him on the shoulder.  "Glad you caught her."

"Thanks," Jake said, flashing a relieved smile.  "I need this job – I need the money.  But I don't want to be doing this forever.  She's not gonna put up with me doin' this forever, so….  Anything you need me to do – better, different, whatever – just let me know."

"I'll keep that in mind," Ellison nodded.  "So, where's home?"

"Kansas."

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 


From: Gail Green

Sent: Tue May 30 09:04 (UTC-5)

To: Jake Green (personal)

Subject: Horseback pictures

Attachments: heather_baron_1.jpg; heather_baron_2.jpg; heather_baron_3.jpg; horseback_1.jpg; horseback_2.jpg; horseback_3.jpg; horseback_4.jpg; horseback_5.jpg


 

Hi Honey,

Heather asked me to send these to you.  Pictures from our ride on Sunday.  We had a lovely time, but we missed you.  Sorry for the delay – I was still pretty worn out from the ride last night.

Heather said she hadn't ridden since you two went on your horseback camping trip for Labor Day last year.  I'd forgotten all about that.  She also said that she was just hoping to not fall off or otherwise embarrass herself.  She really does underestimate her own abilities, she did great, and she's a good rider.  Of course, yesterday at the Remembrance event, we were all kind of limping around, me worst of all.  It did seem to help focus your father's speech – but don't tell him I said that!

We didn't go too far out.  Heather insisted that Baron come along too, so then we couldn't go all the way out to Dinah's Bluff, which is what April wanted to do.  Heather told April she didn't get to kill her poor puppy.  She really is crazy about that dog, not that I blame her.  We ended up going along Johnston's Creek out to Mary's Meadow. 

Heather asked your dad which Mary the meadow was named for, so then we all found out about your 3 times great grandfather marrying 2 women named Mary.  I'm not sure that qualifies as a scandal (he was a widower, not a bigamist), but Heather, April and I all agreed it is a little weird.

April wanted to race, so Eric and your father indulged her on that, and she thanked them for it by humiliating them both – but you didn't hear that from me. During the races, Heather and I sat on the creek bank and talked, which we haven't done in a while.  Anyway, that's when I took the pictures of her and Baron, which I thought you would also like to have. 

Heather insisted that we have dinner at the ranch, which is just as well, we wouldn't have eaten until 7 or later if we'd gone back to the house.  My dinner plans were a little too ambitious for Decoration Day when I hadn't done anything to prep ahead of time.  She made us custom grilled cheese sandwiches on her panini maker. She told me that it's one of her favorite wedding gifts, from one of her aunts, I believe.

She also said that you two have grilled cheese all the time, which I don't know how I didn't know that.  They were delicious!  Heather is a real grilled cheese gourmand. I honestly don't know why she always says she can't cook.  Your dad even said we should get our own panini maker, probably because she put bacon in his grilled cheese.

Heather came over yesterday afternoon and we made meatloaf together.  It was fun, and gave us another chance to talk.  She said you are making a list of your favorite things to eat for when you get home, and we agreed that we would tackle it together.  I also got the impression that Heather isn't really looking forward to the end of school.  I think she's worried she will be at loose ends with nothing to do.  She said that she's going to make sure she rides this summer because you want her to, and she's asked if I'd like to join her and April once a week or so.  I think I may.

That brings us to ranch business.  I had a good long talk with Tony on Thursday, and Jake I have to admit, I've dropped the ball a bit.  He told me that we only have 2 mares in foal so far this year, and that those were both from the first week of February when you were here to handle the live cover.  He reminded me that he can't do it alone, even with Eddie's help.  We haven't even been able to provide stud service because we don't have the handlers. 

Tony is able to manage day-to-day care, but he isn't comfortable with making breeding decisions or discussing sales.  I can handle the financial discussions - I just search through your grandfather's records when I need to figure out a fair price, thank goodness he embraced computerization in his later years.  But meeting with buyers, taking them through the process, Tony and I are not cut out for that.

We were able to provide stud service for Sharpe Stables in Fielding a few weeks ago.  Rich Sharpe and Tom (he's 17 now, how time flies) had to come over to assist, which they didn't seem to mind, mostly because we bartered Agamemnon as stud for an unregistered 4 year old Shetland pony.  The stud fee would easily be twice the price of the pony, though I would have thought 3x or 4x was more realistic.  Their mare is in foal, so let's hope she stays that way, or we're going to have to provide a free service next year.  If it hadn't been the Sharpes, I might have tried negotiating away the live foal guarantee, but we've done business with them for years, and your grandfather would have thought that was a little underhanded, or not standing behind our brand/reputation, and I agree. 

Anyway, it turns out that children's ponies are hard to get ahold of right now, hence the price hike.  When I first called the Sharpes, Carla told me that there was pony glut a few years ago, and now there's a shortage.  Who knew?  Anyway, something to consider for the future, though if we do go into ponies, we might want to concentrate on the American Shetland Pony, they are a little taller, and a more elegant breed.  Registered of course, since there is a registry for those.  (Listen to me, I'm turning into a snob in my old age.  Your Grandma Betsy would be so proud.)

At Easter, Kevin and Janine asked me to help them find a pony for Zoey.  She's so petite (and doesn't turn 5 until August) but also very vocal about not wanting to ride with one of them now that Alex has his own horse.  Janine suggested a pony for Zoey because I don't think she likes the idea of putting her baby on a full-size horse. (I understand the sentiment!  I felt the same way when you and Eric were 3.  I know you boys didn't really care when Snuffleupagus the pony died, but I was sad.) 

I only asked $500 for the pony.  It was worth a bit more, but they are family, and that's the family discount as far as I'm concerned. I also said we'd take the pony back in trade when it was time for Zoey to move to a proper horse.  That could be awhile though.  Carla Sharpe says their newspaper is delivered each day by a 14 year old on a Welsh pony.  Welshes are bigger of course, but I think Zoey could get 4 or 5 years' use out of this pony. And even if you don't want to go into pony breeding, it doesn't hurt to have a pony on the ranch, just in case.

Kevin, Janine and the kids were out to pick up the pony on Saturday.  Tony had checked her out to make sure she was ready to pass on (we had Doc Hansen look at her too), but like I said, Tony doesn't really like the sales meetings.  Luckily April was a sweetheart and came out to help Zoey "test drive" the pony.  The pony came with the name "Sunshine" and Zoey wanted to change it to "Buttercup".  I thought that was from The Princess Bride (though how would Zoey know that movie?) but Heather guessed it was from the Powder Puff Girls, some cartoon, I guess.  Turns out Heather was right.  Of course, she knows kids the best of us all. Janine wouldn't let Zoey change the name and asked her how she would feel if we decided to change her name.  Heather then told Zoey she was going to call her "Bubbles" (another Powder Puff character apparently) from now on, and Zoey didn't like that.  So, the pony stays Sunshine but may also be called Sunny.

I've been talking to your dad all weekend about the ranch.  We'll probably end up taking a loss for this year, and honestly it will likely impact next year too, since we've done almost no breeding and we are a breeding operation.  We can afford a loss for a year or two, but he is worried that if we have to eventually sell, we're not going to get a good price.  But I'm assuming that we won't be selling.  None of this is to put pressure on you, sweetheart, but I do want to put a bug in your ear.  I don't think you want to get 2 or 3 years' down the road and find that you have to rebuild from where we'll be by then if things keep going as they are.  (I just re-read that, and the construction is awful, but I don't know how to fix it.  I think you'll know what I mean.)

Your dad wants to see what breeding we can manage to do over the next month or so.  He talked to Eric, and the two of them can take some time to conduct the live covers, but only on a part time basis.  He's going to ask Stanley if he'd mind helping out a bit (also part time, and we'll pay him of course), and we can ask Rich Sharpe if he can come, or if we can do a short-term contract to borrow a stable hand or two. 

Your dad thinks we should concentrate on Agamemnon and Nero, but I checked the records and Nero has been hit or miss the last 3 - 4 years.  I'm thinking it would be better to go with Ganymede, but wanted to run that by you.  Then we'll just see which of our mares come into estrus, and who is receptive to who.  Not very scientific, but we're trying to salvage something from this season without resorting to pasture breeding.  I'm sure you're rolling your eyes right now.  Your dad certainly did, before reminding me in great detail why that is not an option on the Green Ranch.  EJ, Ephraim, Jacob, and Cormac would all be rolling over in their graves, he assures me.  (Though really, what are the odds that Cormac was following modern equine breeding methods around the time of the Civil War?)  But pasture breeding is about the only thing Tony said he would be comfortable being in charge of, so I had to bring it up. 

Sorry to throw all of this at you at once, sweetheart.  I know you are very busy with work.  But I also don't want to hand over a complete disaster to you later.  And, I'm trying to talk your father into Europe, hopefully next spring for our 40th anniversary, so keep that in mind.

Love,

Mom


 


 From: Agent JJ Green (DEA) [SECURE EMAIL]

Sent: Tue May 30 17:21 (UTC+3)

To: SAIC G Tolliver (DEA)

Subject: Sit Rep 5/30

Attachments:


 

Gretchen

Had another off books assignment today.  I forced Ellison to give me paperwork but what I got was basically nothing.

3 C-130s on the tarmac at BIAP.  Truck was already loaded when I arrived at 14:17. Usually I have to drive my own truck over or at least the rig but they sent me as a passenger with someone else this time.  6 other trucks onsite.  Crews + drivers continuing to load. 

Sent to the US Army warehouse complex, west side, arrived at 14:37.  Ellison met me there - very casual.  "Take a break Green.  These guys have got this."  3 PFCs, 2 SPCs, 1 SGT.  (When did Ravenwood start giving orders to the Army?)  Didn't get close enough to get any names.  Supposedly a security clearance issue.

Walked off the loading dock and called Heather.  Couldn't see much but the truck was unloaded in 12 minutes so not a full load. 

Ellison is the key.  He was there the last 2 times I got one of these assignments.  He asked me who I called and I made my pitch.  Grateful for the job and money but don't want to be stuck in Iraq forever.  Concerned that my wife won't put up with me being gone much longer.  Offered to do anything he needed me to do.  We'll see if he bites.

 

Jake


 


 From: Agent JJ Green (DEA) [SECURE EMAIL]

Sent: Tue May 30 17:29 (UTC+3)

To: SAIC G Tolliver (DEA)

Subject: Vacation Request

Attachments: JJGreen_Vacation_Req.doc; JJGreen_Resignation.doc


 

Gretchen

Please approve the attached vacation request.  If you believe the timing is inconvenient then please accept this as my letter of resignation.

I can make this work for the operation.  Jake Green goes home for a death in the family (grandfather).  Misses 2 – 3 weeks of work and has to swing the airfare on short/no notice. This ups his financial difficulties.  The loss of the grandfather's social security and possibly other retirement income also ups the financial trouble.  Throw in some back taxes or a mortgage being called in.  Up the ante.  If Ravenwood/Ellison really are monitoring that might be enough to turn Jake Green into a shiny enough target.  I need to do some more work on this but you get the idea.

I need to spend some time with Heather.  Our anniversary is in 6 weeks and we always do something.  I don't want to quit on you or this case but for me staying married is more important.

Jake


 


From: SAIC G Tolliver (DEA) [SECURE EMAIL]

Sent: Tue May 30 08:36 (UTC-6)

To: Agent JJ Green (DEA)

Subject: RE: Vacation Request

Attachments:


 

Jake,

I find it curious that the first time you bother to fill out your own vacation request form, it's so you can issue an ultimatum.  Well, perhaps I don't find that curious.  Rather dramatic, but I understand where you're coming from.

Let's make this work.  Maybe a combination of increased financial woes and marital problems might crack this nut.  Offing your grandfather again is interesting.  I liked him, though I only ever met him the one time at your wedding. 

Call me at your earliest convenience.  We'll brainstorm.

Gretchen


 


From: Agent JJ Green (DEA) [SECURE EMAIL]

Sent: Tue May 30 17:44 (UTC+3)

To: Heather Green (home)

Subject: In Person Time

Attachments:


 Heather -

No worries about what you told Jake Green on that other email account.  It helps the cover story if Ravenwood is scanning that email. 

I put in a vacation request today for July 6 – 24.  The 6th and 23rd - 24th are travel days for me.  You may not need them we'll have to see. 

I promised we'd see each other before 6 months - this will be 5.  Sorry I couldn't do better/sooner.

More to come.  And more to come from Jake Green's email later tonight. Some things may sound weird but I have to put some stuff in for work.  Ignore anything that doesn't make sense or makes you want to kill me.  But now I have to go deal with Gretchen.

Love you

Agent Green


 


From: Agent JJ Green (DEA) [SECURE EMAIL]

Sent: Tue May 30 17:52 (UTC+3)

To: SAIC G Tolliver (DEA)

Subject: RE: Vacation Request

Attachments:


 Gretchen

I still had to ask your assistant for the form.  Didn't seem fair to stick Mellie with the rest.

I'm not going to risk making another secure call so soon.  One of my roommates noticed that I disappeared yesterday morning.  If I do it again 48 hours later he might say something and more people could notice.  I don't need that kind of scrutiny.

Maybe Aunt Gretchen needs to talk to me about something?

I'll call from the truck yard on my cell at 3:30 (18:30 for you).  Hope you don't have dinner plans.

Financial problems are fine but Heather is already apologizing for saying things in emails that she thinks will cause me trouble.  Nothing to worry about - probably helps in the end.  But I'm not going to ask her to play along on fake problems to help me with my cover.  That could turn fake problems into real ones. The only marital problem I'm willing to have is the real one that my wife doesn't like that I'm 7K miles away.

My mother sent me an email full of ranch management problems so I can incorporate some of that to rachet up Jake Green's susceptibility.

I resurrected Gramps back in Afghanistan.  Figured it was a good idea to have a convenient family emergency in my back pocket in case I needed to get out.  Wasn't exactly for this, but it's for Heather so at least he'd approve.

Jake


 


 From: Gretchen Jones 'Aunt Gretchen'

Sent: Tue May 30 09:07 (UTC-6)

To: Jake Green (personal)

Subject: Your mother's birthday

Attachments:


Dear Jake,

How are you doing?  I was talking to your mother yesterday and she said that you are still going to be overseas for her birthday.  That is such a shame! 

Pastor Browning wants to honor her during the church service that week, and then have a special coffee hour afterwards – punch and cake.  Pastor Browning asked me to ask you if you had any candid pictures they could use in a slide show.  I think that is what it is still called even though they are going to do it on the computer!

Do you think you could call me sometime this week?  Pastor Browning says you can just email pictures to the church secretary, but I don't know anything about how to do that.

You're such a good boy. 

Thank you,

Auntie Gretchen


 


 From: Jake Green (personal)

Sent: Tue May 30 19:23 (UTC+3)

To: Gretchen Jones 'Aunt Gretchen'

Subject: RE: Your mother's birthday

Attachments:


Dear Auntie Gretchen

You know not even Mom calls me a "good boy" anymore. 

Also I'm more worried about Heather's birthday which is next week than I am Mom's.  First things first.

I know how to send pictures to the church secretary and I will see if I can find some.  I just need you to give me the email address ok? 

I'm fine.  I can drive a truck for 6 months or a year if it means I can keep the ranch.  It's hot here all the time and I miss home.  I miss your fried chicken and potato salad.  You'll have to make that for me when I get home ok?

I can call you before I go to work in the morning.  Don't worry that's still this evening for you. 

 

Jake


 


From: Jake Green (personal)

Sent: Tue May 30 19:58 (UTC+3)

To: Heather Green (home)

Subject: Really Babe?

Attachments: heather_baron_2.jpg


Hey Babe –

Care to explain?  Mom sent the pictures from Sunday and I see you are back to kissing Baron.  I know what you would say - "Not on the lips I only kiss you on the lips".  That is not as compelling of an argument as you think it is.  Just so you know I'm switching my pillow for yours as soon as I'm home. 

Mom says that you are a grilled cheese gourmand and that Dad wants her to buy a panini maker.  She said your grilled cheese "was delicious" and that you are a good cook.  Sounds like she had a nice time making meatloaf with you.  She said nothing about nutritional deficiencies or kidnapping me.

Also re: meatloaf.  I noticed you didn't mention what you had with it so I assume it was mashed potatoes.  Mom always makes mashed potatoes with meatloaf.  On the list.

Mom reminded me about our Labor Day camping trip last year.  That was great weekend even though/even better because we snuck home a day early and didn't tell anyone.  I don't know that I want to go camping first thing when I finally get home but maybe we don't tell anyone for a few days when I do come home.

I don't know how much my mom has told you about what's going on with the ranch but it's not good.  She says she dropped the ball but I think I'm the one who dropped the ball.  I need to get home to straighten things out but we need the money I'm making here to keep the ranch. 

I hate that you're lonely Heather.  I hate that it's my fault you're lonely.  I wish I could offer my distracting services like the old days.  I want to be home with you.  I want to walk you out in the morning so I can help carry stuff and you don't lose your keys getting into the car.  Don't give up on me babe.

We can have a kid just as soon as this is all worked out.  I promise.  It's just that when we have a kid I want to be around.  For everything – the fun stuff, the boring stuff, the gross stuff.  But why have a kid if you can't be there for them right?

Love you

Jake


 


 From: Jake Green (personal)

Sent: Tue May 30 20:42 (UTC+3)

To: Gail Green

Subject: Ranch Stuff

Attachments:


 Mom -

Thanks for the pictures from Sunday.  Loved the ones of Heather and Baron and Heather on Callisto.  She's a natural rider but she never believes me when I say that.  It would be great if you could go riding with her and April.

That's funny about April whupping Dad and Eric.  Do they not know that when they golf on Saturdays she's usually out at the ranch training with Arabella?

Definitely use Ganymede instead of Nero.  He's a grumpy old man horse and he tried to bite the 3 or 4 mares that showed the slightest interest in him last year.  That changed their minds.    We couldn't sell him now and Gramps always says that we keep the horses that have been good for us even when they are past their prime. He had a good 20-year career as a stud so we owe him. He's earned his retirement.  We're a breeding operation but also a horse retirement home apparently.

You know that Nero is Ganymede's sire.  We had 5 mares in foal by Nero that spring and Gramps had already given Heather the job of naming the foals.  So for Nero's offspring she picked Jupiter and the 4 main moons.  That's how Ganymede and Callisto both got their names.  We sold Io and Europa as 2 year olds.  Like I said Nero had a good career.  Those were just the foals he sired that year that were born on ranch.  Could have been 10 more born off ranch.  But that was his last good year.

Another thing Gramps says is that we're only as good as our word right?  So we need to honor the live foal guarantee especially for the Sharpes.  What do we have besides our good name?  I know you think I wasn't listening to you guys half/all the time I was growing up but it turns out I was at least some of the time.

Kevin and Janine should get the family discount and you're right it doesn't hurt to have a pony on the ranch.  Kerry told me I'm responsible for teaching Megan (and Joey I guess) how to ride and I think she would have your reaction to me putting her kids on a regular sized horse.  I know that would be Heather's reaction too.  Just not sure we should be considering breeding ponies when we're trying to keep the rest of our business going.

Don't know if Dad will go for it but we should give Tony a raise.  His job is to take care of the day to day with the horses and to assist with breeding but not run it. We'll be in a world of hurt if he leaves.  I thought I would be home by now to supervise/assist with late season breeding.  

Thanks for the heads up on everything else.  Sorry I have left you in such a lurch this year.  But we're not going to be selling the ranch if I have anything to say about it.

 

Love Jake


 


 From: Heather Green (home)

Sent: Tue May 30 19:07 (UTC-5)

To: Jake Green (personal)

Subject: Jake & Heather sittin' in a tree ...

Attachments: DD_Kiss.jpg; Engagement_Party_Kiss.jpg; Rehearsal_Kiss.jpg; Rehearsal_Dinner_Kiss.jpg; Wedding_1_Kiss.jpg; Wedding_2_Kiss.jpg; Reception_1_Kiss.jpg; Reception_2_Kiss.jpg; Reception_3_Kiss.jpg; Xmas_Party_1_Kiss.jpg; Xmas_Party_2_Kiss.jpg; Random_1_Kiss.jpg; Random_2_Kiss.jpg


 Hi Jake,

So, your accusations regarding who/what I am kissing these days gave me the perfect excuse to do a little project.  I went through every photo I have on my hard drive looking for pictures of us kissing. 

I was sort of disappointed to find out that I don't have any from our honeymoon or other vacations, but then I realized that random strangers (aside from the Doolittles, who are technically not strangers) don't take pictures of us making out and then send them to me.  (After all, how would they know how to reach me?)  Actually, I hope random strangers are just not photographing us when we kiss because that would be weird.

Also, since April doesn't like to encourage us, my best source of these pictures turns out to be your mom.  It helps that she suggested that we hire our wedding photographer for both Friday and Saturday.  I did not include ones where you kiss me on the cheek or vice versa, there are a lot more like that. 

I'm never going to send you naked pictures, hon.  But I encourage you to enjoy the heck out of this fine selection, OK? ;-)

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, when we got back to the barn on Sunday, I gave Callie a kiss on the nose because she kept me from embarrassing myself on the ride.  So, I name everything, and I kiss living creatures for whom I have great affection on their heads, but I only kiss you on the lips (because I blatantly, blatantly love you).  That's basically my personal mission statement for life. :-D  

Also, also, in the interest of even fuller disclosure, we didn't actually successfully sneak back a day early from our camping trip.  Tony obviously knew we came home, and so did April (she went riding that Monday morning and she knows what Agamemnon and Callisto look like).  She just chose to keep it to herself, but she could blackmail me with it if she ever needed to (she told me that).  I mean, it's one missed family dinner with your parents when they weren't expecting us, but still.  Though really, I think April just enjoys getting to roll her eyes at me whenever she wants.

But when you can come home – I won't tell if you won't tell.  I'll even call in sick to work for a couple of days if I need to. ;-)

Nice to know that your parents enjoyed the grilled cheese.  They both complimented me on it again last night, so I have been feeling super accomplished today.  And, we did have mashed potatoes with our meatloaf, I just didn't want to torture you with the full menu. We also had asparagus (better as a side than an ingredient in the meatloaf IMHO) but I figure you won't be jealous of that.

I am lonely sometimes, but that's not your fault.  Yes, it's because I miss you but I'm supposed to miss you, right?  Would you rather I didn't?  I wouldn't.  I just need to find things to do, like compiling special albums of kissing pictures.  Actually, I think I am going to take on some organizational projects around here as soon as school is out.  I enjoy a good organizational project, and that'll also make riding dates with April and your mom something to look forward to, a change of pace if nothing else.

(And if it ends up that you don't know where anything is because I rearranged it all while you were gone, well, I apologize in advance.)

I'm glad that you're in for the gross and boring stuff (not just the fun) when it comes to having kids. And I understand and completely support that you want to be here for our kids.  You're right, why have kids if we're not planning to be around to love and enjoy them?  But also, deciding to have kids and then actually having kids isn't instantaneous, that's why I wanted us to talk.  Well, one of the reasons.  I have lots of reasons we should talk, but that's because I'm me.

It's not like I think that having a child sometime later is going to help me not be lonely now.  But I kind of need another goal out there. Something to look forward to, anyway.  Master's – Check.  Teaching – I think I'm firing on all cylinders now (she says modestly).  I even think I'm fairly good at being married (please do not contradict – let me live in my delusion). 

OK, I'm going to stop now, just know that I heard (well, read) and appreciate what you had to say on the subject.  And, I'm never giving up on you.

One more thing – Losing my keys getting into the car this morning was a total dork move, and the fact that you were an ear witness to that is EMBARRASSING.  So, let's hope I don't make a habit of it.  But still, I fully endorse your offer to walk me to my car every morning, even if you do just turn around and go back to bed afterward.  (Though when you are being the great dad I know you will be, and driving our kids to school later so they can sleep in, you should probably NOT go back to sleep.)

Wow, I didn't even get to the elementary school gossip tonight.  I know you're going to be on pins and needles until I have time to bring you up to date.

Enjoy your lucky 13 (yes, I counted) kissing pictures.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Plus: XOXOXO

Love you!!

Heather


 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Wednesday May 31, 3:34 am (Baghdad Iraq) / Tuesday May 30, 6:34 pm (Denver CO)

4 months before the bombs

 

"Mornin' Auntie Gretchen," Jake greeted as his boss came on the line. 

"Good evening, Jake," she corrected with a dry chuckle.  "How're you doing, sweetie?"

"I've force switched my phone onto the military network," he informed her, "And I'm standing outside with nobody around, so let's not go overboard."

"You started it," she reprimanded mildly, "I was simply following your lead."

"Yeah, well, tech team loaded me up with all the best apps and stuff," Jake reminded.  "Long as none of the Army personnel Ravenwood's recruited work in telecom, should be good.  And this thing involves some Army personnel, no matter what Colonel Browning wants to think," he declared.  "Anyway, we should be good to talk.  And if I turn up dead after this call, then I screwed up, and you know what happened."

"Tech team did their job," she argued.  "I can't see where you're calling from."

"Right," he acknowledged.  "And, you do realize that when I log onto the DEA VPN from the Ravenwood network, they've got it set up so Ravenwood thinks I'm looking at porn."

"Well, I didn't not know that."

"At least my internet traffic looks like every other guy's here," Jake decided.  "Most of 'em anyway."

"See, the tech guys know what they're doing," she offered.  "Hiding in plain sight coupled with a little misdirection." 

"Probably get off on looking at porn at work – for work – too," he snorted.

"I'm not acknowledging that statement," Gretchen told him, making a tsking sound. "And Jake," she continued, sighing softly, "You're not gonna turn up dead because I forbid it." 

"Thanks," he muttered.

"But I do need to know that your head's in Iraq, Jake.  Especially given your email.  So, where's your head?"

"Right here.  Attached to my neck," he added churlishly.  "Above my shoulders.  Stuck in Iraq with the rest of me."

"That answer does not give me the warm fuzzies," she informed him.  "Do I need to pull you?"

"It wasn't a cry for help, Gretchen.  All you need to do is approve my vacation request," Jake countered.  "I'm here, my head's here.  Like ninety-eight percent, but I told you…." He exhaled through his teeth, betraying his irritation.  "I told you, I'm not cut out for this type of assignment anymore.  Doesn't mean I'm not gonna finish it, but …."  He trailed off, and there was a long pause before he demanded, "Just approve the request, okay?"

"Already approved," Gretchen said quietly, her voice carefully modulated to soothe.  "And, I've got three analysts tryin' to rachet up your alter ego's financial woes," she explained, with her next breath, her tone suddenly all business.  "They know to stay away from your marriage – marital issues – but I told them they can make fake Heather a spendthrift if they need to, okay?  Run up the credit card bills.  That shows up on every credit report pulled, and we at least know for sure that Ravenwood – Jennings & Rall – routinely pull their employees' credit reports, not just in the pre-employment stage."

"Long as real Heather never finds out, sure," Jake agreed begrudgingly.  "And, I get to use one of those fake credit cards to send her flowers someday, just for the hell of it – not for her birthday, just because – that or I'm gonna straight up expense them," he threatened calmly.  "We'll call it defending my not fake wife's honor."

"Fair enough," Gretchen agreed.  "Do you feel better now?"

Jake ignored her.  "I want final approval, slash, right of refusal on whatever the analysts come up with," he said.  "I have to pretend to live it, and it's my ass on the line."

"Of course," she murmured.  "I'm not taking any operational control away from you, Jake.  Just trying to take some work off you – the boring work.  You've still gotta do two jobs, you're still the one on the ground running the op.  The analysts are simply doing the research and filling in the details.  Everything they come up with is a proposal until you sign off.  Then once you sign off – if you sign off – they'll go to work to ensure we have the paper trail to back it up – back you up – okay?"

"Yeah," he acknowledged reluctantly.  "That's good.  Thanks."

"Of course," Gretchen repeated.  "And if this goes past September—"

"This goes past September, I'm out," Jake interjected.  "This goes past September, it's time to admit that I'm not the guy for this one."

"How about: if this lasts into September, you can send Heather flowers on me again, and if it lasts into October you can bail," she negotiated.  "Plus, Mellie can do all the paperwork for you.  The administrative stuff, anyway.  I still need regular field reports from you."

"She already does," he snorted.  "Which you know.  Except for this one vacation request.  But okay.  Anything else?"

"Can you forward the email from your mom about the ranch issues to your cousin Mellie?" Gretchen requested.  "I mean, I know you can, but are you willing?  Just to help focus the analysts.  They're young and wonky," she admitted, "And not necessarily up on all things ranching."

"Sure, I can do that," he conceded.  "My mom could too, FYI.  She's tech savvy like that.  Attached a bunch of pictures to the very email in question.  But I'm not forwarding those, just so you know.  So," Jake continued a moment later, "Anything I need to do in regards to Colonel – 'scuse me, Pastor – Browning?"

"Not for now.  I keep him up to date, and if you're minimizing your secure calls, I sure don't need you briefing him.  Just don't get yourself killed," she advised.  "He seems like he'd be touchy about that.  Pentagon wouldn't like it, that's for sure.  And, I'd never forgive you."

"Kinda against it myself.  And, Heather really would never forgive me.  She still seems to think I'm worth keepin' around," he muttered, "And she's the sole beneficiary to my life insurance, so that's sayin' something."

"That says a lot," Gretchen confirmed.  "That says true love.  And there are plenty of other people who also care whether or not you're around.  Your parents, family, the friends you pretend you don't have.  I care.  I think even Mellie would miss you," she joked.

"Right.  So, I'll keep my head in the game and not get myself killed.  Good?"

"Good," Gretchen declared.  "Are you ready for Heather's birthday?  Are you ready to not be home for her birthday?" Gretchen emphasized.

"Yep," he replied, his tone clipped.  "She's not happy about it, but I have a plan," he confirmed a moment later.  "Roses and jewelry will be delivered, I'm gonna call and Skype.  Not so worried about her birthday," he sighed.  "Little worried 'cause I'm gonna hafta involve her in killing off Gramps again, which…."  Jake trailed off again, unwilling to share that particular thought.

"You don't have involve her if you'd rather keep her out of it.  We can sub Mellie in for phone calls," she proposed.  "And, I can write the necessary emails.  Tech will make it look like it's her phone, her email."

"I'm not authorizing you, or Mellie – or anyone – hacking or impersonating my wife.  Sorry."  Jake emitted a grim chuckle.  "And, no way you can write an email that looks like it came from Heather," he told her, his tone turning derisive.  "Trust me on that.  Plus, she emails me every day.  We talk.  I'm not giving that up, and it would look weird – suspicious – if real and fake Heather were both in communication at the same time.  So, don't worry about it.  I'll take care of it."

"Okay then.  You have operational control," Gretchen reminded.  "And, hey, once you're back, bring Heather to Denver and your weekend's on me, whatever she wants to do.  I won't even invite myself to dinner, okay?  The least I can do."

"Well, I agree with you on that." Jake's bark of laughter was humorless but not harsh.  "And, no need to wait.  Feel free to pick up our vacation."

"Sorry, but my discretionary budget is no match for your trust fund," she informed him dryly.  "But I think we have a solid plan for turning you into that shiny object.  You're doin' good work, Jake."

"Thanks," he acknowledged, clearing his throat.  "And, uh, just so you know, I'm gonna wait 'til after her birthday to start the Gramps thing," he warned, turning at the corner of the tight, imaginary box he had been pacing in time to see Freddie Ruiz, Mike Something-or-other, and a pair of new drivers he hadn't yet been introduced to exit the dispatch office.  "People are startin' to show up for work, Auntie Gretch," he announced loudly, "Gotta go."

She groaned softly, admonishing, "Don't ever call me 'Gretch' again.  And Jake, keep your head in the game.  Take care of yourself.  And – whatever else – don't end up dead."

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 


From: Heather Green (home)

Sent: Tue May 30 19:42 (UTC-5)

To: Agent JJ Green (DEA)

Subject: RE: In Person Time

Attachments:


 Agent Green,

I'm suddenly enjoying the fact that you have 2 identities, one of which sounds so clandestine, Agent Green.  Writing to you at this email address is the closest I will ever get to having an affair.  (Though, for the record, I have no actual interest in having an affair.)

Thank you for the information about our trip.  I will make sure that April and your mom know that I have blackout dates for April Green's Riding Academy.  (Highly related to Jake Green's Horse Camp if you ever want to resurrect that.) 

I look forward to finding out where we are going (hint, hint). But I know how you are, Agent Green, always trying to surprise me, always telling me to be patient.

Also, I'm going to ask your mom if she minds keeping Baron while I'm gone.  I have heard a bit about what's going on with the ranch, and I don't want to give Tony one more thing to worry about.  Besides, Baron loves to be spoiled by Grandma, so I may just come back to find him turned into a town dog.  Plus, she can bring him out to the ranch with her when she's out to work or ride with April.  Seems like the best solution.

What else should I know about what's going on with the ranch?  Is there anything I can do?  As you recently reminded me, this is where I live, so I want to help if I can.  It's our "kingdom" after all.

OK, I need to go make sure I am ready for tomorrow's LAST MATH POP QUIZ OF THE YEAR.  (I may be slightly out of control.)

 

I love you!

Heather


 


From: Agent JJ Green (DEA) [SECURE EMAIL]

Sent: Wed May 31 18:54 (UTC+3)

To: Heather Green (home)

Subject: RE: In Person Time

Attachments:


 Heather -

As much as I am enjoying our little email thing here (also the closest I will ever get to having an affair) I think I need to remind you that all email sent from and received by this account is backed up on a server owned by the federal government. 

Also if/when I make an arrest/arrests this case will become the responsibility of a federal attorney whose first order of business will be to request a dump of my account for the period of time I have been undercover.  It's procedure.

So there's a good chance your emails to me will end up being the highlight of the day for some junior associate at whatever law firm is defending Ravenwood and has to comb through all the discovery the government dumps on them.  I don't feel sorry for that person but I want you to know there probably is such a person.

Some things need to come through this account.  But nothing is 100% private on either account.  Sorry.

More info on our trip soon.  Be patient!  Good idea to get the blackout dates to Mom and April.  Also makes sense to have Mom babysit Baron.

I thought I was supposed to resurrect Jake Green's Horse Camp whenever a grandchild of Joe Lisinski sets foot in Kansas?  I guess its not actually in our pre-nup (you missed the boat on that one Babe) but I think I'm still on the hook – with Kerry if not with you.  And I'm fine with being on the hook with you. 

All you need to know about the ranch is that my dad and Eric are going to be around more taking on some equine breeding.  And we'll probably have an operating loss this year.  The ranch isn't going anywhere.  Once I get home maybe we put a barn up on the homestead property just in case.  That would really get Johnston hot under the collar.

Love you

Agent Green


 


 From: Jake Green (personal)

Sent: Wed May 31 19:03 (UTC+3)

To: Melanie Jones 'Mellie'

Subject: Ranch Assistance (was FW: Horseback pictures)

Attachments:


 

Hi Mellie -

Your mom asked me to forward this email from my mom.  Why the 2 of them can't just talk like normal people is a mystery.  My mom is embarrassed about the state of the ranch but that's really all on me.  Anyway I was thinking that Alan or the triplets might be able to help out too.  So pass this along to them for background and ask if they are willing ok?

Your mom also asked me for some pictures of my mom for the thing at church.  You know how to get them to the secretary right?  If you don't have any pictures you can always ask Heather.  She should have some to share.

Thanks Cuz

Jake

 

[FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS]

 


From: Gail Green

Sent: Tue May 30 09:04 (UTC-5)

To: Jake Green (personal)

Subject: Horseback pictures


 

Hi Honey,

Heather asked me to send these to you.  Pictures from our ride on Sunday.  We had a lovely time, but we missed you.

. . .


 


From: Jake Green (personal)

Sent: Wed May 31 19:06 (UTC+3)

To: Melanie Jones 'Mellie'

Subject: FW: Ranch Stuff

Attachments:


 

Hi Mellie -

And just so you have it, this is what I sent back to my mom. 

I really did plan to handle the breeding season myself this year, just a couple of months late.  But that's not going to happen now.  Also my dad is never going to give Tony a raise on my say so but maybe if you (favorite niece) and my mom can work on him together?  Anything you can do.  You are definitely my favorite cousin.

Jake

 

[FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS]


 

From: Jake Green (personal)

Sent: Tue May 30 20:42 (UTC+3)

To: Gail Green

Subject: Ranch Stuff


 

Mom -

Thanks for the pictures from Sunday.  Loved the ones of Heather and Baron and Heather on Callisto. 

. . .


 


From: Jake Green (personal)

Sent: Wed May 31 19:46 (UTC+3)

To: Heather Green (home)

Subject: RE: Jake & Heather sittin' in a tree ...

Attachments:


 Hey Babe -

 

>> I'm never going to send you naked pictures, hon.  But I

>> encourage you to enjoy the heck out of this fine selection,

>> OK? ;-)

 

I'm good with your no naked pictures rule.  Some things are just between you and me and don't belong on the internet.  And I did / am / will enjoy this fine selection of pictures.  My new background slideshow.  Great choice of organizational project Babe.

You just go ahead and keep naming things and kissing animals on the head. But I am still switching pillows.  And when I get home you should definitely call in sick.  For a month.

Heather you may not be perfect (and I'm not sure I agree with that) but you're perfect for me.  Somebody (you) told me I could say that any time I wanted to so I'm saying it now.  You are great at being married – way better than me.  And when you make a dork move I just love you more.  Somebody (my mom) told me that I should make sure to tell you I loved you.  That it's good to know but better to say it – something like that.

I love you Heather.  I love love love love love you. 

I'm hot and tired and was in a pretty bad mood and then I saw your email.  Mood's better at least.  So I'm going to watch my computer background change for the next hour or so and then I'm guaranteed to get a good night's sleep. 

Love you

Jake


 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

To be continued in Different Circumstances Interludes: Long Distance Relationship, Part 2.

I really am continuing to write this story, and I have a pretty good outline to get me through the rest of season one and beyond.  But again, I don't know how fast that will be or if there is still any interest in this story.  If there is, and you want me to know that, the best way to do so (unless you are a registered user of this site and want to leave a review) is to email me directly at: marzeedoats @ gmail dot com (please format as an email address – I am trying to avoid getting additional junk mail).  I promise I will only use this information as encouragement to write, and potentially to send you pdf copies of later chapters, if and when the site closes (would be late May 2023 at the earliest).  Contacting me directly is the best way to let me know if there is still interest in this story, and you want to know (eventually) how it ends. 

 

Decoration Day is a practice is some parts of the United States and Liberia that involves individual families or churches performing maintenance and sometimes a religious service at a cemetery.  Decoration Day isn't always associated with Memorial Day, but for the Different Circumstances version of the Green family, they observe Decoration Day on the Sunday before Memorial Day.  In the Different Circumstances universe there is a private family cemetery on the Green Ranch.  Re-watching the pilot recently, I realized this is not supported by canon.  Although I (mis)remembered that Gail and Jake went to visit EJ's grave in a small, rural, private cemetery, that wasn't actually the case.  It was small and rural, but appeared to be public.  So, this is another small departure from canon – but if you're still here with me after all my other departures from canon, I think you will forgive me and may even think that the Greens' private family cemetery (established when Kansas was still a territory and a hotbed for political intrigue but not much actual governance) is a nice and fitting idea.

The 'It Ain't Easy Being Green' club is first mentioned in Different Circumstances, Part 2.  Jake claims it exists while Heather maintains it does not.  Gail also seems to be aware of the possibility of the club, mentioning it to Jake in Part 3B.  In Part 12A, we learn that the club actually does exist – and that it was invented by April.  She calls it a "super secret club" and says that she and Heather are founding members.  April then references the club again in Part 15B because sometimes the Jake and Eric sibling rivalry is a little too much for their significant others.  So the history of the club continues to grow….

The movie that Jake references that Heather has never seen (because it's not her kind of movie) is Fight Club.  ("The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.")  Fight Club is a 1999 American film directed by David Fincher and starring Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, and Helena Bonham Carter. It is based on the 1996 novel of the same name by Chuck Palahniuk.

Pebbles Flintstone is a cartoon character, a baby with a distinctive pigtail hairdo sticking straight up from the top of her head and tied off with a bone barrette.  The Flintstones is an American animated sitcom produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions.

I do not breed horses for a living (or as a hobby), so I have tried to have Gail and Jake write realistically about the business, but any awful/blatant mistakes are mine, not theirs.  I hope you will forgive me.  I don't know if there was a shortage of ponies available in Kansas in 2007, and I admit that it is more likely that there wasn't.  Still, it let me give Gail another thing to suggest to Jake as a potential line of business for the Green Ranch.

The Princess Bride is a 1987 American fantasy comedy romance film directed and co-produced by Rob Reiner, starring Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Wallace Shawn, André the Giant, and Christopher Guest. Adapted by William Goldman from his 1973 novel of the same name, it tells the story of a farmhand named Westley, accompanied by companions befriended along the way, who must rescue his true love Princess Buttercup from the odious Prince Humperdinck.

Gail mistakenly referred to the Powerpuff Girls as the Powder Puff Girls.  I thought this was just the sort of mistake that Gail might make in overhearing a conversation about the show between Zoey, Janine, and Heather.  The Powerpuff Girls is an American superhero animated television series created by animator Craig McCracken and produced by Hanna-Barbera (later Cartoon Network Studios) for Cartoon Network. The show centers on Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup, three kindergarten-aged girls with superpowers. The girls all live in the fictional city of Townsville with their father and creator, a scientist named Professor Utonium, and are frequently called upon by the city's mayor to help fight nearby criminals and other enemies using their powers.  Zoey is probably too young to actually know the Powerpuff Girls, but maybe she saw some re-runs.

I am also not an undercover federal agent, so I tried my best.  Hopefully what I've come up with for Jake's work life is not so jarring as to take away from the thread of this story.