- Text Size +

7 weeks after the war with New Bern, the day before Jake and Hawkins arrive in Cheyenne

The alarm clock buzzed loudly. Sighing, Heather rolled over in bed and turned the clock off. She knew that she had to get up so that she could catch the eight o'clock bus to work. Free transportation to and from work and the FEMA camp was one of the fringe benefits to living in the apartments which had been purchased by the government for employees who had been displaced by the bombs.

An hour later, Heather got on the bus in front of her apartment building. When she reached the Capitol, she headed to her office. She entered the department where she worked and politely greeted the receptionist.

"Good morning, Miss Lisinski," the receptionist replied. "From the way other analysts have been complaining this morning, the stringers must have been busy this week."

Most of the news that Heather compiled and analyzed came from stringers who were placed strategically throughout the country. Since the bombs had exploded, it usually took two to ten days from the time the news happened until it was entered into the government's secured computer servers located in the capitol data center.

Heather smiled at the receptionist and said, "Keeping busy makes the day go faster."

"Well, you're going to have to stay busy today if you want to get through all of those reports. Isn't tomorrow your day at the camp?" the receptionist asked.

Nodding at the receptionist, Heather walked over to her desk. As an Information Analyst, her job gave her access to the news archives. Her computer was on the government network and she received reports from stringers every day. After she reviewed and categorized the new reports, she forwarded them to the data center to be archived. Heather flagged the reports which needed immediate attention and forwarded them to the Secretary of Redevelopment. At the end of the day, she prepared her daily report outlining situations which needed immediate attention along with possible resolutions for those situations.

At six o'clock, Heather electronically filed her report and printed out a copy for the department files. As she walked over to the filing cabinet, she saw that several of her co-workers were still at the office. Although a few of them had tried to befriend her, she had kept their relationships purely professional.

Heather was determined to do the best job she could. She knew that her compilations were used to identify when and where redevelopment could begin and to provide information so that scientists could track the effects of the bombs. Right now, it was one of the only ways she could help people whose lives had been torn apart by the attacks.

"Bye," she said as she put on her jacket. She left the building and went to the bus stop. The buses ran regularly and soon Heather was back at her apartment. After she ate dinner, she prepared for her day at Camp Cheyenne, the FEMA camp where she volunteered once a week.

When she was at home in her apartment, she felt the most lonesome. Her thoughts invariably drifted to Jake. Of all the people in Jericho, she missed him the most. Jake was one of the few people who had really listened to her and took her suggestions seriously, like the time she had suggested that they siphon gas from Murthy's Gas Station and use it to power the generator. Not only had he listened to her but he had recruited Stanley's help to siphon the gas and transport it to the generator that powered the Med Center. The three of them had worked really well as a team that day, and naïve as it might sound, she had pictured herself and Jake working together to help improve the new lives that everyone was forced to live after the bombs.

One of her favorite memories of Jake was the day of the fallout. She remembered the look and the smile that Jake had given her when he looked in the rearview mirror while driving the bus to the salt mine. Then there was that day when she had thrown caution to the wind and kissed Jake before he left for Rouge River. She had never felt safer and more cared for when Jake started to kiss her back. She was hurt and confused when Jake avoided her after that day. She still was.  Heather still couldn't believe that she had managed to call him out on his behavior before they had left Jericho for Black Jack.

After the Black Jack fiasco, when she had said good bye to Jake by the railroad tracks, she had seen a fleeting look in his eyes that had made her wonder if he actually did have feelings for her.  When she didn't return to Jericho with the men, she had secretly hoped that Jake would come after her, he never did.

Then New Bern had happened. She still hadn't come to terms with it and she didn't know if she ever would. It was something no one should ever have to live through. Sometimes she wondered if she would ever be able to trust the people around her again. She knew she had to try and, last week with that in mind, she had accepted Joe's invitation for lunch tomorrow at Camp Cheyenne.

She had met Joe Chavez the first day she volunteered at the camp.  Her education background and her current government job had prompted the Camp Coordinator to ask her to serve on a committee to revamp the news stringer training program, one of the re-assimilation programs offered to the refugees. Joe was also asked to serve on the same committee. They brought with them expertise in two very different areas that were considered instrumental in the revamped training program. Joe chaired a sub-committee charged with making recommendations to improve the survival rates of the news stringers while Heather chaired a sub-committee on curriculum development that was responsible for bringing the training curriculum up to date to reflect the latest technology and news gathering techniques.  The committee met for three hours every Wednesday. Since it was the only day that Heather was in camp, she also met with her sub-committee for two hours in the afternoon. Heather had liked Joe from the start so when he asked her to join him for lunch her next day at camp she decided that she would take the step and see if a friendship could develop between them.

Last Wednesday had been the last meeting of the committee. The camp governing council had approved their recommendations and the Director of Training Programs was charged with implementing the program changes.

Tomorrow, Heather would finally have the opportunity to finally do what she loved, teaching.

Tired, Heather decided to turn in early. There was nothing else to do. As she climbed into the bed and pulled up the covers, she thought sleepily to herself, ‘Tomorrow won't be so lonely.'

The next day Heather was excited to be at camp.  She started her day reviewing her lesson plans and the information that she had on her new students. She had a class of thirty students ranging from the ages of six to eleven. They had arrived at the camp last week from a small town in northeast Wyoming.

As she was placing the day's learning material on the students' desk a girl, who looked to be about ten or eleven, entered the classroom.

"Hello," Heather said. "My name is Miss Lisinski. What's your name?"           

"My name is Maureen."

"That's such a nice name. Did your mom or dad bring you here today?"

"They're dead." Maureen said flatly and then looked up at Heather.

The torment and sadness Heather saw in her eyes almost broke her heart. "Oh honey, I'm so sorry!" Heather said and then hugged the girl. When she felt her stop trembling, she pulled away and looked in the girl in the eyes.

Hoping to distract Maureen from thoughts of her parents, Heather asked, "I'm glad you came when you did. Would you like to help me get ready for the other children?"

The girl nodded her head and proceeded to help Heather. Just as they were finished the other children started to file into the classroom.

Heather had decided that she would spend the day doing some ice-breaking activities so that she could get to know the children better. She then had a few activities planned so that she could judge what level the kids were at in reading and math. The last assignment of the day was to write one page on whatever topic they chose.

As class was ending, Heather called Maureen over to her desk and asked her if she would come early next week to help again. There was something about Maureen that tugged at her heart and she was determined to take her under her wing.

Since the school was on Joe's way to the commissary, he told her that that he would meet her in the school lobby. After the children left, Heather checked the time and found she still had about forty five minutes before she had to meet Joe. Heather pulled out the writing assignments and began reading.

Forty-five minutes later, she left the classroom. Just as she reached the school lobby Joe walked in the door. "Hello, Heather, are you ready to go?"

"Yes, let's go. I'm starving!"

Joe laughed at Heather's remark and asked, "How was your first day?"

"It was great! I'm so happy to be teaching again, even if it's only one day a week. I gave them a writing assignment today and just finished reading them. Most of the children chose to write about how their lives had changed after the bombs. I feel so sad for them. They've lost so much. It explains the look of defeat and indifference I see in their faces. I know that things won't ever be the same for them again, but I wonder if there's a way I can reach them, to bring the smile back in their eyes . . ."

"You know, Heather, its unfortunate that they were forced to grow up too fast. There's not much we can do to change it." Joe said.

"Oh, I don't know about that. I'm not naïve enough to think I'll make a difference in all of their lives but if I can reach even one of them that will be reward enough for me." Heather said, her optimistic tone contrasting with Joe's pessimistic one.

They walked in a companionable silence until Heather asked. "I know that the camp opened three weeks after the bombs went off. How did the government manage to accomplish that?"

Joe replied, "One of the camp administrators told me that this camp compound along with five others in other parts of the U.S. were built in 2005 when the Department of Homeland Security awarded a contract with Ralls Engineering and Construction,"

"I never heard about that. Why did the government build them?" Heather asked.

"They were built as detention centers to house American detainees if martial law were declared or to house displaced citizens after a natural disaster. After the bombs, FEMA opened the camps to the refugees."

Heather nodded her head in understanding, "I've heard that conditions at some camps are deplorable . . . they're overcrowded, there's not enough food to go around and sanitary conditions are horrible. Worse is the violence and crime that people are forced to live with. I understand that this is the only camp where the residents are free to come and go as they please."

"Yes, all that's true." Joe replied and then continued, "People in this camp are very lucky. It was turned into a ‘poster child' of FEMA camps once the government was established in Cheyenne. What really sets this camp apart from others is its low crime rate, due to the military presence in the capital and the community services it offers."

Heather nodded in agreement. She had been given a run down of the services the camp provided by the Camp Orientation Manager the first day she was in camp. Medical care was provided to all residents and adult education programs were set up to train residents in the skills they would need to live productive lives once the camp closed and they were reabsorbed into American life. All children in the camp were required to attend school and there were many programs that the children could participate in after school to keep them busy and out of trouble. The camp even had a job placement service where the government, as well as other companies just getting up and running after the bombs, posted job openings. In addition to screening applicants for these jobs, the service provided career counseling to the camp residents.

Before long Heather and Joe were at the commissary. Joe opened the door and allowed Heather to enter first. They went up to the counter and both chose a sandwich, two cookies and a bottle of water for lunch. After paying the cashier they sat down at a table next to a window and began to eat. Heather and Joe both felt comfortable in each other's presence and didn't feel the need to fill the silence with conversation. After a few minutes Heather asked Joe about his life before the bombs.

Joe hesitated a minute before replying. After Heather had told him that she worked for the government as an Information Analyst couple of weeks ago he had decided that she could be the government contact he was looking for. He also realized that it was too soon to approach her. He had to be careful how he responded to her question. He knew she was perceptive and that it was important that she believed him. He decided to go with a modified version of the truth.

"Before the bombs, I was the director at a boot camp for delinquent kids. Before you say anything . . . there are a lot of bad camps out there but I ran one of the best. There were never any reports of physical or mental abuse. The staff and I prided ourselves on our abilities to turn kids around using patience and hard work. The major part of the program was two months out in the wilderness. We taught the kids how to find food and water and how to build shelter. It was a very rewarding experience for me."

Heather nodded her head. "You know that I taught third grade in a small Kansas town before the bombs exploded. I loved my job. I agree that teaching, in whatever form, is rewarding. I used to love seeing the kids' faces light up when they finally understood what I was trying to teach them. It was a great feeling! I hope one day to get back to doing it full time. So where did you learn your survival skills from?"

"Mostly in the military," replied Joe. "I also lived with a survival expert in the Rockies. After spending three months with him, he told me I had learned everything he could teach me and told me to leave. He wanted to get back to his reclusive life. I really learned a lot from him especially about surviving in the middle of winter."

"How did you go from learning how to be a survivalist to running a camp for troubled kids?" Heather asked, unable to see the connection.

"My brother-in-law died in a car accident and left behind my sister, a fifteen year old son and ten year old daughter. The death of my brother-in-law really hit my nephew hard and he started acting up and getting into trouble. My sister just couldn't handle him anymore. One day, two of his friends and him were caught stealing a car. I went to juvenile court and talked to the judge and the district attorney. I asked that they be released into my custody. I outlined a reformation plan where I would take them camping in Glacier National Park and give them a lesson in surviving. Through hard work and learning the necessity for depending on others to survive it would teach them the values that they needed to change their ways. Apparently it worked. After we returned home, my nephew and friends started buckling down and doing well in school." 

Joe continued, "My nephew is now...was vice-president of his senior class and had been applying to Ivy League colleges. Anyways, when I returned from camp with the boys, my nephew's friends' parents wrote to the judge and told them how my program worked for their kids. With the help of the judge, I became certified with the state to work with teens in the juvenile system. The program's success rate was high. All of the kids in the program who were close to graduating high school either went on to college or were accepted into good trade schools."

Heather looked at her watch and said, "Oh my gosh, Joe! Time has just flown by.  It's already three o'clock and my bus leaves at three thirty. I better get going."

"Okay, I'll walk you to the bus stop." Joe replied.

On the way back to the bus stop, Heather thought about Joe's story, interested in learning more about his background, she asked, "How did you end up in Cheyenne?"

 "My sister and her family lived in Sterling, Colorado. My niece was really into ballet and my sister promised her a trip to Denver to see the Colorado Ballet at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House.  She asked me to stay at her house and keep an eye on my nephew. At the last minute, my nephew decided to go with them to look at the University of Colorado in Denver. Since I needed some quiet time, I decided to stay there until they returned from their trip. They arrived in Denver the day before the bombs hit."

"I'm so sorry to hear that," said Heather replied. 

"Yes, well...it's been difficult. They were the only family I had left" replied Joe, "After the bombs went off, refugees from the areas surrounding Denver started coming into Sterling. It was more than they could handle. The town officials heard that this was the nearest FEMA camp that treated its occupants decently. They asked me to lead a group of refugees here. Since I've come, I've been trying to make myself useful. I have been volunteering around the camp where ever needed while trying to decide what it is I want to do with the rest of my life."

"Did you ever think to apply for a job with the government security force? You've had military experience. It might qualify you for the job." Heather asked.

"No, that's the last thing I want to do. I don't work really well in structured environments." The look he gave Heather told her the subject was closed and they walked the rest of the way to the bus stop in silence.

When they reached the bus stop, Joe turned to Heather and said. "You know Heather; I'd really like to get to know you better. Would you like to get together for dinner tomorrow?

"I don't know . . .," Heather said apprehensively. She got the impression that maybe Joe was looking to be more than just friends. It was a step that she knew she wasn't ready to take.

"Look, Heather, it's not a date . . . it's just friends getting together. I'll take the bus and get off at the capitol bus stop. You can meet me there after work and we can decide what to do. "

"Oh . . . okay," Heather replied, relieved that she was wrong about Joe's intentions. "Why don't we meet there at six o'clock?"

"Sounds like a plan," Joe replied.

*******************************************

Somewhere between New Bern and Cheyenne

Goetz was sitting across the table staring down Constantino.

Constantino's nefarious look was exaggerated by the rage surging through his body. With his black, beady eyes and beard, he looked like the devil himself. He was ranting, "I never saw your betrayal coming. You told me that the government wanted the war with Jericho but what did they do instead? They send the army to save them."

In an attempt to fuel Constantino's anger, Goetz replied, "There are some things that your little mind will never understand. You never did see the bigger picture, did you?"

"What the hell are you talking about? You made me promises. You agreed that in return for my allegiance not only would I remain in charge of New Bern but I would also oversee the Jericho operation! What other picture is there to see?!"

"Yeah . . . yeah . . . well, too bad. You know you only have one person to blame and that's not me," Goetz replied.

"If it isn't you, who is it?" Constantino was clearly getting more agitated.

"It's that girl from Jericho. Heather Lisinski. She's alive, you know. She's the one who warned the army. She's the one who brought this all down on you. She knows too much and she's gonna make your life a living hell. It's a shame she's alive," Goetz remarked, intentionally inciting Constantino. "If she were dead, she couldn't testify against you. It would be your word against Eric Green's. You could get back everything you lost."

Constantino stopped pacing. With a curse, he punched a hole in the wall before beginning to pace again. Goetz could see that the mention of Heather's name had pushed him over the edge. He sat half-listening to the ramblings of New Bern's former Sheriff.

"If it wasn't for that girl I wouldn't be in this mess right now. . . things would have been the way they were supposed to be . . . she spoiled it all for me . . . Jericho should be under my control right now. . . It's their fault our town was ransacked by the likes of you . . . I would have had my revenge on Jericho . . . I bet she went straight to Jake and Eric Green and told them everything she knew . . ."

At the mention of Eric Green, Goetz stood up and walked over Constantino. He put his hands on his shoulders and shook him to bring him back to the present.  "Did you say Eric Green?" He asked, remembering the name of on the Kansas license he found that day in Rouge River when half of his unit had been killed.

"Yes, that damned girl is a friend of the Green boys. As a matter of fact, she and Eric became closer when they worked at the factory together. Hell, maybe they were lovers. I don't know. But Green was the one who helped her sabotage the factory."

The crazed look came back into Constantino eyes and he shoved Goetz's hands off his shoulder. He looked Goetz straight in the eye and demanded, "Where is she? I need to know!" 

"She's in Cheyenne," was Goetz's reply.

Later that evening . . .

After a finishing the dinner his guard gave him, Constantino started pacing the floor again and began ranting.

"I had such plans. That contract for the mortar production would have ensured the survival of New Bern's citizens and it would have been all mine! Mine!  Do you know what Goetz promised me? He said that I could remain in charge of New Bern and get to run the Jericho operation! I would have had control over the fate of everyone in Jericho.  Any of their citizens who couldn't work the farms or mine salt would have been sent to the FEMA camp outside Rouge River." Constantino muttered. "It's all her fault that I'm didn't get what I was promised. If I ever get out of here, I'm gonna kill her. She'll be dead, the first one I kill when I get out of here. "

"Yeah, whatever," said the guard. "Shut up! I'm getting sick of listening to you. If you don't quiet down, I'm going to gag you."

Constantino stopped his ranting but continued to pace the floor. He couldn't stop thinking about his situation. A few minutes later, he looked at the guard who was just beginning to doze off, his gun sitting on the table.  He quickly walked to the table and grabbed the gun.  He then gathered up the food and water that were left with him and walked out into the night.

Goetz walked into the room a few minutes later and shook the guard. "Well, did it work?"

"Like a charm. She's the first one he's going after."

A small smile crossed Goetz's face. The death of Heather Lisinski would not only eliminate a threat to the entire operation but it would be the first step in his revenge against Eric Green for killing his men at Rogue River.