- Text Size +

Jericho, 7 weeks after the war with New Bern

Jake stopped by Hawkin's house to tell Darcy that she had been successful in throwing the Army off track when they searched her house the day before. He also passed on the latest news from Town Hall -- the Army was leaving Jericho. Colonel Hoffman had received orders to secure the roads between Jericho and Topeka. Before leaving the Hawkins' residence, Jake told Darcy that he would go to the hideout and bring Hawkins home after the Army pulled out.

The next day, Darcy sat looking out the living room window. She couldn't wait for Rob to get home. They had lost so much time the last few years. She was so glad that Rob had finally opened up to her about where he had been and what he was doing. She really liked how they had worked together during the battle with New Bern. They had figured out that the package in Rob's possession was the smoking gun that could reveal who was behind the biggest crime in the history of the world. She had been the one who reminded Rob that bombs had fingerprints that made them traceable. He had said it was the uranium that had a specific signature that places the origin of the device.

‘We make a good team,' she thought.

Darcy saw Rob and Jake walking down the street. What her family needed most right now was some quality time together. She decided that she would surprise Alison and Sam with their father's arrival.

When Rob came into the house, Darcy walked into his arms. It was a great feeling!

"Dee, I've missed you," Rob said as he and Darcy pulled apart.

"I've missed you too," Darcy replied.

"Our cover story must have worked."

"Yeah, good thing we went over our story before Jake took you to the hideout. They bought the part about how Sarah was your partner in the St. Louis Police Department and that we took her in when she came to Jericho with the refugees. They even seemed to accept the part about Sarah leaving to find her sister in Montana. I wasn't sure they believed me when I told them that after Sarah left you confessed to the affair and that it caused the break-up of our marriage. I let them know that Jimmy could corroborate that we were having marriage difficulties and that he took me and the kids in when I left you. I then showed them the note you prepared about leaving me and heading to Montana to find Sarah so that you could try and salvage your relationship. You know, I've had so much practice covering for you it's almost become second nature."

"Well, you did a great job. I can't tell you how happy I am to be home."

"You know, Alison and Sam have been worried sick about you. You should be proud of Alison. I've been complimented on what a great job she's doing at the Town Hall. She's actually on guard duty now. Sam has been Sam, always asking when you're coming home. I think he's worried you're going to leave us again. He's upstairs asleep right now."

"Dee, you need to know our family's survival is my top priority. I will do everything in my power not to leave you again, but in order to do that, I'm going to have to find out who's behind the bombs."

Darcy hesitated; then, she nodded her head "I'm beginning to understand why you do what you do. You play a very important role in not only protecting us but in protecting this country. I never gave you credit for that, and I'm sorry."

"You know something, Dee? None of this means anything without you and the kids. Let's go see Sam."

Darcy and Rob walked up the stairs and into Sam's room. Sam was sleeping peacefully. Rob walked over and sat on the bed and gently shook him. "Sam, Sam." He said quietly as not to startle him as he woke up.

"Dad, is that you?" Sam asked sleepily as he rubbed his eyes.

"It's me." At Rob's words, Sam leapt into his arms.

"Dad, I'm so glad you're home I missed you so much. Can we go play football?" Sam asked excitedly.

Hawkins chuckled and replied, "I'm happy to see you too, Sam. We'll have plenty of time for football now. Don't worry!"

Sam got out of bed and the three of them headed downstairs just as Alison was walking in the door.

"Mom, guess what?!" Alison looked up and saw her father walking toward her as she finished her question.

"Dad, you're home! I missed you so much," she said as her father wrapped her up in a big hug. She was glad she would be able to share her news with him. "Guess what? Jimmy asked me to start training for the border patrol next week! Can I, Dad?"

"Your mother and I will have to talk about it. Hey, I heard about the good job you've been doing. Congratulations, I'm proud of you."

Darcy interrupted their conversation. "Come on, let's go get dinner ready. I'm looking forward to all of us to finally sitting down together as a family."

Meanwhile at Bailey's, Jake was thinking about what Hawkins had told him a couple of weeks ago.

‘Is it possible that this man, Valente, is working for the government?' Jake wondered, having a hard time grasping the possible ramifications. ‘It would mean.....'

At that moment Jake's thoughts were interrupted by a loud voice....

"So, are you going to be my best man or what?" Stanley, seeing the far away look on Jake's face, thought this would be just the question to capture his attention.

"Your best what?" It wasn't until Jake asked his question that he realized what Stanley was talking about.

"I take it you finally got up enough nerve to ask Mimi." Jake chuckled at this because he knew of at least three different occasions where Stanley had tried to ask for Mimi's hand but somehow something always seemed to get in the way. At least that's what Stanley had told him. However, Jake believed that it was Stanley's nerves getting the best of him.

"Yeah, I asked her." Stanley looked down at the table, avoiding any sort of eye contact with Jake. He knew, of course, that there was no way he was getting out of Bailey's without some sort of smart-ass, Jake Green remark so he decided to beat him to the punch. "She couldn't wait to say yes, either. Though, I think it had more to do with the fact that I told her my Spidey powers were starting to kick in."

Jake laughed at this. He had a lop-sided grin on his face when he shook his head said, "You know, Stanley, if you remember, the last time I was a best man, things didn't work out all that great."

Stanley grinned and clasped his hands together as in prayer, "Please, Jake....Please, be my best man, you know you want to. Besides, you'd better say yes or you'll have Mimi to deal with. Believe me, that's something you don't want."

The thought of a riled-up Mimi chasing him around town made Jake relent.

"So, is this a Wrangler affair or are we going all out with Levi's?" Jake joked before buying Stanley and himself a round of drinks.

Just as he and Stanley were toasting to the demise of Stanley's bachelorhood, Eric walked through the door, carrying a hand-held radio. The look of concern on Eric's face made Jake feel uneasy.

He stood to greet his brother. "Eric, what's going on?"

"It's Russell, he says he need to speak with you . . . something urgent."

Jake took the radio from Eric. He hesitated a moment before clicking the button and informing Russell that he was there.

"Yeah, Russell. Jake here."

"Jake, I . . . uh . . . I don't know how to tell you this," Russell stammered. "It's Constantino, He . . . he's gone. He escaped."

"What? How the hell did that happen?" Jake demanded unable to believe what he was hearing.

"Jake, I don't have the full story yet. I know that he had a couple of accomplices that we weren't aware of. They broke into the warehouse where we were holding him, took out his guards and smuggled him out without anyone seeing them."

"When did this happen?" Jake demanded.

"It happened this morning," Russell said, "after the Army left the area. I'm trying to pull a search party together. Do you want in?"

"You bet," Jake replied. "When do we leave?"

"Can you be here tomorrow morning at 10:00?" Russell asked.

"I'll be there." Jake said, then signed off. He placed the handheld radio on the table. Jake's blood had run cold at the news that Constantino was free. Thoughts of revenge filled his mind but they were interrupted by Eric.

"I'm going with you, Jake. He was my father too."

"I'm with you too, Jake! "

Stanley wanted Jake to know that he was there for him, ready to do whatever was needed.

"Thanks, Stanley, but I have a feeling your bride-to-be might hunt me down if I let you come with me. Anyway, I need you to help Eric. It would be a load off my mind."

As Jake turned to look at his brother, he could feel the anger emanating from Eric. He knew that he would have to handle this situation with his brother delicately.

"Eric, I need you to stay here...," Jake started.

"Damn it, Jake! After what he did to me, what he did to Heather, I have just as much right to go as you do. I need to go!" Eric replied hotly. A part of him knew Jake was right and was upset because he couldn't go search for Constantino. Another part demanded that he hunt Constantino no matter what the circumstance.

"Eric! I know you want in on this but I need you to stay and protect Mom. We don't know what kind of situation we have at the moment and I need to know that she's safe. I trust you to do that. Please, don't fight me on this. I need you here."

Seeing the sincerity in Jake's eyes, Eric reluctantly gave in. He nodded. "You going to tell her or do you want me to do it?"

"I'll do it. I told her I would be home for supper tonight anyway. Eric, Stanley, don't let Mom go anywhere alone. No matter what she tells you. Oh, and Stanley....Congratulations!" With that said, Jake headed out of Bailey's.

Jake's walk home was far from pleasant. He failed miserably at trying to find a delicate way to break the news to his mother. As he bounded up the last porch step, he took a deep breath and went inside.

"Hi, Mom."

"Hi, honey. How are you?"

"I'm fine. What did you do today?"

"I was at the Medical Center all day. By the way, Emily stopped by and asked me to let you know that she's spending the night at the house in the Pines. She wanted get the house aired out. Then, she was going to spend some quiet time pulling together lesson plans for the start of school next week. Let's sit down, dinner is ready."

After dinner they went into the living room with their coffee. Gail sat down on the couch and Jake sat in the chair next to it.

"Mom, there's something I need to tell you." Jake knew from past experience that the best way to deal with his Mother was straight on.

Gail had known from the second Jake walked through the door that he had something on his mind. She also knew her son would tell her when he was ready. Her patience had paid off. When she saw the concern in Jake's eyes, she gripped the arm of her chair. The last time she saw that look in his eyes was when she walked into the kitchen at the Richmond farmhouse the day Johnston had died.

"Go on, honey, you can tell me." she assured Jake.

"Mom, Russell radioed in from New Bern a little while ago," Jake hesitated. "It's Constantino. He managed to escape."

Gail was a taken aback by Jake's news. She wanted Phil Constantino's head served up on a silver platter as much as everyone else in Jericho, but she was more concerned with Jake's reaction to his escape. Gail knew her son. He would not sit idly by while his father's killer roamed free. That scared her more than Constantino's escape.

"So, when are you leaving?" Gail asked, knowing what was coming next. She decided to save Jake the trouble of telling her that he would be putting himself in danger again.

"Tomorrow, early. I'm to meet Russell at 10:00 in New Bern."

"Well, then, I'd best be getting some food together for you trip." Gail stood
and started into the kitchen. Jake grabbed her arm.

"Please, Mom," Jake said as he urged Gail to sit down on the couch next to him. "Sit. I need to know how you really are. You never seem to be at home anymore. Are you okay?"

"I'm just trying to get through it. Sometimes, I feel so empty without your dad and don't know how I can go on." Tears start to fall freely down Gail's face. Jake leaned over and wrapped his arms around her. .

"It's okay, Mom. Things will get better. It will just take some time."

"I know that, honey, it's just that...." Gail trailed off.

"I know, I know," Jake said soothingly. "It's time you let it out, Mom. Let me be strong for you for a change. You've held it in too long."

Suddenly, Gail started to sob. Jake pulled her closer, whispering comforting words to her. After a while, Gail's tears subsided.

"Feel better?" Jake asked.

"Yes, thanks for being here for me." Gail sniffed.

"I'll always be here for you, Mom, so will Eric. Promise you'll come to talk to us whenever you need to."

"I will," said Gail.

They sat quietly for a few minutes finding some measure of peace in the quiet surrounding them. Finally, Gail said, "You know, Jake, you should talk. You are just like me."

"What do you mean?"

"Talk about me burying myself in work to avoid coming to terms with your Dad's death. I don't think you've done much better."

Jake's eyes widened in realization of what his Mom had just said. He could barely choke out his response.

"You're right Mom. It's just too difficult for me to talk about right now. I have too many regrets."

"I know, honey. We don't have to talk about it now, but you will need to talk to someone about it. You won't ever come to terms with it if you don't."

"I know you're right, I'm just not ready."

"That's okay. Remember, I'm here if you need me."

"You always are, Mom."

Jake's response brought a smile to Gail's face. He was glad. He hadn't seen many of his mother's smiles lately.

"Jake, I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight, Mom."

After his mom left the room, Jake's thoughts drifted to Emily. He knew that she would not be happy with this latest development. He hoped that she would understand that he had to go after Constantino.

Emily had moved into the Green house six weeks ago. Jake had adamantly refused to move into her house in the Pines. He didn't want his Mom to be alone. Emily had told him that she was determined to make their relationship work. She told him that he needed her to keep some sort of balance in his life. They both agreed they would give their best effort to make their relationship work. Unfortunately, with all that was going on, Jake hadn't found the time to figure where their relationship was going. He knew that he and Emily didn't have the kind of love his mother and father had. It was the kind of love he always wanted to share with the person he decided to live his life with. He suspected that he was just settling for Emily because he needed something to hold on to.

With that thought, Jake decided it was time for him to get to bed.

During breakfast, Jake told Emily about Constantino.

When Gail walked into the kitchen, she saw the look on Emily's face and knew that Jake had told her. She decided her best course of action would be to leave the two of them alone to sort it out for themselves.

"I have to get to the Med Center early today. Jake, if you don't get a chance to stop by before you leave, just be careful out there."

"Will do, Mom." Gail embraced her son, hoping that it wouldn't be the last time she saw him. She then gave him a nod and made her way out the door to the Med Center.

After Gail left, Emily turned to Jake. "You can't keep doing this, Jake. You can't keep taking chances with your life like this. It kills me to watch you walk out that door, knowing that you might not come back."

"Em, I have to do this. I don't have a choice. I couldn't live with myself knowing that Constantino is free."

"Jake, what about us? Doesn't our relationship mean anything to you? You're always put the welfare of Jericho above us! You're never home and now this! You're leaving again for God knows how long! I deserve more than what I'm getting from you." Emily exclaimed emotionally.

"Em, you probably do deserve more, but..." Jake trailed off, a little annoyed by Emily's lack of understanding. "You know, I just can't deal with this right now. It's going to have to wait until I get back."

Jake was trying to be as honest with Emily as he knew how. However, he was so focused on the opportunity to avenge his father's death that he couldn't concentrate on anything else at the moment.

"If we don't talk about this before you leave, I don't know if I'll be here when you get back. I'm sick and tired of your putting everyone and everything before me. I need for you to put us first. This won't work if I'm the only one willing to try."

"Are you sure that's what you want, Em? I'm willing to try to make things work when I get back. Take some time to think about this. I just can't deal with this right now. You have to understand...."

"I do understand, Jake. I know the reasons why you do the things you do. It's just..." Emily paused, running her fingers through her wavy, blond hair. "I don't think I can continue living my life like this."

"I don't want you to make any decision about us before I get back, but do what you have to. I have to get going. I'm meeting up with Russell in half an hour."

Inside the house, Emily stormed upstairs and started to pack. She was frustrated with the fact that she never seemed to come first in Jake's life. She knew that he had made a commitment to the town, but she would have never guessed that Jake's loyalty to Jericho could be their downfall. She didn't blame him. Not really. She had just thought she would be by Jake's side. Instead, it seemed like Jake was always leaving her behind.

She sat down on the bed next to her suitcase. It occurred to Emily that Jake didn't look at her the same way he used to--the way he did before he left Jericho. That look was gone. She wondered if it would ever return.

In spite of everything, Emily realized she was not ready to give up on Jake. After all they had been through, she needed to give Jake time to put this chapter of his life behind him. She would stay until he returned. She owed him that much. She took her clothes out of her suitcase and crossed to the dresser.

As she was putting her sweaters back into a drawer, an envelope slipped out and fell to the floor.

‘Oh my God, I can't believe I forgot . . .' Emily thought as she reached down and picked up the envelope