- Text Size +

 

After reading Heather's letter, Jake headed to Hawkins' house. Hawkins answered the door. Not giving him a chance to greet him, Jake got straight to the point.

"We need to talk," he said flatly.

Hawkins noticed the serious look on Jake's face. Without saying a word, he opened the door and motioned Jake to follow him. Jake followed him into the living room and sat down on the couch.

"What's going on, Jake?" Hawkins asked as he sat in the chair opposite Jake.

Jake pulled out the envelope that contained the letter and document from Heather. He handed them to Hawkins just as Dee entered the living room. She didn't know Jake very well but she could tell by looking at his face something was very wrong.

Over the next ten minutes, Hawkins read the letter and went over the enclosed document. Meanwhile, Jake got up from the couch and started pacing. He was anxious to set his plan in motion.

Darcy was concerned with the way Jake was beginning to wear a tread in the living room floor. It was obvious to her whatever it was that Rob was reading had Jake worried. She wondered what he wanted from Rob.

After processing all the information, Hawkins turned and studied Jake for a moment. "Jake, this letter was written three weeks ago. Why are you here now? What do you want from me?" he asked.

Not wanting to waste time on the details, Jake replied, "There was a mix-up. It was just delivered to me yesterday. The document supports your theory that Valente has some sort of influence in the new government and that he may have been the one who sent the army to find the package."

"Rob?" Darcy started to ask.

Hawkins looked to Jake who understood the unspoken question. Jake nodded his head in agreement. Hawkins handed Darcy the letter and document. It didn't take her long to get up to speed on the current situation. She was filled with dread when she saw Valente's name.

With some trepidation, Darcy asked, "Why would Valente hire Ravenwood to ransack New Bern in order to incite a war with Jericho? There must be some other motive besides the package. Valente wouldn't trust that kind of information to an outfit like Ravenwood. Is it possible that he wants a cut of Jericho's resources?"

Jake sat back down on the couch and considered Darcy's words before replying, "I'm not sure that makes sense. Why would the army have come in that case?"

"Maybe his influence in the government doesn't extend to the armed forces. When the soldiers at Camp Liberty were informed of the war, someone other than Valente could have authorized their involvement." Hawkins said.

Darcy countered Hawkins reply. "This may seem a little farfetched but maybe Valente authorized the army's involvement so he wouldn't be a suspect. It's possible that he was working outside the government and once the army found out he had no choice. If word got out that he didn't send the army to a town desperately in need of help, it could have undermined his credibility in the government."

Looking at the two people in front of him, Jake replied, "Yes, both scenarios are possible . . . and imply that the government may not be involved. The letterhead may have been intended to make Ravenwood believe they were acting on behalf of the government."

After Jake replied, Darcy nodded and asked, "Jake, I'm just curious. What did Miss Lisinski mean when she wrote that she was taking another page out of your book? And why did she believe that you would know what she meant?"

At this question, Jake rose from the couch and started pacing again. He was obviously very agitated. "It means that she is going to try and find out what's behind that damn document! I need to stop her before something happens to her!"

"Are you two involved?" Hawkins asked trying to understand the urgency behind Jake's last comment.

"No, we're just friends," Jake replied. However, Jake's body language told both Darcy and Hawkins that he harbored feelings for her whether he realized it yet or not.

Jake continued, more calmly than before, "Look, you asked for my help the other day. After reading this letter, I'm convinced that things aren't right in Cheyenne. I'm going to get Heather. Why don't you come with me?

The old Hawkins would have agreed right then and there to go; however, the new one remembered his promise to Darcy. He needed to talk to her before answering Jake.

Hawkins looked at Darcy and saw the wariness in her eyes. Immediately, he knew that she was thinking about his promise to her.

"Jake, Darcy and I need to talk in private. Please excuse us for a moment." Hawkins said, and then led Darcy into the kitchen.

When the kitchen door closed behind them, Darcy looked at Rob.

"Dee, I haven't forgotten my promise to you. You know I asked Jake for his help. I intended for him to help me here but now we need information from Cheyenne. I'll tell him no if that's what you want," Rob paused, gazing into Darcy's eyes. "He's determined to go with or without me. If you don't want me to go, I can help him with a plan before he leaves. I have a contact in Cheyenne, I can Jake to him with a letter of introduction from me.

"Rob, I have a much better understanding of what you do now. I know how important it is for you to resolve who is behind the bombs. You need to finish this. If you go will we be able to put this whole thing behind us sooner?"

"Maybe, but I made you a promise, Dee. You and the kids are more important to me than anything else. I won't do anything that will jeopardize our family again."

After a few moments of searching her husband's eyes for reassurance, Darcy made her decision. This time, however, there were no pangs of resentment or frustration. She knew that her husband and Jake Green may be the only ones on the planet who could save the country.

"Rob, the sooner we can put this whole thing behind us the better. Go. Just promise me that you'll be careful and you'll do whatever it takes to come back to us safely."

"You have my word."

After they embraced, Rob and Darcy walked back into the living room arm in arm. Hawkins looked into Darcy's face and saw the approval in her eyes. Then, he turned to Jake. "I'm in."

A relieved look crossed Jake's face as he looked at Darcy and Hawkins.

"Thanks, I need take care of a few things before we can leave. Can you be ready the day after tomorrow?"

Hawkins looked at Darcy, who nodded her agreement. He replied, "Sounds good to me."

"Good. I'll stop by tomorrow so we can finalize our plans."

After Jake left Hawkins drew Darcy into his arms again. He tenderly kissed her, and then whispered in her ear, "What did I do to deserve you? I love you, Dee."

Darcy enjoying the comfort and reassurance of being in Rob's arms whispered back, "I love you, too."

*************************

Jake stopped at Bailey's on his way home from Hawkins' house. After speaking with Eric for a moment, he continued home, making a mental checklist of the things that he needed to get done before he left for Cheyenne. One thing was for sure, he was dreading the conversation he would need to have with his Mom, Eric and Emily. He decided the direct approach with them would be the best.

When Jake arrived home, he found Gail in the kitchen. "Hi, Mom."

"Jake, you're home!" Gail exclaimed, hugging her son tightly. "Is Constantino back in custody?"

"No. I came home because I found out some information. I stopped by Bailey's on the way home and asked Eric to come by the house. I'd like to tell you together." Worry flashed across Jake's face. He quickly masked it, but not in time to hide it from his mother.

Gail saw the look that came over her son's face. She knew all to well what it meant.

Not again. What is it this time?! He wants Eric here when he tells me. It can't be good!' Gail, knowing that when Jake set his mind on something there was no changing his mind, tried to prepare herself for what was coming.

Eric arrived at the house a few minutes later. Jake sat in his father's old chair across from Gail and Eric who were sitting on the couch. After Jake told the story about how he found out Heather was alive and that she was in Cheyenne, he handed to the letter from Heather to them to read.

Disbelief was evident in Eric's voice when he asked, "She's alive!?" The disbelief turned to confusion, "I don't understand, Jake, why did she go to Cheyenne?"

Gail spoke up. "I don't understand it either. She has a home here in Jericho. What does this mean ... she's taking another page from your book?"

Every time he heard or read those words, Jake's stomach dropped. The same fear and guilt he felt when he first read the letter returned. The thought of Heather putting herself in danger was unbearable. "It means she's in trouble, Mom, a lot of trouble."

Gail looked at her son. She saw the worry and concern etched on his face. She knew he was friends with Heather but what she saw in his face spoke of something more . . .

"Mom," Jake interrupted her thoughts. "You'll want to read that document I just handed you."

Gail was so lost in thoughts that she became startled when Jake spoke to her. "Yes...Yes, of course." She read the document and handed it to Eric.

Eric was the first to react. "This is bad . . . it sounds like the government is behind the war. It doesn't make any sense. "

Jake replied. "It sounds that way, but it doesn't prove anything. I need to find out who's behind all this. Mom, I know you are not going to be happy but I have to go to Cheyenne to investigate this."

"Jake, are you sure it's the right thing to do? I don't want you to go! Who knows what danger you're walking into?" Gail exclaimed.

"I'm sorry Mom. I have to do this. I'm not going alone. Hawkins is going with me. He says he has a contact in Cheyenne who can help us. Besides, I'm worried about Heather. " Jake admitted.

"When do you leave?" she said resignedly.

"The day after tomorrow, Eric, tell Gray that I joined another search party that's going after Constantino. I don't want him to know anything about this, especially that Heather is alive. Not only is she in danger snooping around Cheyenne but she'll be in danger until Constantino is in custody again. She knows too much about what went on in New Bern."

"I won't say anything, Jake. You have my word." Eric replied.

"You have to do your best to keep Gray in line while I'm gone. I know it can be difficult at times."

"Jake, how long will you be gone?" Gail asked.

"I'm not sure."

"What about Stanley's and Mimi's wedding. You'll be back for that, right?" Gail asked.

"I wouldn't miss it. It's not for another two months. Don't worry I'll be back for it even if I have to go back to Cheyenne after it, but I don't think that will happen."

Eric spoke up. "We're going to miss you Jake, Not only at home but back at Town Hall. You're right, I'm going to have my hands full with Gray. Is there anything else? I need to go help Mary close the pub."

"That's it for now. Why don't you come by tomorrow afternoon? My plans will be finalized by then. Oh, by the way, I saw Emily at lunch today. She knows Heather is alive but that's all. Don't tell her anything else . . . at this point, the less people who know the better.

Eric got up to go. "You don't have to worry about that. We won't say anything to her. You know, Jake, I feel like I'm just beginning to get my brother back after all these years. I would hate to have something happen to you out there. You be careful. Not only do Mom and I need you, but this town has come to depend on you."

Jake, surprised by Eric's sentiments, gave him a brotherly hug and said, "I'll be careful, little brother. Don't worry, I'll be back."

Gail walked Eric to the door. Jake overheard her say. "Bye, honey. Tell Mary that I'll stop by and see her tomorrow. We need to set up a day where I can show her how to bake that bread you like so much."

"Will do, Mom." Eric replied, happy that his Mom was finally making an effort to involve Mary in the family. "Goodnight."

Gail went back into the living room. Jake turned to her and asked, "Where's Em, Mom?"

"She told me she was going to the Pines for the night. She left right after lunch. She said she needed the quiet, that she had some things to sort out."

"Thanks, I'll stop by in the morning and tell her I'm going."

"She doesn't know yet?" Gail asked, surprised that Jake hadn't already discussed this with her.

"No, not yet, I haven't had time to tell her." The look he gave Gail told her that the subject was closed.

"So Jake, what can I do to help you get ready to leave for Cheyenne?"

"I think I'm all set. I just need to pack some clothes."

"Okay, let me go into the kitchen and see what food I can put together for trip out there."

"That would be great, Mom. Thanks."

That night, Jake lay in bed thinking about his visit to the Hawkins' house earlier that day. He thought back to the how Hawkins had consulted with Darcy before making the decision to come with him. For some reason, it had never occurred for him to consult with Emily. He knew that this pointed to yet another flaw in their relationship. In his mind's eye he reviewed the conversation he had with Darcy and Hawkins. The mutual respect that Hawkins and Darcy felt for each other was apparent in their interactions. Although, he didn't know them well, he had a feeling that it was the same type of respect that his parents had felt for each other. It was respect that was born, not only from love, but from taking each other's thoughts, feelings and ideas into consideration and more importantly from a deep seated commitment to each other. It was the kind that formed a strong foundation for a long term meaningful relationship.

His last thought before drifting off into a restless sleep was that that type of mutual respect was missing from his and Emily's relationship . . .

He was back in San Diego being chased down the streets. His pursuer was getting closer and closer. He turned to confront him but couldn't see his face . . . it was hidden in the shadows. He turned and ran until he reached the crossroad where he had to decide to run towards the harbor or further into the city. The next thing he knew he was sailing on a boat on San Diego Harbor. The water was rough and murky. He picked up the binoculars that lay on the table beside him, raised them to his eyes and looked towards the shore. He saw Emily there, motioning him to come back but he continued to sail further and further away. The further out he sailed the murkier the water got. He placed the binoculars backed on the table and turned in the opposite direction. He saw a woman struggling in the water. Her back was turned towards him but he could see she had medium length dark brown hair. He jumped into the murky water and started swimming towards her. As he was approached her, he calmly told her that he would be taking her back to safety. He hooked his arm over her chest and side stroked back to the boat. As he was swimming he noticed that water was getting less murky. By the time he had pulled her up on to the boat deck the water was completely clear. They both lay exhausted on the deck. He was the first to open his eyes. He turned to look at the woman he had just saved. It was Heather!

The truth of the dream's meaning in his subconscious jolted Jake awake. It took another minute for the dream's message to seep into his conscious being.

Once awake, Jake couldn't go back to sleep. His mind was occupied with thoughts of his relationship with Emily. His heart, on the other hand, was full of feelings for Heather.

Jake knew he had to deal with the thoughts in his mind before turning attention to the feelings in his heart.

Tonight, he finally admitted that his relationship with Emily was over. He wasn't able to give her what she wanted, what she seemed to need. She wanted the old Jake back . . . she wanted the same relationship they had before Chris died. She was living in the past while he was looking towards the future.

He didn't want . . . no, couldn't go back, to the person he was before he left Jericho.. That man did what he wanted without consideration for anyone's feelings but his own. He was a screw up, every time he attempted to make thing right he made worse. The man he had become was doing things right. He was making a difference helping Jericho getting back on his feet. The town respected him. They were beginning to look up to him in the same way they once looked up to his father. Above all, there was one overriding reason why he couldn't go back to the person he once was. With his dying breathe, his father had told him how proud he was of him. It was the words he had wanted to hear all his life, words he will carry in his heart forever. From that day, he had become determined to live his live in a manner that would have made his father proud. He didn't want to be alone in this new life. He wanted and needed the love and support of someone who accepted him as he was now. Emily couldn't give him that, she was too entrenched in the past.

It was then that Jake realized that had more to talk to Emily about then just his trip to Cheyenne.

The next morning, Jake walked over to Emily's house in the Pines. As he was walking up to her door he saw Emily coming out of the house.

"Jake, I was just walking over to see you. We need to talk."

"I know."

"Why don't we go back inside? I'll make us a cup of coffee."

"Sure, Em."

Jake followed Emily into the kitchen and sat at the table while she made the coffee. Ten minutes later, they were both sitting with cups of hot coffee in front of them.

"Em, you said you wanted to talk. So do I. Why don't you go first?"

"Okay." Emily said warily. "I think we both know that I haven't been happy with the way things are between us. It's just not the same as it used to be, is it?

Jake hesitated. He didn't want to hurt Emily any more than he had to. "No, it isn't," he answered honestly.

"Jake. I came here last night because I needed the quiet to think things through. To see how we could resolve this. I thought we could try cooling it for awhile. I'll move back here and we can start over, take the time to get to know each other again. What do you think?"

"I don't know, Emily . . . We're always at each other's throats. You seem to want things to be like they used to be . . . before Chris died. . . "

"What are you saying, Jake?" Emily interrupted.

Jake took a deep breath and said what he felt. "I'm saying I can't do this anymore. You say you want things to be the way they used to be. I can't do that for you."

"But, Jake . . . "

"No Em, let me finish. I've changed too much to want to ever go back being the person I once was. You don't want to accept that. I'm really sorry, Em, I should never have started things up with you again. I never wanted to hurt you."

"So that's it? Just like that? It's over?"

"Yes," was all Jake could reply.

Emily's instincts knew Jake was right. They could never go back to the way things were and she wasn't happy with the way things were now. She wanted the old Jake back. She didn't understand the new the one, if truth be told, she wasn't sure she wanted to.

"If only you hadn't left Jericho. If only Chris hadn't die. We would have been happy then, wouldn't we?" Emily asked with tears in her eyes.

Jake, trying to provide what comfort he could, reached over and placed his hand on hers. "I'd like to think we would have been, but I can't go back to the way I was. I'd be living a lie. I can't make you happy, Emily, not the way you deserve to be."

"You know deep down I know you're right and the sooner I accept it the better off I'll be. I don't know what I'll do without you. I'm going to miss you."

"I'll still be here for you. Whenever you need something you only have to ask, but we'll be friends, good friends. Okay?"

Emily looked at him and gave him a small smile. "Okay, friends."

Jake returned her smile. "Good."

They sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes before Jake said. "There's something else I need to tell you."

"What's that?" Emily asked.

"I'm worried about Heather. I'm going to Cheyenne to bring her home. I'm leaving tomorrow."

Emily was concerned by this news. "Are you going alone?"

"No, Hawkins is going with me."

"Jake, just be careful."

"I will. Look, I need to get going. I have a few more things to get done before I leave. Are you going to be okay?"

"I'll be okay, Jake. Would you mind just waiting a minute? I want to write Heather a quick note."

"Sure. It will give me a chance to enjoy another cup of coffee." Jake said as he got up to refill his cup.

In spite of everything, Emily wanted Jake to be happy. She thought back to the look on Jake's face when he told her Heather was alive. If she couldn't make him happy, she thought she knew who could. A few minutes later Emily returned and handed an envelope to Jake asked him to give the envelope to Heather when he found her.

She walked Jake to the door. "Good bye, Jake. Be careful and bring my friend back safe and sound."

"Don't worry, I will." Jake replied. As he turned and walked away he couldn't help but feel that a huge weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

Now he could deal with the feelings in his heart with a clear conscious.

*************************
Gail, Eric and Jake stood by the Roadrunner outside of the Green house saying their good-byes.

"Jake, have you talked to Stanley?" Eric asked.

"Hawkins and I are going to stop at the farm on the way out of town to let him know what's going on."

"Eric, take care of yourself and Mom. Good luck with Gray. He can be a pain in the ass at times," Jake said.

"I will. You take care of yourself too. Good luck in Cheyenne."

"Thanks." Jake hugged Eric and turned to his Mom.

"Mom, please don't worry. I'll be okay. Don't forget we'll be checking in once a week and if there's an emergency all you need to do is go see Darcy and she'll contact us."

Hawkins had informed Jake that he had four satellite phones in his possession. Threw were going to Cheyenne with him. The other he was leaving one with Darcy so that they could keep in contact with Jericho. At a predefined time each week Eric and Gail could go to the Hawkins house and wait for a call from Cheyenne. Only in an emergency, could Darcy use the phone to call them. When Jake expressed some concerns on how secure the phones were, Hawkins reply was that they had top of the line digital scramblers installed, making it impossible to track the locations of the persons using the phone.

"Jake, it's a God send to me knowing that we'll able to keep in contact. I'll try not to worry, but you know me . . ."

"Only to well, Mom, . . .only to well. Take care of yourself and I'll talk to you soon.

Jake hugged his mother and whispered in her ear. "I love you, Mom."

"I love you too, honey," Gail replied before breaking away from the hug. She then told Jake, "Take care of yourself out there."

"I will, Mom." Jake then turned and got in the car. He started it up. With one last wave to his Mom and Eric he was on his way to Hawkins' house.

When Jake drove up to the house he saw that Darcy, Sam and Allison were standing on the porch saying their goodbyes.

Hawkins turned to Sam and stooped down so he could look him in the eyes. "Sam, you're the man of the house now. I'm counting on you to help your Mom. Do you think you can do that?"

"Sure thing, Dad. You are coming home aren't you?"

"I'm going to do everything in my power to come back."

"Okay, Dad."

Hawkins hugged Sam and said, "I love you, son."

"Love you, too, Dad. Can I go play football now?" Both Hawkins and Darcy smiled.

Hawkins turned to his daughter. "Allison, your Mom and I talked last night. We've agreed to let you train for border patrol. Listen to Jimmy and do whatever he tells you. Be careful."

At his words, a huge smile spread across Allison's face. "Don't worry I'll be careful. Thanks for giving me this chance."

"You know, Allison, it's important that the family stick together especially while I'm away. Make sure you do your part, okay?

"I will, Dad. Take care of yourself. I'll let you say goodbye to Mom now." Allison turned and went back into the house.

"Dee, I'll be sure to talk to you once a week. Remember if there's an emergency, you can call me. This time won't be like all the other times when you didn't hear from me for months on end."

"Rob, I know that things are different now. You just go out there and do what needs to be done so that you can come home again."

Hawkins pulled Darcy into his embrace.

"I'm going to miss you, Dee." Hawkins said before passionately kissing his wife.

"I'm going to miss you too. You stay safe Rob Hawkins," Darcy said with tears in her eyes.

"Don't worry, Dee. I'll be back. I love you."

"I love you, too."

Darcy walked Hawkins to the Roadrunner. "Goodbye, Rob," she said as Hawkins got into the car.

"Take care, Darcy."

Darcy stayed, wistfully looking down the road until the car was out of sight before turning and going back into the house.

The two-day trip from Jericho to Cheyenne was tiring, but uneventful. Fortunately, Hawkins still had the detailed maps of Kansas that he and Sarah had used when they had gone looking for the old man. These maps had allowed them to use back roads to avoid the more-densely populated areas. Fortunately, the Army had been successful in securing the roads and the letter Colonel Hoffman had given Jake had eased their way through military checkpoints.

As they approached Cheyenne, Hawkins reached over and shook Jake.

'Wake up, Jake. We're getting close to Cheyenne.'


Meanwhile at the Ravenwood camp outside of New Bern

D.B. Goetz, leader of the Ravenwood team, had just raised Valente on their secure satellite connection to update him on their progress.

"Valente."

"Goetz, I take it you have some news to report?

"We've been able to accomplish our objective. Our operatives easily penetrated the warehouse where Constantino was being held. They took out two guards. Constantino is now being held at our safe house he will be debriefed tonight at 1800 hours before being eliminated. Word around New Bern is that he had a couple of unidentified accomplices aided in his escape."

"In spite of that, I have to say I'm disappointed, Goetz. I thought your unit handled problems not created them. "

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Heather Lisinski is alive. You lied to me when you said she was eliminated. Did you think I would never find out? Saying she was dead and then selling her to highest bidder?"

"What difference does it make? Where she was going no one would know who she is. Hell, after a few months she wouldn't even have known who she was."

"That's not the point,You were to eliminate her and you failed to do that. In case you haven't remembered, failure to follow orders is a breach of our contract . . ."

Goetz interrupted Valente. "You don't want to go there. You forget that I have the goods that could topple this little world you've created for yourself. I‘ve already arranged for the goods to be delivered to the right people if anything happens to me Now, let's get back to business. Where's Lisinski?"

Valente nodded uncomfortably, not liking how Goetz easily turned the table on him. "Apparently, the car that you transported her in ran off the road, she was the only survivor. The army patrol securing the roads in that area found her. She's here in Cheyenne. She is presently working in the Department of Reconstruction but I've devised a plan where I'll be able to keep a closer eye on her."

"How did she end up in Cheyenne?"

The commander at Camp Liberty in Nebraska convinced her to testify at Constantino's trial. For her protection, he kept the fact she was alive quiet. When his unit received orders to move on, he arranged for her to come here. He told her that Constantino's power doesn't extend as far as Cheyenne and she would be safer here."

Goetz thought for a minute before saying, "You know Valente, sometimes you fail to see how fate works to our advantage."

"What do you mean?"

"Here's the new plan. We use Constantino to kill Lisinski and then we kill Constantino. Jericho wants its revenge against Constantino. Not only will both threats be eliminated . . . "

Valente finished for Goetz, "It will be the first step in redeeming Ravenwood in the eyes of Jericho. This along with a few supply convoys should pave the way for your team to infiltrate the town and get the necessary information we need to acquire their resources."

"I'll go to the safe house and talk to Constantino. My men say he's half crazed with anger about how things turned out. It shouldn't take much to convince him that Lisinski was the root of all his problems. I'll tell him where she is before I let him escape."

"Get to it then. Contact me at the designated time and we'll re-evaluate the situation."

"Yes, Sir!" Goetz then gave Valente an exaggerated salute before signing off.

It was unfortunate that the Army had intervened but Goetz wasn't one to run from a challenge. He was already formulating a new plan in his mind. He was determined to get his revenge.